• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Pokemon: Shifted Earth

Pronouns
he/him

Pokemon: Shifted Earth​

Chapter 1​

In a Brisbane police station’s break room, Officer Ryan Terwin pressed a few buttons on a coffee machine.

He turned around as he heard footsteps behind him. Police Chief Edward handed him a stapled together stack of papers.

“Here. New materials for your case.”

Ryan picked up his coffee and began to read. The contents were more than a little depressing.

Video Transcript – “Pichu Challenge 2028! (TRY NOT TO LAUGH)”

The scene opens on a grassy field in a deserted city park in Australia. A group of college-aged students are talking amongst each other. They show signs of being inebriated, with empty beer cans near them. A male, presumably the cameraman, speaks.

Male #1: “Hey, guys! Anyone who can pick up this Pichu here without getting shocked gets $200!”

A second student looks around, checking for any passers-by.

Male #2: All clear.

One of the female students approaches the Pichu.

Female #1: “Hello, little guy.”

She picks the Pichu up before bringing it to the table. It struggles initally, but finding itself unable to escape, discharges some electricity from its cheeks. Her friends laugh.

Male #2: “Look at that! Lauren’s already failed the challenge!”

The female student hands the Pichu off to another student. This student pinches the Pichu’s static pouches with a slight twist, leading to them getting shocked.

Male #1: “Daniel, hand him off to me! Lemme see how you like this, bud.”

The cameraman puts the phone down, camera facing up. It shows him pulling the Pichu’s tail as it shierks in pain.

Male #2: “Wimp. You didn’t even pinch his cheeks!”

Male #1: “Hah! Let’s--”

The Pichu looses a Thundershock, hitting the group of students. They retch and vomit for a while before standing up.

Male #1: “Oh, fuck! Let’s get outta here!”

The recording ends.

Officer Ryan sighed as he put down the stack of papers. These dumb college students had decided that manhandling a Pokemon for internet clout was worth more than their lives.

Only a month into the Shift, and then this happens, he told himself.

At least they were dumb enough to post it up with comments. “Has the video been taken down yet?” he asked.

“Unfortunately, no,” Edward replied. “It’s still up. Worse is, they’ve been getting a lot of likes and comments on that video. The good news is, these kids were dumb enough to leave links to their Facebook accounts, among other things, in the description. We’ve got in touch with their parents now.”

Ryan sighed. Even with super-powered creatures around, his job wasn’t getting any easier. “I guess they’ll start with the underage drinking first,” he muttered to his partner, Neil. “Grab them for that, then find out what else they were doing – apart from the abuse and drunkeness.”

Edward nodded. “There’s also the question of that Pichu.”

“What about it?” Ryan asked, sipping scalding hot coffee. He smiled as it burned his tongue. Anything to forget the insanity the world was going through, with fantastical monsters roaming the world.

“Well, some animal control workers found it. They’ve been trying to care for it at an animal shelter,” Neil said. “That’s what I heard, anyway. It’s not far from here.”

“Oh.” Ryan put his coffee down. Frankly, he wouldn’t expect anything less.

“Man, I can’t imagine what they’d do with it. Quite irresponsible to release a creature like that out into the wilds.” Neil shook his head. “These Pokemon have been out here for only a few months. Quite a lot of them are still scared and confused. Not to mention they know so little about our world.”

Ryan said nothing as he kept reading the report. While the video had gone viral mere hours after it was posted, with billions upon billions of views, a little more than a quarter of the three-thousand comments were rightfully horrified. The Pokemon who had arrived on Earth were declared sapient beings only a week ago, with a basic bill of rights already drawn up and passed for them.

He dreaded speaking to raucous teenagers with little regard for others. Luckily that dreaded talk and phone call with the parents would be some days away.

“Where’s the shelter that Pichu was taken to?” he asked. “I want to call them, see how that Pichu’s holding up.”

“It’s the ‘RSPCA Brisbane Animal Care Campus’, Edward replied. “Sure, call them if you must.”

Ryan dialed the number and pressed ‘call’. The too-cheery-voice of the receptionist came through. “Hello! This is the Brisbane Animal Care Campus. How may I help you today?”

“I’m Officer Ryan Terwin, calling to discuss a Pichu that was brought in recently in an abuse case.”

“Yes, we’ve got the little guy here. He’s sparking every time one of the workers approach him. What do you want to speak to us for?”

“I want to speak to the Pichu. Ask a Psychic-Type to be there too, for translation purposes.”

“Hmm,” The receptionist sounded concerned. “We don’t have any Pokemon of our own, but there are a few Psychic-types wandering the streets outside. Asking them would be easy enough. When can you come in?”

“I can be there in two day’s time, at the most. What time would work best for you?”

“Let’s see.” Ryan heard some keys tapping on a keyboard. “Thursday, 1:30pm?”

“That works for me. Goodbye!”

“Bye!” The receptionist said. Ryan only heard a click and a dial tone before he hung up.

“Right. That’s settled then.” His shift was over. Sure, having coffee late messed with his digestion – but it was better than getting tired at a bad time.

He started his car’s engine and drove back home.

“Dad!” Marcus shouted as Ryan came in.

“Hello, son. How was your day at school?

“Great! We got to see some wild Pokemon running around in the fields near the school. Mr. Davies wouldn’t let us get near them!”

“Now, now, son. I know you saw your dream come true – but Pokemon can be dangerous. Mr. Davies wanted you to be safe. You hear me?”

Marcus pouted. “Dad! I saw you help save some Pokemon on the news in the First Days! They were really happy for you to help!”

“They were. But not all Pokemon are like that. Some of them can get angry easily, or hurt you if you hurt their children. You understand?”

Marcus nodded.

“Alright!” Sandra said. “We’re getting takeaway tonight. What’ll it be?”

“Hello honey!” Ryan said with a chuckle. “Let’s see. Pizza for tonight?”

“That sounds great!” Sandra replied. “What would you two like?”

After some arguing, the family settled on a meat-lover’s and a cheese pizza. A small amount of garlic bread was also added on, for tomorrow’s breakfast.

As they ate, Sandra began, “So, how was your day, Ryan?”

He sighed. “Not too much. We did get some older children causing trouble in the park.”

“Oh? Marcus replied. “What were they doing?”

Ryan shook his head. “You’re nine years old, Marcus. That stuff isn’t for you to know.”

“Dad! Please!”

Ryan sighed. “They were drinking beer. Of course, they weren’t supposed to.” He decided to leave out the most concerning part of the crime out; his son didn’t need to know about that.

“See, Dad? I know that wasn’t too hard. Besides, you catch bad guys and stop them!”

Sandra ruffled Marcus’ hair. “He does, honey. If you want more stories from each other, finish your meal first.”

Ryan frowned as he sat in front of the TV. There wasn’t much on the news; since the teenagers hadn;t been caught, there was no stories on about them.

A reporter droned on about the case of a teacher in Los Angeles attempting to teach young Pokemon to read.

“It’s quite an interesting idea,” she said. “If these things are capable of reason, imagine what they could do!”

He tuned out the questions from the reporters.

The truth was, he had little idea how to deal with this. He sighed. The day was likely turning into a month of long work.

Last edited:

kintsugi

golden scars | pfp by sun
the warmth of summer in the songs you write
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. silvally-grass
  2. lapras
  3. golurk
  4. booper-kintsugi
  5. meloetta-kint-muse
  6. meloetta-kint-dancer
  7. murkrow
  8. yveltal
Hi again! I was really curious about the direction of this universe from your other oneshot, and I was looking forward to seeing what the rest of the humans would be doing.

I see that I might've missed the point on the oneshot, actually--my bad, lol. I fully admit sometimes things go way over my head, and I'm pretty hit or miss at ascertaining author intent. In this version it's a lot more clear that there are a lot of people who'd disagree with Tony and Cody, and at least for a first glance into the universe I think it's a bit easier to understand the angle you were going for here. It's horrible but, I mean, honestly kind of believable that a bunch of kids would do this, ugh; I'm surprised that only a quarter of the video commenters were horrified, but yeah honestly that kind of tracks for sensationalism. It's a pessimistic version of the world but not really one that I find unrealistic.

Ryan and Edward are really helpful in grounding this universe a bit more, and making it clear that there are bad actors in the world but also reasonable people--having the alternative viewpoints to "kids kicking the shit out of pichu" or "man shooting purrloin to death" helps make the world feel more complete, I think, and I like this as an addition to give that alternative side of the universe. And it's clear that Ryan's not 100% in it for the pokemon welfare ("clout was worth more than their lives" and not "pretty fucked to be bullying people"), but he still calls to see if the pichu is okay, and I get the feeling that he's going to be spending a lot more time with the pichu in the future. I liked the family details that you had in this one, where he's trying to shield his son from this situation while still trying to enforce that pokemon can be either dangerous or kind; it's a tough hand to be a parent of a child and then have a bunch of crazy superpowered aliens dropped into your backyard. It was a lot easier to see in this version that there won't always be right answers.

I liked the little details like them getting garlic bread for dinner or arguing about what kind of toppings they'd like on their pizza, or Ryan grinning when the coffee scalds his tongue because, truly, what else do you do when you watch kids bully a rat for clout. It makes everyone feel grounded, and I'd love to see more of those details in the narration moving forward.
“It’s quite an interesting idea,” she said. “If these things are capable of reason, imagine what they could do!”
I'm curious about this as a closing line! It seems like they're still really early into this cohabitation period (it's been a month?), and they're used to the idea of pokemon types (since Ryan knows to ask for a psychic-type translator), but they haven't really considered that other pokemon are capable of reason yet? Kinda tracks tbh; if nothing else, the past few years have shown that society's a little slow at adapting to paradigm-altering changes.

I really like Ryan as a sympathetic viewpoint character here, and I'm curious what issues he'll run into with this moving forward. As a premise for a storyline I think this one's pretty cool, and having a main character who's a little less opaque than Tony/Cody helps a lot with understanding the morally grey parts of this world. Hopefully they'll be able to find a middle ground, but oh no, somehow I doubt it.

There wasn’t much on the news; since the teenagers hadn;t been caught, there was no stories on about them.
(I think you want 'hadn't' here)

Pronouns
he/him
I'm glad you enjoyed it!

First off, yes, I did want this to be much more optimistic and believable in how Earth would react if Pokemon suddenly became real. Ryan's someone who has seen absolute chaos in the first days, so he's not too pleased (but since things are starting to calm down, he'
s much more open).

Not everyone is familiar with Pokemon in this 'verse. Ryan only knows some of the knowledge due to his son being a huge fan of the Pokemon games and show. Everything else he tried to learn from fan-wikis or YouTube videos. This is why Earth is so familar with Pokemon types but not vice versa. The Pokemon are struggling to adapt to a world that is quite scared and confused too.

Lauren, Daniel, and the 3rd student would get some form of punishment, probably juvie hall in Australia. Ryan is described as being assigned to speak to them and their parents. Writing these reactions might take time. The video was explicitly described as going viral, which means Ryan and the other officers might be dealing with more of this in the future.

A front-line worker for the theme of a world changed beyond imagination was a reasonable choice for me to show how everything is changing - either for better or worse.
I really like Ryan as a sympathetic viewpoint character here, and I'm curious what issues he'll run into with this moving forward. As a premise for a storyline I think this one's pretty cool, and having a main character who's a little less opaque than Tony/Cody helps a lot with understanding the morally grey parts of this world. Hopefully they'll be able to find a middle ground, but oh no, somehow I doubt it.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm going for! Ryan does hold a few things left over from the pre-Shift times, as well as some regret for his actions during the most chaotic parts of the Shift. Despite being a police officer there are times where he has no context or training to face a particular situation.

Also, a Pichu's thunder shock is not powerful enough to do anything more than act as a stun-gun, which is why the students survived.

Last edited:

kyeugh

you gotta feel your lines
Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
chapter 1

hey, welcome to the forum! your posts on the discord about this story have been intriguing so i figured i'd pop in and check it out.

i know fics have been written before about pokémon suddenly crossing over into the real world—one of our moderators, Dragonfree, has written one such fic—but i haven't actually read all that many of them, so this is still a pretty novel concept to me. i like the idea of a perspective character who's not, like, a super pokémon nerd whose dreams are coming true, but who is still obligated to deal with the whole thing anyway as a consequence of his job. in particular he gets has to deal with the more unsavory aspects of the event, which i can definitely see being interesting.

what jumped out at me about this initial chapter was the very down-to-earth humanity of ryan and his family. there are a lot of personal touches here, like their arguments over pizza toppings and his cageyness about sharing details with his son. you paint a strong image of an average guy whose world has been turned upside down by this whole thing and who is trying his best to stay on top of it. i liked the way that his son is basically having the time of his life, being a big pokémon fan. it was cute and felt real.

on that note i feel like there are some sorta funny implications to explore with this setup. obviously not everyone's pokémon knowledge is equal—it's sorta amusing to imagine a world where you might have real cause to hire a "pokémon consultant" who just has a ton of knowledge about the pokémon franchise, lol. so many millenial-gen z cuspers were probably singing to the heavens at that.

aside from that, i'm not really sure what to expect from the story so far. this was sort of a simply introduction to the character and the immediate world situation and it doesn't leave you with much of an idea about what will happen next. the chapter closes on the suggestion that there are people attempting to do... something with pokémon? teach them to read, obviously, but to what end? are they trying to integrate them as citizens? maybe train them for intellectual labor? i feel like this news scene might have been used to provide a bit of insight into what exactly it is that humanity is going to do about this whole situation, aside from handling isolated crimes as they arise. i also wonder where these pokémon came from, exactly. if they're coming from the game or anime worlds, it's a bit curious that no one had tried to teach them to read before.

small thing, but something i wasn't sure about was the video script. i feel like it would have been more effective to just describe the video normally rather than using the pseudo-script format. i found it a bit jarring going between the dialogue and the italicized action descriptions, and i wasn't sure what it added exactly.

anyway, interesting stuff so far. it's short and sweet but you set up pretty quickly and left me with a strong impression of the main character, which is good. looking forward to seeing where it goes—good luck with writing!
Only a month into the Shift, and then this happens, he told himself.
shift should be lowercase here. you might want to italicize everything before the last comma, too, to make it clear that it's a thought.

Even with super-powered creatures around, his job wasn’t getting any easier
i found this sentence a little weird. the word "even" here sort of implies that he expected the creatures would make his job easier, which i don't quite follow.

“Well, some animal control workers found it. They’ve been trying to rehabilitate it at an animal shelter,” Neil said.
why does it need to be rehabilitated? it seemed like the teenagers were mostly just pissing it off.

Ryan said nothing as he kept reading the report. While the video had gone viral mere hours after it was posted, with billions upon billions of views, a little more than a quarter of the three-thousand comments were rightfully horrified.
billions of views feels like a lot! especially if pokémon are running amok everywhere, you'd kind of expect way more interesting stuff to be happening in the world than some kids getting zapped, right?

The Pokemon who had arrived on Earth were declared sapient beings only a week ago, with a basic bill of rights already drawn up and passed for them.
this is pretty interesting, i'm keen to hear more about this. i don't think it's impossible something like this could happen in response to such a fantastical event, but it would certainly be very noteworthy. curious how it unfolded exactly.

The too-cheery-voice of the receptionist came through.
you don't need the second hyphen here.

“We don’t have any Pokemon of our own, but there are a few Psychic-types wandering the streets outside. Asking them would be easy enough. When can you come in?”
lol, this is funny to imagine. "hey you, random guy. yeah, you. we need you for something, c'mere."

A small amount of garlic bread was also added on, for tomorrow’s breakfast.
that is absolutely radical and i respect it.

There wasn’t much on the news; since the teenagers hadn;t been caught,
oops, stray semicolon here in "hadn't" where you want an apostrophe.

Pronouns
he/him
small thing, but something i wasn't sure about was the video script. i feel like it would have been more effective to just describe the video normally rather than using the pseudo-script format. i found it a bit jarring going between the dialogue and the italicized action descriptions, and i wasn't sure what it added exactly.
Well, it was meant to be a police transcript of the video, not the actual thing.

Top Bottom