• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Mystery Continent ~ Southern Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.
R5 - Cabot and Lugia
  • Virgil134

PMD Writer
    Partners
    1. sylveon
    2. weavile
    3. kommo-o
    4. noivern
    5. mothim
    The following day Cabot tried to look for Nip around the guild, only to find out that he'd left town early in the morning. With no way to know where Nip went or when he'd be back, Cabot instead opted to try and take his mind off of things for the time being and check out the different sights Destiny Village had to offer. He eventually found himself at the beach to the south of Destiny Village, the frigid winds making him shiver slightly. While the place certainly didn't feel as nice as the beach on Treasure Town, at least the unique sight more than made up for it.

As Cabot walked along the beach he eventually noticed much to his surprise that not only Meringue was flying up ahead, but his mentor was standing there on the shoreline as well. He'd been curious about how they'd been doing ever since the fight at Silver Trench, and didn't hesitate to approach the two.

R5 - A Day at the Beach (Nate and Seyka)
  • Negrek

Play the Rain
    Staff
    The beach near Destiny Village wasn't as popular as the one near Treasure Town, and no wonder. Didn't exactly have that "fun and sun" kind of atmosphere. Nate squinted against the cold, salt-flecked wind and picked his way over the rocks. No point trying to head too far out; he didn't think anyone was likely to come along and interrupt him. If anybody else was going to head out here, he had to imagine it would be to be alone.

He set his pack down and fished Rocky out. The shade-stone had stopped its frantic shaking a while ago, but it still radiated a sullen unhappiness. It barely cheered up even at the offer of a berry. "Yeah, I get it," Nate said. "Here's to the whole fucking world, huh?"

The cold spray and churning ocean were kind of miserable, but at least they fit the mood. "Anyhow, where were we? What sounded like a routine job gone sour courtesy like two thousand fucking mankey, right? Yeah, so after that, you wouldn't believe this asshole who found me..." Yeah, nothing to see here. Just a guy having a conversation with his fucking psychic rock companion. Yet another day in poképaradise.

R6 - Reverse Psychology (Nate, Rocky, and DarkWhite)
  • Negrek

Play the Rain
    Staff
    It was another lovely fucking day at the beach. The waves churned against the rocks down below, and the sea breeze carried freezing spray with it. Here and there a sodden bit of snow lurked in the craggy bowl of a rock. "Wow, what a fucking beautiful day at the beach," Nate said, scowling down at the ocean. "It sure would suck if some bouncy asshole showed up to ruin it."

Rocky sat with his legs dangling over the edge of the cliff, watching. Nate popped a berry snack into his mouth and grimaced. "Good thing there isn't anybody around who'd want to interrupt all the fun we're having over here."

"Do we have to do this every time we come out here?" Rocky asked.

"Can you imagine how much it would suck if someone just showed up to try and swipe my... fucking terrible fruit things," Nate said. Seriously, what even was in these bastards?

"It's not even a nice day to go to the beach," Rocky said, looking out across the waves. "We should go back into town. I want to make some friends! I still haven't gotten to meet almost any of the other familiars yet."

"Look what a fan-fucking-tastic time we're having here, just the two of us. All alone out here, with no one to notice if some dickwad wanted to show up and punt us into the ocean like footballs."

"Or we could go to the colosseum. Silver said he wanted to train, but he was worried about fighting somebody too strong for him. Well, I'm not very strong yet, so maybe we could train together!"

That... actually wasn't the worst idea ever. "Maybe later," Nate said reluctantly. To the empty air and the cold rocks below, he said, "In the meantime, isn't it great that we get to enjoy this time all by ourselves, with no fucking interruptions at all? If someone did come and act all dickish, I would just be so fucking sad. Who knows? I might even fucking cry." He waved the bag of snacks over his head, just to make sure they were, like, super fucking visible. Come out, come out, wherever you are...

R7 - Astrid & Soda
  • TheGOAT

🗿
    Pronouns
    Him/his
    Partners
    1. serperior
    2. alolatales-goat
    Soda was so elusive that locating his contact info was a task in and of itself. At least, Astrid thought so. She would eventually find out that it was in her badge already, in the contacts list, just a few taps away. She missed Helli’s tech-savviness, dumb as he could be.

Soda was not her friend—she didn’t think?—so beginning this conversation was yet another uncomfortable task to be powered through.

Astrid said:
    [Cucumber > Soda]: Hi! Astrid Cucumber here

She’d never felt so silly after writing something before. Oh well. It was her name, apparently, and that meant it wasn’t going anywhere.

Astrid said:
    [Cucumber > Soda]: What ya up to?

Part of her wondered if he would answer at all. If not, she might have to skip him entirely…

R8: Icetales and Celeste Gaze at Stars
  • Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
    Pronouns
    She/Her
    Partners
    1. sylveon
    2. absol-mega
    3. silvally-psychic
    4. ninetales-phantump
    5. cosmog
    6. gallade-phantump
    7. ceruledge-phantump
    The winds on the beach were slower than their usual speed, having dropped to a mournful whistling, as if even the air itself was feeling the bitterness of the team's situation. With less wind to stir them up, the waves that usually crashed against the grey sands had relaxed to lapping gently against them, their ebb and flow making a gentle rhythm. The sounds of the wind and waves mingled into a pretty, but melancholic ambience.

The stars were clearly visible that night. Celeste was grateful for that, he had always found them a calming presence. The water, relatively still as it was, reflected the stars cleanly. It looked almost as if they had their own cosmos hidden in their depths, one galaxy watching from the sky, and another watching from the water.

It was, all things considered, a beautiful night for stargazing, especially considering what the weather on this beach could normally be.

R8 – Brisa & Saltriv at the Coast
  • unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
    Pronouns
    they/she
    Partners
    1. purrloin-salem
    2. sneasel-dusk
    3. luz-companion
    4. brisa-companion
    5. meowth-laura
    6. delphox-jesse
    7. mewtwo
    8. zeraora
    Brisa found herself at the beach while hardly realising. What was she even doing here? She'd... been walking for some time, in the dark of the early morning, weighing the thousand things already in her head with the latest additional bullshit Cibus had to offer her. She should be talking to someone. She should be doing something useful. She should–

She wasn't alone.

She turned, and saw the chikorita approaching. ...Saltriv. They'd been one of the loudest voices in the fight to save Sword. She'd barely said a word to them since they arrived. She gave the newcomer a nod of assent to their company, sat uneasily on her haunches and waited for them to approach.

Last edited:
    R8 - Astrid & Cynthian
  • TheGOAT

🗿
    Pronouns
    Him/his
    Partners
    1. serperior
    2. alolatales-goat
    A full day had passed since she was dismissed from the infirmary, and Astrid already felt like the world had passed her by. She didn’t have the willpower to confront Karat or the nerve to hypothesize who their moles might be—if they existed.

A walk. That was what she needed. It wasn’t going to clear her head, but it was a start. Doctor had said she needed the exercise.

I need all the exercise I can get, she lamented, if I’m gonna be fighting differently now. Nnnn…

R10 - Cuicatl and Valentina
  • Persephone

Infinite Screms
    Pronouns
    her/hers
    Partners
    1. mawile
    2. vulpix-alola
    There was nostalgia in this place. The gentle waves reminded her of Alola and Treasure Town. Places where she had begun to live new lives. Where she had made more friends than she'd ever before. She became a trainer and a dragon near beaches. It was a good place to pick heself up after a devastating loss. Hopefully.

"How are you holding up?" Val asked, even though she already knew the answer.

"Fine." The reply was terse. As expected.

"Your crush just died and you're fine?"

"She's not..."

"I can feel your heartbeat, y'know? And I have your memories.

"Her heart lies elsewhere."

"Yeah." Maybe for the best. She'd heard that you couldn't love someone else until you loved yourself and Cuicatl was still a long, long ways away from that.

"And she isn't dead. You can get her back. You just need to be strong enough..."

"You?" She had a terrible idea where this is going. "I'm not going anywhere without you. Physically can't."

"People are evolving again. It's time. I can surrender myself, give you the power-"

"Stop."

Cuicatl growled but didn't speak.

"I'm not real. You know that, right?"

"What?"

"I'm not... I don't really feel things. Love. Hate. Loss. I go through the motions. Talk to people. Fight gods. Whatever I'm supposed to do. But there's never really a reason. I just... drift. That's not real. None of it is. Just a mask. A shadow. You're the real one."

"No! You have everything together and I... I don't. If either of us is saving her--"

"It will be the one who cares enough to fight like hell. And... I said I'm not real, right? I meant it. Everything you think I am is just an illusion. A trick of the psychic light or something. I dunno. Metaphors are poetry and that's feeling. Your thing. Point is that you can't be real and perfect at the same time. You have to choose one."

Cuicatl lowered her head to the ground. After a long stretch of silent, Val laid hers down beside her twin's. "Listen," she whispered. "Just because you can't be perfect doesn't mean you can't be better. Lean into other people. Your roommates, your crush, your daughter. Whatever remains of me in your mind. Try to be a little bit better each day and eventually you can be real and very good."

"...it hurts," she whimpered. "I don't want to wait. I don't want to fight for it when I don't have the strength."

"Of course you have the strength," Val said. "You've taken things that would shatter anyone else and trudged through, bent but not broken. You've fought gods while blind. And if you need help, there will always be people to protect and refresh you."

"Fine." Cuicatl muttered. "Do it. Leave me. See if I care."

"Don't think I could leave you," Val said. "I'll always be at hand when you need me."

"That joke's terrible and you know it."

Val laughed. A throaty, screeching thing. Then she shook her head and nudged it into her sister's, giving her one last boost of confidence.

"Now go and show them how strong you really are."

She didn't really care about dying. Fading. Being subsumed. Whatever she wanted to call this. She wasn't made to care about things. But she did feel a hint of pride and a glimmer of hope. It was such a strange sensation for the moment it lasted.

Blinding light tore across the beach An already formidable fighter grew and grew, lifting into the air as power coursed through her. At last she shook the light off and roared. Children on the other side of town shivered in fright at the sound. In it was anger, heartbreak, defiance, joy.

Cuicatl Ichtaca opened her eyes.

Round 13 - [x] - (Melanie & Bahamut)
  • Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
    Pronouns
    He/Him/His
    Partners
    1. nidoran-f
    2. druddigon
    3. swellow
    4. quilava-fobbie
    5. sneasel-kate
    6. heliolisk-fobbie
    <><><>

In her free time since when she'd emerged from her Ultra Stone, Melanie had spent the time she'd spent apart from Kate wandering about Destiny Village and its environs to try to get to know them better. One of the places she'd stumbled on was the Southern Beach where the cold winds and water and gray sands had proven surprisingly charming to the Kyurem shade, but for one deficiency...

"Come on..."

The Kyurem shade breathed out a sharp puff of icy breath over the water, but much to her disappointment found that her body couldn't seem to channel the elements as well as she'd expected to. She had heard that Ultra Shades were supposed to not have the full strength of a Pokémon, but this was just ridiculous. She had been made in the image of Kyurem and she couldn't even make a few chunks of ice to better suit her liking?

The shade eventually decided that her efforts were perhaps wasting her time and energy and laid down against the sand, looking out at the water with a sullen scowl.

"I don't get it. How can using attacks be this hard when I'm not even trying to use it to attack anyone?"

R13 – Brisa & Lugia
  • unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
    Pronouns
    they/she
    Partners
    1. purrloin-salem
    2. sneasel-dusk
    3. luz-companion
    4. brisa-companion
    5. meowth-laura
    6. delphox-jesse
    7. mewtwo
    8. zeraora
    The pebble beach was a good place to brood. If you wanted to keep away from things for a bit, avoid half the team, get some time alone... Hard to go wrong with a forbidding location like this. Plus there were often storms. If Brisa ever really needed to let loose, she could probably duel one here.

Her mane crackled as she stared out to sea. The Treasure Town beach had reminded her that there were more places than home, and that they could be better, and free of resentment from others. This beach was a reminder that things wouldn't always be so idyllic.

But that was too sombre a tone for her current mood. She still had a lot to be grateful for – friends new and familiar, her combat-rich lifestyle, good meals. Just a lot on her mind.

Maybe a storm would come and she could scream lightning at it until the tension was gone.

[RD13] When Your Get Your Pet Rock Back (Nate and Rocky)
  • Negrek

Play the Rain
    Staff
    The weather was warming in Destiny Village, melting snow and setting trees and flowers to bud. The beach remained cold, though, and bleak, gusts of wind off the water cutting and chill. Nate picked his way over the rocks even more slowly than usual, wobbling unsteadily on his hind legs.

Despite the slow pace, Rocky trailed behind. The good mood he'd had in the forest had evaporated, and Nate didn't seem like he was any happier than ever, despite the evolution. Rocky wished Seyka could have come with them.

Nate came to a halt near the shore, just above where the waves darkened the rocks. There was no one out enjoying the beach on a gray, chilly day. Good.

The marshtomp turned back to Rocky and waited. It took a while for the familiar to approach, but Nate stayed where he was, unmoved. Rocky wouldn't meet his eye, examining the salt-crusted rocks instead.

"Well?" the familiar asked after a long, wave-washed silence. "You said you wanted to talk. Are you going to talk or not?"

"I dunno. Are we? You got something to say?"

"No." Rocky couldn't feel the wind, but he crossed his arms anyway, hunched like he was cold. "I already said everything I wanted to. You wanted to come out here. If you don't have anything to say, I'm leaving. I have things to do."

"Yeah? What things? What're you gonna do now, huh?"

Rocky managed to hunch further; his head might actually have drawn back a bit into his ethereal shoulders. "I have to go see Flesh," he muttered. "I was supposed to get him a tree. And I want to see how Cola is doing. Things like that."

"So that's it, huh? Everything back to normal now? Just forget like anything ever happened?"

Rocky's nostril's flared, and he glared at the horizon over Nate's shoulder, tail starting to flick back and forth. "Most people already came back. They took care of everything important."

"What about Deoxys?" Nate said. "Or Vix? I guess she just woke up, but--"

"I'm going to work on that, too! Just not right away. I just got back. Can't I have one day to relax before I have to worry about everything again? I just fell out of the sky, I still hurt."

Nate held up his hands. "Okay, yeah, I get it. You can take a break. I just want to make sure you got some kind of plan, since you know, people are kinda pissed--"

"I know! I know! I know!" Rocky balled his hands into fists, glaring down at Nate. "I know it was bad! I know people got hurt, and I'm stupid, and I should have listened and everything. You already told me! Everybody told me! I feel bad, okay? I feel really bad. And I'm never going to do anything ever again unless I get permission and make sure that everybody's okay with it and it could never go wrong, ever. Is that what you want?" Dark tears were gathering at the corner of Rocky's glowing eyes, but his expression remained fierce. "Why do you keep telling me these things? Do you just want to make me feel worse?"

Nate didn't say anything. Rocky's face contorted in a snarl. "That's it, isn't it? Well, forget about it! I already feel as bad as I can. You can't make me feel any worse. You're wasting your time!"

Nate took a step towards Rocky, and the familiar retreated, showing his teeth. Nate paused, then held out a hand. "Give me your core."

"Why?" Rocky's hand went unconsciously to his chest.

Nate glanced away, kicking at a rock by one of his feet, which threw him off balance for a second. "You're too big," he muttered. "And, like, squishy."

Rocky spent a long time considering, and Nate waited, silent, looking off across the beach. Finally the familiar pulled his core out of his chest and hesitantly deposited in Nate's waiting hand.

The marshtomp cradled the core between his hands, examining it silently. Then he pressed it against his chest, wrapping both arms around it and hugging it close. "Sorry," he muttered. "I ain't actually mad at you. You know that, right? I ain't trying... to make you feel bad. I'm trying to make sure you understand that you ain't actually invincible. And the people around you definitely ain't invincible. And most of the rest of the team, at least there's the Voidlands and all, but if you get dusted? Who the fuck even knows?" Nate sighed. "So just, like, don't, all right? I ain't mad, I promise. I just don't want nothing to happen to you."

Rocky was frozen in disbelief. After a moment he stammered, "I'm sorry, I..."

"You don't gotta be sorry. Really. You made it back okay. That's the important thing, you know?"

Rocky sniffled, then knelt down and, before Nate could figure out what he was doing, had pulled the marshtomp into a hug. Nate let him cling on and sob for a few moments before awkwardly working one arm free to wrap around Rocky's shoulder, the other keeping the familiar's core held tight against his chest. Rocky's ectoplasm was only barely warmer than the air around him, and Nate sank into it slightly, almost literally engulfed by the familiar's embrace, but he didn't make any attempt to pull away while the infernape stammered, "It was so scary. We should have been able to get away from that beam, or block it! What kind of thing is that strong, from that far away? It shouldn't exist! But when it was getting close, and I could almost feel it, and when I realized we weren't going to get away..."

"Yeah, it was scary," Nate said when the familiar didn't go on. "We all saw it, you know? Raven was broadcasting the whole thing. And when the picture cut out..." Nate let that thought hang there, tightening his grip on Rocky's shoulder.

"And before we left, nobody would say! Nobody would tell me why it was a bad idea!" Rocky sobbed. "They didn't know! They didn't know! They're all acting like it was obvious and dumb and we should have listened, but they didn't even know, they just had a bad feeling! How were we supposed to guess anything could hit us from that far away? Especially like that? It should have been fine!"

"I know, I know," Nate said. He tried to pat Rocky on the back, the familiar's ectoplasm sucking weirdly at his hand. "I get it. I'd have been pissed about that, too, if I'd've been there. But maybe the play was to take some time and try to figure out what kinda bad vibes they were picking up on instead of taking off right then to prove them wrong, you know?"

Rocky sniffled and pulled Nate closer. "Deoxys was so brave," he said, hiccuping. "He knew there was something scary up there. He didn't want to go. But he agreed to take us anyway. He trusted us not to... not to..." That really got him started again.

Nate didn't really know what to do except hang on and say whatever comforting thing came to mind. "It ain't all your fault," he muttered. "You're from my memories and all. And who you remember being ain't really who you are. The person you're based on--fuck, I'm sure a goddamn moon laser wouldn't even slow them down. You expect too much outta yourself, remembering being a person like that."

Rocky didn't say anything to that, but in time his sobs grew lighter, until at last he pulled away from Nate, curling his tail around himself and wiping at his face. The marshtomp kept Rocky core in hand, waiting for the familiar to make the next move.

"It is my fault," Rocky said at last, wiping the remains of gooey black tears from his face. "I could have decided to be anybody. I could have decided to be somebody who was actually smart."

"What, now, from what I remember, you're always showing me up. How many times I've said something ain't possible or don't work like that, and you've gone and proved me wrong, huh? Don't go thinking you're the dumbass in this group." He held Rocky's core out, and the familiar received it wordlessly, staring at it for long seconds before pressing it back into his chest.

"You do do stupid things," he said, his glowing stare suddenly accusatory. "And you were mean. Really mean. When everybody was mad at me, you didn't help."

"Yeah, I was... You know how I am."

Rocky frowned. "You remember what Mightyena said, don't you? About not being angry at people and saying bad things and then feeling bad about it later?"

"That was a long time ago, Kid."

Rocky's ear flicked, and he turned slightly, peering at Nate out of the corner of his eye. The marshtomp didn't react. "So what?" Rocky said.

"So obviously it didn't work out."

Rocky's eyes narrowed. "Did you even try?"

Ain't nobody around here worth trying for, was Nate's immediate, bitter thought, followed by a wave of horror and shame. Jesus, he was lucky Rocky wasn't in his head all the time like the other familiars. "I mean obviously, yeah," he said, trying to crush the feeling out of existence. Wherever the fuck that came from. "But--"

"No," Rocky said. "Not 'but.' You can't be mean to me anymore." Nate didn't say anything, wouldn't meet his eye. "You can't be mean to me," the familiar insisted.

"Yeah," Nate said at last. He didn't look up.

"And I'll try not to make fun of you so much, either." Rocky grinned. "It's too hard now anyway. You're not a mudkip anymore!" Nate didn't return his smile, but Rocky pressed on anyway. "Why do you think you evolved?"

"Fuck if I know. It don't make no sense. But then, when the hell does anything make any sense around here?"

"Well, probably you were pretty scared," Rocky said. "A lot of times pokémon evolve when they get stressed out."

"We been in how many fucking insane fights by now?" Nate said. "Like how about the time a bunch of people literally fucking died? I been plenty stressed, believe me, and it hasn't done shit. We fought that goddamn mewtwo before, too, it ain't even a mewtwo thing." He shook his head. "Nah. No fucking clue."

"But that means you can evolve!" Rocky said, eyes glowing bright. "You could be a swampert! And you could probably do all those cool Radiance tricks other people on the team can do! Maybe even, uh, whatever happened to Owen."

"Maybe," Nate said. He stared out over the ocean, and Rocky couldn't tell whether he was feeling thoughtful or sad.

"You can," Rocky said softly.

"Well," Nate said after a minute, "We probably oughta be getting back to town. I know you got a packed schedule and all."

"I have to say sorry to Karat," Rocky said with a grimace. "And see if there's anything I can do for Deoxys. What... what happened to him?"

"I dunno. I dunno if anybody does, really. He disappeared except for some kinda crystal thing. Karat seems to think he's gonna be like that for a long time."

"We have to get him back," Rocky said firmly. "There has to be some way to do it."

Nate smirked. "Yeah. It's fucking Cibus, ain't it? Raise his self-esteem or some shit. I'm sure he'll be fine."

Rocky giggled. After a moment he said, "Will you come with me? When I go talk to Karat? I think he's gonna be really mad."

"Of course," Nate said. "Whenever you're ready."

"Okay," Rocky said. He slumped back on the stony ground with a sigh. A familiar wouldn't really notice whether a place like this was comfortable or not, Nate thought. "Not yet," Rocky said decisively. "But soon. We have to go soon."

"Yeah," Nate said. He was happy to sit, too. Standing on two legs was goddamn tiring. Turned out he didn't really remember how to sit properly, neither. "Soon."

But neither of them made any move to go anywhere at all, not for a good long while.

<><><>​

R16 - Much Familiarity (Pleo and Polaris)
  • Ambyssin

Gotta go back. Back to the past.
    Pronouns
    he/him
    Partners
    1. silvally-dragon
    2. necrozma-ultra
    3. milotic
    4. zoroark-soda
    5. dreepy
    6. mewtwo-ambyssin
    With Bahamut off sulking — that was pretty much all he seemed to do in his spare time, even with newcomers — Polaris had decided to go to the beach. The only problem was that its body lacked much in the way of density. So, when it sank down to the water, it couldn't do much more than scratch the surface.

"... ah." It poked the water with its pom-poms. "Guess I'll just... float then."

[RD16] The Tide Goes Out (Nate, Rocky, and Ben)
  • Negrek

Play the Rain
    Staff
    The beach was actually kind of nice these days. A bit more sun, which brightened up even the bare rocks along the coast. And it was warm enough now that the cold wind coming off the water felt more refreshing than cutting. Even the water itself didn't feel quite so freezing.

Nate ventured in almost up to his knees, not that that was very deep at all. He could even see himself swimming, if the salt wouldn't burn his gills like hell. Not something he'd had a lot of interest in as a human, but surprise, surprise, it was somehow calming for a water-type.

Rocky was also wading around in the water, exclaiming over how he could feel how cold it was now. Making it real obvious how he'd never been anything like a proper fire-type.

He looked peaceful enough, sloshing around, and Nate hadn't been paying much attention to him, when suddenly the infernape turned around. "Hey, look!"

There was a pokémon out running along the beach. Something big, and fast. Nate squinted. An... arcanine?

"That's one of the Miracle Matters, isn't it?" Rocky said. "Come on, let's go say hi!"

R16 ~ Dill & Cal
  • Sudmensch

Professional Procrastinator
    Pronouns
    he/him
    The beach was quiet as Dill walked off the path, his tail dragging behind him as he looked around. Standing there for a moment, he took a breath before starting to make his way over to the water. He'd needed some time to himself for a while, and now was good a time as any.

[EPILOGUE] Shades of Regret (Nate, Rocky, and Owen)
  • Negrek

Play the Rain
    Staff
    By now, with Summer really in the air, walking along the beach was actually pleasant. Even if the wind and water were still cold. There were, in fact, even a few other pokémon out strolling along the water. Nate scowled at them and moved as far away as possible.

He ventured down the beach until every other wave was rushing up over his feet, bracingly cold. A little further and they were starting to batter at his chest, threatening to knock him over. The salt water wasn't kind to his gills, but it felt good to get a bit wet all the same. Stupid pokémon body. He didn't even know how to swim as a human.

But what he really wanted right now, even more than a good soaking, was a nap. He'd been out her since godawful o'clock in the morning, since Rocky had insisted on coming out here to watch Meringue's morning training with Lugia. The familiar, now that they'd done his thing, was standing a little behind Nate, dutifully letting the marshtomp do his own thing. The familiar was in ankle-deep but as usual seemed leery of the water, for all that his flames weren't real.

Something was bothering Nate about one of the rocks out in the deeper water. He stared at the dark mass, trying to figure out--was it just the rippling effect of the water, or had it moved? Actually, it was kind of a weird-shaped rock; too round, and those protrusions on the side, they actually looked like they could be... wings...

Oh no.

"Time to go!" he yelled. "Move it!"

"What's wrong?" Rocky asked as Nate ran, not very quickly, back up the slope of the beach. "Is there something out there?"

"Yeah, or someone. Come on, I've had enough of the fucking beach."

[EPILOGUE] The Tide Goes Out (Nake, Rocky, and Seyka)
  • Negrek

Play the Rain
    Staff
    "It's kind of weird that we end up on the beach all the time," Rocky said. "You never go to the beach in your world."

"Yeah. I dunno. Must be a water-type thing or something."

Lugia and Meringue had long since flown off to do lugia things somewhere else. More pokémon were starting to appear along the coastline, out for a morning swim or a run along the water's edge. Nate sighed and stretched out his legs, which were dangled over the edge of the cliffside. He had a feeling someone was going to try and get him moving soon.

"Ooh, look," Rocky said, shielding his eyes against the sun. "It's Seyka!"

"Where?" Nate craned his neck, searching.

"Come on, let's go see what he's doing!" Rocky said, jumping to his feet. "We haven't said goodbye yet. We can't leave without saying goodbye!"

And just like that, he was off. Nate sighed and pushed himself back to his feet. More goodbyes. But Rocky was right. They shouldn't skip an opportunity to get another one in.

Somewhere down on the beach Rocky was calling, "Seyka! Hey, Seyka!"

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom