• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pikachuguy

A lazy straight guy
Pronouns
He/him/they/them
Change is a powerful thing. Pikachu has moved over to a new town, due to a series of events resulting in the death of his father. Pikachu is incredibly paranoid over the idea of moving to a new town, because of the effects the trauma of change has had on him. However, Pikachu must warm up to his new life if he is to ever move on from the past.

Pikachu meets new people in this town, and has many adventures and new experiences along the way. His friend Eevee that he meets especially helps him adjust, as her bright personality helps lift his spirit on his journey to accept the newfound changes of his life. Along the journey, Pikachu learns that though change is a pain, it is fate. And although fate is a rollercoaster of darkness, there is light at the end if you accept that the darkness is a part of life.

Chapter 1: New beginnings

Pikachuguy

A lazy straight guy
Pronouns
He/him/they/them
Untitled(5).png

Thunder rumbles, making an ear-shattering noise surrounding the mountain.

Pikachu stands alone on the mountain top. He looks through the horizon. He sees a seemingly endless forest of tall pine trees.

Pikachu looks at the wall of the mountain. He feels that he is finally in a place where he could be alone with himself, and where he could express his feelings alone. He pauses and picks up a rock. He slowly inspects it, as he is too distracted by his thoughts to quite remember what he intended to do with it.

Pikachu starts to doze off, but he snaps out of it quickly. He looks toward the wall of the mountain. It seemingly stretched higher than his eyes could see.

He picks up the rock, and makes a dent in the wall. He begins to carve a shape into the wall.

He starts creating an art piece by carving the rock on the mountain. He always had a passion for art, seeing it as a way to express himself when alone.

He sighs, as the rain pours over his head.

He draws a picture of a nice small house on a nice small hill. He draws another hill, with many other small houses. He draws three shapes on the top of the house. He draws a circle to represent his mother, a triangle to represent himself, and a square to represent his father. He draws a nice little tree near the house, with a tire swing connected to it. To finish it off, he drew a word in all uppercase at the bottom of the drawing.

CHANGE.

Pikachu sits down on the mountain floor. He admires his piece.

"It's beautiful..." Pikachu weakly smiles. He lets out a single tear that blends in with the drops of rain.

Another harsh lightning strike booms through the air.

Pikachu lies on his tummy. He sighs and takes one last look at his drawing. He lowers his head and closes his eyes. The rain drizzles over him as he starts to doze off. In his vision, the world fades into nothing but darkness, and nothing is left except him and a model of his drawing.

In the vision, Pikachu feels a hand that noogies his fur.

Pikachu opens his eyes. He looks behind him, and he sees none other than...

His father.

Pikachu's father had been gone for such a long time. Pikachu was led to believe he'd never see him again. But he knew deep inside that he was out there somewhere. And now, his father stood over him.

"D-Dad!" Pikachu fills his eyes with tears of joy. These tears don't blend in with the drops of water, as there is something special about them. Something genuine. A little something called bliss.

He runs to hug his father, but as he does so, the figure disintegrates.

"W-What!?" Pikachu exclaims.

Pikachu looks down at his hands. His eyes fill with tears once more, these ones standing out from the drops of water. However, their specialty is not bliss.

It's pain.

Soon, Pikachu sees his surroundings crumble and disintegrate around him until he is left in nothing but pure darkness.

Pikachu sees his body disintegrate with his surroundings. Just as his last molecule is gone...

He wakes up.

Day 1

Pikachu springs awake in his bed, gasping for air. He then processes that all he experienced was just a dream. He looks at his hands and sobs.

Pikachu wipes the tears from his eyes.

"D-Dad...No, please..." Pikachu sniffs.

Pikachu shakes his head. Come on, Pikachu. At least wake up before you get in hysterics.

Pikachu walks out of his room and towards the kitchen.

"Good morning, Honey!" Goodra smiles.

Goodra rubs Pikachu's head, just as his father did in his dream. Pikachu holds back tears.,

"Hey, mom..." Pikachu sees his mother's smile, and that's just enough to cheer him up.

"Hey, honey! I made you breakfast! Today's your first day of going to school in this new town, Okay?" Goodra pats Pikachu on the back. "Have fun out there!"

"Okay, Mom..." Pikachu's light smile fades into a more vacant expression. He wasn't too fond of the idea of having to start fresh and leave all of his old friends behind, but he knows he has to at least try. His mother wished for them to adjust to living in this new town, and Pikachu wanted to make his mother happy more than anything.

Pikachu eats his breakfast, an Oran-berry pie. He walks toward the door to go to school.

"Hold on, honey." Goodra says as she opens one of the drawers in the kitchen.

She pulls out a long red scarf from the drawer and hands it to Pikachu.

"Have this. I call it my 'lucky scarf'." Goodra winks. “It should help you out there. I know it’s been hard for you, these past few months. But I assure you it’ll be alright.

"Thanks, Mom." Pikachu says.

"Have a good time, honey!" Goodra waves Pikachu goodbye at the door. "Make some new friends!

Pikachu waves back, smiling.

Pikachu walks to the school on the nearby hill, belonging to the village that had now become his home...

The Sequoia village.

The Sequoia village was a very peaceful, yet lively village. The people of the village were very welcoming, so they were always glad to have a new villager.

Meanwhile, at the village...

A group of Pokémon are walking to school together.

"I can’t believe we’re almost on our spring break..” Snivy yawns. "Feels like I've been going here for ages."

"Tell me about it..." Oshawott sighs.

Scrafty leaps on Oshawott head. Oshawott wobbles around, trying to balance himself despite the eight being put on him.

”Heh! I’m going to become a whole different person over this break! I’m sure you won’t even recognize me when I come back!”

”Scrafty, please get off of my head…” Oshawott groans as he fumbles around the ground.

“And who put you in charge?" Scrafty scoffs.

"Of my head?" Oshawott retorts.

"No, who put you in charge of where my feet go?" Scrafty presses his foot harder on Oshawott head.

Oshawott tumbles over, falling into a puddle of mud.

"Next time, don't judge me for where I put my dogs!" Scrafty chuckles.

Oshawott shakes his fist at Scrafty as he lay on the ground.

Pikachu is walking toward the school. He sighs in anxiety, anticipation, curiosity, an odd happiness, and an odd sadness inside. All he hoped was that this would all turn out normally. That he would fit in with all of the other Pokémon at the school. That he wouldn’t leave any bad impressions. That was all he hoped. He hoped that his life wouldn’t come crashing down on the-

WHAM!

Pikachu feels something crash into him, and he tumbles to the ground. It was his first day in this new town and he already made a clumsy move.

”Ow…”

”Oh! I’m sorry! Are you alright?" An anonymous voice exclaims.

Pikachu scrambles to his feet. He sees a Pokémon standing before him. The Pokémon's body is coated with brown fur. Their beady eyes stared into his soul. They had long ears with the inner ears being colored a nice brown. Around their neck area was a white layer of fur that covered the neck like a scarf.

"I was just heading to class, sorry about that." The Pokemon nervously chuckles.

"Class? Oh, that's where I was going, too." Pikachu says.

The Pokémon looks in confusion. "Really? I've never seen you around there. What, are you a new student?"

"Yeah, I am...I just moved here." Pikachu admits.

"Oh, welcome! What brings you to our town, new kid?" The Pokémon brightly smiles.

"Oh, uh..." Pikachu thinks about all the events that lead him to this moment. This moment here, where he is speaking to an unknown Pokémon in an unknown town... He thinks about all the changes that occurred in his life. He lets out a sigh.

"It's...Well..." Pikachu can't bring himself to finish his sentence. "A long story, if you will..."

The Pokémon's eyes slightly widen. "Oh, god...Was that a bad question? Sorry, I'm not good with meeting new people..."

"Well, at least we have something in common." Says Pikachu.

The Pokémon and Pikachu awkwardly chuckle.

“So, what’s your name?” The Pokémon asks.

”I’m Pikachu. And you?”

”I’m Eevee.” Eevee reaches her hand out to shake hands with Pikachu.

Pikachu reaches his hand out as well.

The two shake hands with each other, until…

RING! RING! RING!

”Oh, crap! The bell! I’m gonna be late!” Eevee yelps. Eevee grabs Pikachu’s hand. “Come on, Pikachu! Let’s go!”

Eevee runs at full speed towards the school, while practically dragging Pikachu. Pikachu hits his head on multiple bushes and trees on the way to the school. By the time they get there, Pikachu is practically covered in leaves and sticks.

At the school…

Eevee rushes to her seat. Pikachu walks to the class, brushing off the leaves and sticks from his body.

”New kid and Eevee, you two are late.” Mr. Bibarel sighs.

”Sorry, sir!” Says Eevee.

”It’s fine, Eevee. Just remember to try your best to get here on time. You hold up the class when you’re late.” Bibarel looks to Pikachu. "As for you, new kid. I'll let you off the hook this one time. Now come on and introduce yourself to the class."

"Hey, no fair! How come the new kid gets a pass?" Scrafty shakes his head. "Beginners luck, I tell you. Whenever I'm late, it's considered a problem!"

"Scrafty, not now." Buneary sighs.

"Ay, you ain't the boss of me, kid! You don't tell me what to do." Scrafty scoffs.

"I am, however." Mr. Bibarel sets his chalk down on the board. "And I'm telling you to stay silent and stop disrupting the class."

Scrafty sighs and slouches on his seat.

"Now, introduce yourself, new kid." Bibarel pats Pikachu on the back.

Pikachu gulps. "Hi, I'm Pikachu...I just moved here from another village, so I'm completely new here."

Scrafty yawns.

"Well...It's nice to meet you all...I think I'll sit down now."

"Yes, yes. Very well. Let's see...You will sit down next to Eevee. Go on, now."

Pikachu takes his seat.

"Aw, awesome! The seat next to me won't be empty anymore!" Eevee widely grins. "And the person filling it is someone I already met 2 minutes ago! That's great!"

Pikachu slightly smiles as well. After all, there’s a slight bit of fortune in the fact that he’s seated next to someone he already got somewhat of a fresh start with. That’s something.

Mr. Bibarel clears his throat, and then taps his chalk on the chalkboard. “Alright, class. We have a special day ahead of us. We will perform an activity testing your sense of responsibility and teamwork.

"Responsibility? That's gay." Scrafty remarks under his breath.

“You will all be assigned into teams for this activity.” Mr. Bibarel announces. “There will be 3 teams consisting of 4 students each. Is that clear?”

“Yes, sir.” The class replies.

”Don’t say ‘yes sir’, please. I’m not a Drill Sargent.” Bibarel chuckles. “Now, let us begin.”

The class arrives at the Oak forest.

"Class, this is where this activity will take place. Pay attention, because the instructions I will give you are very essential.

Pikachu looks around in awe of the atmosphere around him. He had never seen a forest this beautiful. He feels the wood on the trees. The wood is rough, but smooth as well. It's like a perfect tree.

"That includes you, Pikachu." Bibarel sighs.

"Oh...Heh...sorry." Pikachu nervously chuckles.

Pikachu hears giggling coming from classmates. Great. He’s already screwing up his first impressions. Get yourself together, Pikachu.

Pikachu rejoins the class.

”Alright, For team 1, we have Buneary, Eevee, Scrafty, and Pikachu.”

”Great. I get paired with the scrawny new kid.” Scrafty scoffs. “And also Eevee and Buneary. God, it’s like I’m gonna have to babysit a whole team. I always get paired with the dorks.”

“For team 2, We have Snivy, Chespin, Raboot, and Fennekin.”

”Alright! I get paired with my big bro!” Chespin giggles. She boops her brother, Snivy on the nose.

”Yes, Yes…I’m glad I…well, get to spend time with you…” Snivy shrugs.

”I won’t disappoint, big S!” Chespin winks.

”Hmm…2 grass types and 2 fire types…That’s a juxtaposition, for sure..." Says Raboot.

"Don't think of anything funny..." Fennekin sighs.

"Why would I? I'm not such an immature type..." Raboot shakes his head.

“And finally…Team 3! Oshawott, Mudkip, Ivysaur, and Butterfree!"

"Alright! I'm good at responsibility..." Ivysaur says. "Whatever this requires me to do, I'm sure I can handle it!"

"I'll try my best as well..." Mudkip sighs. "I hope I can be of useful service!"

"Any service is useful service, Mudkip. As long as you provide that, you'll be fine, trust me." Oshawott pats Mudkip on the back.

"I got wings...I'm sure that'll come in handy somewhere!" Butterfree flaps her wings and smiles.

"And with that, it's time I explain the activity!" Bibarel grins. He pulls out his trusty chalkboard. "In this activity, you will traverse an obstacle course. You will need to work together in order to get to the flag, as there are 4 flags at the end of the course. You must all bring these flags back to me together. Is that clear? These flags all have the name of a specific member of the team on them, so I will know who is supposed to retrieve which flag."

”You all have 30 minutes to retrieve the flag, so use that time wisely. Now, get into your positions! Each team will go down a specific path, which is marked with a flag.”

All of the teams arrive at their assigned paths.

”Oh, boy…I can’t wait! I love adventuring!” Eevee beams.

”Shut up, ya gaywad.” Scrafty spits on the ground.

”Huh?” Eevee looks in confusion. “Buneary, what’s a gaywad?”

Buneary nervously chuckles. “Nothing, Eevee. Nothing.”

Eevee looks to Pikachu. “Hey, Pikachu. What’s a-“

”Don’t.” Pikachu sighs.

”With that said, we shall start!” Bibarel announces “GO! Godspeed, young explorers!”

All of the teams rush toward the obstacle course.

Team 1 heads toward the obstacle course.

”Stay behind, newbie. Let the pros handle this.” Scrafty smirks. “The battlefield is no place for a rookie.”

”Hey, I’m not new to this!” Pikachu replies. “Just because I’m a new kid doesn’t mean I was born last night!”

”Well, you sure act like it, with the way you were touching that tree earlier!” Scrafty chuckles. “What, is this your first time touching grass, little buddy?”

Pikachu is greatly annoyed by Scrafty’s remarks.

”Don’t mind him, Pikachu.” Buneary sighs. “He does this all the time. He just thrives off of annoying people.”

”Aw, you’re babying the new guy? God, and I thought I was the only one babysitting. How embarrassing!”

“Hey, look! It’s the first obstacle!” Eevee points towards two trees with a rope tied between them.

”Oh, that one’s a classic.” Scratch smugly walks towards the rope. He looks back at his teammates, mainly Pikachu. He smirks before tugging the rope and walking back.

A pile of pinecones falls from the tree and snaps the rope in half.

”You may pass.” Scrafty gestures for his teammates to walk forward before him.

Scrafty holds his foot out in front of Pikachu and makes him fall on the pinecones.

The pinecones roll down the hill after Eevee and Buneary one by one, before the whole pile starts rolling toward them, as well as Pikachu.

Scrafty rushes down the hill. He spring-jumps over the pile and grabs his large bag. He stuffs all the pinecones, as well as Pikachu in the bag. He empties Pikachu out.

”Damn, Pikachu. You should really be more careful around those pinecones. You put your fellow teammates in jeapordy. That’s not very responsible of you, is it?” Scrafty smirks, standing over Pikachu.

Pikachu gives Scrafty a nasty look. Scrafty nudges Pikachu's face with his foot.

Buneary sighs. "Come on, you two."

"Coming!" Scrafty whistles as he walks along with the team. "Pick up the slack, new kid!"

Pikachu rushes toward the rest of the team. He decides to start keeping an eye out for Scrafty, in case he tries pulling any more antics on him.

Pikachu is carefully looking around for any possible traps.

”Looks like I finally got you paying attention, kid.” Scrafty whispers to Pikachu. “Guess my work really helped you get in shape after all.”

Pikachu tries his best to ignore Scrafty.

Suddenly, a rustling is heard in the bushes.

The team looks toward the bushes.

”Hm?” Eevee raises her eyebrow.

The rustling continues, until…

A net shoots out from the bush. It lands on the ground.

”Huh! Looks like that trick failed!” Eevee chuckles.

”No, no, no.” Scrafty facepalms. “Seriously, how stupid can you possibly be?”

Scrafty grabs a couple of pinecones from his bag. He throws it at the net. The net immediately springs up and traps the pinecones.

“Elementary.” Scraftyy snaps. “You know, since I’m absolutely carrying you all, how about you idiots solve the next one? Not Pikachu, though. Pikachu’s gonna get us killed. He almost did back there with the stupid pinecones.”

“Alright, Scrafty. That’s enough.” Buneary sighs.

“I’ll do the next one!” Eevee insists.

”Eevee it is.” Scrafty says.

“Nice!”

The team continues on their obstacle course run.

TO
BE
CONTINUED

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Chapter 2: The shard of ember

Pikachuguy

A lazy straight guy
Pronouns
He/him/they/them
Untitled(4).png

Throughout that evening, Team A had gone through many trials and tribulations.

"Ah, next obstacle. Rope of death." Scrafty scoffs. "Why don't you try this one, Buneary?"

"What? Me?" Buneary questions.

"What, scared?" Scrafty nudges Buneary.

“No! No way!” Buneary grabs the rope. “If I have to climb it, then I will!”

Buneary leaps on the rope. She starts climbing her way up the tree.

"Hm...It looks like you need to throw a few apples in this bucket to weigh it down!" Eevee realizes. "Then, the rope holding the logs in front of us will lift!"

"Just throw 'em' down here, Buneary!" Eevee yells out.

Buneary throws an apple at the bucket. The apple hits Eevee on the head and lands inside the bucket.

"N-Nevermind, don't do that...Just drop them." Eevee groans.

Buneary drops all the apples on the ground.

”Alright, let’s put these things where they belong." Says Pikachu.

The apples are put in the bucket, and the logs are lifted.

"Alright! Nice going, you guys!" Eevee beams.

Pikachu is busy investigating a passageway through the trees.

"Hey, what're you looking at, kid?" Scrafty pushes Pikachu aside. "Oh, I see."

"Seems you found a secret path...Quite impressive, I'll admit." Scrafty sarcastically claps.

"What do you say, gang? If we're lucky, we'll find an extraordinary shortcut. If we're not, then we'll just happen to be the kids who came in last. No harm in that, right?" Scrafty shrugs. "Who's in?"

"I’m not sure…” Pikachu says.

”Yeah, seems too sketchy. Like it’s too good to be true.” Eevee starts walking back.

“I don’t think it’s a good idea either. Seems too risky.” Buneary shakes her head.

”Well, as the leader, I say you are all bitch-made.” Scrafty scoffs. “Now, come on. Let’s see what’s on this path.”

“Who made you the leader?” Buneary asks.

”I called shotgun.” Scrafty declares. “Now, get your ass over here.”

Scrafty and the crew walk through the forbidden path.

Scrafty pushes away some vines. “Don’t need these in my way…”

Everyone admires the beautiful atmosphere in the secret pathway.

”Maybe this isn’t so bad after all…” Pikachu says.

Eevee picks out a Pecha berry. “Wow, the berries are all perfectly ripe!”

“I’d advise against eating berries in a prohibited area.” Buneary warns. “We don’t know what’s been around here.”

”Come on, live a little. What’s the worst thing that can happen? We get attacked? It’ll be a 4 against one. You guys will cower in fear, while I’ll deal with the four Pokémon that attack us by myself.” Scrafty chuckles.

Pikachu starts carving a tree with a rock. He draws a small house on the tree.

"I say we take a break here. Just relax a bit." Scrafty lays on the grass.

"I thought you would be prepared for a worst-case scenario at the very least if you were going to go off the tracks." Buneary sighs.

"When did I ever say that?" Scrafty chews on an Oran berry.

Suddenly, Pikachu notices a glowing rock in the distance.

He drops his rock. He sneakily walks over to the rock.

Pikachu inspects the rock. It's very small, like a shard.

Pikachu touches it. The shard inflicts a zapping pain on Pikachu. Pikachu falls into a bush.

Pikachu looks at his arm. He has a visible burn mark just below his palm.

….

“Hm…I’ve never seen this before.”

Pikachu looks up to the sky.

”Hm….”

Pikachu puts a leaf over the shard to hide it, but the leaf is zapped as well.

"Ack!" Pikachu yelps.

Pikachu inspects the shard. It was unlike anything he had seen before. It was like a crystal the size of a small rock, and it zapped anything that touched it. Although it seemed to emit electricity, the shard was red, the color of symbolism for fire, as well as an emblem of fire in the middle. Perhaps the zapping wasn't because of electricity, but instead to act as a sort of barrier for those forbidden to touch it? But who was allowed to? The more Pikachu inspected the crystal, the more questions he had.

Buneary appears behind Pikachu. "Hey, what are you doing?"

Pikachu tries his best to play it cool. He picks up a nearby rock and starts carving something on a tree.

"Nothing much."

"Hey, what's up with you and tree carvings? Is that like, a hobby or something?"

"That is so, but it's not just specifically trees I carve. I carve whatever surfaces I see fit."

Buneary sees a burnt leaf on the ground. "Ooh, what's this?"

"DON'T TOUCH THAT!" Pikachu exclaims.

Buneary looks back at Pikachu in suspicion.

"U-Um...That's poison ivy! If you touch it, you'll get itchy spots all over you!

"Oh, is that so?" Says Buneary. "Doesn't look like poison ivy to me."

"It's a special kind. They call it 'Camo clover'." Pikachu explains.

"They call it 'Camo clover', even though it's clearly a leaf." Buneary raises her eyebrow.

"Um...Yeah." Pikachu scratches his head.

Buneary lifts the leaf. She sees the red crystal underneath it.

"Oh...Huh?"

Pikachu facepalms. "Please don't touch that."

"What's the reason now?" Buneary questions.

"If you do, that thing's going to zap you. Trust me."

"You know, I'm not gonna play along with your lies, Pikachu. If you want to convince someone not to do something, you gotta at least make your reasoning believa-"

Buneary touches the crystal and gets zapped.

"Ack! What...?"

"What did I tell you?" Pikachu sighs.

"Pikachu, what is this?" Buneary questions.

"I don't know. It's some sort of shard I found here. It has a fire emblem on the center if you look closely enough."

"So it must belong to some legendary fire pokemon?"

"Well, it's possible."

Buneary takes another look at the crystal.

"We need to report this to someone." Buneary declares.

"How?" Pikachu asks. "I don't think the staff would be willing to walk through a forbidden path just to find evidence for some rumor some disobedient kids told them. And we most definitely can't bring it to them.

"We'll have to find some way." Says Buneary.

Suddenly, a rustling is heard in the bushes.

"Hm? What was that?" Pikachu questions.

"It was probably nothing." Buneary reassures. "Just keep-"

Grrrr...

Buneary looks toward the bushes. The bushes start rustling.

A large fire-type pokemon emerges from the bushes.

"Where...Is it?" Heatmor grumbles.

He looks at Pikachu and Buneary.

"Why...What are you fools doing here...?" Heatmor questions.

4"Um...What are you doing...here?" Pikachu replies.

Heatmor looks at the red crystal on the ground.

"Well...I'll be damned. If it isn't the one thing I was looking for." Heatmor chuckles. He picks up the crystal. "Why, this emblem is a very important factor to a quite special operation..."

"Hey, wait...This person looks familiar..." Buneary whispers.

"You think?" Says Pikachu.

Heatmor turns towards Pikachu and Buneary. "Hehe...I'll be taking this, thank you..." All of a sudden, Heatmor grins a devilish grin.

Buneary recognizes Heatmor's grin. It was the same grin on the mugshot of one of the outlaws on the "Top wanted" list.

Heatmor turns his back toward Pikachu and Buneary, revealing a tattoo on his back.

Pikachu's eyes widen in realization. This Pokemon had a tattoo on his back, similar to the outlaws from his home town.

”Buneary. We need to get out of here. Right now.” Pikachu says.

“I know.” Buneary takes a step back.

"Why, you little runts don't mind if I keep this, eh?" Heatmor chuckles. "You better, cause' you're not getting it back, that's for sure!"

Meanwhile...

Team 2 has reached the end of the obstacle course.

"Alright!" Chespin jumps for joy. "We did it, big bro!"

"Hah! Awesome! Let's take those flags, everyone!"

The team takes all of their respective flags.

"Huh. The other teams' flags are still there. I wonder what's taking them so long." Raboot wonders.

"I don't know about team 3, but I can see Scrafty from team 1 trying to go off-course in some way." Fennekin supposes.

"That is true. And no offense, but team 3 doesn't have quite the strong lineup either."

"That's not important, however. Let's just take the flags back and claim our position in first place." Says Raboot.

"Amen to that!" Snivy chuckles.

Soon after, Team 3 arrives to retrieve the flags.

"Hey, looks like we made second place!" Butterfree beams. "That's great!"

"I wonder what team 1's doing. Hope the new kid's holding up well." Mudkip says. "Scrafty's probably tormenting him. And Eevee can get a bit curious...They might have gotten lost somewhere."

“Well, that’s not our problem.” Oshowatt shrugs. Come on, guys. Let’s get these flags back!”

”Sounds like a plan!" Ivysaur grabs her flag and holds it in her mouth.

"Try not to eat the flag now, Ivysaur." Oshowatt chuckles.

Ivysaur lightly whacks Oshowatt with her vine.

"Ouch."

Meanwhile...

Heatmor has run off with the crystal.

"W-What now? What's he gonna do with that?" Pikachu wonders.

"He said it was an 'important factor to a special operation'..." Says Buneary. “If my suspicions of him being an outlaw are correct…”

”They are. I saw the tattoo on his back." Pikachu explains. "That sign…It can only mean one thing and one thing only."

"What about the tattoo?" Buneary asks.

"You...You seriously don't know?" Pikachu sighs.

"Well, I'm sorry, but I personally don't spend a lot of time around malicious criminals." Buneary shakes her head. "What does it mean?"

"Well, it's a long story..." Pikachu starts to explain.

"Long ago, the outlaws formed. They were an organization of evil set on world domination."

"For a while, they were a small cult. However, as their empire grew, they decided they needed a logo to identify each other with. So, they came up with the same logo that we saw on that pokemon's back."

"They've identified with that logo for years...Even back in my old home town."

"So, that means that whatever he's trying to do with that crystal...It probably involves some huge-scale evil scheme..." Buneary presumes.

"It must be...And if that's the case, we should report it to someone immediately." Pikachu declares.

Heatmor had been secretly eavesdropping on Pikachu and Buneary's conversation. He peers over from the tree he's standing behind.

"Well, what are we waiting for? We should get Scrafty and Eevee and head out of here.

"Sounds like a plan."

Pikachu and Buneary run to Scrafty and Eevee.

"Hey, Buneary! Hey, Pikachu! What's up?" Says Eevee.

"What were you guys doing? You didn't catch anything on fire, did ya?" Scrafty chuckles. "Would hate to have to clean up after a couple of idiots."

"No, look." Buneary sighs. "Pikachu found this weird red shard on the ground. Some outlaw pokemon took it, and we don't know what he's going to do with it."

"What? That's awful!" Eevee exclaims. "We need to go ahead and tell somebody instantly!"

"And let the teachers know we went off-course and tried to cheat?" Scrafty shakes his head. "Hell to the no. Look, it seems this whole thing isn't any of our business. I'm a rebel, but I'm not going to get myself involved with some outlaw. And I'm not going to deal with detention either just because it's the 'moral' thing to do. Now, shut up, and let's get going. We'll just walk through this shortcut and find the flags, and boom. Jackpot. No worries. If we're lucky, we'll come in at least 2nd place. And if we're the last ones there, so what?"

"No! We're not doing that! I'd rather we just turn ourselves and the outlaw in than for anyone to get hurt! Who know's what that guy's up to? If he isn't caught, it's going to backfire. And I don't want to be the reason why!" Eevee protests.

"Oh my god, will you SHUT UP?" Scrafty growls. "The world isn't that black and white. Sometimes bad things happen. That's just the rules of nature. Not everything is rainbows, cupcakes, and licking Barney the Nidoking's purple asscheeks! And if you think otherwise, you're delusional. Now let's fucking GO!"

"I know that bad things happen! I know the world isn't cupcakes and rainbows! But that doesn't just give you an excuse to refuse to do what is morally right in this situation!" Eevee sighs.

"Morally right, my ass! That's the problem with people! Always trying to do what's morally right to get the social status to substitute for fending for themselves in this world! You act like you're a rational person, but I can tell you're just a stuck-up asshole who just wants to get people to like you." Scrafty scoffs.

"I don't care about people liking me, I just want to prevent a possibly disastrous situation from happening!" Eevee retorts.

"Keep telling yourself that!" Scrafty yells.

"I will!" Eevee exclaims.

"Cut it out, you two!" Buneary exclaims.

Suddenly, Heatmor emerges from the bushes.

"Hehehehe..." Heatmor chuckles. "You know, I'd advise for you all to listen to your little 'Scrafty' friend."

"Oh, nice going, you two. Now, he heard us!" Buneary sighs.

"I've been hearin' you this whole time, ever since I left." Heatmor corrects Buneary. "I've been eavesdropping on your whole conversation from the moment you thought I wasn't listening."

"And you didn't realize? You just talked at a loud-ass volume while he was there the whole freaking time?" Scrafty facepalms.

"It was a shame. If you all just agreed to leave it behind, you would have been able to escape this little area." Heatmor shakes his head. "But now?"

"Now, you have to answer to me." Heatmor smirks. "And I've got a hell of a lot of questions."

"The first is violence." Heatmor blows fire out his snout. "And the answer is yes."

Heatmor growls. He charges at the group.

Heatmor swats Pikachu like a fly. Pikachu crashes into a tree.

"You want the damn shard so bad?" Heatmor asks. "Then take it!"

Heatmor throws the shard at Pikachu. Pikachu is zapped by the shard as he tries to take it off.

As Pikachu is zapped, his body weakens. He struggles to take the crystal off. His eyes slowly start to close.

"Pikachu!" Buneary exclaims.

Buneary is grabbed by Heatmor.

"Not so fast, little runt."

Eevee uses the opportunity to rush toward Pikachu. She grabs a stick with her mouth and whacks the crystal off of Pikachu's stomach.

Pikachu groans. He barely stumbles to his feet.

Scrafty is thrown at the tree. The sheer force from Heatmor's throw breaks the tree.

"Run!" Eevee exclaims.

Scrafty quickly lands on his feet and moves out of the way of the tree. He pushes Pikachu out of the tree's way as well.

"Move faster, chubby bitch!" Scrafty kicks Pikachu's body, which was on the ground.

Pikachu gets up. "We need to get out of here. Now."

"Hm...You know, I've been quite hungry today..." Heatmor chuckles. He looks towards Buneary, who he had grabbed in his right hand. "Perhaps some lunch can't possibly hurt, can it?"

Heatmor holds Buneary by her ear over his mouth. Buneary struggles and squirms.

"Ah, yes... My favorite flavor." Heatmor grins. "Damsel in distress...Extra grilled."

Heatmor points his snout toward Buneary. He prepares his snout to breathe fire and burn Buneary alive.

"Or do I prefer it raw? How about we have a little test-taste..." Heatmor pulls on Buneary's arm, trying to rip it off.

"Oh, god...We've got to do something." Pikachu declares. "Where's the bag?"

Scrafty grabs the team's bag and runs toward Heatmor. "You're not going to make it in time, asshole!"

Scrafty leaps toward Heatmor. He throws a stun seed in Heatmor's eye.

Heatmor drops Buneary. He whacks Scrafty with his snout. Scrafty is knocked into a pond.

Heatmor falls on his back. A loud thud erupts.

Eevee runs towards Buneary. She grabs the team bag that Scrafty dropped. She searches the bag for Oran berries.

"Come on...Do we seriously not have any?" Eevee sighs.

Pikachu drags Scrafty out of the pond. Scrafty gasps for air.

"Pikachu...This is your goddamn fault." Scrafty pants.

"I-I know...I shouldn't have listened to you." Pikachu frowns.

"That's not what I meant, damnit." Scrafty grasps the ground. "But it doesn't matter. We need to get out of here while he's still down. We don't have any other choice. I'm not going to continue fighting this guy, and I refuse to be responsible for the gravestones of 3 of my classmates."

Scrafty and Pikachu run toward Eevee.

"Eevee, grab Buneary. We need to get out of here right now." Pikachu declares.

Eevee drags Buneary and begins to run out of the forest with Pikachu and Scrafty.

As Heatmor is stunned, he realizes that the group is leaving. He calls in his reinforcements, who had been searching for the crystal along with him.

Suddenly, a group of Weaviles block the team's path.

"Are you serious right now?" Scrafty groans.

The Weaviles surround the team in a circle.

"Oh, no...What do we do?" Eevee gulps.

As the Weaviles close in on the team, they see Heatmor leaving with the crystal.

"Dammit...Well, I've only got one choice." Scrafty reaches in his pockets. "Arceus, forgive me for what I'm about to do."

"What are you doing, Scrafty?" Eevee asks.

"Something I legally can't." Scrafty replies.

Scrafty pulls out a dagger.

"Back off, assholes." Scrafty warns. "Or I'm going to shove this where the sun can't shine."

The Weaviles gasp.

"Hey, isn't that an illegal weapon?"

"If you don't have a permit."

"Oh, god. This guy's pulling out a weapon without a permit."

The Weaviles all burst into a fit of laughter.

"That little thing? Are you kidding me?"

"I haven't seen a blade that short since my college years!"

Scrafty sighs. "Arceus, forgive me for what I'm about to do."

Scrafty slices off the top of one of the Weaviles' hands.

"GAH!" The Weavile grunts. He looks at his hand, oozing with blood.

"So that's how you want to do it, eh?" The Weavile smirks.

The Weavile prepares his claw. "Then take...THIS!"

The Weavile slashes its claw at Scrafty. Scrafty deflects it with his dagger.

"Gonna have to try harder than that, buddy." Scrafty spins the dagger in his hand.

Another Weavile sneaks behind Scrafty. He prepares a vicious claw attack.

Pikachu sees the Weavile behind Scrafty. He rushes in and deflects the Weavile's hit with Iron tail.

The Weavile lands on his feet. He takes a step back. Eevee bites his foot. She chomps down with all her might. The Weavile's blood starts leaking out of his leg. Pikachu hits him on the head with another Iron tail, and the Weavile collapses on the ground. Eevee headbutts him until she confirms that he is knocked unconscious.

Scrafty is practically fencing with his dagger and Weavile's claw. He catches Weavile off guard and stabs him. He kicks Weavile on the chin and knocks him unconscious.

Pikachu headbutts a Weavile. He uses a thunderbolt on top of the Weavile and toasts him.

Eevee
uses Swift on a Weavile. The Weavile easily dodges the move. However, Eevee throws a rock at the Weavile's head as it dodges, and it trips over. Eevee bites the Weavile's ear. She takes a piss on the Weavile's head.

"Oops! Did I piss you off there, buddy?"

Another Weavile leaps at Eevee. Scrafty throws his dagger at the Weavile, and he crashes to the ground. Scrafty pulls the dagger out of the Weavile. He uses brick-break to break the Weavile's back.

Pikachu covers Weavile's eyes with his tail, and Eevee gut-checks him with a headbutt. The Weavile coughs out a spurt of blood and falls toward the ground.

Now, only one Weavile remains.

Eevee throws an apple at Weavile. He prepares to catch it, when Scrafty slices the apple in two, and half of the apple hits Weavile on the head. Pikachu uses an electro ball on Weavile. Weavile is hit and falls toward the ground. Eevee lifts a rock over Weavile's head, and she smashes it, breaking the rock in two.

Everyone sits down to collect themselves.

"Okay, you know what? Now that we already went through all this, I honestly think turning in this outlaw dude sounds like a pretty damn good idea." Scrafty admits. "But for the record, we should never speak about what happened here with the reinforcements. I do not want anybody to know I just used a weapon without a permit. I'm a rebel, but I do not feel like spending time in prison."

"Sounds like a plan to me." Pikachu sighs.

"Can we go home now? I don't want anything else to happen...I'm pretty tired." Says Eevee.

"Yeah, let's head back. Maybe when we report what happened, the teachers won't be too mad. They'll probably be understanding, I hope." Says Pikachu.

"I don't know about understanding, but I'm guessing they won't go absolutely ballistic. After all, they are pretty lenient." Scrafty shrugs. "Although, I won't be surprised if they scream at the top of their lungs at least once."

"YOU DID WHAAAAAAAAAAAT!?"

Mr. Bibarel crosses his arms.

"Are you kidding me? Not only do you stray from the path in order to CHEAT, and not only did you not even return the flags and pass the assignment, but you got involved with OUTLAW SCHEMING, and got a fellow student injured?" Bibarel pinches his forehead in disappointment. "How do you mess up that badly?"

"Not as lenient as you presumed..." Scrafty whispers.

"Scrafty, not the time." Pikachu sighs.

"I expect this from you, Scrafty...But Eevee, Buneary, AND the new kid? For god's sake, what were you kids thinking? Were you thinking at all?"

Mr. Bibarel sighs. "Just get out. Get out of my classroom. I need time to think. Nurse Chansey, can you please take care of the injured student?"

Nurse Chansey carries Buneary to the Nurse's office.

"Pikachu, Eevee, and Scrafty, you now have detention for the rest of the school day. Now, go."

"Yes, sir." Pikachu and Eevee reply. Scrafty stays silent.

After school...

Pikachu is heading home, when Eevee starts walking next to him.

Pikachu sighs. "Hey, Eevee."

"Hi, Pikachu!" Says Eevee.

"So, erm...Rough day today, huh..." Eevee slightly frowns. "Definitely not how I expected any of that to go at all."

"No kidding...What a bummer of a first day. I'm completely fresh in this new town...All I hoped was to make a good first impression...To make friends and adjust, just like my mom wishes I would. But I screwed that up. Now everyone probably thinks I'm a nuisance." Pikachu stops and stands near a pond.

"Well, It's not all doom and gloom, you know..." Eevee pokes Pikachu lightly. "Everyone doesn't think you're a nuisance, you know..."

"How would you know?" Pikachu shrugs. "You didn't ask everyone, did you?"

"No, but I asked one person." Eevee smiles. "And they said that although Pikachu made a huge mistake, and convinced everyone he was a failure, they still knew that deep down inside, Pikachu's a sweet and charming guy who's just a bit confused, and they understand him."

"Someone said that...?" Pikachu's frown turns into a faint smile. "Who was it?"

"Me, you big dummy!" Eevee nudges Pikachu. "You know, I used to be just like you. I used to be anxious...And cared about what other people thought of me. I wanted to make sure people wanted to be my friend. But now? I've decided to be my own person. And yeah, I don't have many friends at all. People see me as annoying. They don't hate me, but they don't want to be near me. But you know what? None of that ever mattered. I don't care about who hates me, or who's indifferent to me."

"I care about the people who like me. The people who care for me as much as I care for them. My family. My friends, who seemed to be non-existent." Eevee leans toward Pikachu. "And maybe, you don't see me as a friend yet. Maybe you never will. But I just wanted you to know that I understand you. And although you may feel like a total failure, you still made a good impression on somebody."

"So, are you still gonna mope about what other people think, or what? I mean, I'm not forcing you to be happy, but I just want to remind you that there's a reason to be. Alright?" Says Eevee.

"See you tomorrow, 'Bro'." Eevee giggles.

Pikachu waves goodbye to Eevee, with a large smile on his face. He thought that maybe moving to this new town wouldn't be so bad after all. Maybe not everybody liked him. Maybe about everyone hated him. But just one sincere friend was all he needed. He just needed someone who cared. After all, all he wanted, in the end, was to make things easier on his mother. To at the very least make it easier for her to adjust to the changes.

Pikachu walked home. His mother, Goodra greeted him as he walked through the door.

"Welcome back, sweetie! How was your first day?"

"It was...Eventful, to say the least." Pikachu replies. Because it was true. That was the least he could say.

"Did you make any friends?" Goodra asks as she gives Pikachu his dinner.

"Yeah, actually." Pikachu faintly smiles.

"Oh, honey, that's great to know! I'm so glad you're adjusting to this new town so well already! Oh, I just knew you would do great." Goodra tightly hugs her son.

"Heh, mom..." Pikachu chuckles.

Goodra pats Pikachu on the head. "I bet tomorrow's gonna be another eventful day as well, honey. So get good sleep tonight!" Goodra pats Pikachu on the head.

"Will do, mom." Pikachu says as he eats his dinner.

"Don't talk with your mouth full, honey." Goodra giggles.

Pikachu eats his dinner and then heads to bed. He takes a look at an old picture of him, Goodra, and his father.

"Hey, dad...I kinda made a few mistakes today...I wouldn't say I did the best being in a new town...But, today, I realized that sometimes 'the best' isn't always exactly what you need. Sometimes okay is...okay. And the best thing about today is what made me realize that. Thanks to a new friend, I was able to pull through the troubles today gave me. And I just want you to know, that I still think about you... And I want to make you proud. I hope I achieved that. Love you, dad..."

Pikachu places the photo down. He lays in his bed, and then closes his eyes.

TO

BE

CONTINUED

Last edited:
Chapter 3: That wretched smirk...

Pikachuguy

A lazy straight guy
Pronouns
He/him/they/them
Untitled(3).png

Pikachu is standing on the mountaintop once again. This time, he takes the time to sit down and reflect on his life. He takes another look at his drawing. He strokes his scarf as he does so.

He looks down at a couple of rocks. One is a dark green, and is sturdy and sharp. Another is a rusty red, and has a more smooth surface. The last one is both sharp and smooth and is colored grey.

Pikachu picks up the dark green rock. He begins to carve another image into the mountain. He draws a lone triangle facing a group of many other shapes. Hexagons, Squares, Crescents, stars, and all of the sort.

He carves a line next to the drawing. He begins to create another similar drawing. In this drawing, the triangle sits alone. However, a circle appears behind it, and guides the triangle toward the group of other shapes.

When Pikachu finishes his piece, he writes a word on the bottom.

ADJUSTING.

Pikachu looks at the drawing. Suddenly, thunder booms through the land once again.

Pikachu looks toward the forest of pinetrees.

Suddenly, a cloud of smoke conjures behind him. Pikachu turns around to see another Pokemon standing behind him. This Pokemon is none other than Heatmor.

Heatmor stands tall over Pikachu.

Heatmor leans towards Pikachu and whispers. "You didn't forget about me, did you?"

Heatmor shakes his head. "Don't you know what you have caused? Do you seriously think everything will be all dandy?"

Heatmor chuckles. "Man up, kid. This is the real world. And you want to see what the real world's like?"

Heatmor smirks, and he snaps his fingers. A tiny fire is conjured on top of one of the pinetrees.

"You see this, kid? This is what you've caused. It seems so minuscule. It seems like it hurts so few people." Heatmor points towards the flaming pinetree. "But just watch as that flame goes down...You know what will happen? It'll spread. It'll spread, because of what you did."

Suddenly, the small flame spreads down the pinetree, until the whole tree has caught on fire. It spreads throughout the grass, and then on to the next tree. The flame slowly covers the next tree, even quicker than it did the last. The flame spreads from the grass to the next tree. This time, the flame spreads in about a split second.

Suddenly, one of the trees fall down. A domino effect takes place, and all of the other trees catch on fire too. Soon, the whole forest is flaming.

"This is what will happen, all because you didn't stay in your own lane." Heatmor leans even closer toward Pikachu. "But you know what the funny part is? It would've happened anyways."

"H-Huh?" Pikachu stammers.

"After all, who was it that conjured the fire in the first place? It was me." Heatmor chuckles. "They don't call me Heatmor for nothing, after all. But now that you got yourself involved, the fire is your burden now. Don't you get it? I'm your burden. All of this is your burden."

"Oh, and don't try to take action now. Don't try to add water to the flame. It'll only make it worse. The type advantage won't mean shit now." Heatmor grabs Pikachu. "All you can do is watch it all burn."

"So what will you do, shrimp?" Heatmor questions. "There's no 'right choice' now. It's only the choice you want to live with. So what will it be?"

"That's for you to figure out." Heatmor grins. He stuffs Pikachu in his mouth. He crunches down and dismembers him with his teeth. Pikachu's blood flows down his mouth.

Day 2

Pikachu wakes up in a cold sweat.

He gasps for air. He looks around his room. He sighs in relief, and then gets out of bed.

Pikachu starts heading his way to school.

Eevee starts walking beside him. She smiles brightly at Pikachu.

Pikachu sighs. “Do you have to follow me everywhere I go?”

“Aw, Pikachu. Why do you have to be sour about it? I’m just trying to do…friendly things! You know, warm up to the new guy a bit?" Eevee nudges Pikachu lightly.

Pikachu frowns.

"Hey, what's wrong now? You're acting a bit weird..." Says Eevee.

"Look, it's about what happened yesterday. I feel like I caused a lot of trouble. I was mainly worried about me ruining my first impressions at first, but now that that's behind me, I had a look at the elephant in the room." Pikachu shakes his head. "An outlaw got away. An outlaw is planning an evil scheme. The town is in jeapordy...Because of me."

Eevee pats Pikachu on the shoulder. "Now, there...You don't think you caused it, do you? After all, no matter what kind of mistake you made, it would have happened anyways."

"That's the problem!" Pikachu sighs. "If I just avoided the stupid crystal, this wouldn't be my burden to bear. But now, I'm involved. And I got other people involved too. I didn't cause the issue, but I sure as hell made it worse."

Eevee stays silent.

"You don't have anything motivational to say, do you?" Pikachu sighs. "It's okay, Eevee. Just go."

Eevee walks off.

Pikachu looks into the pond. "Look at me...A huge failure...Everything I do just ends up getting myself, and others in trouble..."

Pikachu kicks a rock into the pond. "Should just drown myself...Like Heatmor said, the type disadvantages won’t mean anything now."

"No, I shouldn't.” Pikachu shakes his head.

“Mom's already been through a lot...I don't want anyone to deliver the news to her that her asswipe of a son drowned himself..." Pikachu looks towards the woods.

He thinks of what Heatmor told him in his dream.

"Don't try to add water to the flame...It'll only make it worse."

Pikachu pauses, and then shakes his head. "Who am I kidding? Why should I listen to my worst enemy? I need to find a way to make this right. It's too late to run from my problems now. I have to fix them. These poor people don't deserve this. They don't deserve to be in danger because of some stupid kid. I fanned the flames, so I have to stop them now..."

Pikachu turns back from the school. He heads toward the fields to find out how to stop the problem, when he is grabbed by an unknown figure

Pikachu turns around, and sees Scrafty.

"Where the hell are you going, new kid?" Scrafty scoffs.

"It's none of your business, Scrafty." Pikachu sighs.

Scrafty steps on Pikachu's tail. "Don't get bold with me, new kid. Just because we had to work together yesterday doesn't give you freedom to talk to me how you want."

"L-Look, Scrafty." Pikachu begins to explain. "This outlaw is a dangerous individual, and he's planning to do very dangerous things with that crystal. And because of me, a lot of people are involved. Including you. I'm trying to make this right, so if you would please remove your foot from my tail..."

"YOU? Make things right? Get out of town, kid. No, seriously. Get out. Nobody wants you here." Scrafty moves his foot further down the back of Pikachu's head. "You know, ever since you came here, you've been causing trouble. You're a troublemaker. That's one thing we have in common."

Scrafty lifts his foot off of Pikachu.

"But there's one thing about being a troublemaker. You gotta live up to it." Scrafty says. "You can't just go ahead, be stupid, do something stupid to fix it, and expect everyone to like you."

"I don't want everyone to like me...I just want to make this right...I don't want to cause people trouble." Pikachu groans.

"So, what you're saying is, you don't want people to see you as a nuisance, despite you causing everyone trouble, and then you want to go and fix it to clear your name?" Scrafty shakes his head. "Stop trying to disguise your intentions. I know your type all too well."

"You don't belong here, Pikachu. So I wouldn't be pushing my luck if I were you." Scrafty advises. "Let alone shoving it into the ocean."

"Face it, new kid. This is the real world. And in the real world, people make mistakes. Mistakes that ruin their lives. Mistakes that put people in jeopardy. As you grow up, you're told these mistakes are okay to make. But really, they're anything but." Scrafty leans toward Pikachu. "And it seems you've got quite the bit of maturing to do. So why don't I help you?"

Scrafty pins Pikachu to the wall.

"First, you need to learn to man up. I can smell your fear right this moment. How can you try to face the responsibility of an outlaw if you can't even face your peers?" Scrafty grits his teeth. "Look me in my eyes, Pikachu. Look me right smack in my eyes."

Pikachu looks down and makes direct eye contact with Scrafty.

"That's better. If you want to be a bold bitch and do bold things, you're going to have to act bold as well." Scrafty scoffs.

"I'm not trying to be bold...I'm just trying to fix my mistakes..." Pikachu groans.

"As you FUCKING say!" Scrafty pounds Pikachu with his fist. "Stop lying to yourself. You need self-honesty if you want to be a troublemaker like me."

Scrafty punches Pikachu once again with all his might.

"I know what you are, alright. You're a goddamn fraud." Scrafty pounds Pikachu with his fist with every sentence he finishes. "You're no bold bitch...Or a nice guy...Or a troublemaker...You're just an attention whore. An attention whore who puts others in danger just so others can kiss your ass and tell you it's fine."

"And it's NOT...FUCKING...CUTE!" Scrafty grabs Pikachu, and slams him to the tree. "And then you pretend you want to make it right for everyone, because you want to avoid confrontation for your own fucking actions!"

"I bet you weren't even going in that forest to 'find a way to fix things'. You probably just went there to make people worry about you and hope that they would forget about your mistakes." Scrafty tightens his grip onto Pikachu. "And I won't let that happen."

Scrafty pulls out his dagger.

"You remember this little trinket, do you?"

Pikachu gulps. He feels like he just swallowed his heart, even though it's (hopefully) still in his chest.

"W-What are you going to do with that?" Pikachu asked nervously, although he knew all too well.

“Oh, y’know…” Scrafty grins.

"Something I legally can't."

RRRRRIIIINNNNGGG!

”E-Erm…T-That’s the bell…We should go.” Pikachu sighs of relief.

”I don’t care about a damn bell. I’ve got a whole book of excuses under my belt. I’ve only got one opportunity to do…”

This.”

Scrafty lightly pokes around Pikachu’s face with the knife, and stops at a specific spot near his cheek.

”Ah, yes…” Scrafty chuckles. “A sweet spot.”

Scrafty scrapes the dagger across Pikachu’s face. Pikachu squirms in pain. The dagger forms a large cut on Pikachu’s face. Pikachu drops to the ground. Scrafty steps on Pikachu’s face.

”This isn’t over, Kid. Just know that.” Scrafty warns.

Scrafty tosses a large band-aid to Pikachu. "Put this on. When we get to school, tell them I found you in a thorn bush. "You hear?"

Pikachu silently nods.

Pikachu and Scrafty get to class.

"Oh, just dandy. Scrafty and Pikachu...Late again?" Mr. Bibarel shakes his head. He looks at Pikachu. "Wait, what happened to you?"

"I had to pull this little sucker out of a thorn bush. He wasn't watching the road." Scrafty shrugs.

A few light giggles are heard from the class. Pikachu really wishes he did get to run to the forest. But this thought only made him contemplate if Scrafty was right after all. He went to the woods to fix his mistake, but he never had any idea how he was going to do it. Maybe he wasn't really fixing his mistakes, and was just finding a good place to run away all along.

Pikachu sits in his seat.

”Is that why you were late? You fell in a thorn bush? I thought you just ran away or something." Eevee pokes the band-aid. "You okay?"

Pikachu lightly nods.

"Oh, yeah. Right. Personal space. Sorry, there."

”No, Eevee. It’s fine. I’m sorry for being rude earlier. I know you’re just trying to be my friend…” Pikachu sighs.

Eevee raises her eyebrow. “Pikachu, you’re acting weird. Are you sure you’re not hurt or anything?”

”Well, of course falling in a thorn bush would hurt quite a bit…” Pikachu tries to be more verbal to make the lie more convincing.

"Class!" Mr. Bibarel clears his throat. "Now that we are all here, we shall continue our lesson."

"Now, thanks to a certain group, we will not be doing an activity today." Mr. Bibarel sighs.

The class groans.

“However, what we can do is some group work!” Mr. Bibarel claps. “Everyone, group together. Instructions will ”

Everyone gets up from their seats. Pikachu lets out a sigh.

Eevee walks to Pikachu. “Hey, would you look at that? You get a chance to interact with the other classmates! See, they probably won’t hate you!”

Pikachu shakes his head. “No. That’s not true. Scrafty told me as he was pulling me out that bush. Nobody wants me here.”

“Who cares what Scrafty says?” Eevee shrugs. “He’s just a bully. He probably pushed you into that thorn bush himself, didn’t he?”

Pikachu does not respond.

“See, you can’t even say. Why would you trust him to tell you what people think?”

“I…Guess you’re right.” Pikachu sighs.

Pikachu walks up to a group of Pokémon.

“Hi!” Pikachu waves. He tries to keep his greetings as simple as possible.

“Oh…Hi.” Oshawott stares blankly, not showing expression. He lowers his eyebrows. “Hey…You’re that new kid, right?”

“Yeah!” Says Pikachu.

“Oh…That’s cool, I geuss.” Oshawott takes a step back.

“So, uh…Can I join your group?” Pikachu asks.

“N-nah, I’m full. Hey, Mudkip, come over here, dude!”

“What’s up?” Mudkip looks to Pikachu. "Oh hey, new kid…”

"Uh, okay, that's fine." Pikachu walks away.

Pikachu walks over to another group.

”Hey, there! Can I join your group?” Pikachu asks.

Butterfree and Fenniken stare at Pikachu with a blank expression on their faces.

"I’ll take that as a no…”

Pikachu walks over to another group of people.

”Hello, there! Can I be apart of your…” Pikachu is distracted by what he sees in the corner of his eye. He sees Scrafty, standing in the group.

“On second though, nevermind. I’ll just-“

Pikachu feels a hand grabbing him. He already knows who it is.

”Hey, kid.” Scrafty smirks. “Haven’t seen you in a minute.”

“H-hey, Scrafty…I was just going to-“

Scrafty cuts Pikachu off. “You’re not going anywhere, kid.”

“Scrafty, what’s your deal? Why won’t you just leave me alone?” Pikachu sighs.

“I’m making sure you don’t find any easy way out of this.” Scrafty nudges Pikachu with his foot.

Soon, everyone else finds a group. The activity begins.

”Alright, class. What we will be doing is a little experiment. We will be mixing elements with each other to see how they react.” Mr. Bibarel pulls out a bunch of tiny capsules. "I have collected samples for each of these elements. Now, you may mix these elements with each other to see how they react. I will be assigning a couple of elements for every group.”

Mr. Bibarel passes out samples to every group. Pikachu, Scrafty, and Snivy receive a Psychic sample, as well as a rock sample.

"First, you need to create a hypothesis for what will happen when the elements collide." Mr. Bibarel announces.

“Hm…I think that when these two samples collide, the rock will be affected by the psychic power, and will start floating.” Says Snivy.

”I think that-“ Pikachu begins before being interrupted.

”I think you need to learn your place and shut your ass up.” Scrafty smirks. He smirks his diabolical, devious, all-too iconic, all-too obnoxious smirk.

Pikachu is filled with rage. Scrafty noticed the angry expression on Pikachu's face, and edges him on.

"Go on. Show me how heartless you really are, Pikachu. Show my your real rage." Scrafty flicks Pikachu's nose.

Pikachu sighs. "Just leave me alone."

Scrafty smacks Pikachu in the face.

"Whoops." Scrafty chuckles.

Pikachu tries to punch Scrafty, but Scrafty dodge. Pikachu is about to hit Snivy, but he notices this, and redirects his punch. However, he makes Snivy lose focus, and the Psychic sample fires the rock in Snivy's face.

"GAH!" Snivy falls back.

"Oh god, I'm so sorry..." Pikachu gasps.

"Goddamnit, Pikachu..." Snivy grumbled.

"Yikes, Pikachu. Is there anything you can do right?" Scrafty pats Pikachu on the head. "How are you gonna get your life straight if you can't even throw a straight punch?"

Pikachu feels like curling up into a ball and crying.

The rest of that evening went the same way. Scrafty had been tormenting Pikachu throughout all of it. When the school bell finally rang, Pikachu was miserable.

Pikachu walked his way home. Eevee decided to join him.

"Hey, what's up with you and Scrafty?" Eevee asks. "Things seem to be getting personal with you two."

"Tell me about it. Scrafty has been tormenting me over that mistake I made...And I'm scared he's right." Pikachu says.

"Right about what?" Eevee questions.

"Me using an excuse to run away from my problems." Pikachu replies. "With all this embarrassment, I need an escape. And he said that me going out to the forest wasn't me trying to solve the problem...It was me trying to escape it along with all my other ones. After all, I had no idea how I was actually going to fix it. I just went to the forest as if it would solve all me problems."

"Pikachu, what did I tell you about listening to Scrafty?" Eevee sighs.

"I know, but...He's been causing so much trouble and showing such aggression towards me...There has to be a reason why."

"I'll tell you why. It's because Scrafty's a big time bully." Eevee explains. "And you're his prime subject. A naive, impressionable newcomer."

"So how do I change that?" Pikachu asks.

"You can't change being a newcomer. It takes time." Eevee answers.

"But I need to get Scrafty off of my tail somehow. It's going to get to the point where he does something seriously awful to me..." Pikachu lightly trembled thinking about it.

"Scrafty? Nah, he can't do too much harm to you. Not if you don't let him get to you." Eevee reassures.

"He already has. He's physically hurt me. That injury I got this morning...That was no thorn bush. That was Scrafty." Pikachu admits.

"Yeah, I know. He pushed you into the thorn bush. But it was the thorn bush that did the damage. Scrafty is otherwise powerless-"

"There was no thorn bush." Pikachu interrupts Eevee. "That was all a cover-up."

"T-then what happened?" Eevee hesitatingly asks.

"It was Scrafty. Don't you get it? He beat me up. He pinned me to a tree and beat me down."

"T-That's awful...But Scrafty couldn't have possibly caused that huge cut you got, right?”

“He didn't do it with his own fists. He pulled out...The thing.”

“W-What thing?” Eevee stammers. “You couldn't possibly mean...”

“The dagger. The stupid dagger.” Pikachu finally admits.

Eevee stands, speechless. When she regains her senses, she gets pissed.

“He can't be doing this to you, Pikachu. I'm going to tell somebody.” Eevee declares.

“Don’t. Please don't. There’s no knowing what will happen if he finds out I told you what he did.”

“Well, somebody needs to know about this. Someone that can stop it. I'm not that person.” Eevee shakes her head. “You don’t deserve this, Pikachu.”

“...Yes, yes I do.” Pikachu sighs.

Eevee turns around. “Say that again?”

“I do, Eevee.” Pikachu repeats.

“Good. Now do me a favor...”

Eevee tightly grabs Pikachu.

“Don’t ever talk about my friend like that again.” Eevee sharply whispers.

Eevee walks away. Pikachu doesn't know what she plans to do about the situation, but he has a feeling it won't end well.

That feeling is sealed when he hears words that make his heart drop.

“Well, well, well...”

“Look at the little snitch.”

TO

BE

CONTINUED

Last edited:

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
A story about a Pikachu and an Eevee is definitely drawing upon the classics!

The way the prose is going for the opening is interesting. Third person present, but the italics seems to be for when things are happening in the scenery, but no italics if it pertains to dialogue? However, there are no italics with the associated narration to the dialogue. None of this is necessary. You don't need italics unless it's a flashback or some other indicator that the narration isn't taking place "in" the present time. You can get away from the "stage direction" style for proper story writing.

The narration is a little stilted and mechanical. I think the easiest way to point out specifically how it's stilted in this way it the fact that there is no variance in what words are used nor what kinds of sentence structures there are when someone does something. Simple sentences. You can definitely afford to introduce more complex sentences, for example by adding a comma for two very related sentences so you don't need to repeat the same subject and verb. For example, "he got a rock," and "he carved something," and "it was a word," can all simply be combined into, "he used a rock to carve out a word." You could also add some flair to the sentence if it's particularly significant. "He got a rock and pounded it into the mountain, carving letter after letter until it spelled a single word. CHANGE."

Things like that can really add to the feel of a story and not just be mechanical stage directions.

You can also afford to do some "implied" stage direction at times, too. There are a lot of sentences in the description dedicated to Pikachu approaching something before touching it, and then another sentence afterward explaining how it felt. All three of those sentences can be combined by only having the last sentence and maybe an extra word or two attributing it to Pikachu.

An example of this would be "The tree bark felt rough on Pikachu's soft paws," or something along those lines. That implies he approached and touched the bark without taking up too much time explaining that. It's efficient.

Scrafty is definitely the main mean kid of the group, huh? It seems like every opportunity he has, he takes it to be rude to everyone else.

I think you should find some different words than "rock" for some of the things that Pikachu interacts with. There was a point where Pikachu left one rock to go to another, but they were both simply referred to as "rock" with no differentiation, so it came off as a little silly. Perhaps crystal, or gemstone, or something else for something like that.

I'm not completely sure about how the team saw Heatmor's back when they're talking to him. They'd have to be facing him, right, or was he talking to them the whole time after he took the fire gem? But if so, why did the team seem so threatened about wanting to get away if he was already walking the path away from them?

Eevee randomly taking a piss on Weavile was comical but out of place during the fight, especially since logistically I imagine she'd have trouble with timing that while avoiding the many other Weavile going after them. Along with that, after seemingly setting up the fact that these outlaws were highly organized, being defeated by a bunch of random kids seemed a little hard to believe.

I'm also mildly surprised that after getting a classmate injured and doing all that, they only got the day in detention. Certainly got off lightly there.

Why does Pikachu take his dreams so seriously? I'm not sure why they're treated as an immediate prophecy when they haven't really been suggested to be as much, if anything. I guess perhaps it's a character flaw that he takes it seriously, along with the later scene with Scrafty, which was also concerning. Scrafty had a lot to say, and this is the second time in a row where he said something for a long time—the two biggest speeches in the whole fic so far—that didn't really make a lot of sense. Is he projecting? But if so, I don't understand how everyone seems to take what he's saying so seriously. Is the narrative taking him seriously as well? There's no internal monologue except to wonder if he's right, but this speech is so early and he barely actually knows Pikachu that it can't possibly be well-grounded.

The sequence with Pikachu and Snivy was very uncomfortable, to strong effect for the interactive, but what's most baffling is that it seemed to be happening in front of everyone and nobody really stepped in, even the teachers. It seemed to happening in a very overt way, but nothing was done? But even moreso, it seems like Scrafty was being validated by how everyone was being cold to Pikachu for no reason. I can't really connect why that happened so suddenly, especially when it was concentrated on him and not anyone else in that same group. Surely everyone knows that he's also a bully, right? It seems like public knowledge.

The last few lines also confuse me a little. Eevee says not to say that about his friend, is Eevee referring to Pikachu in the third person while talking to him? It was a little confusing how it was phrased, and how Scrafty seems to have this omnipresence with Pikachu at the same time. Overall, the most confusing things out the narrative is how inexplicably validated Scrafty is despite nothing happening that actually backs it up. I don't really know what to expect of the story if it's going to validate someone on a whim without a whole lot of evidence to back it up. I think, for future chapters, that would be a good way to get some clarity. Hope to see something like that in future chapters!

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Welcome to the forums! I figured I'd check out what you've posted so far here; been a while since I've started a new PMD fic, and this one is sort of an unusual premise! Pikachu doesn't seem to be an isekai'd human, and it looks like you're striking out on your own with the plot--always fun to see what people decide to do with the PMD setting!

I like the mysteries at the core of this story. What exactly happened to Pikachu's father (and what bearing might it have on where his life goes next?)? What's up with this weird rock and the outlaws who can apparently touch it when other people can't? It's pretty clear that Pikachu has much larger problems than attending school and trying to fit in with his peers, heh.

I'm curious to learn more about Eevee! She's obviously going to be very important to the narrative, and some of what she's told Pikachu, like how he shouldn't worry what others think of him, sounds like it's coming from a place of experience. Perhaps she has her own personal demons to worry about? Thus far we haven't seen much beyond the surface level with her, so I'm wondering when she's going to open up a bit more about her own self.

Not really sure what to make of Scraggy, either! He's been acting more than a little unstable--definitely seems to go from zero to 100 in a couple seconds flat. After being reluctant to resort to his illegal knife when faced with potentially-mortal danger, he sure was quick to bring it out again to threaten Pikachu later! With the way his mood seesaws, it's hard for me to really get a read on what he's about and what role he might play in this story. He's mostly been an antagonist so far, of course, but is he going to stay that way, or will he end up making peace with Pikachu and Eevee in the end?

Part of this, of course, is that I can't rely on my general familiarity with PMD game plots/common fanfic tropes, as it seems like you're really doing your own thing here! From the introduction of the outlaws who seem to be up to a lot more than typical marauding, I'd generally expect the story to break away from the school setting and take off into the larger world, but from your summary it sounds as though we're going to stay pretty tightly focused on this town. That's really cool--I always enjoy seeing people try something new with their fics. It feels as though this story could go all sorts of directions from here, which I think is pretty exciting!

I had a bit of trouble figuring out how old the characters are supposed to be here. The way the characters interacted with one another, and school assignments like "go find this flag while evading some basic obstacles," made me think that they were pretty young, but that seems a bit at odds with the brutality of the fight against the weavile--people getting their backs broken, or one of the kids peeing on a downed opponent, don't really give me that "elementary school" feel! So perhaps Pikachu's intended to be a teenager? I'm not really sure of his place in the world at the moment.

I did also find some of the mechanical errors in this story a bit distracting. There are plenty of simple typos, cases of missed apostrophes and other punctuation, and so on, as well as some more persistent issues like incorrect dialogue punctuation and confusion about "lie" vs "lay." It might be a good idea to look for a beta reader to help you catch some of those errors so you can put your best foot forward with your prose--the Beta Reader Directory is a good place to start looking for someone who could help you out with that. But the thing that probably stood out to me the most was something that Namo also mentioned, the fact that the majority of the fic is italicized, with lines that include dialogue being excluded. I don't think that can be an error, and you must be doing it deliberately, but I don't know why! It's not how you'd normally format English text, and I think most people would find it distracting--I think you'd be better off removing the italics unless you're indicating something like a flashback or dream sequence.

In any case, this is a fun and different spin on the PMD world, and I'm really curious where you're going to go with it. It feels like big things are being set into motion already! If you're interested in finding other fics to read, the focus on school with bigger problems building in the background reminds me a little of SparklingEspeon's Electric Sheep, which sticks closer to the PSMD storyline. This story also reminds me a bit of Raggy's 2/3... it's got a bit of a philosophical quality in how the schoolkids, in particular, interact with each other. I think 2/3 is a fun and different take on a PMD-esque setting, too! In any case, welcome again to Thousand Roads, and good luck with your writing!

Top Bottom