• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

One-Shot Contest 2022 Theme Poll

What theme(s) would you like to write a one-shot about?

• Hisui

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Pokéworld Holidays

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Villain POV

Votes: 24 63.2%
  • Everyday Life in the Pokéworld

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • Pokémon Culture

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • Cross-Canon Fic

Votes: 8 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
One-Shot Contest 2022 Theme Poll

It's nearly time for our annual one-shot contest! The writing period will begin June 1st, but before anyone can start their writing, we need to figure out what people would like to write about! The theme options above were selected from suggestions submitted during the timing poll earlier this year. Narrowing those down to six was tough, and I expect the poll this year will be close, too! Please feel free to vote for as many different themes as you think you'd enjoy writing for, and look out for the results when the contest is officially announced on June 1st.

The themes on offer are:

Hisui: The wild success of Legends: Arceus has lots of people talking about this retro take on the Sinnoh region. This theme welcomes stories centered around Hisui's pokémon, its lore, culture, or even the land itself. Anything's fair game as long as it showcases some aspect of Hisui.

Pokéworld Holidays: One of the defining aspects of a culture is what and how it celebrates, and nothing shows that off better than holidays! What sorts of holidays would a human farmer in Kanto observe? What about a pokémon living in a Mystery Dungeon? This theme calls for one-shots focused on a holiday or holidays celebrated in the Pokémon World, whether one that's been touched on in canon or one you've made up yourself!

Villain POV: The Pokémon franchise has given us a wealth of villains, scoundrels, and generally Bad Guys, from villainous teams to the humble magikarp salesman. This one-shot theme asks you to tell a story through the eyes of any one of them.

Everyday Life in the Pokéworld: Many of our favorite Pokémon stories feature grand adventures, high-stakes action, or larger-than-life personalities. But what about all the people living in the Pokémon World who don't get to be the protagonist? What's it like to work at a library in Johto, or make your living as a berry farmer on the Mist Continent? This one-shot theme looks for stories about ordinary, day-to-day life in whatever version of the Pokémon World you'd like to explore.

Pokémon Culture: What does life look like in Pokémon society? You might look at the culture of wild Pokémon, village-living PMD mon, Pokémon living among humans, or any other sort of social group you'd like. One way or another, you'd want your one-shot to showcase the culture that's developed for this particular Pokémon group!

Cross-Canon Fic: Crossovers across franchises can be loads of fun, but Pokémon's somewhat unusual in that it has so many different canons that you don't need to go outside the Pokéworld to come up with a compelling crossover. The idea behind this theme is simple: write a story drawing on elements from two or more different Pokémon canons. Whether it's a simple anime x mainline games mashup or a Trozei x Pokémon Special remix, this theme welcomes all stories that blend aspects of different pokémon canons together.

In addition to a contest theme, we are also looking for judges. Contest judges will be the people who rank, review, and ultimately decide the outcome of the contest! Being a judge means that you'll be expected to review ~15 one-shots over a two-month period and rank them according to how well-written they are and how well they use the theme. If you'd like examples of past judging, you can check out the results thread for last year's contest!

If you're interested in judging for this year's contest, please post in this thread or send me a DM. We'd ideally like four judges for the contest this year. Note that if you serve as a judge, you may not also submit an entry to the contest.

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Pronouns
Any
Partners
  1. reshiram
I am gonna pass on judging this year alas since I wanted to give other people a chance for once and busy months are coming up for me... And I am also passing on *participating* since I'm deprioritizing oneshots until I can get a better schedule in order for my chapterfics. So... I'm not participating at all this year and while it's probably necessary it does make me sad.

(At least I will potentially be spared from unwittingly giving Farla a scathing review a third time.)

...I did vote in the poll tho. I AM interested in the fics that come out of this contest.

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
Definitly going to try to toss a one shot this year. It'll be a challenge.

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
I... would be tempted to join, but I'm honestly kinda
701630550720512120.png
-ing over the idea of taking the plunge since I don't exactly have a history of doing well with contest prompts... or even completing them in time.

I did get in some votes, but my involvement with this contest one way or another is going to be very "we'll see", since June and July as it stands are going to be pretty busy months for me this year with my own writing and IRL commitments.

Reactions: K_S

Blackjack Gabbiani

Merely a collector
Pronouns
Them
Partners
  1. shaymin
  2. dusknoir
Villain fics you say.

Also I gotta say, "mist continent" threw me because Final Fantasy 9 has one of them too. I had to look up that it was from Mystery Dungeon.

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
Ah but how about mist encouragement on the mist continent. A melding of aqua and magma in a mystery dungeon setting.. After all the more mist/water the bigger the continent right?

Sorry my minds in an odd place today...

Definitly looking forward to a (potentially) villianous snort-spore of fics this year.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Thanks to everyone who's voted on a theme thus far! As predicted, the frontrunners are very close... if you haven't cast your vote already, be sure to do so soon!

Also, we are still looking for judges! Please send me a DM or post in this thread if you'd be interested in judging this year!

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
It was neck-and-neck right up to the end, but when all's said and done, Villain POV is the clear winner of the theme poll!

I'd also like to thank bluesidra, SparklingEspeon, and windskull for volunteering to judge this year's contest. Thank you so much for your help--we literally couldn't do it without you!

Look out for an official contest announcement with full details very soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom