• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Reading Rookidee

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
Name of fic: the end: rekindled
Link to fic: Linkity
Number of chapters: hmm lets aim for 5 chapters this time (so 20 -25?)

Last edited:

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Going to put up a more conservative goal this time around since my main reviewing priority in the near term is making good on an offsite review exchange, but I figured I'd throw a couple extras in to spice things up:

Name of fic- PMD: Connected by a Web
Link to fic- https://archiveofourown.org/works/41929218/chapters/105235464
# of Chapters you intend to read - At least 4

Name of fic- Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Path of Valor
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/index.php?threads/pokémon-mystery-dungeon-path-of-valor.370/
# of Chapters you intend to read - At least 1

Name of fic- Will I Follow?
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/threads/will-i-follow.1337/

Last edited:

Nekodatta

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. koraidon-apex
  2. miraidon-ultimate
Name of fic- Legendary Adventures
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/threads/pokemon-legendary-adventures.501/unread
# of Chapters you intend to read/Wordcount goal- At least 2

Name of fic- Of Sand and Shadows
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/threads/of-sand-and-shadows.458/

Name of fic- Fledglings
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/threads/fledglings.333/unread

Name of fic- Drowning
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/threads/drowning.289/unread

# of Chapters you intend to read/Wordcount goal- At least the first 2, really interested in starting this one...

ErazonPo3

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
She/her
R10 - Kickoff

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Round 10 has begun!

As always, remember to comment on the author's fic. Also feel free to go on the discord and comment or let the author know what you enjoyed.

Because this is intended to be a relaxed and easy going thing, new people are still free to join.

Happy reading!

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
COMPLETE

Chapter responses, 21- special chapter part 2 (5 chapters in total...)

So as a fan of Delirious' work for the masses and thier holiday projects i decided to tackle as much of thier fic as i could... Lets see how it goes....

Chapter 21

The chapter open with some hardcore damage recoup and bad life choices from villian mastermind Enigma..

Still En' getting nearly offed by some seed in a healing item was a definite humor moment... And i can't stop headcanoning Rio (an atagonistic meowstic mad scientist type) to be mosying around his labs cackling " its alive!" ala Frankenstien...

laughing cat.png

I mean i know thats not what hes doing but i suspect he spent a ton of time off record doing it considering his... Creations... Are all about to start upending plots and regimines and world orders and all that and the main and moral cast members are starting to realize just how delicate the situation is and starting to band together from the magnitude of the threat....

Also in the background our main hero Mischief has attached himself to Doom Omen Mc Moodyson and the dynamic building there is alternating between amusing and alarming as Mischief will bully his way into a new companion via obliviousness, helplessness, candor, and cute factor all going hand in hand.

Chapter 22

We're starting small via the smallest cast wrangling through the tall grass...

I swear Spark is the size of a quarter and basic locomotion is exciting for it from her perspecitve... I wish the writer would have shown more struggles like that as they stayed with sparks p.o.v. but ah well...

We miss a bit of fun in pursuit of PLOT.

Most of the cast is together now after a few previous chapters of being seperated, reuintied, then broke doen again. Somehow the absol of doom extracted Mischief from his side

laughing cat.png
(i imagine a crowbar was used but we don't get to see that)...

And from the main group (aka cloes team) we get reunited, a basic sense of direction, and a missing poltergiest hunt being dropped.

Back at home base the political powerhouse, a riolu named Tinker , is getting much deserved push back for trying to hatch an "enemy mons" egg and weaponize the upcoming critter.. We got all the moral angles laid out and it'll be nice to see/meet the rest of the guild powers and learn who backs what, and how the homebase guild gets expanded on (beyond tinker) so we can see those viewpoints and frictions in action...

ready to cry cat.png

Wait... It just started hatching now. But we barely started exploring the possib- gah! Yeah, the egg hatch scene felt a bit rushed. I get it was a way to shovel things forward and "safely" close the Tinker scene but excuse me while i mourn the potential here...

Still i was hoping to see more conflict or even politicing from this colussal development... That really seems kinda downplayed... And i am rather sad for that loss.
thinking cat.png

And we hop back to Cloes group. Wandering and together but barely tolerating each other per policital problems, war, misunderstanding and harlequins capacity to hold one heck of a grudge and also not close his mouth. To put it mildly two thirds of the cast wants to strangle one member of the cast and its... Kinda justified. And the group wander through an area designed to chip away sanity and the last clifhanger is enough to make you wonder if they actually made it with all thier wits intact its so left field...

Chapter 23
Speaking of fields... Ok per title and opening they werent losing thier minds... nice to know.

This development is a bit of a shocker and a bit whiplashy.

download(1)(1)(1)(1).png

Like wandering through a dessert and finding an oasis party house to be honest...

And the party is being hosted by zues or something. We got culture shock... And a rainbow deer god just abducted the team's poisoner/dark type that's ominous... And not going to raise any hackles when harl' returns to the team.

The ties in with eden and the heavy real world allusions to a speecific faith kinda rose my eyebrows here. There'd been allusions and one scene that felt borrowed from certian mythologies but this paradise conflicting with and being detached (and timeless) from the world beyond it feels like a extreamely heavy handed nod...

A nod thats not my cup of tea...

meh cat.png

Personally, i find myself more interested in the world beyond this paradise being waved about... And narritivly i hope the cast don't linger here too long and this island doesnt become too big a plot point. But considering i've seen the name of the garden residents several times when my phone hops about on the chapters of this fic i am a little worrried this will be a protracted stay...

Special chapter dark light 1

And we get more day in the life of paradise/guarden mon... Its a startling contrast and shows if rainbow dear god werent around things would go south... Fast...

And we are in the past... Like prehistory level of past... I second the cast's "how old are you all?" Line.

thinking cat.png

Yeah considering the dark bird name dropped, his prideful personality, ect. We got a fellow primed to make quite the crator when he hits the ground. And he does. You can see several shoutouts to Narnia and the "Lion Witch and the Wardrobe" book as this chapter pans out, and the prehistory cast is marching to war...

Special chapter darknlight 2

And we got ourselves a conflict... The fighting feels a bit sweeping and the back and forth focus' on the forces overall rather than a gritty one on one sort of encounters. So much so tje battle feels a bit detached for it... Its not a bad thing as the style helps contain the battles and breezes through the sections but it kinda hurts the immersion/connection to the character who is narriating...

So overall the war was a bit of a mixed bag.

Still , theres some creative moments that stand out. Using a rhydon to cover enemy ariel forces from one of thier type weaknesses is one example. Xer's forces running around to work around that work around felt reasonably panicked and that fit the scenario pretty well.

The dues ex mechanica showdown between evil mon god and good mon god was aproproatly shiny though the mass turn coating in the middle of the battle was a bit of a "what? Why?" Per lack of build up...

Live k_s reaction when that happens:download(1)(1)(1)(1).png

But with the history established and a few nods to how that archaic scene is going to be painfully relevent to the present (i'm like 90% sure where the big bad of the story is now after reading this segment and thats only one detail I sussed out) i'm looking forward to seeing how things progess going forward.

Attachments

• thinking cat.png
    thinking cat.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Heya, a bit late this time, but sliding right in with my Rookidee feedback:

What I Read: Chapters 1 - 4
How I Felt:
:reshipensive:

It was a bit of a mixed bag for reading. Like the fundamental concept behind it was solid, and it had some nice art interleaved into its chapters but the actual presentation was kinda... unpolished, with a few minor continuity errors that I spotted between Chapters 3 and 4. I peeked ahead and the overall quality of Random_Games87's prose does noticeably improve the further you go along into the story, so if you have fun with the opening in spite of it being a bit rough around the edges, you'll likely be entertained for a long while.

Name of fic- Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Path of Valor
What I Read: Chapter 80
How I Felt:
:reshidizzy:

Not in a bad way, but boy were there some implications that went down in that chapter, and the ending note is basically the protagonists preparing to cause a large-scale public disturbance in order to try and forestall a bigger disaster. I'm honestly surprised at how well @Ambyssin manages to continue to throw curveballs at the readers almost 400k words into his story. Like if you like your stories breezy, and equal parts dramatic and absurdist, you could do a lot worse than diving into this one.

Name of fic- Will I Follow?
What I Read: Chapters 1
How I Felt:
:reshismirk:

I'm... honestly a little embarrassed that it took me this long to read this chapter, but such is life when you run out of time and energy during Review Blitz and are forced to triage targets. To its credit, it was well worth coming back for this one, since @slamdunkrai does a good job at introducing his main characters in this chapter and teeing up a world that is at once full of wonder and riven with serious systemic issues. Oh, also, Darkrai may or may not have entered the chat by the very end of the chapter, but I suppose that's a story for Chapter 2 to get to the bottom of things.

And that's a wrap for this Rookidee. See you all next time! ^^

Round 10 - End

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
I forgot to post here, but thats a Round 10 wrap! I hope everyone had fun!

Catching up on more Salvage after Blitz was great! Negrek does not disappoint and the story always takes some interesting and unexpected turns. Seeing the kanto league being more prominent was spicy. And all the interactions with Nates team with him and the child were great.
I'll be opening some signups for a new round soon...

Reactions: K_S

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Reading Rookidee - Round 11
Love is in the air!

1707695455592.png

I see everyone is eager to keep up momentum, so I figure I'll start another in time for Valentines day!

In honor of the 'holiday', have a bonus challenge!:

What relationship in the part of the story you read is your favorite, and why? Can be romantic, platonic, familial, etc!

The bonus challenge is NOT mandatory, just a fun bonus question to share your thoughts with the author! You are welcome to ignore it, or be as indepth or simple as you please, and if the author likes it, you can ping them on discord to share!

For details on what Reading Rookidee is, please see the first post.

As always, don't forget to leave a few sentences on the fics page telling the author why you liked their story after you're done reading. Posting here in the forum is recommended but not as important as letting the author know you're enjoying the story. Feel free to also head over to the discord to chat about what you read!

Remember, you can either set a wordcount or a chapter goal for yourself, whichever is more appealing!

Happy reading!

Time remaining to sign up

Round 11 End: TBA, likely Tuesday Feb 20th

Signup:​

Name of fic-
Link to fic-
# of Chapters you intend to read/Wordcount goal-

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Heya, popping back into this thing for a more PMD-themed slate since there's a reviewing event rolling in for the genre offsite on the 15th and figured it'd be handy for nailing down some priorities that I wanted to get to:

Link to fic- https://archiveofourown.org/works/41929218/chapters/105235464

Name of fic- The End: Rekindled
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/threads/the-end-rekindled-now-complete.362/

Name of fic- Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Quenched Torch
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/threads/pokémon-mystery-dungeon-quenched-torch.573/

Name of fic- PMD: Crux of the Self
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/threads/pmd-crux-of-the-self.1215/

Last edited:

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle