• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon PMD: Rangers of Sky

Grey

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
She/They
Iys4g8T.jpeg

Pokemon Rangers work day and night to protect people and Pokemon, no matter what. When fledgling ranger Eliza is thrown into a whole new world with her friends' lives on the line, what will she do to get everyone back home?

Hello and welcome to PMD: Rangers of Sky! We (Grey and Sol) came up with the concept for this Mystery Dungeon comic about two years ago, and we've had a lot of fun working on this story! Hopefully you enjoy it as much as we have creating it so far! This comic is entirely in black and white and in scroll format. We'll update the forums when we update with our 4 mirror options.​

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Heya! I just read through what's up so far and really enjoyed it. The art is lovely, the characterization is excellent, and the whole bit with the well was deliciously creepy and intriguing - can't wait to learn more about what was going on there. The world's got a lot of texture and flavor already, this whole interesting thing with Pokémon having prejudices regarding various types, and the Regi associations... Just a lot of good stuff here.

Also, d'awww Poppy having a fuzzy memory of always having to protect Eliza against wild Pokémon and assuming she must have been her daughter, my heart. Possibly my favorite bit so far.

I'll be excited to see this update - glad to have you here on Thousand Roads!

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Glad to see this posted here! I've enjoyed doing a little bit of a reread to refresh myself on the earlier pages. It's been a fun ride so far, and I love both the characters and all the mysteries you've set up! Right now I'm perhaps most eagerly waiting to see what happened to Zayne... and what pokémon he ended up as! With Eliza, there was the woobat doll that foreshadowed her transformation, but I didn't notice anything particularly pokémon-y associated with Zayne in the same way. So... tyranitar, maybe? Another woobat/swoobat? Tyranitar? Flygon??? Honestly, my extremely out-there pet theory is he ended up as one of the regis somehow. It would just cause so many problems.

It's interesting to me that Poppy ended up devolved into a fletchling, whereas Eliza started off as a swoobat. I wonder whether it means anything? It'll be fun to see how the dynamic between Eliza and Poppy changes now that they're thrown into a situation where the trainer/partner dynamic they'd previously been a part of doesn't exist. I agree with Dragonfree; I thought the bit where Poppy thought Eliza was her child because she remembered being responsible for protecting her was extremely cute and a highlight of the story so far.

And the art, of course, is wonderful and complements the story really well. I love all the environmental shots and focus on the world around the characters, since it feels as though the world is a particularly important part of this story, and I imagine Eliza's journey is going to take her across a fair portion of it! The image of a pokémon town built around a dormant(?) legend is wonderfully unusual and lends a lovely high-fantasy feel.

All in all, great work, and I'll be following future updates for sure!

Grey

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
She/They
Heya! I just read through what's up so far and really enjoyed it. The art is lovely, the characterization is excellent, and the whole bit with the well was deliciously creepy and intriguing - can't wait to learn more about what was going on there. The world's got a lot of texture and flavor already, this whole interesting thing with Pokémon having prejudices regarding various types, and the Regi associations... Just a lot of good stuff here.

Also, d'awww Poppy having a fuzzy memory of always having to protect Eliza against wild Pokémon and assuming she must have been her daughter, my heart. Possibly my favorite bit so far.

I'll be excited to see this update - glad to have you here on Thousand Roads!

Thank you so much! Me and Sol are both glad to be here and share the story we've concocted together. >:) I absolutely adore worldbuilding and characters, and Sol is an artist of the highest caliber (if I do say so myself!) so you'll be in for a treat the longer you read. (I have to resist so much sharing little tidbits about the story! And sometimes it gets cut to keep pacing ;c; the ultimate tragedy)

Poppy though is such an adorable mama, even if she's technically not Eliza's mom for sure. She's got a fun little arc she's gotta go through, and I can't wait to share it with you!!

Glad to see this posted here! I've enjoyed doing a little bit of a reread to refresh myself on the earlier pages. It's been a fun ride so far, and I love both the characters and all the mysteries you've set up! Right now I'm perhaps most eagerly waiting to see what happened to Zayne... and what pokémon he ended up as! With Eliza, there was the woobat doll that foreshadowed her transformation, but I didn't notice anything particularly pokémon-y associated with Zayne in the same way. So... tyranitar, maybe? Another woobat/swoobat? Tyranitar? Flygon??? Honestly, my extremely out-there pet theory is he ended up as one of the regis somehow. It would just cause so many problems.

It's interesting to me that Poppy ended up devolved into a fletchling, whereas Eliza started off as a swoobat. I wonder whether it means anything? It'll be fun to see how the dynamic between Eliza and Poppy changes now that they're thrown into a situation where the trainer/partner dynamic they'd previously been a part of doesn't exist. I agree with Dragonfree; I thought the bit where Poppy thought Eliza was her child because she remembered being responsible for protecting her was extremely cute and a highlight of the story so far.

And the art, of course, is wonderful and complements the story really well. I love all the environmental shots and focus on the world around the characters, since it feels as though the world is a particularly important part of this story, and I imagine Eliza's journey is going to take her across a fair portion of it! The image of a pokémon town built around a dormant(?) legend is wonderfully unusual and lends a lovely high-fantasy feel.

All in all, great work, and I'll be following future updates for sure!

We actually have a channel in our private discord filled with people's guesses on what Zayne is. He unfortunately didn't really get a good enough hint in my eyes, and if I could go back I would make sure to make something a lot more blatant. But! Also it's kinda fun seeing what people's guesses are, where they lean based on what they see. (Though y'all may see sooner rather then later)

Thank you so much! I agree Poppy is such a sweetheart and I can't wait to really get to explore her dynamic with Eliza a lot more throughout the story.

I also gotta agree, Sol's art is absolutely beautiful. More often then not I'm actually trying to get them to chill with how long they spend on each panel! They put so many details that often are so overlooked, but it breathes so much life into the story we've made. I can't wait to show you more of the story, a lot of your guesses for things is a lot of fun, and it shows me that hey! Maybe I do know what I'm doing sometimes! XD I appreciate this a whole lot, and I know Sol was over the moon with your long comment as well.

:(
And that's the last part for Chapter 2, thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Ahaha, I'm sure keeping a channel full of Zayne guesses would be loads of fun! When the reveal comes out, I'm sure some people will find their old thoughts pretty funny. :P

A very fitting end to this chapter, I think. It's no surprise that Eliza didn't find what she was looking for at the well, of course, but it's also obvious why she would cling to the idea of going there and finding at least some direction. Curious to see what she'll do now that it's clear that she's on her own to figure this out... probably finding Zayne is going to be the top priority, but assuming he doesn't know anything, what then? Finding the well empty is definitely a blow, but Eliza doesn't seem like the type to give up that easily; if nothing else, I suppose, we know there are another couple wells out there...

I enjoy that Breen managed to come out of the encounter with the shiftry with a free wonder orb. Sneakily done. :P

Look forward to whatever you may have in store for Chapter 3!

Grey

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
She/They
Ahaha, I'm sure keeping a channel full of Zayne guesses would be loads of fun! When the reveal comes out, I'm sure some people will find their old thoughts pretty funny. :P

A very fitting end to this chapter, I think. It's no surprise that Eliza didn't find what she was looking for at the well, of course, but it's also obvious why she would cling to the idea of going there and finding at least some direction. Curious to see what she'll do now that it's clear that she's on her own to figure this out... probably finding Zayne is going to be the top priority, but assuming he doesn't know anything, what then? Finding the well empty is definitely a blow, but Eliza doesn't seem like the type to give up that easily; if nothing else, I suppose, we know there are another couple wells out there...

I enjoy that Breen managed to come out of the encounter with the shiftry with a free wonder orb. Sneakily done. :P

Look forward to whatever you may have in store for Chapter 3!

Breen is if anything a little sneaky troublemaker, I trust him as far as I can throw him. I'm so excited for this next chapter, and the chaos that comes with it! It's gonna be a grand time, and I'm so glad you're enjoying it!

Eliza certainly has too much on the line to quit, if she just gave up! Well! What's the fun in that! XD

Chapter 3 is up and about! And it's starting with a little bit of a thrill.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Really glad to see another update for this comic. And the proper introduction of the chesnaught character, too! Love to see a chesnaught, and I bet absolutely-gigantic Guildmaster Camellia's going to be a lot of fun.

"You damn slurpee" is a pitch-perfect insult--in front of a child, though, oh my! Maybe it has something to do with Regice?

Seems like Breen's got some real fight in him when he puts his mind to it. Look forward to learning more about whatever happened to land him in the Guild's bad graces!

Grey

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
She/They
Really glad to see another update for this comic. And the proper introduction of the chesnaught character, too! Love to see a chesnaught, and I bet absolutely-gigantic Guildmaster Camellia's going to be a lot of fun.

"You damn slurpee" is a pitch-perfect insult--in front of a child, though, oh my! Maybe it has something to do with Regice?

Seems like Breen's got some real fight in him when he puts his mind to it. Look forward to learning more about whatever happened to land him in the Guild's bad graces!
Oh I agree I absolutely love Camilla, she's a blast. :) I'm excited to get to delve into what's going on between him and the guild, as well as insite a little more chaos, of course.

I am also excited for the slurpee situation TM, little things like this make it so much fun. It's just a constant huh? Wait wow rude but why. Breen is a little crass man when he wants to be, multitalented you could say XD

Breen is a bag of potatoes I accept no critism.

Comicfury
Deviantart
Webtoons
Tapas

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Love to see another update so soon!

Camellia is fun, I like her. Love seeing Breen being a little shit and Eliza and Poppy backing him up. Excited to see more of the guild!

Love the art in these pages, too, just very dynamic and expressive. Camellia being so big tickles me, and I enjoy the way you're drawing Minnow there, big bulky Mudkip. Eager for more when it comes!

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Very mysterious! An orb that’s nothing but water. And why was Breen off looking for trouble in Regice? And that’s “more” amnesia? Lots of interesting stuff to ponder over here. Glad to see some more regular updates, and I’m really looking forward to the visit to the Guild!

Grey

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
She/They
Look on the bright side Breen! Maybe jail has free food.

Comicfury
Webtoons
Tapas
DeviantArt

Love to see another update so soon!

Camellia is fun, I like her. Love seeing Breen being a little shit and Eliza and Poppy backing him up. Excited to see more of the guild!

Love the art in these pages, too, just very dynamic and expressive. Camellia being so big tickles me, and I enjoy the way you're drawing Minnow there, big bulky Mudkip. Eager for more when it comes!

Thank you so much! I'm really glad to be able to finally get into the guild, the one big downside of comics is certainly the fact that it takes so long to get anywhere LMAO XD Minnow as well is a bean! I love her with all my heart. Camilla I think should be allowed to be as big as she wants to be, which unfortunately for everyone else means as big as an actual tree XD

Very mysterious! An orb that’s nothing but water. And why was Breen off looking for trouble in Regice? And that’s “more” amnesia? Lots of interesting stuff to ponder over here. Glad to see some more regular updates, and I’m really looking forward to the visit to the Guild!

Thank you so much! Definitely we are still in a lot of the setup phase and building up to what's coming up in the future but it's a lot of fun because seeing people get to pick up on these little things and ponder about them makes me just so happy! ❤️

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Glad to see a new page up! :quag:

I continue to be delighted by Camilla's ridiculous size. Seems appropriate for someone representing a titan like Regigigas!

I also loved Poppy's (I assume?) drawing of Eliza. Of course a stick figure would have been her best guess at how to help people find her "child," awww.

I am really curious to learn more about what Breen did to deserve all this scorn, heh. Glad he's managed to stay out of chains for at least a little while longer!

Grey

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
She/They
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rangers of Sky

Chapter 3 part 5

Nice plot device you got there, Camilla

DeviantArt
Comicfury
Webtoons
Tapas

Glad to see a new page up! :quag:

I continue to be delighted by Camilla's ridiculous size. Seems appropriate for someone representing a titan like Regigigas!

I also loved Poppy's (I assume?) drawing of Eliza. Of course a stick figure would have been her best guess at how to help people find her "child," awww.

I am really curious to learn more about what Breen did to deserve all this scorn, heh. Glad he's managed to stay out of chains for at least a little while longer!

I'm glad for us to get a new page up! Camila's size is absolutely fantastic, I love seeing all the different perspectives and like just seeing how they've had to accommodate for this giant ass pokemon LMAO.

I do know that we had some cut dialogue at some point that had Eliza babble in her head about how Camilla has to be at least over seventy years old for her size since she's so huge, and comment she wonders how many rings are on her in her claws like she's a tree, but it ended up getting cut XD

Poppy's art skills are not to be trifled with, she's the ultimate artist!

And hehehe we'll find out I'm sure eventually about Breen :>

It's always lovely hearing from you Thank you so much for your comment! :D

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
GIANT POKÉMON WITH TINY SPECTACLES

That aside, I wonder whether Eliza's really managed to distract the guildmaster with that bauble, or if we'll see some more hard questioning soon, heh.

Her dream certainly does seem to suggest that the "plates" may be what lead her towards the well she needs to find. Excited for what looks like a bit of Lore coming up. :eyes:

Grey

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
She/They
Spit-take Rivers has been my brainworm for 6 months

Comicfury
Webtoons
DeviantArt
Tapas

That aside, I wonder whether Eliza's really managed to distract the guildmaster with that bauble, or if we'll see some more hard questioning soon, heh.

Her dream certainly does seem to suggest that the "plates" may be what lead her towards the well she needs to find. Excited for what looks like a bit of Lore coming up. :eyes:

GIANT POKEMON WITH TINY SPECTACLES!!! It's my favorite little itty bitty cute thing pokemon can have. I think Camilla has to keep spares out of occasionally breaking them XD

I'm excited you're excited! Ehehe I can't say anything obviously but it's gonna be a lot of fun and I hope you'll get to have fun too.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
lmao Camellia's not having any of Eliza's bullshit. Curious if we're going to learn a little more about Breen next page. :eyes:

So we've got a delphox founder of Registeel and a chesnaught guildmaster of Regigigas... wonder if we'll see a greninja, soon, and whether they end up being associated with Regice, which everyone around here seems so wary of. Rivers is certainly a delight; I'm sure she hasn't stuck Camilla with anything dangerous, or any artifact which might have unpleasant consequences down the line...

Grey

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
She/They
Next page is the last one, because Eliza gets rekt

Merry Christmas and happy holidays, everyone!

Deviantart
Comicfury

lmao Camellia's not having any of Eliza's bullshit. Curious if we're going to learn a little more about Breen next page. :eyes:

So we've got a delphox founder of Registeel and a chesnaught guildmaster of Regigigas... wonder if we'll see a greninja, soon, and whether they end up being associated with Regice, which everyone around here seems so wary of. Rivers is certainly a delight; I'm sure she hasn't stuck Camilla with anything dangerous, or any artifact which might have unpleasant consequences down the line...
Camellia has been around the block enough times to start to smell bullshit when it's being wafted about. :D
Ehehe~ And thank you so much, it's so great to hear the excitement for the worldbuilding, and what's going on. You can a hundred percent trust Rivers I'm sure, and there's no consequences for anything ever, nooooo.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Chapter 0/ Prologue

HOOOLLLYYYY SMOKES

What a start

I definitely remember trying to start this once before and just forgetting. I regret that now.

Man I have to say the art is exquisite. The decision to stick to a black and white style is brilliant. Not only is it bold and captivating but it must save so much headache on coloring and shading lol.

Once I actually started rewi was immediately hooked. Very vibe. I like the dynamic of Eliza Zayne. She's trying to be straight laced and professional on her first day and Zayne is treating this really chill. She seems to very much be determined to prove herself on her first outing and Zayne is content not to stress.

Until, of course TYRANITAR WITH A STEEL CHAIR (aka unnerve) I have to say the entire Tyranitar 'fight' was terrifying. The incorporation of the ability unnerve was just peak, the expressions and fear were palpable. I also am extremely into the implications that Rangers are aware of stats. Zayne's acknowledgement that it's 'special attack' was too high is great. I always imagine that stats are a sort of in-world classification or measurement system.

Also you hit my favorite trope of someone taking a hit for someone they care about.

And then the Demon in the Well or whatever it is? Man what a chilling scene. A very interesting deal... I wonder if it's telling the truth.

Everything about the start was exquisite and I can't wait to see where these characters go. You've got me hooked.

Grey

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
She/They
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rangers of Sky
Chapter 3 page 8​

How much worse do you think this will get once Breen gets dragged in?

Comicfury
Deviantart
Webtoons
Tapas

Chapter 0/ Prologue

HOOOLLLYYYY SMOKES

What a start

I definitely remember trying to start this once before and just forgetting. I regret that now.

Man I have to say the art is exquisite. The decision to stick to a black and white style is brilliant. Not only is it bold and captivating but it must save so much headache on coloring and shading lol.

Once I actually started rewi was immediately hooked. Very vibe. I like the dynamic of Eliza Zayne. She's trying to be straight laced and professional on her first day and Zayne is treating this really chill. She seems to very much be determined to prove herself on her first outing and Zayne is content not to stress.

Until, of course TYRANITAR WITH A STEEL CHAIR (aka unnerve) I have to say the entire Tyranitar 'fight' was terrifying. The incorporation of the ability unnerve was just peak, the expressions and fear were palpable. I also am extremely into the implications that Rangers are aware of stats. Zayne's acknowledgement that it's 'special attack' was too high is great. I always imagine that stats are a sort of in-world classification or measurement system.

Also you hit my favorite trope of someone taking a hit for someone they care about.

And then the Demon in the Well or whatever it is? Man what a chilling scene. A very interesting deal... I wonder if it's telling the truth.

Everything about the start was exquisite and I can't wait to see where these characters go. You've got me hooked.

Ohhh your comment is so sweet! I'm so glad you're enjoying the story so far and love the prologue! The details of you going to each scene and giving your thoughts is so exhilarating!! It's a serious joy to get to read and I've read your comment quite a few times XD You're picking up on a few details which makes me so happy as a writer. ❤️ thank you so much!

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Dang, missed a page??

It's heartwarming to see how steadfastly Poppy believes Eliza's her chick, despite the frankly extremely suspicious circumstances. And the guildmaster certainly seems to trust her, which makes me wonder what all she's been up to since getting bamfed into PMD!world to have earned that respect.

Also very curious whether Camellia is offended by Eliza's reference to Arceus because it's ~taking the lord's name in vain~ or because Arceus is recognized as demonic/malevolent the same way the well spirit seems to perceive it. Looking forward to getting more info on the cosmology of this world whenever it comes!

Really tense scene! Feels like things could go either way here, with Camellia either agreeing to help... or just getting pissed off and leaving Eliza & co with the guild to worry about on top of everything else. Like you said, I can't imagine Breen's presence will make the guildmaster more inclined to help!

Top Bottom