• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Nil Plateaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
South of Null Village is an ever-expansive wasteland of violet plateaus. There is very little water here, and the winds often kick up purple or red dust into the skies. Occasionally, little rocks fall from the plateaus and onto the dusty ground below with a dull thud. Much like everywhere else in the Voidlands, this place was not a place that facilitated traditional life, and there was little to gain from going here aside from a sense of solitude and, in a twisted way, peace.

<><><>

R10 - Dark Cabot & Icetales

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. weavile
  3. kommo-o
  4. noivern
  5. mothim
After leaving the village Dark Cabot found himself wandering the wastelands south of it. As dreary as the place looked, it was also very quiet, which was exactly what he needed right now. The Cranidos sat down at the foot of one of the plateaus and closed his eyes, letting out a loud sigh. For a moment he just sat there, listening to the wind and the occasional rock that fell from one of the plateaus down onto the ground. At least, it was peaceful here.

In his mind, there was a lot to unpack. There was first off all, the fact that he died. Regardless of whether or not the rest of the team had succeeded in taking down Joule, he still felt like he had failed. He was one of the strongest members on the team and one of the few (if not the only) with a military background, yet he ended up helplessly flailing in the air while getting sucked into his death. While he was frustrated with himself for not doing better, the whole situation also felt... humiliating.

Then there was of course Pleo. Even if the Shade technically wasn’t the real Pleo, after all the weeks they'd spend together it was safe to say that he'd become just as close of a friend to him. How was Pleo doing right now? Did he know yet that he and the others would be revived? Either way, it wouldn't change the fact that Pleo watched him die and for some time genuinely believed that he was gone for good. The idea that today's events could traumatize Pleo and break his otherwise cheery spirit was... frightening. He just wished he could hug Pleo and tell him that everything would be alright.

And then finally there was his current situation here, right in the multiverse's most overglorified waiting room. Split in two and unable to return home... At least he hadn't been planning on doing the latter, as tempting as it would be. Having the option to always go back whenever he wanted had been comforting though, so losing that possibility so suddenly had been aggravating to say the least. As for the former, it was a bizarre experience for sure. Given the appearance of his counterpart, did that mean that he was darkness while his other half was light? It was whatever he supposed. This adventure had proven that darkness wasn't the same as evil, so being darkness didn't seem all that bad to him. He'd been stronger and braver when shadowed, and on a few occasions, even been able to think more sharply. If anything he ought to be proud of it. If you want to look out for others you first have to look out for yourself after all.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
One moment there was still light, and the next moment Icetales fell into the darkness.

His entire body tingled as he felt his spirit being sucked out of his body and funneled into the pits of the void.

Darkness. So much like home. So much like… Chaos.

When he was still just a small quarter-Vulpix, quarter-Nickit and half-Daemon pup, who was trying to survive a cold and empty world with only Fifth as his source of comfort.

When he was dragged crying, kicking and screaming into another dimension by his heartless father, who wanted him for some ‘ritual’, apparently.

When he was left lying in a dark prison, his body and mind broken, forced to watch the world around him twist with each negative thought and nightmare. No stability. Just… chaos.

When he was a poor defenseless adolescent pup running for his life, looking for a way out of that hell. He didn’t know what he did to break those soul-trapping chains and to escape his imprisonment after those years, but… he wasn’t free yet.

Otherworldly beasts ruled Chaos, ready to sink their fangs into such a fragile and young life, staring at him with hunger and malice. The world itself was hostile and ravenous, and tried countless times to wrap its tendrils and matters around him. To swallow his essence and make him another wandering soul, condemned for all eternity to being more darkness into the other worlds.

Chaos.

Home.

How much he didn’t miss that.

And yet, there he was.

In another Chaos.

In another ‘home’.

After what seemed an eternity, Icetales felt something akin to electricity coursing through his spirit and bending his darkness to give him something akin to a body. He shuddered and gnashed his fangs, while thinking again to what Diyem told him before venturing inside of him.

Clear your thoughts. Deep breath. Balance out the darkness.

And then, Icetales opened his eyes.

Gusts blew across that place, kicking up red dust and dirtying his black pelt. That hollowness and desolation made him feel small and vulnerable, almost… as if he was a tiny Vulpix once more.

“Bejirah…”

The Ninetales winced and stood up, before shaking off the red dust. Some red grains were stuck into the fur of that new body, almost making him look like…

“A true cosmic Daemon…”

He looked up at the sky. A dark, swirling void. Of course… He shouldn’t have expected anything less.

“Ah. What a most marvelous sight mine eyes are beholding…”

Horror clawed at Icetales’s mind as he turned toward the source. That black vulpine body with those red wisps coating his tails, making him look like a malevolent noxious cloud. And then, the entity turned around.

Father.

“Pray tell, foolish lad. How does death taste like?”

Icetales glared at Magnificent, his fur standing on end.

“Rotten. Just like thee.”

Magnificent tilted his head, a manic smirk spread on his muzzle. “Such a tasty flavor. Alas, I have good news for thee. Thou art not dead… yet. Death has a more intriguing and unforgettable taste. But worry not, thou shall get the pleasure to savor it soon.”

“Thou wish, Father!”
snarled Icetales, baring his dark fangs. “But I shall not give thee this pleasure. Not now, nor ever.”

At hearing that, Magnificent’s smirk waned slightly.

“What a predictable answer.”

Then, the Shadow turned around to look at the plateau surrounding them. “Thy patron has such a good eye for chaos.” He waved his paw toward the rocks, his red eyes glowing with glee. “This sense of hopelessness and solitude! This inebriant miasma pouring into our nostrils and pores! This… silence! Ah. Silence is not meant to be gold. It’s meant to be black!”

Icetales growled. “Of course thou hast to appreciate this environment. Dark Matter and Chaos are not so different.” He shook his head. “But that is not relevant. I must find my comrades and judge their situation by myself.”

Magnificent turned back to his host and flashed a faux sad expression. “Why? This is such a lovely place to be. An exquisite place to have their minds and spirits torn and shattered. Why must thou ruin everything?” He chuckled darkly. “What are seven missing souls? Nothing. Their lives are worthless, just like thee. Thou should just join them and never go back to that… ha, bright world. It is not fitting for a Daemon, anyway.”

“I am not a Daemon and I do not belong here! Neither do my comrades!”
snarled Icetales, his eyes glowing blue and his entire body flaring up with a black aura. He gasped and took a few deep breaths, managing to cram the shadows back inside himself. “Whatever, I should not listen to thee, anyway. Thou art only trying to make me feel miserable.”

“Fuh huh huh! This is my job, after all.”

Icetales grumbled in annoyance. Even if he had understood he wasn’t his real father and a mere figment of his mind, that Shadow was just as hard to deal with as the real deal. And yet, in that moment, the Ninetales wondered if his father’s presence could be actually beneficial in that dark world.

“…Still, even though I hate to admit that, I feel like I might need thy help.”

Magnificent frowned. “My… help? And why would I want to help thee?”

“First of all, thou art a side of me and cannot exist without yours truly. If I were to vanish, so would thee. And, as much as I despise to admit it, thou art more attuned to Chaos and are much more comfortable in this place. I… need thee as my guide…”

Magnificent narrowed his eyes and looked down at his host. His red mist swirled, making it clear that he wasn’t keen to offer his assistance to Icetales. However, there was something else that could persuade him.

“Thou art interested in this world. I want to look for my comrades to instill them hope. Those goals do not have to be mutually exclusive. We could travel through this hell together.”

Magnificent perked up at this, then his smirk returned. “Such a tantalizing proposal. Also, I would get to see thy determination crumple as thy hope will be assassinated by this hopeless void, which is something I do not desire to miss.” His grin widened when the other Ninetales shot another hateful look. “Very well. I shall guide thee, and thou art going to regret it. Immensely.”

With this said, Magnificent strode down a dark path, and Icetales followed him with heavy steps and a heavy heart.

Never before had he felt so alone.

Last edited:

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. weavile
  3. kommo-o
  4. noivern
  5. mothim
As Dark Cabot sat there and continued to listen to the wind, he began to vaguely hear voices in the distance. Perhaps some of his teammates decided to go look for him? ... Or maybe some of the local residents decided to show themselves.

He opened his eyes and looked around when he noticed two figures further away. At first he couldn't see what sort of Pokémon they were, but when he squinted his eyes he noticed they were both... Ninetales?

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Magnificent was far ahead, marveling at the impressive display of twisted matter. Ah, he felt right in his element — raw and beautiful darkness! Icetales, however, wasn’t as enthusiastic. He eyed carefully their surroundings, jumping with every single nearby noise and waiting for ambushes that didn’t come. Diyem mentioned Void Shadows, and the fox-in-flesh wasn’t eager to make their acquaintance.

Then, Magnificent froze, his misty tails flailing. “Oh no.”

Icetales immediately tensed up — what did Father see that unnerved him so much?

“What is the matter?” asked Icetales, wrapping his tails around his body. “Is there some Void Shadow, or…?”

“No. It is something much, MUCH worse…”
grumbled the phantom Ninetales, growling at whatever was ahead of him. “That thick-skulled whelp is there!”

Icetales tilted his head. Thick-skulled…?

Then, his eyes brightened up. “Sir Cabot?!”

“Yes, I believe that was his name,”
hissed Magnificent, glaring at the Cranidos. “That filthy commoner that dared shred my beautiful persona! The nerve!”

Icetales sighed in relief. Finally, a friendly face! Ignoring his Shadow’s remarks, he sprinted beside him, and his tails wagged with comfort.

“Sir Cabot! Oh, by the heavens! I am so glad to see thee!” yelled Icetales, before running toward his friend. Once he was in front of the Cranidos, he checked him very carefully. Something was… off about him. “It is me, Icetales! How art thou feeling?”

From a distance, Magnificent glared at the two, then rolled his eyes. “By the forces of Chaos! Can thou not get a hold of thyself, foolish lad?”

Last edited:

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
“No, he did not. As soon as you, well, lost your physical bodies, Miss Maple managed to calm him down,” explained Icetales. “I reached this place in another way. I was… worried sick about you all, and I needed to assess the situation.”

Magnificent approached, casting an unimpressed glance at his host. “In other words, this lad was blinded by his… ugh, ‘bleeding heart’ and begged Diyem to find a way to connect with you pathetic fools. Hence now his spirit is roaming in this forsaken, albeit delightful, place.”

“It did not go like this and thou know that!”
growled Icetales, glaring at his Shadow.

“No, but it could have been better. Like, thy patron could have assassinated thee for real.” Magnificent smirked. “This place is so much more interesting than that horrible, light-filled Cibus.”

Icetales turned to Cabot, frowning at him. “Dost not mind him. My real father was born from darkness and chaos, and ‘Father’ here loves darkness as a result.” He sighed. “I… kind of do as well, as much as I hate to admit it. But not to the point of wanting to stay here, in this twisted dimension.

“And this is why I chose to come. I wanted to check on you all and see if you were still sound of mind, as well as bring you some comfort. We are looking for a way to save you. We just… need some time.”

Last edited:

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. weavile
  3. kommo-o
  4. noivern
  5. mothim
"Hrm, I see."

A small, relieved smile formed on Dark Cabot's face as Icetales finished his explanation. If everyone was looking for a way to save them, it meant they expected them to come back. And if they all did, Pleo would logically be among them, meaning he at least knew the Lugia wasn't spending his time worrying about never seeing him again.

"That's good to hear then," he said. "I appreciate you being here, Icetales. I know you guys will find a way to bring us back."

The Cranidos shook his head.

"You can tell the others that we're doing fine. Aside from the boredom of having to sit around and wait for Diyem to revive us, this place honestly isn't that bad... Even if my being literally got split into two."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
“Ah, how reassuring! Then I shall refer—” Icetales blinked and tilted his head. “Pardon me. Thou split… into two?”

Magnificent cackled. “How amusing. And pray tell, did thy brain cells split into two as well?”

Black fumes seeped from Icetales’s mane and he slowly turned toward his Shadow. The latter glanced quizzically at him, before a deafening Roar blew him at a fair distance from Icetales and Cabot.

“He is going to be furious with me, but golly! Wasn’t that cathartic!” chirped Icetales with a devious chuckle, before looking again at his friend. “Um, were we saying…? Ah, yes. Split into two, right. How did that happen? Did thy… inner darkness manifest as an entity, or something else?”

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. weavile
  3. kommo-o
  4. noivern
  5. mothim
Cabot looked on bemusedly as Magnificent got sent flying, before turning back to Icetales.

"... Sort of," the Cranidos replied. "Diyem mentioned that the Void Lands draw out people's darkness in unexpected ways. It seems that for most this means their shadow will manifest on its own and have a much more solid appearance, just like in your case. When Diyem gave us a form however, I found out that I somehow got split into two. One half darkness, one half light."

He shot Icetales a wry smile.

"Can you guess which half I am?"

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales gazed intently at the Cranidos in front of him, his black tails swishing. The dark setting around them, those dark scales, the dark tone… they were very familiar.

“Thou art… darkness,” answered the Ninetales, his ears flicking in recognition. “It is the same form… that thou took back then, when we were practicing our—”

“When thou fool had to shatter my beautiful form, of course!”

Icetales groaned and glanced at his Shadow returning: he was covered entirely in red dust, which blended perfectly with his phantom mist. Glowing eyes were trained on the real Ninetales, while the latter quirked an imaginary eyebrow.

“Speak, thou foolish lad! Why art thou staring at yours truly like a confused Slowpoke?”

“…That is an improvement,”
remarked Icetales while staring at the dusty phantom pelt, not bothering to elaborate.

Magnificent glared at his host and shook off the dust, scattering it on both Icetales and Cabot. He chuckled maliciously as the fox-in-flesh sneezed.

“How accurate. That is an improvement, indeed. Now you both can blend in perfectly with the panorama… as worthless and unimportant props, just like the rocks surrounding us.”

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. weavile
  3. kommo-o
  4. noivern
  5. mothim
Cabot shielded himself with his arm, only to get covered in red dust anyway. He looked down at his scales in annoyance, before turning towards Magnificent, his piercing yellow eyes boring into him. The Cranidos stared at him silently for a moment, when his expression suddenly eased a bit and he walked up to Magnificent.

"You really like this world, don't you?" Cabot asked, giving him a small smile. "You get to be a real boy here after all, instead of just a voice in someone's head."

He then curled his mouth down into a frown and flashed his teeth.

"Now go play somewhere else until we're done, unless you want to find out what dying in this world is like," he snarled. "The adults are talking."

Cabot's tail took on a metallic sheen, and with one swift motion, slammed it into Magnificent, sending the phantom Ninetales pinwheeling through the air.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales stood there, stunned by what just happened. A second before Cabot was glaring at Magnificent, and the next second the Shadow was struck by an Iron Tail. Hollering, flailing, and then falling with a loud thump. Magnificent didn’t move for a while, but the fox-in-flesh knew Father: he was internally seething… and that was splendid!

The Ninetales chortled, then he fell into a fit of uncontrollable laughter. Some of his darkness receded deeper inside, repelled by the sheer amusement. Golly, how much satisfying that was!

“I-I see thou did not l-lose thy strength, Sir Cabot,” commented Icetales between his chuckles. Then, he beamed a slightly smaller smile. “And that will be most useful in this environment — fetching supplies will be challenging here, so you all must be ready to face all kinds of potential threats and obstacles. Our comrades… will need thy prowess and experience.”

Icetales hummed in thought, a knowing look on his face.

“Although thou art feeling mentally stable at the moment, thou have to remember that these are the Voidlands.” His expression became serious. “Their influence is strong. I can feel their intense cognition-affecting miasma flowing through every fiber of this body, and… that is concerning, frightening even. Always remember to keep thy Shadows in check — if they were to infect thy cognition…”

Icetales paused and looked away. There was that sensation in the back of his mind. Something… he had buried years ago. But what was that? His tails flicked in annoyance, unable to dig out that memory.

“…Just beware. Mental fortitude is just as important here.”

There was shuffling, and by glancing sideways Icetales noticed his Shadow walking past them, an indignant scowl on his face. He glared at the two, while his misty tails burned with rage.

“Quit thy chatter, lad! Dost thou not have other ‘friends’ that thou must meet?”

Icetales frowned. That was true. He had to check on the others and his time was limited. Who knew when Diyem would have fetched him? He had to make good use of the little time he had there.

“Right.” The black Ninetales turned to Cabot. “Pray tell, where are the others? Also, is there some message thou want me to bring to someone in the… other world?”

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. weavile
  3. kommo-o
  4. noivern
  5. mothim
"Hm, I appreciate your concern, but I'm sure I'll be fine," Cabot insisted. "As for the others, they're holding up in an abandoned village north of here... or what I presume to be north at least."

He sighed and shook his head. "I guess I can lead you to it... it's about time I head back anyway."

The two of them began to set off towards Null Village, Magnificent trailing behind them. As they made their way over to the village, Cabot turned his head back towards Icetales.

"As for your question earlier... could you tell Pleo that I'm alright?" the Cranidos asked. "Tell him that aside from missing him, boredom is the worst thing about this place and that I'll be with him again before he knows it."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales was still somewhat worried about that, but he also knew that Cabot was one of the most upbeat members of the cortège. If there was someone who could repel the darkness with some bright optimism, it was him. Oh, and Owen, too, most likely.

“…Very well. That reassures me immensely,” he said, beaming a bright smile. Or, well, as bright as dark fangs could be. “And duly noted. I shall reach out for thy friend and let him know. Poor child must be so worried…” He showed a more reassuring grin. “I shall take good care of him in thy absence. I promise.”

As they continued their journey, Icetales and Cabot kept talking a little, making a desolate and quiet environment feel less desolate and more vibrant, while Magnificent followed them reluctantly and glanced with interest at his surroundings.

But for a split second, the mist of the Shadow’s tails took a blue shade…

<><><><>​

R10 - Heroes [Vix & Nip]

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
The further from everyone else Vix went, the better she told herself she felt. They didn't need her during that fight, so why would they want her? And if they didn't want her, why would she want to be with them? They could keep their mushy group hugs to themselves for all Vix cared. Being alone was easier for Vix to pull off than all that other bullshit anyway.

Vix silently floated in the middle of the vast, empty, purple fields. Nobody else was around. Nobody to tell her off for doing her fucking job. Nobody to try and protect her when she didn't fucking ask for it. Nobody to rub in her failed attempt at helping her... teammate. And Nobody to ignore her...

Just Vix.

"What do you think runnin' is gonna do for you?"

Oh, right... that was still here. That shapeless, annoying, persistent asshole that followed her everywhere. "Get the fuck out of here..."

"I can't, you won't fuckin' let me."

Vix glared back at her Shadow, darkness briefly crackling around her. "I want nothing else but for you to leave me alone, so don't start with any of that bullshit!" she yelled. "Go find someone else to bother you piece of shit!"

It glared back with those bright, yellow eyes. Despite their glare, the Shadow's eyes looked... emotionless. "Do you think I wanna spend my time runnin' behind some whiny, self-centered brat havin' a hissy fit?"

"Then leave! Nobody's fucking forcing you to stay!" Vix snarled, firing a Night Daze at her Shadow. The attack went right through its body, exploding on the ground just behind it. "Just do what I say for once and leave me alone!"

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Nip had returned briefly to Null village. But restlessness urged him to leave again. Now he found himself back in the wilderness, his shadow following close behind.

He didn't care much for these wide open spaces, but there also seemed to be little traditional danger here. Pheraps he would have time to work out his turmoiled thoughts.

"We're not alone."

... Ooor perhaps not.

He caught the sound of voices on the wind and followed them, and finally caught sight of Vix, as well as a formless blob that was probably her shadow. For a moment, he considered turning away. After all, his recent interaction with Vix hadn't gone so great. But curiosity kept him in place.

"Vix?" He called out.

His shadow moved to hide behind him. "You're going to regret this..."

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
"Vix?" He called out.

There was someone else here? Really? Was she just no longer allowed to be alone anymore? At first everyone fucking ignored her, and now everyone wants to check up on her?! "Yeah, what is it?" Vix snapped her head towards whoever it was. It was Nip, apparently. The one who ran for help.

"Yeah, it's her, the same aggressive mess you saw earlier. As you can see, she's improvin' real fuckin' well," her Shadow said, its eyes moving to face Nip. "The hell're you two doin' out here?"

"Don't be rude, dick," Vix growled at her Shadow. The shapeless mass of darkness didn't even bother saying anything back, writhing in irritation instead. "So, did something go wrong somewhere else or what?" Vix asked, looking over to Nip.

"Yes, because you're only wanted when shit hits the fan..."

Last edited:

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
"Yeah, what is it?"
Nip flinched, shrinking back for just a second before catching himself. He straightened back up, then shook his head. "Oh, nothings wrong as far as I know. I just was coming out here for some solitude. I guess I wasn't the only one with that idea." He smiled weakly, hoping to hide his unease.

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
"Yeah... I guess." It felt pretty obvious that Nip wasn't all that comfortable, for whatever fucking reason. Maybe something really was fucked, and Vix herself could actually fix it this time and feel useful for once. "If nothing's wrong then why do you look like you're being held hostage? I can't solve a problem if I don't know what the hell it is."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom