• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon MintyMimix's Drabble Collection

MintyMimix

Otherworldly Dessert
Pronouns
They/Them
Partners
  1. lurantis
  2. noivern-astrea
Drabbles I make will be indexed here! The majority of these do not have a longer fanfic tied to them and are primarily intended for writing practice! I am okay with light constructive criticism, but please keep it to mechanics or narrative structure rather than to the concepts!

Drabble Anniversary Bingo 2023
Matter/AntimatterAurora BorealisBlue Moon
Black HoleIonosphereMagnitude
Big BangPlasmaSatellite

Plasma: Allusions to emotional abuse & arson
Ionosphere: Apocalyptic event, on-screen death, themes of abandonment
Aurora Borealis: On-screen physical abuse, allusions to torture
Look into the flames and see, my old partner:
The memories of our friendship,
The wise words of the King,
The freedom we offered you,
The loyalty you showed when you still stood by me!

Look into the flames and see, my old compatriot:
The sacrifices we made to achieve our dream,
The heretics we snuffed out for the sake of peace,
The blaze we set upon the establishments of the old,
So that the world of truth and liberty may rise from their ashes!

Look into the flames and see, my old rebel:
The doubt in your eyes when we finished our last mission together,
The faltering fire you had as we returned to the castle,
The strange guilt you felt when we righteously took away the Pokémon from those trainers,
The betrayal that I felt when you turned your back on me and ran!

Look into the flames and see my old memory:
When I burned down the gyms of slavery,
When I tore apart the leagues of violence,
When I captured those greedy breeders,
When I crushed all those kidnapping devices owned by the corrupt…

I did it all for you!
I did it to set you free!
I did it to ensure you wouldn't suffer the sordid fate of a slave!
I did it because it was our righteous duty!

So why, why then?
Why have you sided with them?
Why have you burnt down everything we have built this upon?
Why do you look down on me with such pity?!

“Because, my former trainer,” You said as we stood on the opposite side of the flames,
“It was never about me or my needs.
It was about the satisfaction of being right.
It was a love only for your ego.”

And as the flames forced us further apart, I asked,
“Why don’t you want to be free?”
And to that, you replied,
“Did you ever ask me what I wanted?”

And you were gone once again in a flash.
Station 108
Location: Ionosphere 108km above Galar at 51.5072° N, 0.1276° W

The ordinarily stiff and sterile halls of Station 108 broke out of its shy shell as it spoke of a sparkling celebration. Streamers and balloons lined the walls as muffled music echoed throughout the empty passages. As one would approach the captain’s quarters, they would find a safety code violation in progress as hundreds of people gathered to drink, dance, and dine in a ritual of ultimate indulgence.

It was, after all, the end of the world.

One particular wallflower resigned herself to the resting quarters. A hurricane had blown in as crumb-laden sleeping bags and carelessly tossed blankets littered the room. Many of these objects had covered up the various trinkets, knick-knacks, and heirlooms the civilians had brought aboard during the evacuation — something precious to hold onto while waiting for the clock to hit zero.

Yet there was no greater storm than the one just a few thousand meters below. The woman peered down the window of the orbiting station with eyes filled with melancholy. Only just a month ago would one be able to admire the planet’s beauty from so high in the Ionosphere, but now only tar clouds of pure malice and violent red lightning enveloped the skies below. The woman let out a sigh. If only they had seen the signs sooner.

Her fists clenched as she sharply inhaled. There was no use in spending her last few moments just moping around. She dug through her backpack and sifted past the now empty Pokéballs to pull out her pocket journal and a pen. She quickly flipped past sketches of her old team — wincing as her eyes caught glimpses of her former partners — before finally arriving at a blank page. Pen met paper as her final words formed.

If you’re reading this, then one of two things happened:
Either we lived through this and it’ll just be one big nightmare that finally passed, or…
You’re what’s left. Kudos for learning Galarish, by the way. It’s a tough language.

The woman bit her lip. Not even three lines in and she already went off on a tangent.

You’re probably wondering what exactly happened. It’s a bit tough to say, but…

The woman clicked her pen over and over again, trying to find the right words.

…we screwed up. Royally.

She let out a deep sigh as the events slowly trickled back in.

Have you heard of Eternatus? Hopefully, you haven’t by the time you’re reading this. Big red glowing monster with toxic miasma and all kinds of sharp looking limbs along its cords. It’s almost like if you turned a Duraludon into a spine, then injected pure, raw energy throughout.

And it’s powerful. So much so that a lot of the higher-ups decided that using it as a source of infinite energy throughout the world was a great idea. It was free, easy to extract, and sped up everything: communications, transportation, commerce, you name it. And it could also be used in certain places to make for battles between enormous Pokémon. When I was a kid, I thought they were the most amazing spectacles!

The woman shook her head in disappointment. Anytime someone made an offer that sounded too good to be true, it usually was.

Every time we used that energy — every engine starting, every phone call made, even every time we turned on the lights — it absorbed the Aura from humanity and fed it right back into Eternatus. The official reports kept saying that it was like a benign bacteria. Something that wasn’t harmful to anyone and our immune systems would adapt to quickly.

But all us on the inside knew what was going on: we were being sucked dry by a parasite that had entered every facet of society. And no one at the top wanted to do anything about it. It would break their precious bottom line.

She let out a growl.

I’m just grateful that Pokémon are immune to the siphoning effect.

The woman briefly placed her finger on the left side of the journal and lifted to peek at the previous pages. After a few seconds of contemplation, she set it back down. Even just seeing pictures of her team again could put her into another teary crumble, she thought to herself. She had to just keep writing.

We did what we could at a grassroots level, but it was already too late. By the time we tried spreading the word to the public, Eternatus broke out of its shackles. The monster tore through cities, roads, and even people. With every roar, a surge of energy forced our Pokéballs to open, and in many cases, caused them to go on a rabid rampage. Some even became titans and began their own reign of terror.

The woman clutched down harshly onto the left side of the journal. Don’t think about them. They survived. They were free and happy now even without her around. They had to be.

Who knew Team Flare of all people would end up having something ready for this?

She let out a sordid chuckle as her grip lessened.

The Ultimate Weapon. They channeled it with that energy and turned it into a sort of anti-Eternatus cannon. I don’t know the exact science behind it, but it would wipe out that monster for sure. There was just one problem…

Her brows dropped as she wrote down the undeniable truth.

We’d all get caught in the blast and die along with the monster.

The woman put her pen down and let the words settle into her mind again. Even from their incredible elevation, it was likely that the weapon’s shockwave would reach them. She briefly wondered if the pen’s ink would even last through something like that.

She slowly turned her head as she stared at the clock. Her eyes widened as she realized just how little time she had left: five minutes until doomsday. She yanked the pen back up and wrote more furiously.

“We” as anyone infected, that is. Human beings. Thankfully, not the Pokémon below.

They took us up here on one of these space stations as a way to try to get us to some semblance of safety. We'll all still be evaporated, but, hey, at least people get to party for a bit and live out the rest of the good times they got before it all goes kaboom.

Her hand shook as the clock’s clicks and loud beats of the bass down the hall taunted her. Curse her wandering mind. She should’ve just said that important part from the get-go. Not like anyone would have responded to her musings, anyways.

To anyone that’s reading this, I just want to say two things:

1. We’re so, so sorry for the hell we’ve wrought. I’m praying with all of my heart that this last ditch effort wasn’t in vain. That the world left over becomes a garden for new life to arise. Whatever we leave behind is yours.
  2. Please don’t make the same mistakes we did. Don’t let the greedy and the selfish hold power over you. Don’t let illusions of grandeur from a sudden revolution blind you to the blood beneath its inception. Perform your due diligence. Hold those in power accountable. And most importantly: show love and care to your fellow kin.
Three minutes left.

Those people up top — the ones that ensured we’d all be fine, that everything was going to be okay and that we had nothing to worry about? They’re gone now. No one knows where they went. Maybe they blasted off farther into space, or found some bunker underground with some fancy shielding, or they hopped into another world or something. But they took their ill-gotten gains and greedy riches and left us all to die. And we all just let it happen.

Be better than we ever were. Question your assumptions. Question anyone with power. And most importantly: don't be like those monsters. Be kind and genuine to others.

One minute.

And if it’s the Pokémon reading this: we treasure you, and always have. We’ll miss you.

Take care, partners.

Zero.

The lights went out all at once as a sense of weightlessness shot through her body. The air itself thinned until finally a chill unlike anything she had ever felt before coursed through as though a glacier had been slowly freezing and spreading inside her.

Her eyes glanced down as her now blue cheeks contrasted the pillar of red that had shot up from the planet. Within seconds, the beam surged with a tsunami of crimson and white energy that swept the clouds away and revealed Eternatus below writhing in agony. It let out a long, silent roar as it faded into thin dust.

The energy wave quickly reached the space station.

The woman felt several pounds lighter as all feeling in her limbs disappeared. In fact, they were missing entirely — crumbled to ashes. In her final, fleeting moments, she managed to get one last look at her home planet. And it was the most beautiful sight she could have ever laid her eyes upon: a lush, green and blue world completely cleared of that horrible monster. A new beginning. A paradise for her old Pokémon partners.

A single tear fell from her face as her will faded. It was the only remnant of her left as she disintegrated into oblivion.
An ocean of red bled into the white walls as the emergency lights flashed on. The blaring alarm acted as the crashing waves to a turbulent sea of sound that masked anxious footsteps. I could barely hear my own ragged breath as the P.A. system drabbled a monotonous list of evacuation and capture orders within the storm of noise. My clammy palms clutched the egg as I firmly secured it to my chest. I wasn’t about to let any of these monsters get their greasy paws on a life as precious and fleeting as this.

I sharply inhaled through my teeth as my ears picked up the stomping of boots not too far away. I scoffed and swerved down another path. An illusion would’ve made this so much easier. The steel bracelet tied around my ankle felt heavier than ever as my sprint slowed. Of course the humans would find a way to take away even my kin's signature ability. They were all crooked thieves and sadists.

As I came upon another crossing, I turned to one side and sent a Shadow Ball down the corridor. I then twirled on my foot and ran in the opposite direction. That distraction ought to have bought me more time.

That left only the problem of the exit. A trainer and his two Weavile stood firmly at the secured metal door as their sharp eyes caught me in their sights. The two Pokémon sharpened their claws and crouched down ready to pounce as soon as I closed the gap. I wanted to wipe those arrogant smirks off their faces, but I couldn't fight under these circumstances.

Still, I'd make them think I was meeting their challenge. I channeled a pale green energy into my hand as I charged in. They readied their own claws to retaliate, but I swiped early in a feint and jumped back just as they slashed down. There was my opening.

Despite the anklet’s weight, I managed to leap across the trio and burst past the door to the outside. Never was I more grateful to see barren fields of ice in a winter hellscape. It was freedom!

I let out a feral yell as the metal bracelet clamped down. It dug into my skin and fur as it issued a shock unlike anything I had ever felt before. Pain. Excruciating, agonizing pain.

The egg dropped from my grasp with a plop. I let out another screech as I barely mustered the strength to raise my arm, but it was too late. The egg rolled down the mountain farther and farther away as I planted chin-first onto the cold, harsh ground.

Whether it was a stroke of fortune or just because it was a bunch of tough guys wanting to protect their egos, the guards didn’t seem to care that I had been a few pounds lighter. They caught their prey. I craned my neck up praying to the heavens above that I managed to rescue the egg in time — that it would still survive even in the harsh conditions outside.

A throbbing blunt pain met my sides as the two Weavile started kicking me repeatedly hoping to crush my will into submission. My vision faded at the edges, and my hope became ever more fleeting. A sign. I just wanted a sign that my efforts weren’t in vain.

Despite the thorough beatdown, I strained my aching neck to look up towards the sky. Then, I saw it: a gorgeous stripe of colors and wonder that pierced the very heavens above. The glistening aurora above whispered reassurances and serenity as it guided its loving hand towards the horizon. My squinting eyes then saw it: the egg, still in-tact, being taken in by what looked to be a concerned Kangaskhan.

Relief washed over my body as a tearful smile etched onto my maw. I didn’t care that the air was swiftly forced out my lungs with a stomp. I didn’t care that my sight went completely dark. I didn’t care about the overwhelming pain that had felt like several hammers had pounded at my bones. The egg was safe.

A life, once fleeting and forced into a frightful fate, now had the chance to shine like the colors above.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
MITNY PLASMA SLAPS WOW??? I JUST REEAD IT I HAVE SO MANY FEELINGS

I love it. I love the mystery building to a sense of understanding and then the reveal. I love that it ouches on something I feel like I have always wanted tos ee touched on, that the qualm of the Plasma issues has as much to do with ego as it does anything else. I adore the poetry and the repeated line 'look into the flames' and the IMAGERY the reshiram imagery the way it goes from partner, to compatriot, to rebel,,,
Sorry Im just, gushing, it really hit my buttons, I love it

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
All of these are bangers.

Ionosphere is grim and frightful yet hopeful in a way too, but sad. Big oof for humanity, whoops.
Aurora makes me want to know way more about the context - I guess its about a pokemon being held captive, maybe in a lab or something? I think its a Zoroark, hence the mention of illusions, and it seeks to escape, or at least give a better life to its precious egg.
Loved the whump in this one, and the distant sense of hope as it sees that at least it gave freedom to the egg. :sadwott:. Excellent stuff!!!

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
FINALLY SOME GOOD FUCKING MINTY WRITING.

Man dude, you went hella hard with these. I really liked plasma, and slowly realizing it was about N, but I think my favorite was certainly Ionosphere. I don't know exactly what I was expecting, but it wasn't THAT. End of the world fics always freak me out a little bit, but they're like car crashes--I want to look away but I can't LMAO. ESPECIALLY when they're so well-written and invoke such an "oh shit oh no" feeling in me. Aurora Borealis was interesting too, because I feel like that was part of a much larger work??? THAT YOU WILL BE POSTING RIGHT??? RIGHT????

Top Bottom