• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Mystery Continent ~ Southern Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen nodded, sitting next to Dill. He towered over him, but seemed to be making an effort not to frighten anyone. He was probably used to his size by now.

"I think we'll make it. And even if we don't... Cibus is safe, at least. That's the important part." Though if the failed, the Blacklight could expand and become an even bigger threat...

Sudmensch

Professional Procrastinator
Pronouns
he/him
"I guess. As long as Cibus makes it out, right? So long as this all wasn't for nothing," Dill nodded, eyeing Owen's enormous stature with a bit of nerve. "Either way, well... you know, what happens after's been eating me up. I don't know what to expect. Like, Sal's told me things'll work out, but you know, they tend to be... a bit optimistic? I don't know. You think I'll just stay here, go back and possess my friggin' corpse, or just get sent to distortion?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen frowned, thoughtful. "Well, I think if you really did die, and Diyem took you after that, then you'd probably return to whatever astral plane you're supposed to go to afterward... You can always ask him. He kinda doesn't tell people things if they don't bother asking..."

Sudmensch

Pronouns
he/him
"But I don't want to-" Dill stopped himself, giving a long sigh. "W-would it be possible to just... stay on Cibus I mean, yeah, Sal and Shiron and everyone would leave, but... yeah. It'd be better than distortion, I'll guess."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen frowned, thoughtful. "There are a lot of people who would prefer to stay, I think. Lives that are better here than there, even if there are people they'd leave behind, but..." He sighed, pensive. "I don't think Diyem's allowed to do that. He might get in trouble with Overseers. More than he probably already is, at least..."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Never say never," Owen said gently, bringing his tail around Dill, not touching him, but at least showing that he had someone there for him. "I've... lost a lot of people in the past, but there's always a chance to see them again, one way or another. If you choose to, at least. And hey, if you're dead... They'll probably be looking for you when they eventually pass, wouldn't they?" He tilted his head.

Sudmensch

Pronouns
he/him
Dill was quiet for a while.

"I... guess..." he said quietly. "A-and Sal... I hope they at least remember me. I don't know if we'll see each other after this, but... you know. It was nice while it lasted, I guess."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"It was," Owen agreed, nodding. "But when we first came here, we knew it was all going to be... temporary. I'm enjoying myself when I can." He sighed, looking across the sea, then at Cal, who seemed transfixed at something about Owen. "How are you doing, Cal?"

"I, uh--nothing. It's fine." She looked away. "Just gonna miss you. Nothing new."

Owen smiled sadly, nodding. "Guess we all have our goodbyes... But hey. We still need to keep our spirits up for one more fight!"

Sudmensch

Pronouns
he/him
"Yeah. Even if I just die once this is all done, at least it won't be for nothing. At least someone will remember me, right?" Dill asked, straightening up. "Best I can do for everyone I've met is make sure all that was for a good ending."

He gave a bittersweet crocodile smile to himself.

"Heh. At the very least, Rye would be proud if he knew."

Sudmensch

Pronouns
he/him
"Alright. I think I will if I get the chance," Dill nodded. With a last nod at the giant Charizard, the Feraligatr stepped into the water and flipped onto his back, floating in the water as he stared up at the sky and considered.

Perhaps he was on borrowed time. Perhaps he'd never see Saltriv again. Perhaps the horrified face of Rye was the last he would ever see of his world. But... well. At least he would go down either having saved this world or fighting for it. That was definitely a better final hurrah than just dying from horrific timing.

Despite everything, Dill was satisfied in that, at least.

<><><>​

[EPILOGUE] Shades of Regret (Nate, Rocky, and Owen)

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
By now, with Summer really in the air, walking along the beach was actually pleasant. Even if the wind and water were still cold. There were, in fact, even a few other pokémon out strolling along the water. Nate scowled at them and moved as far away as possible.

He ventured down the beach until every other wave was rushing up over his feet, bracingly cold. A little further and they were starting to batter at his chest, threatening to knock him over. The salt water wasn't kind to his gills, but it felt good to get a bit wet all the same. Stupid pokémon body. He didn't even know how to swim as a human.

But what he really wanted right now, even more than a good soaking, was a nap. He'd been out her since godawful o'clock in the morning, since Rocky had insisted on coming out here to watch Meringue's morning training with Lugia. The familiar, now that they'd done his thing, was standing a little behind Nate, dutifully letting the marshtomp do his own thing. The familiar was in ankle-deep but as usual seemed leery of the water, for all that his flames weren't real.

Something was bothering Nate about one of the rocks out in the deeper water. He stared at the dark mass, trying to figure out--was it just the rippling effect of the water, or had it moved? Actually, it was kind of a weird-shaped rock; too round, and those protrusions on the side, they actually looked like they could be... wings...

Oh no.

"Time to go!" he yelled. "Move it!"

"What's wrong?" Rocky asked as Nate ran, not very quickly, back up the slope of the beach. "Is there something out there?"

"Yeah, or someone. Come on, I've had enough of the fucking beach."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
It was too late; Nate had already been spotted and his fate was sealed. The rock figure moved and the water rippled, parting ways in a deafening roar and downpour. Salt water sprinkled all over the pair as the sun eclipsed from the leviathan's sheer mass. It sailed over them and landed heavily in the sand, sinking several feet deep, and even that wasn't enough to so much as partially bury it. He had only landed up to his lower shins.

"Nate!" Owen boomed with a smile. "Enjoying the summer weather?"

Steam radiated off of his scales as the flame on his tail sputtered back to life. All around Owen, plants were starting to grow.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Nate ducked his head, shielding himself with his hands as Owen soared up and over, showering him with water. Rocky laughed with delight. "Hi, Owen!" He waved, then caught sight of the look on Nate's face. "Oh."

"Hey, Owen," Nate said uneasily. He exchanged a worried glance with Rocky. "Yeah, sure. Summer heat and all, who doesn't love that?"

Rocky sidled a little closer to Nate, hugging his bag close. Despite his nerves, though, he was obviously intrigued by the sprouting plants.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Well, I guess Ice Pokemon wouldn't," Owen figured, glancing back at Destiny Village. "But even then, it's still pretty cold here, so that's probably tolerable even here... Are you doing alright?" He looked Nate over, then eyed the bag with another tilt of his head.

Compared to a few weeks ago, Owen looked a lot more cheerful. But at the same time, a looming shadow appeared over his shoulder, staring at Nate. "Is that your Shadow in your bag?" Wishkeeper asked immediately.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
"I mean, sure, I'm fine," Nate said. "We beat the Blacklight thing and all, so that's great. Not much else go--"

He jumped when Wishkeeper reared up from behind Owen, focused unnervingly on Nate. "No." Oh, god, Rocky's face was probably giving it away, wasn't it? He couldn't turn to look, but he knew Rocky must look like someone had caught him with his hand in the cookie jar. "Uh, I mean, my shadow? No? Why would you think that?"

Something did appear to be moving under the fabric of Nate's bag, although Rocky swung it around so his body was between it and Owen. Wishkeeper would be able to hear someone sniffling...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom