• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Nameless (2022 Contest One-shot)

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
N a m e l e s s

CW: This fic contains depictions of death, injury, and mental/emotional decay.

The first thing she knows is damp and darkness.

She cannot see, cannot hear, can only feel. As she crawls from her hatched shell, there is only one thought, one instinct in her mind: forward.

So she eats. She chews through soil, layer after layer, pushing her way upwards. She does not know where she is going, only that it is forward, forward, she must move forward. She must eat her way through the suffocating cocoon that surrounds her.

She has no sense of time, but her body tells her of its passage from the way that it begins to ache, to tire, to slow. Her limbs quiver, her lungs grow weary, she yearns for rest. But she must push onwards, she must, or she will never break out of the soil. To stop is to give in to the dark and lonely damp, to rest is to admit defeat and succumb to death.

She will not give in. She will not succumb. She will not lose.

The soil grows softer, lighter. She can smell more than just endless dirt, rocks, and roots. She is close, close, so close. Her body trembles with every movement, screams for relief, for rest, but she is almost there, she can taste it in the changing soil—

Light.

The world is bright. Painfully so. She breaks the surface at last, and the sounds, the smells, the very air…it all feels hostile, attacking her scales and all of her senses, leaving her raw, exhausted, agitated…but triumphant.

She looks up, into the eyes of the one who was waiting for her at the surface: her mother. She knows this the same way that she knew to eat her way through the soil. It is in her bones, in her nature, in who she was before she even hatched.

With the last of her strength, she raises her head and nuzzles against her mother’s face. Her mother croons lovingly, gathers her into strong arms as she falls asleep.

She is Larvitar, and she has passed her first test.

Instinct urges her from deep within. It rattles in her bones, quivers in her scales, whispers in her ears. She must grow stronger. She must prove herself time and time again.

And so she does.

She hardens her scales against boulders and tests her jaws on the thickest of tree trunks. She learns what little she can from her mother until, not long after hatching, her mother sends her into the world alone to prove her strength. She will not see her mother again unless it is to battle for territory.

She accepts this, for it is the way things are. Just as the trees grow towards the sky and the flowers awaken in spring, so shall she survive on her own, as it was always meant to be.

She flourishes in her small corner of territory, makes herself known to the Pokémon that occupy it. She accepts every challenge and defeats every foe…until she doesn’t.

The Poliwhirl she faces down is strong—too strong, she realizes. But there is no turning back, no escape. In her quest to expand her territory, she has invaded his. She will not be let off lightly.

Her opponent’s punch hurls her into a nearby tree with enough force to splinter the bark apart. Her teeth rattle and the trunk quivers under her small body before she drops to the earth, utterly spent.

She manages to open one eye to see her opponent looming over her. His silhouette is large enough to block out the sun…or perhaps she is simply too small.

It is her first taste of defeat, and it is a bitter one.

And so she trains, and trains, and trains some more. She doesn’t wait for her body to stop aching before she is hurling herself at bigger boulders, thicker tree trunks, other foes. She rarely allows herself to rest, to stop, because to stop would be to accept her defeat.

The sun and moon chase each other across the sky, over and over, until at long last, she is ready. She wanders into the new territory again, bellows out a challenge, and it does not take long for her rival to appear once more.

Dirt sprays out from under her feet as she propels herself forward, and then they are grappling, snarling, hurling rocks and water, shattering nearby boulders, taking chunks out of tree trunks. For just a moment, it looks like she will prevail—until the Poliwhirl lands a brutal punch directly on her chest, and suddenly she is airborne, hurtling towards a tree just as she had last time.

But this time, she is ready.

She angles herself in midair, feels her feet come into contact with the rough bark, and she absorbs the impact in her legs, ignoring the pain that laces its way up her spine. She scrunches up her body, and then, like a spring, kicks out from the trunk and curls into a ball, rolling straight for her opponent’s head.

Unable to see, she is now guided only by her smell and hearing, but her aim remains true. With a resounding crack, she crashes into the Poliwhirl’s head. She feels the way it vibrates through his skull and the way the rest of his body falls limp. She revels in the sensation, savors the hard-fought victory.

Her landing is less than graceful, but she does not care. She picks herself up from the dirt, makes her way over to her fallen opponent to gloat, but stops short when she steps on something that crackles softly under her foot.

It is an apricorn. Fully ripe, shaken loose from a nearby tree in their scuffle. She is not sure why, but she picks it up, admires it, then holds it close. It is a memento, a trophy from this battle.

Clutching her trophy in both paws, she throws her head back and bellows at the sky.

She is Larvitar, and she is a warrior.

Days blend into one another, but it is irrelevant to her. She only measures the passing of time by the rate her strength grows. As she becomes stronger, her territory expands, little by little, until trees thin out to grassier slopes, and it is here that she meets her first human. Her first trainer.

She is content to watch quietly from the grass, until the human clicks a small apricorn-like sphere at her waist, and suddenly there is light. And then there is a Pokémon, one she has never seen before: tall and green and white, with a massive leaf on its head. He looks softer, but he carries himself much like the trees do; quiet, yet dignified. Powerful.

It is a marvelous opportunity to prove her strength to an unknown Pokémon. She takes a moment to feel for her apricorn, tucked away in a pocket under her scales. It is still there, as it has always been, and it gives her strength. She bursts from the grass and roars out a challenge, startling both the girl and the Pokémon, and takes a fighting stance.

The human stares, then grins. She chatters at her, in words that she can surprisingly understand. “Wow! Larvitar, huh? I’ve never seen one of your kind before. You want to battle?”

It is strange, yet thrilling, to hear her name spoken aloud, though she is not sure why. Names were of little significance in the wild, rarely given and even more rarely used. And yet, for the first time, she realizes that she likes it. And she wants to hear it again.

She answers the human’s question with another roar. The girl signals to her companion, and he steps forward, bowing his head by way of greeting.

She does not care for greetings, only for victory. She throws herself at her foe, slams into his neck before biting down hard, and the battle begins.

It is a thrilling fight, the most challenging one she has had in a long time, and yet it is all too short. Her opponent, though not nimble, is strong. Resolute. He barely flinches at her attacks before slicing at her with his leaves, hurling her about with his vines and muscling his way through her rocks and dirt by sheer force. Before long, she is exhausted, and a final blow sends her rolling through the grass. She tries to stand—once, twice, three times, and fails each time.

She hears the girl murmur something, movement in the corner of her blurry vision. Soon, the girl and her companion are crouching in front of her, their shadows looming over, reminiscent of a previous defeat.

But this time, there is no posturing or boasting. Instead, the human procures a strange-looking object and sprays her down with it. She flinches, unprepared for the tingling sensation, and picks herself up off the ground to growl at this human for having the audacity to humiliate her further—

“Does that feel better?” The girl’s voice is gentle. “You know, you put up a really amazing fight. Lou is three times your size and has a type advantage, but you still gave him a real challenge!”

The Pokémon called Lou bows his head and rumbles in a voice so low she almost doesn’t hear him. “You are a worthy opponent.”

She glares at him. She lost. She has not proven her worth yet, not until she wins. With a swagger in her step, she puffs out her chest and challenges him again with a bark. Now that she can fight again, the battle must resume, she must continue, she must push forward until she is victorious—

But the girl only shakes her head. “You shouldn’t push yourself, you know. That potion healed your injuries, but it won’t replace the energy you’ve spent. It’s important to rest between battles.”

What? She glances between the one called Lou and his human companion, and when neither of them show any sign of returning to battle, she snorts at them. Rest? Ridiculous. A battle is never over until she can prove herself worthy, until she conquers her opponent, until she wins.

The girl smiles. “Battling is really important to you, isn’t it?” She extends a hand. “My name is Mei. I’m a trainer, and Lou and I travel the region with our team to grow stronger. Do you want to join our team, Larvitar?”

There it is again. Her name, or the closest thing she has to it, said out loud. It is the only thing that feels almost as good as a battle, and she yearns to hear it more. Slowly, thoughtfully, she leans forward and sniffs at the girl’s hand, but it is empty. So why did she hold it out in the first place? She is not sure, so she settles for resting her chin in the human’s hand before looking into her eyes and growling in affirmation.

The girl called Mei smiles wider, and the warmth in her face is like the sun on a spring morning. Lou rumbles and bows his head again, the leaves around his neck rustling. “It will be an honor to have you as a teammate and friend,” he says.

Friend?

“That’s—wow! Ah, I’m so glad!” Mei pulls her hand away to cup her face. “I’m so excited! Welcome to the team, Larvitar!”

The name again. There is a strange feeling inside her chest that she has not felt before. She brings her paws to it, though she is not sure why, and makes a light, cheerful noise she has never heard herself make before.

The girl rummages through a pouch slung over her shoulder, then pulls out another apricorn-like ball, identical to the one Lou was summoned from.

“This is called a Pokéball. It’s like a little home, or a little den, just for you. It’s so Pokémon like you can travel with me more easily, and it keeps you safe.” She holds it out. “Once you press this button in the middle, you’ll be pulled inside and you’ll officially be a member of the team. You can jump out any time, and I’ll never force you to go inside it if you don’t want to. Okay?”

It is new and odd and, though she hates to admit it, a little frightening. But Lou called her a ‘friend’, and Mei says her name so kindly, and there will be many thrilling battles ahead. She reaches for the ball, but Mei pulls it back.

“Oh! Sorry—one more thing. If you’re going to join the team, would you like a name?”

A…name? But she already has one. It is ‘Larvitar’. It is the name of her kind. She tilts her head in confusion.

“It’s okay if you don’t want one. But I wanted to give you the option.”

Lou snorts softly, almost like a chuckle, and speaks gently. “What she means is that it will be a name unique to you. I am called ‘Lou’, but my kind is called Bayleef. I chose to have a name that is all my own, and it sets me apart from other Pokémon.”

She blinks. A…specific name. One that only belongs to her. She has never considered the idea before, and yet… the idea of being called by a name that belongs to no one else is delightful to her. It is something she never knew she wanted until this moment, and now she wants it with every fiber of her being. She thinks she might even be quivering as she nods aggressively.

Lou hums pleasantly. Mei laughs. “Okay, then, let’s give you a name! And if you don’t like it, you can say so. We can take our time finding one you like.”

No. No, she wants one now. She shakes her head and stomps her foot. Mei laughs again.

“Okay, okay, we can do it now! Um…let’s see…what do you think of…Korrva?”

Korrva. She mulls it over for a moment, takes the name and rumbles it aloud, rolling it around in her mouth as if tasting a particularly appetizing stone. She brightens. Korrva. It is strong, it is noble. It is…hers.

She rumbles the name out loud again. And again, and again, louder each time, until she is bellowing it to the sky and Lou bellows with her and Mei is laughing and cheering and suddenly, all at once, nothing in the world has felt more right.

She is Korrva, and she is no longer alone.

_______________________​

She meets her two other teammates: a Houndour called Ashka and a Quagsire called Burton. Burton says he likes to be called “Burt,” which Lou explains is a “nick” name, and she learns that you can have two names like that and decides she wants one of her own immediately. But she soon finds that she likes her full name too much, and establishes that only Mei is allowed to call her by her nick name.

It is odd at first, living with several others when she has spent most of her life in solitude, but she surprises herself with how quickly she adapts. She learns that Lou is a powerful sparring partner, but he is also soft and gentle like cool grass on a warm day. Ashka has boundless energy and is a ferocious opponent, but the Houndour is also the one who teaches her what it means to “play.” Burt is a slow battler, one who takes his time and then strikes quickly and brutally when he spots an opening. He is her toughest opponent, and she would battle him from sunrise to sunset were it not for his great love of long afternoon naps.

She learns that the world is so much bigger than she ever imagined it could be, that there is so much more beyond her corner of the forest. There are humans and many Pokémon and all kinds of food. It is exciting, if a little daunting at times, but she never regrets her choice. For the first time, she begins to learn that life has more to offer than battles…but battles, especially winning battles, will always be her favorite part of it.

Mei teaches her about battling rules, teaches her when to rest and when to push her limits, and tells her about what is called the “gym circuit” and how it works. She is told about these “gym battles,” and immediately decides she wants nothing more than to be in one. To win one. It is not long before she gets her wish.

Mei’s face is tense and pale as she informs the team of their opponent. “Korr, I know you really want in on this battle, so I’ll try to give you a turn, but you’re still pretty small. Morty’s Gengar is nasty from what I’ve heard, and I don’t want you in over your head. So just follow my lead, okay?”

It is not what she wants to hear. She scowls and huffs and grumbles, and Mei rubs the scales under her chin with a sigh. “I know. I’m sorry. I just don’t want to push you past your limit. I promise that by the time we get to the next gym, you’ll get plenty of time to shine. Okay?”

It is still not what she wants, but she will accept it for now. She agrees with a sigh and returns to her Pokéball.

The battle does not go well. She knows this the moment the light fades and she finds herself standing on the battlefield. She looks up at Mei, whose face shines with sweat and is tight with anxiety. But the girl still manages to smile at her. “Do your best, Korrva, but please don’t push yourself. Follow my lead and learn what you can from this battle.”

Nothing more is said, but the unspoken message is clear nonetheless; her teammates are nowhere in sight. She is the last thing standing between her team and defeat.

She cannot contain the excitement boiling in her veins, and she does not try to. She faces her massive, hulking ghost of an opponent and gives a roar that vibrates her own scales. She is ready.

The Gengar is evasive. Frustratingly so. They vanish just before contact is made, then reappear in a shadowy corner to cackle and mock her. They spit poison wherever they can, and despite all attempts to avoid it, she is soon hit with dripping acid. She feels it seep under her scales, feels it begin to eat away at her energy.

She begins to stumble. Her attacks start falling short or miss altogether. Mei calls her back to her side, tells her that she can forfeit and rest, but she refuses. She will push forward, onward, until she triumphs.

She digs into the earth, relying on scent and hearing to guide her. She is tired, so very tired, and she remembers a different time under a different set of soil. She did not stop then, and she will not stop now.

She locates her target, but what happens next is strange. Warmth envelops her, followed by light, and a sudden burst of power erupts from within. She shoots upwards at a speed she never knew she was capable of, slams into her unsuspecting foe, and clamps down hard on their tail. Adrenaline pulses through her, the roar of the crowd intoxicates her, and she lands blow after blow after blow—

“Korrva! Korrva, stop!”

But she does not stop. It is not her nature. She was made to fight, to conquer, to win—

A flash of light drags her back into her ball, but it does not hold her for long. She bursts back out, snarling, but Mei is in front of her now, waving her arms, eyes wide.

“Korr! Korrva, stop, the battle’s over! Stop! We won, okay?”

Won. We won. She blinks, and slowly the red haze clears from her mind. She looks up at Mei, but the girl is not smiling.

Why is Mei not smiling?

Another flash of light pulls her back into her Pokéball. It is the first time she has been recalled without her consent, and she does not know how to feel about it.

They are in a Pokémon Center the next time she comes out. She looks around for her teammates, but they are not here. It is just her. And Mei. Mei, who is smiling again, but it is a small and not very convincing one.

“Well, first things first…you evolved. How do you feel, Korr?”

She blinks. She did not…realize. And yet, now she notices how different her body feels, how she no longer has limbs and feels somewhat constricted, and yet can hop around with relative ease. She is bigger. Most importantly, she is stronger.

She bounces around on the tile, humming with pride. Mei’s smile becomes more real.

“I was surprised, too! I didn’t realize how close you were. And look at you! You’re so big now!”

Her face then falls.

“But, Korrva…we need to talk about that battle. I…you did really well, and I’m proud of you for winning. But…you went too far at the end. I’m a little worried.”

She stops her bouncing and looks at her trainer again. This is a tone she has never heard from her before.

“I—I’m not sure if you just got carried away because of your evolution, but…please. Don’t do that again, okay? Please stop when I tell you to. For your own sake and your opponent’s sake.” She lets out a breath. “Fortunately, you didn’t cause any serious injuries, and Morty was…understanding. Gengar was, too. But he was just as concerned as I am, and I don’t blame him.”

Her gaze is pleading, but also firm. “I know you love to win. Probably more than any of us, honestly. But you need to know your limits, too. You need to learn when enough is enough. Promise me you’ll work on it. Okay?”

She does not fully understand. Why did any of this matter if they won? Was that not what was most important? But she nods—or rather, rocks her whole body—and Mei smiles once again.

“Good. I trust you. We’ll work on it together, I promise! And, hey, to celebrate you evolving…” Mei trails off as she pulls something out of her pocket.

It is…an apricorn. No, not just any apricorn. Her apricorn.

She rumbles and rocks back and forth. Mei holds up a hand. “It’s okay! It fell out during the battle, but I got it, and it’s okay.” The girl lowers her hand so the apricorn can be seen more clearly. “I was thinking…if you’re okay with it…we could turn this into a Pokéball. A special one, just for you. And that way, you’ll never have to lose it. What do you think?”

A Pokéball? One just for her? It’s like a name, but a little different. It is another thing unique to her and to no one else.

She suddenly learns that she can bounce very, very high if she is excited enough. Higher than she ever could as a Larvitar. Mei bursts into laughter. “Okay, okay! I’ll take that as a yes, then! Just calm down a little before you break something, Korr.”

She does, but only after Mei promises to take them all to an apricorn workshop first thing tomorrow. Mei wraps her arms around her and hugs her tight. “I’m proud of you, Korrva. Remember that.”

Later that evening, they set up camp near the workshop. After a hearty meal and robust celebration of their victory and her evolution, she nestles between her teammates and watches the stars overhead until she gradually drops off to sleep.

She is Korrva, and she is happy.

The day it all falls apart begins like any other.

Mei insists that they “take a day off,” and it becomes clear that this means…no battles. Instead, they sprawl on the beach at a place called “Olivine”. Burt is playing in the water. Mei, Ashka and Lou are basking in the sun.

And Korrva is bored.

It is a welcome change of pace when a trainer, a boy that appears close to Mei’s age, approaches them and asks for a battle. He is an odd one, constantly shifting his weight from one foot to another and looking all around.

She wonders why. There is no one else near them, so what is there to see? She does not dwell on this long, though, because soon she is bouncing around Mei, spraying her with sand until the girl finally agrees.

Strangely, the boy only has one Pokémon—but he is a Pokémon like none other. He is massive, much bigger than any of her teammates, and he looks similar to Lou except he has brown hide and large leafy wings across his back. He emerges from his Pokéball already in a fighting stance. A formidable opponent.

But above all, he is angry.

She has never seen a Pokémon move like this one does. He is ferocious, lashing out with almost predatory force. He has no restraint, brutally taking out Burt, then Lou, then even Ashka in only a few hits apiece, and yet he shows no pride in his victories. His eyes are burning with a savage hunger that she does not fully understand.

Mei is frowning, but holds her stance. “That’s a…really tough Tropius you have there. Where’d you find him? Are you from Hoenn?”

The boy meets Mei’s eyes and his lips curl in a snarl. There is no sign of the nervousnesses he displayed before. “None of your business.”

“There’s no need to be rude, I was just asking a question—”

“Send out that Pupitar.”

“Excuse me? Don’t tell me what to—”

But the answer is clear. With her teammates no longer able, she is their last resort. She shoots forward, spraying sand behind her, ignoring Mei’s cry of dismay as she rams into her opponent. She is ready. More than ready. This is a foe with a true fighting spirit, and she is not about to lose.

Except she does.

The hit lands before she can even see it coming, vines crushing her side with a resounding crunch. She feels her shell crack, feels white-hot pain that makes her vision flicker, distantly hears Mei scream. She tries to get up, but is met with a blow to her other side, just as vicious as the first, and then another across her front.

“I saw this Pupitar in that Ecruteak gym.” The boy’s voice is close. She realizes he is standing over her. “I knew then that it was something special. You’re not fit to have it, anyway.”

She tries to move, to get up, to keep fighting, but can only manage to roll onto her other side. Pain is making everything fuzzy, but she thinks she can see a blur of green standing over her trainer, wrapping her up in vines. She hears Mei scream again, and this time she can make out the words.

“No, no, please! Korrva! Korrva!”

It is the last thing she hears before a beam of white light engulfs her and drags her into black.

She cannot be sure how much time has passed when she comes to her senses. All she knows is pain. And more pain. And…white.

The entire room is white. It is painful to look at. But even more painful is the blindingly bright light directly above her. She tries to move and finds she cannot. She is bound tightly to a metal table with several massive chains.

“Careful, I hear this one’s a fighter.”

“That won’t be a problem.”

Voices. There are voices. Blurry silhouettes just outside the rim of light. One steps forward and into her view. He is also dressed in white, in a long coat, but there is some color, too. Speckles of red across his front.

He raises his hand, holding an odd, sharp-looking object that is filled with foul-smelling fluid. He looks down at her, and there is nothing, nothing at all, in his face or his cold, empty eyes.

“Let us begin.”

She is Korrva, and for the first time in her life, she is afraid.

Pain becomes her closest friend.

There is no way to know the passage of time within the white walls. Sometimes, she awakens to find herself in a very, very tiny room, one that is barely large enough to hold her. She cannot move freely in this tiny room, and there is only one window in an upper corner. For all her efforts, she cannot get into a position to look out of the window.

She misses her ball. She misses her Mei. She misses her teammates, Lou’s gentle humming and Ashka’s cheerful yips and Burt’s steady presence. Above all, she misses the days she wasn’t in pain.

After a while, she notices a cycle. Strapped to a table, poked and prodded and sometimes even cut open, by different white-coated humans who all ignore her roars and shrieks and screams, only letting up once she loses consciousness. Awakening in her tiny room, bandaged and bleeding, unable to move and sometimes barely able to breathe, until the pain begins to ebb and her strength starts to return. Then she is sucked into a Pokéball that is not her own, sent out and immediately immobilized, and strapped to a table once more. The cycle repeats.

It continues, over and over, until, finally, she manages to fight back: as a woman carelessly tears off a chunk of her shell, she musters the strength to launch the shard as if it is a stone, lodging it straight into the human’s throat.

The spurt of red that follows is accompanied by frantic screams. It creates a twisted sense of triumph within her, one that festers and grows as she watches the woman slump to the floor and the life ebb from her eyes.

For once, she is not the one screaming. She is not the one bleeding. For once, she has won.

It is not a formal battle, but the victory feels the same. She clings to this burning sense of pride, holds it close even as another human plunges a knife into her exposed shell in retaliation.

She has won, and she will do so again. And again. And again. She will not give in. She will not succumb. She will not break.

She is Korrva, and she will not lose.
______________________​

The cycle changes after that.

She emerges from the Pokéball and blinks under the bright overhead lights. But this time, there is no Pokémon waiting to stun her into helplessness. There is no table. And the room is much, much bigger.

She does not have long to be confused. A door opens on the opposite side of the room, and yet another white-clothed human is there. He pulls out a Pokéball and summons…a Spinarak.

The human who holds her Pokéball is standing behind her. She only says one word: “Fight.”

It is the first time anyone has spoken to her. She wonders what this means. A battle? But the woman is not giving any other commands. She hesitates, and it is her first mistake.

A jolt of agonizing electricity laces through her skull. She bellows, enraged, and thrashes on the floor. The woman speaks again.

“I said, fight.”

Pain fuels her fury. She rockets across the room and rams the trembling, unprepared Spinarak. He is hurled into the wall, then flops to the floor, unconscious.

There. Her job is done. She turns back to the woman, but nobody moves. The woman speaks again.

“Finish it.”

She tilts to one side. Finish it? But it is already finished. The battle is won. She is not supposed to attack an opponent once they are defeated. She does not underst—

Another bolt of white agony sears her vision. She screams again, this time tearing up the floor as she writhes.

“It is still breathing. Finish. The fight.”

Now she understands.

She picks herself up and turns back to the fallen Pokémon. She can tell just by looking at him that he is small and weak. He would never have been a fair match for her.

For just a moment, she sees Mei’s face after the gym battle. Mei would be very upset at what she is about to do. But Mei is not here, and any other option means she must lose.

She makes it quick. She takes a sizable chunk that she’d ripped out of the floor and drops it on the little bug. He never feels a thing.

The woman’s face remains unchanged, but her tone warms ever so slightly. “Well done.”

Then the ball sucks her back in, and she is left to wonder why this is considered a victory.

A new cycle begins. She does not see the table again, nor does she go back to the tiny room save for meals. All her time is now either spent inside the ball, or out in the big room. Fighting.

Her opponents gradually grow bigger and stronger, each one slightly more capable than the last, but they are still no match for her. And every time, she is only awarded victory after “finishing” each battle. She tries to make it quick each time, as painless as possible, but sometimes they still manage to scream or give her one last terrified look before the final blow.

She does not know what to feel. Sometimes she thinks of Mei, of her teammates, and a cold heaviness weighs over her. But Mei’s face gradually begins to fade, replaced by more recent, more vivid flashes of the terrified eyes of her foes. They haunt her. They needle away at her.

And she begins to resent them for it.

It is not her fault they are so weak. If they wanted so badly to survive, then they should scrape and claw and fight, wear themselves down to the bone to do so. Just like she once did, as a weak and small Larvitar. Just like she does now, as an angry and defiant Pupitar. She survived then, all alone, and she will continue to do so.

She is Korrva, and she will triumph. She will. She will. She will.

Eventually, the fights become a challenge.

She relishes in her first hard-fought victory, bellows over the mangled corpse of the Rhyhorn, her first foe to give her a good fight. The last look in its eyes was not one of fear, but of anger. She is not sure why, but this fuels her own rage even further.

Its defeat will not be in vain. She will win the next battle, and the next, and the next. She will respect and honor their efforts while punishing any weakness she sees. Whether it is out of mercy, or resentment, or a sense of duty, she cannot be sure. Perhaps it is a mixture of all three.

And so she fights, each hit harder than the last, each battle more vicious, each death less merciful. This is what she was made for. She was made to fight, to conquer, to win, and to never stop until victory was hers.

And then she evolves.

For a moment, she thinks to herself that it is nice to have limbs again. Then she pauses. Does she even remember the last time she had limbs? It is all so far away now, so distant, as if from a previous life. One thought bleeds into another and suddenly there are blurred faces, muffled voices that she thinks she should remember, but they are no longer clear. There is…a girl. And a team. Was it her team? Was it her family?

This momentary distraction gives her enemy an opening. The Blastoise fires a Hydro Pump that dents her chest plate and cracks her ribs.

Rage and pain combine into a red haze and drive all other thoughts from her mind. With a shrieking scream mingled with a roar, she drives her fist into the side of the other Pokemon’s head and shatters its skull. She glories in the way its body goes limp and falls to the floor, and she stomps all over the shell until it cracks into pieces for good measure—

Something rolls out from under the lip of the shell. She pauses, picks it up. Stares at it.

It is…an apricorn.

She doesn’t know how she knows this. Or why her enemy had one. Or why it is making her feel so strange. Suddenly, she realizes she doesn’t know anything.

Why is she here? Why is she fighting? Why…

Slowly, unconsciously, she curls her claws over the apricorn and crushes it, and with it, her feelings subside.

There is one thing she knows. She is…Korrva. Yes. That is all that matters.

She savors her new strength with vigor.

It is easier than ever to break her opponents now. Limbs are snapped like flimsy tree branches. Scales are splintered like dry bark. Skin is shredded like soggy leaves.

And yet, she is unsatisfied. She wants more, more, more, and yet it is never enough. She rages after every fight is finished, demands them to bring her more, but eventually they always stop. Sometimes the humans are able to recall her before she crushes them to dust. Sometimes they are not quick enough.

She has not felt the electric shocks for some time now. She learned quickly, even while she was still a Pupitar, that the humans control the shocks through a small remote in their hands. She could not remove the device they had implanted in her head, but she could certainly remove the remotes. And the hands holding them. Once she evolved, the shocks stopped altogether.

Good. They are learning. Learning who truly holds the power.

She is the strongest. She is the greatest. She is…she is…Tyranitar.

For just a small, fleeting moment, she thinks that isn’t quite right. That she should be called something else. But the moment passes when the door opens again and out steps another human, with a Pokéball containing her next enemy.

Yes. She is destruction. Raw, unfiltered power. She is Tyranitar.

“I believe it is ready.”

“Truly? It has been quite some time. Are you certain?”

“Truly. I don’t believe I have ever seen a specimen more ready than this one. I daresay it even wants it.”

She can hear them, but it takes time for the words to register. Her brain is foggy, and everything around her feels…surreal. Far away.

With some effort, she manages to open her eyes. The room is dim, everything cast in a soft blue hue from a few colored lights. She sees machines, tubes, many things she does not understand, and…a few metal tables.

This enrages her, though she can’t remember why. And yet, despite the flare of anger that rises within, she can do more than let out a sluggish, gravelly growl.

“Ah, it’s awake, I see. Is that supposed to happen?”

The voices are a little clearer now. She is able to make out two small silhouettes—humans, standing at her feet and looking up at her. She realizes she is upright, but not standing herself; instead, it seems she is suspended by many tubes and wires. Some of them are hooked to her, perhaps even inside her—but, at the very least, she feels no pain. In fact, she feels nothing at all, and can’t move any part of her body.

“Oh, no need to worry about that. It’s heavily sedated and incapable of movement. I doubt it will stay awake for very long.”

The man who is speaking is a tall and slender one—or at least, tall for a human. His violet mane of hair frames his face, the blue lights glinting off the lenses over his eyes. She cannot see his eyes under the reflected gleam, but she can see his wide grin.

“What do you think?” he says. “I’m quite proud of it, if I do say so myself.”

The other man, much shorter and rounder than the first, looks her up and down before smiling himself. “It’s impressive. Remarkable, even. I’m eager to see the final product.”

“As am I, sir.” The taller man raises a hand and knocks on her leg. She wouldn’t know he’d touched her if she wasn’t already watching. “You hear that, SD00573? You are almost perfected. And once you are, he will become your trainer.”

His voice is smug. Mocking. Infuriating. She snarls at him, manages to curl one lip to show her fangs.

And yet, most irritating of all was that last word. Trainer. Something stirs inside of her, a feeling she cannot place. Is it anger? Disgust? …Sadness?

She can’t hold on to the thought for very long. The taller man laughs and then reaches over to a nearby wire to press a button, and almost immediately her mind clouds over once more, the room spins, and her vision darkens. “We will begin Shadowfication, then, if we have your approval, sir.”

She succumbs to nothingness before she can hear the reply, but one last thought remains in her brain: perfected.

She is Tyranitar. She is ready for perfection.

_______________________​

It is cold.

That is the first thought she has before she opens her eyes. Yet it does not make sense. To feel cold would mean she had once felt warmth. She is not sure she knows what either of those mean.

She is in the large room again. Free of restraints. The large room must mean another fight.

Fight. The word once sparked something within her. A fire. A savage pleasure. Rage. Pride. Pain. Now she feels nothing.

This does not strike her as odd or uncomfortable. It simply is. To feel uncomfortable would mean to want something different. But she wants nothing. Knows nothing, except that she is meant to destroy.

Yes. Yes. This is what it means to be perfected. This is what it means to be truly strong. Raw, filtered, precise power. Perfection.

The door slides open. Another human, another Pokéball, another enemy to destroy. She is ready.

And when the woman sends out a Bayleef, she does not hesitate to crush it.

At long last, she is finally what she has always meant to be.

She is called SD00573. She is perfection.

Last edited:

canisaries

you should've known the price of evil
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. inkay-shirlee
  2. houndoom-elliot
  3. yamask-joanna
  4. shuppet
  5. deerling-andre
Hey there! Decided to read this for Rookidee since I’m a fan of OSAS and I wanted to read at least one other contest oneshot. This review will not be very long or in-depth since my brain’s been total mush lately and it doesn’t seem to want to have thoughts.

So! This is a story with strong motifs, and I’m always a fan of that. The most obvious one are of course the names, with her species name corresponding with her nature and her identity as a being of the wilderness, Korrva as the companion of Mei and her other teammates, namelessness as her confusion and her slipping identity and finally SD00573 as the designation of a cold killing machine. There’s also the apricorn, though I didn’t really see it as innocence (she did gain it right after murking another pokemon) like you said in your interview but rather identity as a whole, which she ends up losing. As for the font changes, I like them in concept, but for me personally it ended up being a bit distracting.

I definitely agree with the judges in terms of the villain POV. The main character really doesn’t make any evil choices at any point save for going too far on the Gengar, and that could be attributed to her nature as she was genuinely confused when she was told that was wrong. This story is very engaging as a character study, but I just can’t see the character as a villain, just a tragic figure.

And it’s a hell of a tragedy, definitely! I didn’t expect you to go this hard, but it’s also true that I haven’t made it up to the point in OSAS yet where this level of violence would logically start to show. Thankfully, I get the feeling this isn’t the last we’ll see of Korrva as I do remember there being a shadow Tyranitar in-game. She better not die in OSAS I’d be so mad.

For one last little thing, I didn’t really get how Korrva carrying that apricorn worked. It’s “tucked away in a pocket under her scales”, but I’m trying to think of this apple-sized item being stashed under lizard scales and it’s got me rubbing my forehead. The unfortunate thing is that I really have no better suggestion on how to handle this, so I guess it’s just something that needs to be shrugged off.

That’s all I have! See you around.

Joshthewriter

Charizard Fan
Pronouns
He/him
Partners
  1. charizard
I figured I’d start checking out the Contest shots and here I am! On a roll today and I figured I’d read this too! It can even count as the Reddit contest review!

Larvitar is an inspired choice. I also do remember a shadow tyranitar late in Colo, so I can see where this one is heading.

I really love the opening with larvitar and a tyranitar above. I think it’s an adorable scene, one that clashes horribly with the “angry rock monster” that most people and the Pokédex itself treats the line.

Excellent work throughout the Poliwhirl section. I loved the way you showed off the POV and I loved the idea of the strength obsessed larvitar that just wouldn’t stop. Introducing a moment of sentiment with the apricorn was a great touch as well!

And onto the trainer segment! My goodness did I not expect the portrayals you did. It felt very “Pedestal” And I saw that you mentioned it as an influence in regards to pokemon interaction. I thought you did a fantastic job here and made me care deeply about Mei and her team and the fast that Korrva was a part of the team.

Then the shift towards almost horror as Korrva is stolen. Oh my goodness this section was so So good. I love the worldbuilding in here and the sneak peek into the Shadow Pokemon process. I love watching the process of Korrva losing herself in the process. It’s brutal, it’s dark and it fits Orre gorgeously. Much darker than what I’ve read of OSAS so far, but that’s not a bad thing cause it’s a hint of where we’re heading.

and then the last section. My goodness, this last segment was so heartbreaking. Korrva is gone and it’s just sad. She’s lost the pokemon she was and refers to herself by her designation. Such a sad ending (and one that I think leads into Wes probably having to fight Korrva).

So, scoring!!!!

Plot: I was clear on it. This is a fantastic fit for our contest and is exactly the kind of story I was hoping for out of it. Oh well if it was written for another contest, it fits this one perfectly.

A chilling ending and fantastic payoff of setup in a limited amount of words.

5/5

Characters: You did an amazing job very quickly with Mei and her team. I loved meeting them and seeing Korrva grow. That growth led directly into Korrva losing herself and was a delight to read.

Korrva herself having the constant motivation to get stronger and having each escalation be met with “it’s to get stronger“ just completes the perfect score here for me.

5/5

Setting: This is where I think your story suffers a bit. The setting is kind of glossed over a few times in favour of diving into the characters (which isn’t a terrible choice). I think especially the trainer section had this problem, but it wasn’t all that distracting. It was more “oh I just wish that had been expanded on slightly, or been given a slightly more detailed description” than anything else.

I do like the opening in the wild. That felt so vivid to me and had the strongest hook within the setting itself to me.

I also did like how the setting and descriptions became more bare-bones as Korrva descended to shadow, so it’s still very well done. Very clear obvious choice that works very well for this fic.

4.25/5

Prose: I adored the shifting fonts and text sizes representing Korrva’s perspective. I thought it was a brilliant choice and really worked well with what you were trying to do.

I’m not a copy editor either, but I didn’t notice any glaring grammar or technical errors. I thought this was a very pleasant read and did a great job delivering me everything I needed to know.

5/5

OVERALL SCORE 19.25/20

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Ooohhh. Really enjoyed this one. I think you did a really lovely job on the style here, keeping the narrative voice consistent and the language punchy, and it all feels really polished and well executed.

The use of the name theme and the final lines of each section is a great choice for emphasizing the progression she goes through - first just something that feels like a simple truth about what she is, then her own name that is hers and how much the thought of that energizes her, and then eventually as the Shadowfication process chips her memories and self away from her, she's just Tyranitar again and then SD00573. It hits the right emotional notes as a throughline and ties it all together (with the title I was expecting her to end up having no name at all, though!).

I think the moment that hit me hardest was the Blastoise's Apricorn, though... the way it was this little thing she liked and suddenly it tugs at repressed memories of her buried self and of course that just makes her unspeakably angry. The brutality of the fights, and that Blastoise one in particular, is well used for horror without overstaying its welcome or feeling gratuitous.

Other little gutpunch: the girl with the Bayleef coming in at the end, ooof. :sadwott:

I also just really enjoyed her character and relationship with Mei in the first half. How she's always determined to be strong and that desire then ends up twisted in on itself. How good Mei is, the way you show how considerate she is of her and how much she cares, the way Korrva's eagerness to fight to prove herself becomes a bit too much at one point and Mei tries to tackle that as best she can (and yet, Korrva doesn't quite understand what's wrong with what she did, unfortunately making her all too easy a Shadow candidate).

Also ugh the way the Pokémon's last terrified glances just make her resent them. What a heartrending tragedy. I think the slow progression of it worked really well, so gradual but progressing ever onward. (And the font changes as her name changes, ending up at the totally dead, clinical monospace, are a nice touch.)

The tiniest nitpicks: I sort of wanted to actually see Korrva's new ball, but she's snagged before we really do; I was surprised to hear Ein talk about beginning Shadowfication when it really seems like the door to her heart has gone pretty far toward being closed; and I'm not actually sure whether the end is implying that's Mei and Lou and Korrva just doesn't recognize them at all anymore, or if it's just one of the scientists with a different Bayleef (which one would also have expected to stir her somewhat, so the effect still works, but a bit differently).

But those are the pickiest of nits. Really well done, loved it a lot.

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
I remember this fic I read it pre-contest results and liked it a ton...

But then I like the xd verse so I can't really claim to be unbiased.

She is a simple critter... And we can see where she gets her drive to fight, pure survival mechanism from being born in adverse/natural terrain. There's familiar affection at the end of it, but still, it's a heck of a fight to get there, and with a start that makes quite the impact.

Love how she sees type disadvantage (for her) pokemon and is like "yeah I'm gonna lose but I'm gonna make it hurt" it speaks of a shading of brutality and practicality that works for her in the wild with her new training regimen when she goes back to try to crack heads with the 'whirl.

And so we established that Lav's a Rash type, noted... as she takes on a bayleaf perhaps? ANd so she encounters mercy for the first time.. wonder how that's going to go?

And Lou's utterance of friend and Lav's blue screen of death spells so much culture clash in the near future... so much culture clash... I feel for Mei at this point.

Kor' is sorta adjusting, but the brawl at Morty's shows she hasn't shaken her roots... and Mei's reaction shows she might not be ok in dealing with it...

Which makes her personality getting chipped away and all of Mei's progress lost to Shadowification all the more chilling. It's interesting how much like brainwashing shadowification is. The isolation, the pain, and boundary violations. Obviously, it shifts, to forced unending combat with a new "victory" parameter, but the base treatment is so reminiscent of how extremists force others to join their causes under duress...

Still, it's not much of a step back for Kor' not at first, and not too dissimilar from her wild days... Just a step further along in the brutality scale that slowly pushes further and further from pragmatic to enthusiastic...

I liked how the last battle was probably against Mei... or at least someone styled to remind Kor' of her with the bayleaf and whatnot. I suspect that encounter was the final test, if not a failed rescue attempt... actually whihc was it? Just wondering.

Anyways thanks for the fun read from one of my favorite mon games.

Venia Silente

For your ills, I prescribe a cat.
At the 0-divisor point of the Riemann AU Earth
Pronouns
Él/Su
Partners
  1. nidorino
  2. blaziken
Hey, here for the Reddit review trade thingie.

Now, this story is the one that admittedly made me rethink the terms of the contest in case it gets repeated in the future, since it usually doesn't bode well to have to pre-commit without fair knowledge to review stories that may hit triggers or are just a general cavalcade of negativity not good to have to push through without some way to neuter or counter it (so I'm so very glad that Master of Disguise was posted as another entry). This doesn't mean that the story is bad, but it's definitively not the kind of material I expect in a general-purpose contest thats otherwise explicitly intended to be for fun, nor the kind of material that I'd search for if I wanted to explore and recommend the good things Pokémon is good about (themes, moods, life lessons, etc).

The story is quite well structured in terms of flow and layout. Many of the issues that came with the negativity built it into it are tremendously eased by a very clear layout and well placed tonal indicators that mean I don't need to reskim through and try to find my place into it again if I need to take a rest from it. The even flow also meant that there was time to sit back and appreciate every scene for what it is before the story shifted gears, and this was highly relevant for the Poliwhirl scenes because this "flow formation" was the basis of Showing Don't Telling Korrva's nature and personality. It's easy to say you want to be a winner like no one ever was; it's harder to prove it by losing.

One thing that the plot and the mood do well, is to close off the avenues of escape at the right places where one's mind always goes with a "What if?". Already two scenes before Korrva is taken from her Trainer, we can see clearly there's no salvation for her to progress as a character; once the SHadowification process begins, we also know there's no salvation of any kind whatsoever for her; the mood (but not the plot) is structured to even discount the possibility that she might be recaptured and Purified, since one can easily guess that that's just not available to Everyone, Everywhere, and is just instead a path available only to Game Heroes, and even if someone managed to did that, Korrva would likely try to resist and counter it. Character-wise, the story seems to suggest that Korrva deserves what happened to her.

While I am willfully not experienced enough in this part of the fandom, I feel this story could be ideal for whose who like depersonalization, desensitivization, despair and suicidal / homicidal ideations in fiction (and clearly separate them from the ones in reality). After all, the story paints Shadowificaiton as a reward and a glorious way to go.

General scores:

Plot: 4.5/5. It's self-absorbed, unforgiving and bleak, and quite certainly leaves no openings to hope or salvation of any kind whatsoever (as I pointed above) and oh boy does it deliver on that. There's simply no brakes on this train to the singularity of pain and evilness!

Characters: 4/5. Korrva and what remains of her are well done, but her single-minded focus gets grating at points; and exploring such transformations of character as Shadowification runs into the fundamental issue of replacing a likable character with one that's "unlikable by design", and suffers from that.

Setting: 4.5/5. Many things are left nondescript even in the scenes where our Nameless still lives in the wild, but this is complemented by a strong "emotional setting" for the story that tells how the surrounding world, even if nondescript, affects the character in clearly described ways. Made the more obvious as we get to the end.

Prose: 5/5. Clear writing accompanied with a clear separation of concerns when it comes to focus and the agency of characters, strengthened with a recurring per-scene structure that firmly lets you know how far into a scene you are getting and how hard you are going to crash against the end of the scene without forcing the plot to do all the legwork.

tl;dr: A very good story on its own merits, and an object lesson in how to layout a oneshot, but not material that I'd recommend to anyone who likes Pokémon stories for the themes of goodness that Pokémon majorly explores.

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Heya, taking an intermission from my hitlist and point targets of RB4 to take care of two birds with one stone: one of my Catnip assignments, and a piece that I’ve really, really wanted to go back and finish even but just hadn’t made the time for for one reason or another after the past few months.

Whelp, now’s as good a time as any to stop kicking the can, so let’s actually review this thing:

The first thing she knows is dampness and darkness.

Alternatively “damp darkness” would’ve worked just as well, though GDocs didn’t like “damp and darkness” when I was writing this up, probably because “damp” is an adjective while “darkness” is not.

She cannot see, cannot hear, can only feel. As she crawls from her hatched shell, there is only one thought, one instinct in her mind: forward.

So she eats. She chews through soil, layer after layer, pushing her way upwards. She does not know where she is going, only that it is forward, forward, she must move forward. She must eat her way through the suffocating cocoon that surrounds her.

Live view of Korrva:

c55694183c6c163.gif

Though I find the “suffocating cocoon” comment kinda ironic since she becomes a cocoon later on in the story.

She has no sense of time, but her body tells her of its passage from the way that it begins to ache, to tire, to slow. Her limbs quiver, her lungs grow weary, she yearns for rest. But she must push onwards, she must, or she will never break out of the soil. To stop is to give in to the dark and lonely damp, to rest is to admit defeat and succumb to death.

I see that Tyranitar believe in survival of the fittest for their young and don’t opt to try and tilt the scales on their behalf post-emergence.

Ah yes, the first sign that Korrva has some personality problems.
:copyka2~1:

Though that makes me wonder how common such outlooks are among Larvitar line Pokémon in your setting.

The soil grows softer, lighter. She can smell more than just endless dirt, rocks, and roots. She is close, close, so close. Her body trembles with every movement, screams for relief, for rest, but she is almost there, she can taste it in the changing soil—

Light.

The world is bright. Painfully so. She breaks the surface at last, and the sounds, the smells, the very air…it all feels hostile, attacking her scales and all of her senses, leaving her raw, exhausted, agitated…but triumphant.

Cue the appropriate theme for this moment:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRWlbX92B3I

She looks up, into the eyes of the one who was waiting for her at the surface: her mother. She knows this the same way that she knew to eat her way through the soil. It is in her bones, in her nature, in who she was before she even hatched.

Korrva: “*I’m sorry, you just stood there while I was buried alive?*” :|
Korrva’s Mother:
giphy.gif

With the last of her strength, she raises her head and nuzzles against her mother’s face. Her mother croons lovingly, gathers her into strong arms as she falls asleep.

That now makes me morbidly curious as to what would’ve happened to Korrva had she gotten into a situation like Ash’s Larvitar where her egg was dug up prior to hatching and how badly it’d have messed with her self-esteem.

Instinct urges her from deep within. It rattles in her bones, quivers in her scales, whispers in her ears. She must grow stronger. She must prove herself time and time again.

And so she does.

Cue the mood music:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yydNF8tuVmU

Korrva: “*Oi! Turn that racket off!*” >.<

She hardens her scales against boulders and tests her jaws on the thickest of tree trunks. She learns what little she can from her mother until, not long after hatching, her mother sends her into the world alone to prove her strength. She will not see her mother again unless it is to battle for territory.

Well at least Tyrantiar mothers stick around longer than most IRL snakes, so there’s that going for them? ^^;

She accepts this, for it is the way things are. Just as the trees grow towards the sky and the flowers awaken in spring, so shall she survive on her own, as it was always meant to be.

Just how strong are Pokémon’s instinctive behaviors in your setting anyways? Like is this just something she “knows” innately, or is this something that Korrva’s mother explained to her at some time since the first scene?

She flourishes in her small corner of territory, makes herself known to the Pokémon that occupy it. She accepts every challenge and defeats every foe…until she doesn’t.

Narrator: “And then she died-”
Korrva: “*Oi! We’re barely a thousand words into this thing!*” >.<

The Poliwhirl she faces down is strong—too strong, she realizes. But there is no turning back, no escape. In her quest to expand her territory, she has invaded his. She will not be let off lightly.

I’m beginning to understand why Tyranitar are so rare if they just constantly attempt to pull invader routines from MonHun from shortly after birth. ^^;

Her opponent’s punch hurls her into a nearby tree with enough force to splinter the bark apart. Her teeth rattle and the trunk quivers under her small body before she drops to the earth, utterly spent.

She manages to open one eye to see her opponent looming over her. His silhouette is large enough to block out the sun…or perhaps she is simply too small.

Could’ve been worse. The Poliwhirl could’ve yeeted Korrva into a lake to drown-

Screen_Shot_2023-01-02_at_2.05.44_AM.png

Oh right, huh. That’s why Korrva’s not getting yeeted into a lake to drown here.

And so she trains, and trains, and trains some more. She doesn’t wait for her body to stop aching before she is hurling herself at bigger boulders, thicker tree trunks, other foes. She rarely allows herself to rest, to stop, because to stop would be to accept her defeat.

Which in nature is kinda well-advised, since ‘woe to the conquered’ is a bit of an understatement for what happens to ‘losers’ in nature. ^^;

The sun and moon chase each other across the sky, over and over, until at long last, she is ready. She wanders into the new territory again, bellows out a challenge, and it does not take long for her rival to appear once more.

Dirt sprays out from under her feet as she propels herself forward, and then they are grappling, snarling, hurling rocks and water, shattering nearby boulders, taking chunks out of tree trunks. For just a moment, it looks like she will prevail—until the Poliwhirl lands a brutal punch directly on her chest, and suddenly she is airborne, hurtling towards a tree just as she had last time.

Oh hey, there’s a reaction image for this moment:

487.jpg

But this time, she is ready.

She angles herself in midair, feels her feet come into contact with the rough bark, and she absorbs the impact in her legs, ignoring the pain that laces its way up her spine. She scrunches up her body, and then, like a spring, kicks out from the trunk and curls into a ball, rolling straight for her opponent’s head.

Wait, is that Rollout there? Since that description sure feels pretty Rollout.

Unable to see, she is now guided only by her smell and hearing, but her aim remains true. With a resounding crack, she crashes into the Poliwhirl’s head. She feels the way it vibrates through his skull and the way the rest of his body falls limp. She revels in the sensation, savors the hard-fought victory.

Yeah, it was Rollout. I think. Though either way, it sure did a number on that Poliwhirl there.

Her landing is less than graceful, but she does not care. She picks herself up from the dirt, makes her way over to her fallen opponent to gloat, but stops short when she steps on something that crackles softly under her foot.

It is an apricorn. Fully ripe, shaken loose from a nearby tree in their scuffle. She is not sure why, but she picks it up, admires it, then holds it close. It is a memento, a trophy from this battle.

… Wait, what color Apricorn is this anyways? Or is it a generic Apricorn like in PLA?

Clutching her trophy in both paws, she throws her head back and bellows at the sky.

She is Larvitar, and she is a warrior.

There’s a line from KOTOR about the differences between warriors and soldiers that suddenly comes to mind. Which given how it held up for as far into this story as I got into it in initial beta reading up to around the midpoint mark… isn’t a good portent for where Korrva will wind up at the end of things.

Days blend into one another, but it is irrelevant to her. She only measures the passing of time by the rate her strength grows. As she becomes stronger, her territory expands, little by little, until trees thin out to grassier slopes, and it is here that she meets her first human. Her first trainer.

She is content to watch quietly from the grass, until the human clicks a small apricorn-like sphere at her waist, and suddenly there is light. And then there is a Pokémon, one she has never seen before: tall and green and white, with a massive leaf on its head. He looks softer, but he carries himself much like the trees do; quiet, yet dignified. Powerful.

Oh, so Bayleef are white in your continuity, huh? I would’ve done “cream” or “yellow” myself, but I suppose it does line up with early-franchise depictions of the things.

It is a marvelous opportunity to prove her strength to an unknown Pokémon. She takes a moment to feel for her apricorn, tucked away in a pocket under her scales. It is still there, as it has always been, and it gives her strength. She bursts from the grass and roars out a challenge, startling both the girl and the Pokémon, and takes a fighting stance.

… Wait, how has Korrva’s Apricorn not spoiled and rotted out by this point anyways?
:joltyshrug~1:

The human stares, then grins. She chatters at her, in words that she can surprisingly understand. “Wow! Larvitar, huh? I’ve never seen one of your kind before. You want to battle?”

Cue Korrva declining to answer and just lunging ahead screaming battle cries.

It is strange, yet thrilling, to hear her name spoken aloud, though she is not sure why. Names were of little significance in the wild, rarely given and even more rarely used. And yet, for the first time, she realizes that she likes it. And she wants to hear it again.

… Wait, so how’s that work for more social Pokémon like Houndour anyways? Like do they get internal nicknames or something? ^^;

She answers the human’s question with another roar. The girl signals to her companion, and he steps forward, bowing his head by way of greeting.

Could be worse, he could’ve greeted like they do in Power Trip where a “greeting” is a good old-fashioned body tackle.

She does not care for greetings, only for victory. She throws herself at her foe, slams into his neck before biting down hard, and the battle begins.

Lou: “*Ow! Hey! A little warning would’ve been nice!*” >_>;

It is a thrilling fight, the most challenging one she has had in a long time, and yet it is all too short. Her opponent, though not nimble, is strong. Resolute. He barely flinches at her attacks before slicing at her with his leaves, hurling her about with his vines and muscling his way through her rocks and dirt by sheer force. Before long, she is exhausted, and a final blow sends her rolling through the grass. She tries to stand—once, twice, three times, and fails each time.

Korrva: “*Agh… keel over already, will ya?!*” >.<

She hears the girl murmur something, movement in the corner of her blurry vision. Soon, the girl and her companion are crouching in front of her, their shadows looming over, reminiscent of a previous defeat.

Korrva: “*I’d say that I’ll get them next time, but boy is this embarrassing.*” @.@

But this time, there is no posturing or boasting. Instead, the human procures a strange-looking object and sprays her down with it. She flinches, unprepared for the tingling sensation, and picks herself up off the ground to growl at this human for having the audacity to humiliate her further—

“Does that feel better?” The girl’s voice is gentle. “You know, you put up a really amazing fight. Lou is three times your size and has a type advantage, but you still gave him a real challenge!”

Korrva: “*... Is this some sort of trick? Since this feels like some sort of trick.*”

The Pokémon called Lou bows his head and rumbles in a voice so low she almost doesn’t hear him. “You are a worthy opponent.”

Korrva: “*Cool, so let’s just get straight back to the part where I’m kicking your tail-*”
Lou: “*You’re… going to be waiting a while for that. Just take it easy for now.*”
:eltywtf:

She glares at him. She lost. She has not proven her worth yet, not until she wins. With a swagger in her step, she puffs out her chest and challenges him again with a bark. Now that she can fight again, the battle must resume, she must continue, she must push forward until she is victorious—

Oh right, I forgot that Korrva almost literally does go “cool, let’s get back to fighting”. ^^;

But the girl only shakes her head. “You shouldn’t push yourself, you know. That potion healed your injuries, but it won’t replace the energy you’ve spent. It’s important to rest between battles.

I can already tell that this is going to be very
by the time this story is over given that Korrva becomes the Shadow Tyranitar from Colosseum.

What? She glances between the one called Lou and his human companion, and when neither of them show any sign of returning to battle, she snorts at them. Rest? Ridiculous. A battle is never over until she can prove herself worthy, until she conquers her opponent, until she wins.

To quote Gurren Lagann: “That bravado will get you killed.”

Or at least it’ll get someone killed, anyways.

The girl smiles. “Battling is really important to you, isn’t it?” She extends a hand. “My name is Mei. I’m a trainer, and Lou and I travel the region with our team to grow stronger. Do you want to join our team, Larvitar?”

Korrva: “*I’m sorry, why do I want this when you won’t give me the dignity of another try to tan your hides?*”
:what:

Lou: “*Because you’re not going to get another chance if you turn back here since it’s unlikely we’ll ever meet again?*”
:eltyunamused:

Korrva: “*... Alright, that’s a decently compelling argument.*”

There it is again. Her name, or the closest thing she has to it, said out loud. It is the only thing that feels almost as good as a battle, and she yearns to hear it more. Slowly, thoughtfully, she leans forward and sniffs at the girl’s hand, but it is empty. So why did she hold it out in the first place? She is not sure, so she settles for resting her chin in the human’s hand before looking into her eyes and growling in affirmation.

I take it that Tyranitar have very different forms of affection that they dole out to their progeny given that Korrva’s just completely mystified by Mei holding her hand out for a pet.

The girl called Mei smiles wider, and the warmth in her face is like the sun on a spring morning. Lou rumbles and bows his head again, the leaves around his neck rustling. “It will be an honor to have you as a teammate and friend,” he says.

Friend?

Korrva: “*Is that something you eat like a dirt clod?*”
Lou: “*... Boy are you going to be a handful to bring up to speed.*” -_-;

“That’s—wow! Ah, I’m so glad!” Mei pulls her hand away to cup her face. “I’m so excited! Welcome to the team, Larvitar!”

Korrva: “*Is a ‘team’ something you also eat-?*”
Lou: “*Look, nothing Mei brings up is edible unless explicitly stated otherwise, okay?*” >_>;

The name again. There is a strange feeling inside her chest that she has not felt before. She brings her paws to it, though she is not sure why, and makes a light, cheerful noise she has never heard herself make before.

D’aww… though what does a purring/rumbling Larvitar sound like anyways? ^^

The girl rummages through a pouch slung over her shoulder, then pulls out another apricorn-like ball, identical to the one Lou was summoned from.

Korrva: “*Wait, your ‘Mei’ also keeps Apricorns as fighting trophies?*”
Lou:
dsmGaKWMeHXe9QuJtq_ys30PNfTGnMsRuHuo_MUzGCg.jpg

“This is called a Pokéball. It’s like a little home, or a little den, just for you. It’s so Pokémon like you can travel with me more easily, and it keeps you safe.” She holds it out. “Once you press this button in the middle, you’ll be pulled inside and you’ll officially be a member of the team. You can jump out any time, and I’ll never force you to go inside it if you don’t want to. Okay?

Yeah, I knew from the beginning that this was a promise that was inevitably going to be broken. But boy is it
:copyka:
looking back at things even from how far into the story I got.

It is new and odd and, though she hates to admit it, a little frightening. But Lou called her a ‘friend’, and Mei says her name so kindly, and there will be many thrilling battles ahead. She reaches for the ball, but Mei pulls it back.

“Oh! Sorry—one more thing. If you’re going to join the team, would you like a name?”

Korrva: “*I already have one, though. ‘Larvitar’.*” >:|
Lou: “*A personal name. You know, like how mine’s ‘Lou’?*” -_-;

A…name? But she already has one. It is ‘Larvitar’. It is the name of her kind. She tilts her head in confusion.

Korrva: “*... I’m sorry, why do I want a silly-sounding name like ‘Lou’ again? Like you’re not a ‘Lou’, you’re a ‘Bayleef’!*”
Lou: “*... Maybe this can wait until we get to a Name Rater, Mei.*” -_-;

“It’s okay if you don’t want one. But I wanted to give you the option.”

Lou snorts softly, almost like a chuckle, and speaks gently. “What she means is that it will be a name unique to you. I am called ‘Lou’, but my kind is called Bayleef. I chose to have a name that is all my own, and it sets me apart from other Pokémon.”

Until Mei runs into another trainer with a Pokémon named ‘Lou’, anyways. Since I can’t imagine it’s that rare of a name given out.

She blinks. A…specific name. One that only belongs to her. She has never considered the idea before, and yet… the idea of being called by a name that belongs to no one else is delightful to her. It is something she never knew she wanted until this moment, and now she wants it with every fiber of her being. She thinks she might even be quivering as she nods aggressively.

Korrva: “*Oh! Oh! I’ve got one! ‘Bonecrusher’! Or maybe ‘Bloodbath’! Or ‘Destroys-Her-Enemies’!*” ^^
Lou: “*Boy am I glad that Mei can’t understand any of that.*” ._.;

Lou hums pleasantly. Mei laughs. “Okay, then, let’s give you a name! And if you don’t like it, you can say so. We can take our time finding one you like.”

No. No, she wants one now. She shakes her head and stomps her foot. Mei laughs again.

Korrva: “*But I just suggested some names.*” >_>;
Lou: “*Those… uh… won’t fit the character limit for names! Yeah, let’s go with that. Point is, that Mei has to come up with the name here.*”
Korrva: “*Pah, like she could come up with something better than ‘Bonecrusher-’*”

“Okay, okay, we can do it now! Um…let’s see…what do you think of…Korrva?”

Korrva: “*That’s… surprisingly catchy, actually.*”
:bulbuhhh:

Korrva. She mulls it over for a moment, takes the name and rumbles it aloud, rolling it around in her mouth as if tasting a particularly appetizing stone. She brightens. Korrva. It is strong, it is noble. It is…hers.

Lou: “(Probably for the best that she never asks Mei what it means, since I’m pretty sure she just picks these names since they sound cute to her.)” ^^;

She rumbles the name out loud again. And again, and again, louder each time, until she is bellowing it to the sky and Lou bellows with her and Mei is laughing and cheering and suddenly, all at once, nothing in the world has felt more right.

She is Korrva, and she is no longer alone.

D’aww, what a lovely ending to the one-shot-

-beat-

Oh right, there’s the other two-thirds of this, huh?
:copyber:

She meets her two other teammates: a Houndour called Ashka and a Quagsire called Burton. Burton says he likes to be called “Burt,” which Lou explains is a “nick” name, and she learns that you can have two names like that and decides she wants one of her own immediately. But she soon finds that she likes her full name too much, and establishes that only Mei is allowed to call her by her nick name.

… Somehow, I completely forgot about Ashka and Burton from when I read the first half’s pre-contest version. Duly noted.

It is odd at first, living with several others when she has spent most of her life in solitude, but she surprises herself with how quickly she adapts. She learns that Lou is a powerful sparring partner, but he is also soft and gentle like cool grass on a warm day. Ashka has boundless energy and is a ferocious opponent, but the Houndour is also the one who teaches her what it means to “play.” Burt is a slow battler, one who takes his time and then strikes quickly and brutally when he spots an opening. He is her toughest opponent, and she would battle him from sunrise to sunset were it not for his great love of long afternoon naps.

Those… all feel remarkably in-character for individuals of those species, though perhaps I’m biased from having played Gates to Infinity where for all his outward goofiness and slowness, Quagsire was an absolute terror in that game if you were on the wrong side of him.

She learns that the world is so much bigger than she ever imagined it could be, that there is so much more beyond her corner of the forest. There are humans and many Pokémon and all kinds of food. It is exciting, if a little daunting at times, but she never regrets her choice. For the first time, she begins to learn that life has more to offer than battles…but battles, especially winning battles, will always be her favorite part of it.

So how much of an obnoxious sore winner was Korrva under Mei’s wing, anyways? :V

Mei teaches her about battling rules, teaches her when to rest and when to push her limits, and tells her about what is called the “gym circuit” and how it works. She is told about these “gym battles,” and immediately decides she wants nothing more than to be in one. To win one. It is not long before she gets her wish.

I can already see Korrva’s face when Mei and Lou explained the premise of a “Champion” to her. ^^;

Mei’s face is tense and pale as she informs the team of their opponent. “Korr, I know you really want in on this battle, so I’ll try to give you a turn, but you’re still pretty small. Morty’s Gengar is nasty from what I’ve heard, and I don’t want you in over your head. So just follow my lead, okay?”

Korrva: “*I have a type advantage over those stupid ghosts.*”
:eltywtf:

Lou: “*And a level disadvantage that more than negates it. Just… trust Mei on this one, Korrva.*” -_-;

It is not what she wants to hear. She scowls and huffs and grumbles, and Mei rubs the scales under her chin with a sigh.

I know. I’m sorry. I just don’t want to push you past your limit. I promise that by the time we get to the next gym, you’ll get plenty of time to shine. Okay?”

Would suggest dividing up Korrva’s reaction and Mei’s dialogue here. Also, IIRC, Mei never gets a chance to make good on her promise after this.

It is still not what she wants, but she will accept it for now. She agrees with a sigh and returns to her Pokéball.

Korrva: “*Whelp, time to stare at the sky and spectate the battle inside this-*”
- Beat moment -
Korrva: “*Oh right, it never was specified how Pokéballs work in this story. Uh… well… what am I supposed to do here to pass the time-?*”

The battle does not go well. She knows this the moment the light fades and she finds herself standing on the battlefield. She looks up at Mei, whose face shines with sweat and is tight with anxiety. But the girl still manages to smile at her.

Do your best, Korrva, but please don’t push yourself. Follow my lead and learn what you can from this battle.”

Korrva: “*... Wait, just how much have I missed in there? Since I thought I just barely went inside my Pokéball!*”
:ohnowen:

Nothing more is said, but the unspoken message is clear nonetheless; her teammates are nowhere in sight. She is the last thing standing between her team and defeat.

Korrva: “*Whelp, their problem and not mine. I could handle some dumb ghost with my eyes closed! I’ve got a type advantage!*”
:gardeshrug~1:

She cannot contain the excitement boiling in her veins, and she does not try to. She faces her massive, hulking ghost of an opponent and gives a roar that vibrates her own scales. She is ready.

Korrva:
the-book-of-boba-fett-i-can-take-him.gif

The Gengar is evasive. Frustratingly so. They vanish just before contact is made, then reappear in a shadowy corner to cackle and mock her. They spit poison wherever they can, and despite all attempts to avoid it, she is soon hit with dripping acid. She feels it seep under her scales, feels it begin to eat away at her energy.

Korrva: “*Stay still already!*” >.<
Gengar:
bdd.jpg

She begins to stumble. Her attacks start falling short or miss altogether. Mei calls her back to her side, tells her that she can forfeit and rest, but she refuses. She will push forward, onward, until she triumphs.

She digs into the earth, relying on scent and hearing to guide her. She is tired, so very tired, and she remembers a different time under a different set of soil. She did not stop then, and she will not stop now.

Ah yes, the power of determination. Ever so slightly unhealthy determination.

She locates her target, but what happens next is strange. Warmth envelops her, followed by light, and a sudden burst of power erupts from within. She shoots upwards at a speed she never knew she was capable of, slams into her unsuspecting foe, and clamps down hard on their tail. Adrenaline pulses through her, the roar of the crowd intoxicates her, and she lands blow after blow after blow—

Korrva:
giphy.gif

“Korrva! Korrva, stop!”

But she does not stop. It is not her nature. She was made to fight, to conquer, to win—

… Yeah, I’m really reminded of that quote from KOTOR about the difference between a warrior and a soldier now.

A flash of light drags her back into her ball, but it does not hold her for long. She bursts back out, snarling, but Mei is in front of her now, waving her arms, eyes wide.

“Korr! Korrva, stop, the battle’s over! Stop! We won, okay?”

Korrva: “*But I still need to finish tearing that Gengar a new ghostly a-*”
Mei: “Korrva. We. Won, okay?” O_O;

Won. We won. She blinks, and slowly the red haze clears from her mind. She looks up at Mei, but the girl is not smiling.

Why is Mei not smiling?

Korrva: “*U-Uh? Mei? Are the others hurt or something-?*”

Another flash of light pulls her back into her Pokéball. It is the first time she has been recalled without her consent, and she does not know how to feel about it.

Korrva: “*Mei?! Wh-What the hell?! You said that you wouldn’t-!*” O_O;

They are in a Pokémon Center the next time she comes out. She looks around for her teammates, but they are not here. It is just her. And Mei. Mei, who is smiling again, but it is a small and not very convincing one.

I kinda wonder given how radically the scene shifts places here if it would’ve made sense to drop in a hard scene break. Though then again, I suppose if the entire point is that to Korrva that this all feels instantaneous to her because of ball stasis or something like that, then it makes sense. I suppose I can see the argument either way.

“Well, first things first…you evolved. How do you feel, Korr?”

Korrva: “*... Aren’t you going to talk about how you broke a cardinal promise you gave me before I joined you? That feels a bit more important right now.*”
:typhNOsion:

She blinks. She did not…realize. And yet, now she notices how different her body feels, how she no longer has limbs and feels somewhat constricted, and yet can hop around with relative ease. She is bigger. Most importantly, she is stronger.

She bounces around on the tile, humming with pride. Mei’s smile becomes more real.

Korrva: “*Though to answer your question, I feel great… if weirdly like I’m a hatchling all over again.*”

“I was surprised, too! I didn’t realize how close you were. And look at you! You’re so big now!”

Korrva: “*... So are we going to talk about you breaking your promise, or…?*”

Her face then falls.

“But, Korrva…we need to talk about that battle. I…you did really well, and I’m proud of you for winning. But…you went too far at the end. I’m a little worried.”

Korrva: “*Mei, I won you a Gym Badge. Why are you upset at me right now?*” >_>;

She stops her bouncing and looks at her trainer again. This is a tone she has never heard from her before.

Korrva: “*Seriously, Mei. You’re… kinda scaring me right now.*” ._.

“I—I’m not sure if you just got carried away because of your evolution, but…please. Don’t do that again, okay? Please stop when I tell you to. For your own sake and your opponent’s sake.” She lets out a breath. “Fortunately, you didn’t cause any serious injuries, and Morty was…understanding. Gengar was, too. But he was just as concerned as I am, and I don’t blame him.”

Boy were those worries prescient given that IIRC the central premise of this one-shot is that Korrva actually enjoys getting shadowed by the end.

Her gaze is pleading, but also firm. “I know you love to win. Probably more than any of us, honestly. But you need to know your limits, too. You need to learn when enough is enough. Promise me you’ll work on it. Okay?

Narrator: “She will never get the chance to.”

She does not fully understand. Why did any of this matter if they won? Was that not what was most important? But she nods—or rather, rocks her whole body—and Mei smiles once again.

794.png

Least of all since I’m pretty sure that that sort of mindset would inevitably wind up getting Mei’s Trainer’s License suspended if you didn’t get stolen from her.

“Good. I trust you. We’ll work on it together, I promise! And, hey, to celebrate you evolving…” Mei trails off as she pulls something out of her pocket.

It is…an apricorn. No, not just any apricorn. Her apricorn.

Korrva: “*... Wait, how has that thing not spoiled and rotted away by now anyways?*” ^^;

She rumbles and rocks back and forth. Mei holds up a hand. “It’s okay! It fell out during the battle, but I got it, and it’s okay.” The girl lowers her hand so the apricorn can be seen more clearly. “I was thinking…if you’re okay with it…we could turn this into a Pokéball. A special one, just for you. And that way, you’ll never have to lose it. What do you think?”

I kinda wonder if this should be turned into at least 2 paragraphs, but I’m tripping up over where I would recommend dividing it up into pieces. Maybe such that each of Mei’s line is in its own regardless of whether or not it’s attached to the description paragraphs?

A Pokéball? One just for her? It’s like a name, but a little different. It is another thing unique to her and to no one else.

Korrva: “*So, yeah. I like the sound of that.*” ^^

She suddenly learns that she can bounce very, very high if she is excited enough. Higher than she ever could as a Larvitar. Mei bursts into laughter.

Okay, okay! I’ll take that as a yes, then! Just calm down a little before you break something, Korr.”

inb4 there’s already a Pupitar-sized impression in the Pokécenter ceiling by then.

She does, but only after Mei promises to take them all to an apricorn workshop first thing tomorrow. Mei wraps her arms around her and hugs her tight. “I’m proud of you, Korrva. Remember that.”

Korrva: “*I feel as if I should be madder about Mei breaking her promise to me, but I can’t get over how I’m gonna get my own personal Pokéball.*”
:eltystarry:

Later that evening, they set up camp near the workshop. After a hearty meal and robust celebration of their victory and her evolution, she nestles between her teammates and watches the stars overhead until she gradually drops off to sleep.

She is Korrva, and she is happy.

And then Mei and her team lived happily ever after-

Korrva: “*Oi! There’s at least half the one-shot left!*” >.<

… Right. Time to get around the part where the wheels on the happy bus start falling off.

The day it all falls apart begins like any other.

Korrva: “*... It it too late to go back to ‘happily ever after’?*”
:uhhh:

Narrator:
:blobyes:

Mei insists that they “take a day off,” and it becomes clear that this means…no battles. Instead, they sprawl on the beach at a place called “Olivine”. Burt is playing in the water. Mei, Ashka and Lou are basking in the sun.

And Korrva is bored.

Korrva: “*Mei, wasn’t there a desert or something we could go to instead?*” -_-;
Lou: “*Korrva, we live in Johto.*” >_>;
Korrva: “*Fine, Mt. Silver or something, then.*”

It is a welcome change of pace when a trainer, a boy that appears close to Mei’s age, approaches them and asks for a battle. He is an odd one, constantly shifting his weight from one foot to another and looking all around.

Ah yes, red flags that go undetected until it’s far too late.

She wonders why. There is no one else near them, so what is there to see? She does not dwell on this long, though, because soon she is bouncing around Mei, spraying her with sand until the girl finally agrees.

Korrva: “*In retrospect, that was probably ill-advised of me there.*” ._.;

Strangely, the boy only has one Pokémon—but he is a Pokémon like none other. He is massive, much bigger than any of her teammates, and he looks similar to Lou except he has brown hide and large leafy wings across his back. He emerges from his Pokéball already in a fighting stance. A formidable opponent.

Korrva: “*Ah yes, a Tropius. No matter. I’ll Rock Slide him and call it a day-*”

But above all, he is angry.

Lou: “*Um. Korrva? I don’t think that’s a normal Tropius there.*” O.O

She has never seen a Pokémon move like this one does. He is ferocious, lashing out with almost predatory force. He has no restraint, brutally taking out Burt, then Lou, then even Ashka in only a few hits apiece, and yet he shows no pride in his victories. His eyes are burning with a savage hunger that she does not fully understand.

Oh, so Colosseum!Tropius went on a world tour prior to the events of the game in your continuity, huh?

Mei is frowning, but holds her stance. “That’s a…really tough Tropius you have there. Where’d you find him? Are you from Hoenn?”

Tropius Trainer:

Mei: “... Starting to think that I should call the police right now.” ._.
Korrva: “*Oh come on, Mei! We can handle this guy! It’s just like Morty’s Gengar all over again!*”

The boy meets Mei’s eyes and his lips curl in a snarl. There is no sign of the nervousnesses he displayed before. “None of your business.”

“There’s no need to be rude, I was just asking a question—”

“Send out that Pupitar.”

Korrva: “*... This is going to be like Morty’s Gengar all over again, right?*”
:grohno~1:

“Excuse me? Don’t tell me what to—”

But the answer is clear. With her teammates no longer able, she is their last resort. She shoots forward, spraying sand behind her, ignoring Mei’s cry of dismay as she rams into her opponent. She is ready. More than ready. This is a foe with a true fighting spirit, and she is not about to lose.

7 words thought seconds from disaster.

Except she does.

The hit lands before she can even see it coming, vines crushing her side with a resounding crunch. She feels her shell crack, feels white-hot pain that makes her vision flicker, distantly hears Mei scream. She tries to get up, but is met with a blow to her other side, just as vicious as the first, and then another across her front.

Korrva: “*... Ow*.” X_X

“I saw this Pupitar in that Ecruteak gym.” The boy’s voice is close. She realizes he is standing over her. “I knew then that it was something special. You’re not fit to have it, anyway.

Never before have I wanted somebody to become Tyranitar food this badly. We’ll see if the one-shot delivers by the end.

She tries to move, to get up, to keep fighting, but can only manage to roll onto her other side. Pain is making everything fuzzy, but she thinks she can see a blur of green standing over her trainer, wrapping her up in vines. She hears Mei scream again, and this time she can make out the words.

“No, no, please! Korrva! Korrva!”

Korrva: “*N-Nrgh… M-Mei? What’s going-?*”

It is the last thing she hears before a beam of white light engulfs her and drags her into black.

Korrva: “*On.*” O.O

She cannot be sure how much time has passed when she comes to her senses. All she knows is pain. And more pain. And…white.

The entire room is white. It is painful to look at. But even more painful is the blindingly bright light directly above her. She tries to move and finds she cannot. She is bound tightly to a metal table with several massive chains.

Korrva: “*You know, in retrospect, they really need to come up with some better way of giving us Pokémon a sense of time passing in those things.*”

“Careful, I hear this one’s a fighter.”

“That won’t be a problem.”

Korrva: “*Because I’ll win, right?*” ^^;
Cipher Peon #1:
giphy.gif

Korrva: “*... Right?*” o_o;

Voices. There are voices. Blurry silhouettes just outside the rim of light. One steps forward and into her view. He is also dressed in white, in a long coat, but there is some color, too. Speckles of red across his front.

He raises his hand, holding an odd, sharp-looking object that is filled with foul-smelling fluid. He looks down at her, and there is nothing, nothing at all, in his face or his cold, empty eyes.

“Let us begin.”

The only way that that ending line could be any more cursed is if you added “the experiment”, but I suppose we’re in the wrong series for that.

She is Korrva, and for the first time in her life, she is afraid.

Korrva:
worried-laughter.gif

Pain becomes her closest friend.

Korrva: “*Which is probably a sign that I need some better friends right now.*” X_X

There is no way to know the passage of time within the white walls. Sometimes, she awakens to find herself in a very, very tiny room, one that is barely large enough to hold her. She cannot move freely in this tiny room, and there is only one window in an upper corner. For all her efforts, she cannot get into a position to look out of the window.

Korrva: “*... Wait, so what exactly changed from my Pokéball aside from the occasional bouts of agony and the window I can’t get a clear view of from here?*” ^^

She misses her ball. She misses her Mei. She misses her teammates, Lou’s gentle humming and Ashka’s cheerful yips and Burt’s steady presence. Above all, she misses the days she wasn’t in pain.

Korrva: “*.. Right, those would be some big changes.*” ._.

After a while, she notices a cycle. Strapped to a table, poked and prodded and sometimes even cut open, by different white-coated humans who all ignore her roars and shrieks and screams, only letting up once she loses consciousness. Awakening in her tiny room, bandaged and bleeding, unable to move and sometimes barely able to breathe, until the pain begins to ebb and her strength starts to return. Then she is sucked into a Pokéball that is not her own, sent out and immediately immobilized, and strapped to a table once more. The cycle repeats.

So just how common is aichmophobia among ex-Shadows in your setting anyways given that being subjected to surgical procedures while conscious is a part of the Shadowing process?

It continues, over and over, until, finally, she manages to fight back: as a woman carelessly tears off a chunk of her shell, she musters the strength to launch the shard as if it is a stone, lodging it straight into the human’s throat.

The spurt of red that follows is accompanied by frantic screams. It creates a twisted sense of triumph within her, one that festers and grows as she watches the woman slump to the floor and the life ebb from her eyes.

600px-201Unown.png

Korrva: “*No, no, let me fix that for you.*”

HOME201S.png

Korrva: “*Seriously, she got what she had coming to her.*” >:|

For once, she is not the one screaming. She is not the one bleeding. For once, she has won.

Oh Korrva, you sweet, (formerly) innocent, summer child. This is exactly the sort of thing that would encourage your captors to make your life worse.

It is not a formal battle, but the victory feels the same. She clings to this burning sense of pride, holds it close even as another human plunges a knife into her exposed shell in retaliation.

Well, it got worse sooner than I thought.

Korrva: “*Are you seriously just stabbing me with a scalpel right now when your friend is dead and bleeding all over the floor right now?*”

Cipher Peon #2:
:blobyes:

Korrva: “*... Clearly I didn’t kill enough of you freaks.*”

She has won, and she will do so again. And again. And again. She will not give in. She will not succumb. She will not break.

She is Korrva, and she will not lose.

Narrator: “Korrva is going to break and lose.”

The cycle changes after that.

She emerges from the Pokéball and blinks under the bright overhead lights. But this time, there is no Pokémon waiting to stun her into helplessness. There is no table. And the room is much, much bigger.

She does not have long to be confused. A door opens on the opposite side of the room, and yet another white-clothed human is there. He pulls out a Pokéball and summons…a Spinarak.

:fearfullaugh:

Oh, so we’re going to see Korrva goosh a bug on-screen, huh?

The human who holds her Pokéball is standing behind her. She only says one word: “Fight.”

It is the first time anyone has spoken to her. She wonders what this means. A battle? But the woman is not giving any other commands. She hesitates, and it is her first mistake.

Korrva: “*Wait, what do you mean my first mistake?! I didn’t even get told what attack to-!*”
:ohnowen:

A jolt of agonizing electricity laces through her skull. She bellows, enraged, and thrashes on the floor. The woman speaks again.

“I said, fight.”

Korrva: “*(A-Agh! How is she doing that when I’m supposed to be half Ground-type?!) Could you give a bit more to work with than-?*” @.@
Cipher Peon #3:
bdd.jpg

Pain fuels her fury. She rockets across the room and rams the trembling, unprepared Spinarak. He is hurled into the wall, then flops to the floor, unconscious.

There. Her job is done. She turns back to the woman, but nobody moves. The woman speaks again.

“Finish it.”

Korrva: “*Wait, but I thought that I did.*” ._.;

She tilts to one side. Finish it? But it is already finished. The battle is won. She is not supposed to attack an opponent once they are defeated. She does not underst—

Cipher Peon #3: “
man-ray-facepalm.gif

Kill it.
Korrva: “*Huh? But since when were battles to the death-*?” O_O;

Another bolt of white agony sears her vision. She screams again, this time tearing up the floor as she writhes.

“It is still breathing. Finish. The fight.”

Now she understands.

Korrva: “*Okay, nevermind! Killing the Spinarak sounds good! You can stop with the electric shocks! (Seriously, how are you even doing that?!*” O.O

She picks herself up and turns back to the fallen Pokémon. She can tell just by looking at him that he is small and weak. He would never have been a fair match for her.

For just a moment, she sees Mei’s face after the gym battle. Mei would be very upset at what she is about to do. But Mei is not here, and any other option means she must lose.

Korrva: “*Um… sorry? But if it’s any consolation, you’re dying for a good cause! Namely me not being in agony!*”

She makes it quick. She takes a sizable chunk that she’d ripped out of the floor and drops it on the little bug. He never feels a thing.

Spinarak: “*... Ow.*” X_X
Korrva: “*Almost didn’t feel a thing. Close enough.*”
:sweats:

The woman’s face remains unchanged, but her tone warms ever so slightly. “Well done.”

Then the ball sucks her back in, and she is left to wonder why this is considered a victory.

In retrospect, I kinda wonder if there ought to have been a bit more emphasis on Korrva feeling helpless / afraid for her own life, especially since depending on how typing normally works, her feeling electric shocks at all might be a very alien and frightening experience for her.

Like I get that Korrva has logically been further ground down since the last scene, but it feels a little weird that a scene after she kills one of her tormentors out of spite on the operating table, that here she just needs two electric shocks to beat her into line. I assume that there’s more context behind Korrva getting to this point, and providing a bit more of it might have sold the sense of “Okay, I give! I give!” a bit more.

Korrva: “*Y-You know, I think that I’m ready to go back to Mei telling me to back off for a while.*”

A new cycle begins. She does not see the table again, nor does she go back to the tiny room save for meals. All her time is now either spent inside the ball, or out in the big room. Fighting.

Her opponents gradually grow bigger and stronger, each one slightly more capable than the last, but they are still no match for her. And every time, she is only awarded victory after “finishing” each battle. She tries to make it quick each time, as painless as possible, but sometimes they still manage to scream or give her one last terrified look before the final blow.

Korrva: “*... What on earth are they doing with all of those corpses afterwards anyways?*” .-.

She does not know what to feel. Sometimes she thinks of Mei, of her teammates, and a cold heaviness weighs over her. But Mei’s face gradually begins to fade, replaced by more recent, more vivid flashes of the terrified eyes of her foes. They haunt her. They needle away at her.

And she begins to resent them for it.

Ah yes, onto the “why won’t you just die?!” phase of shadowing. Though uh… I have to wonder how on earth a Shadowmon comes back from this post-purification short of strategically inducing memory loss over the entire Shadowing process. .-.

It is not her fault they are so weak. If they wanted so badly to survive, then they should scrape and claw and fight, wear themselves down to the bone to do so. Just like she once did, as a weak and small Larvitar. Just like she does now, as an angry and defiant Pupitar. She survived then, all alone, and she will continue to do so.

Korrva, don’t make me break out the Kyubey macro again.

She is Korrva, and she will triumph. She will. She will. She will.

Totally a good omen for where the rest of this one-shot is going.

Eventually, the fights become a challenge.

She relishes in her first hard-fought victory, bellows over the mangled corpse of the Rhyhorn, her first foe to give her a good fight. The last look in its eyes was not one of fear, but of anger. She is not sure why, but this fuels her own rage even further.

… Wait, how many Pokémon does Cipher have to burn through in order to make a single Shadow in this continuity?

Its defeat will not be in vain. She will win the next battle, and the next, and the next. She will respect and honor their efforts while punishing any weakness she sees. Whether it is out of mercy, or resentment, or a sense of duty, she cannot be sure. Perhaps it is a mixture of all three.

It’s because you’ve snapped and are are attempting to rationalize your actions, Korrva.

And so she fights, each hit harder than the last, each battle more vicious, each death less merciful. This is what she was made for. She was made to fight, to conquer, to win, and to never stop until victory was hers.

And then she evolves.

:ScaredCabot:

And thus, a late-game opponent was born.

For a moment, she thinks to herself that it is nice to have limbs again. Then she pauses. Does she even remember the last time she had limbs? It is all so far away now, so distant, as if from a previous life. One thought bleeds into another and suddenly there are blurred faces, muffled voices that she thinks she should remember, but they are no longer clear. There is…a girl. And a team. Was it her team? Was it her family?

… Korrva is never getting those memories back even if she gets purified, is she?

This momentary distraction gives her enemy an opening. The Blastoise fires a Hydro Pump that dents her chest plate and cracks her ribs.

Korrva:
Screen_Shot_2023-01-02_at_2.27.44_AM.png

Rage and pain combine into a red haze and drive all other thoughts from her mind. With a shrieking scream mingled with a roar, she drives her fist into the side of the other Pokemon’s head and shatters its skull. She glories in the way its body goes limp and falls to the floor, and she stomps all over the shell until it cracks into pieces for good measure—

Well, that reaction image came true sooner than I thought. Though what on earth is Korrva on such that she can shatter the skull of something that uses Skull Bash as a level-up move? .-.

Something rolls out from under the lip of the shell. She pauses, picks it up. Stares at it.

It is…an apricorn.

Can’t tell if we’re about to see Korrva break down here or go “meh, whatever” since she’s too far gone.

She doesn’t know how she knows this. Or why her enemy had one. Or why it is making her feel so strange. Suddenly, she realizes she doesn’t know anything.

Why is she here? Why is she fighting? Why…

Oh, so she is going to break down…

Slowly, unconsciously, she curls her claws over the apricorn and crushes it, and with it, her feelings subside.

There is one thing she knows. She is…Korrva. Yes. That is all that matters.

Or not. I see she did indeed go the “meh, whatever” route.

It is easier than ever to break her opponents now. Limbs are snapped like flimsy tree branches. Scales are splintered like dry bark. Skin is shredded like soggy leaves.

And yet, she is unsatisfied. She wants more, more, more, and yet it is never enough. She rages after every fight is finished, demands them to bring her more, but eventually they always stop. Sometimes the humans are able to recall her before she crushes them to dust. Sometimes they are not quick enough.

Korrva doesn’t remember any of her original identity by this point, does she?

She has not felt the electric shocks for some time now. She learned quickly, even while she was still a Pupitar, that the humans control the shocks through a small remote in their hands. She could not remove the device they had implanted in her head, but she could certainly remove the remotes. And the hands holding them. Once she evolved, the shocks stopped altogether.

Good. They are learning. Learning who truly holds the power.

Oh, so that’s how she was feeling those electric shocks and why they were cutting her up. Though that’s an
at how she’s just casually killing off handlers who attempt to control her that way.

She is the strongest. She is the greatest. She is…she is…Tyranitar.

Korrva Tyranitar: “*... Why does that feel so underwhelming to say for some reason?*” .-.

For just a small, fleeting moment, she thinks that isn’t quite right. That she should be called something else. But the moment passes when the door opens again and out steps another human, with a Pokéball containing her next enemy.

Yes. She is destruction. Raw, unfiltered power. She is Tyranitar.

Tyranitar: “*Meh, it’s probably nothing. Bring on the next victim!*”

“I believe it is ready.”

“Truly? It has been quite some time. Are you certain?”

“Truly. I don’t believe I have ever seen a specimen more ready than this one. I daresay it even wants it.”

de7.png

I’m reminded of a Chocorojo LP where the Colosseum Tyranitar went on a bloody rampage in a Pokémon Center as the black comedy story component to an extra involving trading it to Emerald. This sounds like a recipe to cause something like that, but in earnest since Korrva literally needs to be peeled away from other Pokémon before she murders them out of existence at this point.

She can hear them, but it takes time for the words to register. Her brain is foggy, and everything around her feels…surreal. Far away.

Has she subcontracted part of her psyche to holing up in an internal happy place while the rest of her goes into murder mode? Wouldn’t be the first story I’ve heard of that did that.

With some effort, she manages to open her eyes. The room is dim, everything cast in a soft blue hue from a few colored lights. She sees machines, tubes, many things she does not understand, and…a few metal tables.

Tyranitar: “*The hell is this thing?*”

This enrages her, though she can’t remember why. And yet, despite the flare of anger that rises within, she can do more than let out a sluggish, gravelly growl.

Tyranitar: “*... I feel as if I should be more worried about this right now.*”

“Ah, it’s awake, I see. Is that supposed to happen?”

The voices are a little clearer now. She is able to make out two small silhouettes—humans, standing at her feet and looking up at her. She realizes she is upright, but not standing herself; instead, it seems she is suspended by many tubes and wires. Some of them are hooked to her, perhaps even inside her—but, at the very least, she feels no pain. In fact, she feels nothing at all, and can’t move any part of her body.

Tyranitar: “*... Wait, just how many drugs am I on right now?*” ._.;

“Oh, no need to worry about that. It’s heavily sedated and incapable of movement. I doubt it will stay awake for very long.”

Tyranitar: “*Oh, so all of them. Not sure I needed to know that.*” .-.

The man who is speaking is a tall and slender one—or at least, tall for a human. His violet mane of hair frames his face, the blue lights glinting off the lenses over his eyes. She cannot see his eyes under the reflected gleam, but she can see his wide grin.

“What do you think?” he says. “I’m quite proud of it, if I do say so myself.”

Oh, hello Ein. Or at least, I think you’re Ein.

The other man, much shorter and rounder than the first, looks her up and down before smiling himself. “It’s impressive. Remarkable, even. I’m eager to see the final product.”

Not sure who this is since that description doesn’t match a Cipher admin, but I’m guessing this is supposed to be the guy who rocks Tyranitar in Colosseum.

“As am I, sir.” The taller man raises a hand and knocks on her leg. She wouldn’t know he’d touched her if she wasn’t already watching. “You hear that, SD00573? You are almost perfected. And once you are, he will become your trainer.”

Tyranitar: “*... Wait, seriously? You’re not even going to give me a codename or something? Talk about a lack of imagination there.*” :|

… Though wait, does that imply that only 573 Pokémon total have been successfully shadowed by Cipher prior to Korrva? Just how resource-intensive is the process of making one, anyways? .-.

His voice is smug. Mocking. Infuriating. She snarls at him, manages to curl one lip to show her fangs.

And yet, most irritating of all was that last word. Trainer. Something stirs inside of her, a feeling she cannot place. Is it anger? Disgust? …Sadness?

My money is on the frustration of “agh, something’s so familiar about this but I can’t place it!”

She can’t hold on to the thought for very long. The taller man laughs and then reaches over to a nearby wire to press a button, and almost immediately her mind clouds over once more, the room spins, and her vision darkens.

We will begin Shadowfication, then, if we have your approval, sir.”

Wait, Korrva’s not even properly shadowed yet?! O_O;

She succumbs to nothingness before she can hear the reply, but one last thought remains in her brain: perfected.

She is Tyranitar. She is ready for perfection.

Ein: “
DpQ9YJl.png

You’re 'SD00573', don’t wear it out.”
Tyranitar: “*Oh yeah, like I’d ever accept a string of letters and numbers like that as a name.*” >:|

It is cold.

That is the first thought she has before she opens her eyes. Yet it does not make sense. To feel cold would mean she had once felt warmth. She is not sure she knows what either of those mean.

She is in the large room again. Free of restraints. The large room must mean another fight.

Oh boy, that’s not a good sign there. .-.

Fight. The word once sparked something within her. A fire. A savage pleasure. Rage. Pride. Pain. Now she feels nothing.

Really not a good sign there.

This does not strike her as odd or uncomfortable. It simply is. To feel uncomfortable would mean to want something different. But she wants nothing. Knows nothing, except that she is meant to destroy.

Yes. Yes. This is what it means to be perfected. This is what it means to be truly strong. Raw, filtered, precise power. Perfection.

Wait, does Korrva even have coherent thoughts in this state much further beyond “target acquired” and “target destroyed”? .-.

The door slides open. Another human, another Pokéball, another enemy to destroy. She is ready.

And when the woman sends out a Bayleef, she does not hesitate to crush it.

That Bayleef was Lou, wasn’t it?

At long last, she is finally what she has always meant to be.

She is called SD00573. She is perfection.

Tyranitar SD00573: “You know, I have the strangest feeling something about this name was weird to me once. Wonder why.”
- SD00573 flicks off some bits of ex-Bayleef off of her -
SD00573: “Anyhow. Next!

Also, for completely unrelated reasons, have the summation of this story’s ending note:

:eltycrying:

Since even if I knew that something like this was coming, boy did it hurt to reach the final destination. Good job, really.

So there are some things that I feel stand out in particular about that this one-shot. I thought that the use of different text font to show Korrva’s mental state at different phases of her life was a nice touch. Since it helps to highlight the process of her beginning to progressively lose herself to a negative feedback loop and become something that she and her once-friends would likely find unrecognizable.

I also thought that you use moral grayness pretty well in this story, where there’s isn’t a clearcut “good guy” to things, even if there’s some obvious bad ones. While I question how much Korrva truly wanted to become SD00573 at the end, you do a pretty convincing job of showing off that in the end, she wouldn’t have become SD00573 without her own decision-making and her own wants evolving in the middle of a bad situation. It’s chilling, but in the end it feels very compatible with Korrva as a character who had always had a streak of “win no matter what” to her character that was always going to end badly if put in the right (or I suppose in her case, wrong) situation

As for cons, I don’t have that much to complain about, honestly. Like I admittedly had to fire up Bulbapedia to try and figure out what was going on in the scene with Ein, but it makes sense since Korrva wouldn’t know why those humans are important meta-wise, so it’s only logical that a story framed from her perspective similarly would be in the dark. Dunno if it’s better to just leave things as is or else put in an author’s note at the end filling in context or something.

The one definitive gripe that I do have is that I somewhat felt that Korrva kinda rolled over a bit in the scene where she gets broken after being established as a fighter who’d bitterly dig her nonexistent feet in to the point where she kills a surgeon out of spite. Like if Korrva was already meant to have been ground down quite a bit between that scene and the one before it, it might make sense to play up that sense that she’s drained and depleted going into the electric shocks such that she’s starting to come up with rationalizations of “it’s just one Spinarak / nobody will ever know / I am not putting up with this for someone who couldn’t go down swinging” or the like to push herself to ignore Mei’s past guidance.

I’d been wanting to get back to this one-shot ever since I beta read the first half of it in the leadup to the villain PoV contest in 2022, and I think that you delivered. Since in the end, even if Korrva was quite literally poked and prodded into it, she winds up becoming a villain herself even before she makes the final plunge into shadowhood and embraces it in a manner that is chilling to see unfold. Very well done, and if and when OSAS ever gets to the point that we’ll see Korrva again, I already know that it’ll be quite the event, especially if her purification is dealt with in any detail in that story.

Congrats @HelloYellow17 , and I’ll be looking forward to crossing paths with your writing sometime again in the near future.

Last edited:

Starlight Aurate

Ad Jesum per Mariam | pfp by kintsugi
Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
Hi Yellow! I've seen your works recommended MANY times, and as I've yet to read any of them, I thought I'd take a look at this! I also love reading other contest one-shots, and in general, anything from a "villain" perspective captures my interest! I'll do a few lines that stick out to me with the meat of my review at the end.

First thing that caught my eye: present tense! That's not something I see every day. Definitely gives it a greater sense or urgency!

Oooh, a Larvitar story! I think it's interesting how Larvitar need to eat their way through the dirt to make it to the surface and survive; eating dirt makes me think of something more wormlike, yet the Larvitar line feeds on rocks and soil!

Honestly, as I read this, I would've half-expected the Poliwhirl to have beaten her badly enough that she couldn't get up again, or to finish her off entirely. But! As I read, I see that isn't typical of wild Pokemon, at least not in this story. Good foreshadowing!

She scrunches up her body, and then, like a spring, kicks out from the trunk and curls into a ball, rolling straight for her opponent’s head.

Unable to see, she is now guided only by her smell and hearing, but her aim remains true.
As she's flying through the air, is she still able to change and control her direction? Iirc the Pokemon anime had the Pokemon do so when using moves like Rollout, so I guess it makes sense--I was thinking along the lines of real-life physics, and that she'd be stuck on a single trajectory.

She meets her two other teammates: a Houndour called Ashka and a Quagsire called Burton.
A quagsire!!! More quag is always better :quag:

He is her toughest opponent, and she would battle him from sunrise to sunset were it not for his great love of long afternoon naps.
Yes, naps are of the greatest importance. Glad Burt has his priorities straight!

Seeing how Mei tries to explain everything to Korrva is really sweet! What an understanding and loving trainer. I'm definitely getting a sense of Korrva's fighting instincts though, and it seems like she has no empathy for others.

Above all, she misses the days she wasn’t in pain.
:( I feel you, girl. There is hope for us!

Ahh, what an ending! I LOVE character backstories, and as this is exploring how Shadow Pokemon are created in Colosseum and XD, I think it's so fascinating! It's really tragic to see how Korrva's mental state deteriorates from being a go-getter Larvitar, to becoming part of a family with friends, learning how to love, to a Pupitar who starts to learn the value of obedience and self-control, and witnessing the trauma of kidnap and abuse and how they not only transform who she is, but what she is. Having nobody in your life to love you is enough to mess someone up--having the only people in your life actively cause you pain is nothing short of severely traumatic. Even without the actual "Shadowfication" process, the psychological torture that Korrva had to endure was enough to break her and turn her heartless. I wish I could get the poor girl some therapy! And ugh, the descriptions of her being tied down and experimented on remind me of what happened to Mewtwo, both in canon and described in Negrek's Salvage. At first, seeing that Korrva cared enough about her opponents to make their deaths as painless as possible was a silver lining, but even that gives away to sheer determination and rage to win no matter what--which then turns into satisfaction at causing her opponents painful deaths, and it's all the sadder for it.

Korrva's change of mental state on seeing an apricorn reminds me of how music can trigger memories in people with certain memory loss issues--do you know if objects do that as well, in real life?

Honestly, given how tragic this story is, and how Korrva really didn't have any choice in what happened to her, this didn't feel like a villain fic. Of course, Evice's Tyranitar is a canon opponent in Colosseum, so I know it IS a villain--but her lack of free will reads more as someone who isn't evil, just severely traumatized and mentally decayed.

That would be my only critique, though, and this is a good story! The different text fonts definitely convey her changing state of mind, becoming blockier and more electronic as she loses more and more of herself. And you do such a good job with making gutpunches--the trainer with the Bayleef at the end was just a last pull on the heartstrings :( I like how you left it ambiguous as to whether it was May and Lou--perhaps trying to save their old friend?--or just another trainer.

But! The happy part about canon character backstories is that we at least know how this ends: Wes battles Evice, snags the Tyranitar, purifies her, and gives her a new home and new team. For me, at least, it's nice to have some reassurance that the story has a shred of sweetness to it, and it isn't all bitter.

Thanks for sharing this! It was a great job, and I'll have to add OSAS to my to-read list ;D

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Oh man, this devastated me. It was gripping, and even pressed for time towards the end of Review Blitz' second week, I couldn't bear to hurry through it, I had to drink it in fully. This is a damn good fic, and I'm heartbroken by it. Why would you write something so goddamn sad, Yellow?? Excellent fucking job.

So, first up, I gotta say I really liked the prose. There's so much attention to sensation, little details of sight and touch especially, but also audible crunches and even disrupted proprioception. There's also some really great internal narration that sells Korrva's pokémon cognition, I enjoy reading her as a sapient creature, but also a fierce and fearsome one, wild and not prone to introspection. I think it's this ferociousness that makes it hit harder when she gets so attached to the things that bring her joy, such as having a name of her own, an apricorn ball of her own, and so on, before having them ripped from her. She was capable of that kind of happiness and identity despite already being monstrous, and so 'suited' to Shadowfication. It hurts in a special way that Shadowfying a naturally sweet 'mon with a sociable temperament would not, at least to me. Every step along the way, from her intense need to grow stronger in the wild, to her development with Mei, to her excruciating transformation, is exquisite. I really liked Korrva, and I truly hope to see her purified in OSAS. (Please. I beg you.)

This fic is titled Nameless and even without a title drop, I really felt the name motif hit me hard. The repeated lines about who she is were a great way to make the loss of identity really hurt. It's bad enough when she becomes merely Tyranitar, because she's reverted all the way back to her state of being before she was caught, only caring about strength and victory. It's so much worse when she becomes a number, and doesn't even register the significance of a bayleef on the other side of the field, not caring about growing stronger, only caring about being this, being invincible and lethal. Another motif I really liked was the choice of different fonts for different 'eras' in her life. The sense of change and the effect on the vibe was significant, I think.

This is a dark and tragic fic, but you've handled it really, really well. There's violence, there's death, but it's not gratuitous or sensationalist. It's purposeful. It's effective. It's a mature execution of a necessary component of the story. It's well-written. I applaud it. This is the kind of shit I wish I'd had available to read when I was younger and still in a formative period of fanfic reading. Nice fucking work, Yellow.

Top Bottom