• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Poppin' Arms ~ Study

Status
Not open for further replies.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Luz chuckled drily. "I need t'be needed," she said, firmly. "Era of peace? I'd go stir crazy, I'm sure of it. I guess I'd . . . volunteer fer emergency services. Sign onto every combat tournament on th'planet. Mentor young folks as had th'inklin' to be heroes after I'm gone, if I can even die. I hope I can die. I hope I can die so as I can go out like a real hero, in a blaze of glory, savin' some other soul, not wastin' away of senescence.

She flashed a fang in a crooked smirk. "I'm honestly kinda hopin' I can do what y'all do. After Cibus . . . that's what I want. I wanna join God Squad."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Really, join us?" Truffle asked. "You'd be the first in a long while to do something like that. To leave everything behind to join us whole realities away from your homeland... It isn't an easy feat, you know. But, then again..." Truffle glanced at the books. "I suppose no matter how this goes..." He trailed off, but then never finished. Because there was something that concerned him about Luz, and all those Ultra Shades, that he wondered if they were all ignoring.

What were they, really?

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Sure," said Luz, shrugging. "Cibus is a fine world, don't get me wrong. But it ain't where I'm meant t'stay."

She waved her tail vaguely and cupped her cheek. She'd called herself a native of Cibus before, but her memories were all of Brisa's world, and her dreams all lay somewhere else. Who was Luz?

"The first me, the Luz of myth, was called the Wanderin' Light. She'd never stay in one place long. No home. Just adventure. That's where I'm from, those tales of the lightbringin' legendary Luz, who would journey across the land doin' what others couldn't. I can't stay put here. It ain't right."

She meant it so much it felt like the very stuff of her body was alight. She was meant to go out into the dark and light it up. Not just that, but...

"Plus, us familiars ain't exactly normal pokémon. We can't ever be part of th'proper culture of the world. Some folks don't even think we're real. We got no place anywhere . . . Decidueye Arrow."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"No place anywhere..." Truffle looked to Luz, the light in his eyes dimmer than ever. An uncomfortable, thick silence filled the air around them. He had stopped turning pages long ago, and instead he took the time to study Luz. Of what little he knew of her, she was usually full of optimism and confidence. Yet, now...

"I suppose," Truffle finally said, "that makes you more similar to us than I thought."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Well don't leave me curious, partner," drawled Luz, slumping over the back of her chair. "There's a statement with a story behind it if'n I ever heard one. I'm listenin'."

Something about her opening-up had hit a nerve for him, it seemed, so Luz offered another, more gentle grin. After all, why should having the occasional offbeat perspective mean spoiling the mood? Joining God Squad would be good for her.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
[Content warning: depression and suicide]

Truffle tried to mirror the smile, but it was the emptiest one he'd ever given. "I'm afraid there's... not much that I think to divulge," Truffle said. "Prior to the... prior to joining Joule and Maple, I was but a simple Decidueye with some talent for fighting and protecting. Though, I fear my talents were not perfect. I..." Something in his expression darkened. He didn't like talking about this, yet Luz had opened up, so perhaps so should he. "...Lost my family, you see," he explained.

"My daughter... and my beloved. One, then the other." The silence was loud. He could hear his own breathing, soft as it was. His voice was even, but there was something stirring beneath the motionless lake. "I lost them... to themselves. First my daughter. And then, later, my mate... the grief overtook her." He closed his eyes. His mind had gone elsewhere, but it returned after a pause. "She followed. I did not."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Luz winced. And she'd just been talking about ending her life. Stars... Ought she to hug him? She wanted to, but he might not appreciate it. But then, she wasn't one to do nothing.

"Fella, that's a weight t'bear I can hardly imagine," she said, pawing the back of her neck. "I don't 'spect you tell a lotta folks about it..."

For once, Luz didn't know the right play. He'd know that she'd have no life experience as such to draw on, but he'd spoken up all the same...

"I guess you didn't have a place after that either, huh? Is that how come ya joined God Squad, t'find a place? A purpose, even."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"I sought them out to search for... something dangerous," Truffle admitted. "But I said aloud that it was for the sake of saving others, so they perhaps would not have to fall into such despair as to suffer a fate similar. My powers... manifested strongly as one of protection and guardianship. I am God Squad's ultimate shield." He sighed, looking a little more relaxed. "Over time, I came to realize that I also had to protect myself. Joule and I talked. A great deal. I quite literally owe my life to him... So I will do everything I can to save his now."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Luz sucked her teeth. "Truffle, I know what a death wish is."

Well, she'd said it. Why stop there?

"Fer however long it was, that must've been a wretched time fer ya. But now you're livin' up to the claim you made in th'first place, and I reckon that makes you as heroic as any of 'em. I believe you when y'say you'll go as far as y'can t'save Joule."

She grinned. "So will I."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Luz cocked her head. "What're you sayin', exactly? You're done tryin' to make the sacrifice play, an' now ya fear Arceus is about to bite dust?"

She drummed her claws on the table, frowning. "Can't say as I think it's a bad way t'go, savin' th'entire planet, but ain't there another means of takin' the hit?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"I hear ya. Don't have any bright ideas myself, but . . . I understand what yer sayin'."

Luz shivered, wondering how the populace of Cibus would take the loss of their creator-deity, and how Joule would take having slaim him, should he recover from his fugue. A dreadful business all round.

"You probably think I don't understand that God Squad has its share of painful an' ugly encounters," she said. "I get it, though. Facin' this awful situation as bravely as you are... You, Truffle, specifically you... That's the height of heroism fer me. I still hope I get t'walk by yer side on other worlds when this is over, whatever such journeys may hold."

She may have been imagining it, but the room seemed a little brighter.

"I wanna be a Wanderin' Light with you."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Luz nodded, satisfied. It wasn't an invitation, but it was friendly. Good enough for now. "Thank ye kindly fer yer time, partner," she said, a little softer than her normal pep.

She stood, hesitated for a moment before leaving, and then . . . didn't. She rounded the table, leaned down, and wrapped Truffle in a hug.

She didn't say anything. It'd only spoil it.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Truffle made a sound, somewhere between a gasp and a startled squawk, but it was a soft one. He held his wings out, like he didn't know what to do, and froze there.

Finally, he brought his wings down and around Luz, his feathers nearly completely covering her. The ultimate shield, too, said nothing.

He trembled a little. And perhaps he said something, but Luz wouldn't be able to hear it.

Last edited:

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Luz let Truffle maintain the embrace for as long as he needed. Fella probably didn't get enough hugs. Stars knew most folks didn't.

"Whatever happens," she said, quietly, "you done good. Y'best believe it."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Truffle again said nothing, but after what he'd wished had lasted longer, he finally relented and let her go. What Luz saw then was the Decidueye with that energetic, powerful mask completely gone. His eyes were tired but still had light in them. His feathers had been frazzled and ruffled from getting up close to her, but he didn't make an effort to adjust them, not yet. But above it all, he seemed somehow lighter and relieved. Amid all of God Squad trying to march forward, he had bottled so much inside to keep up with them. But perhaps now, he would go home and rest with Leg a while and... merely be there.

He nodded quietly to her, then looked at his book again. He had a feeling Luz had places to go, things to do, the wandering light as it were, but that was fine. They all would gather again to fight Joule, after all.

"...Before you..." Truffle found himself saying, "before you go, I'd..." He chuckled a little. It had been a while. But somehow, being able to talk about it to someone like Luz, the way she seemed to understand despite perhaps having no way to... "My name," he said, his words coming out in a stumble, and yet he'd said them so easily.

"My name is Anthus."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Anthus."

Luz spoke his name with a smile. "It's my pleasure to know you, Decidueye Anthus."

She rose again to leave, and to leave Anthus to his book, happy to have given him a moment's comfort. She had a feeling he deserved more.

<><><><><>​

Last edited:
R10 - Birb & Dergin

Ambyssin

Gotta go back. Back to the past.
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
In trying to figure out what a good course of action would be, Bahamut decided that the study might house a book better describing the architecture of this Tree of Life thing. He was particularly interested in what might've changed about it since Cibus' Dark Matter had been dealt with. Could there have been a vulnerability that Eternatus could take advantage of. He'd have to find out.

At least, that was his hope. But on floating into the study he found it was already occupied by a certain lugia shade. Who appeared to be looking over a book of his own. "Do you need help with something?" Bahamut asked. "You look confused."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom