• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Nestball Testall - A Demo on Forumventures

Opener

Meridian

local liminal entity
Pronouns
any/all
eAU84M5.png

There's an open PC Alcove open.
As you sit down the computer terminal whirrs gently, just barely audible at all.
Once logged in you navigate to what you came to do.

IfLFKTR.png

Before you can search for open adoptions you need to choose a type to search for.​
[x] Grass, Fire, or Water Types​
[x] Other Types​

this should also be a good demo and entry into forumventures (aka quests) for those unfamiliar. this one won't really have a huge plot. it was something to mess with, but is now a loose 'prequel' to the next pokemon one I'll run here

How does a forumventure work? It's fairly simple!
  • you as the reader have an influence over the narrative via commands, like an interactive text adventure
  • without commands as to the next action(s) of the character(s), the story doesn't really proceed
  • some of these interactive narratives go by the most voted option, and some take any / all commands submitted
  • not all narratives provide pre-written options, in some you have to write out a command yourself (these are called write-ins)
  • just because there's pre-written options doesnt mean that you cant do a write-in. in fact, some forumventures may lack pre-written options and may be driven entirely by write-in
For this forumventure most updates will be purely voting from the options I'm providing

Last edited:

Meridian

local liminal entity
Pronouns
any/all
Hey there, just an update on the thread. We don't have the Tally Vote Plugin, so a portion of this adventure is currently moot.
However, I still want to get the practice where I can, and also introduce people to the medium.
So expect updates to continue, just disregard the original author's note

At this time I'm closing voting so I can do the next update.

[X] Other Types won the vote.

Reactions: K_S
Pick A Type 1

Meridian

local liminal entity
Pronouns
any/all
The top of the next page displays a few sample adoption listings.

TRDemoVer%20Page%2002.png

At a glance each of the profiles looks to be of a pokemon that was only recently brought in as a wild mon.​
Gastrel - The Spitting Bird Pokemon
Level 13 Male
Jolly, "Highly curious"
Mienshao - The Martial Arts Pokemon
Level 31 Female
Hasty, "Stress Evolution"
Comite - The Meteorite Pokemon
Level 6 Genderless
Sassy, "Likes to relax"
From here you could easily take a look at their profile, and even fill out adoption forms.

The option to scroll down and pick one of the types and see the listings from there still remains..​
select a listing for more info said:
[x] Gastrel
[x] Mienshao
[x] Comite
select a type to search for said:
[x] (Pick One) Type (Grass, Fire, Water will be ignored)

For this one you're welcome to vote for one of each option. I'll more than likely just stick with the most voted option of either, but I may do the most voted of both.

Hey there! I've been wanting to resume this for a while, really since I'd meant to get to this update from when the last had enough votes to do it.

I'm trying to keep my scope managable with projects. The art for this was a rough scribble sketch outline for months before I finally came back to it with the help of a new med. This forumventure is more of a practice one than anything, and one to get people used to the idea of voting.
Still, it's one I want to try and get finished.
This is your cursory mention that many pokemon from the phoenixdex are available for usage under creative commons Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License (CC BY-NC 4.0). For info on that check out the Phoenix Dex's page on creative commons and usage.
Comite from the Tandor Dex / Pokemon Uranium isn't iirc officially under any creative commons licensing, but I did ask around in the Pokemon Uranium community a couple years back and was told that folks are fine to use mons for their projects / fics provided they give credit, and that likewise they aren't just using the assets of pokemon uranium and claiming their own (ie you have to resprite iirc was the phrasing). In spirit the same policy the phoenixdex has a la "dont assume that you have the right to use fanart or other art someone else has made for your project".

Neither designs are mine, and I used the original "lets practice drawing these three pokemon for the update" sketches I did with the original art of both mons as a reference. Drawing the assets for this update, well more the computer trouble that happened before and during making the original update, is what stalled me out on making this venture for so long. I decided to just use the sketches I had rather than try to make a new pose and do studies on three pokemon I might not draw again.
Which is to say "for my anxiety's sake I'll say I didnt trace these, but yes I got fairly lazy with drawing pokemon, something I have not been doing throughout my life despite being a lifelong fan because its kinda hard" and stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: K_S

Meridian

local liminal entity
Pronouns
any/all
oh, right, meant to say I'm closing the vote here. this is a 'silly' thing, and I'm wanting to just move on for updates so dont be surprised folks if I get 'stalled' out and go "ok there's one vote, great no tiebreaker"
I have for the last couple days had the outline for what to write on the next update readied, so it's just a matter of a formal writing sesh + getting next page done.

Kimchi the Gastrel's profile

Meridian

local liminal entity
Pronouns
any/all
Your attention's immediately grabbed by the Gastrel being among the samples.. those aren't the most common in this part of the world, right?

screenshot of the pokecenter adoptions directory page, displaying the summary of the gastrel's profile. Name: Kimchi Type: Poison Flying Original Trainer Pokemon Ranger Lind ID NO 8401-3325 : 010383 MET on 3/17/2026 at Wapatl Beach Boardwalk Nature: Jolly Trait: Highly Curious. Kimchi is shown via a profile box to be level 13 and male. Kimchi has the ability Saboteur which is explained as Moves can be used on the target regardless of held items moves include the acid, peck, torment, air cutter, switcheroo, venom drench, and mirror move

You're not hugely familiar with the pokemon.. so you pull up one of the various online pokedex websites. The species was first published in the Accolanto-Calivera joint regional pokedex, so that region's official government website popped up first in the results alongside some national dex options.

...It's immediately clear that some of the moves 'Kimchi' has access to are egg moves.
Well, that's interesting.

You tab back to the mon's profile listing and scroll down to the bottom to check the adoption fee. The cost the adoption directory is asking makes sense. It's not unreasonable, as they're trying to place it outside the budget of a novice trainer without the knowledge or resources necessary to provide it a healthy environment to grow, or alternatively an unstable home environment.

Still it's not as crazy as trying to get ahold of a foreign starter.
Its not uncommon starters need to be rehomed, and it's not uncommon a breeder or trader will put out listings through the center directories.. but that doesn't make them cheap.

You scroll back up to the body of the profile and give it a look over.
Apparently 'Kimchi' was curious enough to split off from his flock and harass tourists for snacks. Clearly food-motivated and with the species' food aggression behaviors it's understandable why he kept going after the cheesy kimchi fries being sold on the boardwalk... hence the ranger mission that resulted in his capture.
There's not much mention of why he wasn't returned to the migratory group his flock came from but a listing's up for a reason. The body section notes that despite his antics he wasn't using any damaging moves against the public despite the option.

He's no threat to himself or others, but the aptitude section makes sure that he'd be a bad match for sky battles and other flier activities whether it's pokeringer or as a taxi mon. Same goes for any pokeculinary tracks. They cite with both he'd need a bit of training to return to his partnered trainer and to avoid going all in on whatever's in front of him without the option of recall (but at least there's pokeball return, right?).
They do list him as likely adapting well to any team-based activities such as double battles, so the flocking experience was clearly good for something.

a lower scrolled section of the profile depicting the tail end of the summary as such: interactions with humans if not a released trained  mon among their number.  Due to the facotrs listed any adopting individual  should expect a need for both enrichment, and adjusting  otherwise disruptive behaviors with appropriate  reinforcement.  'Kimchi' has a clean bill of health and is ready for  adoption. He looks forward to a new home with plenty of treats.  the adoption fee and discount is below Adoption FEE: ₽27000 Your Discounts:  S Tier Trainer  -₽8000 Past Successful Adopter   -₽2000  Max Discount Reached Poison Handling and Licensing  -₽2500 Flier Handling     -₽2500  Final Total:  ₽17000

Otherwise the intake lists him as being both intelligent enough and understanding sufficient human speech to be adopted by a trainer or as a house mon, so long as his new owner can provide him with sufficient enrichment.
So long as you have some basic poison-type handling on your record (and you do) it's stated that there shouldn't be major issues beyond what's stated so far.

As you're already logged in you take a quick check at what discounts you'd be eligible for with this adoption..
It wouldn't have been as bad at full price with what you have to work from. You dont have to worry as much about funding this adoption thanks to keeping your trainer registration up to date, but you did hit the max discount threshhold on a less intensive listing like Kimchi's. Either way at least the local regional association recognizes you as a trainer of your tiering and experience, but it probably helps you've been to the Casca Association a couple times before.

That leaves it at about 17000 pokedollars.
You could easily pay for it with savings, and while you haven't checked your checking account there's almost definitely enough to cover it in there too..
You've been coasting though, so it's probably not a bad idea to sign on for a payment plan you can handle over the next month or two.​

[] Out of Pocket
[] Savings
[] Payment Plan
Perlin is an International Trainer who's had at the very least a few journeys under their belt. They aren't working from your usual protagonist's pocket change, and at this point in their life they've got enough to live on comfortably in the short and a bit of the long term.
That said, purchases like this add up over time, and so do longterm expenses like stays at a PokeHostel, or Perlin's contribution to rent at the Trainer Dorms they own a room at wherever it is. In the event of a purchase like an evo stone, or say a mega stone.. well sometimes it's worth keeping your nest egg until it hatches.
  • Out of Pocket means that in the actual forumventure that follows this thread, Perlin'll be starting out with a fair bit less spending money to work from. It wont be everything, but Perlin also wont have everything to work from for day to day expenses.
  • Savings means that Perlin will still have a nest egg, of course, but as those long-term expenses get paid and it shrinks there just might be a source of mild anxiety for them if they keep coasting as they've been doing.
  • Payment Plans aren't unheard of for trainers and your average person alike. If this is selected I'll more than likely make it a "Pay In 4" every week, or every other week in the quest. That's 4250 per week, or $42.50. Perlin can almost definitely make above that on a weekly basis and not have it too meaningfully affect their spending money.

I use a lazy "pokedollars are yen, so take off two digit places to get USD equivalency" exchange rate, as I dont want to bother with checking the fluctuating exchange rate when the difference usually isnt so major. I like to think of the pokemon world's cost of living as more or less being managable, and that there's definitely a range of income brackets for trainers and the socioeconomic infrastructure (usually) in-place to sustain them existing.

Bluwiikoon

waow!
Pronouns
He/him
Partners
  1. nosepass-bluwiikoon
[x] Payment Plan seems to be the most sensible and flexible option, at the moment!

Meridian

local liminal entity
Pronouns
any/all
closing the vote at payment plan. this'll either update again in a week or two, depending on how much I procrastinate on it in favor of the other forumventure I'm gonna start here, and when I get more progress on designing Perlin the pov character here

Top Bottom