• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Poppin' Arms Guild ~ Infirmary

Status
Not open for further replies.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa pressed the heel of one forepaw into her face and tried to swallow her own feelings.

"Astrid, until y'can learn to keep yer radiance in check, I'm gonna worry myself senseless every time you fire it up that you won't fuckin' survive it. I gotta be able to depend on yer survival to depend on you in battle, and right now I can't."

I can't bear to put your life at risk.

"Astrid, I need you to stop doin' this. Stop puttin' yerself in the infirmary at the end of every fight. Please."

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
The east wing of the building was less populated than the front, leaving the hallways and rooms mostly empty of noise. Only the occasional flicker of a nearby monitor showed that time had not stopped altogether.

Astrid rose. Her legs wobbled, and it seemed that her right forepaw couldn’t bear her full weight. Perhaps it was just stiff, or perhaps she really was injured.

She didn’t care, staring out the window in silence. Out there, too, nothing moved. There were no clouds to graze across the sky.

“My… survival.” She turned. “You… don’t think I can handle it, do you?” Brisa motioned to object, but Astrid was quicker. “—No, just, listen to me for a second.”

A flicker of something—some speck of energy, too small to get a good look at—sparked off of her mane. But it was clearly not Radiance.

“From the moment I was born, I’ve been expected to exista certain way. To mingle only with certain creatures. To detest certain things. To… to conform. Not for what’s right, or for what’s needed, but because it’s supposed to be safe.

“Well, I didn’t. I fucking—” She spun around, mostly to hide her face. “—ran away instead. And now I’m an explorer and I’m happier. I don’t think I’d have been able to live with failing to take that chance.”

She stepped further away. “And… and that’s how I feel every time I step on the battlefield!”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa's eyes narrowed.

"So you're gonna keep riskin' yer life like this? Even if it hurts you? Even if it kills you?"

Her breath rattled in her throat as she clenched her jaw so hard it sent waves of pain through her skull.

"Even if it hurts me? Astrid, I..."

Don't lose your shit goddamnit keep it together get a grip get a grip

"Astrid, don't you know how I feel about you?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Guess not," muttered Brisa, looking away even as her ears started to burn.

She tried to force herself to calm down, and focused the way she'd learnt to when she needed to flush radiance and shadow from her mind and body. It helped. Just a little. But she still couldn't raise her eyes.

"I know we all risk our lives, Astrid. Y'think I don't realise the danger I'm in when I'm hittin' hard? But there's a difference between doin' yer best and treatin' yerself as expendable. You ain't expendable, Astrid. You're fuckin' indispensable. We can't lose you."

I can't lose you.

"And . . . if you make me watch you die from pushin' yerself too far past yer limits . . . it'll fuckin' ruin me."

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
Brisa said:
"I gotta be able to depend on yer survival to depend on you in battle, and right now I can't."

Brisa said:
"You're fuckin' indispensable. We can't lose you."

Only now had the sting of Brisa’s words fully set in. Yet, they were blurred further by what she’d said next. It didn’t add up. It didn’t make any sense.

Astrid stared at the floor, fighting it all back. No. No more crying, she asserted. I can’t—I have to be strong. No more crying…

Brisa said:
"And . . . if you make me watch you die from pushin' yerself too far past yer limits . . . it'll fuckin' ruin me."

She rubbed flakes of ice from her eyes and looked up.

“…R-really?”

Perhaps the gravity of the situation finally kicked in—or perhaps her injuries were taking their toll—because Astrid now found it difficult to keep standing. She steadied herself on the bed for support while staring incredulously at Brisa.

“That… can’t be right. You’re Brisa. You’re a beacon of Team Spectrum. If something happened to me, you would keep fighting. You would! N-not that anything is gonna…”

She sighed. What was the point of denying the possibility of something bad happening?

“…No matter what, you won’t ever be alone.” She spoke with finality, though she wondered if Brisa knew her well enough to see through it. “You’ve got Starr, and Curio, and… I guess, everyone! Everyone looks up to you. You’ll always have someone.”

Suddenly, she felt smaller. More vulnerable. “Brisa, I don’t want to make you sad. I’m sorry, I don’t know what I’m saying and, and I’m gonna cry like a baby if I keep droning on like this, but, I just—I don’t want you to think it’ll be the end of the world.” Her smile was hollow, and it didn’t take a perceptive individual to see it. “It’ll be okay! Really…”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
“No matter what, you won’t ever be alone. [...] Everyone looks up to you. You’ll always have someone.”
Brisa gawped at her friend. Was this dogged optimism, or something worse?

"Astrid..."

What to say? How to convince Astrid that this was ridiculous, that this was no excuse for her recklessness? Brisa tried to look into the ninetales' eyes, and despite her heartache, she managed it.

"I've already lost friends, Astrid. You mentioned Curio—she fuckin' took off one day and I ain't hardly heard from her since, 'cept to know she's okay. She ain't even the first. I don't want that to be you. I don't wanna have to let go of you. I wanna keep you by me 'til this is over."

Brisa's eyes welled up as she spoke, but she ignored it, and closed the distance to Astrid.

"I know I got friends. I even reckon some of 'em are gonna have my back until we've seen this thing through. I want you to be like that. You ain't just a face in the crowd, Astrid, you're important to me!"

Her ears were practically melting. Goddamnit.

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
Astrid balanced on four legs again with more success this time and took a step forward, voice breaking with each delicate syllable.

“Then… then… I won’t do it anymore!”

Again, energy sparked off her main, and again, and again, until it had manifested into a full current. It popped off her fur and scattered flakes of ice harmlessly around her.

“I promise!”

Her vision grew hazy, but not from tears. Discerning between certain colors became more difficult, while others grew sharper in contrast. Millions of thoughts blazed through her mind—memories, fantasies—before everything came to a complete halt. Her eyes focused once more, and Brisa stood before her.

Brisa.

I can’t do this…

I can’t hurt her… Not her…

Deep breaths. Deep breaths.

To her genuine relief, the Shadows subsided as quickly as they’d spiked, though they left her throat sore and her legs vibrating. But her anger did not subside with them. She wasted no time throwing herself onto the bed, speaking barely above a squeak. “…Happy?”

Last edited:

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa let out all the breath she had in her. She hardly dared take a breath back in until the shadows dissipated further.

"I'm... relieved. I'll be happy when you're well again. Rest up, Astrid. Please."

Astrid had promised, by some miracle, not to explode again. Gods, Brisa just hoped she wouldn't have to hold her to account for that promise.

"And, hey..." She bit her lip, and softened her voice. "I'm lookin' forward to battlin' it out with ya again, when y'got yer strength back. I'd like t'come visit ya before then, though. If you'd want that."

Please want me.

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
Astrid couldn’t bring herself to raise her head. Still, amidst her feelings, she could not lie. “…I would like that, yeah.”

A long moment passed until her voice fell to a whisper. “You’re important to me too…”

Silence hung in the room. Astrid raised her head—Brisa was gone. She’d probably walked out, thinking Astrid was asleep or something.

Left with her demons in the silence once more, it did not take long for those emotions to swirl. Two teammates—two valuable friends—had approached her about her powers. Telling her to stop. Was this how life would work, even here?

How she’d kept the tears in while facing Brisa, she had no idea. But she was in private now, and her shame had been tossed on the floor with her pillows and blanket. They flowed freely, along with every pitiful noise that conveyed to the aether how awful she felt.

<><><>​

Last edited:

Ambyssin

Gotta go back. Back to the past.
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
"Hey. So, good news and bad news." Esper hovered over a bed that was, apparently, custom-made for very large pokémon. "Or, hmm. Maybe it's bad news and bad news, in your case."

"Out with it," Bahamut growled. He was lying on his side, forelegs brushing his belly.

Esper held up the notepad. "Good news is you're not dying."

Bahamut already knew that. "And the bad news?"

"The healer person thinks you ate your badge." Esper tossed the notepad behind him, where it dissolved away in blacklight embers. It was little more than another childish prop. "They're trying to contact Chip to figure out what the thing's core is made out of, but there's a chance that by digesting it you released a bunch of nasty stuff into your insides that not even steel-typing could help with."

Bahamut's eyes darkened. "When would I have eaten my damn badge?"

"Uh, while you were sleeping?" Esper scratched his head. "Those night terrors are pretty noticeable."

"How much longer will I be stuck here?"

"Don't know." Esper shrugged. "But it's been awfully quiet around here. I think the team left to, y'know, fight stuff."

"Delightful." Bahamut lay his head back down. "Well, it's not like I'll be missed."

"Uh-huh. I'll fire that under 'Things I expected you to say.'" Esper bobbed his head as he spoke.

"If you want to help, go find someone to help deal with this issue," Bahamut barked, slamming a foreleg against the edge of the bed.

"Okay, okay. Sheesh." Esper turned and floated out of the room.

<><><>​

R9 - Risk Assessment [+ Diyem]

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
While Bahamut was still being taken care of in the infirmary, it seemed that he was suddenly going to be getting a lot of company. It started with the glowing orange flame just down the hall, and then some idle chatter from Owen and a very familiar voice, distorted and demonic as always. And then...

"Right here?"

"Yes," Zinc said. "Just this way."

"Thanks. Um, I don't really know how to treat him, but this was kind of the only place we could think of..." Owen stepped inside, then smiled and nodded at Bahamut. He was holding Diyem over his head--just a red sphere, now.

Ambyssin

Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
Bahamut had been laying on the cot with his back to the wall. He'd heard footsteps. Sensed auras. "Battle? What do you mean—"

The necrozma rolled over and saw Owen holding something... with a vaguely sinister aura. "So, you rescued Dark Matter." And that was what it really looked like. The charizard form was just for show, then. Foolish. "There was a battle... but I do not see the usual suspects getting dragged into this place." His eyes flickered orange. "Which means the team has gotten so strong I'm just a hindrance at this point. Fantastic." He looked at Diyem. "So you can send me home once you've... recovered." Or whatever it is a daemon like him needed to do.

Ambyssin

Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
"It can be both negative and the truth." Bahamut's neck cricked several times as he stretched it. "Not that it matters." His eyes turned purple. "Apparently, I was thrashing in my sleep again and somehow ate my badge. I'm experiencing some sort of... cosmic poisoning. That's how one of the healers phrased it, anyway. Though I suppose it's better than being the wall I was sleeping next to. It's not standing anymore.

"So what happened to make you shed your little charizard outfit? Unimpressed with all the vulpix and char family running around this city?"

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. weavile
  3. kommo-o
  4. noivern
  5. mothim
"You... ate your own badge?" Cabot began, shooting Bahamut an incredulous look. "How do you even manage to..."

The Cranidos trailed off, realizing it probably wasn't worth prying into. He shook his head slightly, before sitting down in a chair across Diyem's bed.

"So, Diyem, what happened exactly?" he asked. "Last time we spoke to you was before we went to fight Palkia and the others, but after that we could no longer reach you. Did Giovanni block our communications with you somehow?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom