• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Reading Rookidee

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
hoping to get "a perfect world" tackled beyond my catnip obligations...

And reviewed... wasn't expecting a slice of self-inflicted armageddon but it was a fun romp into watching someone brutally shoot themself in their own foot and then try to dodge the consequences... review is now attached to the proper tale.

Last edited:

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
(shhh i'm not late to sign up don't check times its fine)

Reading Goals:

Name of fic: Salvage by @Negrek
Link to fic: https://forums.thousandroads.net/index.php?threads/salvage.187/ (though it's only up to ch 10 on that thread)
# of Chapters you intend to read: At least one chapter, starting from Chapter 46

A contest oneshot I haven't read yet... choosing randomly...: A Perfect World by @BestLizard
Link to fic:

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Heya, it's been -checks notes- a little over a week overdue, which is probably a sign that I bit a bit more off than I could chew from my last slate. But I suppose it's about time to submit one of these, huh?

First Readthroughs:

Name of fic-
Kills-Other-Humans
What I Read: Chapter 1
How I Felt:
:copyka2:

It was a bit of a disquieting read at times, but @canisaries definitely did a very thorough job of getting into the mind of the viewpoint character. It definitely requires a certain vibe preference to get the most out of the story enjoyment-wise, but it's well-written and does a pretty effective job at serving as a hook to get you interested in things.

Name of fic- Finding Mahoun
What I Read: The entire one-shot
How I Felt:
:lugiyay:

I really, really liked this story, even if I thought it'd have worked better as a multiparter than a one-shot. There's a couple rough edges involving parts that could've been described or "shown" a bit more, but I can definitely see how @Cresselia92 won a writing contest with this story. And it's a must-read for anyone looking for Xenofiction fare in this fandom, since it pulls it off very well while still keeping the characters relatable to the audience.

Name of fic- PMD: Below
What I Read: Chapter 6
How I Felt:
:AlviseShocked:

Not in a bad way, mind you. But this chapter definitely caught me off-guard, since it's been a while since I've come across stories that were this unflinching about the logical conclusions of the worlds they show off. There were some quibbles I had about wanting to see more of the characters' thought process / their actions described, but it definitely kept me gripped while reading. If you're looking for a more unconventional PMD story and have got a stomach for things getting really dark really fast, @BestLizard has got quite a story for you to sink your teeth into.

Name of fic- Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Path of Valor
What I Read: Chapter 45
How I Felt:
:ohnowen:

Again, not so much a problem with the narrative, per se. But I'll admit that seeing Shimmer's life go up in smoke in the span of a scene made me wince a bit. Which is kinda an accomplishment since it's Shimmer. Not fully sure how I feel about some decisions made about Chiaki as a character that go down in this chapter, but eh. I understand the thematic argument for it, so I'll give it some time before I pass judgement.

There's since been another chapter uploaded since I read this one, which for those of you looking for a more off-the-wall PMD story, @Ambyssin delivers in spades with a story that doesn't quite have anything else like it in the PMD fandom at the moment.

Name of fic- Generic Trainer Fan Fic
What I Read: Chapters 1 + 2
How I Felt:
:lugiafine:

Admittedly, I kinda went into this one with the goal of trying to bring back Serebii's on-site Review Tag back from the dead, but the story was decently cute, if needing a bit of polish. kindoflame mentioned planning on trying to do a reboot of the story, which is probably worth keeping an eye on, since even with its warts, the story had some decently standout characters in it, along with some neat Pokéball worldbuilding.

Name of fic- Places We Call Home
What I Read: Bonus 2 + Bonus 3
How I Felt:
:copyka:

D'aww, what cute little shorts... shame about, er... everything that happens after them canonically. Bonus 2 was a nice glimpse into the life of Haru's departed grandpa, and what Theran Village looks like in more festive occasions, while Bonus 3 was a glimpse at Nip's life before he got shacked up with Umbra the Nippening happened in his home tribe. It's a bit of a weird feeling to read moments this wholesome, while knowing full well that in the end things don't have a happy ending, but they were both enjoyable reads and @windskull managed to cram in a lot of detail into a little over 3000 words.

And hey, you can't say that they're not effective at getting you interested in seeing what comes next. They were a pretty effective advertisement for getting back into main story, especially since I'm pretty sure things are about to escalate quickly in the two chapters separating me from getting caught up.

Name of fic- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Guardians of Balance
What I Read: Prologue + Chapters 1 + 2
How I Felt:
:AlviseHappy:

I liked it. It's definitely riding heavily on the Prologue to draw your interest since some aspects of Chapters 1 and 2 are a bit by the numbers, but the length's approachable, and there's a lot of promise for a wild ride of political intrigue and war. Which I'm pretty sure is a sign that the intro isn't going to stay happy and by the numbers for very long. I've actually got a review exchange for this story with @StolenMadWolf , and from what I could see from an initial impression, it's definitely got me looking forward to what comes next.

Second Readthroughs:

Name of fic-
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rebirth
What I Read: Chapter 29
How I Felt:
:AlviseStarry:

Okay, I'm just a little biased since there's a 10/10 cameo in this chapter, but even beyond that this has always been one of my favorite chapters since it gets to show off Flame developing as a character and starting to be more aggressive about taking initiative, as well as having a really touching moment where he and a closer teammate of his bear their hearts to each other.

Like just about every chapter I've read in my second pass in Rebirth, there's definitely moments here and there that I either didn't pick up on at first or else hit differently after knowing where the story winds up going between this chapter and the ones that remain outstanding. But I kinda suspect that's just a deliberate feature of @Shadow of Antioch 's writing.

Once again, strongly recommended if you're into PMD and can handle a dash of grit in your stories. I'm honestly really looking forward to the day when chapters start dropping here as concurrent releases with the other versions offsite.

Whew, and that does it. Or at least until the next one of these kicks up. ^^

Last edited:

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Hey everyone, it's a bit of a spooky reading season, so sounds like a good reason to whip up something for the occasion, huh?

Reading Rookidee - Round 7

FBMb7biXMAEZ0wC.jpeg

So as you may already know but Halloween's around the corner, along with a fresh round of Catnip Circle to boot. As a bit of a festive season, it seemed as good a time as any to give an opportunity to provide an outlet to pair your randomly rolled reading material with one's catchup priorities. Or just your catchup priorities if Catnip's not your jam at this time of year. Either way, sometimes all you need to light a fire under yourself and stop procrastinating is a bit of motivation. Can't go wrong with a dash of public humiliation on that front.

Whether you’re in for something spooky or something sweet, jot those reading goals down and share them with the world. If you’re taking part in the new Catnip round, this is also a handy way to give yourself that extra push to stay focused, along with for anything else you’d like to read afterwards after you've reeled in your Halloween candies.

For details on what Catnip Circle is, please see the first post. Otherwise, signups close on Halloween 10:30PM EST, two and a half hours after the current Catnip assignments are rolled. A bit tighter than normal this time, but such is life when doing a Halloween event. Fortunately for you, the normal 1-day delay to submit is still around, which means you'll have a full 11 days to tackle those reading lists of yours. If you’ll be doing your Catnip assignment as part of Reading Rookidee, please make sure to take a gander at the current game’s rules to make sure the reviews you write are compliant with it.

As always, don't forget to leave a few sentences telling the author why you liked their story after you're done reading.

Time Remaining to Signup

Time until end: X

And jotting my own assignments down, which will be updated with additional entries after Catnip assignments are rolled in about 48 hours.

First Readthroughs:

Name of fic-
Hoenn Short Stories Collection: The Elite
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/index.php?threads/hoenn-short-stories-collection-the-elite.647
# of Chapters you intend to read - At least 3

Name of fic- Legends Legacy: A Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Adventure
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/in...gacy-a-pokemon-mystery-dungeon-adventure.563/
# of Chapters you intend to read - At least 1

Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/in...on-mystery-dungeon-guardians-of-balance.1092/

Name of fic- The Queen of Kalos
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/index.php?threads/the-queen-of-kalos.1274/

Name of fic- PMD: Flowerbeds
Link to fic- https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13792677/1/PMD-Flowerbeds

Name of fic- Edgeworth
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/index.php?threads/edgeworth.1288/
# of Chapters you intend to read - The entire one-shot

Name of fic- Divided I Fall
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/index.php?threads/divided-i-fall-oneshot.833/
# of Chapters you intend to read - The entire one-shot

Name of fic- Journey
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/index.php?threads/journey.1050/

Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/index.php?threads/pokémon-mystery-dungeon-path-of-valor.370/

Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/index.php?threads/pmd-below.1119/

Second Readthroughs:

Name of fic-
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/index.php?threads/pokémon-mystery-dungeon-rebirth.402/

Last edited:

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr

BestLizard

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
He/Him
Heeeey I wasn't able to sign-up but I'm participating anyways. Plus, I want to do more reading, I've been incredibly behind on it :)

Name of fic - Once a Thief
Link to Fic - https://forums.thousandroads.net/index.php?threads/once-a-thief.854/
# of chapters I intend to read - 2. (Gonna get reviews from you, Fobbie, reserved up to chapter 10 (^; )

Name of fic - Stray
Link to Fic - https://www.fanfiction.net/s/14002499/1/Stray
# of chapters I intend to read - 4. (I'm counting two I've already read two days ago)

Name of fic - PMD: Flowerbeds
Link to Fic - https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13792677/1/PMD-Flowerbeds
# of chapter I intend to read - 2

BestLizard

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
He/Him
I'm probably going to have to reduce my reading rookiedee obligations. I have pretty much two weeks to learn a skill and if I don't get the job with it, I'll have to be a two-part-time-jobs millennial (Which I think I can tough out!).

I'll only do one chapter of Once a Thief, two chapters of Flowerbeds, and the two chapters of Stray I've already read.

So much for November being my reading month.

Last edited:
Reactions: K_S

BestLizard

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
He/Him
Hey, doing my Reading Rookiedee... "Round up?" I ended up pacing and scheduling my time, so I was actually able to fit in some reading between that grind for my life. Good news is, I'm learning the skill so well that I'm assured I'll get the job (although I'm emotionally ready if I don't get it). I even managed to pick up 3 chapters of To The Break of Dawn as part of a review tag elsewhere.

Name of fic - Once a Thief
What I read - Chapter 3
Thoughts - It's a really long chapter but I'm super appreciative that the plot didn't wait around. I'm really interested to see what comes next.

Name of fic - Stray
What I read - Chapters 1, 2
Thoughts - This was a guilty pleasure pick. The author advertises it as a dark fic in his Discord banner and even though he himself knows the early chapters could use a bit of a makeover, it has visions of doom, a cold uncaring protagonist who is too cool to care about being the outsider, lots of blood, monstrous monsters, let's good.

Name of fic - Flowerbeds
What I read - Chapters 10, 11
Thoughts - I enjoyed the chapters a lot but I couldn't put a finger on it. The ocean dungeon was cool. That being said, I wish this romance story had a bit more romance.

Name of fic - To the Break of Dawn
What I read - Chapters 1-3
Thoughts - Cool characters and interesting description when it's right but it gets too distracted by uninteresting stuff. One of those stories you really wish you can enjoy more ;x

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
afb.gif

Well, okay, more like "a week and a half since I was supposed to post this", but better late than never, so let's get right into it:

First Readthroughs:

Name of fic-
Hoenn Short Stories Collection: The Elite
What I Read: Prompts #40-#42
How I Felt:
:loltias:

The mix of prompts that I drew were a mix of humorous ones, including an old "colored object in white laundry" gag, a surprisingly touching one involving Drake reflecting on how he handed the torch to Steven as the former Hoenn Champion, and a cringe comedy one-shot involving Sidney getting way in over his head with Alolan cuisine. @Panoramic_Vacuum 's ability to breathe life and personality into characters that were... uh, underexplored in canon to say the least never ceases to impress me, and on such a small word budget to boot.

If you're looking for a good low-stress, low-commitment story with a good dash of Hoenn in it, you could do worse than this story. It's a great companion piece for nights when you're marathoning chunkier to give a little dash of bite-sized variety alongside it.

Name of fic- Legends Legacy: A Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Adventure
What I Read: Chapter 4
How I Felt:
:silvlully:

Ah yes, Legends Legacy, it's been far too long since I've read you. One thing that I have to admire about this series thus far is its ability to balance more serious hints at things to come and touching character moments with a boatload of humor, which this chapter wasn't a slouch on. It's not every day that a chapter of a story implying that the world is on the eve of an apocalypse gets you to snerk through large chunks of it, but @BlackHairedPsycho pulled that off pretty well here.

Can't speak for where things will go from here since I'm still early on in the story, but it's worth keeping an eye on if you want a PMD story that's a bit bite-sized with a good dash of humor to it.

What I Read: Chapter 5
How I Felt:
:CabotThink:

It's a bit of a transitional chapter, which isn't the end of the world since the last 2 chapters in particular were... um... an experience for the main character, and it hints at some stuff about the broader state of the world and things to come in the future. I mean, sure I'm partly convinced that @StolenMadWolf is going to burn down the starting village in like 5 chapters at this rate, but hey. MCs are entitled to their breaks sometimes, and the chapter was an effective release valve to a giant wad of tension that had been around just beforehand. Even if I would've liked to see more of the world described and hinted at a bit more.

Name of fic- The Queen of Kalos
What I Read: Chapter 2
How I Felt:
:CabotNeutral:

It's a bit rough around the edges, but it's a cute piece showing Serena finally getting a breather on a thus-far ill-fated journey to try and gain stardom as a Pokémon Performer, with the promise of looping in Gloria as a recurring character tooling around Kalos. Not sure what @CinderArts ' strategy will be for sanding down some of said rough edges, but it's worth keeping an eye on, since the narrative has promise, especially if you're a fan of PokeAni.

Name of fic- PMD: Flowerbeds
What I Read: Chapter 12
How I Felt:
:sadwott~2:

The entire chapter was basically an exercise in taking the hinted skeletons of Kebia Castle out into the open and brutally running over the human-turned-Dewott MC repeatedly and making him feel small, powerless, and alone. It... uh, was pretty effective at doing that and it was honestly a bit hard to read at times. Granted, the meta purpose of that was to get him closer to his partner, but still.

TheSnapDragon and his story unfortunately aren't here on TR yet, but even if there's a few things that I feel could stand to be buffed out, his story's worth keeping an eye on. It's definitely got an eye for character dynamics, which is arguably the story's strong suit along with gradual reveals of things not being all as they seem and hinting at something much deeper and more sinister going on in his setting's neck of the woods.

Name of fic- Edgeworth
What I Read: The whole one-shot
How I Felt:
:riohnolu:

Moral of the story, don't piss off the eldritch Genius Loci. They hold long grudges and will go out of their way to get back at you. This was an experimental piece by @zion of arcadia that was put up on Halloween that tries to get into the mind of a Mystery Dungeon that's a living being and how it parses the changes of the world around it, as well as the effects of when those changes cut at its emotions and set it off. It's... not a pretty sight to say the least.

Recommended if you want a short but unsettling read for a spookier night. My one regret is not reading it on Halloween, since it'd have worked amazingly for it.

Name of fic- Divided I Fall
What I Read: The whole one-shot
How I Felt:
:CryingCabot:

I mean, the story could've rightfully competed with Foregone Conclusion for the title given what it deals with and... yeah, if you know your Gen 5 fluff, you know exactly where the story is going to go by the end. I have some structural quibbles with a few parts of the story and there were bits of it that made me wonder if it would've worked better as a multipart short story, but honestly, it's still an effective tragedy and worth a read.

Now @Umbramatic just needs to be badgered into writing a follow-up, since bruh, you can't just leave Kyurem like that after everything that just happened.
:CabotTeary:

Name of fic- Journey: Death of Duty
How I Felt:
:riowolu:

I distinctly remember that @Joshthewriter kept raving about the battle choreography in Journey and heard second-hand from others who were impressed with it. And, honestly, the first chapter at least lived up decently well to the hype given that it managed to turn a battle of a style that is normally extremely boring to see play out in the games into something that felt riveting and exciting to watch unfold. The way that it's able to make a darker and grittier take off of Pokéworld feel like a living place doesn't hurt either.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one, not least of all since it might give me a few ideas to play around with in my own battle choreography since I can already tell there is a lot of gold in this story.

What I Read: Chapter 47
How I Felt:
:CabotShocked:

Yeah, yeah, this is a running trend with this story, but I legit wasn't expecting Yiazmat to wind up getting roped into the core plot like that. I've fallen a bit behind on this story since my Reading Rookidee assignment, which is probably as good a sign as any that I need to catch up in the imminent future since... yeah, @Ambyssin 's got some gold for a story there and the place where I left off was kinda a killer for suspense.

What I Read: Chapter 7-9
How I Felt:
:ShockedCabot:

The entire arc of three chapters can more or less can be summed up as "I didn't see that coming" up until literally the very last scene, but that's very much to its credit. I had some nitpicks with the story about being a bit light on description, but honestly, even in spite of it, it's a fun read and it's a really unique vibe for PMD stories that I have only seen broached before once in almost a decade. Keep your eyes on this one, since @BestLizard 's got a yarn with a lot of promise to it.

Second Readthroughs:

Name of fic-
What I Read: Chapter 31
How I Felt:
:CabotScared:

Yeah, one of the benefits of reading a story twice is that you get to have a fuller understanding of all the little implications of different things that get brought up in it, and... uh... there are some implications with the events that went down in this chapter. Honestly really looking forward to whenever @Shadow of Antioch bumps this story again, since things have been building up to a point where I expect things to get really lit really fast in spite of the cast thinking that they've finally found a safe harbor from their troubles in-setting.

And that's a wrap. Til the next Rookidee, anyways. See you all then! ^^

Last edited:

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
Blitz Rookidee!

This is a Rookidee to get us excited for Blitz!

Read the first post in the thread for the rules!

Remember: You don't need to write a full review if you don't feel up to it! All you need to do is write 2-5 sentences about what you thought about what you read.

Signups last until Review Blitz week 1 starts, and the deadline is when Review Blitz week 1 ends.

Have fun!​

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
Name of fic: Bringing it Home! (TR Christmas Mashup 2022)
Link to fic: Here
# of chapters: The whole thing

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
I'll be filling this out more as more weekly theme details drop in the coming days, but might as well get my foot in the door:

First Readthroughs:

Name of fic- The End: Rekindled
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/index.php?threads/the-end-rekindled-part-5-is-here.362/

Name of fic- Tail of Time
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/index.php?threads/tail-of-time.686/#post-30187

Name of fic- Shadows Cast By Time
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/index.php?threads/shadows-cast-by-time-–-tr-versary-bingo.705/

Name of fic- Obsession
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/index.php?threads/obsession.661/

Second Readthroughs:

Name of fic- I'm a Marionette
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/index.php?threads/im-a-marionette.939/

Name of fic- Salvage
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/index.php?threads/salvage.187/

Last edited:

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
Welp lets see... So starting on the 25th i hope to read/review...

Part for Persian's invovment part because i love Del's holiday stuff...

And DONE! loved it, a fun romp from start to finish, feel free to read the tale and my review if you're interested. My affection for Del's writing style and rumps grows with every entry I swear...

I've formatted and started the mass review as promised. got the prologue more or less done and I'll pop in the other chapters and formally submit it to the contest when I get it done.

something new and unexpected...

I did it. 10 chapters! The fics got my war and peace efforts on it and a shiny new advertisement in the rec depo. (Flops over exhausted on other side.)

Last edited:

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
Congratulations!

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Heya, about 10 hours late for one of these, but figured I should square my Rookidee blurbs away before getting too lost in the hubbub of Week 2 of Review Blitz:

First Readthroughs:

Name of fic-
The End: Rekindled
How I Felt:
:quilparty:

Yeah, I had a good time with this one, which is a really respectable bump up from @DeliriousAbsol 's original The End in quality. It's essentially the story of a protagonist party in a war with a Hydreigon warlord seeking to remold the world into his image, one where Dark and Dragon-types reign supreme. It's less grim than it sounds, and balances dark elements and gray and gray moral scenarios along with fun character dynamics and a dash of humor to give something that vibes kinda like a darker YA fantasy series overall. Honestly regret not trying it out sooner as a story.

Name of fic- Tail of Time
How I Felt:
:VidriBlink:

The core behind the chapter is decently solid, but there's some parts of it that could afford to be a bit more polished. Especially the opening to the chapter. It's a bit rough around the edges, but I'd still recommend giving @AbraPunk 's story a chance if you'd like to try out something new for Review Blitz. Since hey, if nothing else, a bit of constructive criticism might help its strengths come out more after a bit of revisioning and tightening up.

Name of fic- Shadows Cast By Time
What I Read: Sealed Away, Alone in the Dark, Gods of the Brass Tower, and 2022 Anniversary Bingo Fills
How I Felt:
:quilavaheart:

Okay, so I didn't get to the Golett one-shot that everyone considers the strongest in the anthology, but I did get everything else, which I still found really impressive. There's a lot of attention to detail for the various settings that the stories are set in, and shows off that @kyeugh did some historical homework when cooking up the various scenarios. Highly recommended, and I'll have to go back for that last one-shot that I haven't read from it sometime later, if not during Review Blitz, then sometime this year.

Name of fic- Obsession
What I Read: Chapters 1 - 7
How I Felt:
:quilhappy:

It's basically a backstory fic to the M02 antagonist, and while it's got some rough edges and early installment weirdness, it does a good job at getting you into the mind of said antagonist and understanding a set of circumstances that could've eventually set him along the path in life he ultimately goes down. Meta-wise, it's also a really impressive labor of love since @Blackjack Gabbiani has kept the story alive and updating to this day after 20 years of continuous development, when most long-runners sputter and die before their first decade if they're not finished by then.

And hey, the opening stretch of chapters is nice and digestible. If you've never tried Obsession out, why not give it a shot?

Second Readthroughs:

Name of fic-
I'm a Marionette
What I Read: Chapters 1 + 2
How I Felt:
:quilaeep:

Not in a "this story is bad" way, more of a "watching a trainwreck unfold with the characters in live-time" way. Since... Wallace is not okay in I'm a Marionette, and after reading the story once, you notice a few things about the process of his spiral as a character before he hits rock bottom later on in the story. Now @Torchic W. Pip 's got a particularly layered take on Pokémon mainline with some internal mythology that isn't common to other takes and there are some things about it that I think could be done with a bit more polish, but honestly, the way that the story sells the sense of feeling helpless, having one's life spiral out of control, and the things one will do to latch onto self-destructive things that give a sense of control make it worth a try as a story. If it winds up clicking for you, you'll find yourself in deep in the story before you know it.

Name of fic- Salvage
How I Felt:
:FennShocked:

It's very well-written as a story, and most impressively in second-person perspective, though that said, Salvage at time makes you wince as a reader since it does not pull punches, especially in its first chapter. Admittedly, I'm coming back to this story after a long pause from the pre-revision version from Serebii, but even with a fresh coat of paint, @Negrek 's story still has that mix of “creepy, cute, and black-comedy” that made it stand out back in the day.

Highly recommended if you have an appetite for darker stories, since hey, might as well encourage the author to bring some more chapters over here, huh? :V

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Hey everyone, figured I'd get this rolling with some time to spare for you to note your Week 2 priorities:

Reading Rookidee - Round 9 - Blitz Catchup Week Edition

Screen_Shot_2024-01-05_at_1.02.51_AM.png

Hey everybody, as you may know, but Week 2 of this year's Review Blitz is just around the corner, and as a week that's all about catching up with fics that you all started on, it felt like as good a time to blow the dust off for a fresh round of Reading Rookidee. After all, sometimes all you need to get yourself cracking on an unfinished story is a bit of motivation. A dash of public embarrassment doesn't hurt, and neither does the catchup bonus this week either. Whether you’re in for breezy or bloodcurdling, jot those reading goals down and share them with the world, and rack up a few reviewing points along the way.

For details on what Catnip Circle is, please see the first post. Otherwise, signups close on January 7th midnight EST, a little over a day after Week 2 of Review Blitz starts and will remain open for the rest of Week 2 of Review Blitz. For those of you explicitly using this event to gun for the reviewing challenge, make sure to take a gander at those rules too to make sure the reviews you write are challenge compliant.

As always, don't forget to leave a few sentences telling the author why you liked their story after you're done reading.

Time Remaining to Signup

Time until end: X

And jotting my own assignments down, which are subject to potential future revision before the round starts:

Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/index.php?threads/pokémon-mystery-dungeon-path-of-valor.370/

Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/threads/places-we-call-home.104/

Name of fic- Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Dual Wills
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/threads/pokémon-mystery-dungeon-dual-wills.1281/

Name of fic- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Soaring Over Heaven
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/threads/pokemon-mystery-dungeon-soaring-over-heaven.1576/

Name of fic- What the Gods Gave Me
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/threads/what-the-gods-gave-me.1486/

Name of fic- The Legendarian Chronicles
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/threads/the-legendarian-chronicles.48/

Last edited:
Reactions: K_S

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Whelp, it's a bit before the end of the week, but even if I was a bit alone this time, I figured that I'd get my two cents in for my reading for Rookidee:

What I Read- Chapters 77-78
How I Felt -
:lyleshock:

Yeah, yeah, a lot changed, which I suppose is a bit of a constant of Path of Valor, but boy did they change. In between a crucial mission going sideways and tantalizing hints that multiple characters are connected to the past in a way that up to this point seemed to be the exclusive preserve of Yuna... yeah, there's a lot of shoes waiting to drop from this story that just got thrown into the air over these past couple chapters. I haven't fully gotten a read of how quickly that'd happen, but hey, if there's nothing else that I've learned about Path of Valor, it's that even if you see things coming from a mile away @Ambyssin is able to make the journey a wild ride. I expect nothing less here, to.

What I Read- Chapters 23-24
How I Felt -
:lylescared:

Er, yeah, things went 0-100 really, really quickly in the span of those two chapters, with Chapter 24 ending with two of the main characters winding up in a really precarious state of affairs. Like there's been a general sense of unease building in the story for the past several chapters before this of something terrible being about to befall Theran Village, and... well, it seems like we won't have to keep waiting for much longer to see @windskull blow those fireworks up.

Name of fic- Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Dual Wills
What I Read- Chapters 8-9
How I Felt -
:lylehappy:

Okay, yeah, there was a decently-sized list of issues that I left critiques about while reading these chapters, including a few bigger structural ones in Chapter 9, and at the same time... I can't say that it wasn't a charming read or that I didn't have fun with it. These two chapters build off of what essentially amounted to the starter villain getting wind of one of the main characters' backgrounds and seeking to knock them off over it. These two chapters represent the climax to that arc, which for all the criticisms I had of it, genuinely felt like a decent note to tie things up with, along with some genuinely exciting and touching moments thrown into the mix. It'll be interesting to see where @Arukona took his story here, since while one leg of the story ended, another has clearly kicked up, with unresolved issues lingering in the background for the main characters that may or may not end poorly for everyone involved.

Name of fic- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Soaring Over Heaven
What I Read- Chapter 2
How I Felt -
:lylestarry:

Yeah, this fic starts strong, what can I say? I mean, I still had a few bones to pick, and I initially did a double-take at just how strong the crew of the Serene Grace was relative to the pirates that attempted to raid them, but the cast is charming enough and the process of stuff blowing up is exciting enough that all those issues just kinda fade to the background. Oh, and Drake, he's definitely one stylish cat when he makes his big entrance into the story as a dashing rogue extraordinaire, the art that @Z102eternal threw in along with the story certainly didn't hurt with the presentation either.

I mean, I'm sure that some of it is personal bias thanks to happening to write multiple fics that share bits and pieces of this one's meta, but I liked it, and it's got me excited to see where things will go in the story from here.

Name of fic- What the Gods Gave Me
What I Read- Chapter 2
How I Felt -
:lylelaugh:

There's something endearing about seeing a character like Aeimlou who's equal parts deeply confused and out of the loop about his present circumstances while having flashes of being a funny troll, which I suppose is fitting for someone who was once upon a recent time a raven. Xenofiction stories in the Pokémon fanfic space are pretty rare birds, but @tomatorade pulls off the effect really convincingly while still keeping Aeimlou a sympathetic figure that you want to root for as he bumbles into the unknown in a world that's just as confused about him as he is.

It's a bit soon for me to judge this story based off what I've ready, but this chapter and the introductory one before it were really promising. There was a reason this was one of my honorable mentions from my Week 1 recommendation, and thus far, it's been holding up quite well.

Name of fic- The Legendarian Chronicles
What I Read- Chapter 5 + 5-Extra
How I Felt -
:lylethinking:

Not that it was bad mind you, but it definitely got me noticing details that I'd overlooked the first time I read these chapters. Granted, 5 was a completely different version where my memory of the original is a bit hazy, so it was effectively new to me. These chapters basically mark the point where Jade crosses the Rubicon in her story, and goes from being a teenager with dreams of training that's perpetually thwarted by her inability to pass her trainer's exam, to going toe-to-toe with Team Rocket as part of a broader organization. Like sure, her decision-making is obviously not fully rational, but what restless teenager seeking to be something bigger than themselves is fully rational?

Oh, and it's got chapter illustrations lovingly drawn by @Chibi Pika , which is a great showcase of their abilities dealing with both written and visual mediums. It's a bit of a magnet for attention here on this site, but honestly, it's pretty deserved from what I've read thus far.

Reading Rookidee - Round 10 (Open)

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Reading Rookidee - Round 10

61c6ea6e6ccef23b8f564743cb45876ffc280a04.png

Let's keep up all that reading momentum of blitz and catchup on some fics started for Blitz (or start something you didn't get a chance to read yet)!

For details on what Reading Rookidee is, please see the first post.

As always, don't forget to leave a few sentences on the fics page telling the author why you liked their story after you're done reading.

For this one, I'll be letting it run longer than usual, for about 1 week.

Also, a slight adjustment has been made to the first page to reflect that you can either set a wordcount or a chapter goal for yourself, whichever is more appealing!

Happy reading!

Time remaining to sign up

Round 10 End (TBA, likely Saturday the 10th of Feb)

Signup:​

Name of fic-
Link to fic-
# of Chapters you intend to read/Wordcount goal-

Top Bottom