• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Reading Rookidee

Mirage

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
He/him
Partners
  1. minccino
All done with my Reading Rookidee! I wrote three stream of consciousness style reviews, which I left on PoV's thread.

For the special theme: it's kind of hard to answer this question since I'm still very early in the story, but my favorite relationship so far is between the two thieves, Carpaccio the Nickit and Rookie the Greedant. They have a bumbling relationship, not unlike Team Rocket's honestly, but they're hilarious and I hope to see more of them.

Overall thoughts: honestly, I really enjoyed it! Excellent characters that all feel distinct from each other, interesting plot with a lot of twists, some great humor, and the writing is very straightforward and easy to read. I'm glad I picked it for Reading Rookidee, and that I was able to kind of, somewhat make up for my lackluster Blitz progress.

Last edited:

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Name of fic- Drowning
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/threads/drowning.289/
# of Chapters you intend to read/Wordcount goal- I'd like to read maybe 5!
I don't think I'll quite reach my goal! But I read a couple chapters!
I am very upset (in a good way mostly?) about Drowning!! I am having very many feelings >:( Darn you @Starlight Aurate

On of my favorite things was (big spoilers)
Maressa and Gloom's very sweet friendship in the early chapters after they met, especially her singing to them and their slowly growing bond. Seeing her release Gloom was devastating but I kept hoping for a reunion.
NOT the one I got!! I hope Matt dies. I can't believe this. Its so not right, but then it makes sense...Actions have consequences and Maressa's are catching up to her.
I also really loved Golduck and Maressa's bond! The two sometimes don't see eye to eye when Maressa is being a colorblind dummy, but he's loyal and protective, and I love seeing them struggle to get through this situation together.

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Heya, I'm actually on-time for Rookidee for once, and I figured that now was as good a time as any to post my roundup for the people that don't want to sift through four separate reviews:

Name of fic- PMD: Connected by a Web
What I Read: Chapters 5 - 6
How I Felt:
:Raythink:

Yeah, same basic spiel as the first four chapters. There's some flashes of neat stuff and the premise is decent, but there's a lot of rough edges along the way. Though I suppose that might be being a bit harsh there, since the author invested enough effort and love into adding more chapter art and there's some genuinely neat touches and worldbuilding to be found in there like a Koraidon school bus driver, just definitely a bit unpolished in presentation.

Though hey, I still stand by those comments regarding those later chapters, so if you feel like giving Random_Games87's story a shot and already find yourself taken by the first few chapters, you'll likely find it quite rewarding to stick with it.

Name of fic- The End: Rekindled
What I Read: Chapter 3
How I Felt:
:Rayshock:

I mean, I had a rough idea of what coming since I'd read the v1 of this chapter's events years ago, but boy does it hit a lot harder in the rewrite. There were a few things that I thought were left on the table, but just what's there is already pretty decent and the chapter does a good job at staying tense and gripping the whole way through. Which is probably a good sign for what the rest of @DeliriousAbsol 's rewrite of her baby has in store in later chapters.

Name of fic- Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Quenched Torch
What I Read: Chapter 2
How I Felt:
:Raystarry:

I mean, there were some parts of this chapter that I felt were a little too compressed, but yeah, this was the chapter where the story's premise and glimpse of what its world is like really gets to shine. Which I suppose is a bit weird considering that things ended... uh... poorly for the main protagonist at the end of this chapter, but I can definitely see why some people are particularly taken by this story.

Quenched Torch is a bit of an unsung story here on Thousand Roads even if it has a decent amount of popularity on other platforms, but if you want to give a PMD story with a really uncommon gimmick exploring life through when trapped behind the eyes and body of a feral, @Sudmensch 's story from what I've read so far is worth trying out and it might motivate the author to start bumping his story again.

Name of fic- PMD: Crux of the Self
What I Read: Chapter 2
How I Felt:
:Rayhappy:

Same deal as Quenched Torch, really. It's a nice, easy-to-approach PMD story with a neat gimmick that wastes no time at all in just making things happen... even if I felt that there were a couple points where the chapter missed some opportunities to explore the characters further. But everything else was pretty great! The characterization and worldbuilding are on-point, and it's honestly a little surprising that it's flown this under-the-radar on Thousand Roads thus far with how big exploring gender dysphoria is in the story.

I've also heard good things about this one offsite and it has a bit of a following in other some other platforms, but from what I've seen thus far, the hype behind @Truebrush is pretty deserved. Also, getting in the obligatory 'good story, please update'.

And that's a Rookidee from my end. Happy reading, and until next time! ^^

Blackjack Gabbiani

Merely a collector
Pronouns
Them
Partners
  1. shaymin
  2. dusknoir
Read Timeslip, chapters 8 through 12, and god, why did I wait so long to read this?

(well I'll tell you why I waited so long to read it it's because the ending of that game made me so sad that getting emotionally invested in these characters in an AU was something I wanted to wait until every scrap of it was released for)

Very very good and I want to read more. I don't know if I'll do the commentary reviews for every part from now, but I know I want to keep reading!

Nekodatta

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. koraidon-apex
  2. miraidon-ultimate
It took me a bit to get to the review of this RR, but I did end up reading quite a bit more of OSAS as programmed ... Pretty much everything lol

Really really liked how the story incorporates the various gameplay elements of Colosseum like Shadow Pokémon gradually unlocking their normal moves the more they get purified into the story, and how it fleshes out the setting (which I admittedly don't know much about...)
The story flows quite seamlessly, I often find myself wondering if something that gets mentioned is actually part of the story of the original game or an expansion of it, which is cool because it means that everything sounds... Natural?

As for the bonus question, I actually want to mention two relationships:

- The first is of course the one between the two main characters. It's been very cute seeing Wes gradually open up to Rui, showing surprise at the thought that she actually considers them friends and growing comfortable around her revealing more things about himself (like his favourite color, aw), while she slowly learns more about him but also shows him that she isn't the sunny bubbly always cheerful girl she tries to always show.

- Another relationship I wanted to mention is that between Wes and the shadow Pokemon on his team, I really liked how it showed him treating them with kindness even if they lash out at him/others, and that treatment being the focal point of them slowly getting purified.
Espeon and Umbreon are pretty much Wes's trademark Pokémon that have known him since long at the beginning of the story and even if he acts like he only cares about himself, Neo and Novo, it's cool seeing him interact with "new" Pokémon.

I'm really curious to see how they will handle the whole purification process.

Top Bottom