• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

BossCar

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/His

Musée d'Illumis

One-Shot
Rating: T
Genre(s): Slice of Life, Friendship, Romance, and Fluff
Musée d'Illumis ranks as one of the most famous museums in the world. For an art lover like Valen, visiting it again while in Kalos is a must. He’s also half Kalosian so it’s a fitting place to be reminded of his contest proficiency.

No heavy concrit and would prefer to know what I did right.
This work is set in-between Identity and There's No Better Team.

I don't use nicknames because the longfics have big casts. There are no nicknames here either, but you don't really see the cast's Pokemon in this one.

If you're interested in looking up the real artists that are referenced, use the lone name they're referred to as for a search. For these Pokémon world counterparts, I keep the name they're most known by/referred to as and change the rest. The changes can range from very similar names to completely different names. (There is one artist name that isn't a reference in here)

Art, history, culture, and society. When they fuse, the universal quadfecta emerges from the clouds. The Kalos region is a beacon of said quadfecta, the shining success of Lumiose City emitting it towards everybody. Long romanticized as La Ville da L'amour and La Ville Lumiére, it's hard not to fall in love when feeling the light the megacity sparks in someone, be it in person, painting, or photograph.

An aerial view will reveal more than just the modern juggernauts that form the skyline. It'll show the simplistic elegance of classical-style architecture merging with the rugged stones of Ancient Siscian budlings, the foreboding arches and spirals of Gothic, and the extravagance and ornamentation of Art Nouveau. Swoop down and witness the ocean of locals and tourists going about their day with Pokémon by their side. A few stop to witness a Glaceon on its hind legs, the preciousness of its grin too much for its trainer to say no to a necklace.

Multiple big name fashion and accessory brands have repurposed eighteenth-century buildings into grand stores with eye-catching displays of clothes, accessories, and jewelry. Guzmani, Grimsley Lauren, Wallace Kors, Valerie Versace, name it and it's packed with eager customers. Before or after that, you can stop by one of the many restaurants. Perhaps you need a moment to take in the scrimptions smell of pizza or garlic bread fresh from the oven. Maybe you're daring enough to try the Tamato pepper dishes at the world's spiciest restaurant—be sure to have a Water-type on hand unlike the unlucky fellow running towards his younger brother's Squirtle.

In addition to its fine architecture, this megacity has been the birthplace of artistic movements. It's also the home of famous art museums, the biggest of them all being the Musée d'Illumis, or the Lumiose Museum. Pokémon Trainers who practice the preforming arts flock here to bask in the immense popularity of the Pokémon Contest. Perhaps it's even an understatement to say it's immensely popular—it's not uncommon for the excitement surrounding Pokémon Contests to blindside coordinators like a powerful whirlwind.

That's the case with one trainer and coordinator, a young man with slightly messy black hair, who's not here for a tournament or a contest. Musée d'Illumis is across the road but alas, the winds of fate have left him in a surreal state and his Typhlosion grinning with pride. His attire may be black and gray but his colorful performances still rings in the mind of his mother's birthplace.

"I…can't believe it," he remarks to his Typhlosion. "First Hoenn…now Kalos."

Teens, middle-aged adults, young adult couples, people from different walks of Kalosian life are ecstatic over the return of Valen, better known in coordinator circles as Le Moissonneur Noir. The Team Skull logo on the back of his jacket must've given it away while he wasn't looking—he's kinda the lone Mightyena in that regard.

He shouldn't be surprised by the crowd, Valen thinks. Kalos and Unova have his biggest fanbases outside his home region of Calvana. Their Pokémon range from a Froakie belonging to a new trainer to a Flygon owned by a Dragon Tamer. There are even numerous specimen of the Bagon, Ralts, Gastly, and Shinx families scattered about. That can't be a mere coincidence…can't it?

His cousin, Jacques, has been a pro in this situation from the start. Just about everything he learned as a coordinator and performance battler was learned from Jacques. He further learned how to keep it classy to the core by watching Jacques—it added on to the mannerisms of a gentleman that dad taught him.

His Typhlosion nudges his right hand and goes down onto all fours. She happily pants like a no puppy and he knows what she wants. He begins to pet her and she tries to lick his hand. She's a kicked butt so she can lick his other hand. He ended up battling in the first place because Rosa and Hilda are far too powerful—they really wanted him to join the fun.

Valen takes a deep breath and smiles. "I've gotta keep it classy." He pats Typhlosion's head upon feeling a nuzzle. "Good girl."

He joins Jacques in taking photos with the crowd but it's kinda odd that he wears full suit outfits like casual clothes. It's all good plus it's his choice.

Valen's glad that this happened outside of Stade du Cœur Héroïque, or Heroic Heart Stadium. Before he ventured into one of the grandest art museums in the world, he wanted to marvel at this lovely example of Renaissance architecture and its massive done. Fabiano Brunelleschi and his two Alakazam designed it the 1400s on behalf of King Azor XII—the famous dome of Florentine Hall mesmerized the king like a Hypnosis attack.

If that wasn't enough, he can look up and study the imposing sculpture of AZ II. It's a replica of what King Azor XII commissioned Donatello Bezio, another Ragulian Renaissance giant, to create. The figure points like he's giving a command and a plaque in front of his feet informs everyone that the original is in Musée d'Illumis.

"We got a tad swamped, didn't we?" Jacques rubs his shoulder-length, black hair. "You did good." He pats Valen's shoulder. "Keep it up and you'll shine like the sun once more."

Valen's eyes light up and they briefly embrace. He needed to hear that—he's gotta learn to stop undervaluing himself. Easier said than done but he'll keep trying.

The shops around them have been in business since the eighteenth century. Melanie's gone to look for attire, whereas Rosa and Hilda wanted to check out goods decorated with reproductions of art. Specifically, they're looking for anything with famous Kalosian art like Neville Poussin's classical-like presentations and Caldre Monet's aquatic landscapes.

Nevermind, Hilda just jumped onto his back and nearly made the two of them tumble into the grass. Good thing her Emboar's carrying the shopping bags to the luxury sedan Jacques borrowed from Uncle Claude.

"Aieeeeeeee, I didn't mean for that to happen!" Hilda's face reddens and she shuts her eyes. "I'm such a klutz!"

"You're my favorite klutz." He catches a glimpse of his Typhlosion chatting it up with Charizard and Emboar. "Better?"

"Better." Hilda kisses the back of his head. "I can live with that."

Instead of her usual white top, Hilda's wearing a pink top with Viva La Kalos written on the front. Still goes well with her black waistcoat but that's to be expected from his amazing goddess. She's the one who put a modern spin on musicals, a performing arts that had already been experiencing a revival before they were born.

Speaking of which, here comes his other amazing goddess and her Serperior. Rosa's chosen to stick to her classic casual style of a white top and black leggings. All by Grimsley Lauren, Unova's premier fashion brand. Rosa's the spiritual successor of the great painting masters and nobody can change his mind. Since he's obviously Hilda and Rosa's top fanboy, he's gotta keep hyping them up.

Rosa tilts her head back and places her palms under her chin. "I got several fans into Titian through my painting videos!" She closes her eyes. "Kyaaaaa, this is sooooooo awesome!" She giggles at Serperior's happy squealing.

"Hehe, Rosa and I give free smiles from sunrise to sunset." Hilda's right hand is in front of her silly grin. "But the sun never sets when we're around."

"Interesting." Valen taps his chin. "I could've sworn that the reason why the sun sets is because it's jealous of you gorgeous masterpieces." A kiss to the lips from Hilda is a lovely response.

"Tee-hee, he got us." Rosa kisses him twice and wags a finger at Hilda. "I have to return the favor and prove that I'm a better queen than you."

"Hehe, you can't catch me~."

Rosa and Hilda gaze at the sculpture while he spots Calem and Serena heading their way. There there's one more but-Melanie just jumped onto his back.

Melanie and Serena are wearing matching black tops with a image of Prism Tower on the front, plus Melanie's also donning her usual jean jacket. Calem must've gotten roasted for sticking to his red cap and blue outfit but it's all in good fun. In any case, Calem really likes the replica Donatello sculpture.

"Aren't you forgetting something?" Serena inquires with a playful, prideful smile. "Maybe a certain greeting for your fashion queen friends?"

Valen bows and kisses Melanie's right hand, then he kisses Serena's left hand. He would save this for just Rosa and Hilda but they don't want him to decline. Not that he minds doing this for close friends—who cares what others think when it makes them happy?

"That's more like it." Melanie winks and flicks his forehead. "Maybe you should've thought twice years ago."

"I keep it classy and I play by my own rules." He gives Rosa and Hilda a thumbs up. "With approval from the proper people, of course."

It was once common courtesy to kiss a woman's hand as a greeting. Was the past sunshine and Shinx? Absolutely not. But he's a romantic at heart, one who's bringing the Renaissance back.

…That sounds cooler when he doesn't mentally say it to himself. Whatever, it's more important to set a good example and be a good model. Don't withhold sincere compliments about appearance but remember that beauty comes from the mind and heart.

Activity buzzes within the marble walls of the Renaissance-like museum's lobby. The front desk, the chairs, the tables, all of it is made of sandstone. If it looks like a living room to any of the visitors, it's because it was a living room of a modest but massive villa at one point. Once more, contest fans have noticed his presence. They remain quiet out of respect to the museum's staff and visitors but their smiles are visible. Jacques, Rosa and Hilda's fans have also spotted them but their fanbases are heavily intertwined with his fanbase.

Several visitors ask the receptionist about the Mona Gardevoir's location. A group of women around their ages ask about the original Donatello sculpture of AZ II and Rembrandt's paintings. An older couple requests the location of the museum's watercolors and drawings and a known manuscript historian wants to show his kids the varied collection housed here.

"Been too long," Valen comments. "But we're back."

They'll get to the Ragulian and Kalosian paintings eventually—first up is the Northern section. Alkmaardam, Vlaander, and Ziegler make up the majority of the paintings here. Slices of Galar and Nordica are also here and the smaller Paldean section is close by.

The Mona Gardevoir aside, several of the world's most iconic Gardevoir paintings are housed here and they've all played a role in painting the personality of Valen's own Gardevoir. All expect one are in the Ragulian painting section—the oldest one's right in front of him.

Elegance and harmony shine like gemstones in Jorgel van Eyck's Singing Gardevoir. The elegant Pokémon stands in the middle, mesmerizing the forest's Pokémon with her mellisonant voice. Dance until dawn or dusk, which one will the Pokémon select? Can the Kricketune falling for Gardevoir impress her back?

Painted in 1430, the verisimilitude of the work shows van Eyck's mastery with oil paints. A recurring misconception about van Eyck invented oil painting says a lot doesn't it? Even if that isn't true, the guy sure as heck perfected it. The painters of the Vlaander region were creating such photogenic images with oil well before the Ragulians. Mom told him that he wouldn't understand the development of Western art if he didn't factor in the Northern Renaissance.

The greatest master of the Zieglerian Renaissance is most famous for his prints but one shouldn't be fooled—Adalbert Dürer was also a talented painter and an early master of watercolors. His lifelike self-portrait as AZ XIV proves his talent. One look at Flygon, Altaria, and Salamence will further prove his genius—Dürer combined two mediums on poplar. Such a vibrant sky, such loving detail equally spread between the three dragons.

He continues down the isle with the crew, admiring works like a panting of Zygarde by Ludwig Cranach the Elder and a few portraits by Heinrich Holbein the Younger. Eventually, they reach his personal favorite portrait painter, Sir Arnold van Dyck.

A Man with Mew has a rather peculiar story behind it, making it his favorite among the twenty present. The long-haired man in the portrait is Sir Henry Hawksworth, a diplomat and passionate lover of the art. He looks like he's about to pop out of painting with that Mew. Giant marble sculptures of Zacian and Zamazenta provide an imposing background. Surely something so lifelike must have been there in person, right? Not quite and it's a rather amusing story.

"Hey, what's the story behind this one?"

Should he take Calem up on this? He won't sound pretentious…will he? ..No, this shouldn't be happing. He shouldn't be thinking this way…so why does this happen?

"Show us what you got," Serena adds, rubbing his forehead. "I want a crash course on Baroque fashion."

"Rosa already gave you one," Calem points out. "Why-"

"I want one from him too." Serena eyes another van Dyck painting. "I forgot how glamorous this Galarian princess looks in her gown."

Valen chuckles with Melanie, his gaze directed towards the mischievous expressions of Rosa and Hilda. It'd be rude not to answer Calem and he can't say no to fine ladies like Melanie and Serena. And while his cousin's chosen to remain quiet, he already knows what Jacques is thinking.

"…Alright." He takes a deep breath. "Henry Hawksworth wanted a Mew in the photo—he thought such a presentation would impress the court of King Galahad I." His gaze darts back towards the Alkmaardian section and he points to a history painting of Galar's heroic duo by Rembrandt. "Hawksworth picked Mew because he wanted loosely depicted as Alberion, one of the two heroes in Galarian history. Alberion had also befriended a Mew, hence why one was added."

Calem fist bumps Valen and vice-versa. "It worked perfectly and I learned something new."

Serena pats Calem's back over a job well done, whereas Melanie pulls Valen down to kisses the top of his head.

"That's the platonic life partner I know and love." Melanie holds up the sapphire with Samurott engravings attached to her diamond-lace necklace. "You may have romantic relationships but not once have I ever felt neglected by you."

Rosa and Hilda are now where the Rembrandt paintings are, their loving glances directed in Valen's directions. Their mouths curl upwards with pride and their eyes gleam like their own necklaces. He walks over to embrace them, receiving their signature sandwich hug in return.

Melanie joins them her favorite among the Rembrandt paintings being Forest Guardian. It's a neat piece that features an elderly sage and a Noctowl, a forest hidden by the darkened, brown backgroundoften seen in Rembrandt's work. His favorite among the multiple works present is Landscape with Regidrago. The scene is a rugged, rocky terrain with a grassland in the distance. A lone Corviknight flies over the grassland, whereas Regidrago itself is front and center with its body slightly turned right.

Several of Rembrandt's portraits, including a self-portrait, show just how adept the great master was at oil painting. He captured the texture of the skin with such realism and minute detail, his versatility equal to his fellow leading painter from Vlaander.

"I've gotta lead the way to Rubens, don't I?"

"That's right." Melanie winks. "You're going to be reminded how much you're cherished and you'll like it."

The most popular of the museum's Vlaandish paintings, and arguably the entire section overall, is the room with a series of twenty one paintings by Sir Patrick Pierre Rubens. Three rows of seven paintings represent the histories of Kalos, Galar, and Paldea respectively. Significant events in each region's respective history were chosen for the subjects. There are multiple other great works by Rubens here but in his opinion, this trio of rows represents the artist's greatest triumph.

The Kalos row starts off with A Casualty of War and Rebellion Against the Tyrant. Both showcase of how tragedy can drive somebody mad and how Rubens' busy style of painting can excellently capture such a moment. In the former, the crowd is packed within the frame. So packed it is that slightly obstructs the ancient predecessor of Lumiose City in the background. The people have gather to mourn the loss of Floette and two soldiers have to pull a grieving AZ away to commence a proper royal burial. However, a closer look at AZ's teary face reveals the first signs of hatred. His mouth is clenched, the sadness masking the growing bloodlust.

That bloodlust would lead to the events shown in the later painting. The same crowd in the first painting shove each other as they flee for their lives. AZ's forces have split into two factions, rebels on the left and loyalists on the right. The next one, The Weapon Unleashed, shows what madness can bring upon the land—the blast is vaporizing the area surrounding the weapon.

"They never cease to pack a punch," Jacques remarks. "I remember when you looked overwhelmed by Rubens the first time you saw his works."

"Eh, it happens." Valen shrugs. "Rubens can take some getting used too."

Even Galar's Darkest Day, which is the first one in its respective row, serves as a reminder. You can't see Eternamax Eternatus but its ominous shadows cloaks over the ancient architecture under pitch-black darkness, like a black hole has sucked the light of hope away. People are frantically fleeing upon the appearance of a Gigantamax Gengar and a Gigantamax Grimmsnarl.

Another one among the best examples of Rubens' extravagant movements is The Battle at Northbourne Hill, a chaotic depiction of a chaotic period in Galarian history. Both the Swords of Tudor and the Shields of York believed that their respective heirs, Roger York and Mordred Tudor, had the rights to the throne. The two opposing factions embarked on this decisive conflict in 1484, leading to the reign of King Mordred VI.

Closest to the viewer is a dramatic display of sheer bravado. Mordred Tudor, his Arcanine, and his Flygon dispatch soldier after soldier as they lunge for Roger York, who's surrounded by a squadron of Obstagoon. York's men try to intervene but are forcefully pushed back by a sudden influx of Tudor loyalists led by Sir Richard Beckett, Earl of Wedgehurst. Beckett's legion of Corviknight ensnare another faction of York loyalists, the aerial warriors ripping off their armor and striking them with their beaks.

"And now for a dose of Paldea."

Much like AZ centuries before, King Zifar has grown so detested that in 1022, the Paldean Revolution broke out while he was away in search of treasures. The voyage back is the subject of The Anger of Chien-Pao and Chi-Yu, which kicks off the Paldea row. The oblivious king dons a tunic lavishly decorated with lapis lazuli. He rides on a giant, alternated color Cyclizar. His guards ride on normal Cyclizar, lugging along said Chien-Pao and Chi-Yu. They've been neutralized and placed an ominous black cage but resentment of these unfortunate specimen emits a dark aura unseen by the king and his guards. It ensnares wooden tablets and a cauldron, Rubens having chosen to show the very moment Wo-Chien and Ting-Lu came into existence.

Perhaps the legend of misfortune came true with what's depicted in The Arrival of the Decetines. He can hear the thundering of Mudsdale hooves as the soldiers storm in, overshadowing the cries of Flygon and Talonflame belonging to the leader of the rebels. He was a savvy man who struck a deal with the Decentine emperor in order to end Zifar's tyrannical regime.

Rosa can chat with her second cousin, Nemona, for hours and hours. She's heard a lot of stories about academy life and loves the lengthy history—it's why her favorite in the entire room is The Opening of Naranja Academy. It's not a chaotic or somber scene but the crowd's so packed that they might burst out of the picture. It's more zoomed out to accommodate the masterpiece of Gothic architecture.

Rosa decides to step out of the room to wave at the Caravaggisti paintings—she considers herself to be a contemporary Caravaggisti.

Melanie and Serena are debating the attire worn by the queens of the Galar and Kalos respectively—the eight work for each row shows the crowning of the queen who ruled at the time. Outside of the room, Hilda eagerly scan the dozens upon dozens of landscape paintings, the artists ranging from the famous Rembrandt to the lesser known talents like Johannes Hobbema. The images range from farming villages the sea to the vast countryside with only Pokémon in sight.

Jacques' attention has been drawn to Lacemaker with a Beautifly and Scholar with a Gallade, two paintings by Jasper Vermeer. Calem and Serena are checking out the eighteenth-century paintings, meaning the nineteenth century has been left for Melanie and him to tackle.

"Teamwork's on point."

One of the museums' most famous nineteenth-century paintings Klaus Spitzweg's Dr. Heath Henwood from 1850. His left side faces the as he stands in a lush grassland, the bush behind him as tall as he is. In Heath's hand is a first edition copy of his work, the Scarlet & Violet Book. A Roaring Moon hovers above him, a Slither Wing and a Brute Bonnet in front of his feet.

This famous researcher was sixty-five years old when it was painted. He had, and would continue to, become extremely influential on many of the most prominent researchers of the nineteenth century. Cedrick Darwin, Charles Laventon, Elizabeth Juniper, Pierre Gachet, the list goes on.

His personal favorite here is Theodore Gainsborough's A Sea in Kalos, a superb example of Romanticism landscape painting. Gainsborough was the man in Galar in his day and he remains one of the giants of Galarian art. Another giant of Galar, Jackson Matthew William Turner, has a lone work depicting Azure Bay here. It's a sketch-like, potentially piece that doesn't have much clarity but it's probably a form of experimentation by the artist.

While he is a big fan of Turner, he prefers the Gainsborough by a large margin. The crystalline clarity of the soothing, beautiful sea as it calmly rests under the arrival of dawn makes it one of the most beautiful Galarian landscapes of all time.

It's been a while since Melanie's seen the Nordican paintings—she wasn't able to come along the last time he went to Kalos. She was born in Nordica but had spent the majority of her life in Calvana. She moved to Angel City seventeen years ago and they've been friends for the same amount of time.

"These two are still my favorite."

She's pointing towards Casper Hansen's Eevee Playing With Dice and Carl Erik Larsen's Sailing Boats in Azure Bay. Like many Nordican artists of the region's Golden Age, these two artists hailed from Køpen Province.

In Hansen's work, the setting's an exterior staircase leading to a building that's furthest from the boys and Pokémon. Two Eevee jump in excitement as two of the three young boys go about their game, whereas two more Eevee lay on their back awaiting their belly rubs. Larsen's work is like a serene view seen from a comfy residence near the sea. Two ships head to port in the distance and three Wingull fly over a pair of Milotic.

"If I go to Nordica again, will you come this time?"

Valen blinks, then his smile returns. "I can't say no to you, can I?"

Melanie tilts her head towards four stunning landscapes by his favorite Galarian landscape painter, Jack Constable. The gleam in her eyes speaks a thousand works and they all relate to her adoration and support for him.

The museum's collection of Ragulian paintings has ranked as one of the finest—it all started with Azor XII and his son, Fleury I. Fleury I had a huge appetite for the Ragulian great masters. Of course, Kalosian paintings caught up to this marvelous collection overtime.

Giotto beckons to both Rosa and him—they are especially fond of the three Giotto paintings in the museum that depict famous moments in classical literature. He uses this chance to pull Rosa closer to him and she throws her arms around him.

They start with Tritos Debating with an Alakazam, which dates back to the year 1299. Tritos is the protagonist of Our Republic by Platonius, a work that discusses the ideal city-state. This painting depicts the scene where he accepts a challenge to debate this Alakazam, said to be the smartest living being in the land. As per the norm with Giotto, horizontal lines are weaved into the background to direct the viewers eyes to the main focus.

Many other Proto-Renaissance paintings line these walls, their subject matters ranging from AZ's descent into tyranny and other famous works of classical literature like Latias and Latios from Heroes.

The Renaissance as it's best known today began in the 1400s but the lifelike potential of oil painting didn't show up for while, arguably not until artists like Perugino, Botticelli, Mantegna, and Leonardo. Jacques is checking out the works by Perugino, Melanie and Serena been drawn to Botticelli, and Calem went ahead towards Leonardo's Florges in the Garden.

Rosa and Hilda have made their way towards Antonio Mantegna's Adoration of the Espeon. The happily jumping quintets of Espeon and Eevee are as adorable as their grins. His personal favorite among the museum's Mantegna paintings is A Better Trainer. A young man holds a crying Eevee in his arms while his wife looks on in proud adoration. The source of the subject is Dante's La Nuova Vita di un Pokémon.

"
Good thing I got him reading Dante, isn't it?"

"A valid argument, signorina."

He looks back at Melanie and Jacques with a smirk, earning himself a flick from Melanie for some reason. He then browses along, admiring the other works by the aforementioned Prospero Perugino and additional greats like Salvator Botticelli and Francesco Lippi. The motifs range from Xerneas and Yveltal to portraiture of royal families.

His personal favorite among the Botticelli paintings is Shaymin, the Gratitude Pokémon. Here, Shaymin hovers above a garden of Graceida flowers as a Kricketune caresses the air with a melody. Another Shaymin stays on the ground and dances to the tune.

In addition to Florges in the Garden, six Leonardo paintings are housed here, the most paintings by the artist in any museum. The most popular painting in the museum is among the six—it's been a while since Valen's seen the Mona Gardevoir in the flesh. Thankfully, there's still room among the crowd's that gathered around it.

That cocky and playful smirk, the folded arms pose, the titled head, his Gardevoir wanted to be as cool as Leonardo's Gardevoir, immortalized through Leonardo's most famous painting. The lovely hills and river in the background showcases Leonardo's excellent naturalism but Florentine City is chilling past the natural scenery. The massive dome of Florentine Stadium pokes the sky deep in the background, leading art historians to believe that Gardevoir's silently bragging that she just won a tough battle.

When his Gardevoir was a Ralts, she was shy. She retained some of that shyness when she evolved but not for long. She became cocky and devious as a Kirlia, to the point where Melanie called her a "yandere-like" Pokémon. One day, she caught a glimpse of the Mona Gardevoir in a book of his and was mesmerized by it.

To his right, Rosa and Hilda's attention have been captured by Portrait of an Arcanine. Rolling hills race the majestic canine, who looks like it's about to leap out of the painting. It bears its fangs but it's more of a show in pride. As per the norm with Leonardo, the smallest details are detailed down to the the bone.

Leonardo utilized a tedious process of applying thin layer after layer of translucent color. In his opinion, the effect of this technique is best seen in Dialga and Palkia on the Rocks. Leonardo has managed to make it seem like the masters of time and space are emitting their powerful light. The rocky precipice that towers above the dragons, the rough surface under Dialga's feet, the calm water under Palkia's feet, it's all been giving a detailed, textured appearance.

The crowd around the Mona Gardevoir, Adoration of the Eevee, Rayquaza Above the Mountains is also growing. It's on to his favorite of the trinity. Rosa's unstoppable, time-bending energy has ensured that only a few seconds later, she's right besides him.

It just so happens that Motherly Gardevoir is among the museum's twelve Raphael paintings. The bedridden trainer isn't doing so hot but his Gardevoir won't leave his side. She caresses his right cheek and her loving gaze could ease even the most troubled of minds.

His own Gardevoir's motherly side flickers on without a second thought. If he's super nervous, she'll hum the same lullaby his mom hummed when he was little. Bedtime? Heh, not without a goodnight kiss. He doesn't need to be tucked in? Too bad, she might try to do it if he's asleep.

Rosa's been pulled in by the rest of the Raphael paintings, whereas another giant beckons to him. Off he goes but not before acknowledging said Raphael paintings and paintings by other artists.

Gardevoir appears again thanks to The Warrioress Gardevoir by Titian, a man who's the eternal king of Altomarian painting. This particular painting played a role in why he wanted his own Gardevoir. This Gardevoir's pose is graceful and combative, her psychic powers slightly rippling her gown Her fluid and precise movements resemble that of a dancer but a Moonblast is being concocted. As per the norm from Titian and his contemporaries, the picture is presented with a striking harmony of rich colors.

In both classical literature and reality, the legendary Achilles of Syramos believed that he had only one proper rival. This equal of his is embarking on a triumphant charge towards victory in Titian's Champion Odysseus and One Hundred Trainers. Thanks to the fluid movements, Odysseus' Articuno is depicted as blowing away the competition with relative ease. Odysseus himself is even yawning from a spontaneous case of boredom.

He'll return to Titian with Rosa and Hilda later on. For now, Rosa and him will join Calem in checking out Yveltal Punishes the Vile by Pietro Veronese. Their eyes lining up with the bloodlust bursting out from Yveltal's expression, the avian unleashing his army of Hydreigon. It would be easy to believe that it's only a depiction from Comfort & Vengeance. However, the Battle at Santalune is one of the incidents in the epic that's confirmed to have occurred.

A once thriving forest has already been wiped out by AZ's firing of the weapon, meaning that the merciless avian can exact his revenge for the trampling of Xerneas' gift to the world. Several fallen men lie on the ground in a river of vermillion, Yveltal and the Hydreigon having slaughtered them via their own xiphos. AZ and his remaining loyalists run their lives as Yveltal's human army, led by General Adonis, charges in. Yveltal unleashes a hurricane of crackling energy at a second squadron of loyalists, a darker shade of vermillion having been used to give an ominous sensation.

Did the ancient champions Apollo and Galatea take each other's hand in marriage? Veronese's The Royal Feast is the best answer to that question. Despite the ancient subject, traditional Altomarian fashion is the attire of choice. Veronese was a master at presenting clothing and fabrics in his pictures.

In typical Serena fashion, her keen eye for style has honed in on Galatea's gown. Both Apollo and Galatea's attire are decked out in the finest lapis lazuli. Ultramarine comes from lapis lazuli and Veronese was one of countless artists who utilized the expensive pigment.

"I want one like that." Serena's eyes glitter, her hands locked under her chin. "I'd look amazing wearing it and the one in the painting next door."

"Heh. Valen pulls her in for a side embrace, joking," Which one?"

"The obvious one, silly." Serena taps the top of his head. "Use your noggin."

Of course she'd want the deep blue gown worn by the Republic of Altomare's champion in Veronese's Portrait of Vendramina Lippomano. The velvet garment is covered in a transparent mesh cape that has gold shoulder shaped like Articuno.

They let go of each other and Serena points towards another Veronese, indicating she wants a third Renaissance gown. In this case, it's the vermillion and ultramarine gown worn by Stena in Princess Stena before King Darius. The mesh cape appears again but with Suicune-shaped clasps.

"She's crazy." Calem chuckles and pats Serena's back. "But apparently, I like crazy."

"Yes you do." Serena throws an arm around Calem. "You need some fancy Renaissance attire too."

"Isn't your ideal society one where all men and women wear suits daily?" Rosa giggles. "You said that in your fashion blog."

"I think she was half joking." Hilda titters with a hand in front of her mouth. "She's a silly one and it's great."

He may think that he managed to sneak away into the Ragulian Baroque paintings but everybody knows Valen's more than eager to see his favorite historical painter.

What Dr. Heath Henwood dubbed Paradox Pokémon were known to exist for centuries—Paldea's Area Zero was one of the theorized place of origins. Such a sighting is captured in A Farmer Encounters Scream Tail. It was painted in 1608 by Marcantonio Matteo da Caravaggio, the master of raw and unapologetic drama.

A basket has forsaken its fruits, both it and its former contents having froze up halfway between the terrified farmer's right hand and the unseen field below. Scream Tail's sharp gaze and growling mouth gives off a "give me those damn berries" vibe. The background's completely dark and the light beams diagonally, highlighting the two figures and the falling goods. It's not merely a person encountering a ferocious wild Pokémon—it's a mugging under the cover of the ominous night that's all in your face.

A Caravaggio shatter any notion of personal space like a charging Paldean Tauros. Maybe you're watching a film or maybe you stumbled upon this incident in an alley. It's that unapologetic power that spoke to Valen's inner coordinator—Caravaggio and Bernini remain his biggest inspirations. Rosa and Hilda also found inspiration by Caravaggio, hence their own adoration for the performance arts and Rosa taking up painting as a kid.

Caravaggio painted Insolent Incineroar in 1612, during his stay in Paldea. A good chunk of the light is focused on Incineroar, who is sneering with his chin up high. Neither the Primeape nor the Hawlucha wish to face Incineroar so it flips up its right middle finger at a prince. The obscene gesture shocks the prince and angers everybody else, but he can hear Incineroar's mocking laughter overpowering the other reactions.

Plenty of other paintings from the 1600s and 1700s are here, ensuring that they're seen as equal to the Ragulian Renaissance collection. Serena's favorites in the Ragulian painting section hasn't changed—she really likes Giacomo Tiepolo's Glittering Cave and Bino Belloto's Anistar Sundial. Calem's also got a thing for Altomarian paintings of Kalos, for his favorites among the Ragulian paintings remain Gianni Canaletto's The Courtyard at Parfum Palace and Filippo Guardi's Laverre City.

All four of these works, which are from the 1700s, are lovely and vibrant images of Kalos at the time and they go well with the landscapes depicting Altomare City itself. The eighteenth century was the twilight of Altomarian painting's Golden Age but its legacy lives on.

Now then, back to Titian he goes. Rosa and Hilda have already beaten him to it.

It's no surprise that Kalosian paintings are equal to the Ragulian paintings in terms of representation. You won't find a larger collection of works by artists like Neville Poussin and Jean-Jacques David anywhere else.

Hilda's favorite among these works is La Pitié d'Yveltal, one of the oldest examples of Kalosian art here. Hilda's a big thinker and that was needed to paint this difficult motif—you had to paint one giant legendary cradling another giant legendary like a parent cradling a child. Some iterations, such as this one, throws Zygarde into the mix.

In addition to Yveltal wrapping his wings around Xerneas, Zygarde's gone into puppy form to nuzzle its head into Xerneas's side. Xerneas herself lies on her other side, her face buried in Yveltal's right wing.

"Down the aisle we go." Rosa pulls Valen and Hilda along. "I want to show off my theatre skills sooner than later and I want to see the Baroque era paintings."

At least she's pulling them slowly enough so they can admire the Kalosian Renaissance and Mannerist paintings.

The influence of Renaissance painters like Raphael shine through forty works by Neville Poussin, who spent most of his career in Siscia City. Nearby, Caravaggio's influence reveals itself through the raw, unpolitic shadows of the Kalosian Caravaggisti like Gabriel de la Tour and Valentin de Brêves.

Poussin shares the top spot for his favorite Kalosian painter and his influence can be seen through the numerous examples of Kalosian classicism surrounding everybody. The subjects of these fine works range from philosophical debates to Champion Leonidas leading his warriors in a celebratory march to tense battles at The Pokémon Colosseum.

Painted in 1640, Poussin's An Army of Dragons is a fantastic visualization of classical literature. He's a tad biased—this is his favorite among Poussin's entire oeuvre. The colors aren't flashy but they are vibrant. Koraidon's exactly where the midpoint it, the sun beaming a ray down upon it. It towers above the rugged landscape, unleashing a roar that commands six Hydreigon and six Roaring Moon to charge in. Three of each are respectively in front and behind of Koradion, forming a symmetrical pattern of sheer power.

"Look at Valey trying to hide that he's a dragon fanboy."

"Hehe, we love our silly boy."

"Heh." Valen looks back at them. "Why would I hide that?"

Right of this painting is Mew Strikes Back, The Power of Lugia, Arceus and the Jewel of Syramos, and The Gift of Life. These Poussin works have attracted the attention of the Melanie, Calem, and Jacques. Any painting with an elegant gown, a marvelous theatre scene, or cool battle scene is what Serena's mainly checking out. Or both because Poussin's Battle Between Princesses is here too.

While they continue to check out Poussin and his contemporaries, he's going into the next century to see a work that sent the aristocracy atwitter. Jean-Michel Voltaire's writings about the drama make for a hilarious read because he roasted them like crazy.

It occurred in 1753, the year Fabien Boucher unveiled a…rather amorous piece called Le Plaisir. The setting's a bedroom filled to the brim with flashy décor, most notably the blanket with ornate patters of Talonflame and Corviknight. Eugene-Michel Verducci, the infamous playboy of eighteenth-century Lumiose City, is taking off a waistcoat decked out in lapis lazuli. His hair's short but in the tie wig style, a common sight in Kalos back then. He flashes a smirk at the seductively leaning Madame Duret, the aforementioned blanket draped on her body. Her long and wavy dark brown hair was rather unusual for the time.

Even amongst the love affairs, excess, and extravagance of Rococo Kalos, this wide shot of this pompous scoundrel and one of his mistresses caused a scandalous stir. It's not because they're lustfully gazing at each other—they couldn't believe that a favorite of the king himself would paint the black Dubwool of the Kalosian aristocracy.

"This one's asking for a novel," Melanie remarks while approaching him. "I should write one."

"Didn't you write one already?"

"I started one but I have too many ideas." Melanie flicks the back of Valen's head. "You know me better than anybody else, doofus."

Jacques Watteau's Birds Rising is a dramatic rendition of Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres. The landscape is split into a snowy mountain, an angry ocean, and an erupting volcano. Meanwhile, a group of well-to-do trainers seek a quiet place to practice in Watteau's Pilgrimage to the Isle of Armor. A Gardevoir and Gallade bow in greeting, gesturing for them to come and relax in the serene landscape.

A Castle in Kalos depicts a satirical play by Jardin Moliere, making it Rosa's favorite Watteau painting. The affluent tried to outdo each other with grand residences with no limits to excess, hence why several aristocrats and various Pokémon uncommon to Kalos are in the midst of an exaggerated display of opulence.

Down he goes again, his favorite Kalosian painter alongside Poussin coming into his line of sight. The largest work among the painter's oeuvre is Portrait of King Azor XVI, one of the most iconic royal images in art. Next to it is Portrait of Napoleon Beauvilliers, the champion appointed by Azor XIV. The imposing king stands outside of Parfum Palace in all of his glamour, his trusted black Charizard by his side. A similar composition was used for the legendary champion and his sitting Talonflame, expect the building behind these two is Stade du Cœur Héroïque.

These portraits are two of the twenty four paintings by Jean-Jacques David that are present. The leading Kalosian painter of his day, David was a fervent supporter of Azor XVI. Many believed Azor XVI was cheated out of the throne by a relative, André III. Like Paldea's King Zifar multiple centuries prior, King André III was corrupted by the vice of greed and power at the expense of his people. His reign was short due to the Kalosian Revolution, which began the year Azor XVI was seasoned enough to claim his rightful place as heir to the throne.

André's fall was depicted by David in Exile of the King, the artist having painted the disgraced king disguised as a beggar. A leader of the revolution eyes him with suspicion, his Talonflame taking care of the king's loyalists while his soldiers commandeer the palace. Other loyalists are dispatched by three Greninja and a Scizor.

"Haven't we seen this before?" Hilda interlocks her left fingers with Valen's right fingers. "I remember a painting in the Calvanian Museum of Art that depicted something similar."

"That's not a coincidence." He pulls Hilda in for a tight hug. "This work is directly inspired by Caravaggio's The Usurping of King AZ."

"You caught on quick." Hilda slides her arms around his neck. "I knew you would."

Rosa's love and passion for theatre ensures her favorite David remains Madame Moulin's Scolding. Mademoiselle Moulin's the lead character in a play from David's time, The Trainers of Kalos. Next to her is her childhood friend, Monsieur Levasseur, and the recipient of her aforementioned scolding is Monsieur Blanchet. The setting just so happens to be the elegant marble interior of Stade du Cœur Héroïque.

"Do your thing, Rosa."

"Hehe, strut it!"

Rosa closes her eyes and beams a smug smirk, envisioning herself with her hair flowing down like that elegant gown in the painting. "'You think you are some great genius trainer when you have nothing to show for it? You think you can use your family's name to enter into the most prestigious of circles?'" she giggles. "'There is nothing remarkable about a man whom cannot handle that he lost to somebody that he looks down upon. I am sorry to say but you are not a extraordinary man—you are a very ordinary man.'"

Valen slowly claps. "C'est bon, Madame Rosa."

"Hehe, what he said."

Rosa bows. "Tee-hee, I already know I'm awesome."

Those who tried to explore Aera Zero before 1820 never got far before they changed their mind—such stories must've been on Delacroix's mind when he painted The Terror of Area Zero in 1822. It's one of twenty works by him housed in this museum. Can't blame those explorers for running through the dense jungle, even though a bunch of Brute Bonnet and Scream Tail have spotted them. Flying overhead is an Alpha Roaring Moon and two Alpha Hydreigon. That sight would make even the baddest tough guy quiver and hightail, especially when Area Zero's Alpha Pokémon have glowing red eyes.

His personal favorite Delacroix among these is Golurk and the Knight. The beautiful, rolling hills and the yellow-orange glow of the sun contrasts the gloomy expression of the knight. His Golurk stands behind him and pats his head, vowing to remain his loyal ally through the underworld and back.

"Hiii, Bonheur paintings."

One reason why that ball of fluff is named Rosa is because of Rosalina Bonheur—she's checking out Town Volunteers and Fossil Excavator. Both showcase now people and Pokémon work in harmony, be it the cultivating of crops for the masses or the discovery of the distant past.

Melanie's taken by Thomas Rousseau's works, one in particular capturing her full attention. He never visited Johto but he was taken by the stories of people who did—that's why he painted A City in Johto in 1850. This work became a huge hit and it foreshadowed Johtoian art craze that would engulf Kalos.

There aren't a whole lot of Impressionism paintings here—Galerie Vollard is the museum to visit for such works. That being said, he's glad that a fine example from Paul Renoir's œuvre is present. Other examples are here too, such as the aquatic sceneries of Caldre Monet and the ballet dancing people and Pokémon of Edouard Degas.

Renoir was a student at Naranja Academy for a brief period of time—The Director's Office was his "love letter" to the academy. As typical with Impressionist art, the aesthetic reveals the quick brushstrokes and a preference for the overall feel of the scene over a sea of the most minute detail. The director in question, Sir Henry Clavell, is sorting through various documents of student and staff rosters with the help of his Lucario.

Oops, he forgot to spend time with Delacroix's most famous painting. Gotta backtrack because he can't miss the Golurk that beats up a whole army in Iron Fist of Liberty.

Melanie and Calem wanted to check out the original Donatello sculpture and Jacques, a sculpture himself, went with the, to seek ideas for his next piece. This leaves the Kalosian Fashion Queen, the ball of fluffs and Team Skull's Valen to tackle the decorative arts section. Ceramics, furniture, and jewelry from the Middle Ages up to the nineteenth century await everyone here. These Western pieces are accompanied by numerous examples from regions in the Far East and the Near East. Their appearences can be simplified elegance or extravagant ornamentation, the material used to craft them ranging from from porcelain to clay.

A trio of Decentine bowls from the tenth century that feature Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres are among the first to greet visitors Surrounding them are a gleaming set of bronze tableware and toiletry pieces, about a dozen in total. Decentine furniture, such as a row of chairs, are also on display—the ornamentation, scroll arms, and intricately carved legs are among their traits.

Next to the sizable amount of Decentine items is the aforementioned Ishtarian Empire and their borders trenched far and wise. A pair of silver vases have a wider bottom and a narrow top. Dating back to the tenth century, their intricate and geometrical patterns form a Roaring Moon and a Great Tusk respectively. These two are quite common among the Near East's art—researchers and historians believe Alpha variants were seen as deities by the population.

"These vases came from Al-Hilāi," Hilda remarks. "I'd like to visit that region one day."

"I would too," Valen says. "We've got quite the list, don't we?

"Hehe, yes we do."

Also from the Al-Hilāi region are three gold bowls featuring Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza respectively. Each one is also depicted in a geometrical fashion, as is the Mew pattern plastered all over a gold vase. A slip-painted dish with a Luvdisc pattern on it is what Rosa's honing in on.

A trio of emerald caravel pendants from early sixteenth-century Paldea represent an age of discovery and enhanced relations—the emeralds traveled to Paldea all the way from Hoenn through Unova and Calvana through what was the world's most extensive trading route of its day.

"This was one reason why I wanted this." Rosa holds up her diamond-lace necklace, which has an emerald with a coiled Serperior engraved on both sides. "It's still surreal at times."

Rosa lovingly stares at Valen for a few moments before kissing him on the lips. She teases Hilda with a finger wag, probably because a trio of equally well preserved caravel pendants with rubies call The Vault in Hammerlocke their home.

Also from Paldea are five examples of maiolica, or, tin-glazed earthenware, that was imported from Urbina City in the Ragulia region. These dishes have superbly detailed paintings of Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde across the entire too surface. Similar examples that were exported to Galar are finished with paintings of Zacian, Zamazenta, and Eternatus.

There's a small crowd studying seven plates by Benôit Palissy, each depicting a legendary. Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde are in the top three. The four below contain Eternatus, Zamazenta, Zacian, and Rayquaza. Another small crowd has taken a liking to the row of carved oak chest, stools and chairs, several of which have tracery patters of plants and Celebi. Others have mountains and Volcanion and one has a starry sky behind a Jirachi.

A mirror with a giltwood frame causes Serena to strike a sassy pose because Serena's gonna do what Serena's gonna do. The mirror's original owner was King Azor XV and it's the same story with the lair of giltwood-framed chairs with floral upholstery. King Azor XIV also loved to have all sorts of exquisite items—he commissioned this pair of gilded bronze andirons shaped like Lugia and Ho-oh. These two Legendary Pokémon appear again as satinwood marquetry on a bureau plat.

Serena catches a glimpse of another mirror with a glided plaster frame. Dozens of vases, bowls, and plates with intricate floral patters are scattered around it. A trio of crackleware goblets two brooches are also present.

"And now she's posing for an Art Nouveau mirror," Hilda comments. "I admire her passion for fashion."

A blue jasper vase from the late 1700s has a trio of musicians and two dancing Meloetta, one of each form. Two men play a harp and a lyre respectively while a woman plays a violin. A second blue jasper vase from the same era has a Nidorino and Gengar battling in the middle of a grassland.

A silver clock shaped like a Honedge and a silver-plated dish with a image of Vaporeon draws Calem's gaze towards it. A pair of tazzas with twisted stem are next to the two pieces, as is cameo table lamp with a painting of a Crobat in a dark forest.

Perhaps he should get reproductions of the clock and lamp for Silver. He'd probably view them as a sign of how strong he is due to being cultured. Heh, maybe a little pitch of decorative arts would allow him to impress his crush.

It's time for the ancient world, starting with the Orient and Osiris regions. The classical world and multiple other mighty civilizations are well represented as well. It goes as far back to the age where humans were nomads, as seen in various tools. What counts as art is subject to debate but why can't tools be art? Art humanizes people and those who made these tools had to be creative too.

Urukia, the world's oldest known civilization, starts the show with a relief that dates back to 2910 BCE. A legion of armored soldiers, led King Ur-Dagan, wield spears as they ride into battle on Cyclizar. To the right, there's another relief of the land being separated from the heavens by Ultra Necrozma. This depiction of the Urukian creation story dates back to about 2900 BCE.

A second relief of Ultra Necrozma, called An by the Urukians, presents the tale of how it created the Urukian civilization alongside Solgaleo and Lunala. Solgaleo, known as Utu in Urukian texts, is tucked in the center of the compass-like symbol within a circle. Lunala, or Nannar, is easier to recognize because its wings are shaped like an eclipse.

An elderly man and his grandson eye the figurine and four reliefs depicting King Pu-Kunam. They're debating his name is where the term Pokémon came from. It reminds Valen of the interactions with his own grandparents and great-grandparents. He once discussed the reliefs and figurines of Urukian trainers with them, admiring how they approached Pokémon like Houndour and Houndoom.

"Come on, Val-Val."

Hilda tugs him towards a plethora of Ancient Osirian artifacts. Rosa's already there and her favorite are the pieces of jewelry. She once played a queen in PokéStar Studios and she got to wear replicas of these bracelets and armlets.

Figurines of Lucario and Liepard form a military-like formation stand on one end, a giant relief of the pharaoh Horus II crowning a battle tournament winner on the other. Three jars finished with paintings of the creation lotus from their mythology are near another relief of the giant Talonflame and Corviknight they believed represented the sun and the moon.

"Imagine being crowned a winner by the pharaoh," Jacques remarks as he approaches the duo. "It must've been a splendid sight."

Neolithic bowls from Galar share a display with Bronze Age bowls found right here in Kalos. Additional Bronze Age bowls from neighboring Ziegler are also the giant hallway they go, taking in all of the additional great artifacts from Galar and Ziegler, which range from more vessels to tools.

Figurines and reliefs make up a good chunk of Al-Hilāi and Uttara Pushya's representation but fine examples of wares are here too. The largest relief between the two depicts the eight-armed Gigantamax Machamp and the four-headed Hydreigon from the latter's mythology.

Wooden Garchomp figurines and Haxorus masks from the Nikuno region have attracted quite the crowd. It's the same story with the Etrusk people, whom are represented by items that range from a glided silver bowl to a bronze urn.

The classical world, the birthplace of the Western world as it's known today, greets them with Ancient Kasmenestias. Black-figure and red-figure vases form a circle around a imposing sculpture. The white marble figures gleam like cameras in a fashion show. Each vase depicts a scene from classical literature and mythology, while the sculpture is a full length portrait of the poet Hermos. A number of original and Siscian copies of Kasmenestian sculpture, ranging from heroes in epics to kings, create a line of marble onlookers to Ancient Siscia.

While the Ancient Kasmenestians laid the foundations of the modern league conference, it was the Ancient Siscians who had the first recognizable league conference. The relief right in front of him is the earliest known piece of art that showcases this achievement. It features a large battlefield with Emperor Poseidon II crowning the winner and his Corviknight, the other contestants bowing to the two of them.

Several gladiator helmets are next to the relief, plus another relief of a guy wearing one as he commands his Hydreigon. Gladiators were the term used for the strongest Pokémon Trainers, such as those who got to battle within The Pokémon Colosseum. They're especially iconic among Dragon-type trainers today, for gladiators often had a powerful Dragon-type or draconic-like Pokémon.

"The strongest trainers were basically deified," Hilda remarks. "Especially if they could tame a Pokémon like Hydreigon, Gyarados, or Aggron."

"Tee-hee, I remember how I declared I'd tame a Hydreigon after seeing how cool Valey's Salamence was."

"He's a cool and good boy," Valen adds. "I still remember wanting a Salamence since I was little."

"Speaking of which, aren't you forgetting something?" Rosa nudges him with her right elbow. "Such as a certain relation?"

"Chill out, I was getting to that."

He has a personal connection with Ancient Siscia—his full name is Valentinus and he was named after Emperor Valentinus I. His parents chose the name because they believed in his potential to leave his own mark on the world. So confident was Valentinus I about his massive empire that he commissioned the era's most famous sculptor, Decius, for what would become the grandest piece of them all.

With the help of his Machamp, Decius gifted the world this marvelous, enormous marble sculpture of the classical world's greatest Pokémon Trainer, Volturnus the Conquering. Look at him, he demands with his narrowed eyes glaring down upon all. Look at him in awe of his glory, marvel at his ability to command a proud Salamence and a ferocious Hydreigon.

"There were multiple reasons why I wanted a Salamence," Valen remembers. "This was one of them."

As Melanie approaches on his right, he recalls his first encounter with this titanic trainer. He had just seven years old when he saw Titian's Volturnus the Conquering back home in the Calvanian Museum of Art. The Salamence and Gyarados make an appearance in that painting too.

"But you expected a powerful and majestic dragon like this one," Melanie teases and flicks his forehead. "You got a flying puppy instead."

"He's a powerful and majestic flying puppy who deserves the bouncy ball, thank you very much."

Ambition and desire causing Shelgon to evolve into the mighty Salamence, an Ancient Siscian tale that became a staple of pop culture. It's long since been proven that there is an element of truth behind the classic fable.

Rosa hones in on dozens of Ancient Siscian coins featuring various emperors, such and Janus Caesar and Valentinus I, and The Pokémon Colosseum. Across the room is an equally large amount of Ancient Kasmenestian coins that feature various mythological figures and structures. Nearby lie several cameo glass flasks, figures of people and Pokémon having been carved into the surface.

Hilda and Melanie are checking out a pair of ancient gold ring, a red gems engraved with portraits of Champion Achilles emblazoned into them. Siscians who were affluent would wear these these fine pieces of jewelry as a demonstration of wealth and knowledge of Kasmenestian art and cultures.

Back to Ancient Kasmenestias he goes but…the whole pack's coming with him? …You ding dong, they care about you. They want you to re-learn how to express yourself.

"This circular stone slab is one that I've been intrigued by for years."

How could he not be when a serpentine-like Rayquaza is carved into it? Most ancient cultures depicted Rayquaza as the dragon it is but a few, such as the artisans of Syramos, had other ideas. Another circular stone slab depicts a five-headed Hydreigon, each head loosely resembling the body of a Seviper.

"I like to think that Xerneas and Yveltal got bored and fused Seviper with Hydreigon."

The laughter of those close to him is a melody of great beauty to his ears. He's already feeling a blanket of tranquility—isn't it marvelous to be surrounded by encouraging people? He knows that the squad would love to see him back onto the contest state. Perhaps he can give the people what they want via an "unofficial" performance. At least for now because there's a different sensation in the air—he's leaning more towards contests than battle tournaments. For now, he'll continue to enjoy the museum and its hometown.

To be surrounded by the beauty of art and the beauty of love, both friendship and romance, is one of the greatest joys to experience. Art humanizes and connects people, it speaks to you visually, emotionally, and intellectually. It can bring back a fond memory, it can make you cry or laugh.

The power of the arts, the creation of writing, the passing of oral tradition, and the ability to form deeper connections. Without these four elements, would human civilization have been able to live in harmony with Pokémon and thrive?

I hope you enjoyed my third one-shot!

The cast are in their early twenties except for Jacques. He's mid-twenties.

I tried to weave in paintings you can see inside the museum in X/Y.

More than a few artists did not use their birth name, such as Caravaggio. That was name of the town he was born in.

(More notes to come)

Last edited:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Merely a collector
Pronouns
Them
Partners
  1. shaymin
  2. dusknoir
The details are so immersive! I could see myself exploring the museum myself. It's really fascinating and the sort of worldbuilding that I try to use in Obsession. You really know how to weave a fascinating room with highly detailed and textured images everywhere. Reminds me of when I worked at the art museum, honestly, but with way more details about every piece than I would ever know myself.

I feel almost like you could just do an art documentary in this world, without having to think of an overarching plot. Just take us through a museum and guide us around all the tidbits.

BossCar

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/His
The details are so immersive! I could see myself exploring the museum myself. It's really fascinating and the sort of worldbuilding that I try to use in Obsession. You really know how to weave a fascinating room with highly detailed and textured images everywhere. Reminds me of when I worked at the art museum, honestly, but with way more details about every piece than I would ever know myself.

I feel almost like you could just do an art documentary in this world, without having to think of an overarching plot. Just take us through a museum and guide us around all the tidbits.
Sorry, didn't see your comment sooner!

Thank you, I appreciate it! Making the reader feel like they're there or could be there is how I like to write :)

Top Bottom