• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Reading Rookidee

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s....

Reading Rookidee!?

8vd76mr5_BYKCBpLM8HN3_GKhOQ7wkMe3EcWpj6wyDIp8-K7Tz4zUOj400XhGE1a5CGi6LhjtsYm34qHGtDbihhqO10_ioubUhnx8jNmocdg3b8obk4bNeMqXMvEMX7v7jmg_qJ9

What is Reading Rookidee?​

Reading Rookidee (RR) is a structure based, short-term forum game to catch up on that list of fanfics tucked away in a folder that you keep meaning to get to, but somehow never do. How does it work? The idea is simple.

-A round of RR is announced (usually on Discord), via the pingable role. It will also be posted here on the forums.
-An entry deadline (usually 24-48 hours) is established
-Before the entry deadline, everyone signs up with a fic they intend to read, and how many chapters they want to go for or a wordcount goal.
-A soft time limit to finish reading is established, usually around 48-72 hours, but can be longer.
-After the time limit is up, you reply in the Reading Rookidee thread in discord, and write a few quick sentences (or more) about the story you just read and what you liked about it. (Gushing is welcome).

Simple!

However, if you fail to read the fic in the allotted time, your account will immediately be terminated by staff-

Oh... Hm. I have just been informed I’m not allowed to do that. *ahem* Well then...

In that case, there is no penalty. But you sure might make yourself sad! And you’ll have to catch up again before you participate!

First person to finish reading in a round gets bragging rights though ;)

FAQ:

Can I read something I haven’t started yet?
Of course! The end goal of RR is to catchup on anything you have read or been meaning to read. So anything is fair game!

Do I need to have written a fic to participate? Nope! This is only for reading.

Can I read a fic not on TR? Sure! It’s recommended to catch up on some TR fics so you can give the authors there some love, but you’re not stone-cold required to.

Is Reading Rookidee to give critique? Nope! Just the opposite in fact. Turn off your critique brain and enjoy the story. Afterwards, just leave a few sentences describing your favorite part and why you liked it! Forget about critiquing for now and just read :D

What if I can’t think of anything to say? No excuses! Surely there was a line of dialogue, a scene, a description, or even a character you liked. Figure it out! Then leave a couple sentences saying what you liked and tag the author on the discord thread!

Do I have to limit myself to a few sentences? Absolutely not! If you feel like gushing at length about the fic you read, go ahead! I am sure the author would love it.

Do I have to say something about the fic to participate? Yes. There are no exceptions to this. It doesn’t have to be long - a minimum of one to two sentences is good - but you should say something! If you want the author to keep writing, let them know you enjoy it! We writers need seratonin!

What if the author is not on the discord? If the author is not on discord, you can still go ahead and leave your thoughts on the Discord for others to see, and then post your comments on their fic thread directly too.

What if I am not on the Discord? Easy enough! After you have posted your signups, come back when the allotted time is up and just post directly in the fics' thread about what you liked! Feel free to crosspost on your signup post as well.

TL;DR

Reading Rookidee is a timed collaborative effort to catch up on your to-read list quickly and give the authors a lil serotonin boost along the way! Readers will read all or part of a fic of their choosing and leave a simple two sentence or more review of their thoughts on a designated discord thread.

Signup:​

Name of fic-
Link to fic-
# of Chapters you intend to read/Wordcount goal-

(For ease of reading/signup please limit any posts to either a signup or shill about a fic you read! No chatting please.)

Consider this post round 1!

Round 1
Time remaining to signup

Once the countdown is up, reading will "close" Monday at 9PM EST

Last edited:

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Name of Fic: The Long Road
Link to fic: # of Chapters you intend to read- to finish. Which is like. 4-5 chapters.

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts

kyeugh

you gotta feel your lines
Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
name of fic: broken things
link to fic: # of chapters to read: at least 4

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma

MintyMimix

Otherworldly Dessert
Pronouns
They/Them
Partners
  1. lurantis
  2. noivern-astrea
Name of fic - Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Eternal Shadows
Link to fic - # of Chapters you intend to read - Chapters 5-6

ShiniGojira

Multiversal Extraordinaire
Pronouns
He/him/they/her
Partners
  1. froslass
  2. zorua-gojira
  3. salandit-shiny

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Reading has begun! Don't forget to leave a few sentences worth of thoughts over on the discord/authors fic once you're done, show them some love! :quag:

Countdown to Round 1 End

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Fuck it, late join. Fourth chapter of OSAS:

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Late to join, first to complete. I read OSAS ch4 just now and it made me laugh aloud several times. The new POVs this chapter are all adorable and hilarious. Hype to keep going, at a faster rate~

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Late to join but IMMA DO IT

Name of fic: The Long Road
Link: Here
Chapters: I’d love to finish it but I don’t think I’ll manage that. So just one chapter for now!

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Late to join, first to complete. I read OSAS ch4 just now and it made me laugh aloud several times. The new POVs this chapter are all adorable and hilarious. Hype to keep going, at a faster rate~
Holy smokes congrats
Happy you made progress!

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
I read way more HoC than I intended because Namo had the nerve to do the worst cliffhanger I've seen in ages. >:[

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
[[Well with that, it seems like Reading Rookidee is over! Everyone got their reading done it seems like, so big congrats to everyone! I had a lot of fun with TQftL.

Plenty of awkwardness, hijinks, questionable decisions, a lil bit of murder throughout. And the 'Let's not think about it' part of the brain (which is no doubt getting very full).

If anyone has any comments or suggestions for how this turned out, please feel free to tag me on discord. Otherwise, looking forward to next time!]]

Round 2: Current

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Reading Rookidee - Round 2!

1646665769205.png

Time for the second round of Reading Rookidee!

For details on what Reading Rookidee is, please see the first post. Otherwise, signups close in about 30 hours

As always, don't forget to leave a few sentences telling the author why you liked their story after you're done reading.

Time Remaining to Signup

Time until end: X

My signup:
Name of fic- Eternal Shadows
Link to fic- https://forums.thousandroads.net/index.php?threads/pokemon-mystery-dungeon-eternal-shadows.509/
# of Chapters you intend to read- At least like... 2

Last edited:

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt