• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Chapter 1

FistsTornAsunder

A deviation from the Design
Pronouns
He/him
An amnesiac Bulbasaur tries to make sense of his own identity, a deviation from the design. His friend, a Buizel hungry for adventure, wants to prove her worth to the ones around her. Together, in unison, they will have to discover the truth behind the mystery dungeon, and foil the plans of the secretive Usurper.

Hello, everyone.

I humbly present to you "All Our Tomorrows", a story that has been through so many iterations I've honestly lost track already. Every time I tried to write it, it fell apart, or I lost interest, or I went through something that made me rethink my priorities.

This time, however, I've finally managed to keep a consistent writing schedule, and I've properly planned ahead (maybe a bit too much), so I'm posting it here in search for feedback, since English is not my first language. Most of all, however, I'm doing it with the intention of reaching as many people as possible, and in hopes that someone gets some enjoyment out of it.

No content warnings as of yet, but considering this story may touch on very personal subjects, I may have to include them at some point. We'll see, I guess. In the meantime, here it goes.

Chapter 1:
I Appear Missing

There was, quite literally, very little in the small Pokémon's mind besides the urge to continue forward. Despite the morning fog that enshrouded his path almost as much as his mind, he had managed to left behind the unmerciful terrain of the crags after days of wandering alone. In front of him, the rocky road extended as far as his very limited field of view allowed him to see.

His four stubby legs were not made with that kind of terrain in mind. Swamps, forests, and grassy terrain were more fit for a Bulbasaur, who had yet to develop the thick skin his final form was known for. That, combined with the fear of being assaulted at any moment, made the traveler yearn for some kind of resting place that did not require him to sleep with one eye open.

The other thing bothering him, perhaps a bit more worrying, was the slow but sure dehydration of his body. Not only had his mouth dried up, but the increasingly heavy bulb on his back had started to itch horribly the night before, which stopped him from even being able to sleep properly. He did not quite understand his connection to the plant, but it did not take a genius to understand that it was complaining about being tied to a creature unable to provide it with its most basic sustenance.

The need for rest and water were just two of the things that compelled him to continue forward, the third one being a bit more complicated. He did not wish to dwell on those imperative needs, however, so he shook his head and continued onward.

After that point, it did not take long before he could finally discern the figure of another Pokémon near the side of the road. His eyes opened wide, but then he narrowed them again in an attempt to better understand the shape that stood in front of him, a dark blue blur that appeared to be resting on the floor.

"Hey!" he cried, using the last of his strength to approach the figure. He noticed the hoarseness in his own voice, after days of barely speaking, but paid it no mind. "Hello! Can you help me?"

Upon closer inspection, the Pokémon revealed itself to be a Sneasel. A female one, specifically, judging by the short red feather covering its left ear. She got up, almost immediately, and stared back at him with narrowed eyes.

"Who are you?" she hissed, her knees bent and her claws to her sides. "What do you want?"

Bulbasaur stopped dead in his tracks as he recognized the hostility in her pose. He stepped back a bit before clearing his throat.

"S-sorry," he said, slowly removing his dark brown hood. "I didn't mean to startle you. I'm just a traveler looking for something to eat or drink, and I was wondering if you could point me towards the nearest town."

The bipedal Pokémon relaxed her posture, although the suspicious look in her face did not disappear immediately.

"Is that so?" the bipedal Pokémon inquired. Her voice was breathy and a bit rough. "You certainly don't look like you're from around here. Not many grass-types dare to cross the crags without provisions, you know?"

Bulbasaur simply nodded. There was a lingering threat in her voice, still, so he decided he would proceed as carefully as possible.

"I'm not looking for trouble, I swear," he explained, daring to step a little closer. "And if I were, I mean, you're an ice-type, you should have no trouble dispatching me, right? Plus, I'm not exactly in great shape right now. I could not hurt you if I wanted to."

The Sneasel then took a moment to get a good look of the grass-type, walking in a circle around him while keeping her distance. She raised her eyebrows upon finishing her inspection, and her expression immediately changed into one of slight regret.

"I'm sorry," she said. "As I'm sure you understand, one can never be too careful when traversing these paths, especially around this time of the year. Many criminals use these abandoned roads to ambush travelers, and even pilgrims such as yourself."

"Pilgrims?" he repeated, confused. "No, I'm sorry, I'm just looking for the nearest town. I... don't think I have a destination in mind. Do a lot of pilgrims pass through here?"

"You don't know?" the dark-type Pokémon asked, subtle surprise in her tone. "You really are not from around here, then. The paths the pilgrims follow to reach the Obsidian Bastion are not far off from here. It began after the Usurpation, when... well, you know. We all cope in different ways, I suppose."

She paused and pointed a clawed finger towards the way Bulbasaur had come.

"It got to the point where some mountain dwellers began to come down at this time of the year, and most of them follow this path. Even them, who were not affected by the Usurpation in the slightest... the world is going crazy, I tell you."

"Then there's a town nearby, right?" Bulbasaur asked, eager to get to a place where he could get proper rest, and caring not for the Sneasel's contextless explanations. "Could you point me in its direction, please?"

"Bitterroot is close to here, as it happens," she explained. "Allow me to accompany you, since I was planning on heading back anyways. The town can get a little overbearing this time of year."

It was an unusual gesture of kindness from a Pokémon he had just met, Bulbasaur thought, but a very welcome one. If she was right about the pilgrims, then he would most likely need help navigating the town.

"Sure," replied the grass-type. "I just need a place to rest, and something to drink, if possible. The rest is secondary."

He had no money, of course, but he would worry about that when the time came. He had enough in his plate already.

"That thing on your back must be killing you… no worries, I know just the place," the Sneasel claimed with a knowing smile as she began to walk away. She motioned him to follow her. "Don't get separated, and we'll be there in no time."

The Bulbasaur nodded, reasonably more relaxed now. Despite her initial reaction, the Sneasel seemed fairly friendly now, and she had no real reason to hurt him, as far as he knew. There was something strange about her, to be sure, but every Pokémon he had crossed paths with up until then had been unusual in one way or another.

No matter, he thought. Once he did what he had come to do, it would all be over with, and he could continue with his life.

Or so he hoped, at least.

FistsTornAsunder presents

A Pokémon fanfiction

CvTiGYD.png

BOOK I:
SEEDS

It had been a week since the yearly pilgrimage to the Obsidian Bastion began, and Caspia had had very little time to rest her body or mind during that time. Her job was not particularly difficult, but every day the inhabitants of Bitterroot seemed to find new ways of making it mentally exhausting.

"Get on with that already, you're scaring the costumers away!" a rusty old Loudred yelled as he emphatically motioned her to leave with both hands. "You think my clients come here to look at these guys' mugs?"

"Shut up, Lennard," Caspia snapped, not even bothering to look away from the 'wanted' poster she was currently putting up besides his stand.

Once she was done, the Buizel spat a bit of fresh water over her orange paws to quickly dissolve the adherent sap.

"If you don't let me do my job, the Rescue Department may get a tip about all the times I saw this guy at your store," she threatened, pointing, with now clean fingers, at the portrait of a suspicious-looking Hitmonchan that filled most of the poster.

The Loudred grumbled something, but ultimately decided to let the matter go. He went back inside the orb store, clenching his fists with barely contained rage, and Caspia had to stop herself from laughing out loud.

That'll keep him quiet for at least a couple days, she thought as she bent down to pick up her work materials and put them back inside her bag. The absence of more posters meant she was done for the day, and all that was left to do was to go fetch her payment.

She had gotten so used to the scores of Pokémon that passed through Bitterroot during the pilgrimage that she had developed an outstanding ability to evade the ever-shifting stream of bodies. Walking through the streets of the town during the first weeks of spring was like trying to navigate a battlefield, as all kinds of Pokémon were trying to make their way to any kind of lodging they could get their appendages on.

Thanks to her natural slipperiness, the Buizel had no trouble making her way through the overcrowded streets of a town whose layout she knew by memory. She made a conscious effort to avoid contact with any strangers, which was an impressive skill considering she had to carry a large leather bag with her at all times, along with her trusty sap bucket.

She began to make plans for the rest of her day as she crossed the street that led to the Bitterroot Rescue Department headquarters. It was a stark, stone building, famous for being among the oldest in the town. And it showed, Caspia thought, as it appeared to look grimier and more deteriorated with each passing week.

"Any day, this place is going to fall apart…" mumbled the Buizel as she approached the main door. The rock walls at both sides of it were chipped and covered in moss, and certainly looked like even the weakest attack could cause them to collapse.

Caspia had certainly fantasized with that idea, and she held absolutely no regrets. Seeing that old, rotting place finally topple down, freeing her of such a boring, repetitive job, would certainly be a sight to behold.

Before she could reach the door of the building, however, she saw two familiar Pokémon cross it in the opposite direction. Her face lit up instantly as she recognized the proud but delicate gait of the purple Sylveon, and the muscular Marowak that followed soon behind.

"Good morning, Caspia," the Sylveon greeted her in a sweet, almost musical tone. "Here to get paid, I assume?"

"You know that's the only reason I actually come here, Darian," replied Caspia. She raised the metal bucket in her left hand. "And to return this. You guys back from a mission?"

"Not really, no," Darian said, looking somewhat embarrassed, as he used one of the ribbons coming out of his ears to scratch his chin."Marv sent me to check everything was going smoothly with the pilgrimages. And since I didn't want to come alone, I asked Raokan to join me!"

Upon hearing his name, the dark blue Marowak waved in their general direction. He planted his massive bone club on the floor, in front of him, and placed his hands on the handle.

"You know how good he is at dragging me into this kind of thing," he said. His tone denoted slight annoyance, but Caspia had known him for long enough to understand the friendly banter between the two. "But I get why he did. This place is a nightmare to traverse at this time of the year."

Caspia let out a sardonic chuckle.

"I mean, it's not like the Rescue Department gets any less crappy the rest of the year," she noted with a shrug. "But, during the pilgrimage, these guys get to capture more criminals, so at least they can pretend like this place isn't a total joke."

Raokan snorted, but spoke nothing else of the matter. Darian, on the other hand, seemed to be slightly troubled about the comment, and stepped towards the Buizel.

"Unofficially, I agree with you," he said in a lower voice. "But considering the state of things, it's important for us to we make sure this place keeps working, even under the circumstances."

"I guess..."

"Besides, it's not all bad!" the Sylveon added, returning to his usual, more whimsical tone of voice. "The posters you put up are really helping!"

Caspia wanted to take that as a compliment, she really did. She knew that Darian was saying it with the best intentions in mind, but there was something deeply sad about the idea that her biggest accomplishment in her decade and a half on Bitterroot was being good at a monotone job she did not even enjoy.

"Yeah, sure," she brushed off the comment with a light chuckle.

"I'm not joking!" Darian insisted, gently placing his left paw on the Buizel's shoulder. "Just today, they captured that one Bulbasaur criminal that has been on the run for years. If it weren't for all your hard work, I'm sure he would've never been identified!"

Caspia's eyes widened. Now, that was something that she was not expecting to hear that day… or any day, for that matter. She had been seeing that Bulbasaur's face ever since she started working for the Rescue Department, and all her questions about his crimes had only been met with complete uncertainty.

"Really?" she asked, her eyebrows rising. "Took them long enough. Did they tell you what he did?"

"They don't know, either," replied the Sylveon. "Perhaps it's been so long that even they don't remember what he was supposed to be arrested for…"

"Figures," Caspia said with a roll of the eyes. "It's kind of a miracle they don't forget to pay me at the end of the month, so I guess keeping track of the criminals they're supposed to catch is too much to ask."

Darian let out an awkward chuckle. Caspia knew the Sylveon was sympathetic to her situation, but there was very little he could do about it that he had not tried yet.

"We should really get going, Darian," Raokan said, pointing her thumb towards the road behind them. "It is getting late, and I do not want to miss lunch again."

"Yeah, you guys go eat lunch!" Caspia parroted, her mischievous smile returning to her face. "I'm going to go check out that Bulbasaur outlaw. You know, for research purposes!"

"Be careful in there," warned the Sylveon, his voiced tinged with concern. "Marv would never forgive me if he found out you got in trouble because of me."

"Bet he would thank you for getting rid of me," Caspia replied, accompanying her statement with a sarcastic laugh. "No, but seriously, tell him I still want to join you guys. It would be a dream come true."

"I… I know that, dear," Darian's worry turned into sadness, even pity. Caspia averted her gaze, fearing she had come off as too direct. "I'll see what I can do, yes?"

The young Buizel nodded, and gave her friend a faint smile. As she watched Darian and Raokan leave, she was overcome by a deep sense of powerlessness, though, and quicky turned away so she could focus on her immediate surroundings.

She spent a few more moments in silence, composing herself, before finally walking into the building.

The main hall of the Rescue Department was as crowded as usual, which was not a lot. Caspia took a good look at the place as she waited for the receptionist to pay her and saw only bored Pokémon moving paperwork around, with so little energy she wondered if some of them might be sleepwalking.

She grimaced as she imagined herself trapped in such an unsavory job, and felt thankful that she could, at least, go outside and socialize a bit. Sure, the actual rescue teams could also do that, but she had long given up the dream of being accepted into one, even if her credentials were better than the average. The only other possibility was to work behind a desk the rest of her life, and she was pretty sure she was going to either quit or go insane before that happened.

While the Ludicolo at the reception desk counted her money, she impatiently gazed upon the entrance of the hallway that led to the containment area. So distracted she was, that she didn't even check if the amount was right when the receptionist finally handed her the money, despite knowing that the Pokémon was infamous for pocketing considerable amounts of some of the employees' money.

Any other Pokémon her size would've been scared as a Wimpod to walk so nonchalantly in front of the cells of dangerous criminals, but Caspia trusted her own abilities enough to not feel endangered by any Pokémon of their kind. As long as they were between bars, of course. Besides, the place was mostly empty, and not exactly what one would call intimidating: the stone hallway was grey and dull, with small shiny stones placed on each side to allow employees some visibility.

Many times had the young Buizel strolled past those cells to take a good look at recently captured outlaws, so the two Watchog standing guard did not even ask for her identification. She walked past empty cell after empty cell, eager to find the Pokémon she wanted to interview. She did not have to wait long, as she soon found herself looking at a tired-looking Bulbasaur, curled up in a ball in the corner of his cell.

"There you are," Caspia said, leaning against the bars of the cell. "You've been causing a lot of headaches around here, haven't you, little guy?"

The Bulbasaur turned his hood-covered head to look at her. Much to her surprise, he didn't look angry, or even slightly annoyed at her presence. If anything, he looked happy to see her, as he immediately got up and approached the door of the cell.

Out of pure instinct, Caspia hastily took a few steps back.

"That's close enough," she stated, raising a paw to emphasize her point. The Bulbasaur seemed to get the point, and immediately stopped walking. Her eyes narrowed once she got a good look at his face. "Hm, that's kinda weird. You look way too friendly for a wanted criminal."

"A criminal?" the Bulbasaur asked. He sounded way more innocent than what Caspia could've imagined, but during all her years working at the Department, she had learned that the more friendly a criminal looked, the more likely they were to stab her in the back. "Do yo know who I am?"

She took a careful step towards the cell, although her guard did not lower. She knew that if she got in trouble there, it would only be her fault, and she did not want to have to hear from her superiors if she messed up.

"I work here, dummy," she replied, knocking her left knuckle against her forehead. "Of course I know who you are! I've seen the face of every outlaw that has ever set foot in Bitterroot at least once. And I mean that literally, cause-"

"No, that's not what I mean," the Bulbasaur interrupted her, assuming a more attentive position. He removed his hood with one of his front paws. "I mean, do you know my name? Can you tell me who I am, or where I'm from, or… anything? Any tiny bit of information will do, at this point."

Caspia tilted her head to the side. She found herself strangely reassured by his tone: if he was putting up an act, he was very good at it. He would have to try way harder than that to make her drop her guard, though.

"Is… is this a trick?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. "Are you trying to get information out of me, or something? Because it's not going to work, dude. I'm way too smart to fall for your tricks!"

"What? No!" the Bulbasaur yelped. He stepped back and scratched his chin. He seemed more confused about the situation than her, Caspia thought. "I'm not trying to trick you, seriously. I just… it's hard to explain, alright? But, if you have any kind of information about me at all, I need you to tell me right now!"

"Alright, slow down," Caspia said. She pinched the bridge of her nose with one of her paws. "What are you talking about? I came here because I wanted to know more about you. That's kind of how it works, right? The enforcers do it all the time when they interrogate a criminal."

The confusion in the Bulbasaur's face gave away to frustration. He sat back down, mumbling something to himself, and Caspia began to question the Pokémon's sanity. Despite her curiosity, she had started to think she may be better off leaving the grass-type alone for the time being.

There was an aching in her mind, though, something compelling her to continue talking to him, if only because of how paradoxical the situation seemed. Plus, she was not about to waste her trip to the containment area.

"Alright, I'll tell you what I know," she lied, relaxing her posture. "After you tell me how you got yourself in this mess, cause I really want to know what's your deal. Reciprocity, as they say. You help me, I help you, yadda yadda yadda…"

The Bulbasaur looked a bit surprised by her cooperative demeanor, and initially Caspia believed he had seen right through her lie. After a while, though, the prisoner began to scratch the back of his head, his lips slightly pursed as he uttered his response.

"That's the thing, though," he said. "I don't really know what I did. I came to this town looking for someone, a Pokémon recognized me from one of those wanted posters, and they threw me in here without asking questions!" he looked straight at Caspia's eyes. "I swear, that's all I can tell you right now, because it's all I remember."

Caspia was not having any of that, though. It was the laziest, less interesting variation of the 'I'm innocent' rant she'd seen yet, and that was saying a lot considering how many outlaws she'd had the pleasure of talking to through the years.

"Welp, you're not as interesting as I thought you would be, that's for sure," she concluded, rolling her eyes. "If you don't want to tell me anything, you don't have to, but this little conversation is over. Thanks for wasting my time, I guess."

She turned around with full intention to leave. This made the Bulbasaur go back to his desperate pleas, and he pressed his body against the bars in an attempt to get her attention again. By the time he managed to slip one of his front legs through the bars of his cell, however, Caspia was already too far away for him to do anything.

"No, wait!" he cried. "Please, don't leave! I really don't have any idea of what's going on! I just… I remember what the guards said! They were taking orders from something called, uh… the Obsidian Army? Or the Obsidian… something, I can't really recall."

Caspia stopped dead in her tracks.

You're kidding me, she thought. There's no way this is what this guy's been about all this time, right?

"The Obsidian Order," she corrected him. She turned around, dead serious, and looked at the Bulbasaur straight in the eye. "You're saying they were talking about the Obsidian Order?"

"Yeah, that was it," the grass-type replied as he backed away a bit, physically recoiling in reaction to Caspia's sudden change in tone. "Does that… ring a bell?"

Now, if the Bulbasaur was indeed trying to deceive her, he was doing an astonishing job, because the confusion in his eyes was anything but fake. If he was telling the truth, however, and he had some kind of relationship with the Obsidian Order, then he was certainly worth her time, more than she could have initially imagined. The question now was: was she really going to give him a chance just based on that assumption?

She took a deep breath before examining her surroundings. She wondered how much time she had before the guards started to wonder what was taking her so long.

"It does, actually," she replied. Her change in tone must have been particularly drastic, because the Bulbasaur's expression went from desperate to curious almost immediately. "What did they say about them?"

"Um, not a whole lot, actually," the Bulbasaur confessed. "They mentioned they were waiting for them to come pick me up instead of sending me straight to jail."

"That makes no sense…" Caspia mumbled.

She knew some Pokémon respected the authority of the Obsidian Order, but she had never heard of a collective directly working under fact, the opposite was true in most occasions: the Obsidian Order worked alone, and allowed no outsiders into their ranks. The whole affair was getting more suspicious by the moment...

And, even then, the genuine confusion in the Bulbasaur's voice, combined with the strange circumstances surrounding his imprisonment, compelled her to believe him.

"Who are those guys, though?" the grass-type asked.

"Too long to tell," drily replied the young Buizel. She turned her head towards the entrance once more, considering her options. She wondered if the guards were working with the Order as well. "All you need to know right now is that they mean trouble."

The Bulbasaur slowly nodded. An awkward silence slowly settled around them, as Caspia tried to come up with a sensible course of action. Perhaps it was the sincere curiosity displayed by the Bulbasaur, or perhaps the fact that the line that was being crossed had completely messed with her moral compass, but she had a tough decision to make… and the more time she spent thinking about it, the less likely she was to succeed.

"I can't believe I'm about to say this," she concluded, "but I don't think you're lying. And you need to believe me when I tell you you don't want to be here when the Obsidian Order shows up."

"Then… can you help me get out?"

There it was. The one decisive question, the inquiry that had the potential to change her life, for better or worse. It was so simple, and so easy to answer, that it almost felt deceiving: everything she ever wanted from her job, from her father… on the palm of her paw.

She looked at the Bulbasaur again, and she made her decision.

"Alright," she said. "I may not fully trust you, but I can't just sit back and watch those morons take you away to do Arceus knows what to you."

"J-just like that?" inquired the Bulbasaur. "I mean, not that I'm not thankful, but I thought it would take a bit more convincing to get you to help me."

Caspia let out a tired sigh.

"Look, I can't give you all the details right now, but it's not like I care that much about this job anyway," she explained. "I'm going to get you to a place where they can help you. The second I start to suspect you, though, I'll throw you in here again. You get me?"

"Yeah, I guess…"

"Then stand back if you don't want to get hurt."

Upon hearing those words, the grass-type Pokémon immediately moved away from the door. Caspia then lifted her head, struggling a bit to recall the technique she had learned a few years ago. She had lost a bit of practice, but she was fairly sure she could still replicate it, at least to a point where it became useful.

She began to salivate, as if she was readying a water move. Instead of releasing it immediately, though, she concentrated on imagining the process through which water becomes ice. Soon, she began to feel the cold gather in her mouth and, fearing she would lose control of the attack, she opened her mouth. Instead of simply spitting out the icy water, though, she released a small but potent wave of cold breath that froze the lock to the door almost instantly.

The Bulbasaur tilted his head to the side, then touched the now frozen lock with one of his front legs. Upon feeling the coldness, however, he quickly recoiled. His skin was vulnerable to extreme temperatures, and he had started to feel a quite annoying tingle running through the tips of his fingers before even touching the lock.

"That's… impressive," he commented as he shook his paw to get rid of the feeling. "How did you know that would work?"

Caspia soon found herself gasping for air, and she leaned against the bars of the cell to rest her body.

"Wasn't… hard to figure out…" she said between labored breaths. "Huff, sorry. These cells weren't built with ice-types in mind. They can handle fire, punches, acid... all that stuff. But I've worked here long enough to know their weakness!"

It took her a few seconds to regain her composure. After she did, she finished the job by hitting the frozen lock with her elbow with enough strength that it crumbled under her paw, icy pieces covering the floor beside her feet.

Still feeling the adrenaline rush of the two attacks she'd performed, she grabbed the Bulbasaur by his cloak and dragged him out of the cell before he even had a chance to thank her. She paid no mind to the ice shards she failed to avoid stepping on.

"Now, listen closely, Bulbasaur," she said, trying to sound as intimidating as possible. "You've seen what I can do with my ice attacks, so don't try anything weird. If you come with me, I promise you I'll keep you safe from those guys, but you have to trust me as much as I'm trusting you."

"I already told you I'm not trying to trick you," quietly stated the Bulbasaur before pulling away from her. "I'll do whatever you want, seriously. There's some stuff I need to take care of, so as long as you can get me out of here, I won't cause trouble."

"Good to know," replied Caspia. She crossed her arms and looked at the entrance to the hallway, wondering how she was going to manage to slip the Bulbasaur past all of the workers. "Alright, before we get out of here we need to take care of the guards. Can you use your powers on them?"

The Bulbasaur was then able to take a good look at his rescuer for the first time, thanks to the dim light of the shiny stones. Caspia suddenly felt slightly self-conscious about her unkept fur.

"Sure, why not," the Bulbasaur finally replied, although his voiced betrayed his nervousness. "It's not like I have anything to lose…"

"Cool," replied the Buizel. "Cause your powers are going to be especially useful against them!"

She began to quietly walk towards the end of the hallway, trying to make as little noise as possible, and making sure the Bulbasaur was following her.

Their escape promised to be quite challenging, and risky for both of them, each for their own reasons, but Caspia felt a kind of hope she hadn't felt in a long time, and that was enough for her.

Last edited:
Chapter 2

FistsTornAsunder

Pronouns
He/him

Chapter 2:
On the Run

The Watchog stared, eyes narrowed, into the empty alleyway, still not convinced that their short but intense chase had been for nothing.

His partner had turned away a while ago, defeated and worried about the demotion that likely awaited them. After a few more seconds of using his enhanced vision to make sure the two Pokémon had truly disappeared, he too turned back after a tired sigh.

"That was close," whispered Bulbasaur from their small hideout after the rodent passed them by. A conveniently placed berry cart had provided them with coverage during their escape, and they had managed to drag it out of the alleyway with them without being seen.

"It shouldn't have been," Caspia mused. Once the Watchog was out of view, she violently pushed the cart away from them, causing some of the small red berries to scatter all over the floor. "When were you going to tell me you can't use any moves, huh? Cause all this could've been avoided if I knew what I was dealing with!"

"I already said I was sorry, alright?" the Bulbasaur replied. He looked around to make sure nobody was listening in on them, but the few Pokémon that walked around that area seemed to not care at all about their conversation. "I don't exactly know how to use my moves just yet."

"Just yet?" parroted the Buizel in exasperation, holding her head in between her hands. "What are you, five? Even the dumbest grass-type can cast a sleeping powder!"

With pursed lips and a guilty conscience, Bulbasaur began to pick up the berries that laid at his feet. He turned one in his hand and examined it: its crimson surface was covered in yellow spots, and a long leaf protruded from the top of it. He put one in his mouth as he considered his options.

"Well?" Caspia insisted. "Anything to say for yourself?"

He turned his head to face her again and, noticing the uneasiness of her stance, decided to take things easy.

"This is going to sound a bit crazy," he said. "And I don't blame you if you don't believe me, but..." he trailed off, trying to predict how this information would affect his partner in crime. "I'm amnesiac."

Arms crossed, his partner stared at him in silence for several seconds that felt way longer than they naturally should be.

"You're kidding," she stated, plainly. It didn't feel like a question, but Bulbasaur was sure she meant it as one.

"I'm sorry, but it's the truth," he assured her. "I don't remember anything before the last few days, and even those are a bit foggy… I'm not sure what happened to me, but-"

"And didn't you think keeping that piece of information from me was a bad idea, Bulbasaur?" snapped the Buizel, walking up to him and raising her index finger to poke him right between the eyes. "Cause maybe you should've told me that before I came up with a plan that depended on your stupid useless moves! Now that they know we've escaped, the whole town is going to be looking for us!"

"I didn't want you to leave me behind, alright?" the grass-type protested, averting hher gaze. "I'm not stupid. I know you wouldn't have believed me if I told you right away…"

"Yeah, cause it's a terrible excuse!" retorted the Buizel. "Do you know how many times I've heard an outlaw say they didn't remember committing a crime? It's like, the oldest trick in the book."

"It's not an excuse…" Bulbasaur muttered. "Look, if I was lying, why would I risk being captured again by not using my moves? Don't you think that would be a stupid decision?"

Caspia crossed her arms and looked up with a pensive expression. Then, she looked back at him and shrugged, a defeated groan escaping her mouth.

"So, we're in the same page now," he stated. He remembered something the Buizel had told him while he was inside his cell, and his face lit up again. "But you knew things about me, though, right? You said you could give me information. Maybe if you tell me, I'll be able to piece together what happened. Not sure if that would help me use a move, but we have to start somewhere, right?"

Caspia's annoyed expression quickly turned into one of uncertainty. It was her turn to avert her gaze, turning towards the berry cart before replying.

"I… kinda made that up," she admitted.

"What?" asked Bulbasaur, his eyes open wide.

"I only told you that because I really wanted to know what you did!" the water-type protested before he had any time to express his frustration. "And you weren't telling me anything, so lying was the only way I could get you to talk."

The grass-type let out a long, tired sigh. Even after the only hope he had of finding something remotely close to a clue about his past had vanished in front of his eyes, he still found himself unable to blame his unlikely companion. She had freed him, after all, and under false pretenses as well.

"I guess I deserve that," he said, frowning. "I'm sorry for lying, for the record. I just… I'm really frustrated, you know? About the whole-"

"Wait, I got it!" the Buizel exclaimed, unfazed by his attempt to open up. Again, she grabbed him by the sides of his cloak. "I know what we can do to help each other out!"

"And what's that?" Bulbasaur squirmed around, trying to get some of his personal space back.

"I know a psychic that can help you recover your memories," she explained, raising her index finger. She looked to the north, towards where the Watchog had left. "She's, uh, a bit of a weirdo, but she lives where I was planning to take you, so we won't even need to get away from the main path!"

Suddenly, the little seed of hope he thought gone was reinvigorated, and his lips curled into a faint smile.

"Really? Cause I came here looking for a psychic, and that's what got me caught. I was told one could help me recover my memories, but all it did was get me in trouble."

"Yeah, I don't think that will be a problem where we're going," the water-type said with a knowing smile. Lowering her voice, and leaning in towards Bulbasaur, she added. "But if you want to do this, we need to leave right now. The entire town will be looking for us in just a few minutes."

"Right," her partner replied. He followed her as she walked away from the cart and towards a more crowded area. "Um… before we go, though, I think we should introduce ourselves. We've done nothing but lie to each other since we met, so I think it's fair we start telling the truth."

"Fair enough. Name's Caspia Paldmoor," replied the orange mammal as she leaned against the corner of a building to scout the area. "What's yours? Or do you not even remember that?"

Although she probably did not mean it as mockery, the reminder that he could not actually recall even the tiniest part of his past still hurt quite a lot.

"I don't, actually," he replied with an ironic chuckle. "You can just keep calling me Bulbasaur until we find out my real name, I guess."

"Seems fair to me," Caspia said, raising her shoulders nonchalantly. "But let's leave the chit chat for later. Unless you want to get caught, we shouldn't stop moving until we've reached the entrance to the Twisted Woods… I don't know if the Order plans to send any agents to chase us down, but we can't underestimate them. Even if they're working with some of the most useless Pokémon I've met in my life."

"Alright, lead the way."

The two Pokémon left the less concurred area of the town and walked directly into what appeared to be one of the main streets. There were many Pokémon walking in the very same direction, so detection would be harder if anyone came to look for them. Furthermore, most Pokémon were way bigger than them, and Bulbasaur imagined it would not be hard to use their bodies to hide.

"The shopping district is probably already full of guards," Caspia guessed as they moved across the sea of bodies, walking in the same direction as them. "We'll leave through the northern entrance. I don't usually put up so many posters around that area, so you won't be recognized as easily."

Bulbasaur nodded. He wondered if putting on his hood would make him more recognizable or just more suspicious, but before he could ask his newfound companion for advice, a notably bloated Tangrowth unknowingly pushed him away from Caspia as he walked in between them. With a groan, the smaller grass-type circled the blue tangle of vines that formed their body to avoid being separated from his guide.

"What is it with this town anyway?" he asked, staring at the larger grass-type with annoyance. "Why are there so many Pokémon in here? I was told they're pilgrims, but where are they pilgrimaging to?"

"That's… a bit of a long story," replied Caspia with a shrug. "And you're probably going to remember it once you get your memory back, right? It's kind of a big deal around the whole region, and even in other countries."

"Well, yeah, I suppose," Bulbasaur conceded. After a brief pause, he spoke again. "But don't you think I need some context?. Last time I tried to get into a conversation without sounding super suspicious, I got myself caught."

Caspia rubbed the back of her neck and closed her eyes in an attempt to concentrate as the two made their way through the current of Pokémon that was flooding the street. Every step, more and more pilgrims appeared to pour from all sides, dressed in distinct and peculiar ways.

"Short version is, a very powerful Pokémon took over the Obsidian Bastion, which was like, the capital of Gladia," she blurted out. "And now he doesn't allow anyone inside, ever. Some Pokémon think they can get in and see their families again if they make a pilgrimage there, and that's why they come through this boring old town once a year."

The story did not make a whole lot of sense for Bulbasaur, but he made sure to slowly nod to let his partner know he understood. She did not appear to be paying any attention to him, focused as she was in trying to get them out of there safely.

"But who will do something like that?" the grass-type proceeded to ask.

"We call him the Usurper," Caspia replied in a more somber tone. "We don't really know what kind of Pokémon he is, though. We know he exists, because the members of the Obsidian Order don't shut up about him, but we don't even know what he looks like. He's dangerous, and so are his goons. That's all you need to know."

"I see…" Bulbasaur mused, pondering the meaning of the new information, and trying to contextualize his own experiences.

He did not wish to bother Caspia any more with his questions, seeing as she was not particularly comfortable about the topic, so instead he tried to consider why the Obsidian Order had been looking for him so incessantly.

He began to consider the option that he might have been some kind of rebel opposing the Order, or maybe had tried to get into the Obsidian Bastion in search of his family. Perhaps, even, he was a traitor, and they were looking for him because he had run off… the possibilities were endless, but after a mere minute of contemplating these possible storylines, he shook his head and attempted to ignore the aching in the back of his head that was telling him to wonder further.

I'll remember as soon as I get my memories back… he told himself, although at that point a part of him was unsure as to whether he wanted to know or not.

The two unlikely partners marched in silence for a few more minutes, trying to always have a bigger Pokémon in front of them.

Despite not having had any rest since being captured, and having barely eaten, Bulbasaur felt strangely energetic. He noticed that, as long as hid plant was exposed to direct sunlight, it would no longer ache, and his energy levels were kept mostly high. Even drinking some of the water they gave him while imprisoned had proven effective in soothing the bulb's pain.

"Alright, we're almost there," warned Caspia, tugging on his cloak to get him closer. "We're taking a detour, alright? Just in case they have agents guarding the main path."

"You don't need to do that, you know?" Bulbasaur complained, pushing her paws away from his cloak.

Ignoring his complain, he Buizel dragged him away from the crowd, much to Bulbasaur's relief. The two of them crossed the street and arrived to an area that opened up, leaving room for trees and vegetation to take over. There were still houses, but they were much smaller and far apart from each other, and they extended up until the large set of mountains that covered the horizon.

As soon as they were far enough away from the busier areas of the town, Caspia let go of his cloak, finally allowing him some space. He stepped back and dusted himself off with an annoyed huff.

"If we follow this path," she explained as she pointed forward, "we'll get to the Twisted Forest, and then we won't need to worry about anyone chasing us."

Bulbasaur looked to where Caspia was pointing. As soon as he laid eyes upon the forest at the end of the path, covering the outskirts of the nearest mountain, he felt a chill running through his spine. The place itself seemed odd, and more like a massive wall of darkened wood than a natural forest, but they were far enough away that he could not pinpoint what exactly was so worrying... and that was perhaps the strangest thing about it, more so than the feeling itself.

"Dude, you okay?" asked the Buizel, gently hitting his head with her knuckles. Being suddenly taken out of his strange trance startled Bulbasaur, causing him to jump in place, his body tensed up. "Woah, hey! What's the matter with you?"

"Uh, I'm fine, don't worry," he replied. Seeing as though Caspia was still looking at him with suspicion, he added. "It's just that, that forest over there is making me feel weird. I don't know why, but I can't stop looking at it."

"Yeah, mystery dungeons will do that to you," replied his partner, her lips curling into a side smile Bulbasaur did not know how to interpret. "Come on, I want to get there before noon so I can go eat something."

Yet another term he had no context for, thought Bulbasaur. At this point, he would have to start taking notes to understand the world around him. Once again, though, he stayed silent, and decided to leave Caspia alone. She already had so much on her plate, and he did not want to make this harder for her, especially since he was not contributing anything to their little alliance.

They followed the path for a good fifteen minutes, barely speaking to each other as the sun shone brightly on top of them. Bulbasaur was simply mesmerized at the beauty of that place, a strange mixture of wilderness and habituated areas, although it sometimes seemed like the placement of some houses seemed a bit off, almost like they had been scattered around at random, and some even were in ruins. Plus, there were not nearly as many Pokémon as before, and the ones who saw them walk by barely paid any attention to them. That, Bulbasaur found to be a nice change of pace.

"Why does this area look so… abandoned?" he asked.

"Oh, that," Caspia said plainly. "After the Usurper basically cut everyone off from the capital, things got a bit ugly. Lots of fighting," she opened her arms to motion towards the vast, empty areas of terrain around them. "Eventually, things calmed down, but this area never got repopulated after the war."

"I see…" again, too much contextless information. He decided to leave the matter alone for now.

He felt like he was only given small pieces to a puzzle he could never truly see in its entirety, forcing him to put together the little pieces he had using his own imagination to fill in the gaps. He could not really blame Caspia for giving him so little information, though. She was probably used to talking to Pokémon who understood the context in which they lived, so she would not be used to clarifying extremely basic things that everyone should know.

As he let his imagination run wild, imagining what kind of battles would have taken place in such a place, he noticed something quite strange: there was a red, lizard-like Pokémon he could not identify hiding behind the half-collapsed wall of one of the abandoned houses at the side of the road. What was more, the Pokémon, who had some kind of black fabric attached to its body, was suspiciously avoiding looking at them specifically, causing Bulbasaur's heart to start to race. He elbowed his partner on the side, gently.

"Hey, Caspia?" he uttered, using his head to point towards the suspicious Pokémon. "I think we're being watched."

Caspia's eyes narrowed, and she picked up the pace without so much as a warning. Fearing she would drag him by his hood if he failed to match her speed, Bulbasaur did his best to keep up.

"That guy's from the Obsidian Order," the Buizel explained. "You can't tell it's them because they all wear those black scarves."

"Isn't that a bit counterproductive?" asked Bulbasaur, turning his head to look at the Pokémon. He identified them as a Charmeleon. "I mean, if they want to chase after someone, it doesn't make a lot of sense to make themselves so obvious…"

"They want to be seen, dummy," corrected Caspia. "Most Pokémon are scared of them, and they use that to their advantage. I don't know why they're allowing us to see them right now, though…"

"Because we have no intention of harming you, Buizel," came a low voice from a nearby ruined building. "That is, if you do as we say."

A Magmortar, wearing the same kind of black scarf he had noticed on the other Pokémon, walked out of the dark stone house and positioned himself right in front of them, cutting them off without barely making an effort. Bulbasaur stopped walking, his stubby legs shaking in fear as he laid eyes on the Pokémon. The three fire-like appendages protruding from his head and shoulders, along with his two cannon-arms, made him look bigger that he actually was, but it was the coldness of his stare that made him want to run away.

Bulbasaur looked at Caspia in search of guidance, but she too was simply standing there, staring daggers at the newcomer. She stepped in front of him, defensively, to confront the agent of the Order.

"You're supposed to be under arrest," the Magmortar stated, plainly, one clawed finger pointed straight at him. He was wearing some kind of ringed metallic bracelet around his forearm, with different scopes and telescopic lenses coming out of each of the sections. "As for you, Buizel, I don't know what you were thinking, but we're gonna have to hand you over to the Rescue Department."

"Yeah, that's not happening, buddy," Caspia replied with barely contained rage. "I don't know you're you people were planning to do with this Bulbasaur, but he's under the protection of the Overseers now!"

The what, now? Bulbasaur thought. He stayed silent, though, hoping that Caspia could defuse the situation.

"Heh," the Magmortar chuckled. His laugh was deep and gravelly, and it was almost scarier than his regular voice. "Nice try, kid, but we know you're not with the Overseers. We're not stupid."

Caspia stepped back, gritting her teeth. As he tried to figure out how to get out of that mess, Bulbasaur noticed several other Pokémon had begun to approach them from other directions. He could see a Rhyhorn, a Conkeldurr, the Charmeleon from before, and a Bewear, all of them wearing the same style of black scarf, and looking ready to jump at them at any moment.

The Magmortar motioned his partners to stand back.

"Look, kid," he said, unbothered, as he leaned in towards Caspia. "If you just hand the Bulbasaur over, we'll tell the guards it was all a misunderstanding, yeah? The Department will let you keep your job, and you won't have to face any-"

"I don't give a crap!" spat the Buizel, chin up. Bulbasaur noticed her tail had started to glow blue, but none of the Pokémon seemed to be concerned with her. He nudged her in an attempt to get her to relax, but she completely ignored him. "I don't want to have anything to do with you or your people, and I don't want your charity! I'm getting this Bulbasaur out of here, whether you like it or not."

The Magmortar opened his mouth, but Caspia did not give him a chance to speak again. She jumped in the air, performed a mid-air flip, and hit the fire-type with her tail, brimming with energy. With lightning-fast reflexes, especially for his size, the Magmortar raised his right arm a fireball coming out of it the exact second Caspia's attack connected.

"Caspia!" Bulbasaur cried, but his sight quickly became obscured by a thick layer of steam that burst out of the Magmortar's hand as Caspia was thrown back through the air, landing by his side. "Are you okay? I can't see very well…"

She had landed on her feet, but she looked visibly shock by her opponent's quick reaction.

"I-I think…" she said as she recovered from the attack. "I just hit him with a water-type attack. That should give us some time to-"

"Come on, kid, don't be stupid" came the low voice of the Magmortar once again. He suddenly emerged from the cloud of steam, looking completely undamaged by the attack, and lurched himself forwards to face them once again. "Don't you think I wouldn't be prepared for that sort of stunt?"

Caspia stepped back, once again holding on to Bulbasaur's cloak. The grass-type gulped audibly as the Magmortar continued to walk towards them.

"Now, let's stop playing and get serious for a moment." The agent raised his cannon arm again, smoke emerging from its barrel. "Last chance, kid. Hand over the Bulbasaur, and you'll be back home in no time. And you're already testing my patience, so don't try anything else if you want to go back in one piece."

The Buizel flinched, and her grip on Bulbasaur's cloak loosened ever so slightly. Bulbasaur's mind was racing, trying to come up with an escape route. The steam was starting to dissipate, and he was now able to discern the shapes of the other members of the Obsidian Order, still forming a circle around them. If only the steam had faded away earlier, he could have looked for a proper escape route…

Wait, he thought. That's it! He gently headbutted Caspia to get her attention.

"Do it again," he whispered. She looked at him, wide-eyed. "I have a plan, I swear. Use you strongest water-type move, Caspia!"

"Whatever you're planning, it won't work," the Magmortar interjected. "Come on, don't waste any more of my time..."

Caspia turned her head to the Magmortar, before throwing a glance at Basil that said 'this better work'.

"Alright, big guy," she said, getting into position again. "I'm sorry, but we're going to have to try this one more time. I'm not giving up that easily…"

"Yeah, sure, go ahead," the the fire-type replied with a roll of the eyes. "Ruin your only chance to go back to your old life. You're just making my life easier this way."

"After you attack, hold on to me," continued Bulbasaur in a breathy voice, making sure the Magmortar could not hear him. "And whatever you do, don't let go."

As soon as he finished speaking, Caspia released her attack. This time, she blasted the Magmortar with a concentrated flow of pressurized water, and the larger Pokémon countered her move in the exact same way. He met Caspia's water-type attack with his own stream of fire, causing the two moves to cancel each other out in a burst of thick steam that eclipsed both their views. As this happened, Bulbasaur kept their only escape route in sight for as long as he could, trying to memorize the exact path he would have to take once he made his move.

As soon as he was sure the other Pokémon were completely covered in steam, he elbowed Caspia.

"Now, grab on to me!" he whispered. He felt the Buizel grab the back of his cape, and he wasted no time running towards the entrance of the nearby forest.

"That was your plan?" Caspia grunted as she was dragged away, having trouble to accommodate to her partner's sudden display of speed. "He's just going to chase after us, you know?"

"Not if he can't see us," Bulbasaur retorted. "The first time he attacked you, the steam took a few seconds to clear off, so I thought that maybe we could use that to our advantage. He just… he seemed a bit overconfident, you know?"

Both of them looked behind them to see a thick cloud of steam blocking their line of sight. A small smile appeared on Bulbasaur's face. The forest was now merely a couple hundred meters from them, and their enemies were too far away to get to them in time, considering their size and bulk.

"Oh. That was actually pretty clever," Caspia conceded as she turned her head again. She let go of his cloak, allowing him to pick up the pace without any extra weight. "I was a bit too focused on trying to kick his ass to think of anything like that. Good job, little guy."

"Thank you," Bulbasaur replied. "I was even a bit worried it wouldn't work!"

Before Caspia could say anything else, however, a fireball landed right beside them, causing them to jump in place.

"By the authority of the Usurper," the Magmortar shouted from behind them, "you are under arrest!"

"Ignore him!" Caspia ordered. She took the lead, getting into all fours and quickly managing to pass Bulbasaur by. "We're almost there! Once we get inside the forest, he won't be able to follow us!"

Bulbasaur nodded. Now that the woods were so near, he could see just how hermetically close that forest seemed. It was almost artificial, he thought, in how close the trunks stuck to each other, allowing for very little space for safe passage.

He heard another fireball land dangerously close to them. This time, he had to dodge to avoid being hit by the blast. He felt the heat produced by the hit, and his heart began to race once again as an instinctive, primal fear of the destructive element took over him.

"I'm serious! Return right now or face the consequences!"

"He's getting closer!" he exclaimed. "He's still trying to match our speed, but his hits are getting more accurate. Run in a zig zag to make his hits harder to hit!"

Caspia simply nodded, and did as he said. The technique proved quite effective, as the next fireball landed right in the middle of the two, but did not came anywhere near as close to hit them as the previous one.

"Almost there…" he said to himself. He saw Caspia run past him, her nimble legs and slender figure allowing her to reach much faster speeds. She looked directly at him for a few short moments, but that was enough for him to notice the look of unwavering determination in her eyes. She nodded at him before turning her head to look forward again.

Matching his partner's resolution, he lowered his head and forced his stubby legs to move as fast as they possibly could, trying to ignore the pain in his lungs as he demanded the impossible of his chubby, round body. He grunted, overexercising his underdeveloped muscles in an attempt to reach safety faster.

He heard another fireball, but he was so focused on running towards the forest that it barely even registered. He wondered how long it would take for the Magmortar to realize he was slowing down, and tried to force his body to run faster.

"Come on…" he whispered, gasping for air. For a second, he thought he was not going to make it. "We're so close…"

And then, the pain stopped.

The aching in his lungs ceased.

He frowned, no longer able to feel the grass under his feet, but saware that he was still running.

Am I floating? No, that can't be right... he thought. He looked down and saw his legs moving under his body, almost as if they were moving on their own in a last ditch attempt to get him to safety.

The world around him was a blur. Caspia became an orange spot surrounded by green, and the only thing in focus was the apparently mon-made hole in between the twisted trees, for the first time within his reach.

What's happening to me? He asked himself. The answer came in the form of a warm, pleasant feeling coming from the bulb in his back. Are you doing this?

He did not understand why his plant had chosen that moment to start giving him this strange power, but he was certainly going to take advantage of it. The next fireball, which landed far behind him, confirmed that he was indeed running faster than he ever believed possible.

Before he realized, he finally reached the entrance to the woods. It was only after he crossed the threshold that separated him from that mysteriously eerie place that the pain returned, and it was so sudden he had to fight back the urge to puke. It took him a few seconds to get his bearings as his heartbeat came back to normal and the muscles in his legs became accustomed to hold his weight again.

She saw Caspia run after him, gasping for air, before finally collapsing on the ground, over the darkened dirt that covered the floor of the forest. It was only then that he was able to take a proper look at her.

"C-caspia!" he yelped, his eyes widening in horror when he saw the big, brown spot of charred fur on her back. "A-are you okay?"

"Sure," she said in a strangely calm tone. He could not see her face from her position, but he could almost tell she was smiling, somehow. "It will heal in… just a few minutes…"

"We don't have a few minutes!" exclaimed the Bulbasaur, unaware as to how his partner could be so relaxed under the circumstances. "We need to keep moving before he comes after us!"

"I don't think he will…" the Buizel whispered. She coughed and rolled over with a pained expression, but she was smiling. "He won't be able to chase us anymore. We're in a mystery dungeon now, dummy."

Bulbasaur looked around him, analyzing his surroundings. The small clearing was almost entirely covered in darkness, as the twisted trees allowed for very little light to touch the grassy terrain underneath his feet. It was as if the trees had conspired to block out the sun, he thought. Even more strange was the fact that he could no longer see the opening between the trees the two Pokémon had just crossed, even if he was completely sure it was there a second ago.

"What is this place?" he muttered. The adrenaline was starting to dissipate, and a strange sense of dread overcame him in its place. He looked up at the trees, then back down at the foliage under his feet, and began to feel sick again, for a reason he could not quite pinpoint. "It feels… weird, I don't know. And it certainly doesn't look like a dungeon."

Caspia let out a chuckle, then immediately recoiled in pain.

"Of course it's not literally a dungeon," she explained, now laying on her side to prevent the burned area from touching the ground. "That's just the name they came up with to refer to this kind of place."

"And what would that be?" Bulbasaur asked, turning to look at his partner. He saw her squirming on the floor, clenching her fists. "Are you sure you don't need help?"

"Don't worry about that now," replied Caspia. She was taking her wounds way too lightly, thought Bulbasaur. "I'll explain everything if you let me lie here for a couple minutes. Oh, and get me my bag. I'm going to need a rawst berry for this…"

Bulbasaur nodded. It did not take long for him to locate the leather bag. He used his mouth to get a hold of the strap, and then proceeded to drag it towards his pained friend, making sure to leave it as near to her right paw as possible.

"Thanks," said Caspia as she reached into the bag. "You were very cool back there, by the way. You totally saved our butts."

"I couldn't have done it without your water attacks, so I guess we're even," he replied, hiding his proud smile from her. "Plus, you sacrificed your job for me, even though you don't know me at all!"

"I hated that job anyway, don't sweat it," the Buizel produced a small, light blue berry from the bag. "Plus, I'm about to get a far better deal just by helping you, so win-win, right?"

Bulbasaur nodded as he watched her take a bite of the fruit. There was so much he did not understand about her, about this word, but she definitely looked like someone worth sticking with. He would have to ask her later about what she meant by 'deal', but that seemed unimportant at the moment, considering her wounds.

"Oh, by the way," said the Buizel. "When that Magmortar got to us, I was thinking of a name for you. I don't know, it just feels weird to call you Bulbasaur all the time."

She was right, Bulbasaur thought. The strangeness of not having something to refer to himself even within his own thoughts had not escaped him, but he had not thought of giving himself a name when he was so close to recalling his original one. Still, he decided it would be more comfortable for the both of them to have something to call him in the meantime, so he nodded.

"What did you have in mind?"

"How about… Basil?"

Chapter 3

FistsTornAsunder

Pronouns
He/him

Chapter 3:
Dungeon Crawlers

"So, Basil," Caspia said as the two unlikely partners made their way through that accursed forest, "I'm sure you must have a lot of questions right now. Mystery dungeons are hard to wrap your head around as it is, but since you also have brain damage or something…"

The Bulbasaur was too busy thinking about his new name to correct Caspia about her unprofessional assessment of his mental well-being. He had spent so much time -for as long as he could remember, in fact- being referred to just by the name of his species, that he had not even realized how much a proper name meant to him as an individual. It made him feel like a normal Pokémon, not a suspicious outsider.

It made him feel like he could fit into that world, even for just a moment. Like he belonged, somehow, somewhere. It also made him less aware of the general strangeness of the place he was in.

As a consequence of the treetops blocking most of the sunlight, the inside of the forest was unnaturally dark, which gave it even more of an eerie vibe, and enshrouded them in darkness. He noticed, though, that groups of those trees appeared to be growing in very specific dispositions on both sides of the narrow road, as if they were purposefully positioned to allow them passage. Attempting to discern the tops of the trees from his position only made him dizzy, as they appeared to be much taller than they really were in a way that his mind could not wrap around.

The forest was divided by many short corridors that connected the clearings to each other, but they never allowed for safe passage outside of their very specific outlines. There was room between the trees for a Pokémon to pass, sure, but they were so close together that attempting to take any kind of shortcut would more than likely take them longer than attempting to cross the maze.

The strangest part, however, was the eerie and oppressive feeling that took over him the moment they began to cross the forest.

"What exactly is a mystery dungeon, then?" Basil asked as he examined his surroundings in search for a material origin to that uncomfortable feeling.

"It's a bit complicated," replied Caspia. Her back was completely healed at that point, but she still winced in pain every few steps. "The gist of it is that mystery dungeons are places where space and time don't really work like normal. Your wounds heal much faster, for example, but you also consume much more energy just by being inside one. It's a decent trade-off, if you ask me."

Basil replied with a slow nod of the head.

"There are wild Pokémon around these areas, too," continued the Buizel, not even bothering to look at him, "so if you see anything move, scream or something. Fortunately for us, there are very few grass-types in this place, so we shouldn't have a lot of trouble if we get into a fight…"

"I'd rather not fight anyone if I can help it, honestly," Basil said with concern. Considering his failed attempt at using a move earlier, he was terrified of coming face-to-face with any aggressive Pokémon.

"You'll have to, sooner or later," replied his friend as she shrugged. "There's something in this kind of areas that makes Pokémon very aggressive, and it's rare for them to run away in the middle of a fight."

"I think I can understand that…" he uttered. "We're stepping on their territory, after all…"

He imagined himself having to exert violence on another Pokémon, however, and grimaced at the idea. He did not enjoy fighting as it was, but being completely unable to defend himself without relying on Caspia was an idea he was not particularly fond of. Not that she was not a more than capable fighter, of course, but he disliked the feeling of being little more than dead weight to her.

"Do you have anything in there I can use to defend myself?" he asked, pointing with his head at the leather bag Caspia was carrying. "You know, since last time I tried to use an attack it didn't go so well."

"Nope, sorry," replied his partner. "But we may find something you can use as a weapon inside the dungeon, if we're lucky. When Pokémon get lost inside this kind of place, they always leave a bunch of stuff scattered around."

Basil tried to avoid imagining the sheer claustrophobia of losing himself in such a hostile environment, where not even his plant-based side seemed comfortable. While he usually felt himself more at home around forests, fields and the like, whatever curse had been placed upon the mystery dungeon made it so the presence of such extravagant plant life prevented him from feeling at ease. If anything, it made him even more nervous.

"But you know the way, right?" he asked, hoping that the Buizel had chosen that path not out of desperation, but because she knew how to navigate it. "I mean, it can't be that easy to get lost when the trees act like the walls of a corridor…"

"The way?" the Buizel asked, her lips curling into a sardonic smile. "Boy, sometimes I wish I was as clueless you. Mystery dungeons have no clear paths, dude. Every time you step foot in one, the place will be completely different from last time, even if they can end up looking very similar," she explained, pointing at the trees delimiting their path. "Like, it will have the same types of wild Pokémon, the same kind of plants… but the layout will be completely different."

"So, we don't know where we're going," Basil concluded, his brow sinking in concern. "Alright, cool. That's not concerning or anything."

"Relax, dude," Caspia said, lightly patting him in the shoulder. "I've done this a few times, so I know how this kind of place works. Trust me, if we stick together, we'll get to the exit in no time!"

Basil did not enjoy being touched that much, but decided against voicing his complains. She was helping him out, after all.

"If you say so…"

The two partners resumed their march through the forest, none of them particularly interesting in continuing their discussion. Basil had tons of questions, but he did not want to burden the water-type with them, opting instead for taking note of every inquiry that popped into his mind. It was not very likely that he would need the information once he recovered his memories, but he wanted to be cautious about it.

He took a moment to wonder about the bulb in his back, and how strange it was that he had no recollection of how it truly worked. He seemed to be able to identify other Pokémon just fine, but he was completely unaware as to how his own body functioned. If it was the other way around, at least he could use his body for combat.

It was then that the two Pokémon arrived at a small clearing on the forest, in which the space between the treetops was wide enough that it allowed for some sunlight to pass through. Feeling more near the presence of light, Basil instinctively picked up the pace to reach the illuminated area and examine his surroundings.

"Hey, watch your step, dude!" Caspia exclaimed, placing a paw on his right shoulder. "You almost stepped on a blast seed."

"Huh?"

Basil looked down to find a strange red seed on the floor, right in front of him. Caspia picked it up and placed it right in front of his face, allowing him to notice the red-and-yellow multi-layered hull that covered it.

"You need to pay more attention to your surroundings," said the Buizel once she was sure he was done inspecting it. "Usually, it doesn't matter if you step on random trash mons leave scattered around, but these tend to explode when you pop them!"

Basil gulped.

"Are you absolutely sure this is the safest way to get through the forest?" he asked in a slightly higher-pitched tone. "Because every step we take makes this place look more and more like a death trap!"

"Okay, my bad!" Caspia carefully put the seed inside her bag and raised her paws apologetically. "I guess I should've told you that you're supposed to keep an eye on the floor. It's just, you know, common sense stuff. I'm not used to travelling with someone who doesn't know what a mystery dungeon is."

Basil frowned. During the few hours he had been with Caspia, he had learned that he had a limit on how many times he could be reminded he was amnesiac, and he was getting dangerously near to it.

"Trust me, this is safe," Caspia said, taking the lead again. "Or at least, safer than trying to reach the mountains through an open field."

"We're going to the mountains?" Basil repeated. He shuddered, remembering his painful crossing through the misty crags to the west of Bitterroot.

"Yeah, that's where the Overseers have their headquarters," explained Caspia as she scoured the clearing for more items. She grabbed a few pointy sticks from the floor, looked at them closely, then threw them away. "They hate the Obsidian Order's guts as much as I do, so I'm sure they'll gladly help in exchange for some juicy details on why they're after you."

Basil did not like the wording she had used to describe his missing memories, but he let it slide. At that point, he was so desperate to learn even the tiniest detail about himself, that he was willing to do whatever it took to get at least some of his memories back.

"That sounds fair…" he muttered. He looked around the natural room, trying to emulate Caspia, but avoided actively moving to look for anything. He definitely did not want to mess up again and get one of his legs blown off.

He did not find any more of those blast seeds during his careful scan of the clearing, fortunately. What he did see, however, was a small creature in the shape of a large seed, with two yellow eyes that stared back at him, standing right in between the two trees that delimited the only way out of the clearing.

"Uh, Caspia?" he asked in a low voice. "Is this one of those wild Pokémon you were talking about earlier?"

The Buizel looked at the Pokémon, and her hair instantly stood on end. She walked up to Basil, her gaze fixed on the creature at all times, and nudged him in its direction.

"I can't fight that thing head on," she explained. "If it knows a grass-type move, I'm done for."

"We don't need to fight it, though…" Basil tried to reason. He looked at the wild Pokémon, trying to decipher its almost featureless face in an attempt to justify his hesitation. "Maybe if we just leave it alone-"

"I told you already, they're too aggressive! It won't leave us alone until we're knocked out, or it's knocked out!" exclaimed an exasperated Caspia.

"B-but I can't actually fight!" protested Basil. He saw the unblinking wild Pokémon approach a few steps, gaining confidence as it realized he was not willing to attack it. "Are you sure there's nothing else we can do?"

"You don't need to fight it, dummy. Just distract him so I can sneak up on it without getting hurt."

"And what about me? What if I get hurt? I don't know how to-"

Before he could finish his sentence, the Pokémon ran towards him and tackled him right in the head, knocking him back a few steps.

"Seriously?" asked Basil in annoyance as he recovered from the hit. The pain disappeared almost immediately, just as Caspia had explained to him earlier.

The small seed Pokémon began to circle him, completely unfazed and ready to attack again. Basil looked back and saw his partner, still waiting on all fours for him to make the first move.

"Alright, alright..." he said, more to himself than to Caspia. "I'll see what I can do..."

Let's see… what is this guy's deal? He asked himself as he analyzed his opponent's movements, his anatomy, looking for a weakness he could exploit. The creature just stared at him, perhaps waiting for him to move first so he could hit him back. It was then that he noticed it had not blinked a single time ever since he had found it, and an idea popped into his mind. Not a perfect idea, but something that would allow Caspia to finish it off without fear of retaliation.

He began to approach his enemy, faking an attack, but stopped in his tracks on the last second, using his momentum to kick up some of the leaf-covered dirt spread over the floor of the forest.

The wild Pokémon was not expecting that kind of attack, and it was hit right in its enormous left eye. Lacking any kind of limb that would allow it to clean off the dirt, it resorted to running around in circles to try to stop the aching in its eye.

"Right about now would be a good time to attack it, I believe," Basil said. He still did not enjoy the prospect of hurting a wild Pokémon that had every reason to defend its territory, but they had very little options at that point.

Caspia jumped from behind him, her fist already raised and emanating a trail of cold air. She performed a quick but painful punching attack on the Pokémon, who never saw her coming, and sent it flying through the clearing until it hit the impenetrable wall of trees on the other side. Defeated, the creature fell to the ground, completely immobile.

"See?" she said before blowing the cold haze surrounding her right hand. "Easy peasy. And it didn't even hurt that much, right?"

"Did you… kill it?" asked Basil, his brow furrowing.

"Of course not! Wild Pokémon are very tough. It's just unconscious," replied his partner in crime. She lightly patted him in the back. "But that was a pretty cool improvised attack, I have to say."

"Thanks, I guess," Basil said with a shrug. "It's not like it was some kind of genius move or something. I just threw dirt at it."

"Well, you would be amazed at how much a tiny bit of dirt can annoy a Pokémon," Caspia explained. She tilted her head towards the exit to the clearing. "Come on, let's go before that guy wakes up. We still have a long way to go."

Soon, Basil found out that there was no resting inside a mystery dungeon: the brief moments of respite they had enjoyed shortly after entering were, as it turned out, a rarity within the wooden walls of the twisted wooden maze. They avoided every wild Pokémon they encountered, with two sets of eyes now on the look for any possible threats, and he used his claws to mark certain trees, to make sure they did not pass through the same area twice without realizing.

The Bulbasaur had observed, however, that Caspia's behavior changed drastically whenever a grass-type Pokémon approached, prompting him to lead the way just in case they were noticed and forced to fight. There was no other option, the Buizel insisted: these Pokémon would rather fight an opponent way out of their league than retreat. They fiercely defended what they believed was their territory, even though the forest was so distorted and full of danger that Basil was not sure life could thrive inside of it.

The second thing he noticed was the fact that he was getting very, very hungry.

"Hey," he asked, quietly, as they waited for a pack of Nincada to pass them by. "Would you happen to have anything to eat inside that bag? Because I'm starving."

"Oh, yeah, that makes sense," Caspia replied in a raspy voice. "I may have some more berries we can eat. I was not planning on coming to a mystery dungeon today, so I didn't even bring anything that could fill our stomachs,"

"It's fine, berries will do," replied Basil.

"No, I mean, we need to keep our bellies full," remarked Caspia. She returned to a normal voice level once she was sure there were no more wild Pokémon around. "These places, they make you very hungry… I don't know why, but I always feel hungrier than normal when I come to a mystery dungeon."

"Huh." At this point, Basil was not even surprised to learn new, bizarre things about that ominous, nonsensical and terrifying place. After a while, his brain had begun to not even question the information he was given.

Caspia produced two pink, elongated berries from her bag, and handed one to him. She looked both sides to make sure there were no more Pokémon around, and then took the lead again. Basil had trouble following her, having to balance himself in just three legs if he wanted to be able to hold the berry.

"Dude, you really need to learn how to use your vines," Caspia said when she noticed how uncomfortable he was. She stopped, allowing him to sit down and enjoy his berry without any trouble. "This would be so much easier if you had an extra pair of hands."

"I guess that will come back to me when I get my memories back," he replied with a neutral expression before taking another bite of his berry. The promise of retrieving his memories had softened the immense stress he felt when he tried to remember something. "I mean, it's not like I'm going to need them, right? We've been walking for a while. The exit can't be too far away, right?"

"I don't know about that," Caspia said. She had gobbled up her berry, and was in the process of scouring the area. "It's hard to tell with this kind of mystery dungeons… they told me there are places that change the further you go, but this one is just the same no matter where you are. But we saw a Venonat earlier, and they usually prefer the darkest corners of the forest, so I'd say we're halfway there."

"Halfway?" Basil parroted, incredulously. "How big is this forest?"

"Nobody really knows anymore," replied the Buizel. "Mystery dungeons are not exactly easy to study, you know?"

Basil looked down at his half-eaten berry. The eerie feeling of being constantly watched had nothing but increased the furthest they ventured into that unnatural place, and he was not sure he could keep up with it much longer, especially considering everything going on around them. He wondered if the berries would keep them fed for long enough.

"Hey, dude, don't worry!" Caspia gently punched him in the elbow. "I've crossed this forest at least twice without any trouble! Come on, I'm gonna need you at your strongest if we're going to make it out of here."

The Bulbasaur simply nodded. He appreciated Caspia's enthusiasm, and her upbeat attitude made him feel safer, that was not the problem. No, the issue with this whole trip was the fact that he had felt like a complete pushover ever since he realized he could not actually use any moves.

She was right, though. He only needed to keep it up for a little.

"Alright, let's go," he proclaimed as he got up, allowing the last chunks of berry to linger inside his mouth for a tiny bit longer before finally swallowing them. "Let's get out of this place so I can get back my memories."

"That's the spirit!"

And so, the two partners continued in their path, a bit more invigorated after the berries they had eaten. Like Caspia had mentioned, the forest looked the same in its darkest depths than it did in the outskirts, making it very difficult for them to approximate how much they had to walk to get to the other side. The markings he had been carving on the trees, however, were a saving grace for them, and prevented them from spending more time than necessary in any given section of the map.

"We've tried this path already," Caspia said, checking the bottom of a nearby tree. "But this clearing has a few exits, so we can try going left this time…"

"It's weird how this place looks mon-built," Basil reflected out loud, following his partner's lead without hesitation. He looked up, squinting as a stray ray of light hit his left eye. "Like, I don't know what's the deal with this forest, but it looks way too convenient to be a natural occurrence. Maybe that's why I feal so uneasy…"

"Yeah, mystery dungeons are weird that way," Caspia replied without paying it any mind. She was clearly very used to the existence of a place like that. Maybe a bit too much for Basil's innocent mind. "There's still a lot we don't know about them, but even if they make you feel weird, they're not really that dangerous. Like, the worst thing that can happen is that you get knocked out, and then… you just appear outside, like nothing ever happened!"

"Wait, seriously?" inquired Basil, raising one of his eyebrows. "It's that easy?"

"I mean, it doesn't always happen, but it's what most mons expect when they faint inside a mystery dungeon," his partner replied with a shrug. "Worst case scenario, wild Pokémon steal all your stuff."

"Huh. That's interesting," Basil concluded. "It's almost like if there wasn't an angry Magmortar waiting for us on the other side, knocked out wouldn't be such a big deal, right Caspia?"

She did not answer. Basil's guide stopped moving immediately, and held onto his cloak with her right paw to force him to do the same. The Bulbasaur's eyes scanned their surroundings, looking for the cause of his partner's strange behavior, but there was nothing around them that seemed dangerous at all.

"Caspia?" he asked. "What's going on?"

"We're being followed," she replied, bluntly. "Pray to Arceus that I'm wrong, but I think it's a Shiftry."

"But I don't see any other-"

"In the trees," Caspia said. "I think it's right over our heads. I've been hearing it move for a while. Don't look up. If it thinks we know it's there, it will attack us!"

Basil stepped closer to Caspia, as if hoping that the closeness of her body would provide him with protection from the invisible foe. The feeling of being watched returned tenfold, intensified even more by the relative safety he had been feeling for the past few minutes.

"What do we do?" asked Caspia. He felt her body tensing up alongside his. "I don't think I can defeat this guy with an ice attack. Do we run?"

The Bulbasaur could very well reply with a sarcastic remark about how she was the one who supposedly knew things about the mystery dungeon, and how he was an amnesiac Pokémon with absolutely no knowledge of the world around him. But that would not help at all, not at that moment, and even though he did not know how to feel about Caspia putting so much trust in him, he understood that she did not feel comfortable when grass-type Pokémon were involved.

He decided to take the lead nevertheless.

"Okay, work with me here," he said. "What do Shiftry do, exactly?"

"They chase you down through the treetops," Caspia explained. "It's probably waiting for us to separate so it can attack the weakest one of us. Which, in this case, is me."

"Then we stay together," Basil explained as he pressed his body even more against Caspia's. "And we keep walking. Let's hope it doesn't get any funny ideas."

The two of them resumed their walk at a moderate speed, trying to avoid raising any suspicions from their unseen predator. It was then when Basil began to hear the sound that probably alerted Caspia of its existence in the first place: a rhythmic cracking of the leaves above their heads, mirroring the sound of their own steps as they continued to walk.

"I can hear it now," he said. "It's following us, there's no doubt."

It was as if he could see the creature stalking them from above, its every movement made evident by the sounds coming from the trees. He had to keep himself from turning his head, knowing what the consequences may be, and forced his neck to lock in place as to avoid any unwanted movements.

"I didn't know there were Shiftry in here…" Caspia muttered. "They usually don't reach that stage of evolution naturally…"

"I mean, this place is not exactly what you would call natural, either…"

Caspia did not bother to reply, worried as she was for her life. Basil was still not over how uncanny the entire place made him feel, but now that his mind was focused on one specific threat, it was easier to overlook the hostile and unwelcome environment.

That very same environment was the thing that prevented a quick solution to their problem: the trees blocking their escape on both sides of the road forced them to walk a straight and easy to follow path. Basil understood that the Shiftry knew this on some primeval level, and found himself horrified at the notion of any kind of creature finding the accursed forest so familiar as to develop hunting habits based on its otherworldly layout.

And then, he began to wonder what would happen once their enemy backed them down against a corner.

"We need to distract it," he concluded, feeling the sweat starting to accumulate on his forehead. "If it manages to trap us, we'll be thrown out of this place, right?"

"Yeah," said Caspia with a nod. "And there'll be Obsidian Order guys waiting for us at the entrance…"

So that was it. Basil needed to once more overwork that apparently gifted brain of his, empty as it was of actual information about his surroundings, or he would be back where he started: at the mercy of a shady organization hellbent on getting their hands on him for some unknowable reason.

That was just great.

"Are you sure you can't beat it in one shot with one of your ice-type attacks?" he asked, in desperate need of any kind of information that could help him formulate a strategy against the Pokémon.

"Yeah, dude," the Buizel replied without hesitation. "Grass-types are dangerous for me as it is, but this guy is a real piece of work. A couple hits from it, and I'm done."

"Then we need to find a place where we can fight it together," concluded Basil.

"Fight it? Are you crazy? Or were you not listening when I told you this thing can kick me out of here in two hits?"

"And what are we supposed to do? Just let it follow us until it has the upper hand and can get the jump on us? No, Caspia, we need to fight in on our own terms before it can even the playing field. I understand that you're scared of grass-types, but if we don't deal with this soon, we'll only make it worse!"

The Buizel opened her mouth to reply, but then closed it shut. She slowly nodded, understanding his point, and grabbed onto his cape for support. This time, Basil did not even try to push her away, however.

"I'm not scared," she whispered. "It just makes sense for me to stay away from grass-types, y'know? They're my natural enemies."

The layout of the dungeon, and their position in relation to their opponent, meant that they could not turn back if they wanted to make sure they were not attacked. If they wanted any chance of getting an advantage over the Shiftry, they needed to hope that the path they were following led to a clearing… and that there were no other wild Pokémon in the way.

"I think that's it," Basil said after a few minutes of tension, pointing towards the end of the linear path with his head. "Whatever is in that clearing, we're going to need to face the Shiftry there."

"Are you sure this is our only option?" asked an increasingly worried Caspia.

"Pretty sure, yes," replied the Bulbasaur, focusing on the road ahead and trying not to pay attention to the looming threat of the Shiftry. "As soon as we get in there, we're going to turn around and try to fight it, alright? I'm here with you, don't worry."

"But you don't know how to use any moves!" complained Caspia as they slowly but surely approached their final destination. "I wanna trust you, but I'm not seeing this, dude…"

"I won't need them," Basil reassured her. "Because you're the one who's going to attack it. I'm just going to protect you, alright? If anything, that'll give you enough time to try to knock it down."

The Buizel nodded, a look of concern still in her face as they walked into the clearing. Basil's eyes took a few seconds to get used to the increased luminosity of the area, but there was no time to dwell in such menial details. As soon as they reached the center of the clearing, he turned around.

"Now, Caspia!"

His partner turned around in spite of her fear, and sent a powerful water projectile flying towards the place where the Shiftry was hiding. The attack connected, and the wild Pokémon, not expecting its victims to suddenly attack, lost its balance and fell towards the grassy floor of the forest.

"I don't think that hurt it too much," Caspia explained, the hair on her back and head on end. "But it may be confused enough for me to charge an ice-type attack."

Basil knew that was his cue, so he ran towards the fallen enemy and tried to keep it down. The brown-skinned Pokémon let out a screech as it saw the Bulbasaur approach, each hair of his white mane ruffling with rage. Basil did not let that intimidate him, however, and he jumped towards him in hopes of distracting him for long enough.

The Pokémon was ready, this time, and it rolled on the ground to avoid his hit. The leaves on the ends of his hands glowing with green energy, it masterfully spun around Basil and hit him on the side.

"Ugh!" he complained. The pain was not too intense, however, so he continued his efforts of trying to distract the wild Pokémon. He stepped on the white mane that covered his face and back, turning to look at Caspia in hopes that her attack was ready.

With another pained, high-pitched screech, the Shiftry tackled Basil, the wood-like surface of its skin making the hit considerably nastier, and causing the Bulbasaur to roll around on the floor. He managed to land on his four feet, however, and ran towards his opponent once again, determined to keep him away from Caspia.

"I'm ready, dude!" yelled Caspia, a few meters away from them, her puffed chest a warning of the attack to come. "Get away from it!"

Basil nodded, then changed trajectory mid-run, hoping toa void residual damage from Caspia's frost breath attack.

Before she could release her attack, however, the Shiftry smacked its two leaf fans together, causing a small leaf tornado to erupt from the ground under it. Basil watched in horror as the twister flew towards Caspia at full velocity, giving her only a few seconds to release her frosty breath.

"Eep!" she cried as she was hit with the full force of the attack. The cold air coming from her mouth quickly dissipated, her focus completely gone, and all that was left of the attack was a thin layer of frost that did not even reach its intended objective.

Basil ran towards his friend, who had managed to stay on her feet despite the impact. Her body was covered in small cuts, vulnerable as it was to grass-type attacks.

"I'm sorry!" the Bulbasaur said. "I didn't think it would retaliate so quickly! D-don't you have a berry in your bag that can help you heal?" asked the Bulbasaur, placing himself in between his partner and their opponent.

"Yeah, let me see if I can get some-" Caspia began, reaching inside her bag. Before she could fetch any item that could either heal her or help them defeat their foe, the Shiftry continued its assault on them and jumped right over the Bulbasaur and straight towards Caspia, kicking her in the stomach.

"Caspia!" cried a concerned Basil as his partner went flying against the other side of the clearing. The bag she was holding fell to the ground in front of the wild Pokémon. "Get away from that, you!"

The Shiftry's ear twitched, but the grass-type did not otherwise acknowledge Basil at all, as it no longer considered him a threat. It seemed too concerned with the item it had managed to snatch from its victim.

"Caspia, are you alright?" Basil asked, running towards her now that his opponent was distracted. "It didn't hit you with a grass attack, right?"

"No, but it still hurts like crap," the Biuzel replied, holding on to her stomach as she tried to steady herself. "I don't think we can beat this guy, Basil. We need to get out of here before-"

With a shriek, the Shiftry finished inspecting the insides of the bag, and proceeded to use it as a weapon, throwing it towards its two victims.

It was at that precise instant that Basil remembered the existence of a highly delicate exploding seed inside the bag. He reached for it with one of his paws out of pure instinct, using his remaining three legs to try to get as close as possible despite knowing that it was essentially impossible for him to get that high. In the face of complete impossibility, his reaction was to try to push his own boundaries, make his body move faster, extend his limbs…

None of that happened, though. He saw Caspia bracing herself for the impact, knowing the hit would send them both back to the entrance of the dungeon.

He could run, he thought. Caspia would probably be okay once she got rid of him, and he could continue his journey without troubling her any more. For a fraction of a second, he found himself enjoying this possibility, knowing his presence would not burden anyone any longer.

Before he could leave the Buizel to her fate, however his body made a decision for him: right before the bag hit Caspia, a light green vine flew through the air and snatched it right through its straps.

The bag swung forward, then backward, as a few items flew outside of it and landed on the soft grass nearby. Basil simply stood there, wide-eyed, staring at the vine the bulb in his back had just produced.

"Holy crap!" exclaimed a bright-eyed Caspia. "Dude, you did it! You used your vines!"

After recovering from the initial shock, however, Basil remembered the Shiftry was still a threat. The grass-type slowly approaching him now, perhaps seeing him as the bigger threat now that he had demonstrated his abilities.

Basil looked at Caspia for an instant, as if through that second of eye contact, she would be able to give him proper permission for the thing he was about to do.

With his newly-found ability, he swung the bag at full force towards the enemy Pokémon before it could retaliate. It connected, causing the blast seed inside to detonate, breaking the darkness of the forest for a few instants before going out, and sending both travelers flying through the air until their bodies hit the almost impassable wall of trees.

Basil grunted as he felt the rough surface of the tree against his side, protected only by a thin layer of cloth that surprisingly withstood the hit. The pained screech of the Shiftry then filled the air, and Basil opened one to see the enemy Pokémon running away towards the depths of the forest, its back on fire. Its haunting screams could be heard even after he disappeared from view.

"Dude…" was all Caspia was apparently able to say as they both looked, mesmerized, at the small fire the explosion had caused.

"I'm sorry," Basil said, frowning. "About the bag, I mean. I wanted to ask if it was okay, but there was-"

"Who cares about the stupid bag?" Caspia got up, wincing in pain, and laid her body against one of the nearby trees. "You just saved our butts."

They stared at the fire for a few more seconds in absolute silence, pondering over the fate they had barely escaped from.

Basil took those moments to explore his body's reaction to the sight of fire. The plant on his back feared it, and it made sure to communicate that in the form of a powerful tingling sensation that screamed 'danger' through every fiber of his being. He stretched one of his front legs towards the fire, and the sensation became more intense, warning him not to get any closer if he wanted to survive.

He had not had time to experience that feeling during their escape from the Magmortar, when the adrenaline took over his entire self, but at that moment he could understood more precisely what Caspia must feel when facing an enemy grass-type.

"We should keep going," Caspia said. She had gotten up at some point, but Basil's sudden infatuation with the very element that could so easily destroy him had prevented him from noticing. "Other wild Pokémon may hear all this uproar and come looking for us."

Basil nodded, his head almost empty of coherent thought.

Caspia grabbed some of the berries that had fallen from her now destroyed bag and began to munch on one of them. She handed one to Basil, who used his newly discovered vines to grab it without having to impair his own movement. It felt so natural, and yet so much of an improvement over using his actual limbs, that he wondered how he had managed to get so far without it.

"Come on," Caspia said once both Pokémon made sure they were not leaving anything of importance behind. "Let's get to the end of this dungeon before something else happens."

"Are you okay?" asked Basil, taking a closer look at the deep cuts on Caspia's arms and belly. "If you need to rest for a while, I can keep watch."

"Nah, don't worry," replied the Buizel as she dusted herself. "I'll heal as we go. That'll be better than just standing around until another Pokémon finds us."

Once again, she was right. Even the in tense pain that had almost frozen him in place mere minutes ago subsided completely by the time they resumed their journey, thanks to the dungeon's healing ability. He looked at the Buizel at his side, who was still trying to act like her wounds were not bothering her, and let out a sigh of relief.

Was it strange to feel so safe around someone so rash? Perhaps. But at that moment, Basil did not care.

Chapter 4

FistsTornAsunder

Pronouns
He/him
Chapter 4:
Tempest

Fresh air. Sunlight. The ability to see the horizon.

After spending the past few hours in such an oppressive, haunting environment, it took Basil a mere few seconds to realize how much he had missed the enjoyment of the simplest of things. He let out a long sigh as he rejoiced in the ability to walk around and feel the ground under his feet without having to worry about some unseen force watching his every move.

"Feels good, huh?" asked a smiling Caspia. After having spent a few minutes inside the dungeon to recover from her wounds, she appeared as if she had not been hurt in the first place. "The first time I went inside a mystery dungeon, I spent like ten minutes just staring at the sky. You just never appreciate the simple things until you lose them!"

"Totally," Basil replied. He exhaled the fresh air of the mountainside, then began to explore his surroundings. His body felt surprisingly heavy, despite barely spending a couple of hours inside the dungeon, and having all of his wounds magically healed by its energy.

While the rocky surfaces around them reminded him of his time travelling the misty crags of the west, the presence of plant-life made the view, and Basil assumed, their path, much more comfortable. He climbed a nearby rock and looked towards where he believed Bitterroot to be. Its surface was smooth, but his claws made it easy for him to latch on to it and quickly get to the top.

"Do you think they can catch up to us?" he asked, squinting.

As it turned out, the Twisted Woods were much larger than he had originally imagined, a consequence perhaps of the strange spacetime anomaly that plagued the area, and it took a while before he could figure out their position in regards to the town they had recently left behind.

"The dungeon has a ton of exits," explained Caspia. "Even if someone did follow us inside, they may have ended up on a completely different part of the mountain. That's another cool thing about the mystery dungeons: they're great for escaping!"

"Makes sense," Basil turned around to look at the outskirts of the massive elevation that stood before them. "What about us? Are we in the right part of the mountain?"

"I think so," his partner placed her paws on her hips as she took a good look around. "I've only been at the Overseers' headquarters a couple of times, but I have a pretty good idea of where it's supposed to be. Come on, let's go before the Obsidian Order figures out where we're going…"

Basil carefully climbed down from his rock and began to follow her once again.

"Who are these Overseers, if you don't mind me asking?" he inquired once the two began their slow ascent through the grass-covered outskirts of the mountain. "You've mentioned them a couple times."

"Oh, they're, like…" Caspia's smile faded. She awkwardly scratched the back of her neck. "They're a union of guilds that help Pokémon in need, basically."

"I see. And I guess they don't ask for any kind of reward? Because I'm broke."

"In your case? I don't think they will," explained Caspia. "You would have to be a very stingy psychic-type to charge someone for something as easy as unlock a bunch of memories!"

Basil let out a relieved sigh. That was probably a question he should have asked way earlier, but money had not been on his mind after all that had happened. Come to think of it, this was the first time, since he met Caspia, that he had been able to think about anything other than his immediate survival.

"What are you going to do after you're done with all this?" he asked his partner, who he noticed looking a bit more somber than usual.

"Me?" she asked, as if there was someone else the Bulbasaur could be referring to. "Heh. Well, it's a bit silly, but I was hoping I could join the Overseers."

"Really?" Basil inquired. "Just like that?"

"Yep. I gave up my job to save your butt, so I'm kind of in a hurry to find another one. And I obviously can't go back to Bitterroot, you know?"

Just then, the Bulbasaur's heart was hit with a sting of guilt over the sacrifices the Buizel had made to get help for him, despite the circumstances.

"Since we're talking about this…" he began, staring down at his front feet. "For what it's worth, I'm sorry I got you involved in this mess. It's my fault you lost your job, and the Obsidian Order is looking for you now, so…"

"You got me involved in this? Don't give yourself too much credit!" said the Buizel. A light chuckle followed, and she placed a paw over her partner's shoulder. "Dude, I helped you cause I wanted to. The Obsidian Order has been bothering everyone for a while, and I… I just want to help, you know?"

There was an undertone of sadness in her voice, something that made her attempts at being reassuring have the opposite reaction on Basil.

"Yeah, and look where that got you," he replied, squirming in place and slipping away from Caspia's paw. "I don't understand why you're so happy with losing your job and not being able to go back to your town!"

Caspia took a few seconds to reply. She cleared her voice, her eyes on the road, and let out a quiet sigh.

"I'm not happy," she said, her efforts at being jovial all but abandoned at that point. "I grew up at Bitterroot, yeah, and it kinda stinks that I won't be able to come back there for now. But the Obsidian Order… they hurt me, and they hurt Pokémon I consider friends."

Basil nodded in empathy, but said nothing. He would not know what to say, anyways.

"So I want to know how to hurt them back," she continued. "And I thought that, by freeing you, I might find a way to do that. Your memories… I don't know what you did, but they may be able to tell the Overseers how to get rid of them once and for all."

There it was. The reason he had been looking for, the one that explained Caspia's behavior up until then. He knew she had an ulterior motive, but hearing her admit it still felt like getting kicked in the stomach, as he faced the fact that the only Pokémon to truly help him had done it because of the utility he provided.

Still, he found himself unable to blame her.

"I understand," he replied after a moment of contemplation. "I really do. Let's hope my memories can do some good, at least."

She gave him a sad smile, but did not get the chance to reply before they were promptly interrupted.

"Caspia?" came a voice from behind the duo. "Caspia, is that you?"

The two turned around, and saw a light-purple Sylveon gracefully climbing down the side of the mountain, as if the notable inclination of the massive wall of rough stone was not affecting him in the slightest.

Each jump was perfectly executed, landing him on stable terrain every time, and making the Marowak following after him feel as if he was stumbling down the mountain in comparison. Almost defying gravity, the fairy-type found his way to the main path and approached the duo.

"Darian?" asked the Buizel with concern. "What are you doing here? I thought you and Raokan were done for the day."

"Who are these Pokémon?" asked a confused Basil. "Should I be scared?"

"What? No, these are the good guys!" replied Caspia. "They're members of the Overseers."

The approaching Sylveon was wearing a purple scarf that covered his neck and the lower part of his face, concealing his mouth.

"We felt the need to come fetch you after hearing the news," the Sylveon explained, pulling down the scarf to better communicate with them. His voice was melodious and sweet, almost like a lullaby. "You two caused quite a ruckus back at the Bitterroot Rescue Department."

"I can explain!" Caspia exclaimed as she held her paws in the air in front of her. "I know this looks bad, but I swear to Arceus I had a reason to do what I did."

Once his partner touched ground beside him, grunting as he supported his weight on the massive club-shaped bone he was carrying, the Sylveon named Darian approached the pair.

"I'm sure you do, dear," he said, tilting his head to the side with a tired smile on his face. "However, this Bulbasaur is still a criminal, and we need to make sure he won't be hurting anyone else. You understand, right?"

"Anyone else?" Basil then interjected, his brow falling. "Look, I'm sorry, but this is all just a huge mistake. I'm amnesiac, alright? And all we know about me is that the Obsidian Order is apparently looking for me."

"I'm sorry," Darian replied. "Our messengers are quick, but not exactly precise."

The Marowak then leaned in towards him, supporting the weight of his body on his bone club, its tip planted on the ground in front of him and firmly held with two fingerless hands.

"What does the Obsidian Order have to do with you?" he asked in a commanding, low-pitched voice. He had some kind of accent Basil had no context for.

The Charizard skull that hid his face was covered in purple decorations: a four-tipped star adorned its elongated forehead, while three triangles resembling fangs covered the mouth area, and two ring-like markings emphasized the base of the skull's short horns.

"We don't really know," Caspia explained, placing herself in between the newcomers and Basil. "I helped him out cause they were trying to catch him. And maybe he has some information that can help us bring down the Obsidian Order."

It was Darian's turn to inquiry about him. The Sylveon, while delicate and educated, seemed to hold at least some distrust for Basil, so he kept his distance without his smile disappearing.

"You mentioned you're an amnesiac, too?" he asked, although it was more like an affirmation.

"Yeah," Basil replied, the hostility that had been building up in his voice now gone.

There was something about the general politeness and delicacy with which Darian approached him, compared to how everyone else had been treating him up until now, that made him trust him, at least on a surface level.

"Caspia said she was taking me to see a psychic," he explained. "And, like she said, I really mean no trouble. I just want to find someone who can help me."

"I know someone who can certainly do that, dear" Darian replied, his smile widening. "If what you say is true, then she will be happy to help you out. I'm afraid Raokan here is a bit more concerned about you than I am, however. He has his reasons."

"It would not be the first time a criminal has tried to infiltrate our base," explained Raokan. "I'm all for helping out Pokémon the Obsidian Order has hurt, but you have to understand hat this is a bit risky."

"I'm not trying to infiltrate anything," Basil reassured him. "Look, I'm even willing to let you guys restrain me if that makes you feel safer, but all I want is to get help, all right? And as soon as my memories are back, you'll all see how this is just a big misunderstanding."

Darian and Raokan looked at each other, silently deliberating. Then, the Marowak turned his head at Basil with a raised hand.

"No need for that," he declared. "I trust Darian, and I trust the kid, so I do not mind lending you a hand. We just need you to be mindful of your actions. If we keep this friendly, nobody has to get hurt."

"That's what I'm saying," Caspia said with a nervous smile. "So, we good?"

After a few proper introductions, the group began their path towards the Overseers' headquarters, with Darian leading the way. Raokan walked behind the duo, his club over his shoulder, and kept watch over them.

He was informed by Darian and Caspia that they were going to seek help from a Pokémon named Elleanor, a psychic-type who could cure his amnesia instantly, if indeed his illness was related to the mind.

It did not take long for the four travelers to reach a small river that descended down the mountain, and Darian began to follow it, upstream, through the nearby path. This path seemed much smoother and flatter than the one Basil and Caspia had used upon first arriving at the mountain, implying frequent usage.

They followed the path for a few minutes, as Darian and Caspia derailed their conversation and began to talk about things Basil was not familiar with. Eventually, he completely tuned out of the conversation and began to lag behind them, his focus shifting to the scenery around him.

The mountainside was covered in plentiful patches of grass, with the occasional tree standing tall in between them

"Is everything alright?" Raokan asked from right behind him after taking notice of his behavior. Despite his intimidating looks, the blue-skinned Marowak's tone was calm, and did not seem to be threatening him.

"Uh, yeah," replied the Bulbasaur with an awkward smile. "It's just, I haven't had a lot of time to take a look at the places around me. I've been too busy running. And this… this place looks very beautiful and quiet."

"Understandable," the fire-type stated, his head lowering slowly. He picked up the pace to walk next to Basil. "If I understand correctly, this is your first time seeing Groudon's Backbone?"

"Huh?"

"This mountain range. That is its name," Raokan clarified, before knocking the top of his skull with his free hand. "Sorry, I don't know how much you know about the world right now. This must all be very disorienting for you."

"It is," answered Basil, his fear of the Marowak all but gone at that point. "Don't worry about it, though. Caspia has been explaining some stuff to me, so I know a few things about the Obsidian Order, the Overseers, and all that."

"I see. When I first arrived to Gladia, I was also very confused about all these new terms and organizations… this place doesn't have what you would consider a straightforward history. I suppose it must be a similar feeling, only much more disorienting."

That considered Basil's suspicion that the Marowak was from somewhere else, far from the country he now knew was named Gladia, but he did not believe commenting on it would be in good taste. Nor did he have the chance, as it turned out, because Darian called out to them soon after.

"We're here, everyone," he declared.

Before them stood a colossal hole, carved out directly on the surface of the mountain, and guarded by two tough-looking Pokémon, both wearing purple articles of clothing that, Basil assumed, indicated their membership to the Overseers.

"Back already, Darian?" asked one of the guards, a corpulent Granbull with a silver earring in his right ear.

"The mission was easier than expected, in the end," the Sylveon replied, nodding towards Basil and Caspia. "The outlaw… well, he wasn't really an outlaw. We brought him here to get help from Elleanor."

"Very well," said the fairy-type. His smile widened when he took a look a t the duo. "And I see young Caspia is also coming with you! Figures this little troublemaker would be involved in this…"

"You know it, Walter," replied the Buizel, extending her two index fingers at him.

"Do you know every one of these guys, or what?" asked Basil in a low voice.

"I actually don't know who that other dude is," Caspia replied, pointing at the Hitmontop that guarded the door alongside Walter. The fighting-type was not paying attention to their conversation at all. "But yeah, everyone here kinda knows who I am. Which is why I know they're all trustworthy folk!"

She elbowed Basil, who simply nodded, a bit intimidated by the gigantic hole Darian was now leading them towards. The Sylveon stepped through the opening in the mountain, and motioned the duo to follow him. Raokan, as always, stayed at the rear.

Despite Basil's concerns, it only took a few meters of almost complete darkness for the group to reach a domed, circular room that dwarfed any building Basil had seen in Bitterroot. His mouth hung agape upon laying eyes on such an enormous space, illuminated through a few orifices near the top, as well as a massive cluster of shiny stones that crowned the stone chamber.

"Yeah, that was my reaction too the first time I came here," Caspia said, jokingly. "That was a while ago, now that I think about it…"

The walls of the domed room were covered in wooden boards, from which a myriad of pieces of paper hung. There were a few Pokémon gathering around these boards, some of them involved in conversation, some others reading -or even taking- one of the many messages that had been hastily nailed to the wooden panels.

"This is where our teams gather to get their missions assigned," explained Darian upon noticing the intrigued expression on Basil's face. "Or, well, at least some of them do. Our team, Team Tempest, receives orders straight from the top."

"Teams?" Basil repeated, confused.

"Yes," Raokan replied. "Our leader divides our members in specific teams, each with their own name and purpose. It is easier to manage such a large group of Pokémon if you have them classified, don't you think?"

Basil nodded in quiet understanding as the group followed the Sylveon towards the western exit, one of four that saw Pokémon come and go.

The hallway they entered was considerably less well-lit that the room they had just abandoned, something Basil attributed to the fact that it was far too deep inside the mountain to allow any light to come through, even if windows were built. Instead, more shiny stones had been placed along the walls of the corridor, illuminating the small metallic plaques that decorated the many doors.

Basil noticed that most of them either had nothing written on them, or had been scratched to the point that any legible text there might have been inscribed there was completely unrecognizable.

"Let's hope she's in her office…" Darian mumbled, barely loud enough for the others to head. "I want to get this matter settled as soon as possible."

"Is she ever not?" replied Raokan, somewhat sardonically. "I swear, since she got assigned her position, I've never seen her leave this room. During the day, at least…"

Darian left his partner's comment unaddressed, and continued to lead the group through the corridor. It was only after reaching a set of stairs at the very end of the hallway that Raokan spoke again.

"You guys go ahead," he said once they arrived at the upper floor. "Someone has to go warn Marv of their arrival… and, given the circumstances, I think it's better if you go with the kids, Darian. The Bulbasaur has given us no problem up until now, after all."

"You're right," replied the Sylveon. "I'll see you at dinner, once we're all finished up!"

The Marowak waved the others goodbye before continuing the climb towards the next floor. The remaining three Pokémon were facing another long hallway full of wooden doors, almost identical to the one they had just left behind. The only main difference between the two was the bluish coloration of the shiny stones, giving the area a colder, less welcoming vibe.

"We're almost here," Darian declared, almost in a whisper. "The residents of this floor need silence to do their jobs, so please keep your voice down, darlings."

"I told you she was kind of a weirdo," Caspia said with a scoff, but still lowered her voice.

Darian eyed Caspia, but decided to ignore her comment. Once they reached the halfway point of the hallway, the group stopped in front of a door whose metal plate red 'Elleanor Gildan'. The Sylveon cleared his voice, then lightly knocked on the door. A few seconds passed before the door opened by itself, allowing the three in.

The small room was warm, or at least warmer than the rest of the building, and the walls were covered in bookshelves that barely looked enough to hold the sheer number of books, papers, and strange-looking items that had been hoarded in the room, causing the already small space to seem borderline untraversable, and leaving very little space for Pokémon to walk.

In the far end of the room, a Meowstic sat behind a desk that looked way too big for her, sporting a pair of half-moon glasses and a purple scarf very similar to the one Darian was wearing. A cup of unidentifiable berry tea hovered near her head while her gaze fixated on a piece of paper she had over the wooden desk.

"Darian, you know I appreciate your visits," she said as she placed the teacup on her desk. She did not bother looking up from the piece of paper. "But I do not appreciate being disturbed out of the blue."

"I know, dear, and I'm sorry," the Sylveon replied with a modest bow of the head. "But this is kind of an emergency."

It was then that the Meowstic looked away from the words she had been so carefully examining, and adjusted her glasses to look at the Sylveon. Her ears twitched a bit when she notice he was not alone, but she kept her gaze on him.

"Well then," she said with a defeated sigh. Her voice was relaxed and high-pitched, making her sound older than she probably was in reality. "In that case, what can I do for you?"

"Tell him, Basil," Darian said, nudging the Bulbasaur forward.

The grass-type approached the massive wooden desk, but the Meowstic did not seem to notice. He looked behind him, as if asking the others permission to talk, but the only answer he received was a gesture Caspia made to urge him to speak.

"Um… my name is Basil," he began. "I woke up a few days ago with no memories of anything at all, and they told me you could help me unlock them. Could you… do that?"

Elleanor then turned her head to look straight at Basil for the first time since they had entered the room. The crimson pupils of her yellow eyes completely transfixed the Bulbasaur, and the few seconds she spent inspecting his face felt like ages to him. It was as if she had casted some kind of spell on him, and it was not until she finally looked back at Darian that he found himself able to move again.

"Yes, of course," she declared, getting up from her chair. "It should not take very long. Come with me, Bulbasaur."

After another furtive look at Caspia, who this time only shrugged, Basil did as he was told. Hesitantly, he followed the psychic-type towards the most empty-looking area of the room. A telekinetically controlled rug appeared from behind him and gently fell on the ground right in between him and the Meowstic, who sat down on it after making sure there were no imperfections on its surface.

"Sit," she said, upon noticing how busy he was inspecting the rug. "If you want this to be over soon, you need to pay attention, yes?"

"Yeah, sorry," Basil replied, flustered, as he carefully sat down on the rug, right in front of her. Once he was comfortable enough with his position, he looked straight at her once again, into those beautifully mesmerizing yellow eyes. "Uh… what do I do now?"

"Now, you relax," she explained. She was sitting with her short legs crossed, paws placed on her knees. "The process may cause you some discomfort, as is usual for your kind, but I promise you I will not purposefully hurt you, yes? Once I am finished, you may feel somewhat confused or disoriented, but that is a normal occurrence. Do you understand?"

"Y-yeah," replied the Bulbasaur. She was speaking way too fast for any of the information she was letting out to truly register, but the way that she commanded attention, just by staring at him, was too alluring for him to do anything else but comply.

"Look into my eyes now, and do not break eye contact," Elleanor said next. "It will not take more than a few seconds, and I will talk to you through the entire process."

As uncomfortable and strangely mesmerizing as it was, Basil did as he was told. During the first few seconds, nothing really happened, and he almost broke the silence between them to ask if he was supposed to be noticing anything. The answer came even before he could inquire, however, in the form of a dizziness that took over his mind and nearly made him fall to the ground, completely thrown off balance.

"I am now looking through your memories," the Meowstic explained, nonchalantly. "Considering how little of them there appear to be, I should have no trouble arriving to the root of the problem. Then, it will only be a matter of…"

She trailed off, but Basil knew better than to distract her now. The dizziness was starting to affect his eyesight, as the entire room was seemingly elongating itself infinitely, although nothing ever seemed to move from its original place. He had no way of knowing, as he found unable to look away from Elleanor's yellow eyes.

He saw all of his recent memories flash in front of his eyes in a matter of seconds, until arriving to the moment where he first woke up… and then, with one final whiplash of psychic energy, he was bounced back to the moment where he sat down in front of Elleanor, returning to the now and then with such force that he finally succumbed to the dizziness and fell sideways, his head hitting the soft surface of the carpet.

"Interesting…" muttered the Meowstic as she covered her mouth with one of her furry little paws.

Basil did not feel like he had gotten his memories back. If anything, the whole ordeal had made him feel even more confused than he originally was, finding himself unable to focus on the here and now.

"It appears your initial diagnose was incorrect," said Elleanor, her tone changing into a somewhat more intrigued one. "Your memories… they have not been blocked. You are not amnesiac."

"T-then what is it?" inquired Basil, rolling on his back to get up again. His head was still spinning, but he could now focus on something other than his own thoughts. "What's happening to me? Why can't I remember anything?"

Elleanor looked at him again, and this time he could see her expression change. She was good at hiding her emotions, but her right ear did twitch when she spoke again, revealing a kind of annoyance over her findings.

"I am afraid it is quite worse than what you originally believed" she replied. "Your memories have been forcefully removed from your mind, Bulbasaur. I was unable to find anything past what you are already aware of, meaning someone or something has tampered with your memories, leaving you with only very basic concepts of the world around you."

Basil's stomach sank upon hearing those words. He looked at Caspia, then at Darian, as if they could somehow explain what was wrong with him after an expert on the field had failed to properly recover his memories. He felt the dizziness slowly fade away, giving way to a deep feeling of despair.

"That sounds… not great," was all Caspia could say, rubbing the back of her neck.

"B-but that leaves me right where I started!" he protested. "Isn't there anything you can do to get at least some of my memories back?"

Elleanor appeared to ponder the question for a few seconds. She looked at Darian, then returned her gaze to Basil, who caught a glimpse of compassion deep within her intimidating yellow eyes.

"This information is not widely known," she spoke, "but I believe you have the right to know what has happened to you. Even though I failed to detect any memories before your awakening at the Misty Crags, I was able to feel the presence of someone else inside your mind."

"What do you mean?" Basil inquired.

"All psychic-types leave their mark after tampering with a mind," the Meowstic. "I have seen his particular mark before, on some of his other victims. His name is Adrahann Meddeus, and he…" she paused, turning her head to look at Caspia and Darian. "Well, there is no easy way to say this, but he works for the Obsidian Order."

Of course. Of freaking course those guys were behind his memory loss after all. Basil clenched his teeth, remembering his initial confrontation with the Magmortar named Balthasar. If he had known they were related to his memory loss from the beginning, he may have reacted way more violently than he had. He eyed Caspia, who had not said a word since the whole process had started.

"That is… problematic, to say the least," Darian said, scratching his chin. "For context, we've never actually seen Meddeus. All we know about him is what Eleanor and our other psychics have been able to extract from his victims' minds, which is not a lot."

"Yes, he has proven to be notably difficult to locate" corroborated the psychic-type. "I am afraid I cannot offer you any more help, Bulbasaur, at least until we have a lead on his whereabouts. I apologize for my inability to recover your memories, if that is worth anything."

Basil pursed his lips and threw his head down in defeat. He did not wish to break down in front of a bunch of strangers, but feeling all the hope he had been building up ever since he met Caspia fade away, just like that, and the feeling of deep despair that suddenly overcame him was incredibly disarming. The light at the end of the tunnel of his journey had suddenly disappeared into the dark.

He threw a furtive glance at Caspia, who looked as speechless as him. Even though she had something to gain from helping him, he guessed it may have been frustrating for her too to learn that their dangerous little adventure had amounted to nothing.

"Is there even anything I can do to get them back?" he asked, then, turning his head to look at. He would rather rip off the band-aid right away than clinging to any impossibility.

Elleanor glanced at him, then at Darian.

"Well," she replied, cautiously. "While I do not wish to get your hopes up, the fact that he, specifically, decided to tamper with your memories instead of outright removing them or getting you assassinated is… telling. You still have a personality, somehow, and you have basic, although incomplete, knowing of some basic motions about the world."

"Yeah, she's right," Caspia interjected. Basil had not failed to notice her somber silence ever since the procedure began, but now her expression was one of unflinching determination. She placed a paw on his shoulder. "Think about it: if they didn't want you to know something, they would've just gotten rid of you, right?"

"I guess…" Basil mumbled. Logically, it made sense, sure, but after his most recent disappointment, he was not sure he wanted to start building up hope so fast. "Do they usually murder other mons?"

"Not all of them," noted Darian. "But Meddeus in particular is not above using murder to get what he wants. If we take all of this into account…"

"Your memories may still be stored somewhere, dude!" Caspia finished his sentence, vigorously gripping his shoulder. After her brief outburst, however, she let go of him and turned her head towards Elleanor. "Uh… that's a thing, right? Like, you can take memories from someone and just… put them somewhere else?"

"It is a controversial practice," Elleanor answered, "but Maddeus is not precisely known for his ethical methods. Taking everything into consideration, and given this specific set of circumstances… yes, it is fair to say that your memories having been stolen, not deleted, is a very real possibility."

Basil's brow furrowed. He was not sure he wanted to allow that seed of hope to grow once again, only to be burned down by the fires of reality if they ever found out the truth.

"Yes!" Caspia shook her fists in excitement, unaware of the troubled thoughts going through her friend's head. "See? We can still help you, Basil! If you stay with the Overseers, we can-"

"We?" came a question from beyond the doorframe. It was a deep, foghorn-like voice that made the duo jump in place in surprise. "What do you mean, Caspia? As far as I'm aware, you aren't a member of the Overseers."

Basil turned to look at the Pokémon entering the room at that moment. The corpulent Swampert, his back covered by a thick, dark purple coat, made his way to the center of the room, where everyone else was standing, eyeing Basil with his only functioning eye – the right one.

His left eye, the pupil barely discernable behind a screen of orange mist, was delimited by a noticeable scar, running from the bottom of its corresponding coronal fin, whose lower part was also visibly damaged, to the edge of his upper lip, curled down into a grimace.

The Swampert stopped right in front of Caspia and Basil and silently looked down at them, as if he was waiting for some kind of explanation. Caspia cleared her throat, and adopted a straight position.

"Well, first of all," she said, "great to see you too, dad. It's been a minute."

Basil's eyes opened wide, his mind finally connecting the remaining pieces of the puzzle.

"That it has," the Swampert replied, thoughtfully, with a slow nod.

"And secondly, well, I think this is as good time as any to tell you I have every intention of joining the Overseers in this, uh, fine day. I even brought you this amnesiac Bulbasaur, who apparently is valuable to the Obsidian Order, as a sign of commitment!"

The sudden reminder that he was being used to accomplish a goal hurt the Bulbasaur even more than before. He looked at Caspia with disappointment, but the Buizel was too busy arguing with her father to pay him any mind.

Something in the way she talked and gesticulated, in stark contrast with her usual demeanor, made Basil believe she had been preparing this little diatribe for a long time. Could have been his imagination, though.

"I take it Caspia's dad is kind of a big deal around here?" asked Basil in little more than a whisper.

"He is, dear," Darian replied in a similar tone, leaning in towards him. "Marvolos Paldmoor is the leader of Team Tempest, and the one in charge of the Central Ring branch of the Overseers."

The Swampert huffed, silencing the two.

"I'm very aware of what this Bulbasaur represents for the Order," he declared. He leaned over towards Caspia, using his cane to support the rest of his body. "I've been listening to this conversation ever since you first entered. Raokan did well to inform me of your arrival."

"That's cool. Not creepy at all," Caspia concluded between clenching teeth. Totally out of script now, she began to fiddle with one of the tips of her tail. "So, about joining the Overseers…"

"Absolutely not," her father bluntly declared. "We've had this discussion many times, child, and while I am pleased to see that you have brought us a valuable asset in our war against the Obsidian Order, my thoughts on the matter haven't changed."

"And what am I supposed to do, then?" asked the Buizel, her demeanor shifting from passive-aggressive to outright defiant. "Are you going to send me to another town to work as a delivery girl?"

Her father thew a glance at the other Pokémon standing in the room, all in complete silence.

"I feel like this conversation should be held in private," he said, more to Caspia than to the others. His gaze fell upon his daughter once again, paying the rest no mind. "But, to answer your question, you'll resume your activities at the Bitterroot Rescue Department, where you'll be safe. We will handle this situation from here on out."

"Here's the bad news, though," she said. "I… may or may have not broken this Bulbasaur out of jail. Which means that, well… the entire Rescue Department should be looking for me right about now. Oh, and they're working with the Obsidian Order, so…"

Her father looked at her in silence for a few seconds, pondering this new information. He spoke without turning to face him.

"Is this true, Darian? Forgive me for asking, but I haven't been able to check our messages today."

"I'm afraid it is, Marv," replied the Sylveon. "Caspia became wanted by the Department the moment she broke Basil out. And, as far as we know, the Obsidian Order was involved with this. You've heard what Elleanor said, yes?"

The Swampert huffed again.

"What am I going to do with you, Caspia?" he asked in a tired tone. "I secured you that job because I thought you would be a responsible worker. And you decide to put yourself and another Pokémon in danger? I am… disappointed."

"Aren't you skipping the part where I got you this Bulbasaur, who can help us learn more about the Obsidian Order?" asked Caspia, visibly annoyed. "Plus, you know I hated that job!"

"As much as I believe this is an important discussion to have," Elleanor suddenly entered the conversation, placing herself in between father and daughter, "I would rather not have it take place on my study. The flow of psychic energies is very delicate in this room, and all of this… sudden energy is sure to release some negative influx. If you could, perhaps, finish this familiar dispute someplace else, I would appreciate it."

Both Caspia and her father stared at her in silence, as if they had suddenly realized that there were others in the room besides themselves.

"Apologies, Elleanor," the Swampert then said, making a subtle bow of the head. "My daughter and I will finish this discussion in a more appropriate place."

He turned his back to the rest of the Pokémon in the room before carrying his corpulent, scarred self towards the door to the office, with Darian following soon behind. Caspia and Basil exchanged glances before doing the same.

"Oh, and… Basil, is it?" Elleanor added right after the Bulbasaur crossed the doorway. "I would like us to remain in contact. There is quite a lot I still do not understand about your condition."

"Uh… yeah, sure," replied Basil, a bit confused. "Darian said something about letting me live here until my memories are back, so I guess I'll see you around."

"Wonderful," the Meowstic concluded. "I expect to see you in two days. Until them, please take note of any anomalous effects your condition may have."

Before Basil could offer his perspective, a psychic blast closed the door right in front of him. He sighed.

"Now, shall we talk?" asked Caspia's father. He tilted his head towards the end of the corridor, and turned around without checking if anyone was following him.

Basil began to walk after him, trying not to look at Caspia in the eye. There were too many conflicting emotions inside of him at that point, and he had no intention of trying to express them. Not to her, at least, and not right then.

Chapter 5

FistsTornAsunder

Pronouns
He/him
Chapter 5:
One Step at a Time

Chief Commander Paldmoor's office was nothing like Elleanor's. There was very little inside the room to suggest that anyone even used it, in fact, and Basil wondered how any Pokémon could find that kind of place comfortable to work in. No books, no shelves, and only one big solid table right in the middle, covered by an oversized leather map and made of the exact same dark blue stone that covered the walls, floor, and ceiling.

There was an inherent hostility and brutalism in the way the office was constructed, as if it had been specifically made with a Pokémon like the Commander in mind: it seemed less like a work office and more like a war room.

"Now that we can resume our conversation without interruption," the Swampert spoke, placing both his hands around the edges of the stone table, "I would like to reiterate how disappointed I am in you, Caspia. If what you said to me is true, then you may have cost us our main contacts at Bitterroot. May I remind you of how many strings I had to move to get you that job?"

"I never asked for that stupid job," Caspia replied dryly. In spite of the circumstances, Basil could not help but feel sympathy over the way her father treated her. "Darian never told you that what I really want to do is to work for the Overseers?"

Her father stared at Sylveon, who replied only with a weak smile.

"He surely did," Marvolos said, quietly. "A few times, actually."

"Then you have to know how much I didn't want that dumb, boring job," concluded the Buizel with a shrug. "I don't know what your obsession is with keeping me from going on adventures, but-"

"Adventures?" repeated the Swampert, his able eye narrowing. "Do you think what we do here is fun, Caspia? Is that it? Do you think that the Overseers are just a bunch of merry-go-lucky adventurers that help Pokémon in need out of the kindness of our hearts?"

For that, the Buizel had no answer. Basil looked at her with a frown, hoping she would find some way to blurt out a clever reply, like she usually did. Instead, her lips moved up and down, but her throat produced no sound.

"Of course not," her father answered the question before Caspia could give her own reply. He let out a long, tired sigh.

"We risk our lives every day of the year to try to rebuild a broken world while an organization we still know nothing about does everything it can to jeopardize our efforts," he continued. "The Obsidian Order put Pokémon in danger, take whatever they want without asking questions, and answer to no one except for the Usurper. So no, Caspia, we don't go on adventures, and what we do is not certainly something someone as young and inexpert as you can just walk into."

"But Caspia's not inexpert," Basil spoke, then.

He did not know what made him say that. He was still conflicted about Caspia's previous actions, but… he had not come that far with her only to not help her get that job. He could not just sit there and let an injustice happen, no matter how he felt about her methods.

He bit his lip when he realized he was the center of attention, with all heads turned to look at him.

"Look," he began, racking is thoughts for a way to express everything he was feeling. "Caspia, I don't know how I feel about this, but you're good at helping others. Even if you may have had selfish reasons, you managed to get me out of that cell."

"It wasn't just-" the Buizel began, but Basil held a paw in the air, in front of her.

"That's not to say I'm not disappointed," he continued. "But you were really good at keeping me safe. I'll give you that."

He turned his head to look at the Swampert.

"I have no reason to lie to you," he assured him. "I know almost nothing about the world I'm in, and I'll gain nothing if Caspia gets to become a member. But… since she managed to get me here, then I think she would be of great help to you, too."

The Commander raised an eyebrow, but did not spoke. Basil scratched his chin with one of his vines, which he had not even noticed to have extended in the first place.

"She may be scared of grass-type Pokémon," he continued, turning to look at the Commander, "but I guess that's her being prudent. Plus, she can still dispatch them in one shot! We escaped from the Obsidian Order and survived a mystery dungeon without almost any provisions… which, again, I'm not sure how impressive it is, because I can't even recall what a mystery dungeon even is, but I'm not sure you're aware of just how much Caspia has worked to help me, and to get us here."

"Dude…" Caspia said in an almost unnoticeable whisper Basil was sure only he heard. He was not sure if she was flattered or trying to get him to stop, but he was too deep into his own monologue to change course.

If the Swampert had any thoughts about the matter, he kept them to himself. He raised his head, looking at nothing in particular, and began to tap on the edge of the stone table with two of his fingers, urging Basil to get to the point.

"What I'm getting at is," the Bulbasaur concluded, "I may not know what any of this means, or what's happening in this world, or who exactly the Overseers are… but I know Caspia is pretty good at what she does. And she risked her job and her life just to get me there. What else do you need?"

After his little speech, silence overcame the room, only emphasizing Marvolos' lack of reactions. Basil swallowed hard, fully aware that everyone around him could hear it, and wiped a cold sweat he had not realized had been building up on his forehead.

Despite his job description, Caspia's father's presence was notably intimidating, and saying anything he could disagree was three times more energy-draining than talking normally. And the fact that he was simply standing there, in complete silence, looking at him with an unamused expression, only made him scarier.

"Is this true, Darian?" he asked.

"I have no way of confirming some of those things," the Sylveon replied, "but Balthasar was seen chasing after someone at the abandoned district of Bitterroot, and we did find these two right outside of the Twisted Woods. Everything suggests that's what happened."

Marvolos huffed, the tapping of his fingers abruptly stopping. He looked up, as if gazing at someone only he could see, and let out a slow, pensive sigh.

"Alright, Bulbasaur" he said, slowly, carefully choosing every word that came out of his mouth. "If what you are saying is true, then I may have underestimated Caspia's capabilities." He turned to Caspia. "I will give you a chance to join the Overseers, if you truly want this so much."

Caspia's eyes opened wide. She looked straight at Basil, then at her father. Despite it all, her ear-to-ear smile warmed the Bulbasaur's heart.

"One chance," the Swampert specified, raising his index finger. "Tomorrow, a member of Team Tempest will be assigned to you, and you'll go on an unofficial training mission. After that… we'll see what we do about you."

"Thanks, dad," Caspia said with barely contained excitement, her body moving up and down seemingly on its own. "Arceus, thank you so much! I promise I won't let you down!"

"And as for you, Bulbasaur," Marvolos spoke again, ignoring his daughters' histrionics. "I will hold you to your word, so I hope you to not disappoint me either."

"Um… what do you mean?" Basil asked, his courage all but gone upon being personally addressed by the Swampert.

"What, did you think I would let you stay in here for free?" he asked, his lips curling into an enigmatic smile. "I want to keep you as close as possible, but this place is no hotel. If you want to eat our food and sleep in our beds… then you will be joining us, too. And that means going on missions."

Basil's eyes widened. He stared at the Swampert's face for a few seconds, wondering if this was his way of being funny.

"I'm sorry," he said upon getting no confirmation. "But I don't think I'm in any condition to do that. I don't even know how to fight properly."

"All the more reason for you to stay with us," Marvolos insisted. "What were you planning on doing, if not at least get a job here? The Order is probably still looking for you, and you have no knowledge of anything besides a few core ideas. Your best bet is to stay here and let us keep you safe."

Basil averted his gaze, trying to find a good excuse to avoid that particular fate, only to realize the Swampert was right. He had banked so much on Elleanor being able to restore his memories that he had barely ever given a thought to what he would do in the case that the plan did not work.

He looked at Caspia, her paws curled around the tips of her tail in quiet excitement.

"I think dad's right," she said with a shrug. "Look, I get that you're mad at me, but for what is worth, I think it would be cool if you stuck around."

"And as a matter of fact," Marvolos interjected. "You should accompany Caspia on her first mission. I want to take note of her supposed effectiveness at protecting other Pokémon."

Basil did not want to entertain the idea of having to put up with Caspia's overbearing personality at the moment, but he had to admit that the Buizel was, if anything, good at keeping him safe. And knowing the Obsidian Order were after him, perhaps staying with them for the time being was the best idea… until he could find a better alternative, at least.

"Alright, I'll do it," he replied, finally. "It's not like I have a ton of options, anyway…"

"Excellent," the Swampert said, quietly clapping his hands together.

"On the condition that I have the option to opt out of this once I get my memories back," the Bulbasaur added. "I don't want to compromise on something I'm not even sure my past self would have agreed on. Does that make sense?"

The Swampert raised his one usable eyebrow, but quietly nodded.

"I understand your point," he stated. "And I agree. The moment you recover your memories, you are free to leave the Overseers and go seek your own destiny, if you so wish so… as long as your memories do not interfere with the Overseers' mission, that is. Do we have a deal?"

Basil did not like how ominous that last part sounded, but he was in no position to bargain. If he found out he was some kind of dangerous outlaw, he could just run away. There were a lot of parameters he could not even begin to explore with the limited worldview he had at the moment, but figuring how to navigate that place was something the Overseers would probably help him with.

"Yes," he replied, finally. "I think it's fair."

"Good," the Swampert replied with a satisfied smile, an almost uncanny gesture in his otherwise rough, stone-dead face. "As for the agent who will be overseeing your training… Darian, here, is the most efficient member of our team. If he has no inconvenience, I am sure he will be delighted to be your guide these first few days."

"You flatter me, sir," the Sylveon replied with a subtle bow, placing one of his ribbons over his heart. "It will be an honor to supervise your daughter's training, and to help Basil fit in while his memories aren't found."

"Perfect. Now, if everything is finally settled, you may give Basil a short tour while Caspia and I sort some things out. We will iron out the details of your assignment later."

After another short bow, Darian turned right around, motioning Basil to follow him with a nod of the head. Basil eyed Caspia, who was too busy paying attention to the words her father was saying to look back at him, and grimaced as he left the office, feeling a knot in his throat.

He had little to no time to process all the things he needed to say, however, because Darian soon cleared his throat. He seemed very eager to do this tour, for some reason, so Basil decided to just play along.

"In this area, as I'm sure you've noticed, we have the offices of many o our most important members," he explained. He began walking, with Basil following soon. "All of the Pokémon who have some kind of important charge have a room for themselves in here."

"I see," said the Bulbasaur. "So, this is just like, the administrative area? Nobody actually lives here?"

"Correct," Darian replied. "This side is where most of the paperwork takes place, only it's not very lively at this time of day. The building is symmetrical, and we repurposed some of the rooms in the east wing of the building to host the majority of our team members. I'll take you there after we're finished with the tour."

"What do you mean 'repurposed'? Wasn't this building made by the Overseers?"

Darian let out a hearty chuckle, briefly lowering the purple scarf around his neck to lightly cough.

"Arceus, no!" he said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. There was no condescendence in his voice, however: he seemed to genuinely find Basil's naiveté endearing. "No, this place used to be a military base when the Sun Queen was in charge, before the Usurpation. It's… a bit of a long story."

"Caspia did mention something about the Usurper, and how he took over the royal palace or something," Basil reminisced. The specifics were blurry in his mind, after all the things he had to do that day, so he was not able to recall anything else.

"If only it was that simple…" the Sylveon said, a wisp of a grimace appearing in his face. "The Usurper didn't just 'take over' the Obsidian Bastion, Basil. He somehow removed everyone from the inside of the keep, in a matter of seconds."

Basil slowed down, trying to put together the pieces in his mind.

"Wait, how?" he asked. "I mean, how does one do that?"

"Nobody knows," Darian replied with a shrug. "The bastion was perfectly fine one second, and then it wasn't. It was obvious something had changed from the way it looked, but it took everyone a while to understand that the Queen, along with everyone else, had completely vanished, and only the Usurper and his followers were left inside."

A solemn silence took over, and Basil knew he was supposed to be the one to break it. However, upon finding himself unable to grasp the enormity of the tragedy that had been the Usurpation, he chose to remain silent.

"But let's not focus on the past right now!" the Sylveon quickly concluded, his cheerful smile returning. "What's important right now is the present, right? So let's go, Basil, let me show you what we do here at the Eternal Enclave!"

The Bulbasaur then let out the breath he had not realize he had been holding.

The base, as Basil had come to realize, was organized entirely around the central hub area where most Pokémon were assigned their missions. Darian showed him a rough map of the enclave, which depicted a circular room in the middle with several rooms, or combinations of rooms, adjacent to it.

The two parallel sets of rooms, of which Darian showed him only one, were the biggest areas outside of the domed central space. Then, there was an elongated room that extended to the north, nearby spiral stairway that led to the lower floors. Otherwise, the base was certainly smaller than Basil had originally imagined.

"Down there," Darian explained once they reached the staircase that led to the lower floor, "is where the dojo is. It may be a bit crowded down there, but we can still take a peek! You'll have to go there eventually if you want to learn how to fight, but it's better if I go with you the first time. Some Pokémon take their training very seriously."

While the Sylveon began his descent towards the dojo, however, Basil hesitated a bit. The fairy-type noticed and turned around, a concerned look on his face.

"Is there a problem, Basil?" he asked, bowing his head to look at him in the eye. "Did I say something wrong?"

"Oh, no, not at all!" the Bulbasaur blurted out, flustered. "Don't worry about it, Darian. All of this is really interesting, and I really don't mind joining you guys. I just… I have a lot in my plate right now, and fighting is the last thing I want to think about right now."

"I understand," Darian replied, sitting down in front of him. "You've been through a lot in just one day, and all of this… well, Marv doesn't want to admit it, but it's kind of precipitated."

Basil agreed with him with a defeated hum. While he was happy that he had found a place to stay, there were many things that felt wrong about the situation, mainly how he had essentially been blackmailed to stay if he wished to remain under the Overseers' protection.

He did not mind exploring mystery dungeons, especially not with two Pokémon that clearly knew more about fighting than himself, but he did not like how Marvolos had manipulated him into being useful to him. And he had been the second person to do that in a single day, too.

"I'll tell you what we can do," the Sylveon said. "We'll skip the less important areas, and go straight to a place where you can relax and get something to eat. How does that sound?"

"Pretty good, actually," replied Basil, a smile of relief tinging the edges of his mouth almost without him noticing, upon being asked what he actually wanted to do for the first time since arriving at the Enclave.

Darian then led him through the domed room, and towards an arched entrance, bigger than the ones Basil had seen through the building, located on the far end of the room, directly opposite to where the entrance was.

Basil's jaw dropped upon finding himself in an even bigger room than the one before it. The walls elongated themselves towards the north, allowing for countless wooden mess tables to occupy most of the available space, with only a fourth of the room's total capacity being wasted.

The small amount of Pokémon seated at the tables in small groups, mostly enjoying their food and engaging in friendly conversation, only made the size of the room even more evident.

"This," Darian explained, raising one of his ribbons towards the immensity of the chamber, "is the mess hall. It's directly connected to the living quarters of the Overseers, so everyone can easily access it when they need food!"

"This place is massive…" he muttered, too busy eyeing the ceiling and walls around him to look at Darian directly.

"Of course it is. It has to fit every single Pokémon working for the Overseers every morning and every night!"

The Sylveon led him in between the tables and towards the far end of the room, where a wooden stand had been placed. A Machamp in a white apron noticed their approach, and quickly turned around to attend them.

"Hey there, Darian," he said, resting two of his elbows on the counter. Behind him, several other Pokémon were busy moving crates and cleaning dishes. "What can I get ya? We're cleanin' up after the lunch shift, so we're a bit limited on what we can offer."

"Oh, just whatever berries you have laying around," replied Darian. "They're for my friend over here. He's a bit tired after a long, long morning."

The fighting-type Pokémon threw a cursory glance at Basil and nodded, then turned around and disappeared behind a set of double swinging doors. He emerged again shortly after, carrying a bowl full of oran berries.

"Here ya go," he said, carefully placing the bowl near the edge of the counter. "These may not be a hundred percent fresh, but they'll get ya through the rest of the day with no problem, pal!"

While Basil's first instinct was to stretch his arm and grab it, he quickly realized he was a bit too short to get there without making a fool of himself. Instead, he produced a vine from under his elongated bulb, and dexterously wrapped the end of it around the small wooden bowl, allowing him to lift it up.

"Thank you!" he said.

"No problem, kid," the Machamp responded, accompanying his words with an energetic thumbs up. "Have a good meal, you two. I would stay and chat, but I'm a bit too busy cleanin' up the place."

"No worries, Geldon," replied Darian in his usual polite, almost musical tone. "Have a nice day!"

"So… is food free here?" asked Basil as he held up the bowl, trying not to tip it over while they looked for a place to sit.

"For the most part, yes," the Sylveon said. "We have an entirely self-sufficient berry garden just past the kitchen, and most rescue teams are perfectly fine donating their own food to the base when they don't need it. Usually, the meals are a bit more elaborated, but we arrived at an hour when they're not really cooking anything…"

The Bulbasaur and his guide sat down near the western wall of the room, far away from where most of the Pokémon had congregated, allowing Basil to carefully inspect the big, purple banners that hung from the walls. At the center of every one of them, a logo could be seen: a simplified white flame surrounded by an equally white circle.

"You may want to start chewing on those berries, Basil" Darian suggested, taking the Bulbasaur out of his silent marveling. He nudged the bowl closer to him. "They're very good at replenishing a Pokémon's strength!"

"Uh, sure…" Basil replied before finally chewing down on one of the round, blue berries. He almost did not notice that he was using his vines to eat, instead of his frontal legs, which he was using instead to comfortably sit on the wooden bench.

The fruit was soft and easy to chew on, and its peculiar flavor, while definitely a bit strange, did make Basil's mouth water a bit. They were not sweet by any stretch of the imagination, but somehow that only made them more appetizing for him.

"Oh, these are really good!" he exclaimed as he finished the first one, quickly wrapping his vine around a second berry. "My tongue tingles a bit, but the flavor is definitely something else."

Darian's lips curled into an amused smile.

"Of course they are," he said in a sweet tone. "Because you've barely had any time to eat since you got here, they probably taste like a wonder gummi to you. Like I said, Marvolos is going a bit too quickly with you than I think is prudent, dear…"

Basil was too busy stuffing his mouth with oran berries to agree with his statement, so he nodded energetically in response.

"A Pokémon in your state… no offense, but there are more suitable jobs for you to do than going out on adventures and helping other Pokémon."

"None taken," said Basil, cheerfully, after finishing up his third or fourth berry. He had lost count.

There was something different about Darian that made him stand out from all of the other Overseers Basil had seen until now. All of them, even the nicer ones like Raokan, seemed to be following some kind of protocol at all times, barely breaking character. Darian, however, wore his feelings on his sleeve, and was not afraid to show concern for others.

"Since we're talking about it, though…" Basil spoke, the words almost leaving his mouth on their own despite his general distrust of other Pokémon. "You've known Caspia for a while, right?"

"Ever since she was a cub, yes," the Sylveon replied, the smile returning to his face. "Why do you ask?"

Bringing up the topic made him feel a bit stupid, so Basil looked away as he tapped on the wooden bench with his short claws.

"I just… I was wondering if you could tell me why she hates the Obsidian Order so much?" he asked. "She was very vague about why she wanted to use me to get to them."

Darian's smile faded. He stepped closer, keeping his head down, and used one of the organic ribbons that protruded from his neck to accommodate his scarf.

"Well," he began. "This is certainly not my story to tell, dear… but I understand why you feel hurt, so I'll tell you a bit of what I know. The rest is up to her and how much she wants to share, since this is not precisely a secret. Deal?"

Basil nodded, too busy gobbling down berries to reply.

"Her mother…" Darian began, letting his words trail off as he found a fitting way of finishing the sentence. "She was one of the first victims of the Order. I never knew her, but from the way she and her father talk about her, I assume they were very close."

The Bulbasaur pursed his lips, slowly processing the newfound knowledge as he chewed on yet another oran berry. It explained a lot, certainly. Before he could voice his thoughts on the matter, however, the Sylveon spoke again.

"Please, don't hold it against her," he said. "Even though it may seem like it, she didn't mean to use you. She can be a bit unconsidered at times, but she's a good kid. And this is her big chance to finally get to do what she wants, so…"

"Yeah, I get that," Basil cut him off. "But I couldn't help but feel a little annoyed when she talked about me like that, you know?"

"I understand," said the Sylveon, placing a furry paw on Basil's shoulder. It felt soft and caring, like a physical representation of the aura of polite tenderness that seemed to surround the fairy-type. "I really do. I just don't want you to judge her too harshly, alright? She's been through a lot already, and she desperately needs a friend."

Basil sighed. There was no way he could stay angry at Caspia, he thought. Not when such an honest Pokémon was all but begging him to forgive her in spite of her flaws, and not when he had no real idea of what she had actually been through."

"I won't," he said, finally, before wrapping his vine around the last berry on the now almost empty bowl. "I'll talk to her before our mission tomorrow. I promise."

"I'm glad to hear that," the Sylveon said. "You're a good kid, Basil. I promise you, Caspia will do everything in her power to help you get your memories back."

After returning the bowl, Darian led Basil back to the main hall, and then towards the east wing, which was slightly more crowded than the other areas of the base. The Bulbasaur was feeling much better after eating the berries, so he had no trouble following Darian through the hallways of the building.

A Heracross hurried past them as they arrived at the first floor of the east wing, forcing them to step aside. Basil cast an annoyed glance at the bug-type, which did not even bother to apologize for his rude behavior.

"And these are the living quarters," explained Darian, unfazed by the encounter. "For now, you'll be occupying a more modest room, but after you're done with your training, we'll provide you with something a bit more comfortable, I promise."

The hallway they found themselves in was a mirror of the one they had previously crossed on the other side of the base, only this one was a bit more well-lit, with more shiny stones placed on the ceiling and in between each of the doors.

They had to walk very little, however, before Darian found a door that had been left slightly open. He gently nudged it, and invited Basil inside.

"I'll go fetch Caspia now," he said, before lightly patting Basil's head with one of his ribbons. "You stay right here, and if you need anything, go back to the mess hall. They'll happily provide you with food and directions, if you tell them I sent you!"

"Thanks, Darian," the Bulbasaur replied. "This tour has been great."

"No problem, my dear. It's my job to help other Pokémon, after all! Anyway, I'll see you tomorrow at the mess hall. Now, go rest, and don't worry about a thing."

And, with that, he disappeared on the other side of the wooden door, which he carefully closed behind him.

Basil took a moment to analyze his surroundings, but found them most dull and uninteresting. The room consisted of a few stools placed around a glowing, orange rock not much larger than an oran berry, and a section that was divided in three separate cubicles, one of which Basil inspected and quickly recognize as the sleeping area.

"That's a bit sad…" he said to himself, taking a look at the untended, square-shaped pile of straw that he assumed was supposed to be a bed.

There was nothing else inside the cubicle, so he turned around and returned to the center of the room. The small rock firmly embedded on the rocky floor, right in the middle of the chamber, seemed to generate some kind of artificial heat, as each step he made towards it made him feel warmer and warmer.

The bulb he carried with him seemed to be enjoying the sensation as well, because a tingling, pleasant sensation soon began to take over his back.

It looks like fire… he thought, taking a good look at the rock, and realizing it was a bit more complex than he initially thought. But it doesn't feel like fire. My body isn't yelling at me to run away, at least.

It was yellow, for starters, and its transparent surface allowed him to take a look at its orange and red insides. It certainly looked like it was made to emulate fire, but even placing his paws on top of it caused him no pain, and the symbiotic plant on his back did not seem to react to it in the same way it reacted to real fire.

The Bulbasaur simply sat there for a few minutes, taking in the warmth of the rock, and taking deep breaths as he had his first moment alone since he had been captured.

The door opened again not too long after, however, and a tired-looking Buizel stepped right inside. She froze immediately upon finding Basil sitting on the ground, but he was unfazed by her presence. He knew what he wanted to say, but the situation was a bit weird for him to start the exchange.

"Hey, dude," she said, and the Bulbasaur felt a weight being taken off his shoulders.

"Hi, Caspia," he replied, perhaps a drier tone than he intended.

The Buizel looked considerably cleaner than the last time Basil had seen her, but her disheveled fur was left almost completely untouched. She approached the place where he was sitting down, right in front of the fire stone.

"Okay, so…" she said, her paws placed flatly over her belly. "I just wanna talk to you about what happened back there. You know, since we're gonna be partners and all…"

Basil raised an eyebrow. He had had little time to think about his feelings on Caspia during the tour, but he still felt a bit hurt about her justification for bringing him to the Overseers. Still, he stepped forward and sat down in front of her, folding his vines after placing his new cape on top of his bed.

"I'm listening," he stated, plainly.

Caspia cleared her voice.

"Thanks for having my back when I spoke to my dad," she began. "He can be a bit… grumpy. I was surprised when you defended me, after, you know…"

The Bulbasaur sighed, remembering the feeling that overtook him when he jumped in Caspia's defense in front her intimidating father.

"It's nothing," he replied. "And I think I get it. Why you wanted to use me to get to the Obsidian Order, I mean."

"Use may be a bit of a strong word…"

"Darian told me about what happened to your mom," Basil continued, regardless of her comment. The Buizel pursed her lips and nodded in silence, looking away for him. "And after giving it some thought… well, I don't think I can blame you for what you did."

"So… you're not mad at me?" The Buizel became fidgety, and wrapped her tail around her body so she could nervously play with the tips.

The Bulbasaur tilted his head to the right.

"I don't think I can," he replied, calmly. "I mean, whatever your intentions were, you did save me, right? You got me out of that cell, and through the mystery dungeon. I just… I got angry at first, because I didn't realize you may have had your reasons. It was selfish of me to pretend like you owed me anything."

The silence that followed his words was heavy and meaningful, but neither of them dared to break it, not even with a whisper or a sigh. Caspia kept staring at her feet, constantly looking like she wanted to say something, but never actually speaking up.

"Hey," Basil said, then. "Are you okay?"

"I'm good," she replied, almost before he was able to finish her question. "But I didn't want to make you feel that way, dude. I… I understand how it feels, and I should've seen that coming. I'm sorry."

She walked up to him, reaching in front of her with both arms. Usually, Basil would have reacted with hesitation and escaped the awkward physical interaction, but he could not help but feel that Caspia needed that far more than he needed to be left untouched.

He allowed her to wrap her arms around his symbiotic bulb, burying his face into the fur of her chest, which felt much cleaner and soft than the last time he touched it. Almost without even realizing, he extended his own vines so he could return the hug.

"For what is worth," she said, her voice muffled, "I think you're really cool. If we're gonna be a team, I don't want you to go around thinking I only like you cause of your weird amnesiac thingy…"

"I think you're cool too," Basil replied, softly. All the worries he had about Caspia, as well about his near future, melted away as his heart took in the warmth that exuded from her fluffy body.

"This is a dream come true, Basil…" she said, sinking closer to his back, as if she was slowly deflating after their emotional exchange. "We're gonna have so many adventures… and it's all thanks to you! Thank you for sticking with me!"

Basil opened his mouth to say something, but the words were promptly choked away from him by Caspia's strong grasp.

The hug was not aggressive, however, but soft in a way that seemed odd for a Pokémon like her, and Basil let the words Darian had spoken sink in. Through that display of pure, honest gratitude, he understood that Caspia was as dependent on him as he had been of her since the moment she found him in his prison cell.

And, for the first time he could remember, he felt useful. He felt needed. He understood, if even for just that instant, why Caspia wanted to help other Pokémon so much.

He only wished they could eventually find what he was missing.

"Am I making a huge mistake?"

Darian knew the question was coming, and he knew he would wait until the end of their meeting to ask it. Despite his looks, Marvolos Paldmoor always needed a second opinion, and he was usually the one requested to give one.

The dim lit of the shiny stones placed near the entrance of every room the Swampert's shadow look longer than normal. Marvolos kept his attention on the simple act of locking the door.

"This is one of the safest places in all of Gladia, Marv," Darian replied, avoiding the specifics of the question.

The Swampert turned to face him, and he identified a look on his face he had no memory of ever seeing before. Had he not known him better, he would have believed him to be afraid.

He waved his hand, motioning the Sylveon to follow him through the dimly lit hallway, and Darian did so.

"I know that. But… am I putting Caspia in unnecessary danger by allowing her to go on missions?" he clarified. "I knew sooner or later she would force herself back into my life, but it feels… it still feels like I've failed to prevent that from happening."

Darian's lips curled into a warm smile. He walked near his boss and looked him in the eye.

"She's ready for this," he replied in a sweet, calming tone. "She has been for a while, dear. I understand that you're afraid to lose her, but… shielding her from the world would do her no good. You already know what my stance on the matter is."

"I do…" said the Swampert, pensively. "And yet, I can't stop this feeling of dread that is growing inside my heart. If anything happens to her-"

"It won't, don't worry about it," Darian interjected. "I'll make sure of that. Plus, Basil is with her. She's not alone."

The Swampert snorted, a sound that Darian knew to interpret as a chuckle.

"Yes, as if that Bulbasaur can keep her safe in his state," he said. After a few seconds of silence, he spoke again. "I did not assign him to her because I believe it would be the best course of action. You know that, right?"

"Of course," his friend replied. "It's the first time I've ever seen Caspia make a friend."

"They have some differences to settle," the Swampert said. "But yes, the way he spoke of her, and the way she risked it all to get him help… it makes me hopeful for her. She finally has someone she can lean on."

Darian's brow furrowed. Despite the circumstances, it still felt strange to hear that from her own father. He said nothing, however, as the two of them left the office area in silence, not wishing to reignite old grudges.

But in his silence, he wondered. And, with a judging glare directed at one of his oldest friends, he asked himself why he was allowing him to be so careless with his choices. Why he was finding it so easy to let him put Caspia and Basil in danger despite the circumstances, and despite the darkness he knew would eventually catch up to them.

The frown disappeared, however, when he remembered his promise.

Top Bottom