• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Music

kyeugh

you gotta feel your lines
Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
there had to be a thread like this eventually, right? :'D

so, what kind of music do you guys like? favorite artists/albums/tracks? anything you've gotten into recently that you'd like to share? i encourage y'all to listen to the stuff others post and give your thoughts on it! feel free to post playlists and whatnot, too— i'll try to listen to anything you guys post at least part of the way through, hahaha.

as for me, i'm a pretty big john frusciante fan. some good tracks are omission, ascension, and anne. as you anyone who knows who john frusciante is might expect, i'm also a pretty big fan of the chili peppers, although weirdly my favorite album by them is one hot minute (hence my pfp!), for which the guitarist is not frusciante. weird how that works out.

aside from that i'm a bit fan of jimi hendrix, queens of the stone age, the smashing pumpkins, the butthole surfers (lol), nirvana, and the doobie brothers among other alt/grunge/psychedelic artists. when i'm studying or writing, i'm also a big fan of jazz fusion/jazz rock/jazz funk/blues jam stuff with light or no lyrics, like the allman brothers, steely dan, victor wooten, and occasionally joe satriani if i'm feeling pumped up enough. 😁 let me know if any of those artists are familiar to you! i'm always down to talk music.

NebulaDreams

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. luxray
  2. hypno
This reply has been long overdue, but heck yes for John Frusciante (one of the better things to come out of RHCP in my opinion)! I need to do more of a deep dive into him and all the other artists you mentioned (only one I haven't heard of is the Doobie Brothers), but from what I've heard of all of them, they're all pretty solid as well!

Jazz fusion is nice, though again, not something I've done a deep dive into. The only artists I've really delved into with that genre is Miles Davis and Pat Metheny. Miles for his insane improvisation/jams, and Pat for how atmospheric his music is. The perfect soundtrack for going on a cross-country train journey or a bike ride through the countryside. Favourites from him have to be Minuano (6/8) and The Gathering Sky.

Outside from that, my favourite band at the moment is Sweet Trip. Yes, it's rym-core and I don't care. They're an underrated band that got a lot more recognition later on after their hiatus and deserved more. It's not so much the volume of work they've put out as the quality of the stuff they've put out. Velocity: Design: Comfort is a genre-defying melting pot of glitch, dream pop and IDM (I wish I could recapture my first listen to that album), while You Will Never Know Why is just straight-up dream pop bliss. Recommended tracks from both albums are DSCO and Fruitcake and Cookies, then Air Supply and Darkness.

SparklingEspeon

Back on Her Bullshit
Staff
a Terrace of Indeterminate Location in Snowbelle
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. fennekin
  3. zoroark
For writing? I tend to like film/TV show scores. Particularly lush ones like the scores from Lord of the Rings and Westworld. They help me plot out entire scenes, characters, and arcs for my stories, as well as set a dramatic mood for me when I write. Unfortunately, I tend to detest pop songs for the same reason: while many of them have pleasant cords/melodies, most lack that lush instrumentation that I love, and I can't use them to mold scenes like I could with a soundtrack piece.

Top Ten Favorite OSTs (in no particular order):

#1 - Battlestar Galactica, by Bear McCreary (Prelude; 1, 2, 3, 4)
#2 - Game of Thrones, by Ramin Djawadi (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
#3 - Westworld, also by Ramin Djawadi (1, 2, 3)
#4 - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, by James Newton Howard (1, 2)
#5 - A Series of Unfortunate Events, by Thomas Newman
#6 - The Lord of the Rings, by Howard Shore (1, 2, 3)
#7 - Ready Player One, by Alan Silvestri
#8 - Attack on Titan, by Hiroyuki Sawano (1, 2, 3, 4)
#9 - Godzilla: KOTM, by Bear McCreary
#10 - The Witcher, by Sonia Belousova and Giona Ostinelli (1)

Currently I'm having a fangirl moment over the score to Netflix's The Witcher, which is filled with all kinds of mystical instruments and vocals and has that perfect mood for writing that I love!

Top Bottom