• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Mischief and Malice Contest - Results

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
"To Speak Again" by Starlight Aurate

“Want to charm that pretty lass down the street? Or make a statement at the latest social? Come and take a gander at these ‘ere crystals!”

An assortment of quartz, opals, amethysts, and more sparkled in a glittering rainbow beneath a dull, grey sky. Alistair waved his cane over his wares while the eyes of onlookers hungrily devoured the glimmering spectacles. A top hat sat tilted over his chin-length greasy blonde hair. His pale blue eyes gazed out from beneath its brim, surveying his customers calculatingly. His midnight black coat was ragged, with embroideries of moon phases stretching across his sleeves and over his back.

“How much for this ‘un?” a man grunted.

“Ah, that quartz is a special ‘un, it is! M’mate, Voleur, and I to fight off three Spiritomb to get to it. We’ll sell it t’ye fer 250 quid!”

“250 quid?! This ain’t worth half that! I’ll give ye a hundred.”

“That’s an insult! If that’s yer offer, then be off with ye!”

Judge Comments

bluesidra

OOoh, what an interesting and lovely story. I’ve been looking up and down the wiki for who these people might be and came up empty handed, so I’ll assume they’re your own creations. And very good ones at that.

Alistair I liked especially. He’s a shrewd trickster, but has clearly a lot of second thoughts about the things that are leaning heavily into dark-gray morality territory. He’s also curious and very knowledgeable, which is a thing I always like to see. He’s clearly abandoned their usual mission in favor of helping his friend, and he pushes all doubts aside for that. Voleur is clearly the hothead in the relationship, and the one who doesn’t value human life too much. Him throwing a tantrum in the jungle was really endearing, but killing an old lady after just one round of bargaining? He makes for a bad merchant if that’s how he reacts to haggling.

If I didn’t like Alistair so much, I’d regret seeing the story through his eyes. Maybe a lucario’s perspective on what Voleur was thinking when he murdered the woman would explain why he overreacted like this. Maybe she sparked something in him, that laid buried? He took the normal business during the introduction scene well – even if Alistair sold the gem to Victoria under value. (Lol, also kudos to making the pokemon the one who’s better with money, I love it.)

Then a big OOOOoooooh! on that world you’ve built there. Magic and colonial times vibes. :big_eyes:

I love to see some magic in pokemon. Not because the setting is underpowered or anything, but I recently hit a similar wall, where humans are just straight out outpowered by pokemon and that makes for a sad narrative.

Storytime from my own writing: Usually, a trainer’s "value" grows with the power of his team. But separated from his team, the trainer doesn’t have anything going for him. I feel like that’s a bit of an uneven equation here. Back when you were a tiny gible, you needed the human to take care of you and train you, but now you’re a fully grown pseudo-legendary, who can fly, swim and rip through mountains like it’s nothing, while your human has become more of a liability to you than anything. Friendship, yes, but even for the human, that’s sad. So I, too, concluded that giving the human at least some sort of ability they can apply to be useful to their pokemon is the only way to make that imbalance work. Be it either a sense that the pokemon is lacking, a steady source of food and shelter, or, when both don’t apply, magic.

Your magic here is quite serviceable for 7k. It’s not deeply explored, not by far, but that’s okay. All the reader needs to know is that it’s a thing. But worldbuilding me is so curious… Oh, and the fact that they don’t resolve the issue by the end and there’s no clear explanation as to why makes the magic and the gods involved a lot stronger.

Then, the setting. It’s also very vague. No technology mentioned, but top hats and a jungle. Which gave me a strong throwback into my Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag days. I was shamelessly vibin’ in fictional caribbean colonies the entire time. Also adds that little dash of indiana jones explorer type to Alistair and Voleur. Ah, yes, colonialism… almost guiltlessly enjoyed thanks to fiction.

The peek into Ayuyu culture is very imaginative, despite it only being a few paragraphs. Also, thanks to this fic, I learned about the Taotao Mo’na today, and now I thiiiiink the magic not working is not as unexplained as I thought a few minutes ago… Also, whoopsie, were in South East Asia, not the carribean. Wrong tropical dream destination.

As for pacing, spelling and the mechanical stuff: It be pretty good. It could have used one more readthrough, I’ve pointed it out in the line-quotes, but it’s nothing major. I’m not the biggest fan of dialect in written word, because it makes it a lot more difficult to parse, but Allistair was okay. I needed to read along to the tts to know what’s going on, but it was just very basic things. Though I don’t know why you chose this speech pattern for him in the first place. No other character aside from Voleur has a major speaking role to contrast him with. Victoria’s poshness could have been upped by choice of words and Voleur doesn’t count because telepathy. Pacing wise, it had me gripped from the beginning to the end. At no point did I lose interest or leer at the clock or sth like this. The end of the flashback was a bit on the nose (I almost heard the soundeffect), but that was quickly forgotten, because the story moved on so fast and the flashback itself was fun as well.

The only thing I think is a serious issue is that I don’t see the villainy too strongly in this. Yes, they killed someone and sucked the soul out of another, but what’s a little murder, amiright? Okay, it’s pretty evil and only the consequences of their actions. But, like, they have their reasons. And their second thoughts. (I just like Alistair too much, don’t I?)

Well, if anything, take it as a compliment. I really enjoyed this story. So much, that I start to justify the actions of the protagonists. It didn’t feel explicitly pokemon-y, but it’s a breath of fresh air that’s very welcome. Also, holiday feelings!

A Hoppip sat perched on her head

3000 points for this fic already!

They interrupted our yearly mango festival

ngl, the yearly mango festival sounds like fun

Voleur raised a paw, pointing it at Isa. He remained sitting where he was, at least a meter away from the elder. But Alistair saw indents appear on Isa’s neck where Voleur’s aura pressed in, tightening her airway.

Voleur goes full Darth Vader on her, I love it.

He couldn’t defend himself against your spells!

So. As someone who’s played many spellcasters in DnD before. Lose initiative and he will definitely defend himself and your d6 hitpoints won’t help you.

Once the lady and her companion disappeared vanished from sight, Alistair and Voleur looked at each other.

Miss Victoria Overhill and Miss Poppy making their way over the heathered hill.

Here’s where it could have needed some more proofreading. "disappeared vanished." And wasn’t her name Pippa before?

SparklingEspeon

Definitely liked the vibe of this one! It has a vibe like those indiana-jones type explorer pieces set in the early 20th century, which I think gave this oneshot a lot of style and pizzazz that helped spice it up.

Alastair and Voleur definitely have a swankiness to them that feels appropriate - they are master thieves, after all. But those street skills also feel appropriate to the genre this story seems to inhabit that I can’t put my finger on - period piece? I guess the point is, they feel like gentlemen thieves, and it’s those street smarts that enable them to con their way into Victoria’s hearts. And, I guess, the fact that they have a family connection. It’s also clear that those street smarts are a careful approach of theirs that they’ve used several times in the past to get their way, except it’s clearly gone wrong for them once they stumble across the wrong person to rob and suffer the consequences. One thing I wondered was if it was actually possible for them to recover Voleur’s aura speech if they’d just… stopped doing what they were doing and turned it around instead. But rather than doing that, they continue conning people and being dishonest, so I guess it makes sense that even if a clause like that were in place, they wouldn’t be triggering it anyway.

Themewise - Nothing too complicated going on here, but I did like the fairly simple and effective concept you had going on for your villains here. Alistair and Voleur paid a terrible price for their terrible actions, and their motives to get them back are understandable - and it’s not necessarily like they’re plotting world domination or something, even if what they’re doing is still destructive and terrible on a personal level. They’re just two people who did a bad thing, suffered the consequences, and are then… doing more bad things to try and pedal themselves out of it. Which doesn’t work. On one hand the severity of the consequences they suffered is enough to allow us enough sympathy that we can see into their perspective and understand why they’re doing what they’re doing, but on the other hand…. Welp, they kinda brought that all on themselves.

The end of the oneshot is very grim - Voyeur gets his aura back for… all of one minute, and then it suddenly disappears, and Victoria seems to have had her… soul sucked out or something? I’m not entirely sure exactly how it affected her, but the implication definitely seemed to be that she lost an important part of herself when she lost her aura, which affected her far deeper than when Voleur had his taken away. The more horrifying part about it is that she didn’t even want to do the procedure in the first place, and it doesn’t seem like anyone’s particularly looking out for her at the end either. They just walk her back to the house, and are either just acting like she’s okay (which, even if it’s playing a bit of second fiddle to Voleur’s dilemma, sounds like a very Alistair + Voleur thing to do), or ignoring it, when she really… isn’t. On top of that, there’s the implication that Voleur seems to have a spiritual blacklist from aura that a simple transfer can’t mend, and so the answer might be entirely out of their hands - which they, again, brought on themselves. It definitely felt as hopeless to read as it must have felt for the characters.

Overall, good work! I really liked the genre and vibes of this one, and you did a really good job creating villains that are both sympathetic and truly despicable at once. Great work, and thanks for the read!

windskull

This was an interesting setup, and fairly unique amongst the contest fics. You do a good job of getting the villain PoV across. Alistar and Voleur are clearly bad people. They try to swindle people, they’re willing to murder and steal for goods and shelter, and willing to take advantage of kindness of others. About their only redeeming quality is the fact that they care about each other. Which, in my opinion, makes them feel more realistic. Most evil people have *something* they care about, and for these two, that’s each other.

In general the prose was good. I only noticed one typo, which I’ll list below.

Alistair’s eyes glossed over the illuminations;
I’m assuming you meant illustrations.

Aside from that, there were a couple spots where the prose fell flat. The first was the opening. It wasn’t necessarily that the prose itself was bad. It’s just that it did little to grab my attention, and came across as mundane. Especially set against the magical backdrop that makes up the rest of the story.

The other spot was the following:
Voleur’s mouth hung slightly open and his eyes were wide; he looked incredibly stressed out.
Something about “he looked incredibly stressed out” didn’t work for me. I can’t quite put my finger on why. I can tell why you want to make it clear he was stressed, and I’m not totally sure of the best way to show that. More body language, playing into Voleur’s canine physiology perhaps? I just, in general, feel that the line is really weak.

I think my primary critique with this story is that I felt there were certain things that needed further fleshing out. The two that first come to mind are the Time Sapphire and the ending, particularly the stuff surrounding what happened to Victoria.

From the time the Time Sapphire first comes up, I was left confused. It just kind of gets glossed over, and it wasn’t until about halfway through the remainder of the story that I remembered what Time Flowers were. Namely because, if I remember correctly, they only come up within Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, and it’s been a loooong time since I watched that movie. Without that knowledge, it just kind of feels like a random, made up concept that comes out of nowhere. So I, personally, would have at least given a bit more of a description off what it does. If not directly to Victoria (since they wanted to hide its other use and what happened to the previous hut dweller) then internally. I know it briefly gets touched on later, but I would have appreciated a little extra information.

On the subject of Victoria, it wasn’t clear to me what was going on with her at the end, and it felt sort of glossed over. She wasn’t behaving the same after whatever happened, but the story doesn’t really explain why. It’s not clear to me if she’s just in shock after losing her latent aura abilities, or if there’s something more sinister afoot.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
"We Don't Speak His Name" by Torchic W. Pip
Second-Place Winner

Sometimes I read the news, both regional and national. It’s not usually anything interesting—sickly sweet celebrities getting married, a new Champion, another person disappeared, another sex scandal, someone was murdered and I didn’t get to do the murdering… It’s like I said: not usually anything interesting.

But sometimes I see
them in the news: that niece Nicole, who’s a Coordinator; her brother Wallace, who everyone hypes up for some reason and who’s training to be Lorekeeper; that other niece, Halcyone, in the Lilycove Philharmonic Orchestra at just thirteen.

They’re all artists. I used to be, too; I was studying music theory when I met… her. She was an opera singer. I was a pianist. Now she’s a mother, and I’m a Team Rocket Executive...

Read the rest on: AO3 | Bulbagarden | Thousand Roads

Judge Comments

bluesidra

Ooooh, okay, so that was very juicy. Let’s see…

So, Proton is the man of the hour. And can I just say I love the way you handled his denial? Omg, so many juicy layers of him lying to himself without even noticing it. First with "I don’t read the news" – proceeds to bring up the news in every scene. Then with the "I don’t have a daughter" bullshit. And the way he’s clearly attached to Sootopolis and still knows all these little details despite claiming to have left this life behind…

But the single most powerful thing was this one:

I feel a surge of triumph seeing him so helpless. Here’s the pretty boy who got to have a happy life despite the fact that he’s a messed up, alcoholic freak, just like his dad. He thinks a duck can be a son. He can’t even stand up for his own city. And all the things the press revealed about him…

I’ve never done drugs or alcohol. I was a pretty good husband before I left Lydia. I was a normal person. Why did only one of us get to rise? Why did the heavens choose Wallace to be the special, perfect, pretty face of Sootopolis? Why did I have to be the one to get shunned and forgotten by my own family when the special kid is so fucked in the head? Aren’t I fucked in the head, too? Where’s my fame and fortune?

Oh. My. God. The parallels between him and Wallace. Forced into perfectionism. Considering Wallace’s life to be the "happy" one just because he’s in a publicly admired position. The need for positive attention, even if it means being the most fucked up person in the family. Hell, even making a contest out of mental illness.

It’s implied that Proton held this worldview even while he led a relatively adjusted life in sootopolis, which is even more sad. It implies that it was probably this pressure and these values that have been ingrained into him that made him unhappy with his family and join Rocket in the first place.

But since Proton has not been born into the Papadakis-clan, does this mean this mindset runs in Sootopolis in general? No wonder Hoenn doesn’t want to have anything to do with them.

But: All of this isn’t apparent from the one-shot. It’s something I know from your other works, and I’m not supposed to know that for the judging. I couldn’t think of another way to bring the parallels into this story, except having Wallace trying to bargain a bit with Proton by pointing out their similarities.

So if I don’t know this background, it leaves Proton’s backstory a bit open. He seems to have an excessive grudge against his family – especially against his father-in-law and Wallace. But there’s never a reason given for it other than him being shunned (for something that’s not elaborated), and being outshined by the perfect boy Wallace. But both don’t give a good enough reason for why he turned his back on his family or why he hates Wallace in particular. It becomes clearer once you know Wallace’s background, but so far it’s a bit loose.

But ye, Proton has a nice confrontation with his views on family in this latest adventure of his. I kinda think his decision to pursue rayquaza the moment kris showed up torpedoed this theme at the last minute, but more on this later.

Oh, and speaking of characters:

Outside of Proton and Wallace, everyone else is more or less a background character and perfectly serviceable. Winona is nice, though I think revealing a family feud to a stranger on your couch is a bit much for small-talk, but hey. No problem.

Wallace on the other hand… oh boy. He’s your Wallace, and in that regard, he’s very much in character. I just wished he’d fight back or try to escape/use his wits a bit at least. He comes across as very passive. He could have tried to bargain with Proton or calm him down, anything to buy Wallace or Winona some time. He could have given Ferdinand some instructions on Proton’s weaknesses, or anything about the Rocket hideout – anything that isn’t "be a good son, I’ll die now." (Oh, and I would have loved it if Ferdinand got captured while trying to break into the rocket base to free his baba.)

All of this is by no means a detriment to the story. It’s about family, so Wallace’s last words to his son fit the theme. And him being weak, both physically and mentally is at best a bit odd for a champion (yk, those guys are supposed to think quick in the heat of a pokemon battle, but Wallace is mostly dumbfounded by every new revelation.) So no issue with that. I just found myself wishing Proton faced a bit more resistance. You know, the more they fight, the more rewarding it is to see them break. Old wisdom from a closeted sadist.

Very very very good! Honestly, this one-shot surprised me in how well rounded it was and how well it went back to itself.

The news is one big running motif throughout the entire story. It opens with Proton reading the newspaper and closes with Giovanni reading about his death. And in between, Proton refers to the news a lot, even though he assures us that he doesn’t pay them much attention at all.

Same with Silver. It opens with him and ends on him, both with him showing up and with his father thinking about him.

The middle is a chain of action-scenes and carnage, but with this tie back to the start, it feels rounded. I have a very very soft spot for stories that do that. No whiplash whatsoever. And imo that’s difficult to achieve with stakes as high as here. Also, the pacing never faltered once. It was gripping from beginning to end, and the one part that dragged a bit (when Proton visited Wallace and Winona, aka their normal life) was very short. (Just fyi: The dragging here comes from not knowing why Proton is here, as well as them just being really sickly sweet. I’m here for Proton doing damage, goddamnit! It’s no issue whatsoever, like I said, just wanted to let you know.)

And then a major kudos for the way you used first person here. There were many instances where Proton’s narrative said one thing while his actions said the clear opposite. It’s something that shines best in 1st person and you did it several times, all executed masterfully. His almost compulsive thoughts about his family when entering Gio’s office, or how he always says he doesn’t pay the news attention right after he’s paid the news attention. It’s really really well done. And then also stuff like "It’s… wow. Every time I’ve seen it, it’s blown me away." Breaking up the narrative flow like that is something that makes 1st person feel just a bit more personal. I love it. I’m a huge fan of 1st person when writing, and those two things (denial and breaking up sentences) are among the things I try to incorporate as much as possible.

From the moment where Gio introduced his plan to cooperate with aqua and magma, I knew I was in for something good. Not that some solo rocket malice is bad or anything, I just didn’t expect that team-up. And it worked perfectly! Good job on depicting the organizations differently enough (well, aqua and magma are suspiciously similar and don’t have any issues working together, but they are such a sidenote, it doesn’t bother me.)

And then in the epilogue, there’s a glimpse of something much larger still. I love it. A lot of very unexpected turns with canon characters.

All in all, this fic functions a lot like a giant worldbuilding infodump, compressed into 9k and with a narrative to go with. And it works great! At the beginning, the bits and pieces of worldbuilding felt a bit clumsy, but once the narration found its flow, it worked seamlessly. It’s a very neat look into your universe and sootopolis with its unique culture and lore, while also looking over the edges of the crater and into the larger world. Love it a lot. It adds another layer of things going on to your existing stories, where it seems that everything goes back to wallace. But gio isn’t concerned with him really. Makes the world a lot livelier imo.

Then the way you worldbuilt Team Rocket, which is a very unique take. Giovanni possesses a great deal of empathy(?) which I haven’t seen him with often. He takes Proton’s feelings into consideration when assigning him the task, which is something any decent person should do, which also means it’s a big no from gio. He’s even remorseful for the damage done to sootopolis, and it’s not because of their economic loss. Also, making Gio religious is certainly a new thing to see for me! Very interesting, though not unbelievable, seeing the parallels between Rocket and the Italian mob.

The only minor complaint about them would be that their leadership structure seems comparatively weak for an organization of the size you implied. Proton is only one coffee away from murdering someone and Archer is surprisingly weak in his exchange with him. But hey, that comes from a dedicated Archer fangirl. (But yes, if your coworker threatens you with a knife, you should contact HR. And if you’re Archer, you should discreetly dispose of the other person in a ditch. You’re Gio’s favorite, you won’t get reprimanded)

Then we have aqua and magma, who operate as one organization in this story. I didn’t think they’d get much spotlight, so when Mitsumi scolded Proton about his violent approach, I was convinced that it was a setup for Proton to show even more violence. But no. This was the first sign of a serious rift between the two organizations, and it was very clear that Mitsumi got swallowed up in something way larger than she could control. Loved that one. I didn’t expect so much agency(?) from what could have been simple rocket grunts with no discernable personality.

The first four paragraphs were a bit too exposition heavy. The relationship labels take away from the honestly very good setting of the scene. In regards to the family relations: All in all, it’s a very simple setup: Two families of three (Proton, Lydia, Kris – Wallace, Winona, Ferdinand/Baby), where the two men are brothers in law. It might have been a bit clearer if you focused solely on that triangle and left all the other people of the extended family relegated to "family." But then again, the importance of family in sootopolis is heavily empathized.

With that being said, Proton’s sudden prioritization of Rayquaza over Kris felt a bit out of left field to me. The entire story he hyperfixated on his grudges against his family, and now that his daughter shows up, he manages to shove all emotions to the side? I expected him to either have a meltdown or a bsod, something along the lines. Not suddenly snapping back to the job he was actually supposed to be doing. That way, it wasn’t his family that was his downfall (hehe), but a plain old legendary.

I also felt like his urges to stab a bitch were too prevalent. He spends a lot of time applauding himself how very edgy and violent he is and I don’t think this is the mindset of a highly functioning rocket executive. Not the violent part, mind you. But the amount of ram he’s dedicating to these thoughts. I’ve seen many interpretations where Proton is the outcast amongst the admins because they see him as a standard issue enforcer who got promoted. They then went on to show how he’s not a violent thug ruled by his instincts, but a very intelligent, albeit less sophisticated than the other three, leader in his own rights. And that’s the edge I’m missing a bit in this interpretation. Gio seems like the hypercompetent syndicate leader that he is – having already established rainbow rocket and still holding on to mewtwo. For him to have someone as volatile as Proton on the team doesn’t make sense. (Or, in simpler words: You’ll save yourself a lot of trouble when your employee doesn’t stab the secretary to death every other week. Imagine the team-workshops it needs to get the others to work again. Let alone the hassle of finding new secretaries.)

Also, the scene breaks are inconsistent. It switches between three dashes and one dash.

Some of the scenes that stood out the most were the description of the pelipper airforce and then later when the e4 showed up. The pelipper scene was a very good mix of exposition and drama. Proton explaining calmly how the sootopolis defenses work while looking over a city burning is a perfect storm. I like the way the pelipper were described as sturdy and a force to be reckoned with (because I always see them as xp-sponges with their 4x weakness to electricity, rip many pelippers). The e4 showing up was a straight up goosebump-inducing moment. Amazing! Took me a while to figure out it was zinnia, because she seemed so… stable… But hey, the surprise cameo of drasna in my mind was a welcome one.

The usage of the news and Proton’s relationship with it. Amazing! Grade-A storytelling! Also, the way the fic went full circle back to silver. In the beginning he’s just a little device to get Proton thinking about his own kid, and I forgot about him, but then he comes back and it’s like a neat bow on a wonderful present! And proton not recognising him retroactively made me forgive Wallace for not recognising proton.

When the news (yes, them again) mentioned the numbers of casualties, pokemon and humans were pretty equal. It’s nothing world-shaking, but it’s a really nice touch to see that the mons didn’t get used as cannon-fodder.

Also, you squeezed in a respectable amount of canon characters, half of which I had to look up. And they didn’t feel out of place or forced in either.

And Ferdinand is a really cute duck.

Oh, and I’ll just mention once more how much I loved how the story opened and closed in on itself, with the news as a common thread. I can’t get over it, it’s so cool!

This is physically dark in sort of the same way that IAM is psychologically dark, for reference.

yes, good :copyca:

They should stay at home, learn the harsh reality of life, and come back when they’ve toughened up.

How would staying at home teach them the harsh reality of life?

Archer is standing over the table. I hate that bastard. He’s so serious and pretentious, like all the violinists I used to know, and he thinks that he’s so special just because he’s Boss’ favorite.

Daddy enters the scene :eyes:

My knife is to his throat: Athena, my beautiful girl. Her blade is a beautiful, shining silver. Her hilt is smooth, ebony wood with a red lacquer "R" carved in it.

omg, I absolutely stumbled over this line. Athena is the german name for Ariana, and that gives the mention of silver on the blade a new meaning. I went into several loops of where these unresolved tensions between Proton and Ariana came from, then I remembered to check the wiki.

So why am I not protesting against an attack on Sootopolis City? Because I’ll choose Team Rocket over Sootopolis City any day. Sootopolis City is a lost cause,

"Sootopolis City" is repeated a lot, and I don’t see it work as an intentional repetition here.

Fortune. Respect. It would be nice to afford my own apartment or home so I don’t have to sleep in the same room or building as those god damn grunts. It would be nice to be respected by the higher ups of Team Rocket. I originally joined Team Rocket for fortune and respect, but then it became an easy way to get away from my family.

Hold on! In what reality can a top tier rocket member not afford his own apartment? They run a casino. There’s enough money laundering for something to vanish in the process, if Rocket pays bad enough. Aside from that, I think Gio is intelligent enough to keep a psychopath like Proton well fed and content, because his loyalty has a low price. Also, wasn’t it established earlier that he’s already an Executive? Even if there’s that white-coat ranking among the executives, there’s still only three people above him.

Long story short: I think money isn’t a good motivator for Proton. But it’s also not a major dealbreaker here, since it’s only a sidenote

I don’t like the Team Aqua kids. No matter what multiverse they’re from, they’re nothing but pirate hippies. They give me shit for cutting off Slowpoke tails. They’re a bunch of fish-loving radicals, I swear. Idiots call Sootopolitans fish fuckers, but have those people seen Team Aqua?

No complaints here, Proton states the truth as it is.

Lance Psomas, second generation Sootopolitan immigrant born in Johto, coming back to visit his grandmother or some sappy shit. Ha! Isn’t Lance the name of the Indigo League Champion?

…Isn’t he dating one of my nieces?

Oh, kid, I’ve seen Torchic’s family tree… this is about the easiest connection you’ll have to figure out if you want to catch up on family affairs.

He leads me to the living room. A woman with lavender hair and cozy looking clothes is sitting on the sofa with a little duck Pokémon—I’ve never seen that kind of Pokémon before. It’s sleeping on her stomach. She looks three or four months pregnant.

BIG EYES!!!!!

She replies, "Well, hyperemesis gravidarum is… is a lot…" Her expression changes back to happiness. "We’re planning to have the baby shower a week from now, if all goes according to plan."

Nothing will go according to plan, but she doesn’t know that yet.

Two deities awaken and plunge the earth into a disastrous weather event? Sounds average for an american baby shower.

The duck quacks something, and the woman responds, chuckling: "No, not Lancey."

I can’t see why anyone would think she’s crazy…

She’s… She’s a kid any parent should be proud of." Good thing I’m not a parent.

Oh my god, the Levels of denial are just too tasty.

I’m like water in a silent stream as I glide through the streets of Central Sootopolis.

Nice play of words there.

The effects of the poison will leave him with dizziness, nausea, loss of appetite, exhaustion, maybe even delirium and hallucinations…

In other words: Wallace doesn’t notice a difference

I feel a surge of triumph seeing him so helpless. Here’s the pretty boy who got to have a happy life despite the fact that he’s a messed up, alcoholic freak, just like his dad. He thinks a duck can be a son. He can’t even stand up for his own city. And all the things the press revealed about him…

I’ve never done drugs or alcohol. I was a pretty good husband before I left Lydia. I was a normal person. Why did only one of us get to rise? Why did the heavens choose Wallace to be the special, perfect, pretty face of Sootopolis? Why did I have to be the one to get shunned and forgotten by my own family when the special kid is so fucked in the head? Aren’t I fucked in the head, too? Where’s my fame and fortune?

Oh! OOOOOOH! The LEVELS!!!!

and Archer… Archer has someone he abandoned. He seems like the type.

Oh yes, I’ve read my fair share of Archer fics and have my own curated headcanons, and yes… yes…

SparklingEspeon

This is certainly a unique one! Pretty clearly set in the Torchicverse, but also focusing on Team Rocket?? Count me in. While none of the team rocket executives from GSC get written for too much, Proton is kind of the odd duck out in that no-one writes for him. So it’s fun to see him getting some spotlight here! And you definitely have a very flamboyant take on him, I enjoyed it very much.

One thing I was really appreciating was the general background lore and depth you gave sootopolis here - like any pokemon city sootopolis has never felt particularly notable to me, but you’ve managed to make it feel like a city with its own distinct culture and history, from the way that it has a deep ethnic/religious background to the fact that it’s apparently got its own navy… because the rest of Hoenn just didn’t care about protecting it. (guess all Megalos’ Being A Terrible Person actually did get the city somewhere…) The place really felt like a real city with real culture, and having a place with actual background for the story to take place in did a lot.

Themewise - I really liked what was going on here. Proton is such a prima donna of a villain, but it’s this entertaining balance between absolute cartoon insanity hanging by a thread and the very realistic undercurrents of where his insanity is sourced from. He’s got a clear obsession with his blood family, and once he has the opportunity to even get close to them he forgets about the important mission completely and pursues his vendetta with total sadism. He’s a force of nature villain not unlike The Joker (and honestly, the two are very comparable), but he makes up for his one-noteness with his flamboyant persona and just a hint of nuance to elevate him beyond cartoon mustache twirling.

Proton ends up with a quick and brutal death, befitting of the psychopath he’s shown himself to be the entire oneshot, and the final scene is of Giovanni ruminating over that if he had known about Proton’s connection to Hoenn, he wouldn’t have sent him off like that. Which is a pretty somber note to end on. Even though his death was shocking, I can’t quite seem to dig up any remorse for him being gone, which seems to fit most of the characters in the fic as well. Which is, in my book, a pretty good accomplishment for writing a villain! Really good work with this one, and thanks for the read!

windskull

The execution of the villain theme was excellent. Proton is clearly established as a bad person from the very beginning. And everything that happens is a result of his actions. I really like the juxtaposition between him and Wallace. THey both have family issues and yet only one of them turned to a life of crime.

That said, I wish said juxtaposition came up a bit more naturally in the story—if it weren’t for the fact I know a bit about the universe thai fic is set in, it might not have been as obvious—but they both clearly have problems with their shared family that have affected them Negatively. But Wallace has done his best to be there for his family while Proton let himself get deep into Crime Boi Life.

For the most part, the prose was good. Everything flowed well and I only noticed one typo. But there were a couple spots where I think the prose could be improved, which I’ll talk about below.

So what if I have no reason to be torturing the kid? It’s fun.
The use of “to be” here is extraneous and it makes the wording a bit awkward. I would instead recommend just saying “So what if I have no reason to torture the kid?”

But Wallace’s family doesn’t see Ferdinand as our son. Most of them don’t at least. They think we’re crazy. Well, they say that, and they don’t get invited to the baby shower. It’s only fair.”
This kind of comes across as dumping baggage on a family member they don’t know well. Which is perfectly fine, to be honest, but I kind of wish Proton internally acknowledged that, questioning why they’re just telling him all this and enforcing that he doesn’t care.

But then the life of crime became more appealing than a life of being a father. At least I left some money to my wife and child, so don’t come after me and call me a negligent father. As far as I’m concerned, I’m not a father.
The fact that all three of these sentences end with “father” feels very repetitive, and comes across as kind of dull and droning. If that was your intention, then, that’s great, and it almost feels intentional, but it just kind of falls flat for me.

...witness the bloodshed in all its gory glory, the burning of ever home and shop and theater…
*every

This is probably just me personally, but I felt the ending didn’t quite lend to being a standalone oneshot. That’s not a bad thing in the grand scheme of things, since this is clearly tied to your other works (it’s very obvious who this is lol). But when viewed in isolation, the ending feels like it’s leading to something more, and then just ends. For the sake of the contest, I would have either cut the story off at the end of the news article, or possibly even with Proton facing the light, then added the rest upon public release. But again, that might just be a me thing.
Despite the fact that I brought up a lot of critiques. I actually thoroughly enjoyed this story. The villain pov is incredibly strong, and I found myself enthralled as the story reached the climax.

Overall, this was great story and an excellent execution of a villain story.

Last edited:

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
"What We Do For Our Children" by JoshTheWriter

"He's waiting in the other room," Matori said with a curt nod. "He seemed agitated." His secretary pushed back from the desk and rose to her feet, walking over towards the doors to the conference room.

Giovanni drew himself up to his full height and followed her. It would not do for the Champion to see him with shoulders sagging and exhaustion dogging his steps. He had only just arrived back in Viridian, finally returned after chasing down another lead on Mewtwo that went nowhere. At least this time, he had something that might be useful.

"Lance usually is," he replied. "He seldom graces us with his presence because something good has happened." He crossed the foyer with Matori, hand diving into his suit and removing the small artefact within. "Perhaps this will lighten his mood."

Read the rest on: AO3 | Thousand Roads

Judge Comments

bluesidra

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! CHRIST, THIS IS AWESOME! Holy shit. I don’t know who you are, but that was one hell of a ride, so thank you dear author for that experience. And excuse the following rambling that’s thinly disguised as a review.

This story has had me gripped from the first sentence to the very last one. The first half is exactly my jam. You nailed so many of them Rocket characters and gave me basically everything my Rocket fangirl heart desires. Serious, somber tone, Giovanni being someone to not fuck with, but so are Lance and Archer. Tbh, I did not expect Vicious and Domino to make an appearance, but hooray for more obscure anime villains I guess.

Characters great, worldbuilding and premise interesting, Hoopa and Rocket and all the way to Kalos very new. Prose solid, no typos found, easy to follow.

BUT DAYUM! THE SECOND HALF!

I have to admit, I was irate once the bane of my fandom-existence Ash showed up, but he was wiped out, and I can live with that. And from there, it got progressively more awesome. This is, sorry for the crudeness, an orgasm in action-scene form.

The serious nature and Gio’s and Silver’s probably complex feelings for each other got lost, but WHO CARES? IT IS AWESOME! Every new entry ups the last one, even when I thought things can’t get much more awesome three entries ago. Dianthia’s entrance? Chef’s kiss!

It felt a bit out of character for Gio to return Hoopa to her, but hey. It made the reveal at the end all the more mind-boggling (and, tbh, I had to stare at it for a while, asking whether that’s a relict from an old draft before I understood.)

Very very good! I did not expect this content on the one-shot I opened by chance just short before going to bed. The first half had me gripped with its grounding, the second part had me screeching in pure joy, holding on to the rim of my laptop. I could complain about tonal whiplash but WHO CARES? This is just too awesome.

The formatting was a bit off kilter. I read it in a gdocs that Negrek made from your entry, so a lot of forum formatting or whatever there was before got messed up. Next time, you could use something like *** to indicate a scenebreak instead of a double-space. Those survive formatting. But that’s a very minor complaint and more of a suggestion than anything. Even without the scenebreaks, it was pretty clear one or two sentences into the new scene that the setting had changed.

Depictions and mentions of torture.

Gooooood

Matori had been at his side since before he had even begun working with Lance when they had founded Rocket and taken up positions within the Indigo League.

Oooooh! Is this an AU or manga-verse? (Though I think manga-Lance was not affiliated with TR.) No matter what, I like this.

He waved off the concern again. "We have twisted science to our purposes before. It should be no small matter to do so again."

(mad voice) Science!!!

"Sir?" she asked carefully. "Shall I call for Archer?"

Lance and Archer? This is spoiling me!!!

Silver nodded again and turned away. He strode from the room without a further word, leaving Giovanni alone with the guilt of failed fatherhood.

Giovanni stood in his usual place by the window. A week had passed and Silver had not returned.

In dire need of a scenebreak here. I don’t know if it got lost in formatting or if it wasn’t there in the first place.

Archer approached him from the hallway behind him, white suit as immaculate as always.

THERE HE IS!!!!! though there is a lot less sexual tension than I’d like

Giovanni turned to the wiry man that had been working on the containment device. "Gideon, I presume?" he asked. "I've heard great things about your work."

He saw a glint of pride in the scientist's eye as the wiry man rose to his feet.

And probably an eyeroll from Archer

"Remember, you only have about an hour's worth of oxygen." Archer lifted Giovanni's dome helmet and placed it carefully into place. "So once you're satisfied, get yourself back through the ring. We don't need you getting lost in there. Hell, we don't even know where 'there' is."

Giovanni smirked. "Act like you wouldn't like that," he replied. "Then you could have complete control of Rocket, just like you always wanted."

Archer stepped back, looking over the space suit in a final check. Vicious stood behind him, already suited and ready. "While I make my ambition known, I am aware that without you at its head, Rocket would not be what it is." He smiled and nodded affirmatively. "I would be Lance's puppet, or even worse, lost in the quagmire that you pulled my life from. I owe my existence to you, and that has earned my loyalty." He gestured over his shoulder, at Vicious. "I would imagine that most of us agree, even if for less honourable reasons."

There’s the tension I was here for :big_eyes: But also, omg!!!

But Ash Ketchum was unstoppable.

Oh. My reading-boner has never been killed faster

"Alain, no!" the Champion was shouting. "You're too—"

WHAT? Dianthia is boning Alain? I did not expect that!

shrieked with awesome power.

That’s what I’ve been doing for most of this story

Giovanni turned, regarding the destruction. It stretched on as far as the eye could see, not a thing untouched by fire. He turned back to Silver, looking upon his son's injuries in proper light for the first time. "The things we do for our children."

Bro, your Hoopa stuff is what’s gotten him into this.

"You can stop it. One parent to another," she replied, desperate intent clear in her eyes.

Oh. Whoops. Might take back that boning part. It’s the scarf, isn’t it? It’s hereditary.

SparklingEspeon

There’s a lot to unpack for this one…

The most interesting thing upfront seems to be that Lance and Giovanni, though on opposite sides of the political boundaries, have joined forces to combat some kind of greater threat. It leads to a setup that is interesting, but itself seems to be the setup for a greater plot - the introduction of Hoopa into the narrative. Once Hoopa gets involved, a whole bunch of crazy things start to happen, including, apparently, the bringing over of a violence-crazed Ash Ketchum from another universe? I’m not sure what went on over there, but it doesn’t seem great. I also liked the firing of the chekov’s gun at the end of the oneshot, where the Giovanni presumably from that universe gets ahold of a hoopa for themselves, and decides to start Team Rainbow Rocket. It was a clever nod to how it apparently worked in USUM, which I thought was pretty clever.

Themewise - It took me a bit to figure out where I stood on this one for the theme, since it’s pretty vague. One can argue that we take the shoulder of Giovanni, stereotyped by the series as The Villain and that’s enough, but I’m feeling there’s maybe a bit more here than meets the eye with the theme. After some thinking, it seems like a reasonable assumption to say that the actual moral dubiousness as seen from the perspective of Giovanni is in the way he trained his son to be a super-soldier and then sent him off to be killed. It’s a decision he seems to be fairly washy about, ranging from apathy to grief over it depending on what point of the story it is, but eventually he’s going out to Kalos with his weapon of mass destruction and essentially, blowing the place up and causing countless more deaths just to rescue his son. And that’s where I feel the actual villainry comes in - he made a selfish choice as a result of another selfish choice, and that resulted in a ton of people dying. He doesn’t seem to regret it. Even going back to the beginning of the oneshot, the quote from the very top - “is it better to do something because it is right, or because it benefits you?” - seems to speak to this kind of ideology. Even if Giovanni did things that were right, he was ultimately doing what benefitted him at the end of the day.

One thing that did read as a bit odd to me was that I’m not really sure where the decision to go raze down Kalos for his son came from? It kind of felt like Giovanni just had this in his back pocket the whole time and decided to act on it at random. And I guess that’s valid, but I find myself kind of feeling like it’s Odd that we had this moment where he feels some glimmers of worry for his son once he learns about his imprisonment in Kalos, but then we just put the pause button on that to focus on Hoopa for a bit and then randomly return to this at a later point. I guess maybe he just doesn’t feel anything for him and only makes this move out of political concern, but then it feels like an odd halfway point where Giovanni is clearly burying these things, but then when his son basically disowns him at the end, his reaction is just “kcool” and he’s back to doing what he was doing before. I guess in short, I’m not really sure what this subplot is trying to say? Is Giovanni a heartless bastard, or someone trying to avoid facing all the things he’s done? A little bit of both?

Overall, given the sheer amount of things flying around here and the strange ways they all tie together, I’d say this was a pretty well constructed story - nice work!

windskull

Before I talk about the betrayed elephant in the room, let me first talk about everything else. This was a really interesting study on Giovanni and the culture of Team Rocket, and works well as a villain PoV story. It’s clear that Giovanni has selfish motivations and is willing to go to great, immoral lengths to reach it. But he still feels human. He clearly has things he cares about—namely Silver, even if in a roundabout way.

That said, there were some concepts that I really wished had been expanded upon. I know you were right up at the word count so you didn’t really have that option with regards to the contest, but it’s something I’d consider when you go to publish this publicly.

The primary thing that comes to mind is Giovanni’s feelings about Silver, and how he comes to the decision to rescue him. It’s definitely there in the story, but I felt like it needed more fleshing out. I wanted to see more of his feelings when he found out Silver had been captured. And I would have liked to see more of his thoughts when he was sending Silver out to begin with, and his feelings on being so hated by his child.

I also would’ve liked to see more at the very end, to make it clear that he didn’t need Hoopa not just because he’d rescued Silver, but because they’d already figured out ways to harness the interdimensional travel without it, or whatever you were trying to get across when you confirmed that this was the origin of Rainbow Rocket.

Overall I thought the prose worked well. There were only a couple of spots that I want to point out. One is a typo, and one is just a sport where the sentence structure felt a little wordy.

Nevertheless, Giovanni had co-opted it like so he had with so many other of Kanto’s top mind’s greatest creations.
You have an extra “so” between “like” and “he.”

The bunker was supposed to have been secret.
Archer and Proton were supposed to have stopped him.
Their vile abomination of mad science, the unholy fusion of fire, lightning and ice, was supposed to have stopped him.
“Supposed to have” came across as kind of wordy here, especially with the repetition of the phrase. The repetition is obviously intentional, so I have no issues there, but I think this would have read better as just “supposed to.”

Now let’s talk about Ash.

The freaking Ash betrayal section caught me totally off-guard. It was out of nowhere, but that was obviously intentional. I’m not going to lie, that was the part that really sold me on this story. Up to that point, the story had been good enough but overall very slow burn, making me wonder when things were going to come to a head. And then that just threw me for a loop and made me bust up laughing. But despite it being incredibly silly, it was integrated into the plot, which made it reasonable, in my eyes.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good story, and my only real critique is that I wished it was a bit more fleshed out. But as I said before, you came close to the word limit, so there was only so much to be done there. And even without fleshing those bits out, it was still an enjoyable reading experience. So good job!

Last edited:

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
And there you have it! Once again, a huge round of applause for our winners, as well as our judges, artists, and all the writers who came together to make this contest happen! At this point you may post whatever reactions you have in this thread, congratulate the winners, or discuss the contest in general!

Contest participants--please post links to wherever your stories have been posted once you put them up! I've missed a lot of stories in previous years because I didn't realize they had been posted anywhere yet. I'd like to gather as many entries as possible and make it easy for people to find and read all of the entries, so please do post your links. Also, it was requested that we create an AO3 collection for contest entries posted to that site, so I figured we'd give it a shot this year. If you post your contest entry to AO3, please feel free to add it to the Mischief and Malice collection!

Finally, this contest had our highest number of participants ever, which is wonderful! However, if the number of participants continues to rise, we will need to make some changes to the way contests are run in order to accommodate increased participation. Look out for discussion of what that might look like in a few days, once people have had a chance to digest the results.

Thanks for another wonderful yearly contest, all!

Inkedust

Harbinger of Sunrise
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. ninetales-inkedust
  2. solgaleo-inkedust
  3. xerneas
  4. zoroark-inkedust
Henlo.

First things first, congrats to the winners! Second, a massive thank you to the judges for all the work they put into reading and reviewing every entry. Finally, a massive shoutout to Negrek herself for hosting this in the first place! None of this would be possible without you!

I'll be working on uploading the FFN/AO3 versions shortly, but for now, I have gotten my entry posted here on the forum. Check it out!

Edit: And here be the FFN and AO3 mirrors.

Last edited:

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
Welp that went.

Kudos to our top threes and to everyone who helped with judging and running things!

I've some polishing to do then a formal repost... I'll post a link here when it's up to speed.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Merely a collector
Pronouns
Them
Partners
  1. shaymin
  2. dusknoir

I do think it’s interesting that Mitsumi seems to be a completely new character to the canon here? It might just be me being The Gen IV Fandom Blind One, but I never remembered anything about Cyrus having a ten-or-so-year-old around the base, especially not one that serves as his de-facto child… Perhaps it’s one of his commanders? I’m definitely interested to know more about the supporting lore behind that one, or if she’s just a completely original character. Perhaps she features in another fic somewhere?
Oh no, Sparkling Espeon (I can't seem to get rid of attributing the post to Negrek for some reason)! Mitsumi is a canon character! She's from the Diamond and Pearl Adventure! manga and knowing she's a Galactic is actually a massive spoiler (well, until the cover of volume 5 spoiled it).

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
Update 10.6.2022

and we're up to date again.... so yay? I'll poke at this when more stories pop up but I think that was like -does math-

11/20, we'll see if the other nine land at some point.

I'm hoping to toss a review off on whoever posts their contest work on this site... let's see how it goes...

Title: > Author: > (Progress)

"Dawning" by Farla (IP)

"The Drawing Board" by K_S (Well free pass here since it's mine, might update this when it's up and running/updated)

"Eidolon" by AbraPunk (finished 9.9.2022)

"Hunting Game" by Spiteful Murkrow (9.21.2022)

"Into Light" by canisaries (9.21.2022)

"Like You Belong" by kintsugi (IP)
"Nameless" by HelloYellow17 (9.21.2022)

"Negotiations with a Stranger" by Inkedust (9.9.2022)

"New Moon" by seatherny (Done 9.11.2022)

"A Perfect World" by BestLizard (10.6.2022 -man I took forever on that one)

"The Problem of the Pidove" by The Walrein (9.23.2022)

"Rebirth" by Seren (IP)

"Rouge Planet" by Commander Mercury (IP)

"A Sense of Self" by Blackjack Gabbiani (FINISHED 9.92022)

"Spun So Sugar Sweet" by vexology (9.11.2022)

"Stable Predictable Safe" by unrepentantAuthor (IP)

"Tarnishing" by kyeugh (IP)

"To Each His Own" by Lord Knee (IP)

"To Speak Again" by Starlight Aurate (IP)

"We Don't Speak His Name" by Torchic W. Pip (Finished 9.9.2022)

"What We Do for Our Children" by JosthTheWriter (IP)

Last edited:

canisaries

you should've known the price of evil
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. inkay-shirlee
  2. houndoom-elliot
  3. yamask-joanna
  4. shuppet
  5. deerling-andre
holy poggers i was so surprised to find out id placed!! and i know how much that means when the whole community is full of really talented writers. thanks to the judges and negrek for making this a possibility but also everyone who betad for me on discord and generally everyone chatting about their entries on there. it was really nice to be part of that. love you

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
So I'm hoping to toss a review off on whoever posts their contest work on this site... let's see how it goes...

Title: > Author: > (Progress)

"Dawning" by Farla (IP)

"The Drawing Board" by K_S (Well free pass here since it's mine, might update this when it's up and running/updated)

"Eidolon" by AbraPunk (finished 9.9.2022)

"Hunting Game" by Spiteful Murkrow (IP)

"Into Light" by canisaries (IP)

"Like You Belong" by kintsugi (IP)
"Nameless" by HelloYellow17 (IP)

"Negotiations with a Stranger" by Inkedust (9.9.2022)

"New Moon" by seatherny (IP)

"A Perfect World" by BestLizard (IP)

"The Problem of the Pidove" by The Walrein (IP)

"Rebirth" by Seren (IP)

"Rouge Planet" by Commander Mercury (IP)

"A Sense of Self" by Blackjack Gabbiani (FINISHED 9.92022)

"Spun So Sugar Sweet" by vexology (IP)

"Stable Predictable Safe" by unrepentantAuthor (IP)

"Tarnishing" by kyeugh (IP)

"To Each His Own" by Lord Knee (IP)

"To Speak Again" by Starlight Aurate (IP)

"We Don't Speak His Name" by Torchic W. Pip (Finished 9.9.2022)

"What We Do for Our Children" by JosthTheWriter (IP)
Legendary! Good luck with your quest. :)

I've added links to all the fics that I'm aware of that have been posted so far. Brief reminder to post here or otherwise send me the link when you post your story, and to add it to the Mischief and Malice collection if you put it up on AO3!

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie

seatherny

Altareon made by Bluwiikoon <3
Partners
  1. marowak-alola
  2. ho-oh
Congrats to vexology/aer, Torchic, and canisaries! :veelove: And of course, thank you to the judges for their hard work and to Negrek for hosting!

My entry is on TR here. :quag:

canisaries

you should've known the price of evil
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. inkay-shirlee
  2. houndoom-elliot
  3. yamask-joanna
  4. shuppet
  5. deerling-andre

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
All right, we've seen around half the contest one-shots posted, and before the contest is too far in the rear-view, I want to talk a little about what contests may look like in the future.

We had twenty-one entries this year, which is wonderful! I love to see people getting excited about the theme, and the more wonderful stories we get out of the event, the better. However, we are getting close to the maximum of what I think I can reasonably ask anyone to read, judge, and review in a reasonable amount of time. If the number of entrants per year continues to grow, especially at the rate it has been, I am worried that we're going to exceed the amount of work I'd be comfortable asking the judges to put in with our very next contest. That means reevaluating how contests will work in a world where we can't reasonably expect judges to read, review, and rank the entire pool of entrants in a sane amount of time. I wanted to get input from the community on which of these options you might prefer ahead of time, rather than springing something on you next year if we ended up receiving 25+ entries for our contest.

Please note that for those measures that can be changed after the number of entrants is known (e.g. extending the judging period, but not reducing the word limit, which impacts how people write their stories), these options would only be taken in cases where a substantial amount of fics were entered. In cases where the number of entrants is small (~20 or fewer stories), we'll have judges read and review all fics, try to get things turned around in about two months, etc.--these are my preferences for contests when it's feasible to stick with them, and I would imagine most other people's as well.

That said, these are some options I've been kicking around to reduce the burden on judges while allowing for a higher number of entrants without degrading the quality of the contest itself. If you have any additional suggestions, please throw them out there! None of these are entirely satisfactory, for sure, so any alternatives you can think of are much appreciated.

Small Changes

These are small alterations to the way that contests run that could possibly be used in combination with some of the larger changes proposed below to reduce the burden on judges. I think that, used alone, they would probably only buy us 1-2 more years before we'd have to consider some of the big changes if the number of entries received continues to increase at the rate it has over the past couple years.

Reduce the Word Limit

As was pointed out during the writing period, the amount of text the judges had to read for this contest was approaching 150k, and if we got another ~5 entrants next year again, the total word count could scrape 200k. Cutting the word limit to 5k or 7k instead of 10k would reduce the amount of reading the judges would have to do and could perhaps allow us to accommodate a few more entries without needing to reconsider the judging structure.

Extend the Judging Period

I typically try to aim for contest results to be turned around in 2-3 months. Realistically, it usually takes more like 3-4 months. Our team of judges just absolutely crushed it this year! Giving the judges more time to read and write reviews may increase the number of entries they can handle.

Large Changes

In order to accommodate 30+ entries, I think we will need to reevaluate how judging is done. At that point I don't think it's reasonable to ask that judges read and review every story on any kind of short timeline. These are some changes to the structure of judging that would accommodate more entries while still providing entrants with quality feedback from at least some of the judges. It should be noted that for these measures to be effective they require more judges, generally five to six.

Judges Read all Entries, but Do Not Review all Entries

This one is pretty simple: each judge would read and rank all entries, but would be randomly assigned to review only part of them. In a scenario with five judges and thirty entries, with a desire for each entrant to receive three reviews, for example, each judge would read everything but only be asked to review eighteen. Which is still a fair number! With six judges this would instead be fifteen reviews a person, and so on.

Theoretically you could have a set of judges who do nothing but read and rank the entries and another set who do nothing but review the entries, but I think it's important that judges review at least a majority of what they read, so entrants can at least get a sense of why they may or may not have placed, rather than getting feedback from people totally uninvolved in awarding the top places. However, you could imagine a scenario where there are only four judges who actually read and rank everything, with a fifth (or more) people only reading and reviewing requested entries. In this case each judge would only have to review fifteen fics for all entrants to get two (or more) judge reviews and at least one additional review from a reader who wasn't involved in judging.

Judges Neither Read nor Review all Entries

This style of judging would involve two phases: one in which judges are given a subset of fics to read and are instructed to choose their top three, and then a second phase where judges read all those fics that were in someone's top three and choose their ultimate top three from among them. This alleviates both some of the reading and some of the reviewing burden on the judges. In a scenario where there are 30 entries and five judges, each judge would read and review an initial pool of twelve fics (each fic being given to two judges to help reduce variability a little bit). They would then read the second pool of fics, which would be between zero and twelve additional fics, and the remaining reviews would be divvied up such that each judge would would do six more. In this scenario, each judge would read between eighteen and twenty-four fics and write eighteen reviews.

Run Two Contests Per Year

Two contests per year, with the caveat that everyone would only be able to submit to one per year, would theoretically cut the number of entries per contest in half and allow us some breathing room before worrying about the amount of work the judges for either individual contest would need to take on.

Inkedust

Harbinger of Sunrise
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. ninetales-inkedust
  2. solgaleo-inkedust
  3. xerneas
  4. zoroark-inkedust
Hi, hi! I posted my thoughts on this on the discord but decided that I may as well share them for further discussion/more in-depth talk. Gonna run through my thoughts on the proposals one-by-one.

Reduce the Word Limit
  • I'm personally very mixed, leaning negative, towards this. I find the 10K limit to be a good median for a contest like this and even then, there have been many, many cases where entrants are forced to fight against it. This has led to a few extreme cases where the entry's quality was compromised because entire scenes had to be cut or the pacing had to make a bolt towards the finish line in order to fit into 10K (cough cough, Over the Winds and Waves, cough cough). Even lowering the limit down to something like 7K will exacerbate that. Initially, I'd thought that this option was more judge-friendly but after hearing Espy's thoughts on it... I don't think it'd change all that much? The judges would still have the same amount of one-shots to review meaning the workload would be about the same as before - especially seeing that these contests tend to rake in entries with wildly varying wordcounts.
Extend the Judging Period
  • I don't see too many issues with this solution, it's by far the least intrusive option of the bunch. There are, however, a couple caveats to this statement. For one, if future contests will implement this solution, it should be made clear that judging will take a while to help curb any impatience with the entrants. Furthermore, while it is a simple, unintrusive solution it does have its limits and more solutions would have to be put in place once the contests become big enough (i.e. 30+ entries), which does make sense for what's listed as a small change.
Judges Read all Entries, but Do Not Review all Entries
  • Okay, time for the big ones. For a large contest that breaks 30+ entries, I don't have too many issues with this one. It reduces the workload to something a lot more realistic/manageable while also keeping the general spirit and fairness of the contest intact. I like it, wouldn't mind if this became the norm in future contests, but it isn't my preferred option for reasons we'll get to in a bit.
Judges Neither Read nor Review all Entries
  • I don't like this one. It feels like an inferior, more unfair version of the above. This proposal can run the risk of some weird fudging/edge-cases where an entry could fall through the cracks because an entry had the unfortunate luck of being handed to a set of judges who didn't vibe with it very much while the judges who didn't read it might've ranked it higher. It also doesn't account for entries that were ranked relatively high but didn't make it into the top 3 for one reason or another. Additionally, reading is not where the bulk of the work comes in for the contest so the workload wouldn't be all that different from the above.
Run Two Contests Per Year
  • This is, by far, my favourite solution of the bunch. Not only is it efficient in reducing workload but it is a lot more friendly to the entrants themselves. Assuming I've got it right (where the two contests share a theme and judges and are being run at different times of the year), it's far more flexible in terms of scheduling since someone who's busy during the writing stage of Contest 1 could be free for Contest 2 or vice versa. It would also help mitigate the unfortunate affliction of "oh no, I got a perfect idea for the contest just a day after it ended!" that I see every now and again. If I am wrong about this and they straight up are two entirely separate contests, I would still advocate for this since it still has that flexibility+entrants can write for their preferred theme.
I don't have much to offer in terms of my own ideas here, so I'll leave it at that. TL:DR: for small changes, I would extend the judging period and for large changes, I would run two contests per year. Interested to see what others would have to say about this though!

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Pronouns
Any
Partners
  1. reshiram
I'm in favor of extending the jujdging period and running two contests per year, as long as each contest (of the two per year) has separate sets of judges

The Walrein

Vicinal Dragging for the Truth
Partners
  1. gulpin
  2. kricketot
  3. bulbasaur
Congratulations to the winners, and thanks to bluesidra, SparklingEspeon, and windskull for getting so much judging done so quickly!

I just posted my entry to TR if anyone wants to take a look at it; it's almost entirely unchanged from the contest version, modulo some minor syntax fixes.

Regarding future contests - I think I'd favor having two contests per year with longer judging periods if need be. I assume that the themes for both year's contests would be announced at the same time so writers could pick which one they wanted to enter? Also, it might be interesting to experiment with having a contest with a much lower wordcount limit, maybe something in the 1,000 to 3,000 range.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Thanks to everyone who's been posting their stories and sending me the links! I've updated the round-up post with everything I've got so far.

Thanks also to all the people who've shared thoughts on changes to the contest structure, too, whether here or on Discord. Right now, it seems like extending the judging period and running two contests per year are the most popular options. However, it's become clear that I didn't really say what I meant by "two contests," so I figured I'd clarify here.

Initially I was thinking along the same lines as it sounds like Walrein is thinking--two contests held at different times of year with different themes and different judges. This is still an option! However, after some discussion on Discord, I've been leaning more towards what would essentially be two iterations of the same contest run simultaneously. In this model, writers would submit their fics as usual, and then those fics would be randomly assigned to one of two sets of judges, who would do their ranking and reviewing as normal. If anyone has thoughts on this particular option, let me know!

Also, it might be interesting to experiment with having a contest with a much lower wordcount limit, maybe something in the 1,000 to 3,000 range.
A contest for shorter fics could be fun! Might be possible to run it as a shorter event, too... An interesting twist. Might be possible to do it as part of a contest's "theme" for one year as well.

Top Bottom