• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Non-Pokémon Project Admas

Diamondseed345

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/him
Special thanks to Chekhov for letting me use his ideas

And Special thanks to Shineblight for permission to use the Tullwend AU

Many of the events of this story are based on the "Ask WhitePearl and Steven" webcomic, written and Illustrated by thechekhov

But first, content warning.
Implied past human experimentation
Child abuse
Possible character death
Aftermath of graphic violence
Possible body horror?
Possible blood
Minor character death
Graphic descriptions

Last edited:
To you 5,000 years from now

Diamondseed345

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/him
For millennia, it seemed as if the only thing humanity would know was war. Some could say that it is human nature for man to fight his brothers, whether it be for resources, honor; territory, or power. Man and his cousins will inevitably fight in a petty squabble over things that blood doesn't need to be shed over. The progress that humanity had made over its million-year-long journey showed that cooperation worked best.

Alone, no man or woman could bring down a Woolly Rhino or Cave Bear. But working together, a tribe of humans could bring down a Woolly Mammoth. Perhaps the benefits of cooperation could outweigh the downsides of war.

That could not be said for what was happening now. Men and women fought alongside their spirit allies, who rallied them against phantoms from the sky. Every day, humans and spirits fell in battle, and there was a rare chance that a body wouldn't be found.

This was how the ancients lived for hundreds of years. The spirits of the Earth would summon them to battle phantoms from the sky, and they accepted that as life.

Yet on one fateful day... it all stopped. It was slow at first, with skirmishes being less frequent. But when the phantoms from the sky could be seen retreating in their boats that could fly, a celebration was called for.

Bonfires were lit, and instruments were carved from available materials, human and Earth Spirit would dance and eat as equals. Both man and spirit were born from the Earth after all, why wouldn't they be considered as such?

Others... had different plans, however, Three phantoms, above the others. One stoic, one mournful, one indifferent. They were more than just mere phantoms and could have been considered more gods if anything. The indifferent one, however, was the one above them all. No emotion could be seen plastered on her face as if she wasn't there mentally.

Mother Earth could be seen far below, with flames lighting up different parts of the planet.

Hundreds, if not thousands of flying boats ascended through and out of the atmosphere of the planet, fleeing for their safety due to what was about to occur.

Whoever would be left behind would be completely obliterated, but their sacrifices would not be in vain.

Both Stoic and Mournful held their hands out, aura flowing out of the gemstones embedded in their chests. The one above them all joined in soon after, and it all combined into a glowing ball of multi-colored light; white yellow, and blue. It began to grow slowly and was soon released as a blinding ball of light, that would briefly outshine the Sun itself.

Yet the light did not bring about its intended effect, as instead of being obliterated... the spirits of the earth warped and contorted to resemble demons straight out of the Underworld.

Time... appeared to come to a standstill for a moment, and the environment too morphed into something new.

Multiple times the environment changed, into skylines of cities with different architectural styles; a bleak laboratory, and the inside of some kind of vehicle. Environments that all felt foreign, yet familiar somehow... then everything went white.

A boy woke up gasping in his loft bed, hitting his head on the ceiling less than two feet above his head. The strange crystalline deformity on his forehead had left another circular mark on the ceiling.

"Ow..." He had placed his hand on his forehead, trying to soothe the dull pain on his forehead. Moments later, he grabbed his phone which was placed in the area of his loft where the mattress didn't reach.

"8:21 AM," the clock said, nine minutes before his alarm. Much better than the usual record of the times he woke up before, best to get up now.

He climbed down from his loft and grabbed the outfit his mother had assigned for Friday from his dresser. A white-collared shirt with a jet black vest to go over it, khaki shorts, and white socks.

It wasn't long until he to the kitchen to make breakfast afterwards, but something seemed different. Usually, it felt as if he was being watched, and he believed he at least had some kind of answer as to why.

A figure out on the streets, or in the wooded hills behind his neighborhood. Usually, he'd see her during the evening after the sun went down, or soon after the sun had come up.

The figure was a woman, or at least he thought it was a woman. Usually, when he saw her, she seemed to emit some kind of glow, similar in intensity to the light the moon gave off when it was full.

She seemed creepy, but for one reason or another, he wasn't scared of her. Perhaps it was the feeling that he had for one reason or another; he had met her before, or the fact that he had seen her outside for as long as he could remember. Something about her just seemed... mystical.

An almost otherworldly feeling emanated from her, one he was also familiar with somehow, but not sure how.

Could she have been some kind of... guardian angel? No, no she couldn't be. Could he just have been hallucinating? That's what his mother kept telling him. He would have thought if he was hallucinating, there would have been something else wrong with him. But other than his... peculiar appearance, nothing about him felt off.

Speaking of someone who always seemed off...

"Elliott, why are you up so early?" A woman's voice asked, walking into the room. She had a cup of coffee in hand, emblazoned with a crimson logo.

"Oh, mother! I just woke up a couple minutes before my alarm."

"You didn't have to get up earlier though."

"I just wanted to take initiative."

"Well, that's very responsible of you..."

"Thank you, mother," Elliott said.

After breakfast, he got on to his morning chores while listening to a Bluetooth radio. Many years of performing said chores made him kind of an expert on the best way to get things done. Say, putting clean dishes in one sink and filling up said sink until it was full, then rinsing all the dishes at once.

Yet today, he could hear something new that he didn't hear often. His mother Lusamine, was arguing with one of her fellows. Elliott peaked around the corner to get a better understanding of what was going on but was hard of hearing due to the podcast he had been listening to.

"Well, What are we going to even do?? He doesn't have a birth certificate, and you know that!" She was holding a hand out and shaking it slightly out of what seemed like anger, though it seemed more out of... frustration.

"We can't just terminate him either! He's too important to just throw to the wolves like that! If your supposed formula for a synthetic Steinn solution can't be used, what then??"

She stood there listening to the person on the other side of the call and sighed. "You know that will be very difficult Dalton. What do you suggest?"

Once again, the only thing that could be heard was the podcast.

"I understand. I'll be ready for when the time comes. Goodbye, Dalton." She proceeded to hang up the phone.

"Um... mother?" Elliott asked, walking out of the kitchen.

"Oh, Elliott!" Lusamine said, startled. "How long were you standing there?"

"Only a few minutes. Is someone getting fired at work?"

"It's not important. Just... work drama is all. Go back to the dishes, I need a clean kitchen to make Pumpkin Roll."

"Okay, will do."

He decided to change the radio station as he was cleaning, and he found something that focused on the disappearances of adolescents all around the United States. Specifically though, the disappearances in Seattle.

"The police department has released information that more local teenagers have gone missing." The host said with a monotone voice. "The only connection between the teenagers is that they are all students at Roosevelt High and Whitman Middle School. They were last seen earlier this week, and have been linked to the disturbing trend of serial kidnappings. The governor has set a state-wide curfew into effect for anyone under eighteen starting tonight. Now onto other news... Ominent Practical Technologies signs a..."

The reporter felt as if she was trailing off as Elliott stopped focusing on the radio. Besides, Lusamine already went on about everything that was everything at Ominent, along with her opinions on the such. He was never exactly interested in Ominent itself, however, despite his Mother's high standing in the company.

Hours passed, and Elliott went about his usual business. Sweeping floors, taking the trash out; cleaning up the bathroom, but there was also the things he did in his spare time. He was trying to one hundred percent Hollow Knight, the game he played most often.

To do that, he would have to beat the Pantheon of Hallownest, which proved to be... difficult to say the least. Over forty bosses he had to beat in a row he had to beat to get some kind of secret ending. And if he died even once when trying to attempt it? He would have to start all over again.

There was a location in the game said to be the most difficult area, the Path of Pain. But unlike said path of pain, you'd be able to try again in the middle of it. Would it even be worth the title of Path of Pain then? Screw the supposed Path of Pain. The Pantheon of Hallownest was the TRUE path of pain. Was the secret ending it rewarded even worth it?

That was what was on his mind when he went to bed that night after he was stuck for hours on end due to a boss based on vampires. At least the music that played during the fight was a banger.

He fell asleep listening to a Playlist of the game's original soundtracks, waking up occasionally when an advertisement paused the music. When suddenly...

He was woken up by the sounds of his bedroom door bursting open, and grabbed by the arms. He couldn't even scream as he was physically subdued to keep him fighting, and cuffs were tied to his hands. Only when he was being forced out of his room did he start speaking... and yelling.

"What do you want with me!?" He asked. No answer.

"Who are you!? Why are you doing this??"

Still, no answer, as he was further through the home. Just as he was about to head out the door, however, he could see Lusamine standing by said door. Was she... waiting for something?

"MOTHER!! PLEASE HELP ME!!"

She only winced at the yelling and pleading, but had a look of... apathy plastered on her face.

"We've collected the subject ma'am." One man said.

"Excellent, excellent!" Lusamine said, clapping her hands. "Now hurry up and knock him out. Dalton is waiting."

"Yes, Director!" One of the men pulled out a rag, and the room started to smell slightly like grass. He tried to place it over Elliott's mouth, yet it proved difficult due to Elliott moving his head back repeatedly.

"What are you doing mother!?"

One of the other men grabbed his head, and the rag was placed over his mouth and nose. The last thing he saw was Lusamine's indifferent expression... and everything faded to black.

Chapters end.

Last edited:
No longer of use

Diamondseed345

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/him
"What do you want with me!?" He asked. No answer.

"Who are you!? Why are you doing this??"

Still, no answer, as he was further through the home. Just as he was about to head out the door, however, he could see Lusamine standing by said door. Was she... waiting for something?

"MOTHER!! PLEASE HELP ME!!"

She only winced at the yelling and pleading, but had a look of... apathy plastered on her face.

"We've collected the subject ma'am." One man said.

"Excellent, excellent!" Lusamine said, clapping her hands. "Now hurry up and knock him out. Dalton is waiting."

"Yes, Director!" One of the men pulled out a rag, and the room started to smell slightly like grass. He tried to place it over Elliott's mouth, yet it proved difficult due to Elliott moving his head back repeatedly.

"What are you doing mother!?"

One of the other men grabbed his head, and the rag was placed over his mouth and nose. The last thing he saw was Lusamine's indifferent expression... and everything faded to black.

Everything had been dark and quiet for who knows how long. Minutes? Hours? Days? Elliott couldn't tell, as it mostly felt as if time had come to a complete standstill. The only thing he had on his mind though... was Lusamine.

Why didn't she do anything to stop those men? Why was she talking to them like that?

Eventually though... he could see light, light that was going through his eyelids.
His eyes were dry and heavy, and when he opened them... the first thing he saw was a logo. One that brought a slight nostalgic feeling... the crimson logo of Ominent Practical Technologies.

Why was he at Ominent HQ? What did they want with him?

Elliott tried to get up but failed to do so due to electric restraints on his wrists and ankles. He could hear what sounded like a heart monitor in the room, along with the distinct sounds of machinery all around him. But then...

"Please don't move, and look straight ahead." A familiar voice said. Elliott did as told, and through could see multiple people through a window in front of him. Men and women in lab coats typing on computers and writing on clipboards, while others were working with machinery. Lusamine was among them, with a clipboard in hand, one of them however stood out among the rest.

A man with combed-over grey hair in a tan suit combined with a red sweater and tie, along with foggy cracked glasses. There was no mistaking who this was...

This was the man himself, Dalton Schmector.

"Mother! Doctor!! Where am I? Why am I strapped to this thing??"

The Director ignored Elliott at first, and he couldn't even tell if Dalton was looking at him. He only continued to bark orders at his employees around their stations, preparing for... something unforeseen. Lusamine however, appeared as if she was only waiting for an unforeseen event. Was she... bored?

Soon enough, however, presumably due to Elliott's nagging, Dalton finally responded.

"Ominent no longer has use for you, but we can't let the public find out about your existence. Henceforth, you're being placed where you could be of further use..." Schmector appeared to be very official with his statements, unlike the strained facade he once put up when Lusamine would bring Elliott to the labs.
Wherever Elliott had been brought to, however, was a section he hadn't seen before.

"Further use? What do you mean?? You're... not gonna hurt me are you?"

"Hurt you? Don't be silly boy, I won't hurt you. I can guarantee that you won't feel a thing, can't guarantee the creatures where you'll go won't hurt you however." He only waved Elliott's accusation away as if it was nothing.

Elliott then looked to Lusamine, who still appeared to be disinterested. "MOTHER PLEASE!! HELP ME!!" His pleading went unheard, and Schmector only appeared ever more annoyed.

"Enough of this! I don't have the time to just sit around and baby you all day. Besides, shouldn't you have realized by now, that Lusamine isn't even your real mother?"

Dalton let the revelation sink in before a sickening smirk spread across his face. He then turned to face his employees.

"Sheldon, activate the Spac.r."

Elliott heard a click, and the bench he was restrained to began to recline. Vertical Blue screens on the left and right began to light up slowly as well.

"It's a go for molecular reduction. Spac. r is primed." Elliott winced as fluorescent lights turned on above, and what looked like probes activated and began to move. They reorganized themselves into a triangular position, and sparks began to fly as they too began to glow.

Elliott's pleading went unheard, as the probes began to fire bolts of pink and blue energy. He began to shake after the bolts hit his torso, creating what looked to be blue and pink "circuitry" across his body. His eyes rolled to the back of his head. It felt as if Elliott's brain was being fried and from his perspective, everything appeared... bigger.

The world looked like it was spinning while the perspective change only grew worse when it all ended as quickly as it began. The probes deactivated, as did the light, and Elliott was just left lying there with his ears ringing like mad.

"Molecular Reduction is a success!" Was the last thing he heard before his consciousness faded.

The next few hours were somewhat of a blur. Elliott went in and out of consciousness, experiencing what could only said to be visions. Some of them were memories of the woman that stood out in the forest at night, others were... more abstract.

A woman in a blue gown, and one in what looked like a golden military uniform and helmet. The one in yellow had placed a hand on the shoulder of the blue, while the one in blue had what looked like pieces of stained glass cupped in her hands.

Said shards had a bright pink color to them, and the people surrounding them appeared to be... crying?

The one in blue certainly was, while the one clad in Yellow kept a stoic expression on her face. Elliott didn't understand all the fuss, why cry over glass? He knew that stained glass was expensive and all, but why would one cry over it?

"We can't do anything to save her now..." The stoic one said, an apathetic tone in her voice. "But there is ONE thing we can do..."

"What?" The mournful one said through tears. "She's gone... tell me, what are we to do!?"

She looked in Elliott's general direction as if she expected him to say something. But it looked as if... she was looking through him?

"I-" His vision flashed into a cacophony of colors before he could finish his sentence, a cacophony of white, blue; and yellow. Yet... something felt missing. For a moment, it felt as if he wasn't complete for one reason or another.

Only one piece of the puzzle was missing, one piece needed to make it whole. To make THEM whole. He wouldn't be able to fully comprehend what was missing, as the different colors of the light blended to become purely white with a yellow tint. Elliott opened his eyes to the yellow light, to find that it wasn't from a dream or vision, but the sun.

"I'm... outside?" He attempted to stand up but found that he had some kind of IV connected to his arm. "What? Why do I..." After remembering what happened earlier, he decided he didn't want to know. He pulled it out and stood up, then realized that he had been in what looked like a protective case. It had a silvery color, along with a red stripe on the lid. There was also some kind of... green light above where his head was supposed to be.

"How long was I in that thing??" He asked, looking around. "Where am I?!"

Elliott turned every which way, trying to make sense of his new environment. Lithe, green plants surrounded him and his case, and what looked like a dead leaf was on the ground; he in turn, went to investigate.

"Is... that a leaf? Hold on! If that leaf is so big, does that mean I'm-" The boy turned to the south, and went silent upon his fears being confirmed.

A house the size of a mountain, that looked to be in the process of being overgrown. Yellow paint had flaked off in certain places due to years of neglect, and vines climbed its walls to reclaim it for nature.

"I'm... tiny??" He put his hands on his head, trying to comprehend his situation. Elliott proceeded to pinch his side and that small moment of pain made him realize something dire.

This wasn't some kind of nightmare... This was real.

Chapters end.

It's a small world

Diamondseed345

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/him
Elliott opened his eyes to the yellow light, to find that it wasn't from a dream or vision, but the sun.

"I'm... outside?" He attempted to stand up but found that he had some kind of IV connected to his arm. "What? Why do I..." After remembering what happened earlier, he decided he didn't want to know. He pulled it out and stood up, then realized that he had been in what looked like a protective case. It had a silvery color, along with a red stripe on the lid. There was also some kind of... green light above where his head was supposed to be.

"How long was I in that thing??" He asked, looking around. "Where am I?!"

Elliott turned every which way, trying to make sense of his new environment. Lithe, green plants surrounded him and his case, and what looked like a dead leaf was on the ground; he, in turn, went to investigate.

"Is... that a leaf? Hold on! If that leaf is so big, does that mean I'm-" The boy turned to the south, and went silent upon his fears being confirmed.

A house the size of a mountain, that looked to be in the process of being overgrown. Yellow paint had flaked off in certain places due to years of neglect, and vines climbed its walls to reclaim it for nature.

"I'm... tiny??" He put his hands on his head, trying to comprehend his situation. Elliott proceeded to pinch his side and that small moment of pain made him realize something dire.

This wasn't some kind of nightmare... This was real.

He was attempting to comprehend the situation he was in when he heard something moving through the tree-sized blades of grass. "What's that?"

Not taking any chances, he picked up a nearby stone as a meager form of self-defense. The tension in the air was palpable enough to cut it with a knife, but it all went down the drain when an... Ant came out of the brush.

It wasn't even aggressive, as it merely walked up to Elliott, chirping curiously.

He dropped the rock as its antenna started moving around to an extent.

"Um... hey, little guy." He cautiously placed a hand between the antenna and the ant didn't even seem to care. Suddenly, however, its antenna perked up, and it scurried out of the clearing the case and Elliott was in.

"Hey! Where are you going?? I-" He went silent upon hearing more movement coming from the forest of blades. Something... larger than just an ant.

Elliott picked the stone back up, ready to bash in the exoskeleton of an aggressive insect. But... it turned out he didn't have to do so, as said large insect was revealed to be a Ladybug. Not just any Ladybug either, as it appeared to be... domesticated, as it was covered in purplish leather straps; leading to what looked like a wagon from the old frontier days.

"Woah there!!" The coachman yelled, bringing the wagon to a stop. The coachman surprisingly, looked to be Elliott's age.

"Hello down there! You new around here?"

"Um... I guess so."

"That's what I figured. Folks at Grassletuft saw a new case being dropped from a flying Ominent bot. They got a welcoming party together and sent us to where they suspected the case landed."

Another guy around Elliott's age climbed out of the wagon and came up to him with a couple of papers in his hand.

His get-up was quite strange, at least to Elliott. His pants appeared to be made of materials from the local environment, plant fibers, and the like. He was wearing a hoodie as well, albeit there were a couple of holes and dirt stains across it.

The sandals he wore, however, looked to be made of the same purple leather-like material as the ladybug's harness. Elliott didn't drop the stone and appeared to be backing away slowly.

"Woah, woah. We're not gonna hurt you, we wanna bring you to civilization. It gets dangerous out at night you see..."

"Alright... but what comes out at night?"

"At this time of year? Usually, wolf spiders and Crickets sing their tunes. Tell me, have you ever seen a wolf spider before?" The new boy asked.

"I've seen one with a bunch of babies on its back in my basement one year."

"It was a big spider, I presume?"

"Yeah... biggest spider I've ever seen."

"Okay, now take that spider and make it..." The boy took a moment to think, placing a couple of fingers on his chin. "The size of two Hippos placed on one another."

"That's oddly specific, you come up with that on the spot?"

"Yeah, but you can't blame me for that. Had to come up with something, you know?"

"Guess so..."

Elliott was about to climb onto the wagon, but the boy with the pamphlets stopped him. "I'm afraid you're gonna need these before you step onto the wagon. Contains important knowledge."

"Like... classified knowledge?"

"What? No! Just... info all the newcomers need. I remember I needed it back in the day."

"Alright..."

They both climbed on and could feel the wagon lurch forward as the Ladybug began its march.

The pamphlet turned out to be some kind of brochure, explaining all the different species of insects and arachnids in Tullwend. Some were native to the environment, while some had been... imported, so to speak.

Elliott couldn't exactly focus on such things as Honeypot Ants or Ladybug Larvae however, as his mind was on... Lusamine, specifically what Schmector had claimed.

"Shouldn't you have realized by now, that Lusamine isn't even your real mother?" Played in his mind repeatedly. Was the Director's claim true? It couldn't be, Elliott had lived with Lusamine for as long as he could remember!

Could he possibly have been adopted then? The notion seemed possible to Elliott at first, but what Schmector had specifically said shut that down right quick.

There was one other subject on his mind brought on by Schmector, that he was "no longer of use" to Ominent. Ominent had been using him for some reason? How come, and for how long?

He couldn't have been some kind of mascot, as Lusamine wouldn't bring him to HQ often. Frankly, the only reason she would bring him to HQ at all would be to get his blood drawn every few months. Elliott was left feeling a bit faint. Could they have found use for his blood? If so... how did they? After all, blood is just blood.

Elliott was beginning to consider if he had O-type blood when suddenly, the wagon came to a stop. "Here we are." The coachman said. "Grassletuft, where Aphids and newcomers roam."

Elliott jumped off the carriage, as the other guy walked off to do stars knows what. "Do I... need to pay you at all?"

"Of course not my good man, not on your first trip. Newcomers need all the help they can get, you know? Now, I need to make a delivery of Charcoal ash for a construction project at Woodcrest. See ya then!"

The carriage took off, leaving Elliott at the limits of Grassletuft. The roads seemed to be made out of Cobblestone, or an attempt at Cobblestone considering they were stones packed together in the dirt. The buildings however, looked much more put together.

Foundations made of the stems of weeds, and walls of grass blade planks. Some buildings looked to be made of burs, while others out of... feathers?

Elliott thought the ingenuity was impressive, considering the people all around him. People, all around his age living their lives in this peculiar little town. Some were herding what he assumed to be Aphids with Shepherd's crooks, while others fed plant material to Aphids in pens.

Others were forging weapons on stone like anvils, or cooking Aphids en masse over large grills.

Elliott had to admit, that this tiny town was quite a sight to see. But he couldn't take in the sights now, for it was possibly the best time for him to look over his pamphlets.

He sat down on a nearby bench and opened up the second pamphlet... which turned out to be some kind of map. The paper was a light brown color and had a consistency that reminded Elliott of sandpaper. His eyes only landed on Grassletuft however, as one voice that drowned out the others had caught his attention.

"Step right up, step right up! This ointment made of wasp shells works wonders! Keep wasps from attacking you! Make the bees flee from your very presence! Lead wasps into battle against your enemies!"

Elliott got up and saw a boy with a small amount of facial hair standing on a pedestal, surrounded by people in average looking clothes. Jars of fluid with yellow particles were displayed on the lower parts of the pedestal, and the guy was holding one of those jars. He even wore a formal suit of the previously mentioned purple leather material.

"Control wasps without the need for O.R.C chips! Have them bend to your very will!" The salesman then laid his eyes on Elliott.

"Hey newcomer!" He said, walking off his pedestal and placing a hand on Elliott's shoulder.

"Have I got a deal for you? How would you feel, if you could be a BIGSHOT, and be what is essentially a king of wasps?"

"Um..."

"Well, guess what, I've got a special deal for newcomers like you! Why fight the wasps, when with only one dose of my Vespa Ointment, that isn't even required! With my ointment, Paper Wasps will bend to your very will!"

"So... like insect pheromones?"

"...Essentially, yes! If you have no strength to wield weapons or no strategic genius, Vespa Ointment will make you a BIGSHOT like the rest of..."

The salesman went quiet, upon seeing the crystalline growth behind Elliott's bangs. "How much will you give... for that gem on your forehead?"

Elliott jerked back, brushing his hair back in front of his forehead. "It's... not for sale."

"What? Why? I will give you anything for it. Name your price, and I'll deliver. You got inspired by that Lil Uzi guy I guess?"

"What? No! It's... always been there."

"Really? You didn't just glue it to your forehead or some shit? Cuz I'll still pay for it, just gotta rip it off like a Band-Aid."

"Hell no!!" Elliott yelled, almost making a scene. "It's not for sale, and it isn't glued to my head!!" Elliott walked away, all the while ignoring the salesman pestering him.

"Asshole..."

Chapters end.

Last edited:
Lab in the sea

Diamondseed345

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/him
Over the past few days, it looked as if Grassletuft was constantly changing.

Merchants would come and go, as would carriages full of people. While the carriages only passed through, the Merchants were there to stay, at least for the time being.

Many of them were independent of any of the development settlements in Tullwend, having built their compounds through the resources and wealth they had gathered using skills that they had learned from family members in the business world.

Others, however, traded only in the interests of the settlements they called home.

Say, if the outposts inside the house needed a fresh stock of supplies, they could make an exchange with Weevilville or Grassletuft for food. In exchange, said outposts would trade the food for scrap metal or copper wiring.

After all, the computers and servers left in the labs created by Tullwend's namesake held very valuable data. Both old and new information, such as info on SNPI-42Z, and more recent data on its mutagenic properties.

Elliott had gotten a ride with a caravan from the house, alongside other newcomers. They were headed to the Pond labs, the science center of Tullwend. Newcomers to Tullwend were recommended to head to the Pond Labs for medical inspection.

It was preferred that newcomers go to the Pond Labs sooner rather than later because local insects or arachnids might have gotten to them before a greeting party could.

"So..." The coachman said, trying to make small talk. "Where are you all from? I'm pretty sure Ominent has been nabbing people from all over the states..."

"Empire City." One boy said. "My father was a firefighter..."

"Place down south called Beaver Creek." Another boy said, this one with blond hair. "People said it was the best "Dam" town in America."

"Do you mean damn or dam?" The coachman asked.

"Dam, as in Beaver dams. Ironically though, never saw any beavers there." The conversation went on for about half an hour, with the rest of the newcomers explaining where they came from.

In places such as Orlando, Boulder City, and Charleston, the coachman even came from Philadelphia!

Elliott however, stayed silent during the whole ordeal. Frankly, he was mostly silent over the two days since he arrived. He just couldn't understand... why would Lusamine just toss him to the wolves like that? Why would the Director do such a thing?

After all these years, he thought he knew them, that they were good people. What did he do wrong? What did he do to be cast down into... this place where he felt he didn't belong?

These people were his age sure, but he had only been around other teenagers what, twice? Might it just be to be silent? He wasn't sure and didn't get to finish that thought as the carriage lurched to a stop, and he was almost knocked to the ground.

"Woah!" The blond said, catching Elliott by the hand before he could make an impact. "You alright dude?"

"Oh, yeah, thank you."

"No problem dude, but I have a question."

"...What is it?"

"Why do your eyes look like kites?"

Elliott's eyes went wide. He knew that his pupils looked strange, but people never commented on it during the rare times he was in public.

"They... just look like that."

"Really? Have they always looked like that?"

"Yes, I... have Coloboma."

"What's Colo-"

"Yo Blondie!" The coachman yelled. "You helped him, now quit pestering him about his eyes! Besides, he can't be much different than other folks around here can he?"

"I-"

"Shut it! Besides, we're at your destination, so y'all are free to go now."

The group Elliott was with got off the carriage and was left by the entrance to a tunnel. Two guards were standing on either side of the tunnel, crossbows in hand. They were even wearing sleek orange and white armor, with fins on the top part of the helmets.

"Hey, fellas." The blond said, approaching the guards. "What's up with the armor?"

"Koi Fish scales. Dragged from the depths of the pond, or collected from Trudy II herself.

"Trudy? That's its name?" The blond asked.

"Yes. We didn't choose it, the fish was already named that."

"Well, who named-"

"Doesn't matter, we just go with it."

"Speaking of names, the Director will require yours..." A voice said from the tunnel. Out of the darkness, came an older boy with a clipboard, and a scientist got up. They had mitts and shorts that looked to be made of Eel grass with koi scale patterns, and a crop top that looked to be made of... spider silk. They even had what looked like a transparent lab coat.

"Chris Eriksen." The blond said, bringing a driver's license out of his pocket.

"Were you in a group when you were transported to Tullwend, or were you alone?"

"With a group of people from school."

"Mhmm..." The scientist said, scribbling down what Chris was saying. "By the way, the question before I go in."

"Hm? What might that be?"

"Why do your pupils look like a crescent moon And your ears?"

The scientist sighed. "We just look like this, okay? If the Director has time, he'll be able to answer your questions. Does that sound good to you?"

"I guess so."

"Alright then, go ahead."

Chris went ahead into the darkness of the tunnel ahead, and Elliott was up next.

"Name?"

"Elliott... Elsa-Mina."

The scientists' fatigued looks changed to that of wide-eyed shock.

"Elsa-Mina? You don't happen to be related to one of the Ominent Directors, do you?"

"I-"

The scientist grabbed Elliott's hand and brought him further into the tunnel. "I'm sorry, but the Director knows about you! He needs to hear about this!"

"Are you talking about Dal-"

"No not Schmector! Just wait and see dude!"

The tunnels were laden with stones, with weed stems supporting the ceiling. A mix of torches and electric lights were scattered around as well, with said torches using what looked like tree sap as fuel.

The dirt tunnel shifted to become an artificial environment, heavy with the scent of a marsh. There looked to be an attempt to make the environment sterile, but with the cracks in the walls and the moss in the corners... it could be said that the attempt failed.

The scientist brought Elliott to some kind of office and burst through the door to find Chris getting an examination.

"Director!" The scientist yelled. "I've got someone you'd want to see!"

The Director sighed. "Alright. Just... give me a moment, okay?"

"Right away sir!"

The clipboard was placed on a table, and the two exited the office.

The scientist then proceeded to sit Elliott down on a chair just outside.

"Just... wait here, okay? The Director will be with you shortly."

"Okay..."

Elliott sat there, twiddling his thumbs for the next few minutes until Chris left the office and the Director came out of his office.

Peter was his name if the name tag on his translucent labcoat was to be correct. In the lights of the lab, Peter's features could be seen much easier than in the doorway of an office. His bob cut was shaggy and unkempt, and looked as if it was too far grown out. Unlike his assistants, he looked pale as a ghost, and parts of his skeleton could be seen poking through his skin.

Profound bags could be seen under his eyes, and his pupils appeared to shift to and from their normal shapes. Remarkably however, he had carried himself with incredible composure and lucidity despite looking like he'd collapse into a pile of skin and bones at any moment.

"Alright, Elliott is it? My assistant took quite a liking to you."

"I... don't know why. I think it was because of my... last name, or something."

"He didn't tell me what he wanted me to see, I'll have to ask him what was important later."

The two made eye contact and Peters's eyes went wide after getting a glance at Elliott's pupils and crystalline deformity.

"I've never seen mutations like yours before. How long... have you been down here?"

"About... three days I think? Why?"

"Ho boy..." Peter said, going silent for a moment or two. "I mean no offense, but... how long have you had that crystal on your forehead?"

Elliott didn't seem offended. "For as long as I could remember, same with my Coloboma."

"Huh... do you remember Ominent keeping you in their labs for a long period? Say... injecting you with some kind of pink or orange substance?"

"No... frankly, I don't remember anything happening after my brain felt like it was being scrambled under those weird lasers..."

"Brain felt like it was being scrambled? I've never heard someone say they felt something while undergoing molecular reduction."

Director Peter went silent for a few minutes, deep in thought. This newcomer was unlike anyone he'd seen before when it came to his "mutations." Sure, those at Wizards lair had bone growths similar to Unicorn horns, but what Elliott had? One, it was clear and crystalline. Two, it didn't have the length similar to a Unicorn horn and was about a third the length of an index finger.

Not to mention his other features were similar to other Tullwend denizens, like his ashen complexion. How did he get said features? Where did they come from?
He had to find out more.

"I've got a suggestion for you, would you like to hear it?"

"Sure, not like I have anything else to do..."

"How about you stay in the labs with us? We're not gonna experiment on you or anything, but... you have features different from anyone I've seen in Tullwend. We don't have much, but we've got Solitaire on a computer at least." Peter said, holding out his hand.

Elliott thought hard for a moment, and... made his decision. "Well... I've had to sleep out on the streets of Grassletuft. Why not? I could probably lend a hand to earn my keep." Elliott took the Directors hand, and stood up.

"You don't need to do so, but another hand with maintenance would be greatly appreciated. C'mon, I'll lead you to the sleeping quarters..."

Chapters end.

Last edited:
Maintenance and social issues

Diamondseed345

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/him
Director Peter went silent for a few minutes, deep in thought. This newcomer was unlike anyone he'd seen before when it came to his "mutations." Sure, those at Wizards lair had bone growths similar to Unicorn horns, but what Elliott had? One, it was clear and crystalline. Two, it didn't have a length similar to a Unicorn horn and was about a third the length of an index finger.

Not to mention his other features were similar to other Tullwend denizens, like his ashen complexion. How did he get said features? Where did they come from?
He had to find out more.

"I've got a suggestion for you, would you like to hear it?"

"Sure, not like I have anything else to do..."

"How about you stay in the labs with us? We're not gonna experiment on you or anything, but... you have features different from anyone I've seen in Tullwend. We don't have much, but we've got Solitaire on a computer at least." Peter said, holding out his hand.

Elliott thought hard for a moment, and... made his decision. "Well... I've had to sleep out on the streets of Grassletuft. Why not? I could probably lend a hand to earn my keep." Elliott took the Directors hand and stood up.

"You don't need to do so, but another hand with maintenance would be greatly appreciated. C'mon, I'll lead you to the sleeping quarters..."

The sleeping quarters weren't very far from Peter's office, and the view was... let's say, incredible. It was a mix of beds and computers, with tables and desks made from materials outside the lab, grass planks, and whatnot. But the view of the dome above it all was the cherry on top.

Sunlight mixed with the algae along with the blue light of the computer monitors scattered across the repurposed laboratory illuminated the large room in a contrasting, multi-colored gloom.

"Wow... you have people sleep here??"

"Yep, the biggest room in the lab. Even got a computer up that ramp with a database of everything we've cataloged down here. It's not Google or Firefox... but it's something."

"Do we have an assigned bed or anything like that?"

"No, just... choose an empty bed and fall into it I guess. You can go ahead and rest for now, I imagine it must have been a long ride from Grassletuft. I'll... give you your first assignment tomorrow. Sound good?"

"Yeah, alright with me..."

Elliott had taken a bed that didn't appear to be personalized, and for the first time since he arrived in these miniature lands... he managed to get a full eight hours of sleep.

He woke up to the sounds of chatter and shuffling. People were getting ready for the long day ahead, using what little free time they had to catch up on Tullwend politics and local gossip.

He could even hear some of the younger kids... talking about him.

Elliott figured it was nothing, so he left the living quarters and headed for Peter's office. "Director?" He knocked on the door, waiting for a response. "Come in..." Could be heard faintly. Elliott entered the room to find Peter working on a large pile of paperwork. He had what looked like a waterskin made of larva hide on his desk, and his pupils appeared to shoot back and forth from their normal appearance to a wide oval shape. "What is it, Elliott?"

"Oh, um... I wanted to ask what exactly you want me to do today. I wanna earn my keep after all.

"Hmm..." Peter sat there, chewing on his weed stem pencil for a moment. "I'm not sure, alright? Just... pitch in wherever you can."

"Right away Director, thank you..."

As told, Elliott pitched in wherever he could. Scrubbing algae off the walls, organizing files, sweeping, and the like. He mostly kept to himself during his work, not talking to anyone unless he was spoken to. The only real sounds he made were when he was humming original soundtracks from Hollow Knight, and a sea shanty from Stellaris of all things.

Yet, he could still hear the banter about him in the background. Most of it was just a discussion of a new arrival or someone who fascinated the Director, and that said arrival looked like they were from the Wizard's lair. Others though... were more direct and aggressive.

Elliott came back from grabbing a meal around noon and found the soap bucket he was using knocked over, and the sounds of laughing could be heard.

He sighed after realizing what had been done but decided it would be too much trouble to try to stop it.

"Assholes..." He said, grabbing a rag off his cart to clean up the mess. "Just have to make my job harder..."

Elliott was puzzled. He knew this couldn't have been an accident, he could tell from the laughter he heard earlier. The question was... why? What had he done wrong? Was this some kind of prank? Well if it was, it wasn't funny, not at all.

"Never mind that... got more work to do."

He cleaned up the mess and after grabbing more soap, he finished scrubbing algae off the walls and moved on to his next assignment.

He had to sweep around the entrance and make it look presentable to couriers and newcomers. No matter, he had been sweeping floors for years, how would it be different? After all, it was just dirt and pebbles.

When he got there, he found two younger kids talking about something he in no way wanted to hear. Whatever it was, it sounded dirty-minded, and he wanted no part in it. There was a time and a place for shit like that, and work wasn't that time.

He started near the entrance, being careful not to drag any more dirt inside the lab. Thankfully, the floor was made up of concrete, so the gathered dirt wouldn't get stuck in cracks like it would with cracks. Elliott only hoped that a gust of wind from outside wouldn't cause his dirt pile to scatter.

He had been so focused on the task at hand, that he had tuned out the sounds of the nearby kids talking, until...

"HEY UNICORN!!" A voice yelled, as a bucket was tossed and Elliott narrowly avoided it.

"Wha- what the fuck!?" He turned around to see the two kids who were talking earlier, now looking right at him.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?? What was that for!?" Elliott yelled.

"I don't know! What the fuck is wrong with you??"

"What's wrong with me?? What're you on about you little brat!?"

"You know what's wrong Unicorn! Besides, where's your wings?? You not grow them yet or something?"

"Wings? What're you- You know what? Enough of this." Elliott grabbed his broom, put it on his cart, and went back down the tunnel. He wanted to be the bigger man or at least get away from those kid's berating.

Yet those kids weren't letting up, as they followed Elliott beside the cart, calling him all sorts of names.

"What's wrong freak? You gonna cry??"

"Oh, I think we hurt his feelings!"

Elliott did his best to ignore them, to not even acknowledge them. He only wanted to put the cart back where he got it and possibly play some Solitaire. He just... had to go a little further.

"Do you not... HEAR ME!?" One of the kids yelled. But then, to get Elliott's attention... they knocked the cart over. It landed on Elliott's foot, almost knocking him over immediately.

"AAAGH!!" He sat there trying to get his foot out from under the table, trying not to scream from the pain. "WHY DID YOU DO THIS?! WHAT DID I EVER DO-"
"You have no right to talk freak! You-"

"AND JUST WHAT IS GOING ON HERE??" An angry voice yelled, coming ever closer.

The three looked in the direction of the voice and it turned out to be Peter, running to Elliott's side with wide eyes. "Are you okay?? What happened??"

Elliott pointed at the kids. "THEY happened!!"

Peter got the cart off of Elliott's foot and walked over to the kids. "Now what exactly did you two do?"

"We didn't do anything! He-"

"Don't Bullshit me, I heard him scream! What. Did. You. Do."

One of the kids stepped forward, one hand in the other. "I... pushed the cart to get his attention."

"And just WHY did you do that?"

"I... wanted him to pay attention to us."

"And why did you want that?"

"..."

Peter sighed, then turned to Elliott. "Elliott? Do you know why they were trying to get your attention?"

"Yeah... they were calling me a freak for what's on my for... my deformity."

Peter's pupils constricted as he turned to the duo. "WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU TWO!?" Peter yelled, almost snarling. "WE'RE ALL TRYING TO SURVIVE DOWN HERE UNDER THE SCRUTINY OF OMINENT, AND WHAT DO YOU TWO DO?? BULLY AND HARRASS A NEWCOMER!! DON'T YOU KNOW WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!??"

"I-"

"CLEARLY, YOU DON'T KNOW THAT, SO YOU KNOW WHAT?? YOU'RE FIRED!!"

"Wait, what? But we-"

"I WILL NOT TOLERATE HARASSMENT IN MY LABS! NOW... LEAVE!!" Peter pointed in the direction of the entrance with barred teeth. Surprisingly... his teeth were extremely sharp as if he were a piranha.

"Alright Alright!!" They both ran towards the exit, almost running into each other multiple times. Why hadn't they tried to collect their things though?

Peter then walked over to Elliott and helped him to his feet. "You think you can stand?"

"I... think so..."

"Well give it a try, see what you can do."

Elliott put weight on his injured foot while Peter kept ahold of him. Surprisingly... he was able to stand without issues.

"That's odd... usually an impact like that would cause some kind of fracture. Does it hurt?"

"Not that much, hurt a lot more when the cart hit me."

"Hmm... we should make sure it isn't broken, just in case..."

Elliott was brought to the infirmary, and Peter grabbed a medical bag made of the same purple material used for harnesses. To everyone's shock... Elliott didn't show any symptoms of a broken foot. Say, a deformity in the foot, swelling, or tenderness.

How could this be possible? Surely that cart would have caused at least a small amount of damage! No one was that durable, even those that were well-built from SNPI-42Z mutations.

Could it just have been raw luck? No, no it couldn't be. Peter didn't believe in things such as luck, or anything supernatural. There had to be an explanation for what had occurred... and Peter was the one who would find out. Or at least... he would try.

Chapters end.

Last edited:
Personal history

Diamondseed345

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/him
After the incident on Friday, everything seemed to be going well for Elliott. Without anyone to hinder his progress, the tasks and maintenance he performed could be finished seamlessly. With how efficiently he got his work done, it gave him an exponential amount of free time.

Yet even after his list was finished, he'd pitch in wherever he could. Mostly because work would help him keep his mind off of what occurred with Lusamine. It had occurred to him that since Lusamine had lied to him about being his mother, might she have lied to him more? If so... then what would she have lied about? Work kept him occupied so that he wouldn't have to ponder about the truth, but there were times when he didn't have work to occupy his mind.

When he was in bed, with everyone else talking amongst themselves or sleeping peacefully. The chatter and snoring couldn't drown out those dreadful thoughts when he would lay staring at Trudy II swimming above.

Would he ever go home?

How could one live in a place like this?

Why were they all sent here?

What was the end goal of shrinking so many people?

Questions like that and more echoed through his mind. Questions that he didn't know if he'd ever get answers to, or if he'd even want to hear said answers.

Yet... he'd soon have answers to at least some of his questions.

On one particularly cold morning, he was cleaning algae off a window to the pond outside, when he was approached by one of Peter's assistants.

"Um... Elliott, is it?"

"Yeah?" Elliott said, putting his rag on the cart next to him. "Why you ask?"

"Director Peter requests that you speak with him, and it might be best that you talk to him soon."

"Why? Does he get impatient?" Elliott asked.

"No, no he doesn't. He just... has a lot on his plate at the moment. It would be best to speak with him now so his work doesn't drag on."

"Oh, that's understandable. Thankfully I'm almost done cleaning off this algae right?"

Elliott was correct when it came to the time it took to wipe the algae off, as it only took five more minutes. He brought his cart to the closest it belonged and knocked on the door to Peter's office a few minutes later.

A faint "come in" could be heard from the other side, and Elliott did as asked.

"You wanted to see me Director... sir?"
Peter looked up from his work. "Oh, yes. Sit down, I'll be right over."

Elliott sat down while Peter brought out a medical bag from a nearby cabinet. He brought his seat to the same side of the desk as Elliott and brought out a small light. "Alright, you say you have Coloboma right?"

"Yes?"

"Well, I plan to test your vision, with a bit of a check-up, along with a couple of questions. Is that okay with you? You're not getting a physical or anything, just the knee and hammer stuff."

"Yeah... I guess I'm okay with that."

"Alright... just hold still for this first one, okay?"

Peter shone the light in Elliott's right eye, and to his surprise... the pupil dilated to become shaped like that of a snake. Just a small slit in a sea of grey.

"Fascinating, I've never seen pupils like yours before. They look so... natural too, have you ever seen cases of Coloboma other than yours?"

"No, I never really have."

"Well... Coloboma usually causes pupils to look more distorted than normal. Yours though, their shape appears too oddly specific to be natural. Do you recall having pupilloplasty surgery in the past?"

Peter took out a small notebook and appeared to be jotting something down.

"Pupilloplasty?"

"Oh, I didn't specify what that meant. It's a term for surgery on the iris to alter the shape of the eye's pupils." Peter said, not looking away from his notes.

Elliott thought for a moment before giving his answer, humming slightly.

"Not from what I remember to be honest. But it sounds like something that might have happened during my time at Ominent..."

Peter's head snapped up in Elliott's direction. "Can you say that again?"

"My... time at Ominent?"

"None of us were in the labs of Ominent long enough for a pupilloplasty, before they shrunk us at least. I'm curious, what's so special about your case?"

"Oh? I can't remember it very well, it's been quite a long time. For the first few years of my life... I was raised at Ominent HQ."

The revelation made it look as if Peter's eyes were about to pop out of their sockets.

"You were... raised by Ominent?? What for??" Peter asked frantically.

"I... don't remember exactly. Whenever I asked them, they'd always say that I had some kind of syndrome that caused my... strange appearance."

"Appearance?" Peter asked.

"This." Elliott brushed the hair off his forehead, to reveal the crystalline structure.

"It's a growth I've had since birth. I've... had to hide it because people would freak out if they saw it."

"Is this supposed to be the cause of whatever syndrome you have?"

"That's what the scientists told me," Elliott said. "They said that supposedly, it isn't malignant. They said the growth is the cause of my Coloboma and hair color. Said that caused my ashy look too..."

"You sure? There's that it was caused by? There's all sorts of things that can cause pale or grayish skin."

"The scientists were positive. I had a playroom with a window on the ceiling to let sunlight in attached to my quarters, and I still look like some kind of fangless vampire."

"Did they ever explain how your growth could have caused your hair and skin to be grayish in color?" Peter asked.

"Nope. Never explained anything other than what thought the growth caused."

"What... else do you remember other than that?"

"To be honest with you, not much of anything, and even those memories are foggy. Usually, I'd be coloring or watching SpongeBob in my quarters then Mot-"

Elliott paused for a moment, before breathing in sharply. "Lusamine, would bring me into the labs to draw my blood."

"Wait wait wait, back that up a minute. What were you about to say?"

"What'd you mean?"

"What you were about to say after what happened in your qua-"

Suddenly, one of Peter's assistants burst into the room, out of breath and startling Peter.

"Jesus Christ dude! I thought I told you to NOT just burst into my office like that!?"

"I'm sorry Director, it's just... something happened!"

Peter's eyes widened some.

"What exactly happened?"

"The infected sir! They... they..."

"Are you alright guy? What happened?"

"A horde of infected attacked Weevilville, sir! Almost the whole town was raised!!"

"What?" Peter's pupils almost looked nonexistent for a moment, before regaining his composure.

"Were there any survivors?? Where are they if there is any!?"

"They're at Anthill, sir! About fifty survivors from what I've heard!"

Peter gathered the medical items he had just used in his bag and almost made a beeline for the door before he turned to Elliott.

"You were raised in Ominent labs right?? Did they teach you anything medical-wise??" Peter asked frantically.

"I think they taught me the bas-"

"That's good enough!" Peter said, grabbing Elliott's hand.

The two rushed out of the lab and got on the wagon that belonged to Peter specifically, along with many of his assistants. Peter had both his hands on his head, almost covering his eyes. Elliott could barely make it out, but that look in his eyes... were complex emotions he couldn't understand.

The air in the wagon, however, was palpable with anxious emotions. A small part of Elliott said that something like this must have happened before and that they all knew what they were in for. He, however, was left in the dark wondering if he should even come along at all. If he should even see what kind of damage were capable of causing.

Unfortunately for him though, said damage would have to be confronted, one way or another.

Chapters end.

Blood on the anthill

Diamondseed345

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/him
"What you were about to say after what happened in your qua-"

Suddenly, one of Peter's assistants burst into the room, out of breath and startling Peter.

"Jesus Christ dude! I thought I told you to NOT just burst into my office like that!?"

"I'm sorry Director, it's just... something happened!"

Peter's eyes widened some.

"What exactly happened?"

"The infected sir! They... they..."

"Are you alright guy? What happened?"

"A horde of infected attacked Weevilville, sir! Almost the whole town was raised!!"

"What?" Peter's pupils almost looked nonexistent for a moment, before regaining his composure.

"Were there any survivors?? Where are they if there is any!?"

"They're at Anthill, sir! About fifty survivors from what I've heard!"

Peter gathered the medical items he had just used in his bag and almost made a beeline for the door before he turned to Elliott.

"You were raised in Ominent labs right?? Did they teach you anything medical-wise??" Peter asked frantically.

"I think they taught me the bas-"

"That's good enough!" Peter said, grabbing Elliott's hand.

The two rushed out of the lab and got on the wagon that belonged to Peter specifically, along with many of his assistants. Peter had both his hands on his head, almost covering his eyes. Elliott could barely make it out, but that look in his eyes... were complex emotions he couldn't understand.

The air in the wagon, however, was palpable with anxious emotions. A small part of Elliott said that something like this must have happened before and that they all knew what they were in for. He, however, was left in the dark wondering if he should even come along at all. If he should even see what kind of damage were capable of causing.

Unfortunately for him though, said damage would have to be confronted, one way or another.

It only took about fifteen minutes to get to the previously mentioned Anthill, which turned out to be quite close to the now mountain-sized oak tree in the center of Tullwend. A sparse amount of buildings and what looked like guard towers surrounded the hill.

People from all around Tullwend were gathered around the entrance to Anthill and the buildings, some with features Elliott thought impossible.

The native population of Anthill, however, stood out among the rest. Large ants with white markings on their bodies carried what looked like medical equipment alongside their ant-like owners. The owners of said Ants stood out among the crowd of refugees and personnel, being taller than those previously mentioned. They had muscular frames, allowing them to carry more materials and equipment than anyone else in Tullwend.

Large compound eyes allowed them to see in the dim areas of their home, and they had antennae that allowed them to smell what most couldn't. The only people who had a better sense of smell than them could be said to be those who inhabited Weevilville, but just how many of those inhabitants were left?

"Wow... why are all these people here?"

"Either heard the news of the attack, are refugees, or are medical personnel here to assist with those injured. You see that girl with the pitch-black eyes over there?" Peter pointed to the said girl, who was standing around the edge of the crowd.

She was pale enough so that she looked sickly, yet her face said otherwise. She had pitch-black eyes as Peter mentioned, and robes that appeared to be woven out of moth wings. Add to that, there was the symbol of the Red Cross on her shoulder... was she a doctor?

"Yeah, I see her... why you ask?"

"She's one of the folks from the Bloodbog. Their mutations essentially made them vampires, minus the fact they can go out in the sun. Most of them act like the people on those Florida men memes. Some of them, however, use their proficiency with blood to help those in need. I'm expecting we might see more of them as we head into Anthill..."

The duo descended into the Anthill alongside Peter's assistants and in a matter of minutes, they all left sunlight behind for the light of the torch.

The rush of refugees didn't seem to impact most of the Anthill residents, as they could be seen working and scurrying about, even working around the moving crowd. Renovations, transporting goods, and making patrols for security purposes, all while not interrupting the flow of their home visitors.

Some of the guards even had four arms, which allowed them to carry many weapons at once. Hell, Elliott noticed one carrying a battle axe made of sharpened sour candies, along with a club made from the parts of fallen ants.

The group had passed many rooms, with purposes specifically used for Anthill's life. Compartments used to grow a fungus that both the residents and Ants loved, along with a nursery used to incubate Ant eggs and occasionally collect them for food.

But soon enough they made it to their destination, which turned out to be a large dug-out room. Elliott beheld rows upon rows of cots, most of them with patients upon them. Some were being tended to by local doctors, others by doctors from the Bloodbog or other settlements.

Most of the patients, however, at least two-thirds of them... had blankets covering their entire body. If that wasn't enough, the mixed scent of metal with that of death made the situation very clear.

Many of the patients had passed on, and it was likely that more would do so as well.

"Dear god... a spider did all this??" Elliott asked, eyes wide.

"Not just any spider I'm afraid..." Peter said, rummaging through his bag. "It was infected with Cordyceps muscaria. Have you ever seen that Planet Earth documentary the BBC made a few years ago? It's a lot like that ant-infecting fungus, except these things still move around."

"So... insect zombies or something?"

"Well not all of them are insects, but pretty much zombies. Thankfully... they can't infect us, though with what these people are going through... I'm not sure which is worse."

Peter pulled a small can with what looked like a plant symbol from his bag, along with a roll of plant fiber bandages

"Since you said that they taught you the basics, could you help those suturing the wounds of the refugees? You just gotta... disinfect the wound so it won't get infected..."

"Alright, that I can do..." Elliott took the herbal medicine, while Peter kept the bandages. Yet when he was about to meet up with one of the Bloodbog doctors...

"Hey, before you start... take this."

Peter pulled out what looked to be a leather object, and it was revealed to be a copper blade. "The only thing you'll be able to do for some of these poor souls with no hope of survival is to put them out of their misery. Trust me, you'll..." He paused for a moment, shaking slightly. "Know who's done for and who isn't. Just... mark them with an x

Peter went to work on a nearby little girl, who looked to be on the brink of death.
There was a nasty gash on her arm along with one on her face, presumably from the spider. The one on her arm looked Yellow, with small amounts of black discoloration around the borders.

"Oh... god..." Elliott said, placing a hand over his mouth. He hadn't kept his mouth closed, however, as a small amount of saliva got on his pal.

There was no mistaking what this was for the duo...

"Necrosis, there's nothing we can do..."

Peter pulled out his own copper blade and pressed the blade against her throat. Her condition appeared to be hopeless, when...

"Are you sure... there isn't anything we can do?" Elliott said, placing his hand on the girl's shoulder. Unexpectedly, however, a small sparkle could be seen on the edge of his palm.

Peter flinched away at the sparkles, and miraculously... the girl's wounds began to heal right before their eyes. Said sparkles appeared over the necrotic wound and gash, as they closed over in less than ten seconds! She wasn't completely out of the blue, however, as she was still sickly pale, and had a fever that would need to be quelled.

But now, she wouldn't have to be put out of her misery or succumb to Necrosis.

"H-holy shit! You saw that too right? Like I... I can't be hallucinating right now!" Elliott was loss for words

How? How was it possible that the child's wounds had healed right there and then? That should have been impossible!

Peter remained silent for a good twenty seconds as he studied the girl's newfound condition. When those twenty seconds were over, he called for his nearby assistants to take the child to less urgent care.

Afterward, Peter spent another twenty seconds staring into space, completely dumbfounded as to what he just witnessed. You could almost see the cogs turning in his brain, trying to come up with an explanation within those hazy eyes.

"I... I don't know." Peter sighed, giving up trying to make sense of what had just occurred. "L-let's just handle the rest of the victims..."

Eventually, after what felt like hours upon hours, all the victims were either taken to urgent care or to be cremated. Peter's job was done and by extent, so was Elliotts.

Peter just stood in place as the last civilian was taken to urgent care, with a... far away look in his eyes, and his pupils kept dilating and constricting at a rapid pace.

"Hey... Peter, I think you might need rest... we both do." Do you think you could take a breather? You're gonna kill yourself from stress."

Peter didn't reply. Stars, he didn't even hear Elliott. Peter heard nothing but a constant, loud ringing in his ears for presumably the past five minutes.

His vision began to blur and fade into nothingness, and his body began to feel light.

It was almost like he was floating in space. From his point of view, it looked as if the ground was about to consume him when... he doubled over and was out cold on the ground.

"PETER!!"

Chapters end.

Last edited:
Spiders and mental health

Diamondseed345

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/him
Peter just stood in place as the last civilian was taken to urgent care, with a... far away look in his eyes, and his pupils kept dilating and constricting at a rapid pace.

"Hey... Peter, I think you might need rest... we both do." Do you think you could take a breather? You're gonna kill yourself from stress."

Peter didn't reply. Stars, he didn't even hear Elliott. Peter heard nothing but a constant, loud ringing in his ears for presumably the past five minutes.

His vision began to blur and fade into nothingness, and his body began to feel light.

It was almost like he was floating in space. From his point of view, it looked as if the ground was about to consume him when... he doubled over and was out cold on the ground.

"PETER!!"

Elliott managed to catch Peter in the nick of time, keeping Peter from slamming his head on the ground. If Peter had looked sickly before, he now looked like a zombie on the brink of falling apart. Was it because he had to work in an environment that smelled of death and decay? If so, Elliott probably looked worse for wear as well.

Nevertheless... Peter needed rest, they both did.

Elliott walked out of the dugout room, to find a handful of Peter's assistants helping to herd uninjured refugees. They were discussing some... conman preying on those from Weevilville.

"Hey uh... guys?"

The assistants went silent, and one of them sighed.

"What is it Ell-" He went silent upon seeing the unconscious director.

"Oh God, not again!!"

"Why can't he ever take a break??"

"I... don't know?"

"He can't keep doing this to himself..." One of the assistants said, hand on her face.

Peter's assistants decided there and then that they needed to head back to the Pond lab, for Peter's sake. Since Peter was going to be out of commission for at least the next few days, his second command would have to take charge of the lab.

It wouldn't be very difficult, considering that the plans for the week were supposedly meetings for trading purposes.

Meetings with the people from the Bloodbog for fresh medical supplies, the Hedge Kingdom for what to do with the Weevilville refugees and the like. Elliott had been left to watch over Peter, as the Directors assistants saw him as the silent type, thinking he wouldn't do well at a meeting.

Elliott didn't want to go to the meeting either, as he had been exhausted from working on the patients for what was essentially the whole day. He wasn't in the same condition as Peter mind you, though he had one hell of a headache when they got back to the lab.

He was in Peter's quarters, reading a book on North American Arthropods when the creaking of bones interrupted his concentration on the Giant desert centipede section.

Peter, who was now awake, was trying to push himself up. Yet he had become so weak from his late nights subsisting on what was essentially bug coffee that he fell back onto the softness of the bed.

Chills had taken hold of his entire body; there was a chance Peter might have become sick if he wasn't already.

"Woah hey hey, take it easy there. Elliott said, getting up from his seat. "Do you... need a hand?" Elliott said, holding out his hand.

Peter slowly pulled himself up again, and shakingly reached out for Elliott's hand. Yet... he ended up collapsing onto Elliott's chest, almost knocking him over. An unnatural warmth could even be felt emitting from Peter's forehead; his assistants were right. Peter did need to stay in bed, and possibly get some food while he was at it. Whether Peter would approve both recommendations however was doubtful.

A small blush could be seen on Elliott's face when Peter almost knocked him over. "Um... not to burst your bubble or anything, but... I think you have a fever, you might need to stay in bed. Do you... want me to grab you anything?"

"I- I'm fine." Peter stubbornly croaked. "There's more to do, I have to... I have to"
Peter suddenly caved in on himself, his stomach growling painfully loud.

When was the last time Peter even ate? Elliott wondered if he should ask, considering that Peter's rings could be felt against Elliott's chest, even with the layers of clothes between them.

That couldn't be good for his health.

"Peter, you need to eat. I've felt the pain of hunger before, they didn't let me eat for... days at a time, because it would impact my blood tests. With the condition you're in, it's almost guaranteed that you're in pain. Please, you must eat. I can go get anything you want."

Peter let out a small sigh. "...It can be whatever. I'm not picky..." his whole body went limp as he caved in.

"Alright."

Elliott set Peter gently back on the bed and made the trek to the nearby makeshift cafeteria. When he came back, Peter saw that he brought a burger made of ox beetle bits with mushroom fries.

"Alright, I got what I thought you might like. Do you... want these?" Elliott said, placing the tray of food down on the bed. Even though the food was made of... exotic ingredients so to say, the scent of the food reminded Elliott of the few occasions Lusamine would bring Wendy's grub home after a long shift.

Peter slowly nodded to Elliott's question. He seemed hesitant to dig in at first, simply picking at his food instead of eating it. Eventually, Elliott stared too long for Peter to ignore, and he took a small bite... and then he began to eat his meal ravenously. It looked as if he hadn't eaten in weeks... with how Peter behaved, however, that was likely the case.

Tears were trickling down his cheeks as he practically inhaled his meal, nearly choking on his food at one point.

"There there... take it slow, it'll be alright." Elliott said, rubbing Peter's back in a soothing motion.

Peter took Elliott's advice, and slowed down. Still, as he ate, tears wouldn't stop dripping down his cheeks.

When he finished his food, he wiped his tears, yet still more overflowed.

"Oh my God, I'm crying. This is so dumb." Peter croaked, trying to keep his composure.

"I don't think it's dumb, but... I know how you feel... they-"

"That's not why I'm crying," Peter said, assuming what Elliott was about to say, all the while clearing up Elliott's assumptions.

"I just... I'm so tired. I don't want to do this anymore." Peter gasped into his hands. His chest ached as he attempted to hold back his tears.

Elliott looked confused for a moment, but his eyes went wide when he realized what Peter meant.

"You aren't planning on... killing yourself, are you?" Elliott was somewhat familiar with the topic, thanks to Lusamine's rants about how some of the scientists who worked under her were "out of the picture." With how she said it, however, it was obvious what she had been implying.

"You don't have to do that... I can help you. I'm not sure how I can exactly, but you took me in when I was cast aside by whom I called family. I... don't know what I'd do if I had to be out in that wider world, I'd probably be doomed in one way or another. I'm here for you... no matter what, you can trust me on that."

Peter was... shocked by Elliott's words so to say. Mostly, his promise to always be there for Peter.

"...You..."

Peter had a difficult time saying what was on his mind. His brain was slow. Oh so slow. "You mean that? Wh-why?" Peter and Elliott barely knew each other. Sure, Peter had done a lot for Elliott's safety and such, but he never expected to be given anything in return, let alone so quickly.

"I... barely even know how to interact with other people, let alone people my age. Have you seen how your assistants look at me? People aren't always nice to those who are different if you didn't let me stay... I think I might have had to live alone or... would have died. I... don't know how I can thank you more by helping you."

Peter didn't know what to say... at first. Silence grew between the two for what felt like an eternity, then Peter leaned his head against Elliott's shoulder. "...Thank you..." Peter mumbled under his breath.

"For listening. And I... I'm sorry you had to handle me when I'm like this."

"I'm here for you..." Elliott said. "I don't mind if you vent t-" A shrill scream interrupted Elliott, one that he could recognize.

It was one of Peter's assistants, who stopped by the doorway catching his breath.

"What're you doing here??" Elliott said, shocked by the assistant's early arrival.

"Wo... wol..."

"Are you okay sir?"

"Wolf spider!! It's an infected one, it followed u-" Suddenly, a small group of fungus-caked spiderlings swarmed the assistant, one of them crawling onto his leg.

"Fuckin hell, get off of me!!" He kicked off said spiderling, which was flung into the room towards Peter's bed. Peter shrieked and backed away further into his bed, being too weak to fight.

"Oh God, these things are infected!?" Elliott yelled, backing away. The spiderling shrieked and lunged at Elliott.

However... in less than a moment, Elliott had sucker punched the little bastard, sending it into the wall and leaving blue and green glowing fluids on his hands. "Nasty shit..."

Elliott then turned to Peter.

"I know how bad an attack from these things can turn out but... just how big, are these things?"

"Well..." Peter paused for a moment, attempting to keep his composure. "Imagine an elephant, but a bit smaller that's... what we shrunk kids have to deal with. AND it's infected? I thought Hoops and her crew..." Peter trailed off, trying to think while his heart was practically beating out of his chest. "We need to go... now!!"

"We can just barricade the entrance, right? I don't think an elephant-sized creature can get in!"

"You don't understand!" Peter yelled, wheezing slightly. "The infected will do ANYTHING in their power to get to their targets! The fungus doesn't care if the creature is harmed, it will squeeze in here for all it cares! We... need to get to the emergency exit!"

"Where is that??"

"In the lower levels! There's equipment down there for when we need to get into the water!"

"Enough said then!"

Elliott scooped Peter up, leaving his book behind, and followed Peter's directions on where to go. They went through once-flooded hallways, all the while many of Peter's assistants followed in their stead. Most of the guards couldn't be seen, as they were off fighting the spider and its children.

Soon enough, they made it to the emergency exits, which turned out to be a floor that should open up to the pond. On wracks, were translucent fishtails that looked like... Mermaid tails?

Nobody seemed to care, as they were grabbing the tails, while the shortest of the group was attempting to activate the exit. Two guards stood near the exit, crossbows pointed at the door, ready for whatever would come through.

"Um... we have a problem!" The shortest one yelled. "Not like we have enough of those right now!" One of the assistants said. "What's the problem??"

"The door is jammed! There's a large build-up of algae below us, I can see it on the cameras!"

"Wait, are you serious!?" Elliott yelled.
Peter, however, was silent upon the revelation. Was... this the end? Torn apart by a merciless predator so close to safety?

Then... he had an idea.

"Elliott, put me down by that little compartment."

"What? Why??"

"I'll try to force the magnetic locks to activate."

"Alright... if you think it'll help!"

Elliott placed Peter down by the compartment, and he proved to open it and looked to be... messing with wires?

Whatever he was doing, Elliott hoped to... whatever deity or deities existed in this world that Peter would succeed.

Then the banging started. A small thump at first, then a second... then a third, and they continued to grow larger.

"This is it. When that door comes down, light this damn abomination up!!"

With a crash, the door came down, and a flood of fungus-covered spiderlings flooded the room. They were mostly focused on the guards and proved to be a distraction while the BEAST itself crawled into the room.

Its hair-covered legs heaved its great body through the door which it barely could fit through, leaving glowing fungal juices on the doorframe.

The guards had been kicking and shooting at the spiderlings when they noticed their great mother in the doorframe.

"Shit! Open fi-" The spider lunged through the doorframe, breaking it in the process, and exposing most of its body. It managed to grab ahold of the guard's shoulder with one of its fangs, which only managed to get a bolt in its purple swirling eye before the spider bit down.

Some of its legs seemed to be missing, or torn up into small pieces, as was its abdomen. The abdomen appeared to have been partially rotted away by the fungus, as it appeared to have grown from within, exposing the poor spider's insides.

Its eyes were swirling with an unnatural purple color, while one was oozing blue and green fluid from the wound left by the crossbow bolt.

To make things worse, the spider now had its eyes on Elliott, not caring for the guard who was further away from its last victim.

Elliott was frozen, time felt like it was slowing down as it heaved even faster, a ravenous look in its eyes.

But then, a peculiar sensation flowed from the crystal on his forehead, one that didn't feel natural. His skin felt as if it was ice, as everything was beginning to grow cold.

The feeling evolved into numbness, and it in no way felt natural, it didn't feel right. It couldn't be right! Something was wrong!

Until...

D̵̬̭͇̬̀͗̏̍͐̈́͠ͅỒ̸̫Ṉ̷͓̠̳͓̆͛ͅ'̸̡̞̜̱̘̾̄͑͛̅̆̀T̶͎͋͗͒̓́̒̇̕ ̸̫̽̓͑̿̓͗́́̏̀̐̏͜͝T̶̬̞̯̱̤̉Ö̸̗̙̝̪̗̫̘̌̄͜͜͝Ü̵̱̻̝̻̤̲̮̩̠̮̲̺͍̟̉̊̍̆̈́͊͜Ć̸̡̛̪̞͙́̍̀̇̿̏̑̓̓̐͘͠͝H̷̛̼̣̪͉͙̞̫̗̟̅͆̓͌͆̾̒̇͊̈̂ ̴̖̪̺̥̥͕̙̙̳̮̯̜́͒̅͗̑͐̓̂̑͝͠͝T̴͚̳͇̺͊̊H̵̞̺͕̭͓̖̜̺̜͈̳̩̺̦̿̔̓̍͐͋̆Ė̷̞̗̙̰͈̱̄͑M̷͉͙͉͖̟͎̤̩͖̩͈̾͑̇̄͜ ̵̧̡̬͖͉̫̪̭͔̭̞̳̳̱̬͂͊̂H̶̢̳͍̘͓̗͇̥͓͔͙̒̾̈̔̉̓͑̑͒̇̈́͊̂̓̈́ͅİ̸̯̣͌͊̂͑̍̈́̃̎̓͌̑̚̚͝M̸̡̻͇̗͎̭̗̳̞̱̯̮̮̿͂̿͂̂͐̀̍̒͛͛̊̅̚ ̶̥̝͉̗̘̰͉͔͓̟̥̠͇̍ͅͅU̷͈͇̤̦͙̙͔͑̀̌̓Ṣ̵̬̣̬̘͖͉̭͇̻̠͈̥͋̒̃͐͆̀̈́̃̒͜

Elliott let out an inhuman screech, and a blast of energy was sent towards the spider, sending it back into the hall.
Every part of him felt wrong, his skin felt cold, his ears were ringing, and he was... glowing?

Peter and his assistants had been awestruck by what had just occurred but became even more so when they saw Elliott glowing an almost pitch-white color. His skin, his hair, his eyes, and even the crystal-like deformity looked as if it was alive with the light being emitted from it.

Elliott ran at the fungus-covered beast, screaming at it as he essentially tore it to ribbons. Floating shards of what looked like crystals embedded themselves in the spider, and it too was screeching an otherworldly scream until...

The purple color faded from its eyes, and it finally collapsed, with Elliott doing so as well soon after. The white glow had disappeared from his body, with the crystal being the last to stop emitting light.

"Elliott!!" Peter wasted no time; he rushed to Elliott's side to check his pulse and his condition. From what Peter could analyze, Elliott had simply passed out from pure exhaustion.

He breathed a sigh of relief, not only for the fact that Elliott was alive. But... for the fact that he had saved him and his assistants. Had THAT not have happened, he... no, he didn't want to think about that.

"Um, pardon my interruption Director, but what the fuck did that guy just do!?"

Chapters end.

Last edited:
White space

Diamondseed345

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/him
Moments earlier, he had been screaming at the top of his lungs, tearing a fungus-caked spider to bloody ribbons. Now? He was on the floor next to said spider, unable to move, and barely breathing. He felt light-headed and as if he was about to vomit, due to staring at the slain Wolf spider, and being very close in proximity to it. The detail was... excruciating, to say the least.

All of the individual hairs on the beast could be seen, along with the stands of mycelium spreading from the fruiting bodies of fungus growing where one of its eyes once were. It almost looked like the spider was sprayed with multiple cans of Silly string.

Elliott felt as if the spider was staring at him, as even after escaping this mortal plane, those eyes... held no emotion. No anger, hunger, fear, or contempt. It almost looked as if the act of being infected with Cordyceps muscaria had completely Hollowed the creature out, figuratively and literally.

For a moment, it almost seemed like the beast would lunge at Elliott, with him being able to do nothing about it.

But then... he felt a small amount of pressure on his wrists, then around his back and legs as he was scooped off the floor. Peter had picked him up, and Elliott could... somewhat, hear Peter conversing with his assistants.

"I told you..." Peter said, sighing in the process. "I don't know what he just did, nor how he did that. He saved our lives, that's all that matters now. I don't know if even HE knows what just happened. But... it's not like we can ask him now, well... not yet at least."

"What're we even gonna do now Director? That spider is blocking the pathway, and the emergency exit is blocked!"

"Do you think I don't know that!?" Peter snapped. "Besides, word will spread of the attack, they always do! The spider will either get moved, or we will get out through the emergency exit. Elliott however, we need to leave him out of this for now... let him rest."

Peter placed his fingers on Elliott's eyelids and closed them. For a moment, Elliott truly felt peaceful. After what had just occurred, he only wished to rest.

Yet he wouldn't get his wish, as Elliott began to feel as if he was falling. Falling through a void filled with stars, where there was nothing but him.

He plunged into what felt like an endless ocean at the bottom of this void, and light began to replace the darkness of the void above.

He didn't know how long he descended through the ocean, minutes, hours, days? It was as if he had become disconnected from the reality around him.

Then... he felt a sudden burst of energy. He could move around in this ocean, but... he couldn't breathe. He was glowing... just like the environment around him.

He had been trying to swim for the surface but... he had just kept going deeper and deeper. What was this? Was was going on?

He kept trying to swim, kicking his legs harder and harder, but an unseen force kept dragging him deeper.

Then... he could sense this unseen force. Something was in this ocean with him. Not a fish, not a whale or some kind of leviathan, something... else entirely. Something completely foreign.

Then he saw it, or rather... it saw him.

A GIANT pair of eyes, seemingly the size of a pickup truck compared to a normal-sized human, with rhombus-shaped pupils.

Just like those of Elliott.

They stared at each other for what felt like an eternity, until the eyes blinked, along with...

"That was quite the show Starlight." A voice said, echoing throughout the radiant abyss. "But... your display of power was not enough. You have a long way to go. A VERY long way to go." The voice was matronly and filled with a strange sense of authority. That's what it felt like for Elliott at least.

"Wh-what are you?? WHO, are you!?"

The eyes appeared unamused.

"I'm a you that you have yet to achieve." The eyes vaguely answered. The eyes' tone was... infantilizing, mocking almost. They felt as if they were better than Elliott, that much was clear.

"What... what're you talking about?? This has to be a dream... you're not real, this PLACE isn't real. None of this can be real!!"

"Oh? I'm not real? I can assure you that I AM real, and you can be assured that what will you learn shortly will be as real as the beast you have slain."

"You want me to... learn something? What do you want me to learn?? What could I learn in a dream that I can use in the physical world??"

"You shall see with time..." The voice said vaguely. "Unfortunately, it would be best for you to learn somewhere you are already familiar with. Therefore..."

Elliott's vision went completely white, and for a moment, he couldn't see a thing.

When his vision cleared, he was no longer in the radiant abyss, but in some kind of... dojo? It was reminiscent of the dojo in the Matrix movie Elliott had watched for movie night a few months back, except for one crucial difference.

There was a large rhombus symbol on one of the support beams, with four smaller multicolored rhombuses within it. Said rhombuses were white, yellow, blue, and pink. What did it represent? Elliott didn't know, but there was something vaguely... familiar, about said symbol. It felt important, ancient even.

"Now..." The voice said, breaking the peaceful silence. "Your first lesson shall begin. Like me, it should be possible for you to summon a weapon. You- "

"Wait a minute, summon a weapon? How... on Earth am I supposed to do that??"

"I will try to explain in a way one such as yourself can understand. Think about the wind, and how such phenomena form. The wind seems improvised, but it is calculated in real-time due to the physical properties of a world that are required beforehand. A world needs sufficient enough mass for an atmosphere, and to orbit around a star. The radiation of the star needs to penetrate the atmosphere and create areas of high and low pressure. This is what is required for wind to form."

The voice paused for a moment.

"With patience along with dedication, you will be able to achieve what even the machinist Halites can achieve."

"I... didn't understand a thing you said. And Halite? Isn't that... table salt or something?"

"...Table salt? That's what you call them?" The voice said, sounding amused. Then... a chilling laugh echoed through the room, and presumably into the expanse beyond.
"I've had enough of this for now, we'll try something else later. Maybe then, you will LEARN something."

"Wait what? What'd I do-" Elliott's vision turned white and moments later, saw a mossy white ceiling above. He looked to his sides and noticed that an IV drip, along with a run-down heart monitor was attached to him. At first, it looked like no one was in the room with him, at least... until he heard the sound of scribbling.

That sound was revealed to be coming from PETER of all people, who seemed to sense Elliott staring at him, and looked up from his notebook. Once he realized Elliot was awake, his eyes appeared to widen.

"Oh thank God you're alright!" Peter yelled, running over and pulling Elliott into his embrace. Elliott was silent, having become lost for words. NOONE had hugged him before, not even Lusamine nor the extended family that rarely came to visit.

He... didn't know what to think.

"That was one hell of a stunt you pulled off back there! Normally, it takes a whole squadron of people to take down an infected wolf spider! I mean, people can take on a normal wolf spider on their own, but what you managed? I thought that was straight up impossible! How'd you even do that?? You were glowing, crystals formed around you, and then-"

Peter went on and on, and Elliott just looked overwhelmed. He could barely remember what Peter was describing, and besides... he had just woken up from being unconscious for who knows how long!

"Can you... let me go please?" Elliott said in a strained voice.

"Oh, yeah! Sorry about that, didn't mean to get in your space like that." Peter proceeded to let Elliott go.

"Thank you Peter..." afterwards, he proceeded to try and disconnect the IV and hear monitor from his arms when he noticed... something off. He was in a hospital gown, or at least the Tullwend equivalent of one. It looked to be made of plant fibers, with some kind of sprig being used for a form of structural support. Its style seemed a bit unorthodox for hospital gowns, but if it worked... it worked.

"Hey, um... Peter? Where are my clothes at?"

"Oh, your clothes got torn up when you ripped that spider a new one. Also, fungal juices stains are a pain to get rid of. Don't worry though, we've got some spare clothes for you! Besides, I don't think a dress shirt and vest along with sweatpants would give good protection from the environment."

"What... exactly are these new clothes?"

"Oh, a black pair of jeans, and a patched up hoodie. But first, question."

"And that question is?"

"What shirt size are you? Considering the tag was torn off in the fight."

"Oh um... XS I think."

"Alright then, that's the size of those clothes! Do you want me to bring them to you?"

"....Sure..."

Peter left the room for a moment, and came back in the room with a neatly stacked pile of clothes. He then proceeded to leave the room, so Elliott would have some privacy.

As he was putting them on however, Elliott felt conflicted. Lusamine never really let him dress this way, and usually made him dress more formally, as if he was getting ready for a recital that would never come.

Why was that? Was it because she always dressed formally outside of work?

You know what? It might be best not to worry about that now. She abandoned him, why care about how she wanted him to dress?

When Elliott exited the room, he found Peter waiting outside patiently.

"So... how do I look?"

"You look great... and to be honest? That outfit fits you..."

"Thank you... Peter."

Chapters end.

Into the hedge

Diamondseed345

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/him
The Pond lab had become... surprisingly silent ever since the wolf spider and its brood squeezed through its halls. Current research or trade negotiations had to be put on hold, as those who had died or were injured had to be tended to. To add fuel to the fire, the spider had caused structural damage due to its sheer size. It was practically the whole length of the hallway as if a wall of chitin, fungus, and eyes had attempted to destroy the lab in its entirety.

Water leaks, flashing lights, Hell a compartment near the surface entrance had almost collapsed. Dirt had seeped into the compartment, and weed stem support beams were placed within it and the test of the hall to prevent any more damage.

Yet other events in Tullwend were worth paying attention to, other than the Pond lab carnage. Take the Weevilville refugees, for example, much of their kinsmen were dead, and the remainder were left homeless, injured, or even both.

A refugee camp had been set up in and around Anthill for the survivors to stay in, but it was clear that they couldn't stay there forever. Many of them wanted proper rooves over their heads, instead of the cloth ceiling of tents or the stars above.

Some of those with higher status at Anthill, however, along with many of the people... wanted the refugees gone as soon as possible, mostly for shallow reasons. Their suggestions on where to place the survivors were not very favorable as well, if not outright dangerous.

It was clear that Anthill couldn't handle the issue alone, due to the rising tensions between its citizens and the survivors, for the chance of political bias and potentially even violence were too much to risk.

Elliott had questions about these issues on his mind, though they usually went to the back of his mind so he could perform his usual duties, along with taking care of Peter. At least... until one day in mid-November, a courier came to the pond lab. Due to his apparel and... distinct, mutations, it was clear where he was sent from.

"State your purpose courier. What package did you bring?" One of the guards said sternly.

"I... bring a message from Her Majesty the Broodqueen!" The courier said, pulling an envelope out of his satchel.

"Oh really, for the Director I assume? What's she want?"

"The Broodqueen's words are for the Director to see!"

"Alright, if you say so..."

One of Peter's assistants was called upon and entered Peter's office to find... Peter practically destroying a meal that Elliott helped prepare. Elliott was there as well, eating in his chair.

The three stared at each other for about thirty seconds until finally, the assistant broke the silence

"Um..."

"Can you please knock??" Peter asked, annoyed.

"Sorry... what did you need Ripley?"

"Broodqueen Branch has sent a courier for you sir," Ripley said, placing the letter on Peter's desk. Peter picked it up, examining the envelope for a moment. It had the seal of the Hedge keeping it closed, a stylized spider face. Peter knew from years of experience, that this was real.

Peter grabbed a nearby letter opener and after reading said letter for a few minutes, he breathed a sigh of relief. "About time they were addressed..."

"What is it, Peter?" Elliott asked, trying to look over Peter's shoulder. "It's a call for an official meeting at the Hedge, from the Broodqueen herself. She wants to address the recent refugee crisis and eliminate any bad blood created by it. The date is... the twenty-third of November."

"Wait, November?? What day of the month is it!?

"Nineteenth of November I Presume. I usually don't keep track of the dates. A whole bunch of us don't in fact, focusing on certain events doesn't matter when you're doing what you can to get by."

"Alright, that's understandable I guess... wait a moment," Elliott said, pointing at the bottom of the paper. "I think you missed that little blurb in the corner!"

"Oh?" Peter squinted and brought the paper close to his face. "Huh... she wants you to come along too!"

"Seriously? How come?"

"Oh, it's because you killed that spider. There... are people that are supposed to be at the meeting that would like to speak to you supposedly."

"Does it say who?"

"No... I have a feeling who though."

Over the next few days, Elliott would somewhat dread the coming meeting. He didn't have anything nice to wear, and his social skills were practically the same as when he first started working in the lab. Would he have to represent the Pond Lab alongside Peter? He never had to speak with or at a large number of people... what if he embarrassed himself? What if he embarrassed Peter?

That anxiety would come to show on the day of the meeting as he and Peter were getting ready for it. Thankfully, Peter seemed more confident than usual, likely thanks to what Elliott had done beforehand. Elliott wished that he could have that kind of confidence, even if it was a small amount like what Peter had.
He doubted if he would even be taken seriously at any kind of official meeting.
After all, a hoodie and jeans would likely be seen as very informal in a meeting out in the wider world.

Maybe... he could just ask Peter?

He looked to be almost finished getting ready, as his hair was clean and brushed for once. Peter finished straightening out his jacket and proceeded to look in Elliott's direction.

"How do I look?" Peter asked curiously.

"...You look good, presentable even! Better than what I've got on at least."

"Why'd you say that?"

"I mean, look at you. What you're wearing feels like it represents the Pond lab perfectly... and then look at me. I just look like some guy you'd see at a convenience store or whatever. Nobody would take me seriously looking like this..."

"Hey," Peter said, placing a hand on Peter's shoulder.

"Don't beat yourself up like that, okay? No one around here truly cares about what another wears down here. I mean... look at me and almost everyone else in this lab. I'm wearing a crop top and a see-through coat. Albeit it's mostly for functional reasons, my point still stands."

"Are... are you serious? How come people don't care?"

"Well... back when everything was being set up, and survival was a day-to-day thing, values of the outside world began to matter less. Tradition wasn't as important as survival, so most people wore more functional clothing. Normal clothing isn't illegal mind you, they're just rare. You don't need to look presentable, people will treat you the same way as a guy in a suit."

"Huh... that makes a lot of sense."

"Alright then..." Peter said, walking to the exit of his office. "You're ready too I'm sure? Because the meeting starts in a few hours, it would be best to be early so..."

"Yeah, I guess I am. We took a carriage again?"

"Yeah... it'll be here soon. Let's head out."

The duo exited the lab and sat under what was essentially a bus shelter made of regionally available parts to wait for the carriage. The air was cold, and the sky was cloudy.

Elliott wondered if snow was an issue during the winter, just... how would it affect Tullwend? Might depend if Tullwend was located in Seattle. He remembered that the city didn't usually reach freezing temperatures, but considering they were in one of the northernmost states, snowstorms were a possibility.

Would snow crush most of the buildings? Where would they all go if-

"Elliott!!" Peter yelled, snapping his fingers. "The carriage is here!"

"Oh... sorry, I'm coming," Elliott said, climbing onto the carriage next to Peter.

"Okay coachman, he's on!"

"Alright then! Just gotta warn you two, I gotta stop in the Bloodbog to make a delivery. I'll try to be quick though!"
Peter and the coachman talked for almost the entire ride, while Elliott was kept alone with his thoughts, and said thoughts were mostly questions. Questions about his recent... dreams, if they could even be called that.

Visions of a great sea of light, giant eyes that looked similar to his own. That voice sounded so... familiar, yet he couldn't put a finger on where he heard it before. Where had he heard it before? Why did it feel so... important? After all, those eyes and that voice couldn't be real. They couldn't be, they were just dreams. Things you see in dreams aren't real, they are only constructs of the mind... right?

Elliott was contemplating the possible meaning of these strange dreams when the cart came to a sudden stop. He then lurched forward suddenly and would have torn straight through the cover if Peter hadn't grabbed him by the arm.

"Holy shit! You alright man??"

"Y-yeah... thank you..."

Peter then turned to the coachman.
"Was that really necessary man?? Like seriously, we could have gotten hurt!"

"I didn't want to hold you guys up"

"Yes, I understand that! Do YOU understand that being in a rush like that might get us seriously hurt??"

"Yes..."

"Then why did you do that??"

"Well..."

"You know what? It might be better to just go on foot... what do you say, Elliott?"

"Sure..."

"Welp. Whatever you two want I guess..."

After the delivery was made and the carriage left, the duo were left in the Bloodbog. At first, it looked as if the bog was practically a ghost town, yet upon closer inspection... the environment said a different story. Smoke could be seen coming from yurts and larger buildings. Not only from that but the few people who were outside were covered almost head to toe in cloth. Gloves, boots, masks, and goggles, only a small amount of skin was exposed, if any at all.

"Hey, question..." Elliott asked, tapping on Peter's shoulder. "Why are they wearing so much? It isn't that cold yet..."

"Oh..." Peter paused for a moment. "Much of the residents of Bloodbog are sensitive to sunlight, some form of Solar urticaria. Not all of them mind you, but much of them will break out in hives in contact with direct sunlight, so it's best to minimize exposure."

The duo traveled through the small town and reached the southern border. At that border, was a bridge over the bog where the settlement was built, leading to the biggest settlement in Tullwend... the Hedge.

"We can go on foot from here, most of the threats in this area were eliminated long ago, so we don't have to worry about mosquitoes or the stray Orb-weavers. Just stick with me, okay? The Hedge is one massive settlement after all..."

"Okay, I will."

It wasn't long before they made it to the Hedge proper. Considering the city was built in and around a large well, hedge, the city had to be lit up to an extent. Sap torches lit up the main path, which led into the central area of the city. It was... astounding, a testament to the ingenuity of those trapped in Tullwend. Streetlights used the same chemicals that made fireflies glow, and buildings made of what looked like concrete with rooves made of burs.

The streets were bustling with activity, and the population looked to be extremely diverse. Some folks seemed to have literal moth wings, along with large compound eyes similar to those from Anthill, while others looked to have feathers all over their arms and legs, though their faces seemed to be trimmed of said feathers.

Yet those who stood out the most were those who lived in the city since its earliest days. They stood tall above the commoners, as they were almost three heads taller than your average man and woman. Not only that, but they looked to have eight eyes and what looked like chitinous coming out of their hands. They somewhat reminded Elliott of the Na'vi from Avatar, if the blue cat people had their design based on spiders... and weren't blue.

"We shouldn't be too far now..." Peter determined.

The further through the Hedge duo went, the more fancy and intricate the houses became, seemingly because the middle and upper-class districts lived closer to the center.

And in the center... there it stood, a testament to man's survival in Tullwend. A testament that showed that those cast into this place where humans didn't belong would survive if not thrive... the castle of the Broodqueen. It was needless to say, possibly the biggest man-made structure in Tullwend, discounting the labs of the one who came before.

"Here we are, Castle Hedge... where Tullwend's future is decided." When the guards at the gate let them pass, Elliott learned that the castle was... luxuriously decorated no less. The courtyard had guards at all entrances and a strange statue of a raisin-like man shaped like the thinker. Who was this man? What made him important enough to have a statue made of him?

Chandeliers with jewels made of candy left by those who once owned Tullwend hung from the ceiling, and intricate carvings were strewn all around the castle as if those who made the grand buildings in Rome came to the present.

Some of those who kept the castle clean or just worked there were gawking at the crystalline deformity, however, which even after everything that happened since Elliott had arrived, wasn't even scratched. It remained completely flawless and would continue to reflect light shined upon it. Elliott stayed close to Peter, not wanting to be confronted about the growth... who seemed to notice his timidity.

"Would you like to... hang onto me for support? I know most places in the Hedge can get very crowded, so..."

"Sure... I'd like that..." Elliott grabbed Peter's hand and began to worry about something else. What if people misinterpreted what he and Peter were doing? They weren't in a relationship and frankly, he didn't know what he was into. At least Peter could back him up if someone thought he was lying.

Peter led Elliott all the way to the interior of the castle, then through its spacious hallways until finally... to an enormous room with two circles of seats.

The centa table turned out to be smaller than the collection of tables circling around it, containing only five seats, three were already occupied. One of said seats was taken by a tall girl with a spiked crown of whites and blacks. Her frizzy hair was long, about to her elbows. Based on her outfit as well as general demeanor, Elliott realized this must have been the Broodqueen he heard so much about.

The group then seemed to notice the duo, and said Broodqueen stood up. "Ah, Peter! Glad to see you've finally arrived. And is this the one you've told me about?" The Broodqueen asked. Like many of her subjects, she was overwhelmingly tall, yet there was something different about her. She appeared to be much more used to her condition, as the way she walked appeared to be much less... ungainly.

"Yes, this is Elliott." Peter said, placing a hand on Elliott's shoulder.

The Broodqueen then walked over to Elliott. "I've heard of your feats Elliott, we are forever in your debt. Thank you for risking your health and safety for the benefit of our people." Saying this, she bowed her head, which was an honor for Elliott in and of itself considering this was the BROODQUEEN.

"Thank you... your Majesty, but... my benefit and health? Are you talking about that spider I killed?"

"Duh! Of course!" A girl, sitting next to who must have represented the Anthill: Hoops of the Fungalstompers, spoke up. "It takes real moxy to handle an INFECTED wolf spider!" Everyone else in the room muttered to themselves and nodded in agreement.

""I barely even remember what happened... Peter said i was glowing pitch white, and all my clothes were-"

"Yes yes hooray for the guy that killed the spider, my people are growing restless!" The Anthill representative said, sounding annoyed.

"Yes Anthony, we understand that, can we not welcome Elliott though? He might grow to be important..." The Broodqueen said.

"Yes Broodqueen Branch, but have you heard what some of my people have been calling for??"

"Yes, I've heard. We'll figure out what to do with those refugees, alright? That's why we're all here..." She then turned to Elliott. "Would you like to participate in the meeting? You don't have to, but... Ally would like to talk to you afterwards."

"I'm not sure... and Ally? Who's that?"

"That's... just what I prefer to call Hoops."

"I'm... not sure your majesty. Can I just... sit this by?"

"Of course, lemme just..." she grabbed a chair from a nearby stack, and placed it next to a table. "There you go.

"Thank you..."

Elliott sat at the nearby table as the meeting began, and began to twiddle his thumbs. This... was gonna be awhile.

Chapters end.

Lessons and fungus

Diamondseed345

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/him
"I barely even remember what happened... Peter said I was glowing pitch white, and all my clothes were"

"Yes yes hooray for the guy that killed the spider, my people are growing restless!" The Anthill representative said, sounding annoyed.

"Yes Anthony, we understand that, can we not welcome Elliott though? He might grow to be important..." The Broodqueen said.

"Yes Broodqueen Branch, but have you heard what some of my people have been calling for??"

"Yes, I've heard. We'll figure out what to do with those refugees, alright? That's why we're all here..." She then turned to Elliott. "Would you like to participate in the meeting? You don't have to, but... Ally would like to talk to you afterward."

"I'm not sure... and Ally? Who's that?"

"That's... just what I prefer to call Hoops."

"I'm... not sure Your Majesty. Can I just... sit this by?"

"Of course, lemme just..." she grabbed a chair from a nearby stack and placed it next to a table. "There you go.

"Thank you..."

Elliott sat at the nearby table as the meeting began, and began to twiddle his thumbs. This... was gonna be awhile.

As the meeting went on, Elliott contemplated on what had caused all of this discord. A... fungus. A fungus had caused all of this death and discord. The question was, where did it all come from? Everything had a source after all, mankind from Africa, Tomatoes from South America, this fungus couldn't be any different.

Perhaps someone in this room knew where this Cordyceps knockoff came from? Might be best to ask around after the meeting if that's the case. Speaking of said meeting, the debate seemed to spark infighting almost as fierce as that on the battlefield.

Everyone wanted something different for the refugees, most radically different from the others. Peter rathered there be a reconstruction project of Weevilville, one with more defenses so infected couldn't just waltz into the town. The Anthill Mayor Anthony however, didn't seem to care what happened to the refugees. All he wanted was for them to get out of his town, mostly for their sake.

His people were growing restless, they feared what the refugees would do. They felt their careers or their safety could be at risk, from either crimes committed by the newcomers or their jobs being taken. Others feared more indirect threats, such as a rise of extremism that could impact the whole settlement.

Anthony in no way felt any bad blood for the refugees, but the people he ruled were his top priority. If violence could be prevented, then BY GOD he would do so.

The Broodqueen however, had an interesting suggestion. "Peter's suggestion feels like it would be our best option, yet I'd like to add my addition. Building a settlement is an expensive endeavor, not like the early days when there were only about a dozen people. Food, clean water, possibly even electricity-"

"Get to the point Broodqueen," Anthony said, tapping his fingers on the table. "We all have things to do and people to manage, what're you trying to say?"

Broodqueen Branch sighed. "To make a long story short, I believe that all of the official settlements should pitch in for the reconstruction of Weevilville. Woodcross, Bicycle, the Wizard's lair, all of them. People wouldn't have to worry about their jobs being taken or fear violence caused by refugees, all that would be needed is donations to provide relief. All that would be required are donations from the people and raw materials."

The other representatives pondered on this suggestion, and dove into a heated debate for what felt like hours.

Said hours felt like a blur to Elliott as the sun set below the fence that surrounded Tullwend, and the castle was now lit by a mix of electric lights and torches. The debate showed no sign of stopping, as the debate itself seemed to be keeping those within it awake.

Maybe it was because they had something to focus their minds on. That's what it seemed like, as even Peter was able to go on without issue, and this is the boy who lived off of coffee made from bug parts.

Elliott however, was not so lucky. He was never really a night owl, he'd need a large amount of caffeine if he was going to stay up late. Say during a session of Hollow Knight, there was a large possibility that he'd fall asleep with his head on the keyboard listening to the in-game music.

He missed those nights, watching what looked like snowfall in the Kingdom's edge area, the royal harps of the White Lady's chamber... it felt so long ago now.

Those memories of nostalgia dwelled in Elliott's mind as he slipped away from the waking world, and the sounds of the sea began to serenade around him. He opened his eyes to see that once again, he was in the radiant abyss. The question was, where were those eyes?

He twirled around in the water, and it appeared as if he was the only one there. Nothing in the abyss below, or above him. Or at least until...

"Oh, Starlight. What a small and pathetic creature you are." A familiar voice commented casually.

The voice.

That voice.

Elliott twirled back around, to see the eyes staring at him with a judgemental look. They stared at him with a mixture of interest and disgust. "We have a lot of work to do, you and I."

"Work? What work?? What do you even want from me, you're not even real!"

"I want you to LEARN." The eyes stated, leering at Elliott. "If you learn, you can become perfect like me. BRILLIANT like me. I am merely what you have yet to achieve Starlight, and my oh my there is so much you have yet to achieve."

"What do you..." Elliott's eyes then widened in realization. "Is that what that weird summoning lesson was about?"

"You're a fast learner!" The eyes said with a slightly more positive tone. "Let's hope it will be the same with your lessons." Elliott's vision flashed to white once again, but in a moments notice the environment turned dark.

Elliott was on some kind of stone path, which was the same dark grey color as the surrounding environment. Wind howled in his ears though oddly, Elliott couldn't feel it blowing in his face. Why was that?
In the sky lied no stars nor clouds, yet there were the eyes in place of the sun.

Their luminescence went unnoticed in the radiant abyss, yet now they were a literal shining light in the dark. Like a full moon in a clear sky, their light faintly illuminated the environment.

"Now, we shall continue your lesson in an environment with less distractions. You-"

"Are you just gonna explain that complicated stuff from last time?" Elliott asked the eyes.

"To an extent, yes. But I will attempt to explain in a way your feeble little mind will be able to understand. For some, the complex formation of wind is something they can focus on in order to summon a weapon. For others such as a soldier however, they will find it practically effortless. For you and me to summon one however, it is a slightly different process."

"Wha-" Elliott's train of thought was cut short.

"We must focus on the light in our surroundings, concentrate on the photons gathering in the palm of your hand. Then, imagine a weapon in said hand. Any weapon, the thought of the concept of weaponry will allow you to bring it into existence."

"It won't come to existence just from thinking about it right? And this place is dark as all Hell, and I don't think the light you're giving off would be enough."

"Starlight, any amount of light will do. You only need to concentrate."

"Alright then, if you say so..."

Elliott closed his eyes, and held a hand out. After about thirty seconds, a small globe of pale light manifested itself in his palm, sputtering to life.

"Wait... what? Holy shi-" The light then sputtered out of existence, leaving Elliott in the dark once again.

"Goddammit!"

"Focus child. Any amount of light will do."

"Yeah, you said that earlier..."

He held his hand out again, and more pale light materialized in his hand. This time however, Elliott kept his focus, and soon... felt an object within his grip. "...huh?"

Elliott opened his eyes, to see what looked like a... staff in his hands. A bo-staff specifically, as it was about the same size as its wielder. It was a pale white color similar to the eyes above, and for some strange reason it was warm to the touch. Not only that, but at its top was shaped similarly to a stylized star, with its edges pointing at 3 of the cardinal directions.

Strangely though, the strange rhombus symbol from the dojo was embedded in the center of the star. Why was that? And why was the symbol so familiar?

"Excellent Starlight! Yet your lesson isn't over yet. This next part will be easy, but in no way will it be quick."

"What do you mea-" Elliott was interrupted by multiple flashes of red light around him. When the light faded, there stood multiple featureless crimson figures, about two thirds of his height, with a variety of weapons in their hands. One had a chisel knife, one a hammer, and the last had a single hand Warhammer.

The voice then gave one simple command.
"Bring them down."

Ell followed said command and without thought, entered combat with the crimson figures. Everything that happened afterwards seemed to come to Elliott naturally, as the maneuvers he used looked as if he had been practicing for years on end. Deflecting hits, sweeping the figures off their feet, and striking them straight on the head.

In the end none of the figures dropped dead, but dissipated into a cloud of red mist upon defeat, as if they poofed out of existence. Elliott was the only one that remained.

"Wow... that was exhilarating! How'd I do?"

"Hmm..." The eyes went silent for a moment, deep in thought. "Good, but you could do better. You're not as pathetic as I thought you were at least."

"What? How am I pathetic? Can you at least explain?" After Elliott finished his sentence, he could hear a faint voice that was only getting louder.

"Well first of all, you-" the eyes were cut off as the voice became deafening and could actually be understood. Someone was calling Elliott's name, and that someone was...

"Elliott!!" His eye's shot open, to find Peter shaking him by the shoulders. "Are you alright?? You were really out of it!"

Elliott looked to be in a daze, looking around the room at anything other than Peter for a moment. "Huh?"

"C'mon man, snap out of it!" He shook Elliott's shoulders again, and he seemed to snap back to reality. "Peter?"

"Yeah, sorry for waking you up... the meeting is over. Broodqueen Branch is paying for our trips home. Do you... need any help getting up?"

"N-no... I'm good. Thank you though..." Elliott got up from his chair, staggering for a moment. Suddenly though he had an idea which he thought might not work, but from what the eyes said, he figured it would be worth giving it a try.

He walked under a nearby chandelier, and held his hand out with closed eyes. Once again, pale light gathered in his palm and almost instantly... the star staff formed from the light.

Elliott merely stared at it with wide eyes for a moment, unable to comprehend the fact that this wasn't just something from a dream... this was real.

"H-holy shit!!" Peter yelled, as shocked as Elliott. "Did you just summon that out of thin air??" Peter's eyes looked to have lit up for the first time since Elliott met him.

"I... guess so? I kinda first started doing this in my dreams. I guess I'm-"

"Like the wizards in Yoked Girth! Hell, you're basically a magical girl from those anime in the 90s!"

"Huh..."

"Did you always know you could do this??"

"...No? I just learned I could do this frankly..."

"Who knows what else you're capable of? Frankly I thought this was impossible, I mean, summoning a staff out of thin air??"

"I think it was made of light..."

"Even more interesting! Who knows how you're capable? This discovery might change the world!!" Their was a glimmer of scientific interest in his eyes that Elliott was somewhat familiar with.

Deep down both of them knew, this likely wasn't the end of the whole wizard power thing. This was merely the beginning.

Chapters end.

Last edited:
Fungal busters

Diamondseed345

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/him
"N-no... I'm good. Thank you though..." Elliott got up from his chair, staggering for a moment. Suddenly though he had an idea that he thought might not work, but from what the eyes said, he figured it would be worth giving it a try.

He walked under a nearby chandelier and held his hand out with closed eyes. Once again, pale light gathered in his palm, and almost instantly... the star staff formed from the light.

Elliott merely stared at it with wide eyes for a moment, unable to comprehend the fact that this wasn't just something from a dream... this was real.

"H-holy shit!!" Peter yelled, as shocked as Elliott. "Did you just summon that out of thin air??" Peter's eyes looked to have lit up for the first time since Elliott met him.

"I... guess so? I kinda first started doing this in my dreams. I guess I'm-"

"Like the wizards in Yoked Girth! Hell, you're a magical girl from those anime in the 90s!"

"Huh..."

"Did you always know you could do this??"

"...No? I just learned I could do this frankly..."

"Who knows what else you're capable of? Frankly, I thought this was impossible, I mean, summoning a staff out of thin air??"

"I think it was made of light..."

"Even more interesting! Who knows how you're capable? This discovery might change the world!!" There was a glimmer of scientific interest in his eyes that Elliott was somewhat familiar with.

Deep down both of them knew, this likely wasn't the end of the whole wizard power thing. This was merely the beginning.

They were pondering the possibilities of Elliott's gift when the leader of the Fungalstompers approached the duo with some of her soldiers.

"Hey, Eli right?" She asked, coming to a stop.

"It's Elliott... what do you need?"

"Well, I came to offer you a proposition. But first, what's with that stuff?"

"Oh, I kinda... formed it out of surrounding light."

"Wait, you can manipulate light?? How'd you do that!?"

"I'm... not sure? I kinda learned I can do this in my dreams..."

"Wow, that's incredible! Can you summon anything else?"

"Maybe? Frankly, I have no idea. I just learned I'm capable of doing this..."

"Huh, maybe you can learn how to create other objects out of light? Imagine the possibilities! Weapons, tools, maybe even storage devices!"

Those sentences set off a lightbulb in Elliott's mind. If he could make a staff out of light, could he perhaps make something else? A shield? A can opener? Maybe even clothing? The possibilities seemed limitless, he likely only needed to practice. The question was, why didn't the eyes bring that up?

"But never mind the light thing, back to my proposition. You're the only person known to have killed an infected wolf spider single-handedly. You know how many people are needed to take down a single infected wolf?"

"...No?"

"You need a whole squad of people or more to take one of those things out! You did it with your bare freaking hands! That's why I'm asking you to join us in the Fungalstompers, with people like you at our side, people won't have to fear a fungus-caked spider ravaging their lands again!" Hoops said excitedly.

Elliott went silent, giving the proposition some good thought. Sure he had killed the spider, but it had drained almost all of his energy. Would it matter if he was able to... glow white again or whatever he did? If the Fungalstompers dealt with such dangerous creatures, surely he'd get training of some kind.

If he were to refuse her proposition, surely he'd be seen as selfish. If he had the power to help the people, what did he have to lose? His home? His family?

Who he considered family abandoned him in this God-forsaken place, he didn't have anything left. He had nothing to lose, it would be best to accept the proposition.

"So? What'd ya say?" Hoops asked, bringing out a hand.

Elliott hesitated for a split second, then... took her hand. "Sure, why not Ms..." Elliott never caught her name.

"Ally Nguyen. But you can call me Hoops, my friends used to call me that." She then looked over to Peter. "Speaking of which, you look healthier than usual Pete! Your assistants make you eat actual food?"

Peter turned a shade of red and looked away, and Hoops turned to Elliott. "You started living at the Pond Lab a few weeks ago, right?"

Elliott crossed his arms. "Look, he doesn't want to talk about it, that much is clear. I don't like to intrude on people's privacy, so I'm not just gonna spill the beans. Okay?"

Hoops sighed. "Alright... fine. But tell me this at least, when will you be able to our headquarters to begin?"

"You didn't even say where I'm to be headed."

"Oh! Sorry about that. You've seen that platform and building that wraps around the oak tree in the center of Tullwend?" Hoops asked.

"Yeah, I think so. Peter's pointed it out a couple of times..."

"That's the main base of operations, and where I reside when I'm not dealing with fungal outbreaks. Can we expect to see you there soon?"

"Um..." Elliott turned to Peter for a moment. "Can I see to it that he makes it home safely?"

"I don't see why you couldn't! Maybe be here before morning?"

"I'll see what I can do..."

"Alright then! See you later you two!"

It wasn't long until the duo got back onto a carriage, and THANKFULLY a reckless driver like the last one. Peter was silent for a long while, twiddling with his thumbs, until... he leaned on Elliott's shoulder unexpectedly.

"Thank you... Ellie, for advocating for me and my privacy..."

Elliott almost gasped, he never expected Peter to say such a thing.

"You're... thanking me? It just feels like common sense, to not give away someone's private business. Why're you thanking me?"

"Everyone's always been concerned for my well-being, yet... they've always poked their noses in places they shouldn't, or bring up... uncomfortable subjects. You though, you've never poked your nose at these subjects and... helped me with some of them. If you weren't here... I don't know where I'd be now..."

"Oh, I... don't know what to say to that..."

"You don't have to say anything, I-"

The coachman interrupted Peter, snapping his fingers to get the duo's attention.

"Hey sorry to interrupt your party, but we've made it to the Pond lab. You both gonna get off?"

"Oh, he was just seeing to it that I get home. You mind taking him to the Fungalstomper Barracks?"

"Um... sure! I don't see why I couldn't. Broodqueen paid me a pretty penny anyways, so no need for extra pay."

"Well, that's... incredibly convenient!"

Elliott brought Peter back into the lab, and the trip afterward didn't exactly take very long. The Barracks could be seen from the lab, and they looked even more magnificent at the base of the tree.

Weed stem Platforms wrapped around the trunk from the bottom, like Chicken of the Wood mushrooms. Not only that but buildings large and small were scattered on said platforms, which looked to serve all sorts of purposes. For example, some had multiple flues on the walls and ceiling, emitting thick clouds of smoke. Other buildings on the outskirts of the platform looked to have large amounts of ziplines going all over Tullwend.

Overall, the place looked like it could rival the Hedge if given the time to grow and evolve.

Yet there was no mistaking this place for an ordinary settlement, this was a fortress, no. It was a citadel. A stronghold built to fend off the many dangers in this world where man did not belong.

Spikes on the bark below the platforms, ballistas, bottle rockets made of salvaged gunpowder, even a scrap metal cannon or two. One thing was clear, and this place was armed to the teeth.

"Alright, here we are, the stronghold of the Fungalstompers. I've gotta say, the fact that they built all this in about a year is insane. Hope you find what you're looking for buddy, this is as far as I'll go." The coachman said, bringing the carriage to a stop.

"I kinda know what to do, don't worry..."

Elliott approached the main... staircase, to find two heavily armored SOLDIERS guarding it.

"State your purpose here wanderer, civilians aren't allowed in the compound."

"I... was given a proposition to join the Fungalstompers, your leader is expecting me to be here before sunrise."

Their armor looked nothing like any Elliott had seen before. Usually, the guards and those who enforced the law in settlements wore armor that didn't cover the entire body. Like a chest plate made of koi fish scales for example. It mainly covered the well, chest, as well as shoulders. Areas such as the joints were completely exposed, however, the only thing covering the skin was the very clothing on their backs.

"Is that so? When did she give you the proposition?"

The Fungalstompers however, left no area of the body exposed minus the head, for it was a one-piece bodysuit with chitinous plates mended onto said suit.

"Only a few hours ago, at the meeting at the Hedge on what to do with the Weevilville refugees. She-"

"Oh really now? Let's see what the general herself has to say." The soldier sounded over the conversation and grabbed Elliott's arm.

"Hey, lemme go!!" Elliott yelled, trying to break free.

"The hell are you doing dude?? He didn't-"

"AHEM!" A familiar voice said, footsteps following afterward.

"What're you doing with our new compatriot?" Elliott and the soldiers looked up the stairway, to find Hoops herself coming down. She did not look amused in any way.

"General!" The soldiers yelled, one letting go of Elliott and performing a salute.

"He said he was given a proposition to join us! He said you-"

"I was the one to give him the proposition!" Hoops yelled, walking up to the soldier who grabbed Elliott. "You could have at least escorted him to my office WITHOUT grabbing him by the wrist like that! We DON'T grab civilians! Need I repeat myself, soldier?"

"No sir... no need."

Hoops then turned to Elliott.

"Good to see you, Ellie! I apologize for the trouble my soldiers gave you, we can't have people wandering into our headquarters. Especially that salesman with the bad facial hair... acted like the world revolved around him. Even then, we DON'T just grab people!" Hoops sneered, leering at the soldier who committed the deed.

"Either way... it would be better for you to rest now, we've all had a long day. I'll bring you to the Barracks..."

"That's where everyone sleeps right?"

"Most of us... yeah."

Elliott followed Hoops into the tree fortress and found even at night, it still seemed to be bustling with activity. The sounds of forging metal and blacksmithing became louder, yet there was a unique scent among the odors of hot steel and soot. The smell of... cinnamon? It smelled burnt somewhat and made his nostrils sting. What were they doing with cinnamon? How did the Fungalstompers get their hands on the stuff when everyone in Tullwend was the size of insects?

Those questions ran through Elliott's mind as he was brought to one of the barracks. It seemed mostly empty, with most of the soldiers who stayed in this section specifically seeming to be out on some kind of operation. How common was this?

"Alright, the beds in the upper right corner aren't taken. Just... go ahead and choose one and fall into it." Hoops said, leading Elliott to said corner.

"Thank you... General. I-"

"Oh by the way." Hoops interrupted. "There's supposed to be a training session in the morning. Can I expect to see you there?"

"Um... sure." Elliott sat down, and Hoops left the room moments later.

Elliott wouldn't go to bed... yet, however, as there was something on his mind ever since the meeting at the Hedge. Hoops had mentioned the possibility of making objects other than his staff out of light. Was it truly possible to do so? The eyes never mentioned such a thing, but it wouldn't kill him to try... right?

He looked to a nearby window where the full moon was shining through, held his hand out, and closed his eyes. He cleared his mind and focused on the image of a weapon, a bow specifically, and concentrated. He only needed to wait a moment as it took longer to form than the staff, yet there it was... a bow made of crystallized moonlight.

It glowed like the early winter moon above, and if it were to be seen in the morning sun, Elliott would have realized it was a light periwinkle color. "My god... I did it!!" Elliott was awestruck at his accomplishment, a whole new object made of light! He had to try more, he had to make more. His curiosity would force him to do it otherwise, he had to know more.

Over the next twenty minutes, he formed multiple different objects. A wrench, a knife, even a crossbow crystalline in appearance. Yet none of them felt... exactly right in his hands. Only the staff felt right so to say, more natural... as if it was meant specifically for him. Could that have been the reality?

It felt like there was... perhaps more to it than Elliott thought, but couldn't know for sure. The eyes weren't here, and couldn't guide him on what to do. Perhaps he'd see them again in his dreams Tonight? That was a possibility, but then again... he couldn't know for sure.

Chapters end.

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
Review chapter 1
Blitz event

Figure I'd try a non-mon piece this time.

And so we start our avenue dwelling on the war like nature of humanity? I doubt this will be a slice of life piece.

And we go from abstract to a pitched battle. With ghosts from the sky and spirit allies? Reminds me of some of the old tribal mythologies i read way back when... Wish we could see what spirits looked like... And the tale of missing bodies makes me wonder if the sky creatures aren't snacking on the fallen.

Looks like the sky monsters decided not worth the trouble. Hopefully this doesnt turn into "we'll be back with nukes".

Apathy is a stone faced poker player it seems. That probably makes her ambitions quite dangerous since shes going to give no clues. Stoicism too. Only mornful might be the weak link in giving up intent... Still when one thinks of evil/ploting spirit these arent the traits you usually look at.

And they're back...
Hundreds, if not thousands of flying boats ascended through and out of the atmosphere of the planet, fleeing for their safety due to what was about to occur.
So two questions... Are the flying boats trying to get away from.something worse? It sounds like theyre booking it to greener planets/pastures.

Whoever would be left behind would be completely obliterated, but their sacrifices would not be in vain.

Snorts. That lines is a thin comfort to those left behind. Just saying.

These spirits who are making a triad of sorts are up to something. If theyre outshining the sun i pity any looking up. And whatever thier intent i think turning spirits to underworld demons probably wasn't in the cards... Also were they spared it too?

Yeah if the world and environment is warping i think they missed. So are the people gawking at the changed world seeing futures or other whens and wheres?

Wait he woke up with one of the three spirits gems in his head? Ouch because skull surgery even a magical one is, shudders. On the other hand if the gem had gotten stuck in the frame... Wince but i kinda snickered...

Hold on deformaility... I missed that... My condolences towards the mother and the bed frame both then.

And to his sleep schedule for beating the alarm clock by just enough not to ne worth it to go back to bed.

Weird that he has his clothes picked for him...without age being cleared up all i can say is it feels odd.

And hes getting stalked by gjost woman too? Yeah something definitly is afoot.
This pov character and bella from twilight could compare sparkly stalker notes i guess? Wondering if moms got this kid on meds since halucination isnt something lightly bandied around.

And we got a name for our p.o.v. elliot, guessing the womans mom of the year here. And inititive for what? No hints yet but we'll see i guess.

The moms lusamine? But this isnt a mon fic? Right? I guess its a pretty name and I can roll with it but if i see space jellyfish and distortion anything i'm calling fowl.

Oh boy kiddos subject x off of the industrial line for a named project. It is time to kip out the nearest window... But i suspect he doesnt know that yet if hes siper sheltered amd controlled.

Lum: did you hear anything about body bags, cyinide, or disposal?

Elliot: ah... Kinda but that means your firing someone right?ll

Lum: yes exactly

Elliot be glad you dont have to do your secret ending run in radient mode where a tap offs you. Because that is frusterating as heck.

Which form.of Grims putting him on the ropes? Nightmare kings a mirgane so kudos if he got that far.

Amazing how hollow turns to being dragged off into the labs. Lums apathy makes me think of the spirit from the begining but maybe i'm reading too much into things. I suppose other chapters will tell.

Diamondseed345

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/him
Review chapter 1
Blitz event

Figure I'd try a non-mon piece this time.

And so we start our avenue dwelling on the war like nature of humanity? I doubt this will be a slice of life piece.

And we go from abstract to a pitched battle. With ghosts from the sky and spirit allies? Reminds me of some of the old tribal mythologies i read way back when... Wish we could see what spirits looked like... And the tale of missing bodies makes me wonder if the sky creatures aren't snacking on the fallen.

Looks like the sky monsters decided not worth the trouble. Hopefully this doesnt turn into "we'll be back with nukes".

Apathy is a stone faced poker player it seems. That probably makes her ambitions quite dangerous since shes going to give no clues. Stoicism too. Only mornful might be the weak link in giving up intent... Still when one thinks of evil/ploting spirit these arent the traits you usually look at.

And they're back...

So two questions... Are the flying boats trying to get away from.something worse? It sounds like theyre booking it to greener planets/pastures.

Snorts. That lines is a thin comfort to those left behind. Just saying.

These spirits who are making a triad of sorts are up to something. If theyre outshining the sun i pity any looking up. And whatever thier intent i think turning spirits to underworld demons probably wasn't in the cards... Also were they spared it too?

Yeah if the world and environment is warping i think they missed. So are the people gawking at the changed world seeing futures or other whens and wheres?

Wait he woke up with one of the three spirits gems in his head? Ouch because skull surgery even a magical one is, shudders. On the other hand if the gem had gotten stuck in the frame... Wince but i kinda snickered...

Hold on deformaility... I missed that... My condolences towards the mother and the bed frame both then.

And to his sleep schedule for beating the alarm clock by just enough not to ne worth it to go back to bed.

Weird that he has his clothes picked for him...without age being cleared up all i can say is it feels odd.

And hes getting stalked by gjost woman too? Yeah something definitly is afoot.
This pov character and bella from twilight could compare sparkly stalker notes i guess? Wondering if moms got this kid on meds since halucination isnt something lightly bandied around.

And we got a name for our p.o.v. elliot, guessing the womans mom of the year here. And inititive for what? No hints yet but we'll see i guess.

The moms lusamine? But this isnt a mon fic? Right? I guess its a pretty name and I can roll with it but if i see space jellyfish and distortion anything i'm calling fowl.

Oh boy kiddos subject x off of the industrial line for a named project. It is time to kip out the nearest window... But i suspect he doesnt know that yet if hes siper sheltered amd controlled.

Lum: did you hear anything about body bags, cyinide, or disposal?

Elliot: ah... Kinda but that means your firing someone right?ll

Lum: yes exactly

Elliot be glad you dont have to do your secret ending run in radient mode where a tap offs you. Because that is frusterating as heck.

Which form.of Grims putting him on the ropes? Nightmare kings a mirgane so kudos if he got that far.

Amazing how hollow turns to being dragged off into the labs. Lums apathy makes me think of the spirit from the begining but maybe i'm reading too much into things. I suppose other chapters will tell.
Omg I didn't expect anyone to realize comment on this. What's the blitz event again?

Reactions: K_S
Truths and training

Diamondseed345

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/him
He looked to a nearby window where the full moon was shining through, held his hand out, and closed his eyes. He cleared his mind and focused on the image of a weapon, a bow specifically, and concentrated. He only needed to wait a moment as it took longer to form than the staff, yet there it was... a bow made of crystallized moonlight.

It glowed like the early winter moon above, and if it were to be seen in the morning sun, Elliott would have realized it was a light periwinkle color. "My god... I did it!!" Elliott was awestruck at his accomplishment, a whole new object made of light! He had to try more, he had to make more. His curiosity would force him to do it otherwise, he had to know more.

Over the next twenty minutes, he formed multiple different objects. A wrench, a knife, even a crossbow crystalline in appearance. Yet none of them felt... exactly right in his hands. Only the staff felt right so to say, more natural... as if it was meant specifically for him. Could that have been the reality?

It felt like there was... perhaps more to it than Elliott thought, but couldn't know for sure. The eyes weren't here, and couldn't guide him on what to do. Perhaps he'd see them again in his dreams Tonight? That was a possibility, but then again... he couldn't know for sure.

That night, he didn't see the eyes again, although his sleep was in no way dreamers.

The environment around him looked somewhat similar to that of the Pond Lab, yet it looked... different in a way. There wasn't any damage caused by the wolf spider, nor algae growing on the walls.
It was orderly, clean... sterile, even.

Elliott then remembered why this place was so familiar. It wasn't because it looked like the Pond lab, he had BEEN in this place before. Ominent Practical Technologies, or at least a part of it he didn't remember. Yet he could have sworn he had been here before, it was just... whenever he tried to remember why, there was a fog in his mind covering the path to the reason why.

There was a small amount of people in the room with him, yet there was some he could recognize. He was holding the hand of his so-called "mother" who had led him into the room. Not only that, but among the group of scientists prepping equipment in the room for... something, stood a younger-looking Dalton Schmector. He looked to have salt and pepper hair and was still wearing that red sweater. If he looked younger and still had that sweater, how long ago was this?

"I've brought the subject Dalton," Lusamine said nonchalantly. "Is the chamber ready for him?"

"Of course it is!" The Director yelled, clearly impatient. "What took you two so long anyway?? You only live like three blocks away from HQ!"

"Well, I'm sorry Dalton! The kid was terrified of leaving home after the incident I told you about! Can we just get this over with??"

The Director groaned. "Ugh... yes, I suppose we can. But he needs to stay in the labs for the next few hours, or at least until I say so!"

"Alright, that works for me... just give us a moment." Lusamine and Elliott stepped aside, and she kneeled at his level.

"Mother needs you to be very brave, alright Leo? I know you're anxious from what happened on Sunday, but can I promise you something?"

"What'd you wanna promise mama?" Elliott said. Well... he didn't exactly say it, the supposedly younger version of himself whose eyes he was watching out of said it.

"After this test... why don't I take you to Dairy Queen? If you're brave that is."

"Oh boy are you serious?? Yeah, I can do that!! I can be brave!" The young Elliott yelled, jumping in place slightly.

"Good boy... now go with Mr. Sheldon over there. He'll take you into the chamber for the test."

Sheldon was standing by the Director, discussing the upcoming test. Something about... loud sounds? Elliott didn't understand then, and not being able to understand then made it sound like gibberish. Lusamine called for Sheldon and told him what to do, and he took the young Elliott's hand.

"Follow me, alright little buddy?"

"Okay!"

It only took a moment or two to lead the boy into the next room, and it looked... odd. It was painted a beige color, and had no machinery within unlike the previous room, except for the corners. Large beige speakers were attached to the corners of the wall close to the ceiling, and Elliott was staring at them curiously.

The screeching sound of megaphone feedback could be heard, and then... it began.

Yelling, screaming, incoherent shouting. The size of the room made it all echo and bounce back into Elliott's ears, causing him to cover his ears and drop to his knees. His ears began to ring loudly, and the boy's crying was added to the amalgamation of screams and yells.

He could hear words in the cacophony, words from THAT day. Screams about Demons, telling them to "begone." The same words that were screamed in his face during the "incident."

Elliott wished it would stop... yet it continued until... time looked to come to a standstill. His body felt like it was turning to ice, and said feeling evolved into numbness. Nothing felt right, fear, confusion, numbness, it felt wrong!

He wanted it all to stop so badly, he wanted his mother, he wanted this torture to end!

Stop.

Stop stop stop stop stop STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP S̶̥̜̭̏͝T̴̬͉̼̯̟̜͛͌͝Ò̷͚̦̯̦̒͛͛̄͠P̵̧̟͉͚̌̈́̆͆̇ ̴̼̱͉̥̟̮͋̇̄̿̂̚Ś̵̡̢͙̠̯͗̈͝Ţ̷͓̝͚͖̤̌̌͐̈́̌O̸̩͔̳̝̝̼͋͛̑͐̄P̷̧̔͗͐̅̇ ̷̢̙̱̻̺͉̔̅͆̒̎S̴̫̯͗̓̽̎T̴͈̗̈̊̄̏̆̃͜ͅO̴̪͚̝̜̜̪̒̇͌̓̓̚P̸̫̦̱͈̆ ̶̪̻́S̷͈͓͖̒̓͝Ţ̸̠̺͘Ǫ̵̝͈̊̐͌̾͘P̸̡̡̫̟͔͈̔̎̈́̔̽̍ ̶̢̦̬̫̊͒̍Ș̴̕T̷̘̥͆O̷̡̰̼͙̰̝͒̏̑̚P̶̗̻̤̟̖̼̈́́̎̇ ̶͔̳̠͙̀̽̒͗̈́̓

The boy's vision went white, and it felt as if the earth was shaking beneath him. The screaming stopped, but the lab's sirens began to blare, and he couldn't. Stop. Screaming.

But then, his vision went dark and his eyes shot open. He sat up almost immediately, breathing as though he just breached the surface of the nearby pond. His back felt cold and wet, as did the mattress below, he had woken up in a cold sweat. The room around him almost felt... too quiet.

What... was that? Was it some kind of nightmare? Yet it felt so vivid and familiar... could it have been a memory?

None of his nightmares nor dreams were ever that vivid, the fact that he just had to witness THAT, made him feel... wrong. The lingering emotions from the dream mixed with the ones from the memory revelation were an overwhelming wave that he was unfortunately washed beneath. He sat there shaking for who knows how long staring at the wall, and was only brought back to reality by someone snapping their fingers in front of him.

"Ellie? Earth to Elliott! Are you there??" It was Hoops...

"Oh, hey Hoops... how long were you there?"

"A few minutes, you looked like you had a thousand-yard stare. You feeling alright buddy?"

"Oh, um... yeah. Just bad dreams is all."

"Ooh yeah, we've all been there. Do you mind talking about it?"

"No..."

"No? Alright, do you mind joining the training session then? We've got a whole bunch of recruits doing target practice on one of the western platforms."

"Um... sure! I don't see why I couldn't..."

"Excellent! I'll lead you over, let's head out!"

"Alright..."

In the morning, the Citadel looked to be just about as active as the Hedge, and the blacksmith noises were as active as ever. Not only that, but the air was thick with the smell of cooking food, cinnamon, and the faint smell of salt that made it seem like the Citadel was some kind of coastal town. Maybe it just smelled like that because they might still be in Seattle.

Seattle is a port city after all, Elliott was somewhat used to the smell of the ocean since Lusamine left a window open a lot.

The place looked to be about as diverse as the Hedge as well. People from the Hedge, people from Woodstock, the Hedge itself, Anthill, Bloodbog, and even people similar to Elliott himself from the Wizard's lair. It seemed like all of Tullwend had come together to fight the threat that was the infected.

Soon enough though, Elliott was brought to what looked like a shooting range. In front of a wall covered with bolts and arrows were makeshift "mannequins" made to look like infected insects, stuck with the previously mentioned bolts/arrows as if they were pin cushions.

Along with that, what sounded like a drill sergeant on the younger side was barking out information about the infected.

"Listen, trainees! You may be able to harm the infected, but they don't care about their injuries anymore! They only care about making you into a bloody pile of minced meat! They're like zombies, so AIM. FOR. THE. HEAD!"

"Here we are... seems like the fresh recruits have taken to ranged weaponry quickly." Hoops then pointed to a weapon rack with Bows and crossbows. They didn't look like the weapons he had seen the soldiers carrying, however, as they appeared to be made of materials all over Tullwend. Sprigs of grass, chunks of bird feathers, silk rope, Elliott wondered if those weapons were even capable of harming someone.

To no one's surprise, the crossbow Elliott picked up turned out to be surprisingly light... were all the crossbows like this, or was it strictly for the convenience of training? Elliott didn't know and frankly, he didn't care, he had things to do.

He grabbed a bolt from a nearby box walked to a nearby lane, and closed his eyes. He'd need to focus as much as he could just... breeeathe in, and breeeathe out.

He took aim with steady hands, pulled the trigger, and... the bolt went straight into the wall behind the dummies.

"Damnit!!" No biggie, this is practice, not survival. He had all day to practice or... all the time in the world. He was homeschooled and had no friends in the wider world, so he never really had anything to take up his time anyway.

Just him, his thoughts, and his fellow trainees. Not like he had anything in common with them really, there wasn't much he missed from when he was normal size. Ominent had ripped them all away from their families and social lives, shrunk them to the size of ants for God knows what reason, and just dumped them in this suburban backyard.

Why did Ominent decide to dump them all down here anyway? Like if they were all test subjects, why weren't they all put in some kind of terrarium or just killed and disposed of?

Wouldn't it make more sense to keep tiny lab rats in some kind of containment area to continue testing?

Or perhaps... they were still being experimented on, some kind of social experiment on a grand scale. with how many people were down in Tullwend, and how they were allowed to make settlements and civilize the place, it made sense in a way.

Watching what teenagers and children would do in a survival situation if given the potential to thrive. It was an interesting concept in and of itself, though it was more likely that Ominent just dumped them here to get rid of their test subjects.

Questions about the reason he was here flowed through Elliott's mind as he continued to practice his archery skills. Over time, the crossbow felt more natural in his hands, similar to the staff he wielded.

He wasn't exactly a natural with a crossbow, but he could at least hit the dummies. Elliott however, doubted if he could manage to hit a moving target, no less a quickly skittering insect.

Maybe it would be better to practice with his staff? From what Elliott could remember he easily brought down the crimson figures, albeit those figures were in some kind of dream.

Yet his staff originally came from a dream, and he managed to pull that out of a dream.

He knew that he would still have to participate in the usual training sessions of the Fungalstompers, yet a part of him hoped that he would be able to train with his abilities and staff in his own time.

Perhaps he could just ask Hoops or any of the higher ups when training was over? There was only one way to find out.

Chapters end.

Diamondseed345

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/him
The blitz is a event (running now) where you review for points and turn points into prizes. The news and events part of the forum has a nice info page that should cover the fine print.
Are you gonna do the rest of the fic so far btw?

Versipellis

Diamondseed345

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/him
For Elliott, training had gone well for the most part. He wasn't exactly... gifted when it came to the ranged weaponry the Fungalstompers used often, but up close? Melee's combat turned out to be a whole different story for him. Target dummies weren't enough for him so to speak, he had eventually moved on to moving targets like just about everyone else.

Though considering the complex machinery to make a training dummy that moves back and forth wasn't available, the Fungalstompers had to make do with Robots. Ominent robots specifically, that Peter and his assistants had learned to reprogram as well as repurpose.

Combining the fact that the robots were able to wield tools and that the robots had sturdy metal frames, they proved to be the perfect sparring partner.

Add to the fact that Ominent had been sending down squads of bots for... one reason or another over the past year, so they were in plentiful supply.

Today, however... things would be different.

Elliott was sitting on a bench in the sparring area, staff in hand, when he noticed some of the janitorial crew wheeling in a bot on a large cart. Hoops was following not too far behind, so Elliott knew something was up before even getting a look at the bot.

"Alright, guys! Set this bad boy up, I'll go talk to the trainee."

Yep, something was up. Oddly though, Hoops looked... excited.

"Oh boy Eli, you're going to loooove this! I mean, I do!"

"Oh?" She had Elliott's curiosity now. "What's going on?"

"Those pond boys were scavenging in that ruined lab Tully left in that old trunk in the northeast, and they managed to scrounge up an ARC.R! Not only that, but they managed to repair it!"

"An ARC.R? What's so special about them compared to those other bots?"

"Hmm... I guess it has a Taser taped to its arm? Oh who am I kidding, just look for yourself! Fire it up, boys!"

"Alright General, just give us a moment!"

The sounds of sparks could be heard as wires were connected, and the bot came back to life as its eyes began to glow. Like most Ominent robots, it was shaped like a hockey puck with a plastic tuft of hair above its eye visor.

Unlike its siblings, it had an old coat of green paint covering its exterior, and sheets of repurposed metal scattered around it's body for what must have been repairs.

Not only that, but it looked to have some strange... cannon for an arm, and had what looked like an Ominent made battery strapped to its back. Did Peter and his assistants make that modification? It even seemed to have an old name tag strapped to it, the "supervisor."

"Alright General, lemme give it the command it needs..."

"Why? So it doesn't kill anyone or something?"

"Oh yeah... we don't want the bots going in for the kill, do we?" Hoops said, tapping her foot a bit.

It began to spark and almost fell to the ground for a moment, yet it managed to stabilize itself and keep afloat. It started to hover towards Elliott, who readied himself with his staff.

"Careful Eli! These things are smarter than the normal flavor of bot!"

Its cannon flared to life, and Blue electricity seemed to eminate around it... Elliott knew he had to be careful. He had seen what electrical burns looked like, and let's say... they weren't exactly pretty.

Things went well at first, Elliott deflected hits from the bots baton arm with his staff, as did the bot deflect his staff. Hell, it was a better challenge than the normal TAYZ.T bots that were scrounged up. It was faster, more strategic, it almost disarmed Elliott a couple times. Yet when they were essentially locked in combat, the robot began to sputter and whir, then proceeded to jab Elliott in the gut with the cannon.

"AGGH! WHAT THE-" A blast of electricity went through the cannon and into Elliott's gut, burning a hole in the clothes he had been curren wearing. Not only that, but Elliott fell to the ground twitching and spasming. Yet... at the whole burned through the clothes, blue "circuitry" could be seen spreading from the injury to the rest of Elliott's body, specifically around his crystalline deformity.

When the bot looked to be going in for the killing blow, it was suddenly brought to the ground by the blade of an axe.

"You alright Eli?? I didn't think you'd react to the electricity that badly!!" Hoops yelled, pulling the head of her axe out of what was left of the "supervisor."

Elliott meanwhile, could barely speak at all. The circuitry had been concentrating around his gem like "horn" and it felt as if his brain was turning to slop. Not only that, but he looked to be... shaking. He felt scared, terrified even, and had no idea why. Was it because he couldn't move?? It was as if some strange... primal fear was awoken within him.

He could only get out what sounded like an anxious drunken mumble before Hoops heaved him over her shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

"You're not in the condition to fight now, that's for sure... how does some rest in the infirmary sound to you?"

Elliott could barely nod as his vision slowly faded to black.

The sound of waves slowly filled his ears as the fear melted away, and he opened his eyes to a sea of stars high above. Not just the Seattle night sky however, this sky was almost completely alien.

Different constellations, different clusters of stars, even two individual moons hanging in the sky.

Elliott got up, and realized almost immediately he was in the middle of some kind of ocean, one riddled with rocks and great landmasses in the distance. Elliott was even standing on a rock as well, seemingly standing on the centermost outcropping.

Elliott was about to speak when he heard a... laugh. A laugh in a familiar voice, one mocking yet empty.

"Oh Starlight, you really should be more careful." White light could be seen emanating from behind him, and Elliott turned around to see the oh so familiar giant eyes.

"Be careful? That thing literally played dirty and jabbed me right in the stomach! How do you expect me to be careful when things like that play dirty??

"One like us must be prepared for what any opponent will throw at us. Henceforth, you must learn more of what you're capable of. Therefore, you will be able to act not only offensively, but defensively as well."

"Al...right? Is that wh-"

"If you're going to ask why you're in an oceanic environment, then yes. The environmental hazards are part of your training, obstacles that you must learn to overcome. But don't worry, you will be able to leave this environment in no time at all."

Elliott looked around for a moment, observing the wild waters around them. The waves were thrashing against the outcroppings, as if they were trying to somehow behead them. Would that he the right word for rocks? Behead?

"Where do you want me to go anyways? Like I don't see a clear goal, do you want to... swim around in that or something?" Elliott's face fell upon the revelation. Swimming in waters like that could surely severely injure kill almost any man! How was a bean pole like him supposed to get through that??

"Starlight, you need not worry! Even with that pathetic organic body of yours, one like us can traverse almost any environment. You see, those like us can change their forms on a whim if it is necessary. Usually, we never need to change from our base forms, as it is never necessary. You however, with the circumstances we find ourselves in, shape-shifting could become a necessity."

"You're saying I can... shapeshift?" Elliott said, eyes lighting up. "How do we do it?? Is it easy??"

"Calm down now child, all will be learned in time. All you need to do is listen to what I say, and you will learn everything I know."

"Alright, I'm willing to listen! What... do you want me to do? How do I shapeshift?"

"As I said, patience is key. You must concentrate on a spot on your body, and imagine it changing in a certain way. Another option, is imagining it how you wish for it to look at that point in time."

Elliott thought for a moment, he had a small idea of what to do. Something practical, specifically for-

"I know what you're thinking Starlight. You want to use your abilities to get out of this environment, yet you want to start small. What is it? Webbing?"

"Um... yeah! How-"

"It doesn't matter how I know. What matters is learning to use your abilities. Now, remember what I told you. Focus on your hands... imagine the webbing between your fingers."

"Alright, gimme a second..."

Elliott held his hands out, closed his eyes and focused. Webbing between his fingers... this should be easy, right? He's starting small, and it'd be useful in this environment!

Soon enough, a slight warmth could be felt in Elliott's fingers, and when he opened his eyes... there was webbing between his fingers. Nothing like human skin either, it looked like the membranes a frog would have between its toes!

"M-my God...it... actually worked! How're we able to do this??"

"It's simple, simple enough that one such as yourself can understand. Our bodies are made of hard light, light that can be manipulates into any shape that is desired. You however..." The eyes paused, squinting for a moment. "Doesn't matter how it works, we still have work to do."

"Alright, alright..." Elliott looked down at the rushing water, and had another idea.
Surely in rushing water, surfacing for air would he difficult to pull off, so how about removing the issue entirely?

Elliott focused on a new image, one of gills on a human neck... his neck. Almost immediately, a small amount of light could be seen emitting from his neck, along with a slight tingling sensation, and the sound... well it was unique so to say. While it didn't sound organic and gross, it sounded... strange. The best way to describe it could be a high pitched buzz?

When the light faded, what looked like gills had appeared on Elliott's neck and without hesitation, he dove into the fast moving water.

Maneuvering was... difficult to say the least. Dozens of different currents, trying to pull him every which way, but Elliott persevered. He dipped and dived through the menagerie of rocks, nearly being gashed on his arms and legs time and time again until he got out to open water. Once in open water, everything was smooth sailing, though the depths looked... odd. Considering the nearby rocks, one would think that the seabed would be relatively visible... but that couldn't be further from the truth.

Below Elliott was the radiant abyss he had become all too familiar with at this point. How was this even possible? Rocks that big couldn't possibly float like that- wait.
Why was he even questioning the logic of a dream in the first place?

A minute later, the stagnant water surrounding the landmasses near the outcroppings began to ripple, then what looked like an explosion underneath occurred as Elliott breached the surface. Oddly, even though he could still breathe thanks to his new gills, he still felt like he was about to pass out as he gasped for air.

He climbed onto the landmass and nearly collapsed, out of breath. "Holy shit... th- that was incredible!" Elliott pulled himself onto a rock and his arms gave way, leaving him like a seal basking in the Sun's light.

"Now now Starlight, we aren't done yet. We still have much to do..."

What felt like hours passed by, as Elliott continued to learn about his newfound gifts, and he found a preference on how to use his shape-shifting abilities specifically.

Yet when the eyes were about to speak again... what sounded like a thunder clap could be heard, and Elliotts eyes shot open. His head hurt, and raindrops could be heard thundering on the ceiling above, pounding on the roof like the undead banging on a barricaded door. Could the noise be making his headache worse? He couldn't be sure.

"Where... am I?"

Elliott looked around, and found that he was in some kind of infirmary. He had been laying on what looked like a military cot when he heard a nearby door opening. Through that door... came Hoops, with what looked like a sandwich bag in her hand. She had been mumbling to herself when she saw Elliott had finally woken up, and her eyes lit up.

"Oh, Eli! You're finally awake!" Hoops rushed over, and sat in a nearby chair.

"Oh, hey Hoops... what're you doing here?"

"Well checking in on you of course! You took a hell of a blow back there, but you didn't need any medical attention somehow! I was gonna have my medical personality see to it that they treat whatever damage was done. We expected heavy electrical burns on your stomach, but there's not even a scratch!" She yelled.

"Wait... are you serious?" Elliott lifted his hoodie and shirt a bit, to find Hoops was right. Where the robot had jabbed him was... completely spotless. There wasn't a bruise of any kind, just uninjured ashen skin. How was this possible? There should have been at least some kind of burn, but Elliott was straight up unscathed!

"W-what?" Elliott didn't know what to think.

"I know right?? That's what me and my men were all like! We all thought we'd have to treat horrific electrical burns, but nope! Just normal belly flesh!"

"Weird way to word it, but yeah... this is strange."

This was the second time Elliott could remember coming out unscathed when he should have been horrifically injured. First almost breaking his foot, then an electrical burn... could there have been some kind of reason why? Perhaps some kind of ability the eyes hadn't mentioned yet, invulnerability maybe? No, no. He still felt pain, that had to mean something was being harmed.

"You have to have the luck of the gods on your side or... something like that! An injury like that could have been severe!"

Elliott still didn't know what to think. His discussion with the General didn't give him any good theories as to why he had been so lucky when it came to injuries, and there was already something else he had in mind.

"Hey Hoops, um... can I go on leave? That's the right term for this stuff, right? I kinda want to head out into wider Tullwend for a few days." Elliott asked.

"Oh, really? What for exactly?"

"I... kinda want to practice my powers in private..."

"Oh, why didn't you say so earlier? Besides, you're still in training so you can technically come and go as you please!"

"Oh, I see..."

After they made their discussion on how long Elliott would be on leave, Hoops left the room, leaving the boy all to himself.

He still wanted to rest, but first... he wanted to test something.

He held a hand out, closed his eyes and focused. Webbing between his fingers... that should still be simple even in reality, right? The high pitched buzz began to ring in Elliott's ears, and his hand felt slightly warm as it began to glow. The light faded moments later, and Elliott's suspicions were confirmed.

His fingers had webbing in-between them. He could shapeshift in reality just like he could use his staff.

He smiled. This was going to be fun. Practice, was going to be fun.

Chapters end.

Top Bottom