• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon [One-shot] and the rainstorms continue on

Extension_Driver

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
he/him

and the rainstorms continue on​

In years past, two children came to stop a titan of the seas before it could flood the world. In their quest, they discovered the remnants of a familiar story. A team of eco-terrorists, a blue orb of primal power, the great sky-dragon at the top of the world.

The story ended, the same way it always did. The same way it always must.

This is not that world. This is not that story.

Here, the rain continues on.

Bullet-rain, crushing as always, crashed against the decks of Pacfidlog.

The great sails, once hastily erected, billowed fully in the wind. The houses of the sea-faring town swayed and wobbled, but the ropes held.

Its destination since the Calamity; Mossdeep. Ever Grande City had gone under, just like the rest.

It was sad, Adam thought, that the only saving grace of Pacifdlog was that the houses themselves were boats. It was the same for most of the residents, too; many had had families visiting others when Kyogre had been raised and the news came about.

He sighed. Ever Grande City had been a bit of a wreck, deserted and empty of survivors. It had seemed most had evacuated or died. Only the odd wild Pokemon remained, wandering the broken city searching for food.

Of course, not all were wild; there were a few pets left behind in the rush. Which was how David, his friend, got his Pokemon.

It wasn’t like there was a coherent League around to make the rules, or any governing body, really. He was her owner for the time being.

Outside, thunder roared; it was the longest flood-cycle that this world had seen thus far. A week, and the storm showed no sign of stopping. All because of Team Aqua.

David coughed near him as he petted Bubbles, his Marill, drawing his attention. ‘Lovely weather out there, isn’t it?” He tugged his raincoat – one a size too big for him, liberated from an abandoned shop a couple flood-cycles ago; none of them really bothered to care what day it was anymore. It could have been days to weeks; the only constant was the crashing of bullet-rain.

Adam grimaced. “Yes. Yes it is. It’s a great day to stay inside this ramshackle seafaring settlement, wondering if we might die--

As if on cue, the lights inside the house flickered for a couple seconds. “Shut it,” David replied. “We’ll be at Mossdeep in like... a couple days. Just hold out till then.”

“Wish we coulda stayed longer in Sootapolis,” Adam grumbled. “So many shops to go through, and what, we only checked the hospital and the grocery stores?”

“Dude, if this joint overloads we’re all going down.” David sighed. “You coulda grabbed a couple PokeBalls from the PokeMart back at Sootipolis y’know, try to catch something when we make landfall.”

“I’m not a serious Trainer. Never was.” Adam shook his head. “Like, how many gyms did you get through?”

“Like, three.”

“I got two. Before I thought the food expense and time wasn’t worth it. And damn, I released much of my team; gave my last one to my younger brother.” He sighed. “I’ll work something out once we all land.”

The day of arrival came and went, as the scouting parties among the town’s population of one-hundred and fifty disembarked to check the city.

Adam found nothing but shorted-out electronics and clothes in a couple houses, most of them decaying and rotting awasy from continued explosure to rain. Many of these houses accompanied – and outnumbered – the empty shelves of the few stores found near this side of the city. The Pokemon Gym was locked and empty, with nary a Trainer in sight. It seemed that its workers had been given priority and advance warning in the evacuation, judging by how neat everything looked.

One of the houses was unusually well-maintained. Many of its windows had been sealed with heavy tape and boarded over. The back door was unlocked, and he let himself in, noticing a short trail of oil on the floor.

Adam grimaced, before his eye caught a copper-tipped spear hung on the wall, on two large hooks. The shaft was unevenly carved and the head was bound with twine, causing it to stick out of the modern architecture of the house like a sore thumb.

Opening a cupboard, he spotted some tin cans, noting the smell of freshly-salted fish. It was almost impossible for what he found to be this fresh. Nodding, he closed the cans, and stuffed two of them into his backpack, making sure to leave everything as he found it.

Well. Better late than never to check the PokeMart.

The PokeMart, unlike the houses on the far side of the city, was mostly untouched save for slight water damage. The sign was flipped to OPEN and the door swung open with a push; it seemed like the shopkeepers had neglected to lock up in their hasty evacuation.

Apart from the half-empty shelves, it looked chillingly normal. Upon opening the door, the automated bell had chimed its signature annoying jingle. Back in better times it would have been a signal to greet customers, now it served as a bell to any wild Pokemon in the area.

He moved to one of the shelves containing PokeBalls, almost slipping on yet another trail of oil. As he moved to pick one up, a noise from the store room drew his attention.

Standing in the doorway was a strange cat-like creature, three-and-a-half foot tall; all cyan and pink with the biggest purple eyes he’d ever seen. It stared, unblinking. He swore he could see it vibrating in place, like the rush of a million sugar highs were coursing through its veins. It didn’t seem bothered by the water rolling off its back, and Adam felt unfairly jealous at it’s obvious lack of discomfort when here he was, standing in clothes that had long since gone crusty with seawater.

“Hi!” Its voice was the squeakiest he’d ever heard, like these kids that he’d picked on back in middle school. Each word of its speech blended into the next, making them hard to understand. “WhatcanIdoforyou?”
Its oily-black pupils, he noticed, were big enough to see his own reflection in. He didn’t want the thing to think he was stealing, so, he put the PokeBall back and replied, “Nothing,” before walking out, trying to force the conversation and awkwardness out of his mind.

Behind him, he faintly heard, “Threelandmarktokensforthatcaptureball.” It was not worth the mental effort to even process the slimy cat’s too-rapid, excitable speech, and he continued on his way.

For a brief moment, he wondered if the supplies he had found in the well-maintained house had been that creature’s possessions – no, that didn’t matter. Even if that were true, these supplies were his now.

Bubbles was having the worst day of her life, thus far. She’d approached the Pokemon Center, with its lights on, while waiting for her Trainer to be done with checking out a nearby building.

Two bipedal, slimy cats with frilly pink whiskers had waved at her, and she’d screamed.

It was when David came to check on her to find her crying outside the doorway to the house that he’d been checking. He’d tried to ask her what was wrong, and she’d mutely pointed at the PokeCenter.

Her Trainer sighed and picked her up, moving towards it.

David had always thought he knew what to expect when he entered a PokeCenter. A Chansey manning the counter, Nurse Joy with her wide smile, in her standard cap and dress, the PC Storage terminal...

The terminal for the PC Storage system in this one was long since disconnected. It wouldn't even turn on when he pressed the power switch.

A voice made him jump. Behind the counter, speaking English, was a 3-foot tall... thing; looking much like a slimy cat at first glance. It nodded to him. “Need help?” it asked, ears flattening upon seeing him.

“No, I’m fine.” A pause, before he asked, “So... what – I mean, who – are you?”

There was no response, so David decided to name it a slugcat in lieu of whatever its species was. It seemed the most appropriate considering its appearance.

“Well.” David looked at the two slugcats sitting on low stools. Before long, he turned to the one behind the counter; its pelt was a pristine white. He’d call this one Sugar. “What do you sell?”

Sugar’s tail swished behind them and their ears twitched. He didn't know what it meant; maybe he could ask later. “Room for the night is 2 city tokens. Extra nights after that needs 2 city tokens and 2 landmark tokens each.”

“Tokens- he began, but Sugar gestured to a tourist coin-press machine behind the counter. A note on the machine read;

This machine only accepts P1000, P100, P10 or P1 notes.We apologize for the inconvenience.

He passed one of each note over to Sugar, who inserted them one-by-one. The machine spat out tokens; one of each type corresponding to the money inserted.

Sugar passed him the city token. “Here. You wish to stay the night, give me more notes.” they said, before handing over the tokens left over.

The coin press being exorbitant was no surprise. Mossdeep was a university city and tourist trap; everything had its value artificially inflated here. What was surprising was that the slugcats had repurposed it to mint their own currency, in a sense.

He thanked Sugar and left, about to get back to Pacfidlog to rest. They’d be here for a few more days, then they’d move on. Still, he wondered if he should reveal the existence of the slugcats; if he had come into contact with them who knew if the other parties had. Hell, they’d probably already did.

Still, as he left, the thought of sleeping in a room with actual electricity, proper running water instead of heavily processed and filtered drinks made him smile. He’d have to get the mayor’s permission first. If not, he could just sneak out – hell, framing it as a “no-one cares about prices anymore” would be easy enough.

Back in the house, he flopped onto a chair. Adam came through shortly after. “Yo, Adam. You found anything?”

Adam passed him the dried fish without a word. “Here. Dried fish; takes good enough. Otherwise, nothing but a slimy cat.” He noticed the tokens clutched in David’s hands. ‘Seriously? Tourist trap tokens? Don’t you have like, anything better to do than waste what money you have?”

David laughed, dropping the tokens onto the table with a clatter. “Hey, don’t say that. I’m just collecting them. Besides, we were just looting buildings a while ago.” He took a bite of salted fish. “Holy shit, this stuff is fresh. You know where I can find more?” When no response was gained, he continued, “I guess it doesn’t really matter.”

“Mhmm,” Adam replied through a mouthful of dried fish. “Well, I’ll be seeing you. Got more things to do than just standing around.” He turned and left.

David was left alone with his thoughts. Yes, he could wait a few moments before telling the mayor. Giving the tokens one last look, his mind was made up. He’d kill to spend the night in a properly-heated room again. Besides, if the tin can of dried fish came where he suspected it did, slugcat cuisine ought to be delicious. He'd have to be careful what he ate, of course; he doubt they would know about allergies...

He looked up at the sky through the window – the rare instances where the flood-rains stopped to let the sun shine.

It was definitely going to be a good day after all.

Last edited:

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Heya, was working my way down the list of my hitlist of authors to get through this Review Blitz and decided to read something of yours tonight. I was actually wavering a bit over what to read, but I saw that you had this one-shot which seems to be the expanded version of the flashback to Brendan and May from your first chapter of your Rain World crossover fic, so I decided that I’d give it a gander and see what the full story there was:

Bullet-rain, crushing as always, crashed against the decks of Pacfidlog.

The great sails, once hastily erected, billowed fully in the wind. The houses of the sea-faring town swayed and wobbled, but the ropes held.

Its destination since the Calamity; Mossdeep. Ever Grande City had gone under, just like the rest.

Ah yes, Hoenn is doing swell™ right now.

It was sad, Adam thought, that the only saving grace of Pacifdlog was that the houses themselves were boats. It was the same for most of the residents, too; many had had families visiting others when Kyogre had been roused and the news came about.

He sighed. Ever Grande City had been a bit of a wreck, deserted and empty of survivors. It had seemed most had evacuated or died. Only the odd wild Pokemon remained, wandering the broken city searching for food.

Wait, so just how much did the sea level around Hoenn rise anyways given that Ever Grande City is apparently uninhabitable in spite of being separated from the sea by an entire cliffside.
1105356025936228434.webp

Of course, not all were wild; there were a few pets left behind in the rush. Which was how David, his friend, got his Pokemon.

It wasn’t like there was a coherent League around to make the rules, or any governing body, really. He was her owner for the time being.

Wait, is David human in this story, or…?

Outside, thunder roared; it was the longest flood-cycle that this world had seen thus far. A week, and the storm showed no sign of stopping. All because of Team Aqua.

Yeah, I’ll take the under on Adam and David being human, since the terminology they’re using feels a lot like the same sort that the protagonist from your Rain World crossover story uses.

David coughed near him as he petted Bubbles, his Marill, drawing his attention. ‘Lovely weather out there, isn’t it?”

He tugged his raincoat – one a size too big for him, liberated from an abandoned shop a couple flood-cycles ago; none of them really bothered to care what day it was anymore. It could have been days to weeks; the only constant was the crashing of bullet-rain.

Adam grimaced. “Yes. Yes it is. It’s a great day to stay inside this ramshackle seafaring settlement, wondering if we might die--

Ah yes, Adam’s certainly a shining beacon of positivity there. Just what one needs in the middle of an ongoing regional disaster. ^^;

As if on cue, the lights inside the house flickered for a couple seconds. “Shut it,” David replied. “We’ll be at Mossdeep in like... a couple days. Just hold out till then.”

“Wish we coulda stayed longer in Sootopolis,” Adam grumbled. “So many shops to go through, and what, we only checked the hospital and the grocery stores?”

[ ]

“Dude, if this joint overloads we’re all going down.” David sighed. “You coulda grabbed a couple PokeBalls from the PokeMart back at Sootopolis y’know, try to catch something when we make landfall.”

I… actually can’t tell whether or not these two are supposed to be humans or slugcats right now. It might have made sense to have a bit more description earlier on to establish things given that this one-shot is tagged as also being a Rain World crossover.

“I’m not a serious Trainer. Never was.” Adam shook his head. “Like, how many gyms did you get through?”

“Like, three.”

“I got two. Before I thought the food expense and time wasn’t worth it. And damn, I released much of my team; gave my last one to my younger brother.” He sighed. “I’ll work something out once we all land.”

press-x-to-doubt-la-noire.jpg

The day of arrival came and went, as the scouting parties among the town’s population of one-hundred and fifty disembarked to check the city.

Adam found nothing but shorted-out electronics and clothes in a couple houses, most of them decaying and rotting away from continued exposure to rain. Many of those houses accompanied – and outnumbered – the empty shelves of the few stores found near this side of the city. The Pokemon Gym was locked and empty, with nary a Trainer in sight. It seemed that its workers had been given priority and advance warning in the evacuation, judging by how neat everything looked.

Oh, so the Pokémon League really just bailed from the towns and left everybody to their fate, huh? Since I think that’s what that second paragraph is implying there…
1105356025936228434.webp

One of the houses was unusually well-maintained. Many of its windows had been sealed with heavy tape and boarded over. The back door was unlocked, and he let himself in, noticing a short trail of oil on the floor.

Adam grimaced, before his eye caught a copper-tipped spear hung on the wall, on two large hooks. The shaft was unevenly carved and the head was bound with twine, causing making it to stick out of from the modern architecture of the house like a sore thumb.

Ah yes, there’s our slugcats to make this a Rain World crossover.

Opening a cupboard, he spotted some tin cans, noting the smell of freshly-salted fish. It was almost impossible for what he found to be this fresh. Nodding, he closed the cans, and stuffed two of them into his backpack, making sure to leave everything as he found it.

Well. Better late than never to check the PokeMart.

So slugcats came to this world sometime around the Great Kyogreing, huh? Since I notice that Adam was completely unfamiliar with the signs of their presence in this abandoned house.

The PokeMart, unlike the houses on the far side of the city, was mostly untouched save for slight water damage. The sign was flipped to OPEN and the door swung open with a push; it seemed like the shopkeepers had neglected to lock up in their hasty evacuation.

Apart from the half-empty shelves, it looked chillingly normal. Upon opening the door, the automated bell had chimed its signature annoying jingle. Back in better times it would have been a signal to greet customers, now it served as a bell to any wild Pokemon in the area.

I’m honestly surprised that there’s still electricity to keep everything powered right now.

He moved to one of the shelves containing PokeBalls, almost slipping on yet another trail of oil. As he moved to pick one up, a noise from the store room drew his attention.

Standing in the doorway was a strange cat-like creature, three-and-a-half feet tall; all cyan and pink with the biggest purple eyes he’d ever seen. It stared, unblinking. He swore he could see it vibrating in place, like the rush of a million sugar highs were coursing through its veins. It didn’t seem bothered by the water rolling off its back, and Adam felt unfairly jealous at its obvious lack of discomfort when here he was, standing in clothes that had long since gone crusty with seawater.

He’s about to take a spear to the gut, isn’t he?

“Hi!” Its voice was the squeakiest he’d ever heard, like these kids that he’d picked on back in middle school. Each word of its speech blended into the next, making them hard to understand. “WhatcanIdoforyou?”

Its oily-black pupils, he noticed, were big enough to see his own reflection in. He didn’t want the thing to think he was stealing, so, he put the PokeBall back and replied, “Nothing,” before walking out, trying to force the conversation and awkwardness out of his mind.

Huh, that was a friendlier encounter than I was expecting. For now. Though do slugcats actually do this in Rain World? Or is this cyan one’s speech pattern deliberately modeled after a specific character from the game?

Behind him, he faintly heard, “Threelandmarktokensforthatcaptureball.” It was not worth the mental effort to even process the slimy cat’s too-rapid, excitable speech, and he continued on his way.

For a brief moment, he wondered if the supplies he had found in the well-maintained house had been that creature’s possessions – no, that didn’t matter. Even if that were true, these supplies were his now.

Yeah, this guy’s going to meet the business end of a spear before the scene’s over, I can already tell.

Bubbles was having the worst day of her life, thus far. She’d approached the Pokemon Center, with its lights on, while waiting for her Trainer to be done with checking out a nearby building.

Two bipedal, slimy cats with frilly pink whiskers had waved at her, and she’d screamed.

It was when David came to check on her to find her crying outside the doorway to the house that he’d been checking. He’d tried to ask her what was wrong, and she’d mutely pointed at the PokeCenter.

Her Trainer sighed and picked her up, moving towards it.

Oh hey, I found a clip of how Bubbles is doing at the moment:

marill-pokemon.gif

Though Bubbles must not be particularly experienced as a Pokémon given that her impulse when startled is to run and hide behind her trainer.

David had always thought he knew what to expect when he entered a PokeCenter. A Chansey manning the counter, Nurse Joy with her wide smile, in her standard cap and dress, the PC Storage terminal...

The terminal for the PC Storage system in this one was long since disconnected. It wouldn't even turn on when he pressed the power switch.

A voice made him jump. Behind the counter, speaking English, was a 3-foot tall... thing; looking much like a slimy cat at first glance. It nodded to him. “Need help?” it asked, ears flattening upon seeing him.

Wait, wait, wait. How are the slugcats even speaking English in this story anyways? Like I understand the meta purpose of it happening so that way humans and slugcats can communicate coherently with one another, but I wonder if that’s a side effect of however they were brought to this setting.

“No, I’m fine.” A pause, before he asked, “So... what – I mean, who – are you?”

There was no response, so David decided to name it a slugcat in lieu of whatever its species was. It seemed the most appropriate considering its appearance.

Huh? Is ‘slugcat’ not official terminology from Rain World? Though I suppose if the boot fits…

“Well.” David looked at the two slugcats sitting on low stools. Before long, he turned to the one behind the counter; its pelt was a pristine white. He’d call this one Sugar.

What do you sell?”

Sugar’s tail swished behind them and their ears twitched. He didn't know what it meant; maybe he could ask later. “Room for the night is 2 city tokens. Extra nights after that needs 2 city tokens and 2 landmark tokens each.”

Oh boy, after seeing how Adam just blew off the last slugcat in the Pokécenter, I smell conflict a-brewin’. Especially if David tries to just laugh this off and keep going on his own.

“Tokens- he began, but Sugar gestured to a tourist coin-press machine behind the counter. A note on the machine read;

This machine only accepts P1000, P100, P10 or P1 notes. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Wait, are “tokens” slugcat-ese for the money bills left behind by humans?

He passed one of each note over to Sugar, who inserted them one-by-one. The machine spat out tokens; one of each type corresponding to the money inserted.

Sugar passed him the city token. “Here. You wish to stay the night, give me more notes.” they said, before handing over the tokens left over.

… Wait, how on earth did the slugcats just have a vending machine ready to go for that? And what on earth are those tokens that they’re talking about? .-.

The coin press being exorbitant was no surprise. Mossdeep was a university city and tourist trap; everything had its value artificially inflated here. What was surprising was that the slugcats had repurposed it to mint their own currency, in a sense.

Oh, so the tokens are just coins that have run through the coin presses based off of the pattern left behind on them. I wonder if that should’ve been described in a bit more detail, since it took me a while to pick up that “[X] token” meant “flattened coin with image of [X] on it”.

He thanked Sugar and left, about to get back to Pacifidlog to rest. They’d be here for a few more days, then they’d move on. Still, he wondered if he should reveal the existence of the slugcats; if he had come into contact with them, who knew if the other parties had? Hell, they’d probably already did.

Wait, I’m not following why David’s even wondering about this. Like what’s his rationale for not including it in his report in-setting? Since it’s not really communicated here.

Still, as he left, the thought of sleeping in a room with actual electricity, proper running water instead of heavily processed and filtered drinks made him smile. He’d have to get the mayor’s permission first. If not, he could just sneak out – hell, framing it as a “no-one cares about prices anymore” would be easy enough.

de7.png

Back in the safehouse, he flopped onto a chair. Adam came through shortly after. [ ]

Yo, Adam. You found anything?”

Adam passed him the dried fish without a word. “Here. Dried fish; tastes good enough. Otherwise, nothing but a slimy cat.” He noticed the tokens clutched in David’s hands. ‘Seriously? Tourist trap tokens? Don’t you have like, anything better to do than waste what money you have?”

I kinda wonder if there’s anything more that can be said about this house to set the general mood, if not here, then earlier on when Adam and David are setting out from it, since I just realized that I can’t visualize this house at all at the moment.

David: “Adam, is our money even worth anything right now given that there’s been an ongoing regional apocalypse for months at this point?”
916590116670144542.webp

David laughed, dropping the tokens onto the table with a clatter. “Hey, don’t say that. I’m just collecting them. Besides, we were just looting buildings a while ago.” He took a bite of salted fish. “Holy shit, this stuff is fresh. You know where I can find more?” When no response was gained, he continued, “I guess it doesn’t really matter.”

“Mhmm,” Adam replied through a mouthful of dried fish. “Well, I’ll be seeing you. Got more things to do than just standing around.” He turned and left.

David was left alone with his thoughts. Yes, he could wait a few moments before telling the mayor. Giving the tokens one last look, his mind was he made up his mind. [ ]

He’d kill to spend the night in a properly-heated room again. Besides, if the tin can of dried fish came where he suspected it did, slugcat cuisine ought to be delicious. He'd have to be careful what he ate, of course; he doubt they would know about allergies…

And then you get fed the slugcat equivalent of poi and spend your entire meal struggling to keep your lunch down. Since yeah, that’s very presumptuous from liking one dish from a cuisine.

Though I think it probably makes sense to explicitly state what David makes up his mind to do. e.x. is it to tell the others about the slugcats? Something different?

He looked up at the sky through the window – the rare instances where the flood-rains stopped to let the sun shine.

It was definitely going to be a good day after all.

And then the slugcats discovered that these two robbed one of their houses and cue the hail of spears like an hour later. ^^;

Though I suppose that it’s time for the recap of things here. I take it that this oneshot was basically a pilot to transient shelter from the storm given that it was posted a few days before it, and for the most part it works as an initial introduction of the premise to that story. Like the choice of having the slugcats be introduced through two humans actually works quite well for readers who aren’t terribly familiar with the Rain World half of this crossover since we get to learn about these strange new beings along with them.

As for criticisms, your prose was riddled with little typos and tense errors throughout that would probably be smoothed out with an aloud reading of the one-shot. I also thought that there were a couple parts where more description would be warranted, especially for getting into the heads of the characters as they encountered the slugcats since you’d think that there’d be more of a “weirdness” reaction from Adam and David’s part to these beings that they’ve never seen before that obviously aren’t human and yet are mutually intelligible with them, which felt quite a bit more muted than I was expecting. There were also a couple parts where I wasn’t sure if the full logic the characters were using were coming through, such as the part where David’s waffling over whether or not to tell his peers about the slugcats without it really being explained what the pros and cons of doing so or not would be.

Though altogether, I thought that it was a nice companion piece / pilot to transient shelter from the storm. Like there’s obviously a few rough edges, but it does what it sets out to pretty well for establishing an initial encounter. Hope the feedback was helpful for you @Extension_Driver , and I suppose that that’s a sign for me to check out the main story that this is attached to again sometime in the future.

Top Bottom