• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

One-Shot Contest 2023 Theme Poll + Judge Call

What theme(s) would you be interested in writing for?

• History

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • Worldbuilding

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • Legendary POV

Votes: 28 62.2%
  • Festivals/Celebrations

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Past/Future

Votes: 22 48.9%
  • Origins

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • Secrets and Surprises

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Rookies

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Mystery and the Unseen

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • Gen IX/Paldea

Votes: 13 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
One-Shot Contest 2023 Theme Poll + Judge Call

One-shot contest season is upon us once again, and the first order of business is deciding what we'd like to write about this year! Thanks to everyone who shared theme ideas over Discord. If you aren't familiar with how our one-shot contests usually work, feel free to check out last year's thread. The short version is that all participants write a short story on a common topic, and then a panel of judges provides detailed feedback and ranks the entries to determine a set of top-three winners.

This poll is open through May 31st UTC, and the contest writing period will kick off immediately after on June 1st! This year we have ten themes for you to choose from, and you can vote for any number of them that interest you! They should hopefully be self-explanatory, but feel free to ask questions about any of them in the comments below.

In addition to this year's contest theme, we're also looking for judges! These are the people who will read the entries, write reviews of them, and determine their final ranking. This year, I'm expecting that any given judge will have 10-15 fics to evaluate. We're doing something a little different--instead of each judge reading every single entry, we'll be splitting the entry pool into two and essentially running two parallel contests. This means that unlike in any previous year, you will be allowed to both write an entry and judge if you so desire! On the other hand, this also means we're looking for double the number of judges we have in the past. Ideally we'd like to find eight people to judge this year!

If you're interested in judging, please post a comment below or send me a DM! And if you have any questions about what it means to be a judge, please don't hesitate to ask. You can look at last year's contest thread to get an idea of what sort of work judges do as well.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
I'm actually a bit lost on the past/future theme. Does that mean it should be a story that takes place in the past and then future? Or somehow be set in that time period? (presumably relative to the vaguely 'present' setting of pokemon?)

lisianthus

『教えてよ、まだ知らかい話』
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. altaria
I'd love to judge as well! (I helped judge a fic contest for Bulba last fall!) Also very happy I'll be able to write too~

Partners
  1. suikaibuki
Well, early results are looking like one of the top themes is going to be something I have zero interest in writing - the only one thing, actually. Go figure, right? So RIP. But if you need an extra judge, I'll be willing to work both groups and forget about writing anything. I was thinking it anyway, themes are an excuse to fully justify it :P

Last edited:

bluesidra

Mood
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. hoppip-bluesidra-reup
  2. hoppip-bluesidra-pink
  3. hoppip-bluesidra3
Hey! I’d like to judge this year, too!

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
What is the deadline to ask to judge and how long (and when) is the judging period?

I'd like to help judge but I want to make sure I have enough time to commit

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
If Legendary POV wins, will fakemon legendaries be eligible to write about, or does it HAVE to be canon legends?

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Pronouns
Any
Partners
  1. reshiram
I kinda wanna write again this year, if I have time. What's the minimum word count?

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Thanks to everyone who's volunteered to judge so far! I was apprehensive about finding enough people, but although we definitely still have spots left to fill, it's encouraging to see so much early interest!

I'm actually a bit lost on the past/future theme. Does that mean it should be a story that takes place in the past and then future? Or somehow be set in that time period? (presumably relative to the vaguely 'present' setting of pokemon?)
I think anything that plays around with the idea of the past and/or future of the pokéworld would work well! For inspiration, you might look at some of the recent pokémon games, which I think have played around with this in various ways. You could write something about a collision between past and future like the one seen in Legends: Arceus when a contemporary character gets dumped into the past. You could write about characters' visions for the pokéworld's future or what happens when a bunch of prehistoric pokémon are unleashed on the present pokémon world, which are topics touched upon in Scarlet/Violet. Or straying from the mainline series, you might write about what happens when a bunch of humans from all different time periods get thrown into the PMD world together, or what living in the Dark Future might be like.

With that theme I think we'd be looking for an exploration of what the Pokémon world's past and/or future might be like or how they influence the present--you could pick one or the other rather than needing to address both past and future.

What is the deadline to ask to judge and how long (and when) is the judging period?

I'd like to help judge but I want to make sure I have enough time to commit
I'd like to get the judges locked down by June 17th if at all possible, so I'm not potentially scrambling to find people right before the judging period's set to start. So you have a little time if you're wanting to wait and see which theme wins before deciding to judge, need a bit of time to figure out your schedule, etc.

Judging begins July 1st, and we try to get things wrapped up in about two months, by September. I'll add that info to the first post!

Only caveat is that it's more or less first-come, first-served on judging, so if you know you're interested and are theme-agnostic, it's better to volunteer earlier rather than later. June 17th is my hard target for getting the roster finalized, but I expect it will probably fill out before then.

If Legendary POV wins, will fakemon legendaries be eligible to write about, or does it HAVE to be canon legends?
I think if Legendary POV were to win, we'd be pretty inclusive about what constituted a "legendary" for the purpose of the contest, because there are so many different possible definitions and people draw the line in different places. The key, I think, is going to be really showcasing what it's like to be a legendary pokémon--how that's different than being a "nonlegendary" one. So as long as the POV feels convincingly legendary, then I think someone could enter with a pokémon whose legendary status is tenuous or disputed (such as arcanine, silvally, etc.) or a fakemon legendary if they'd like. With fakemon specifically there's the additional challenge of making sure the audience understands what they are well enough to follow the story, but as long as you're okay making introductions for people who've never heard of the fakemon before, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to enter with a fakemon legend.

I kinda wanna write again this year, if I have time. What's the minimum word count?
No minimum! There's always the caveat that very short stories may be at a disadvantage compared to stories that have more words to develop their ideas, but if you think you can pull off a good take on the theme in a very small number of words, you're welcome to!

Ambyssin

Gotta go back. Back to the past.
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
We're doing something a little different--instead of each judge reading every single entry, we'll be splitting the entry pool into two and essentially running two parallel contests. This means that unlike in any previous year, you will be allowed to both write an entry and judge if you so desire!
Just to clarify, then, that would mean each "pool" has a first, second, third, etc.? Sounds interesting. I guess organizers will have to wait to see how many submissions they get before determining how many judges are really needed and, depending on how many also submitted entries, how to divvy up the entries fairly.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Correct, there will be two each of first/second/third, one for each pool. I feel pretty confident that eight is the right number of judges, which would be two pools with four judges each, based on the number of entries we've gotten in the past. It should work fine up to about 35 entries or so. If we get way fewer entries than expected, to the point where we couldn't make two good parallel contests, I'll discuss among the judge volunteers who really wants to judge versus who's okay with stepping out for this year... eight judges for one set of fics might be kind of a lot, but if there are five or six people who all really want to judge, that would be perfectly fine, I think.

Once the final list of judges has been determined, I'll randomize them into two groups. Then when all entries are in, I'll assign any judge entries into the opposite pool and rand the remainder between the two groups such that each group has the same number of fics, +/- one if the number of entries is odd.

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Hello, I would like to sign up as a judge! I may also be writing—not sure if I needed to mention that, and it’s not set in stone yet, but I’m heavily considering it. :)

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
I'm tentatively interested in judging and writing! I THINK I can make the winning topic work in a way I'd enjoy writing

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
I'd be interested in judging as well! (And writing but it remains to be seen if that will happen)

bluesidra

Mood
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. hoppip-bluesidra-reup
  2. hoppip-bluesidra-pink
  3. hoppip-bluesidra3
I wondered what PoV means in the legendary pov context. 1st and 3rd limited is a given, 2nd probably also, but what about 3rd omni, when you have a narrator with its own personality that focuses on the leggy but knows everything about what's going on in the other characters' heads, too?
Maybe a bit too concrete for now, just need to ask it before I forget it

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Thanks so much for expressing interest in judging, HelloYellow, Sind, and Tetra! We may be full up on judges at this point; I'll follow up with people over the next few days to see if I can't get a final lineup together.

The theme poll will be closing exactly twenty-four hours from now! I messed up the closing time when creating the poll, and it's too late to change it now, but I'll be screenshotting the results at 11:59 UTC, and those will be considered the final results. Make sure to get your vote in if you haven't already!

I wondered what PoV means in the legendary pov context. 1st and 3rd limited is a given, 2nd probably also, but what about 3rd omni, when you have a narrator with its own personality that focuses on the leggy but knows everything about what's going on in the other characters' heads, too?
Maybe a bit too concrete for now, just need to ask it before I forget it
As long as the primary focus is on the legendary's POV, I think dipping into other characters' heads now and again would be fine. However, whether the legendary POV has been centered "enough" is probably going to be subjective, and different judges may have different opinions about how well the theme's been utilized, so I can't guarantee you won't get docked on theme if you take that approach.

I also think that if the omniscient narrator was themselves a legendary pokémon, that's another way that third omniscient could work for this contest.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
I think we're probably set for judges at this point, but I can put you down as an alternate in case we need someone else to fill in. Thanks for helping out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom