• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Mt. Moxie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
“Huh?” Zack became confused at what Diancie had to say. “Say what? Did I hear that right?” He was reminded of the discussion that happened last night
Diancie regarded Zack with an odd expression. "I'm sorry, was I not clear?"

“Wait, so… There really is an impostor?” The Pidgeot widened his eyes at the thought.

“I think it’s too early to jump to conclusions, Zack,” Jack said, shaking his head.

“But the stuff with the dye and the brainwash thing June said!” Zack flapped his wings frantically as he addressed his Farfetch’d friend. “One of those has to be real!”

Seb looked at the discussion the birds were having at the moment, looking at Diancie. He was still flustered and excited, but managed to ask something to her. “Uh, excuse me? What’s going on? Are you saying something important?”
"An impostor?" she asked. "Brainwashing? Well it is not impossible for such a thing to be true, I have certainly not noticed anything odd. Such a dirty tactic is also not an easy one. However, please explain just what you mean by 'dye'?"

At Seb's question, she chuckled lightly. "Apologies, Seb. Your pokemon were discussing the merits of dye and brainwash it seems. And they seem to believe there's an impostor..."

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
“Okay, I think I’m gonna need the full explanation for that,” Seb replied.

“Oh, about the dye,” Jack began, “someone mentioned berries being used as dye, and we thought it was important. Maybe the impostor used Orzo’s colors? Then again, the Golden King should be yellow. It’s in the name.”

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Jack's words seemed to give Diancie pause. "Dye..." she frowned. "That is very odd. Why bother impersonating Orzo?" She hummed to herself, falling silent for several moments. "Very odd." She shook her head. "It is a matter I must think on further in private. Now, is it still your desire to ask my aid in battle?" She gazed at Zack with an evaluating eye.

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
“Absolutely,” the Pidgeot replied with several quick nods.

“I’m still glad we got to meet you, Diancie,” Seb said, giving a big grin.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
"Very well, I have a proposition, hero-to-be. You have proven you possess two traits of a hero - courage and strength. And though you have much yet left to learn, if you can pass the final test, I may grant you aid." Diancie looked upon each of them in turn, before resettling her gaze on Zack, her stare boring into him.

"Do you accept?"

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
Zack kicked the air above him with a determined smirk, keeping his leg raised. “Bring it.”

“Wait, are you sure this involves a battle?” Jack asked, looking worried.

“Hey, so long as we can get an advantage…”

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
"This is not battle of the body. It is a test of wit. A hero must be both strong of body and mind." She tapped her head. "Each of you must answer my riddles."

She turned first to Seb. "I am the beginning of you and the end of sickness. You cannot express happiness without me and I am in the midst of crosses. I am always in risk yet never in danger. You may find me in the sun, but I am never out of darkness. What am I?"

Her gaze fell upon Jack next.

"What does a mortal love more than life
Fear more than death or mortal strife
What dost the poor have, the rich lack, and what contented men desire,
What the miser spends and the extravagant saves
And all men carry to their graves?"

And finally, she looked once more upon Zack. "And you. What is it a hero ought to keep after they have given it to someone else?

Answer these and you shall have my aid."

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
Zack’s smirk was quickly replaced with a worried frown. He slowly lowered his leg back to the ground. “Okay, that came outta left field for me.”

“I didn’t expect any riddles either,” Jack said, crossing his wings.

“Well, I’m sure you’ll figure it out since you’re the smart guy here.”

“Yeah. But you should get working too. This test is for all of us.”

“Right.” The Pidgeot turned around to address his Trainer. “Got anything on your end, Seb?”

There was no response. Seb was cradled into a ball, knees on his chest and arms wrapped around his legs.

“Seb?” Zack approached him, kneeled and gently placed a wing on his shoulder.

“It’s no use,” Seb muttered. His tone indicated a deep despair as he spoke. “I could never get any riddles right. Not even when Mom taught me some back when I was a kid. Not even now. I could grind my gears for hours looking for an answer by myself, but I’d just get it wrong every time.”

“Dude. Don’t be like that.” Zack softly nudged his Trainer. “We’re here together, so we gotta work together.”

“I know you’re trying to cheer me up, Zack, but it won’t work. I’m just looking for an answer. I could try asking the others in the chat, but what if we get disqualified?”

Zack sighed and stood up. He passed his wings through his crest and looked to the sky. Even though there was worry in his expression, he still managed to look determined.

“We still gotta at least try.”

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Diancie gave a sympathetic smile. "Your friend is right," she said gently. "The key to overcoming adversity is perseverance."

And she said nothing more.

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
Jack put the Rotom Phone back into his Trainer’s pocket before he turned back towards Diancie. “I’m sure you don’t appreciate us asking someone else for help, but I think we have our answers now. What is it that contented people desire most? Nothing. The miserable have nothing, and those who have many things desire nothing else. Isn’t that right?”

“Makes sense, I guess,” Zack said with a nod.

“Now, for Seb’s riddle…” The Farfetch’d turned around, seeing his despaired Trainer with worry. “Come on, relax. All we have to do is think outside the box.”

“My beginning? Is there even an answer to this? What if there isn’t? Will this encounter have been for nothing?” Seb remained curled into a ball, trembling softly.

Jack sighed in disbelief. He looked back at Diancie. “The letter ‘S’. Since the riddle was directed specifically at Seb, we thought it had to do something with him. We never really thought about his name—we could only think about origins.”

“Okay, now for me,” Zack said. He placed a wing on his hip and looked down. “This one I kinda figured out on my own. An oath. Just like a knight does. I mean, I made promises before. I promised Mom and Dad, and even myself, that I’d be a hero just to protect ‘em and other families. That Zoroark was the beginning.”

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
After a long pause, Diancie nodded slightly. "Jack. You are correct. The answer is nothing. Continue to remember in life that friends and your character are what you take with you. Nothing physical."

Diancie then approached the downtrodden Seb. "Seb. Sometimes the answers to a problem is both simple and unexpected. Dont be afraid to try thinking outside the box. That is a skill all trainers must learn, both in and out of battle. That, and of course, perseverance," she added, gazing at him pointedly.

"Zack." She turned upon the Pidgeot. "Hero aspirant. Yes, you are right. An oath is something both kept and given. Sacred. if you break it, you dishonor yourself, and everything you stand for. Never give an oath lightly."

She floated back a few feet. "Ultimately, I cannot fault you for seeking aid from a friend. It is better to seek help than to make errors. Though I advise you thank your friend, they sound quite smart," she added with a chuckle. "Nevertheless, I shall grant you something that is both a gift and a great responsibility."

Placing her two hands together, and a sphere of energy formed between them. It condensed into a luminous orange orb, a little bigger than a marble. A ribbon of red and pale yellow ran through the center. A Pidgeotite.

She spoke sternly as she handed it to Zack. "Use this wisely. It requires a perfect bond between you and your trainer. Otherwise you will lose yourself to its power. And I shall lend your group my aid, if it comes to a fight."

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
Seb managed to relax and sigh after having heard everything. To think that his birds managed to get those riddles right… Well, it wasn’t right to underappreciate himself, but he wasn’t gonna take any credit for wallowing in misery. He stood back up and passed his hands over his cheeks. He sighed and gave a small bow with his hand on his chest. “Thank you, Diancie. I’m glad this meeting happened the way it did.”

Zack gazed at the Pidgeotite for several moments. He was surprised and excited. He received a Mega Stone. He expected to find one somewhere more mundane, like the shop or one of the restaurants. But did he really deserve to hold so much power in a magic rock? Oh, absolutely—he wasn’t gonna turn it down anytime soon. He was happy to have an advantage, but he couldn’t wait to show off. No, wait, he had to be patient. Nonetheless, he was excited, and the tone of his voice expressed it so. “Oh. Oh, hell yeah! Yeah, thank you thank you thank you!” He clutched the stone in his wings, trembling. “I won’t let this power go to waste! I mean, I’ve got an epic power, and I seriously wanna go Mega right now, but—ah, this feels like a dream, man!”

“It’s been an honor, Your Majesty,” Jack said, kneeling towards Diancie. “We appreciate your help. We’ll be able to return the favor once we defeat the Golden King.” He looked up at his friend. “Now calm down, please. There’s always a time and a place. Maybe if we bump into Alakazam…”

“Oh yeah, I can’t wait.” Zack calmed down somewhat. “No, wait, I can wait. Yeah.”
<<<>>>​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom