• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

One-Shot Contest 2021 Theme Poll

What theme(s) would you be interested in writing about?

• Sinnoh

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Human/Pokémon Partnership

Votes: 25 67.6%
  • Reunions

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • Other (please comment with more info)

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
It's time to get ready for our yearly one-shot contest! We're getting started a little earlier this year so people will hopefully have time to get their writing done before exams, but before that writing starts... we need a theme! We're also going to need some judges to help out with the contest itself.

These are the theme options the staff came up with for this year. Vote for as many as you like! The poll will remain open until Friday the 29th.

Sinnoh: This chilly region has been getting a lot of buzz recently--will we be returning there soon in the mainline game series? This theme would welcome stories centered around Sinnoh's pokémon, its lore, or even the land itself. Anything's fair game as long as it showcases some aspect of the Sinnoh region.

Human/Pokémon Partnership: The connection between humans and pokémon has always been at the core of the franchise, whether it's the bond between trainer and pokémon, between pokémon-turned-human and partner, or even the fleeting relationship between a ranger and a pokémon they've called on for help. How do humans and pokémon live together in the pokémon world, for good or for ill? Whether you want to explore the sorts of examples we've seen in canon or take things in a completely different direction, it's fair game as long as the story centers around the relationship between humans and pokémon!

Reunions: This marks the Pokémon franchise's 25th year. As we look back at the series' roots, this theme celebrates the idea of the return, the way that the people who fall out of our lives can sometimes reenter them just as unexpectedly. The various pokémon canons offer many stories of reunion to explore, and the opportunity to imagine many more, and any of them would make for a fine entry under this theme.

If you have another idea, feel free to share it in this thread! If it's popular, we might go with it over one of these themes, or it might reappear as the prompt for another event (or for our contest next year).

We also need judges! We're looking for 3-4 people to read, review, and rank the contest entries. This means you'll be asked to review up to fifteen one-shots over the course of two months (March-April, although you can start a bit early if entries are received before the deadline) and, at the end, rank the entries from best to worst. To get an idea of what the job would look like, you can take a look at the results from last year's contest! Note that if you volunteer to judge, you won't be able to enter the contest yourself. If you're interested, post in this thread or shoot me a private message!

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
I'm not really a fan of the first one. It'd be really difficult to do in a PMD setting.

WildBoots

Don’t underestimate seeds.
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. moka-mark
  2. solrock
I'm not really a fan of the first one. It'd be really difficult to do in a PMD setting.
I'm pretty sure you could do a gen IV pokemon in a PMD setting and it would count.

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Pronouns
Any
Partners
  1. reshiram
What the oither two said. The themes are flexible so people don't get screwed over on preference! That said there's still a lot of non PMD authors here, and there's nothing wrong with going out of your comfort zone. :p

Also I am very enthusiastic about judging again but if I don't make the cut I COULD use a break from my current project.

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
.. How about a mystery dungeon team popping out of a dungeon run into the uninhabited ruins of a shinnoh town?

Also towards the event organizer I would like to help judge\score but my caps five stories per time constraints. Can I still offer my services?

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Hmm, question! If I write a one-shot and then later use it in my long-fic, is that considered “cheating?” Would it no longer be considered a one-shot if I’m writing with the possible intention of including it in my long-fic later?

I’m also potentially interested in being a judge! 👀

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
!!! @OldschoolJohto one of your companions is a FREAKING MOKA POT hkjhkhhsjd

You’re amazing. 😂

canisaries

you should've known the price of evil
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. inkay-shirlee
  2. houndoom-elliot
  3. yamask-joanna
  4. shuppet
  5. deerling-andre
I wanna sign up as a judge this time! I need to make myself better at reading, and I'm likely to read many of the entries anyway.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Also I am very enthusiastic about judging again but if I don't make the cut I COULD use a break from my current project.
Fantastic! Thanks for volunteering.

I'm not going to participate in this one (I have way too much on my writing plate to do even more writing) but I can volunteer as a judge if necessary!
Awesome, thanks for volunteering!

Also towards the event organizer I would like to help judge\score but my caps five stories per time constraints. Can I still offer my services?
Generally judges need to review all stories. If there's a very large volume of entries (like more than ~17) and the judges would have trouble handling all of them in a reasonable amount of time, we may switch to a system where we bring in people to write some of the reviews. In that case you wouldn't have to write more than five.

Hmm, question! If I write a one-shot and then later use it in my long-fic, is that considered “cheating?” Would it no longer be considered a one-shot if I’m writing with the possible intention of including it in my long-fic later?

I’m also potentially interested in being a judge! 👀
You can do pretty much whatever you want with your entry after the contest! If you feel that it would work well as a chapter/part of a chapter of a longer story, you're welcome to repurpose it in that way. The only thing I'd caution you about is that if you're thinking of writing a story along those lines, make sure it stands alone well. If your entry feels like a piece of a longer story rather than something that's satisfying on its own, the judges will probably rank you lower as a result.

You've got a couple days yet to decide about judging! Just let me know.

I wanna sign up as a judge this time! I need to make myself better at reading, and I'm likely to read many of the entries anyway.
Awesome! Glad to have you.

Flaze

Don't stop, keep walking
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. infernape
Well I'm all in for this, always good for a chance to practice writing shorter stuff (?)

NebulaDreams

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. luxray
  2. hypno
Yup, I'm in for it too. This theme is my jam, so I hope I can bounce back after last year.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Awesome! I look forward to reading your entries.

Meanwhile, the poll is now closed, and it looks like this year's theme will be human/pokémon partnership! I'd also like to give a shout out to our judging panel this year: Umbramatic, kyeugh, canisaries, and HelloYellow17! Thanks to all of you for volunteering, and to Namohysip for offering to step in if more help was needed!

We have our theme, so now all that's left is the logistics. Look out for another announcement Monday with the full rules of the contest, as long as the official opening of the writing period!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom