• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Original Reminders Of Home (Original Fiction, Oneshot)

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Pronouns
Any
Partners
  1. reshiram
So this is a bit of a weird one.. This was a drabble done for art class, with us being assigned to switch gears and write a poem or short story about another person's piece, and IO was assigned this: View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/191773605@N06/51140663988/in/gallery-187435483@N07-72157719025132663/

Despite not having any writing energy in months I went feral churning out a drabble/scene for this. It's still ONLY a drabble but it's a nice little tie in to my WIP project Gods Of Earth and it's really refreshing I had it in me to write it at all. So behold:

Reminders Of Home

reminders_of_home_cover.png

Dionysus looked around the landscape of the terraformed planet. , or more specifically this valley. There didn't seem to be3 a vineyard in sight.

Disgusting.

"Yo, Dyo!" said a voice.

Dionysus froze. He knew that voice. It was his father Zeus. Why was HE here?

Granted, Dionysus already knew the technical answer to this question. The old gods had been scattered across space in a far future where humanity barely remembered them. But he still questioned why his awful father was bothering HIM when he was critiquing human landscaping!

"Lovely view isn't it son?

"Well, yes," Dionysus said, "but the humans could have do9ne so much more with it! Vineyards, olive trees, maybe an orchard!"

"I dunno dude. It reminds me of... home."

Dionysus paused. Home. Earth. They had been gone there for a long time, and it seemed that here in the far reaches of space they'd be gone for a while longer.

Dionysus' hardened heart did miss it.

:"Yeah dad, it... Kinfda does."

Zeus looked up to the rocky parts of the canyon. "Do you think anything is like, fossilized there?

"Of course not. There was no life here before humans shored up."

Still. Again it made him think. The mythology of the gods was once a living thing, but over time it fossilized, made him and his kin into what they are today.

And now those fossils are wearing away.

"Well, come on, back to the ship, we gotta go, dude," said Zeus.

Dionysus sighed. "Coming..."

He turned to follow Zeus, then looked back at the valley.

Maybe his dopey, flirtatious father was right for once. Maybe this was better the way it was.

A testament to home. A testament to what was left behind.

He hoped they could get back to the real thing.

Last edited:
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. luxio
Hey there, finally here for Catnip (sorry for the delay)!

Dionysus looked around the landscape of the terraformed planet. , or more specifically this valley. There didn't seem to be3 a vineyard in sight.

Disgusting.
I'm a sucker for anything Greek mythology, so I was immediately intrigued. I like that Dionysus seems to be focused on the lack of materials with which to make wine.
The old gods had been scattered across space in a far future where humanity barely remembered them.
Oh, interesting. Also, "old gods", possibly implying there might be new ones?
Well, yes," Dionysus said, "but the humans could have do9ne so much more with it! Vineyards, olive trees, maybe an orchard!"
Again, his focus on the wine-making is good characterization.
Of course not. There was no life here before humans shored up."
Could this imply some kind of extinction event on Earth?? Hmm...

Overall, I thought this was a good little passage! There were some typos and such that tripped me up a little, but I've marked those in a spoiler below. I look forward to reading the full version of this story!

terraformed planet. ,
Extra space and period here
didn't seem to be3
added 3
humans could have do9ne
added 9
Yeah dad, it... Kinfda does."
odd F

BossCar

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/His
A nice little drabble you've written here. I like the Ancient Greek mythology theme.

But he still questioned why his awful father was bothering HIM when he was critiquing human landscaping!

This line's kinda amusing to me. I like how it's worded

Maybe his dopey, flirtatious father was right for once. Maybe this was better the way it was.
From what I know, dopey and flirtatious def. checks out for Zeus.

Top Bottom