• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Rocky Road ~ House of Brisa, Dave, Koa, and Owen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen nodded, tail swishing behind him. His room was noticeably tidy, perhaps because he had gotten tired of constantly flicking his tail in anything in the way. Most of his books had been moved to a further corner. "I've felt lighter, mentally. I think I've had that little thing in my head this whole time that I got used to it. But, it's sort of like... taking off training weights and realizing how light you really feel afterward, you know?"

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Sure."

Brisa didn't go in for training weights much, but she likened it to carrying a heavy pack on a trip and returning with it lighter.

"Well, I'm glad of it," she remarked. "It's good t'see you in a happier state. And it's good yer safe."

Her chest twinged at that. One of the drawbacks of this life on Cibus. Always worrying about one's friends.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen tilted his head. He had caught that. But he also knew it was rude to analyze every little thing. So, he kept it cheerful; she could bring it up if she wanted. "I'm glad people don't worry about me as much," he said. "Real change of pace, in a way. I think people joke about me more than worry about me, and I think I prefer it that way." He brought his head down again, stretching like a feline. "How about you? How've things been going?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa offered a dry smile, but it wasn't a heavy one.

"I always worry about ya, but I always worry about everyone," she told him. "Probably less about you than most, seein' as you handle yerself better'n the average posse fighter. As fer how thing's've been goin'..."

Well, there was always the looming apocalypse of Eien's storm. The ominous encampment of Soda on the moon. The dim awareness that there was more to it all than they even knew.

But still...

Her mouth curved up at the corner as she recalled recent, happier events. Training, hiking, and meals out with Astrid. Hanging out with Koa and their shades. Spectating at the Colosseum with all her friends. Beating up gods with the gals she cared for most. Starr's arm around her shoulders and her head on Starr's chest...

"Real good," she said. "Real goddamn good."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
There was a new look in Owen's eyes then, something serene and relaxed. He let the silence settle in, and then he nodded.

"That's great," he said, and then he flicked his tail again. "It looks to me like you're putting some priority into comfort instead of duty all the time. I think it's going to pay off even better than you've been doing, y'know. After all, muscles can only repair themselves and get stronger after you've given them some time to do it."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"It's good advice, and payin' off," she agreed. "You'll have seen how not burnin' out so much is workin' wonders fer me in the Colo, fer instance."

She let herself daydream for a moment about a Colosseum career lasting years, long after all this was over...

"What about yerself? You takin' it easy after all the shit we've been through lately?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Pretty much. I've been meditating like usual, going on a little sightseeing, I actually ran into some, uh, fans during a little bit of that! Er, some were more... excited than others, but I thought it was really nice of them! I've also been trying to spend more time with Cal. I think she's been wanting that more lately..."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Fans, huh?" said Brisa, grinning. "Yeah, I'm aware we got those. Don't tend to run into 'em much what with keepin' as busy as I do. Might take a trip outta DV just to see that fer myself."

She scratched behind her head. "I don't think I've been too much in the loop with Luz fer a while now..."

Why was that, anyway? It wasn't like she had a problem with Luz...

Are you finally fuckin' ready to talk about how you fuckin' died on her, huh?

Yeah, that... Yeah. Now she felt like shit. Okay. Thanks, Sombra.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"She seems happy," said Brisa. "We're more attuned in combat than ever before, an' she's always excited fer Colo matches. Which is good, 'cause I don't know how I'd fare without her in the stands to lend me her aura augmentation or whatever it is. She's been hangin' out with other shades a lot, which is swell."

Talk about it.

Brisa grunted, and turned her attention back to the takeout. Normally she paid for her own food these days, with earnings from dungeons, tuition and Colosseum prizes. Fuck it. Today it was on God's tab.

She flinched at the sigh in the air that meant what it always did.

"We never talked to Luz about our death, an' now it's been months," hissed Sombra. "Poor gal is too anxious to bring it up, an' Brisa's too ashamed."

Actually, having a sapient avatar of your inner feelings around to spill your guts for you was fucking terrible. Brisa wondered what would happen if she Whiplashed her own Shadow.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen tried to suppress a wince, but some of it did emerge through Wishkeeper himself, who quickly looked away. If there was anyone else who could relate to a Shadow spewing their guts without consent...

"Holding things in is kind of like a secret," Owen said. "I've gotten real tired of those. But it's also kind of an open secret, since both of you know, huh? ...But I guess you'll have to talk about it some time. Imagine leaving Luz after this is all over, and never really..."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa sucked air through her teeth. "Wind an' weather, pal. I know. I know."

"So do somethin' about it."

Brisa backed out of payment confirmation on her badge to quickly add some artisan lager and another dessert, and then hit the 'Make God Pay For It' option, claws tapping erratically on the screen.

"I'll talk to her, I guess. Hell, why don't you come out and say shit? I don't even know what to say, but you always seem to."

"That just means you do, really."

She could feel Sombra's eyes on her back. Salt and sand.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"It's true," Owen admitted, though he tried to keep the tone conversational, like he'd been in the same fur. Though, he'd never had fur before. Feathers, sure. But not fur. "Like how Wishkeeper used to be before realizing everyone can hear him now. He and I are the same person. Parts of a mind of the same spirit... So... anything he says... I agree with in at least a small way." He sighed. "You know this, though. But sometimes saying it out loud helps, you know, really make it feel true."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa nodded, and put her badge away, but she still didn't want to turn and face Sombra.

"You ever figure out how come Wishkeeper is audible now?" she asked.

"We don't know how Luz felt when we left," said Sombra, ignoring the distraction. "We don't know how it affected her."

"Can't have been too bad. Everything rolls off her like rain off feathers."

Sombra didn't even bother to argue that one. Brisa lowered her head, and shut her eyes, and hoped the food wouldn't be long.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen frowned, tilting his head the other way like a confused pup.

"A lot rolls off of Owen, too. And look at me." Wishkeeper's featureless eyes bore holes into Brisa's head. "Luz came from you. I wonder if she picked up a habit of trying not to make others worry. I wonder where she got it from, seeing how burdened you are, and how much Luz knows that."

"I think he became audible around the same time my final form started to, you know, manifest. I think it was a precursor. Became so strong that he's more... tangible."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa groaned, and dragged a beanbag over to Owen's living space to slump over. She'd been in such a good mood, until Cal came up, and by extension, Luz.

"She's tryin' to be what y'always wanted to be. Unaffected by things. But that's not somethin' a person can be. You dyin' affected her. Of course it did."

"I get it," said Brisa, sighing. "I promise, I'll talk to her."

"Text her."

Brisa glared at her Shadow. "My inner demons are tellin' me t'send text messages now?"

"Uhuh."

Brisa growled to herself, and obliged her obsidian doppelganger.

[Brisket > Zest]: hey, can we talk

There. Good enough.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"I'll be there if you want," Owen offered, bringing a wing over Brisa when she moved her beanbag closer. "It's... hard, huh? But I don't know if Luz would like a crowd or anything. You'd know better than me..."

But their mission was tomorrow. Would they even have the time?

Ruined the mood again. "Hey... it'll be alright," Owen assured her. "Luz might be bothered, but if there's anything, she's still strong. Can't deny that, right?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa sighed, and smiled at her friend.

"Yeah, partner, I reckon we'll do better one-on-one. But I sore appreciate the offer."

[Zest > Brisket]: any time!!! 😺🖤 ilu breezie

Yeah. It'd be fine.

"C'mon, let's watch a movie or somethin'," said Brisa. "Somethin' dumb an' full of good fights."

Owen seemed amenable to that, so she flicked through for something that looked fun. She had a feeling Owen enjoyed watching recorded fights where his Perceive wouldn't spoil any surprises, though he hadn't said as much. It'd help take their mind off things anyway, while they ate together. The food would be here soon, and she'd feel better after that. And, hey, don't forget – she could do that. Spend quality time with a friend and share a meal. That was special.

Yeah, she had plenty to be grateful for.

<><><><><>​

R14 – Thunderclap

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa hung about outside the house that night, waiting for Luz to come home. They'd agreed to talk, but Luz wasn't big on exact scheduling, and Brisa found herself pacing, nerves heightened.

Relax, came the now-familiar voice of her Shadow. Yer only afraid that you ain't been good to her. And Luz will forgive that. You know she will.

Sure, but it still felt fucking bad.

Eventually, Luz did turn up, swinging her arms and beaming broadly from ear to ear. That was her all over. Or at least, it had been. There'd been something of a change in her of late... It was good to see that old irrepressible smile.

"Y'wanted a word?" asked the shade.

"Somethin' like that," replied Brisa.

Luz nodded, and gestured to the roof. Brisa chuckled, and accepted the invitation. Of course they both liked rooftop stargazing. And why not? She scaled the wall easily, and joined Luz up high. From on top of a building, a conversation could feel very private.

"I've been meanin' to talk t'you too," said Luz, after a moment's peace. "I figure I'll go first. Make things easy on ya. I know how y'are with these things. You worry too much."

Brisa nodded, already worried that she was about to receive some criticism or censure or shaming, despite Luz's easy tone. "Yeah?"

"Well... I ain't just a combat partner t'ya, y'know?"

"No. I know that."

Luz chuckled. "C'mon. Lighten up a li'l. Lemme see this zeraora form of yers up close. So far I've always been in the stands or in my stone."

Brisa bit her lip, and transformed, taking that bipedal form she'd begun adopting for battle that so resembled Luz. They could be close family, if not for Luz's composition of exotic molasses. In a way, they were. Or maybe even closer than that, Brisa thought, looking at the way Luz moved and spoke and acted so much like a daydream version of herself, had she grown up with more joy, and less hurt. Brisa stilled herself, and listened to what her divergent self had to say.

"That's better," said Luz, smiling warmly. "Now y'look like me. We're... We're both this idea of us. The would-be Wanderin' Lights. Legends in our own lifetimes, huh?"

"Sure," Brisa replied, with a hesitant grin and a quiet chuckle. "I guess we're both different ways t'be 'this', huh?"

"Yeah."

There was a lull, as Luz studied Brisa, and Brisa looked more carefully at Luz than she had in a while. The shade had changed, a little. Her eyes and marks glowed a little brighter. Her 'fur' was a little more well-defined. She felt more solid, somehow.

Luz broke the silence first.

"Look, we both know why things're . . . strange. And I know y'don't like talkin' about what happened. Maybe we don't have to. I mean, fer my sake, I wanted t'feel like there was more t'me than bein' yer familiar, and that's... It's kinda what I've been workin' on. I've been speakin' to Joule, to Zeraora, to Luz Escarpa. I've been hangin' out with other shades. I've been thinkin'. And... Well, there is more to me than that. We ain't so essential to each other than I don't exist outside of yer life."

Brisa nodded slowly, chewing her cheek, wondering why something that ought to come as a relief filled her with shame.

Luz grinned. "C'mon, that's great news. But listen. I got somethin' to ask ya. But I'd care to hear what you wanted t'say first. Humour me."

Brisa took a hard breath in, and swallowed. "Okay."

How to reply to that, huh? Luz made everything seem so hard when she was confident, and so easy when she was frazzled. And she'd never been more confident than this. Even though Brisa had been taking her for granted. Letting her down.

"I guess I just wanted t'say sorry," she said, softly. "Fer not payin' you enough mind since I... Since I died."

Luz nodded, grinned, put out a paw and gave Brisa's shoulder a squeeze. "I forgive you."

Brisa laughed sharply, gulping down what might have been the start of a sob. Luz laughed too, properly.

"That you did," said the shade. "But it's okay. You can make it up to me. First thing after the fight, let's just... hang out together. Just the two of us. Somethin' other than trainin'. Somethin' other than Colo. Somethin' to bond over that ain't useful. Somethin' fun. Y'reckon y'can do that fer me, darlin'?"

Brisa let out all the breath that remained in her, and took in new air, fresh night air, untainted by the guilt.

"Yeah," she said. "I'd love to."

<><><><><>​

Last edited:
R15 ~ Koa & Brisa

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Koa trotted back home, his steps light and his mood bright. He'd gone out with Echo to get some breakfast, then enjoyed a pleasant walk with his starter. And best of all, he'd practiced in the solitude of the park and found he could still transform into that new form he'd taken on during their battle.

He still had trouble mantaining it for too long, but it wasn't hard to tap into that power. The strength he had, the size, and that new energy. He could feel it. Not just electricity, but the power of combat. He was part fighting-type.

Maybe Brisa was home. With all the chaos during the fight, he hadn't gotten a chance to properly show off his cool new power. With a bounce in his step he hurried inside. "Hey Brisa!" he called. "You home?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom