• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Prison Realm

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
As the others distracted Orzo and the legendaries, the small group charged through Hoopa’s ring.

They emerged on the other side, with Hoopa shutting the ring behind them. Infinite void stretched before them, a smattering of sickly stars hanging above, casting a pale light. Beneath them appeared to be more void, yet disorientingly, there remained the sensation of standing on a solid ground. All around stretched nothingness, far as the eye could see... Before bearings could be gathered, a strange feeling would wash over everyone, bot human and pokemon alike - though pokemon would feel it much more intensely. A weariness, then like there was some kind of wall, some part of one's self shut down, locked away. Hoopa held out a hand experimentally, then withdrew it.

"My energy... its blocked. I can't use any moves." Reaching out, they grasped the ring, and it shrank back to its small size. They slipped it onto their horn and shuddered. "I think I can still use my ring but my powers... my moves are blocked somehow. That's how Orzo makes sure they can't fight, then he drains them...”

Their hands clenched into fists. "Orzo had all this power and he used it for this... For evil" they hissed. Their gaze roved across the void, then locked onto a point beyond. "I sense something in that direction... troubled minds. The trainers must be close."

And without another word, Hoopa started forwards.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
The bullshit king collapsed under the combined darkness conjured by Mightyena and the huge weavile, and then the weavile darted around madly, grabbing the hoopa's hands clean out of the air. Mightyena kept him down with another wave of darkness, and everything seemed to be going well until another otherworldly wail sounded across the battlefield.

"Fucking--" Nate hissed, twisting around to try to see what was going on. His heart hammered, and he felt cold already, the slow narrowing of his vision--but this time nothing in particular seemed to happen. Something freaky was going on with the Sinnoh legends, but aside from some water that Mightyena barely noticed, given her height, the battle seemed to be continuing as normal.

Nate sighed in relief, actually relaxing a moment before Mightyena's ears flicked to the side, and then she turned around and started towards their own hoopa and his new, empowered ring. Empowered and open, apparently, to a black and starry void...

"You can't be fucking serious," Nate said, icy cold pooling in his gut. "Why the fuck would you want to go back there? Don't you want to stay here and beat on some legends? You wanted to squish a god, remember?"

"We have to save Reena," Mightyena said, splashing through the torrential flood like it was nothing. "Xavian, too. We have to get all the other trainers back."

"So let somebody else do that! It don't gotta be us!" Nate could see Steven's huge aggron turning towards the portal, and the empowered Odile as well. Those two could handle the job for sure.

"Someone saved us," Mightyena said grimly. "We ought to repay the favor."

There wasn't any point in arguing, was there? Nate sighed and tightened his grip on Mightyena's fur as she raced across the battlefield. And then abruptly spoke, sounding much brighter than before. "Oh, look, it's Wes! Are you going to the portal too, Wes?"

"Huh?" Nate couldn't see anything but a couple small dots far below, almost lost amidst the swirling water. Then he had to hold on for dear life as Mightyena's neck dropped out from under him. She dropped to her belly with a huge splash, putting herself at close to eye level with Wes.

"You can get on if you want! We're going on a rescue mission!" Her tail arced up overhead, waving jauntily.

"Mightyena, I don't know if this is a good idea..." Nate muttered, sure she must hear him with those huge ears of hers. Of course she ignored him completely.

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
As Aggon splashed closer to the portal, two more gigantic figures were closing in as well. For a moment, Steven panicked, thinking that Orzo or one of the Legendaries he was controlling had come to attack Hoopa and the ring, but when Mightyena's tail flew up and started waving like a giant, merry flag, Steven allowed himself a relieved smile.

neutral face.png
"Look, Odile and Odette, too," said Aggron, pointing his snout to where Odile's jagged wings cut through the sky.

straight ahead smile.png
"And Wes," added Steven, spotting the now-familiar trainer climbing aboard Mightyena's enormous snout with what looked like two Eeveeloutions with wings...? Oddity aside, it seemed as if the group that had been together at the start of all this disaster was coming together once more.

Just as Steven wondered if Kimiko was also on her way toward the portal, Aggron's question snapped him from his thoughts.

thinking.png
"Uh, the three of us are all kinda big, and Hoopa's portal is kinda... small. Are we gonna fit?"

thinking face.png
"I..." Steven paused. He honestly had no idea. He'd never used dynamax before, and had Hoopa ever tried to transport a dynamaxed pokemon?

But as Aggron neared the portal, it seemed as if the question would answer itself. The starry realm beyond seemed to draw them in, and as it did, the ground grew nearer and nearer. Aggron was shrinking as he was pulled toward the portal. Was it the ring's power, or the power Orzo had over his realm that was draining the dynamax energy from Aggron's body.

There wasn't time to consider any further, as all at once, they were sucked through and into darkness.

-

Steven was already in the process of hopping from Aggron's claw as they passed through, and for one stomach-lurching moment, he wasn't sure where the ground was going to be. He stumbled as his feet made contact with thin air, as many stars suspended below him as above. It was unsettling. Almost as unsettling as the wave of fatigue that slammed into him like a truck. He was breathing heavy and his pulse was racing like he'd just hiked up a mountain, but he hadn't even taken a step.

Then Hoopa spoke up and Steven's brow furrowed in worry.
"My energy... its blocked. I can't use any moves." Reaching out, they grasped the ring, and it shrank back to its small size. They slipped it onto their horn and shuddered. "I think I can still use my ring but my powers... my moves are blocked somehow. That's how Orzo makes sure they can't fight, then he drains them..."
thinking face_angry.png
"Of course," Steven muttered, hand to his chin, "otherwise the trainers and pokemon he captured would fight back..." He shook his head, anger replacing whatever energy he'd forfeited to Orzo's realm. "Despicable..."

grumpy.png
Aggron staggered next to him with a low growl. He was hunched over with a claw curled to his midsection, but his own anger churned much the same. "I don't need moves to rip Orzo a new one," he snarled, horns glinting in the pallid light.

worried.png
"Still..." Steven began, gaze roaming to Mitch and Mightyena. They'd come back from this dimension once already. He'd only seen them briefly after that, but something hadn't been right... "The sooner we find Hayes and the others, the better."

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
As the group approached, the sight before them finally grew clear, both slowly and all at once.

Trainers and their pokemon, scattered and spread out like toys left behind by a child. Glowing chains encircled their limp bodies as they seemed to stand, suspended by an unseen force. A girl and a drampa, a familiar roserade and a woman, a salandit and his trainer, an alakazam with his... every trainer from the island, all together, being used like some kind of living battery. Their faces pale and colors drained, they appeared unconscious, yet thankfully alive. The hoop-like chains that encircled their bodies snaked away from them, all towards a shadowy tangle in the center of the group...

“This is horrible...” Hoopa shivered, distress etched across their face. Edging forwards, they touched one of the chains wrapped around the drampa. Almost instantly, they yanked their hand back and grimaced.

Hoopa turned to the group. “Orzo has them in a sort of trance while he drains their energy. But maybe...” they paused to glance at the trainers that had followed them. “Yes. Maybe we can turn this place’s strength against Orzo. Bonds here are strong, if we can find a trigger to wake some of the trainers we can free the rest I think.”

Drifting closer, Hoopa examined the chained trainers. “I might be able to project into their minds but... I don’t know them, I wouldn’t know what to do to wake them, or even which trainers to talk to...”

The trainers and their partners are chained together and their energy is being drained! Is it your imagination or do the chains on Reena, Irene, Sigmin and Noro seem to glow slightly brighter...?

Hoopa can try to link you to a trainer. They believe that it's possible to form a connection to them and trigger them to break them free!

Last edited:

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
Odile soared into the new opening, Odette clinging to her brambles as she dove toward the ground. Odette shot one last wary look toward the battle. Enora had opted to stay behind, to help protect the other trainers. It was probably for the best, though given they had almost just turned to stone, Odette felt like she had a right to be somewhat apprehensive.

But, as illustrated thus far, she had two very strong partners here. Enora would be just fine. And it looked like she wasn't the only Eon to stay back.

Odile's mega form landed, and she lowered her head to the ground to allow Odette to hop off. There, she could see just who joined them. All the familiar faces from the break-in, back here for the break-out. How ironic.

"Fancy catching you all here," she chided, rubbing her swollen cheek. Seriously, Odile had really hit her hard. At the thought, she sent a glare over her shoulder at the dragon, before catching sight of the other trainers. The Undesireables, as she'd been calling them this whole time. Now victimized and having their life forces drained for the sake of that motherfucker on the battlefield. Not only did she feel enraged, she suddenly felt guilty.

"̶G̸o̸d̵s̸,̵ ̷w̸h̸a̷t̴ ̶i̴s̷ ̸t̴h̶i̴s̴,̷ ̶a̶m̴a̶t̶e̸u̷r̸ ̷h̴o̷u̷r̶?̸ ̷D̴o̶n̷'̵t̷ ̷y̷o̵u̷ ̴k̴n̴o̴w̵ ̵t̷h̷e̵ ̵e̴n̶e̴r̵g̶y̸ ̷i̵s̷ ̷w̸a̴y̶ ̸b̴e̴t̴t̸e̴r̴ ̴w̸h̸e̶n̴ ̴y̴o̶u̴ ̷d̵i̵s̷m̴e̸m̵b̴e̸r̷ ̴t̸h̴e̷m̷ ̸f̷i̸r̴s̶t̴?̶"̸ Odile cracked.

Odette bristled. She grit her teeth and whirled around back to the eldritch 'mon, fist raised involuntarily. "Dude, are you--"

"̶S̸o̴r̵r̵y̶y̶y̵y̶y̸y̷y̷ ̴s̶o̷r̶r̷y̷.̵ ̵I̸n̶s̷e̵n̶s̴i̵t̸i̷v̵i̶t̵y̶.̴ ̶R̵i̸g̴h̴t̸.̷ ̸B̶a̴d̵ ̸t̶i̶m̶e̶.̴"̴

With a wave of her wing, she shrunk down to her human size. However, the mega evolution energy still ran through her, leaving her with her cooler looking wings still jetting from her back as she stepped up to her vessel. She fluttered them smugly, chuckling to herself at their feel. "̸I̶ ̴s̴h̷o̷u̵l̴d̵ ̷m̴e̶g̶a̵ ̵e̷v̵o̴l̴v̶e̶ ̸m̶o̴r̶e̷ ̷o̵f̶t̵e̶n̴.̶"̴

Odette didn't answer. She was too busy chewing on Hoopa's words, and eyeing each one of the downed trainers and their partners.

"Project into their minds..." she repeated.

Her gaze fell to that familiar cocky teen, and his alakazam friend. The two she'd battled at the beginning of all of this, who she'd been so sure had had something to do with this. She couldn't have been more wrong, and, well...she must've had a streak of that going.

Odile saw where Odette's gaze went, causing hers to light up. "̴O̵h̸!̶ ̸P̵e̶r̵f̴e̸c̴t̵!̵ ̵W̶e̷ ̷h̷a̶v̸e̸ ̷t̶h̵e̸ ̵a̴s̵s̷ ̶k̶i̷c̵k̷i̷n̵g̸ ̷b̸o̷n̵d̶ ̸w̴i̵t̷h̴ ̵N̷o̸r̴o̷,̶ ̸s̵o̶ ̵w̷e̵ ̸c̷a̴n̷ ̴d̴e̷f̴i̷n̷i̵t̴e̶l̸y̶ ̴g̸o̴ ̸o̵v̵e̷r̵ ̴t̴h̶e̵r̵e̷ ̶a̶n̴d̴ ̴p̶u̶n̵c̵h̴ ̶h̵i̷m̵ ̵r̸e̶a̷l̸l̶y̷ ̴h̸a̴r̷d̴,̶ ̴a̸n̸d̵ ̵i̶t̶'̵d̵ ̵p̴r̵o̵b̵a̴b̸l̷y̸-̴-̶"̸

"No," Odette snapped.

With a sigh, she began to step toward Noro, but not before Hoopa once more.

"I'm ready to get this show on the road. Break a leg, guys."

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
As they moved through the twilit realm, it was becoming harder to gauge the passage of time. The lack of anything resembling ground, or landmarks, made it impossible to tell how fast or slow they were moving. Each step brought with it a growing sense of fatigue, and yet it hardly felt like they'd been walking long at all when they arrived. Surely this realm was playing tricks on them. It was almost like they'd warped to this spot for how instantly it appeared. The group froze, and Steven wished with all his heart what lay before them was also a trick. Except the wave of nausea that swept over him told him it wasn't.

shocked.png
"Gods--" was all he could manage, eyes wide with horror. The captive trainers hung suspended like broken marionettes, golden chains glowing sickeningly against their pale forms.

"Hayes..." Steven's gaze darted to find the young trainer slumped forward where he hung. To his left was Irene, the chains wound tightly around her like she'd tried to break free. And Reena, the smallest silhouette there, the one who'd suffered the longest, cradled face down with arms and legs dangling limply below her. Their pokemon lashed tightly by their sides, together but kept apart, unable to reach out to them, helpless. Steven clamped a hand over his mouth as the nausea redoubled.

Without warning, Aggron let loose a terrible snarl and rushed forward, snatching a length of chain that held Nosepass in his claws.
Aggron Expression_SNARL.png
"I'll tear it to pieces!" he roared. But as soon as he made contact, he let loose a howl so full of pain and despair it turned Steven's blood to ice.

Aggron stumbled backward and sunk to a knee, holding a claw to his head. "Evil..." he rumbled, the bravado in his voice replaced by uncharacteristic weariness. He shook his head to ward off what he'd felt, such a soul-draining sensation, but it refused to fade. He stared balefully at the scattered trainers, at what Orzo had done to them. "Those chains... this place... It's evil."

Steven was at his partner's side in an instant, kneeling beside him, still seized by the raw terror of it all.

frustrated.png
"So much suffering," he whispered, the hand that wasn't against Aggron's flank clenched into a fist. It was a minor miracle he didn't immediately turn and swing when Odile's voice sliced through the silence:
"̶G̸o̸d̵s̸,̵ ̷w̸h̸a̷t̴ ̶i̴s̷ ̸t̴h̶i̴s̴,̷ ̶a̶m̴a̶t̶e̸u̷r̸ ̷h̴o̷u̷r̶?̸ ̷D̴o̶n̷'̵t̷ ̷y̷o̵u̷ ̴k̴n̴o̴w̵ ̵t̷h̷e̵ ̵e̴n̶e̴r̵g̶y̸ ̷i̵s̷ ̷w̸a̴y̶ ̸b̴e̴t̴t̸e̴r̴ ̴w̸h̸e̶n̴ ̴y̴o̶u̴ ̷d̵i̵s̷m̴e̸m̵b̴e̸r̷ ̴t̸h̴e̷m̷ ̸f̷i̸r̴s̶t̴?̶"̸ Odile cracked.

"Really? After all this time--"
Steven made to rise, but Odette beat him to the punch, quite literally as he saw. It was a good thing, as it took significant effort to get back to his feet; no doubt from the same effects of the realm that were clouding his partner. Either that, or it was the side effects of Odile's impact on his blood pressure. At least he'd grown to know her well enough to recognize that her look of apology was truly genuine. Despite everything, he was glad to see the two of them again. Wes, too. It seemed not even the end of the world could keep them from finding trouble together.

Aggron took another moment before he stood as well, and he regarded Mightyena and her not-so-boring trainer. How were they faring in all this, finally taking in what had happened to them? He gave Mightyena a worried look. If he felt such despair, he couldn't imagine what she was going through. Such a joyful pokemon didn't deserve something like this. Hell, no one deserved this.

Hoopa turned to the group. “Orzo has them in a sort of trance while he drains their energy. But maybe...” they paused to glance at the trainers that had followed them. “Yes. Maybe we can turn this place’s strength against Orzo. Bonds here are strong, if we can find a trigger to wake some of the trainers we can free the rest I think.”

Drifting closer, Hoopa examined the chained trainers. “I might be able to project into their minds but... I don’t know them, I wouldn’t know what to do to wake them, or even which trainers to talk to...”

As Hoopa spoke, Steven swore he could feel Aggron's emotions rolling over him. Anger, fear, sadness, they mixed with his own feelings, and despite the tightness in his chest, a spark of resolve began to burn bright.

thinking face_angry.png
"The strength of bonds?" he echoed. "I wonder..."

Steven straightened and walked over to Hayes. His eyes were full of sorrow, but his jaw was set with determination. Closing his eyes, he reached out a hand and held it up, palm out. There was no keystone, or special words. But maybe it worked like when he and Metagross bonded, their minds becoming closer to unlock greater power. He hadn't known the young man long, but maybe... with Hoopa's help, he could reach Hayes and pull him back from wherever Orzo had imprisoned his mind. He drew in a shaky breath.

eyes closed pensive.png
"Hayes," Steven said aloud, "I don't know if you can hear me, but..."

He faltered, pulling his hand back slightly. Was this really going to work? Orzo's powers were immense. Could they really simply reach out and ask the trainers to wake up when the entire realm was bearing down upon them?

But then a solid presence arrived at Steven's side, and the silver of Aggron's helm appeared in his view. One blue eye slid to meet his own, and the flame of resolve reignited, stronger than before.
grumpy.png
"We do this together," rumbled Aggron. He reached out a claw, and with a nod, Steven followed suit. Faintly, he registered Odette's words of encouragement.

eyes closed neutral.png
"Hayes, Nosepass..." murmured Steven, eyes closed again. "It's Steven and Aggron. We're here. Please, if you can hear us, wake up."

Somewhere in the distance, the faint rattle of chains could be heard.

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Wes was only barely managing to keep up with Neo, who had decided that gliding wasn’t good enough and that he needed to fly high into the air way ahead of his trainer. The damn Espeon really just sprouted wings and promptly left his trainer in the dust not ten minutes afterwards. Wes grumbled under his breath, despite his tiny flicker of amusement at Neo’s enthusiasm. So much for loyalty, you little brat.
She dropped to her belly with a huge splash, putting herself at close to eye level with Wes.

"You can get on if you want! We're going on a rescue mission!" Her tail arced up overhead, waving jauntily.
He barely had time to register something huge coming up from behind and looming over him before a booming bark made him stumble in surprise. Swearing profusely, he glanced up to see the biggest damn dog crouching beside him, tongue lolling and tail wagging.

Oh, gods. Sweet mother of Arceus. What the hell. This thing was bigger than a house. It could eat a house…was it going to eat him? But—wait—someone was riding this giant Mightyena…

“Mitch?” Wes croaked. He stared at the giant Pokémon in disbelief. “…Mightyena?”

Neo must have noticed the commotion, because he was suddenly landing at Wes’s side. His eyes sparkled as he addressed Mightyena. “Wow wow wow! Mightyena, you’re HUGE! And I thought I was big! That’s so cool! Look, look, you got giant and I got wings! We’re both so cool now! Wes, you should get on, it looks like fun!”

Wes shot Neo a withering glare and was about to ask why the hell he had taken off in such a hurry—but before he could say anything, Neo took his sleeve between his teeth and all but dragged him over to Mightyena, and all the shouting in the world couldn’t stop the canine’s giant muzzle as she nudged him up onto her shoulders.

Wes sat up with a huff, stiffening slightly when he caught sight of Mitch—Nate? Whatever. Regardless of what his name was, he didn’t exactly look thrilled to be in this position, either.

Wes tried to smile, though it felt more like a grimace. “Right, tell me what the hell you fed your Pokémon so I can know to never give it to—agh, SHIT—”

He yelped and clutched frantically at Mightyena’s fur as she abruptly rose and took off again. Never mind. Forget talking. He focused all of his energy on keeping a tight grip and not looking down to see how high up they were, definitely not that, he certainly didn’t accidentally glance down and feel a wave of nausea at how horrifyingly small everything was below, oh dear gods—

He was vaguely aware of Neo flying beside them, chattering excitedly about something. And then there was a flash of light, a strangely cold sensation washing over him, and—fwoosh! Suddenly there was nothing underneath him at all.

Wes flailed and found nothing but air. He would have screamed, but the sensation of plummeting to the ground snatched his breath away. He closed his eyes, bracing for impact—but instead felt something collide with him, felt a scrambling of paws at his back and wings beating overhead, and his momentum slowed. Before he could make sense of what was up or down, he found himself being dropped rather unceremoniously to the ground—winded and slightly battered, but alive. Somehow. He fell forward onto his hands and knees, clutching at his chest and gulping for air like a Magikarp out of water.

“Did you see that? I caught you! Hahahaha! I saved you! I’m so good at flying! And—are you okay?”

Neo nudged under Wes’s arm until all Wes could see was a large pair of worried violet eyes. He managed to nod weakly and wrapped one arm around Neo’s neck to steady himself—then lurched to the side and retched. He glanced up and saw both Mitch—dammit, Nate—and Mightyena staring at him. Fantastic.

“I appreciate the gesture,” he said hoarsely to a worried-looking Mightyena, “but please don’t ever do that to me again.”

“Ohhh.” Neo’s eyes grew wide. He flicked his ears and shuffled his paws sheepishly. “I forgot you are scared of being tall.”

Heights, not being tall.
But Wes was too busy catching his breath to correct him. Instead, he leaned into Neo’s neck with a shaky, forced laugh. “S’fine. I think. Thanks for saving me. Would kinda suck to die here, of all places.”

…Wait. Where was here?

It was yet another dark and shapeless void, but this one was even more eerie and foreboding than Darkrai’s realm. The weariness Wes had felt earlier now returned, twice as heavy as before even in spite of the adrenaline rush he’d just experienced. With Neo’s help, he staggered to his feet and followed Hoopa’s directions, trying not to shiver at the unsettling quiet of this place. Wes spotted Odette, Steven and Aggron, and felt at least a tiny prickle of relief at seeing some familiar faces. Even the sight of Odile was somewhat comforting, though Wes wasn’t sure if it was because she had grown on him a little bit or if this place was just that much more creepy than some demonic Pokémon.

When they reached the missing trainers and Pokémon, suspended in their strange glowing restraints, he suspected it was the latter.

Wes felt his stomach twist at the sight. They might have all looked peaceful in any other scenario, but everything here screamed of wrong.

He saw Neo walk up to one of the chains and lean in to sniff at them. Wes felt the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. “Neo, don’t touch it!”

No sooner had he spoken than Aggron let out an agonized bellow and recoiled from another set of chains. Neo flinched and shrank back, ears flat and tail low, his usual bravado and enthusiasm much duller than before.

Wes steeled himself with a deep breath. “Right. Let’s see what we can do.”

Last edited:

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Within moments Wes had been deposited across from Nate on Mightyena's broad back, looking none too happy about the situation and accompanied by--a flying espeon? One with actual wings, not using telekinesis. Nate stared up at Neo as he whizzed around, chatting animatedly. Damn, and he'd thought the legends' power had done weird shit to Mightyena. At least he recognized the getting-big thing.

"I could ask you the same thing," he said in response to Wes' question. "I ain't never seen an espeon with wings before." Nate craned his neck in an attempt to catch sight of Wes umbreon as well, but the ground was so far away, and the pokémon's black fur would blend in perfectly with the dark water below.

"You even smell different!" Mightyena said with a booming laugh. "Like a dragon! Come on, let's race. I bet you can't get to the portal before me!"

At least Mightyena's massive footfalls forestalled any conversation. Wes didn't look like he was enjoying the ride much, clinging hard onto Mightyena's fur, pale as anything. Nate was unsure whether he should say anything, but in just two steps Mightyena was ducking her head to pass through the swirling starry portal--

--and then there was an explosion of red light and Mightyena vanished from underneath him, leaving Nate in desperate freefall. He slammed back down on Mightyena's back a second later, but with a tearing noise and another burst of light she shrunk again. A second later he hit the ground with enough force to knock the air from his lungs and was left staring dazedly at the blurry stars.

"Mightyena... the fuck?" he choked out. He was resting on some kind of ground, but above, to all sides, were those strange stars. Shadows floated before them. Everything around was still, quiet. Far too quiet and still. Nate didn't even realize he'd closed his eyes until he noticed he couldn't see the stars anymore, and then a surge of panic had him up in a kneeling position in one desperate flail.

Fatigue dragged at him, that black, smothering wave that whispered for him to go back to sleep. Fuck. Fuck. Had to stay awake. Stay awake. Nate forced himself to his feet, his head swimming but determined, absolutely determined not to pass out again. Not a-fucking-gain. Fuck. Why the hell had they come back here, again?

Wes and Neo had landed nearby--maybe a little easier than Nate had, but they weren't exactly looking great. Nate winced when Wes started to pull himself using his eeveelution as a brace but ended up vomiting instead. Yeah. Not great.

"Sorry about that," he said, holding out his hand to help Wes up. "I don't know what..."

But a soft whimper cut him off, and he forgot all about Wes, about the floating captives in their bonds. He didn't notice the distant roar of a pokémon, or Hoopa's explanation of what they had to do next. All his attention was on Mightyena, who lay pawing at her snout, ears pinned back and eyes wide and white.

She didn't look injured, but whatever had been going on with that shrinking thing... "Mightyena! What's wrong?"

She looked mournfully up at him, then turned her gaze back to the ground. "It happened again," she said softly, and Nate was sure he could see her shivering even in the dimness. "I can't feel my shadows anymore."

Chains of the Mind

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Hoopa nodded. "Okay" Their voice wavered with fear. "I'll use the power of this realm to try and project you into the mind of a trainer you have a connection with. Once you're seeing into their mind, you can reach out if you need me. I can try and project something into their minds to help. Otherwise, just... try to connect with them."

They took a deep breath and swallowed. "I'll try to make this quick." Steeling themself, Hoopa closed their eyes and reached out with their hands. The air around them began to hum ever so slightly, and human and pokemon alike would feel the slightest tingle in their heads... They squeezed their eyes harder, gritting their teeth. A soft pulse of energy expanded from their body, and for a split second, faint glowing light could be seen from each trainer, extending outwards to one of the kidnapped trainers; though it almost seemed a trick of the realm...

One from Mightyena to Reena, from Odette and Odile to Noro, Wes and Neo to Sigmin, and Steven to Irene.

The trainers and their partners would a feel a tugging sensation, soft at first, but growing stronger, more urgent. Vision would blur slightly, and the sound of a strange rushing noise, like wind. Then in the blink of an eye, everything shifted, and each trainer was greeted by a new sight.

Reena sat alone, in the midst of a dark void. No wind, no stars, no sky or earth, just emptiness. Coldness. Her knees were pressed against her chest and her arms wrapped around her legs. Soft, quiet sobs could be heard from her. A journal, like the one from her room, lay open on the ground next to her, pages unfilled. Everything around her seemed so dull...

Curled nearby was the real Drampa, eyes downcast as he watched Reena. “I’m sorry,” he rumbled to himself in his deep, melancholic voice. “I couldn’t help...”

Sigmin and Salandit wandered down an alley, fenced in by shadowy buildings and dark nondescript walls. Sigmin’s hands were shoved in his pockets and his eyes glued to the dirty pavement as he wandered along. He paused at the end of the alley, which spilled onto a city street. Shadows of people moved along the sidewalks. Specific shapes or faces seemed impossible to discern, though they seemed to pass by Sigmin without a second glance, or perhaps forgot him entirely. Salandit’s stomach rumbled. In an almost trance-like daze, the pair watched everyone drift by them without taking any notice at all....

Noro stood before a plain, nondescript house on a block. Well-kept, but unmemorable. Alakazam waited placidly behind him. Noro seemed to be steeling himself, then he reached out and opened the door, stepping inside. “I won the last gym, I have all the badges.” He was speaking to a silhouette of a figure, in the kitchen, busy preparing a meal. Whoever it was, didn’t seem to hear. Or perhaps simply didn’t respond.

“I also got a mega stone, and taught Alakazam to mega evolve.”

The silhouette spoke, its tone uncaring. “I should hope so! Wouldn’t be a very good trainer if you didn’t. How do you expect to make anything of yourself if you always act like everyone else?”

Noro nodded, his body stiff. “Of course.”

“I hope you have something else more impressive to share than just mega evolution.”

Noro didn’t respond.

Never ceasing her preparations, the figure continued. “You said you wanted to be strong. Train more, come back once you've done something worth talking about.”

Face unreadable, Noro made a noise of acknowledgement, and left, still followed by Alakazam.

“We better get started,” he said simply.

Alakazam sighed, then nodded. “Very well.”

Irene sat on a park bench, flanked by Roserade. She seemed to be intently watching the people of the park, sharp eyes scrutinizing each. She whispered to herself, taking mental notes. ‘Oblivious; looks too strong; not enough money; wait until she’s more distracted.’

Roserade placed a bouquet on her hand, and Irene pulled away. “Stop. I’ve made up my mind. Either help me or go home. I need to focus,” she said sharply.

Her eyes leapt from person to person, taking them in. As if searching for a mark. The shape of something like a young child wandered by and she jolted and looked away. Her hands clenched into fists.

“Cut it out,” she hissed to herself. “This is who you are. You never had a conscience before, and you ain’t gonna start now... Never gonna be anything else...”

Last edited:

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Reena sat alone, in the midst of a dark void. No wind, no stars, no sky or earth, just emptiness. Coldness. Her knees were pressed against her chest and her arms wrapped around her legs. Soft, quiet sobs could be heard from her. A journal, like the one from her room, lay open on the ground next to her, pages unfilled. Everything around her seemed so dull...

Curled nearby was the real Drampa, eyes downcast as he watched Reena. “I’m sorry,” he rumbled to himself in his deep, melancholic voice. “I couldn’t help...”

And just then, when Nate realized what Mightyena meant, that the same thing was happening all over again and Mightyena had lost her abilities, the stars went out. Nate twisted this way and that, heart in his throat, but it was all gone. The stars, the trainers, Neo and Wes--all that was left was a blank void.

What the fuck was going on? Had this been some kind of trap all along? Maybe they'd never made it to the bullshit king's prison in the first place and had only been dropped in the middle of another nightmare.

There was something, he realized after a moment. A sound. Faint sobs. Someone crying. Yup. Freaky as fuck. Horror movie territory. Nate was so fucking done with nightmares.

There was somebody out there, or something, shapes in the dark. "Mightyena," Nate said when she got to her feet, looking dangerously determined. "Wait!"

Of course she wasn't going to wait. She made a beeline for the crying kid, all fear forgotten. "What's wrong?" she asked, curling around behind Reena, nudging up against her shoulder. "What happened?"

Nate hung back, arms crossed, gaze going between Reena and the hulking form of her drampa nearby. There was a book open in front of the kid, unfilled. There'd been one back in her room, too, right? But there'd been stuff written in it. Whatever the fuck that meant. Nate gave Drampa another uneasy look. "What're you talking about, big guy? What couldn't you help with?"

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
And just then, when Nate realized what Mightyena meant, that the same thing was happening all over again and Mightyena had lost her abilities, the stars went out. Nate twisted this way and that, heart in his throat, but it was all gone. The stars, the trainers, Neo and Wes--all that was left was a blank void.

What the fuck was going on? Had this been some kind of trap all along? Maybe they'd never made it to the bullshit king's prison in the first place and had only been dropped in the middle of another nightmare.

There was something, he realized after a moment. A sound. Faint sobs. Someone crying. Yup. Freaky as fuck. Horror movie territory. Nate was so fucking done with nightmares.

There was somebody out there, or something, shapes in the dark. "Mightyena," Nate said when she got to her feet, looking dangerously determined. "Wait!"

Of course she wasn't going to wait. She made a beeline for the crying kid, all fear forgotten. "What's wrong?" she asked, curling around behind Reena, nudging up against her shoulder. "What happened?"

Nate hung back, arms crossed, gaze going between Reena and the hulking form of her drampa nearby. There was a book open in front of the kid, unfilled. There'd been one back in her room, too, right? But there'd been stuff written in it. Whatever the fuck that meant. Nate gave Drampa another uneasy look. "What're you talking about, big guy? What couldn't you help with?"

At first, Reena only seemed to cry harder, and it was hard to tell if she even realized Mightyena and Nate were there. Finally she spoke, but she seemed lost, not quite aware of who was there. "I just wanted to try and make some friends but..." she sniffled. "I'll never be able to. I messed it all up."

Drampa huffed as he watched her. "I couldn't help her make friends. I couldn't protect her when it mattered. We came here so she could try making friends..." he let out another great sigh, resting his head on the nonexistant ground. "Back home her parents don't pay her much attention. They're busy with their business. So I thought helping her make friends would make her happy. But I let her down."

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
Noro stood before a plain, nondescript house on a block. Well-kept, but unmemorable. Alakazam waited placidly behind him. Noro seemed to be steeling himself, then he reached out and opened the door, stepping inside. “I won the last gym, I have all the badges.” He was speaking to a silhouette of a figure, in the kitchen, busy preparing a meal. Whoever it was, didn’t seem to hear. Or perhaps simply didn’t respond.

“I also got a mega stone, and taught Alakazam to mega evolve.”

The silhouette spoke, its tone uncaring. “I should hope so! Wouldn’t be a very good trainer if you didn’t. How do you expect to make anything of yourself if you always act like everyone else?”

Noro nodded, his body stiff. “Of course.”

“I hope you have something else more impressive to share than just mega evolution.”

Noro didn’t respond.

Never ceasing her preparations, the figure continued. “You said you wanted to be strong. Train more, come back once you've done something worth talking about.”

Face unreadable, Noro made a noise of acknowledgement, and left, still followed by Alakazam.

“We better get started,” he said simply.

Alakazam sighed, then nodded. “Very well.”
Odette found herself perplexed by the scene before her. Getting ahold of a mega stone, let alone learning how to use it correctly was no small feat in itself, and to just...? Brush it off like it was nothing more than taking down a preschool-grade trainer? What even was this? A parental figure? Or mentor of sorts?

"̸S̶h̶e̴e̶s̴h̷,̸ ̴t̸o̶u̸g̸h̷ ̵c̸r̷o̵w̸d̴.̷ ̷B̵i̸t̴c̷h̶ ̸a̸s̶s̸,̶"̷ Odile said under her breath.

If this was any indication of how Noro lived in real life, Odette supposed, to some degree, she could understand why he held himself the way he did. Having such major accomplishments undermined like that would probably leave anybody feeling like they needed to put up a front. In fact, she knew somebody who used to be in an eerily similar situation.

Well. She figured it was a good thing they'd battled and parted amicably in spite of everything. Maybe she could get through to him with that foundation.

Squeezing her eyes shut, she tried her hardest to convey to Hoopa what she wanted to see. What she wanted Noro to see.

Training arena. Leading to a battle field.

When she opened her eyes, she was impressed to find the scenery had indeed changed. No less nondescript than the previous scene, but it got the point across. Practice dummies, a floor to support all terrain and move types, just open enough for bigger 'mon to move freely. Clearly what she was looking for.

When she spotted Noro and Alakazam again, she gave them ample time to fall in to the new scenery before announcing her presence, but not before holding her hand out to Odile and motioning for her to stay back.

"Small world," she called from afar, keeping her distance as to ensure she didn't startle them. She waited until it was clear she meant no harm before approaching, arms crossed across her chest nonchalantly. "Wasn't expecting to find you at a Championship match here. I'd ask if you were nervous, but you look as stiff as a board. Both of you."

Her words came out with a sarcastic edge, but she cut her tone with an assuring smirk. "Loosen up. I've seen you battle, so take it from me. This'll be a Sunday stroll for you two. And that's not a compliment I like to hand out in troves."

Pursing her lips, she eyed the two of them a little closer. She was silent just long enough to seem inquisitive. "Though, a word of advice..."

Without warning, she lightly poked Noro in the center of his chest.

"Make sure you're doing this for you. And your partner. It's your collective work, and your collective strength that got your asses here. There is not a soul in this multiverse who can take that from you. Ever."

A bell chimed overhead, and an automated voice spoke. "Challenger, please make your way to the field."

Odette sighed and shoved her hands into her pockets. "That's your cue," she said. She raised one hand to her forehead and saluted the duo as she turned on her heels and trudged back in the direction she came.

"Break a leg."

The actual battle field was a tad more distinct, if only made so by the silhouettes of what was supposed to be a crowd in the stands surrounding the space. Cheering could be heard, but the dreamscape made it sound distant. Faded. The sentiment was there though.

Once more, the automated voice crackled to life. "Challengers, are you set to proceed?"

When the voice got the answer it needed, it continued. "Presenting your opponent for your Champion match!"

At the opposite end of the arena, a large door slid up, and Odette stepped out onto the field with Odile in tow. The two confidently strolled out onto the field, where they met Noro and Alakazam.

"Small world," Odette greeted with an air of jest over the dreamscape cheers, holding her hand out to shake. "I suppose I should have mentioned this was going to be a rematch."

"̸̠͖̠̞̓̒R̷̡̭̘̽̾͂͝Ȩ̷̈́̎̃-̵̱̦̹̭͗͊͊͊M̸̧͓̰̗̓̇͠Ą̶͇̺͛̓T̷̼̱̞̒C̸̢̜͌Ḥ̴̨͎̬͛͊͝,̶͔̀̉ ̵̰͙̞́͊R̴̡̛͍̈͛̇ͅE̶̜͠-̴̫̾̿̕͝M̵̖̩͈͊̈͂A̴̾̀͝ͅT̸͒̈͒́͜C̵̨͖͆̉̎͠H̵̝̻̗̉͋̄,̵͇̒͗ ̴̜̦̱̇̀̌͘ͅR̶̨͔̗̲̿̂̀̚Ẽ̶͖̰̟͈̊͂̅-̵̨̍̾͂M̴̙̝̪͐̈́͐̂͜A̷̧̳̳̋̇͊T̵͇̫͔̅̍͋͂C̵͙͔͇̾̽H̴̨̢͐!̶̦͗"̶̯̜͇͕̂̀̽͘ Odile chanted, only silenced by the glare she got from Odette.

Huffing, Odette regarded Noro again. "Nonetheless, I meant what I said. That hasn't changed."

She lowered her voice, the seriousness taking her words in a tight grip.

"And remember my advice."

She and Odile turned and made way back toward their side of the field.

"Challengers! Champion! Are you ready?"

Odette and Odile exchanged looks, before nodding once toward each other. Odette raised her palm, and Odile's hand morphed into one of those branchlike blades.

"Begin!"

With a quick slash to Odette's skin, blood began to run down her hand and over her wrist as it glowed in reaction to Odile's presence. Odile expanded into her eldritch form, roaring with a newfound fervor as the excitement of battle overtook her.

"̶͍̘͉̫͗̓F̸̞̼̺̪͒̈́̆͝Į̵̣͉̬̏͊̆͝G̶̹̟̳͐̐̂͝H̸̰̱͎̙͊T̶̜̤̫͕̽̉͌ ̴̤͎̈T̸̙̕Ḣ̴̼̟͂͒͠E̴͓͆ ̶̙̂̈́͑Ǵ̵͍͒Ǒ̷̰D̸̼͔́ ̸̪̊W̴̨̺̮̾̑̊I̸͔͎̮͋̔̔T̵̘̓̒H̶̳̜̐̑͝ ̷̢̟̕Å̸̮̌̊͘L̷̨̖̲̺͝L̵̡̝͍̈́́̚͝ ̸̢͙͍̗͛̄͘Y̸̦͓̰̹̿̓Ǒ̵̡͓̆̈Ụ̷̂ ̷̧̮̞̎́͆̕G̷̣̈O̷͉͆̀̕T̶͈͆̂!̴̟̜͛"̶̻̩͙́̎

Last edited:

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
At first, Reena only seemed to cry harder, and it was hard to tell if she even realized Mightyena and Nate were there. Finally she spoke, but she seemed lost, not quite aware of who was there. "I just wanted to try and make some friends but..." she sniffled. "I'll never be able to. I messed it all up."

Drampa huffed as he watched her. "I couldn't help her make friends. I couldn't protect her when it mattered. We came here so she could try making friends..." he let out another great sigh, resting his head on the nonexistant ground. "Back home her parents don't pay her much attention. They're busy with their business. So I thought helping her make friends would make her happy. But I let her down."
Nate snorted. "It's kinda fucking difficult making friends if some asshole shows up and kidnaps you like less than two days after you show up somewhere."

Mightyena gave him a pointed look. Well, it was true.

Nate sighed. Well, never mind the shitty parents. They'd be here all day.

"You did make friends, though, didn't you?" Mightyena said. "We're your friends." Another significant look for Nate. Yeah, yeah, he got it.

"That's right," he said. "We've been looking for you for ages now."

"Anybody who gives me bacon is an important friend to me," Mightyena said, giving the side of Reena's face a lick to punctuate the joke. She nosed the blank book closer to Reena. "Why don't you write down what you want to do on your vacation? Whatever you think would be fun. Then we can go do it together."

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
Irene sat on a park bench, flanked by Roserade. She seemed to be intently watching the people of the park, sharp eyes scrutinizing each. She whispered to herself, taking mental notes. ‘Oblivious; looks too strong; not enough money; wait until she’s more distracted.’

Roserade placed a bouquet on her hand, and Irene pulled away. “Stop. I’ve made up my mind. Either help me or go home. I need to focus,” she said sharply.

Her eyes leapt from person to person, taking them in. As if searching for a mark. The shape of something like a young child wandered by and she jolted and looked away. Her hands clenched into fists.

“Cut it out,” she hissed to herself. “This is who you are. You never had a conscience before, and you ain’t gonna start now... Never gonna be anything else...”

Steven kept his eyes tightly shut, straining to hear some kind of reply to his plea. It felt like something was pulling him in a direction, a tug more insistent than a simple mental connection. It tugged forward slowly, then with more urgency, and then jerked sharply to the side, like he'd veered off course. The silence of the prison realm slowly melted into something more familiar. The rustle of trees in the wind, the murmur of a crowd, children at play.

Steven's eyes snapped open, and he found himself standing in the middle of a park. He blinked in confusion and glanced around.

"Where are we?"

Plate armor clanked at his side, and Aggron tilted his head down to regard Steven and their surrounds. "Dunno," he said.

Steven slowly turned this way and that, taking in the oddity of where they stood. The people of the park were hazy, moving almost in slow motion, their features blurry and nondescript. A couple walked by arm in arm. A woman was seated on a bench next to her pokemon. A child chased after a bouncing ball. His gaze swept over the park-goers, unease building with each minute he couldn't spot the telltale sign of a golden Nosepass.

"Do you see Hayes?" he asked, still searching.

Aggron's snout swept left and right, scanning the crowd. He was about to shake his head no, but then spotted something which gave him pause. "Hey," he said, nudging Steven, "isn't that the lady from the swamp? The one with the Roserade?"

Steven's head snapped to where Aggron was pointing. "Wait, Irene?" he blurted out loud. "What's she doing here?"

The breeze intensified, sending the trees dancing, and Steven's heart skipped a beat. Irene was staring right back at him.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Steven kept his eyes tightly shut, straining to hear some kind of reply to his plea. It felt like something was pulling him in a direction, a tug more insistent than a simple mental connection. It tugged forward slowly, then with more urgency, and then jerked sharply to the side, like he'd veered off course. The silence of the prison realm slowly melted into something more familiar. The rustle of trees in the wind, the murmur of a crowd, children at play.

Steven's eyes snapped open, and he found himself standing in the middle of a park. He blinked in confusion and glanced around.

"Where are we?"

Plate armor clanked at his side, and Aggron tilted his head down to regard Steven and their surrounds. "Dunno," he said.

Steven slowly turned this way and that, taking in the oddity of where they stood. The people of the park were hazy, moving almost in slow motion, their features blurry and nondescript. A couple walked by arm in arm. A woman was seated on a bench next to her pokemon. A child chased after a bouncing ball. His gaze swept over the park-goers, unease building with each minute he couldn't spot the telltale sign of a golden Nosepass.

"Do you see Hayes?" he asked, still searching.

Aggron's snout swept left and right, scanning the crowd. He was about to shake his head no, but then spotted something which gave him pause. "Hey," he said, nudging Steven, "isn't that the lady from the swamp? The one with the Roserade?"

Steven's head snapped to where Aggron was pointing. "Wait, Irene?" he blurted out loud. "What's she doing here?"

The breeze intensified, sending the trees dancing, and Steven's heart skipped a beat. Irene was staring right back at him.

That was impossible. Steven couldn't be here, the last time she'd seen him was... Whatever thought she'd had slipped away into a fog.

There was no doubt it was Steven, given the hulking beast of an Aggron by his side. A scowl worked its way across her face. She felt Roserade's touch on her arm. A warning. She ignored it. "What are you doing here?" she snapped. Her fingers dug into the bench, and she forced herself to maintain eye contact. "Haven't you got anything better to do?"

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
"What are you doing here?" she snapped. Her fingers dug into the bench, and she forced herself to maintain eye contact.

Truthfully, he didn't know either. He'd been trying to reach Hayes and ended up here with her instead. He had half a mind to say as much, but Aggron's cautious rumble made him decide against it. His partner was intently watching the Roserade at Irene's side. It was probably a good idea that he held is tongue given Irene's snarky follow up:
"Haven't you got anything better to do?"

Steven's eye twitched as he barely concealed a wince. He supposed he deserved that, given how their last conversation had ended... But something wasn't right... The realization hit him all at once, and he froze.

Did Irene even know where "here" was? Did she think he'd come to bother her for no reason? Someone who he'd made very clear he'd rather not cross paths with again, and was pretty sure the feeling was mutual?

Carefully, he spoke, though he couldn't keep the incredulity from his tone. "I know last time we spoke, things were a little sour, but you'll have to believe me when I say, this might be the most important thing I do all week."

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Truthfully, he didn't know either. He'd been trying to reach Hayes and ended up here with her instead. He had half a mind to say as much, but Aggron's cautious rumble made him decide against it. His partner was intently watching the Roserade at Irene's side. It was probably a good idea that he held is tongue given Irene's snarky follow up:

Steven's eye twitched as he barely concealed a wince. He supposed he deserved that, given how their last conversation had ended... But something wasn't right... The realization hit him all at once, and he froze.

Did Irene even know where "here" was? Did she think he'd come to bother her for no reason? Someone who he'd made very clear he'd rather not cross paths with again, and was pretty sure the feeling was mutual?

Carefully, he spoke, though he couldn't keep the incredulity from his tone. "I know last time we spoke, things were a little sour, but you'll have to believe me when I say, this might be the most important thing I do all week."

"What, harassing me after you said you didn't want to see me again is that important to you? Aren't you supposed to be off being a good boy or whatever champions do?" she sneered.

She turned away, glaring into the distance. Why was Steven here after things went so bad last time they spoke? Surely he would be out looking for... For... Irene blinked and shook herself mentally, scowling again. "Just leave me be."

Roserade narrowed her eyes. 'Why are you here, Steven Stone?' she said coolly. 'If you have more harsh words for my master I will have to ask you to leave.' Her tone sounded more cautious, than aggressive.

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
"What, harassing me after you said you didn't want to see me again is that important to you? Aren't you supposed to be off being a good boy or whatever champions do?" she sneered.

She turned away, glaring into the distance. Why was Steven here after things went so bad last time they spoke? Surely he would be out looking for... For... Irene blinked and shook herself mentally, scowling again. "Just leave me be."

Roserade narrowed her eyes. 'Why are you here, Steven Stone?' she said coolly. 'If you have more harsh words for my master I will have to ask you to leave.' Her tone sounded more cautious, than aggressive.

"That's not--" he couldn't hide his frown this time, and he squeezed his eyes shut with a sharp inhale.

He held the breath for a moment before letting out a long, slow exhale. His expression softened. "I owe you an apology. I was wrong. About a lot of things, really. But before that, I need to know something."

He fixed Irene with an earnest look. Even if she wasn't facing him, he knew she was listening.

"You went after her, didn't you? After we spoke. You tried to find out who took Reena." He stared hard at Irene, but he wasn't accusatory. He needed to see her reaction. To see if he was on the right track. "That day in the forest. You found them, or they found you; it doesn't really matter. What matters is you fought--" his gaze slid to Roserade. "You fought, and you lost."

Surprised, Aggron looked at Steven with a snort of protest. What are you doing?

But Steven's gaze never faltered. He nodded at Roserade. "Am I right?"

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
"That's not--" he couldn't hide his frown this time, and he squeezed his eyes shut with a sharp inhale.

He held the breath for a moment before letting out a long, slow exhale. His expression softened. "I owe you an apology. I was wrong. About a lot of things, really. But before that, I need to know something."

He fixed Irene with an earnest look. Even if she wasn't facing him, he knew she was listening.

"You went after her, didn't you? After we spoke. You tried to find out who took Reena." He stared hard at Irene, but he wasn't accusatory. He needed to see her reaction. To see if he was on the right track. "That day in the forest. You found them, or they found you; it doesn't really matter. What matters is you fought--" his gaze slid to Roserade. "You fought, and you lost."

Surprised, Aggron looked at Steven with a snort of protest. What are you doing?

But Steven's gaze never faltered. He nodded at Roserade. "Am I right?"

Her shoulders hunched and her body stiffened as he spoke. The silence that lingered felt almost oppressive, and Irene kept her eyes fixated anywhere but on Steven now. Finally, after what seemed like nearly an eternity, she spoke. "Yeah, I did. Not like I had anything better to do," she added with a shrug. "Doesn't really matter though. It's not like it fixes anything."

Roserade's gaze became downcast for a moment, before she looked back up at Steven. She spoke softly, carefully, as if expecting Irene to stop her, though the trainer seemed content to pretend she wasn't listening. "My master did not expect to come back when she went looking that day. Truthfully, neither did I. We wanted to try and do something to... help." There was an unspoken sense that she meant to say 'make up for everything'. "So, we went out with one goal - poison the kidnapper, if we could. As bad as we could. Irene... she asked me to use my natural poisons to do it. To make sure whoever we hit wouldn't be able to recover easily."

A chilling silence seemed to settle as Rosrade finished speaking. There seemed to be less people in the park now. "It was all I could think of." Irene said, with an air of finality. "Figured I'd make the last thing I do the right one."

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
Her shoulders hunched and her body stiffened as he spoke. The silence that lingered felt almost oppressive, and Irene kept her eyes fixated anywhere but on Steven now. Finally, after what seemed like nearly an eternity, she spoke. "Yeah, I did. Not like I had anything better to do," she added with a shrug. "Doesn't really matter though. It's not like it fixes anything."

Roserade's gaze became downcast for a moment, before she looked back up at Steven. She spoke softly, carefully, as if expecting Irene to stop her, though the trainer seemed content to pretend she wasn't listening. "My master did not expect to come back when she went looking that day. Truthfully, neither did I. We wanted to try and do something to... help." There was an unspoken sense that she meant to say 'make up for everything'. "So, we went out with one goal - poison the kidnapper, if we could. As bad as we could. Irene... she asked me to use my natural poisons to do it. To make sure whoever we hit wouldn't be able to recover easily."

A chilling silence seemed to settle as Rosrade finished speaking. There seemed to be less people in the park now. "It was all I could think of." Irene said, with an air of finality. "Figured I'd make the last thing I do the right one."

Steven honored the silence in the wake of Irene and Roserade's explanation. The breeze rustled through the treetops as he watched a few of the remaining parkgoers shuffle by. And then, when the breeze died down into silence once more, Steven softly laughed.

"I might know a thing or two about plans like that," he said to no one in particular. Aggron rumbled dangerously low, and Steven shook his head at his partner with a thin smile. "What's done is done. It's in the past. We were lucky we got our second chance..." His gaze slid back over to Irene. "She deserves hers."

Another shadowy denizen of the park moved down the path between Irene's bench and where he stood. Steven waited for them to pass before he spoke again.

"Irene," he began, "what if I told you the last thing you did just might have solved everything?"

Steven paused as the wind picked up once more, sending dry leaves swirling around his feet. He watched them dance, a look of clouded sadness passing over his face. "You went into that forest thinking you wouldn't come back, and you were right. You haven't..." Suddenly, his gaze jumped back to meet Irene's, bright and sharp. "Yet."

"You could have walked away from everything, yet you chose to act. Your decision that day set in motion a chain of events that has brought us here. Maybe we're here to tell you your sacrifice wasn't in vain. Maybe it's to tell you the battle's not over yet."

"Because of you, we found the culprit, and we fought back. In fact, we're still fighting. And you should be, too. If not for me, or Reena, or the others, then for your pokemon." His gaze fell to Roserade, and he offered a smile. "She hasn't given up on you, and I'd like to think you wouldn't give up on her either."

His smile remained as he shook his head. "What I said back at the Sap Sipper? I was wrong about you, about all of it. I'm not sure an apology can undo what was said. And for that I am deeply sorry. Despite that--"

He stepped toward the bench and extended an upturned hand, an offer to help Irene up from her seat.

"I'm ready to be proven wrong again."

Top Bottom