• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Poppin' Arms ~ Cafeteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navar

Professional Mudkip Lover
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. swampert
  2. chesnaught-apron
  3. lucario-mega
"Oh, that's a nice topic!" Shiron smiled sheepishly, rubbing the back of his head. He quickly took a look around the cafeteria.

"For starters, I'm a glutton. I know it's... a bit stupid, but I like to eat. It helps me calm down."

He blushed, covering his mouth. "A-Apart from that? Let me see... ever since I became a Pokémon, I've had this huge urge to go swiming, which is, at the very least, ironic, because I can't swim all that well."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales narrowed slightly his eyes. “Ha. Yes. Thou used to be a human, right? I think I recall that detail…” He licked some more tea, then hummed in thought. “Hm, then this is evidence that changing species does not give thee instantaneous knowledge of thy new abilities nor natural instincts…”

Icetales frowned. Would Shiron have taken that sentence in the wrong way? He shook his head and flashed a small smile.

“Ah, but that is nothing that cannot be fixed, however. If thou so desire, we could go to the lake or to the beach someday and I could teach thee how to swim better.” He wagged his tails. “I used to be a terrible swimmer as a pup, but with patience and practice I have learned and improved my skills. I am confident thou could learn how to be a talented swimmer in no time, especially with thy physique.”

Navar

Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. swampert
  2. chesnaught-apron
  3. lucario-mega
"Ooh, sure!" Shiron beamed with sparkling eyes. "It's just... it sounds so cool! Having the water rubbing against my body, I mean."

Ah, that was adorable to think of, and he already pictured himself swimming. His eyes sparkled more.

"I'd be happy to! I never learned that as a human, and I live in a region that's... mostly water."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
“Mostly water… Well, then I reckon thou have an even bigger reason to learn how to swim.” Icetales chuckled. “While there is no guarantee that all our memories will be intact when we return to our worlds, perhaps thou could still bring some knowledge with thee? It would be plenty helpful, I reckon.”

Another quick lick of his tea and another cookie. The darkness inside his heart was slowly receding and his mood was brightening up. It felt good to talk about more casual topics. He should have done that more often.

“Well, I know nothing about human worlds. Care to tell me more?” He leaned forward, his eyes full of curiosity. “In exchange, I could tell thee something about my own world. I am… interested in finding out about other cultures, thou see.”

Navar

Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. swampert
  2. chesnaught-apron
  3. lucario-mega
Ah, I have to go home after this is over...

"Oh? Uh, sure! Let me see!"

Shiron wondered for a while, tapping the table. Human culture was very different, and he wondered about how they would react to the trainers. Or the gym badges, or sending teenagers to a journey across the region. Maybe not talking about that all at once would be the best option here.

"Alright, then. I'm gonna go with the easiest topic. We have trainers, people who use Pokémon to battle one another," something came to mind, and Shiron gulped. "Uh... remember that last battle with Giovanni, where he caught a bunch of us? Think that, but... not evil. Humans and Pokémon are partners where I come from."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
“Huh? Art thou talking about those strange spheres?” asked Icetales, frowning as he recalled that battle, then the cramped, dark place… and humans in Shiron’s world trapped ‘mons inside of them!

That notion spooked the fox somewhat, but apparently in Shiron’s world that was seen as a positive thing…? That thought alone was maddening, but it wasn’t his place to question it. Different takes for different worlds, or something like that.

“That is… a curious way to establish a partnership with someone,” remarked Icetales, still struggling to grasp that concept. “Huh. How does that work exactly? Is it like a contract or agreement between human and ‘mon, or… something else?”

Navar

Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. swampert
  2. chesnaught-apron
  3. lucario-mega
"Oh, yeah. It's the spheres. They're called pokéballs!"

Shirons shrugged. Of course Icetales would react like that, his culture was weird, even more so now that he was a Marshtomp, and getting caught in that battle only served to aggravate it.

"Anyway... different people do it in different ways. Sometimes the mon chooses to be by the humans' side, some... some of us catch by force, I won't deny that. And I hate that, to be honest."

He sighed before continuing. "Some of us don't even catch! There's people who just like the company, and don't use pokéballs. As for me? I... didn't have much company."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
“How sad. I am sorry thou did not have much company, truly.” Icetales sighed. “I used to be a loner, too. Where I come from, there is not much appreciation toward noblemons, thou see? I got lucky I found some welcoming goodmons and good ladies, but it was just that — luck.”

He leaned back and mused over a particular detail about Shiron’s explanation. “Thou said… catch by force. That sounds very much like… slavery…”

The Ninetales’s eyes narrowed until they became mere slits, then he shook his head. “Then, it appears that thy world is not all that much different from mine. There are cases of slavery among some noble circuits, which are… horrifying. Goodmons and, ha, ‘lower-classes’ forced to crawl through the dirt for those dark-hearted folks…”

His fur stood on end, but he managed to keep his voice steady. “I… loathe that, but at least there are some changes ongoing. It is a slow process, but… I pray that we will manage to reach a point in which all ‘mons are seen the same way, without prejudice.” He stared at Shiron. “And… I pray that those humans who enslave ‘mons will stop being an issue, too.”

Navar

Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. swampert
  2. chesnaught-apron
  3. lucario-mega
"I just didn't manage to get any friends. Most of the other... orphans bullied me, and my parents didn't really help either."

Shiron whined, gulping down another bite.

"As for the whole 'catching Pokémon by force' thing... it's frowned upon. And not many people do that, which is good, I guess. I'm not sure what I'll do once I get back home, but I don't think I'll be a trainer. If anything, I'm enjoying..." Shiron looked at his body, and continued. "This."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
"I just didn't manage to get any friends. Most of the other... orphans bullied me, and my parents didn't really help either."

Shiron whined, gulping down another bite.

At hearing all of that, Icetales reached out for Shiron with a tail drained of its frigid energy and patted his back, trying to reassure him. "This is truly tragic, but... at least here thou have friends, yes?" He smiled warmly. "And... I would be most elated to be thy friend, if thou desire that as well. Thou seem a swell fellow."

"As for the whole 'catching Pokémon by force' thing... it's frowned upon. And not many people do that, which is good, I guess. I'm not sure what I'll do once I get back home, but I don't think I'll be a trainer. If anything, I'm enjoying..." Shiron looked at his body, and continued. "This."

Icetales followed his gaze and his free tails quivered. "So, thou... would prefer to stay as a 'mon..." He hummed in thought. That was something they had in common, with the Ninetales himself not desiring to be... himself.

"Well, I do not know how humans look like, but... art thou sure thou would be willing to abandon thy original body permanently? I mean, I do not know how I would feel if I was turned into... I do not know, an Ursaring or something like that, but I reckon that I would feel... awkward."

Navar

Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. swampert
  2. chesnaught-apron
  3. lucario-mega
Shiron smiled at the pat and wnet out to rub the tail, but backed away.

"Of course, I'd love to be your friend!" Shiron beamed, smiling brightly. "I honestly was trying to approach you to have a chat for some time, but uh... y'know, battling all the time and stuff! It made that a bit hard to do."

"Well, I do not know how humans look like, but... art thou sure thou would be willing to abandon thy original body permanently? I mean, I do not know how I would feel if I was turned into... I do not know, an Ursaring or something like that, but I reckon that I would feel... awkward."
He whined again, looking down at the ground. What a weird conversation, to say the least.

"...My former body didn't feel like me, I guess. But now? Now I feel... free. Like this is the real me. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I'm happier now. My life back then was awful, and I'd gladly escape it, even in a new body."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
"Of course, I'd love to be your friend!" Shiron beamed, smiling brightly. "I honestly was trying to approach you to have a chat for some time, but uh... y'know, battling all the time and stuff! It made that a bit hard to do."

Icetales nodded in understanding. "I see. Well, it is good that we got this brief moment, then." He chuckled. "These moments have become rarer and rarer as of late. Alas, I suppose this is what happens when a world is threatened, hm?" Then, he smiled with confidence. "Well! All the more reason to work hard to save it, so that there will be many more of these moments. Not only for us, but for the inhabitants of Cibus, too."

"...My former body didn't feel like me, I guess. But now? Now I feel... free. Like this is the real me. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I'm happier now. My life back then was awful, and I'd gladly escape it, even in a new body."

Well, that was an interesting statement, to say the least. So Shiron was more comfortable in his new body? Granted, the Ninetales knew that the former human would have had to part ways from it at some point, but he preferred to not spoil the moment and let him enjoy his new body, as long as it lasted. "...That is good to hear, that thou art feeling better in thy new body." He smiled brightly. "And art thou looking forward to thy evolution, yes? That is a unique and bolstering event. I know about that, I basically evolved twice: once in my homeworld, and a second time here. It feels... good."

Navar

Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. swampert
  2. chesnaught-apron
  3. lucario-mega
"I see. Well, it is good that we got this brief moment, then." He chuckled. "These moments have become rarer and rarer as of late. Alas, I suppose this is what happens when a world is threatened, hm?" Then, he smiled with confidence. "Well! All the more reason to work hard to save it, so that there will be many more of these moments. Not only for us, but for the inhabitants of Cibus, too."
"Yeah. I'm gonna try and help the team more. Starting with bringing everyone back, and I'll continue to support our teammates. It's... the least I can do. For everyone."

Shiron smiled. The conversation seemed to be more hopeful now, which he enjoyed a lot. At least it helped him shove away bad thoughts, so he was glad to be having this talk with Icetales, and regretted not doing it earlier.
"And art thou looking forward to thy evolution, yes? That is a unique and bolstering event. I know about that, I basically evolved twice: once in my homeworld, and a second time here. It feels... good."
"Oh yes! I can't wait to evolve!" he cheered, smiling more. "I-It's weird to me, actually. Humans don't have this. We don't 'evolve', unless you consider growing as a person to be an evolution... but I'm excited anyway!"

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
"Yeah. I'm gonna try and help the team more. Starting with bringing everyone back, and I'll continue to support our teammates. It's... the least I can do. For everyone."

Shiron smiled.

Ah, yes. That smile was precisely what Icetales was looking for. He felt his heart brimming with joy, glad to have been able to cheer up his comrade.

“That is the right spirit!” he exclaimed, his tails wagging even faster and scattering sparks of Radiance. “Never give up hope, Sir Shiron. Together… we shall prevail. Thou have my word on that.”

"Oh yes! I can't wait to evolve!" he cheered, smiling more. "I-It's weird to me, actually. Humans don't have this. We don't 'evolve', unless you consider growing as a person to be an evolution... but I'm excited anyway!"

Icetales nodded. “Ah, yes. I am aware of ‘growth’. That is the very same phenomenon that happens to trees.” He tilted his head. “Most unusual, but each world has its own rules. I mean, my homeworld is somewhat close to this, but also not the same? The amount of magic of this world is… much lower compared to mine, and they use something called ‘technology’ instead of sorcery and crystal machines. I took some time just to learn how badges work — we do not have those where I come from.”

Navar

Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. swampert
  2. chesnaught-apron
  3. lucario-mega
"I never even thought there was more than one world..."

Shiron took a look around the cafeteria and laughed. "If I told anyone back home that a place like this exists, they would think I'm crazy! But honestly? It was the right choice to come here. Even after seeing... all those deaths."

He slapped both cheeks and went back to his peppy self. "There's no magic where I come from either, so that's... something. Maybe one day I could visit your world?"

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
“Oh, I was aware that other worlds existed. It is just… that my world does not have the means to travel to other worlds under normal circumstances. It requires an astounding amount of energy to travel into other worlds.”

Which is what makes Father so frightening and threatening. I wonder what is the true extent of his power, if he can open rifts across the dimensions with such ease…

“And visiting my world someday?” Icetales paused for a few seconds, knowing well that his world wasn’t exactly a good place to visit. Not yet. “That would be lovely, yes. There are a few things that I must arrange before that moment, but sure. If there was some means to come to my world, then I would be elated to show its beauties.”

Thinking about home brought a wave of nostalgia… and pain. Oh, why did things have to go south?

“And… I would be most interested to see a human and see with mine own eyes how they look like. If I ever came to visit thy world, wouldst thou be my guide?” He leaned forward, his eyes gleaming with interest and curiosity.

Last edited:

Navar

Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. swampert
  2. chesnaught-apron
  3. lucario-mega
"Of course, of course! Just have to be careful, Pokémon don't really speak back where I'm from."

Shiron stood up and yawned. "Thank you for this chat, Icetales. I'm... not sure if you share the sentiment, but I consider you my friend now. And I hope that things will turn out fine, for both of us."

<><><><><><><><><><><><>

R10 - The Knight from Fetcheim

kyeugh

you gotta feel your lines
Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
---​
Cooking and combat were not so different, Lauchs discovered.

There was a bit less punching and kicking, to be sure, but many of the elements that had thrilled him about the warrior's life were present in cooking, too. Chopping wasn't quite the same thing as slashing, but practicing his technique—trying to get the slices just right—was sort of like sword practice, if he thought about it.

He'd started his tenure at the kitchen preparing salads meticulously to the recipe, but as he became more confident in his skills, he began to experiment with his compositions. It was like the difference between drilling techniques with his sword instructor and actually engaging in combat on the field. In both cases, he'd learned the essentials by the book and developed his intuition, and then once he was in the field with no holds barred, the chaos didn't feel so chaotic anymore. He knew how to play the competing elements off one another to deliver the outcome he desired. Before that outcome had been a defeated opponent—now it was a particularly tasty salad.

... Or maybe this metaphor was a little contrived. Was he trying to convince himself that cooking was still a legitimate use of his time, that it was okay to have stepped away from the fighting and the glory? Ultimately, he couldn't delude himself—cooking and combat were very different in an important way. Combat was about destruction: inflicting pain, neutralizing threats, hacking things to pieces. Cooking, on the other hand, was about creation, the synthesis of ingredients to create a harmonious whole. As a duckling, Lauchs had thought his father's job ruling the kingdom seemed horribly dull, but now, so many years later, he was finally beginning to see the appeal. There was real fulfillment to be found in putting things together rather than tearing them apart.

Besides, it meant he got to be near the leeks.

He didn't particularly miss the fighting and heroics—he'd had a lifetime of that business already. And while working at the salad bar had given him plenty of time to introspect, he was beginning to grow a little lonely. Chopping vegetables and tossing salads wasn't the most social of activities. That's why, when one Nathaniel the Great caught his eye one day in the cafeteria, Lauchs didn't hesitate to shove his utensils into the sink, frantically wash his hands, then shout across the room—

"Nate! My good friend! Long time no see, eh? How's it going?"

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Rocky was still leading Nate all over town. Maybe he'd thought hiding out in the Guild would be enough to make his host give up and head home, but Nate was pissed and not about to let that stop him. He thought he'd managed to corner his familiar in one of the study rooms, but Rocky'd managed to give him the slip again. Bastard might've figured out how to teleport or some shit; it sure seemed like it.

Realistically, the best thing to do would be to head home and wait it out; Rocky was bound to show up eventually. But the thought of sitting around and waiting for that asshole to get bored of being a dickface was more infuriating than trying and failing to catch him. Nate would figure out where he'd gone off to later. For now, he was hungry, and while he didn't like the Guild cafeteria any better than the rest of the place, fuck it, at east it was close.

It was hard to say whether eating at the cafeteria was worse than at one of the restaurants around town. Unlike most of those, it was actually built with small pokémon in mind, maybe because the guildmaster was one himself. And there wasn't a line for the small-pokémon section, because practically everybody in Destiny Village was fucking huge, so he could load up fast, and he didn't have to deal with juggling a plate that was nearly as big as he was. But somehow, after he'd loaded up his tiny tray at the tiny food bar and taken it to a tiny seat at one of the unoccupied tiny tables, he was feeling grumpier than ever.

Nate was well into his fourth tiny slice of pizza when someone fucking shouted at him from God knew where. He choked, coughed until his eyes watered, and glared around the cafeteria. Who the fuck was that?

For a second he thought it must be Rocky, pulling some kind of joke on him, but no, even Rocky didn't get that loud. But he didn't think he recognized--wait. Was that... Was that that fucking farfetch'd? Who'd shown up and been all weird back in Treasure Town? He hadn't seen the guy in fucking ages. "What the fuck are you doing here?" he demanded as the farfetch'd approached his table.

kyeugh

you gotta feel your lines
Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
Lauchs had somehow forgotten how foul-mouthed the little kip could be. His face slackened in shock, then lifted into a broad smile. "Hoho. You're doing as well as ever, I see." Now on the customer side of the salad bar, he scooped some lettuce and a hearty pile of sliced red onions into a bowl, then carried his food over to the table. His little tail wiggled as he took a seat across from Nate. "Hope you don't mind the intrusion. It's been a while since I've seen a familiar face. I've been working here at the cafeteria for some weeks now, honing the old fine motor skills. Back breaking work, I tell you. Nothing harder." He shoveled an unreasonable portion of salad into his mouth, but didn't let it stop him from prattling on. "You look a lot less green than you did the last time we met. More experienced, somehow. Dare I say wiser? You'll have to fill me in on the details, of course."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom