• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Review Blitz III: General Chat & Hype Thread

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
So, I haven't had as successful a Blitz as I'd hoped for, but it's understandable, really. Ongoing breakup, evacuating to a friend's house, that friend testing positive for Covid, among other things. Bit strung out, as you can imagine. Nonetheless, I'm storming ahead with reviews as best I can! I've been binging TQftL to get myself warmed up, and I hope to review a bunch more stuff real soon. Wish me luck? 😼

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
Best of luck!

kintsugi

golden scars | pfp by sun
the warmth of summer in the songs you write
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. silvally-grass
  2. lapras
  3. golurk
  4. booper-kintsugi
  5. meloetta-kint-muse
  6. meloetta-kint-dancer
  7. murkrow
  8. yveltal
my week 3 plans end up colliding across Thursday-Sunday anyway, so! who knows. I'm both making excellent headway and horrible headway on my original list, in the sense that I actually knocked out a few things on there and then realized I had sixty more things I hadn't listed. soft goals for the weekend:

- missing several oneshots from week 2, offhand i don't think any of them qualify for theme, but oops
- some catnip circlebacks for electric sheep and HSC
- widely acclaimed fic dragon's danger???
- some things that are broken
- it's been 26 years but i haven't
- do I have thoughts on foregone conclusion? tune in at 8
- tfw it has been 3000 years and the stars have given me new Suicune's Choice content and it makes me sad and pen just says:
ezgif-7-2fc3a0f4fd.gif

Last edited:

kintsugi

Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. silvally-grass
  2. lapras
  3. golurk
  4. booper-kintsugi
  5. meloetta-kint-muse
  6. meloetta-kint-dancer
  7. murkrow
  8. yveltal
Weekly Fic Rec(s)

this is the part of the month where I get to proudly brag about the people who are slaying it on the ladder, part 1

26 years - by bluesidra
Blue has single-handedly reviewed almost 10% of the chapters read in Blitz this year and that's fucking bonkers because the amount of chapters read in Blitz this year is 896. If the math checks out, which it does, that means there's a 100% chance she deserves to hear back from us.

26 years is a really fascinating take on time travel and isekai, and at its core it gets to dig at questions about duty and purpose--who are you when those things are taken away? For everyone who likes protagonists who loudly claim everything is Fine (when, shhhhh, it's really not all that fine), this is here in spades, and also in retro 80's-themed track suits. Everything past chapter 5 is eligible, and the chapters are pretty short and breezy, so it's a great light read if you want to also be struck with thoughts about how the idea of constantly living/unliving/reliving/unliving all of your mistakes via the grandfather paradox is actually pretty close to just existing with anxiety.

Path of Valor - by Ambyssin
Ambyssin claimed that he was going to be too busy to do much in Review Blitz. Survey says this is a lie.

Path of Valor is widely-read on a lot of other sites, so I get why it's a little quieter on the reviews-side from users endemic to here, but I do think it's got a lot of things that authors here might appreciate. Pulling heavy inspiration from anime and featuring a colorful cast of side characters, this story centers around Yuna, dreepy princess who's an exchange student in the Fairy Kingdom. One part school drama and one part "oops the monsters are gonna end the world again", there's a lot of drama here that's very rooted and a lot that's very much larger than life. I'm also told that there's a lot of Final Fantasy references, which I can't really verify, but it's a lot of fun.

I believe chapters after 10 are eligible for the week, although Ambyssin would need to confirm.

A Porygon's Guide to Dungeon Items - by windskull
windskull and Pano are tied for the most authors reviewed during Blitz so far (23! 23 authors! that's so many!), so realistically if you're one of the 38 Blitz participants reading this there's basically a 1 in 2 chance you've received a review from windskull.

I compare this fic to playing Animal Crossing--I think the best word for it is "cozy"; it's a really fun flavor of fiction-nonfiction that gives a lot of realistic grounding to some of the more bonkers aspects of the pokemon universe (specifically the PMD one, although currently we're on berries, so there's a little something for everyone). This fic oozes charm and has some really, really loving gardening and horticulture descriptions--again, not really a thing I ever thought I was craving in fanfiction, but one that I realized I was once I started reading this story. GRRM is entirely wrong when he says that no one asks about Aragorn's tax policy; everyone needs to know how Kecleon enact policies to look out for Oren/Oran berries or that people make cute little wreaths out of mago leaves. There are a bajillion different flavors of delicious worldbuilding in here and you're sure to find something. Everything past the second chapter appears to be eligible.

(If you want something a little more traditional, wind also writes Places We Call Home, a PMD fic about living with your mistakes).

The Long Road - by Panoramic Vacuum
Pano and windskull are literally destroying the ladder; it is terrifying; again, there is a 1 in 2 chance that you've received a review from Pano in the past 20 days and that's actually bonkers.

The Long Road is a story about people who like rocks, and specifically details the origin story of Steven Stone. Everyone who wants fluff, fun times with humans just hanging out and having a good time vibing with pokemon, interesting backstories about gym leaders, anime-style fights where there's diligence paid to game mechanics but people are actually having to think through their actions, love letters to Hoenn--this is shit that's on pretty much everyone's fic bingo card, and it's also stuff that Pano lovingly writes about in her story. There's a lot of surface level memes I could make about ronks or general gushing about how there's AN ENORMOUS RHINOCEROUS THAT LOVES TO GARDEN, but at its core there's also a really compelling emotional story here that I think most people on TR would really love.

I think everything past chapter 3 is eligible.

-

(general note that since I am not the author here and I'm not quite as meticulous as tracking these as I would be if I were actually logging these for the ladder, I might have the chapter eligibilities off--feel free to message/lmk and I can update!)

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Week 3 Fic Rec:

Batty by @canisaries is only two chapters in so far, but it's worth a read, and if you're damn quick you can still get a Week 3 theme half-point for the second chapter! It's a charming little PMD fic about a flustered young noivern waitress who one night encounters a handsome mysterious incineroar whose profession may involve combat and/or piety, and a zubat with uncommonly long fangs. I think we all know where this is going. It's very cute, and I immediately remembered I hadn't written a fic rec for the week after reading it, because my first impulse was to rec it to people. It's very character-driven and has that charming 'pre-modern pokémon civilisation' vibe many of us greatly enjoy. About 6k words a chapter and with breezy prose, it's an easy, fun read! And what's more, it's one of the rare fics that actually gets me laughing aloud. Cheers~

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
So, I haven't had as successful a Blitz as I'd hoped for, but it's understandable, really. Ongoing breakup, evacuating to a friend's house, that friend testing positive for Covid, among other things. Bit strung out, as you can imagine. Nonetheless, I'm storming ahead with reviews as best I can! I've been binging TQftL to get myself warmed up, and I hope to review a bunch more stuff real soon. Wish me luck? 😼
Luck wished indeed. Were you aiming to get a certian prize via points? I doubt I will get up to 40 so any points after 20 i dont mind donating if you want a specific prize but vant earn up to life being life and what not. Granted if point donating is allowed....

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Were you aiming to get a certian prize via points?
Ha, thanks, but to be honest I'm not that worried about prizes. I hope I get something nice, of course, but I'm just trying to give people reviews. I'm actually doing better than a lot of people, just not as well as I'd hoped for (my ambition being what it is!) But you're very kind.

kintsugi

Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. silvally-grass
  2. lapras
  3. golurk
  4. booper-kintsugi
  5. meloetta-kint-muse
  6. meloetta-kint-dancer
  7. murkrow
  8. yveltal
attention! we have blown past the total reviews/words/chapters/everything from last year and week 4 has just started :o

kintsugi

Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. silvally-grass
  2. lapras
  3. golurk
  4. booper-kintsugi
  5. meloetta-kint-muse
  6. meloetta-kint-dancer
  7. murkrow
  8. yveltal
Weekly Fic Recs
(aka shilling some of those really really cool cats on the ladder, part 2, the journey never ends)

Hospice - by bluesidra
I used the word "slaps" four times in my review of this because this fic really slaps. Also, if we were to convert blue's Blitz points into dollars, they would be roughly equivalent to the GDP of a small country. This is how math works.

Hospice is about growing rice, exploring the countryside, and laying demons to rest. Some of those demons might not even be your own. It's like if you put The Witcher and Spiritfarer into a blender; one part old-timey exploration/mythological-supernatural discussion of the best way to find and locate the troublesome spirits who are terrorizing a lonely farm, and one part empathy and compassion for the spirits of the departed. It's also only one chapter so far, so a breezy read and then you can join the :sadbees: club waiting for updates. There's some really rich language in here, some cool Johto religion/worldbuilding, and there's definitely something up with the narrator, too ...

Context Switch - by Spiteful Murkrow
Spiteful Murkrow casually shattered the "review word count" record in Week 3 and has written 82,000+ words this month in reviews alone. Sometimes I joke about writing novels worth of feedback; Spiteful Murkrow actually does it! Definitely check out their work if you're looking to hit up a fellow Blitz participant this week.

Context Switch is a delightfully wholesome story set in the Pokemon gameverse about the people who make the Pokemon games. It is oozing with references to the various glitches and production decisions that were made during the development of Ruby/Sapphire, and in general it's mostly tongue-in-cheek but also a really heartwarming imagining of the behind-the-scenes lives of the people who made the games that made our childhood. That being said, it's got a really cute character/emotional core and is perfectly enjoyable if you're more or less dev-blind. It's also got a tropius, which is immediately qualification for s-tier fic imo.

But How Will it Be - by Just a Torchic
Torchic's been on fire this year! This is a joke about fire-types. But closing off Week 3 with 33 stories reviewed and 21 authors reviewed, you've probably heard from this newcomer in some capacity in the past 20 days or so ...

But How Will It Be is a drabble collection focusing on Steven, Winona, and Wallace in various stages of their lives, mostly from before they made it big, or even knew each other at all. Told in bite-sized chunks, this fic does a great job of playing the character's different perspectives and situations off of one another, so that even before the characters actually meet for the first time, it feels like they've all been in dialogue the whole time. Short and (mostly) sweet, but unafraid to take a glimpse at some of the darker parts that come with growing up, this one's sure to fill your Hoenn cravings.

-

will probably be back for more tbh! kinda cliche but this is my favorite week because it's a lot of fun to get people in the spirit of sharing the love

kintsugi

Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. silvally-grass
  2. lapras
  3. golurk
  4. booper-kintsugi
  5. meloetta-kint-muse
  6. meloetta-kint-dancer
  7. murkrow
  8. yveltal

slamdunkrai

bing.com
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. darkrai
  2. snom
Among other things, college has gotten in the way of my ability to get basically any reviewing done for the last two weeks, though I do want to get to 65 points total by the end of the event and plan to get back on the horse before the timer runs out. Absolutely delightful to see everyone light it up in this last week though! This has been a delightful thing to both participate in and witness, and looking at everyone's scores is wildly impressive. :>

kintsugi

Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. silvally-grass
  2. lapras
  3. golurk
  4. booper-kintsugi
  5. meloetta-kint-muse
  6. meloetta-kint-dancer
  7. murkrow
  8. yveltal
through a series of hilariously bad decisions, I actually arranged things in my life such that I would have no time during the final weekend of blitz to do anything at all. irony at its finest. psa to anyone gunning for second place on the ladder that I'm holding off on my mega review on making it big for when Pen fixes the crossposting and not because I'm secretly going to snipe 45 points in the last hour or something; my seat is entirely up for grabs and honestly I'm incredibly proud to have been dethroned this year. y'all are amazing.

unknown.png

anyway I know it'd be fully in-character for me to make six different posts calling out six different people to utterly destroy me on the ladder so I could look super cool later, but please understand that I was both fully expecting and fully excited to get annhilated here. legacy is planting seeds in a garden you never get to see, and also watching your kids completely obliterate you.

for nostalgia's sake:
but here it is, alphabetized!
  • Broken Things - honestly i did decent headway here and tripled my review count for the year ...
  • Continental Divides (i KNOW right) - WE DON'T TALK ABOUT BRUNO-NO-NO-NO
  • Dragon's Dance - WE DON'T TALK ABOUT BRUNOOOOOOOO but also i'm glad that I finally drew that cloud
  • Foregone Conclusion
  • Hey, Space Cadet! - oh god slamdunkrai i'm so sorry
  • The Long Road
  • Making It Big - good fic upd8 more
  • Instruments of Creation - i suck
  • i owe love like six things and i forgot all of them
  • Salvage - if this fic would stop punching me in the gut it'd be a lot easier to review, thanks, bye
  • White Swan, Black Swan
  • to be continued ... forever, always ... - i sort of made this as a funny joke but this was too real, help
I'm actually really proud of my progress here even though I have, as per usual, managed to scope creep this very simple to-do list into reviewing a hundred different chapters in light of procrastinating forming coherent thoughts on stories that make me feel Things. Sometimes it's about momentum! At the very least I think I still have the energy to revisit these in the upcoming weeks and continue chipping away at my own reading list, so overall I'm going to chalk this up as a successful attempt. also I have enough points to commission several vanilluxe/blacephelon shitposts, which I see as an absolute win for me and a questionable win for anyone who's volunteered to be commissioned ...
at least two of these I have promised "if I don't finish this by blitz you can [have my firstborn or something equivalent]", so this should be ... good.
the real answer for why millennials aren't having kids that doctors don't want you to know--they actually swore (and lost) all of their firstborns in this really esoteric fanfic game ...

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Yeah, probably should've gotten in my postmortem rec in a bit earlier, but eh. Might as well do a shotgun recommendation of things to read in the last 24-ish hours of Review Blitz, focusing on things that are short and good for breathers in between otherwise larger hitlist targets:

Weekly Fic Recs

Legendaries of the Present World - A charming collection of four one-shots each roughly a thousand words long of exactly what it says on the tin, showing Legendaries just taking a moment and being Pokémon themselves. If you ever wanted to see what an Arceus getting belly rubs looks like, or one of the most bittersweet Jirachi tales you'll ever come across, this is the story for you. Highly, highly recommended if you have the bandwidth since @Bluwiikoon has something magical going on there, and even if you come in with cynical motivations to meet a milestone for points, you'll be all but guaranteed to be wanting more by the end of it.

Hoenn Short Stories Collection: The Elite - Basically, imagine LotPW, but for the Hoenn Elite 4 and the various members of the Hoenn League. It's a surprisingly well-rounded collection of little hijinks that Steven Stone and company get up to that will make you laugh, smile, and get some feels every now and there. It's 27 chapters, each averaging about a thousand words in length and great for dropping in a quick read and review as a palette-cleanser between your targets. There's apparently 50 of these things, and @Panoramic_Vacuum updates weekly with bundles of 3, so if you fall in love in these twilight hours of Review Blitz, there will be plenty more cute E4 shenanigans to keep you going through the year.

Making it Big - Lena is a girl from Castelia City who wants to be the very best, like no one ever was... except she's dead broke and so's the rest of her family. But that won't stop her. With her grit, street smarts, and trusty Rattata companion Champ, the Unova League's hers for the taking. Simple, right? Haven't made it all that far into this one yet, but just what I've gotten through has shown off a really novel take by @Pen of Pokémon training that I don't think I've ever seen done before. The chapters are short and digestible, and it paints a picture of a wild, kinda scruffy world that you're bound to fall in love with as Lena and Champ try to find their way in it.

Luceat Lux Vestra - I admittedly have some structural quibbles with the last chapter that's currently up, but it's charming enough that I'll throw a rec at it and @silurica 's hard work anyways. One day, a wandering painter doing field work for a professor that totally isn't just a random mountaineer gets the shock of their life when they play the Azure Flute at the summit of Mount Coronet and is promptly greeted by a mysterious man in white and quickly gets roped along into a quest chasing down divine artifacts as an... erm... 'servant'? Definitely worth a gander for if you have a thing for Legendary Pokémon mingling with humans and having a giggle at rants some of features of the modern Pokéworld we take for granted being heresy. :V

Now, if you're in the mood for shameless self-advertisement, I do have quite the writing catalogue to be looked through. If you're looking for cold, hard points, you'd likely be well-served with Context Switch or Dragonspiral's Children , which I shilled back in Week 3. Both nice and short, and with repeat bonuses awaiting you if you make it to the end (or even to the halfway point in the case of Context Switch).

Happy reading everyone, it's been a wild ride, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the dust settles. ^^

Last edited:

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Week 4 Fic Rec:

The Legendarian Chronicles, by @Chibi Pika . I can't not recommend this for one of the Blitz weeks, now, can I? It's one of the vanishingly few longfics I've actually caught up with, it's a 20-year-old passion project in its twelfth revision, over 50 chapters deep and more than halfway to the projected end, it does all the classic epic non-badgequest journeyfic stuff in top tier style, and it's an incredibly compelling story replete with gorgeous chapter illustrations and fantastic characters getting put through the wringer on a constant basis from the very start. It is, quite simply, a wonderful fic. And I recommend it to any fan of Pokémon. Now's a really good time to get into it if you haven't already, as Chibi has just updated several of the earliest chapters to meet their current standards of prose and worldbuilding, and provide additional characterisation and foreshadowing that I personally beta'd for them and am thoroughly delighted with. I'm very proud of my friend and I want everyone to read their fic!

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
I've been ill, goddamnit, and deprived of sleep due to constantly coughing at night, and augh, it makes working on Blitz so hard. But I am nothing if not tenacious. I will be Going Ape Shitt shortly, and just dropped a couple reviews. I'm about to drop a couple more. And later today I plan to drop several more. Agh, let's go!

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
I'm running a little late, but I'm here with both my Week 3 and Week 4 recs to top off the blitz.

Week Three: The Long Road by Panoramic Vaccum

The long road is a series of oneshot-like chapters following the journey of Steven Stone as he goes through his pokemon journey on the road to becoming champion. As of right now, I've nearly caught up with this fic and it has regularly wowed me. Pano does an amazing job of keeping tension and has excellent pacing. Some of the chapters are told out of sequential order, and it can be fun to see something that takes place in the future, then later get to see what led to that. And in some chapters, it's not just an origin story for Steven, but for other major Hoenn characters as well. I don't normally go out of my way to read canon character fics, but I highly recommend this one to anyone that's looking for some Hoenn fun.

Honorable mentions: Path of Valor by Ambyssin and Hands of Creation by Namohysip

Week Four: Fledglings by Fobbie and Virgil

I'll admit, I'm a bit biased here. I read Fledgings before I ever began writing my own fic, and I honestly consider it a major inspiring factor that got me to actually start writing. This fic is a long-running, episodic story about a Baby lugia traveling from island to island as he runs from forces that would like to use his power for their own gain. The fic has strong Avatar the Last Airbender vibes. And the deeper I get into the story, the more complex some of the longrunning antagonistic characters become. It makes it clear that this isn't a ragtag bunch of young heroes against a bunch of one-dimensional villains.

Each episode runs around 3-8 chapters long, and is treated like it's own little novella, which makes it easy to pick up one part at a time.. So if you're not sure about it, try giving he first episode a shot and see if it sticks with you like it did me. And if it doesn't? It just feels like a nice little adventure with sequel bait.

Honorable Mention: Heroes After All by Umbramatic

Last edited:

WildBoots

Don’t underestimate seeds.
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. moka-mark
  2. solrock
Good work, everyone! 🌟 ✨ 🎉

Bluwiikoon

waow!
Pronouns
He/him
Partners
  1. nosepass-bluwiikoon
I'm so proud I managed to do some reviews! :D I was expecting an output of 0 from myself due to circumstances, so I really surpassed my own expectations! ^^ FEELING POSITIVE AND HAPY :quag:

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Congrats, everyone! This was a great year, and I hope everyone had a good time and got to read some fics they'd been meaning to check out but hadn't.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with how well I did this year. I caught up with eight different fics, which is pretty wild to me. it's always a trade-off--there were several authors I wanted to review and then didn't hit at all since I was putting so many reviews into a small number of fics. Next year I'll probably try to lean a little more towards reviewing widely, but it's still gratifying to be up to date on several stories I'd fallen behind on (or not even started).

Of course, of the two fics I said I wanted to catch up on, I only actually managed that for... one. And didn't even get a single review in on Dragon's Dance. I expect to catch up with WSBS on Tuesday, and after that, DD's what I'll be tackling next. Going to tone things down a bit from Blitz levels, but I hope to stay on the regular-reviewing train, at least for a little while.

WildBoots

Don’t underestimate seeds.
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. moka-mark
  2. solrock
Sharing a prize fill for @love ! (Mostly the line drawing, but I couldn't resist playing with the paint bucket once I'd finished the hard part.) 🍃

Attachments

• love1.jpg
    love1.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 5
  • love2.jpg
    love2.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 5
  • love3.jpg
    love3.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom