• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Midnight Hollow Pokemon School- Book 1

AceTrainerWesley

Espeon Lover
Pronouns
He/Him
Summary:

Jason Paths, an anxious young boy, has just turned 10 years old, and is eager to start his Pokémon Journey! But just before it can begin, he receives an invitation to go to a specialized Pokémon Training school called "Midnight Hollow Pokémon School" to learn how to properly train and care for Pokémon after the devastating incident caused by Team Galactic two years ago. He finds himself conflicted between the promises he's made, his fears of abandoning his mother and becoming like his missing brother, his trauma from the torment he was subject to in Grade School, and the remains of a cruel past.

Shortly after he arrives at the school, strange things begin to occur- from an organization calling itself Team Rocket stealing Pokémon from Trainers, strange nightmares plaguing Jason's sleep, and large-scale power outages occurring across the city. Jason must find the Courage he doesn't believe he has if he wants to keep his friends, his Pokémon, and himself safe, as he discovers clues as to what could be hidden deep within the City, and the School

Greetings, and welcome to Midnight Hollow Pokémon School!

Midnight Hollow is loosely inspired by the Harry Potter series, but within the Pokemon World! I hope you enjoy the story I have to tell! Any and all feedback is appreciated- don't be shy, I would love to hear your thoughts and improve my writing! Also, I'm not used to posting long things like this on a forum, so bear with me if my formatting sucks XD

This story, while mostly clean and wholesome at first, will delve into darker themes as it goes on- such as Bullying, Neglect, Pokemon Abuse and Experimentation, Violence, Death, and Trauma. Discretion is advised.

As I may or may not need to state: I do not own Pokemon, or any official Pokemon Characters. Most OCs belong to me, but a few belong to some dear friends of mine! (Professor Shade, Kieren, etc.)

Last edited:

AceTrainerWesley

Espeon Lover
Pronouns
He/Him
Chapter 1
A Curious Encounter

Ten years. I’ve waited for tomorrow for ten years! Well, if you want to be technical about it, nine years and three-hundred sixty four days. Every kid’s tenth birthday is a big deal. It’s the day that they get a Pokémon! A partner! A friend for life! It’s the day that their life is changed. Some people keep their Pokémon as pets, whilst others go on to research Pokémon, whether it be studying their moves, types, effect on the environment, or just how they behave in the wild or in human captivity. Some even play sports or perform in contests with their Pokémon!

The most popular pick, however, is becoming a Pokémon Trainer! That’s what I’m going to do. I’m going to travel around the world, and fight other trainers in the hope of becoming a Pokémon Master! In just about every city in the world, there’s a Pokémon gym! When you beat a gym leader, you get a badge. If you collect eight badges, you can challenge the Pokémon League, and fight to become the Pokémon Champion!
I stood up on my bed, opened the window, and gazed up at the moon and all the stars twinkling around it in the sky. The cool Twinleaf Town breeze filled the room, brushing through my hair.

With stars in my own eyes, I took a deep breath, and shouted at the top of my lungs to the moon, “I AM GOING TO BE THE GREATEST POKÉMON TRAINER EVER! I WILL!”

Multiple lights flicked on in neighboring houses, and a few people opened their windows and began shouting as well. I couldn’t really hear what they were saying, but I wasn’t too concerned about it. However, I was concerned about the fact that I heard my mother’s door creak open, and footsteps begin to ring down the hall.

I slipped under my blankets and squeezed my eyes shut. Mom opened the door and turned on the lights. “Jason?” I let out a snoring sound. In retrospect, it sounded more like a cubchoo snorting.

“Jason,” My mother sighed tiredly. “Jason, why are you still awake? It’s two-thirty in the morning.”

I faked another snore.

“Jason,” Mom yawned, “I know it’s your birthday tomorrow, but could you please try to get some sleep?”

Knowing the jig was up, I turned and said, “I’m sorry mom… but I’m too excited.” I got up and began jumping on my bed, “I’m going to get a Pokémon tomorrow and become the best Pokémon Trainer in the WORLD!”

Mother chuckled, “I’m sure you are, but not on four hours of sleep. You need to get up bright and early tomorrow so you can get your Pokémon from Professor Rowan in time.”

“But Mom, I’ve already tried to go to sleep! I just can’t!” My mind was literally buzzing like a Ninjask! One second I was thinking about which Pokémon I would pick as my starter, the next I was thinking about all the epic battles I was going to have, and the one after that was about what Pokemon I would have on my team!

“How about I read you a lullaby,” Mom suggested.

“A lullaby isn’t going to help,” I insisted. “I’m not a baby, mom!”

“Maybe not,” Mom chuckled as she patted my head, “But you’ll always be my little goofball!” She then paused for a moment. “You know,” she began, “Your father and your brother would love to see you right now…” A tear ran down Mom’s face.

Dad had died eight years ago. Mom told me that he died a hero, but we never actually learned how he died. The Ranger Union told Mom all they could, but most of the details were classified information. My brother also left to go on his journey only a month after Dad’s funeral. Since I was so young, I never had a chance to know either of them.

“I’m going to miss you, you know,” Mom choked, “it’s… it’s not going to be easy without anyone around…”

I wanted to say something to cheer Mom up, but nothing came to mind. We sat in silence for a few minutes embracing each other under the night sky. She left my room a few minutes later and wished me goodnight. “Do you want your window to stay open, or should I close it for you?”

“Open please!”

She smiled at me and left. I sat on my bed in total darkness, watching the ceiling, unable to bring myself to sleep, worrying if tomorrow would be the last day that I see mom. No, it can’t be! I’ll come back to visit, for sure! I won’t be my brother!

Through the walls, I could hear Mom crying. I sighed and lifted my hand to my face. As I stared at my palm, I thought confidently, I’m not going to be my brother! I repeated this inside my mind. I stared back to the window and noticed something pressed up against it, and it was staring at me. I jumped as I noticed its two large, yellow eyes staring at me, seeming to glow in the dark. It floated around in a circle, not blinking.

I slowly got out of bed, my eyes locked with its own. A moment of silence passed before the pokemon finally said, “Mesprit?”

I tiptoed across the room, not daring to get Mom’s attention again, and flicked the lights on. The Pokémon hovering there was unlike any that I’ve ever seen. It had a small body, with two tails. Its face had four long, pink, hair-like appendages on its head. On its forehead, there was a red jewel. Upon further examination, I noticed two other red jewels on both tails. I slowly said, “h-hi?”

The Pokémon continued to stare at me curiously. I’ve never seen this Pokémon before! I thought with awe, I’ve never seen it on any of the Programs on T.V.!

It tilted its head. It looked like it was... reading my mind? Suddenly, it flew into my room and began looking around. Well… it didn’t have any wings, so it just kind of floated into my room. I watched it explore my room. Eventually, it began to touch some of my belongings. It was so interesting to watch it open books, curl up in my blanket, then fly around the T.V. while wearing the blanket, giving it a close semblance to a ghost.

Eventually, it floated over to the door. It stared at me deeply, as though it was trying to read my mind again. It stared at the doorknob and then back to me again. Suddenly, I realized what it wanted. “I’m sorry little guy,” I said apologetically, “but my Mom’s trying to sleep, and I can’t wake her up or she’ll yell at me.”

The Pokémon suddenly looked unimpressed, and it grabbed my hand and nudged it towards the door. I whispered furiously, “Stop! I can’t wake up Mom or she’ll get mad!”

It’s cheeks flared, and it then began pulling on my arm. “Mes-priii!”

“I can’t!” We pulled away from each other. It flew off my arm and I stumbled back a few steps. It stopped itself midair, and twirled to face me again. It grumbled, and suddenly I was hurled into the air. “Wah! Hey, let me down!”

It shook its head with a firm, “Mes-sprit!” It zoomed over to the door and set me back onto the ground in front of it. It pointed at the door again and looked back at me sternly.

“No!” I cried. “You’re gonna wake my mom up!”

It rolled its eyes and flew back. I gave a relieved sigh, then looked up to see that it had a vase floating next to it. “Mespri, mes!” It said warningly, as it pointed at the doorknob again. “Mesprrri-sprit!”

“Ah! Woah, o-okay! Just don’t drop that! Mom says it was a gift from…” I sniffled, my mood dropping. “From my… father.” As I said this, the Pokémon looked shocked. It set the vase down carefully. Do you… know him? I wondered. Suddenly, it flew around me in a circle three times, and it sprung up to my face. It stared deeply into my eyes, and then it tapped my nose. Three rubies suddenly flickered, one on its head, and the other two each on a different tail. Suddenly it flew over to my dresser, and it began pulling a red cap off of it. Once it got the hat off the shelf, they both plummeted to the ground. The hat fell on top of the strange pokemon, but it bounced back up pridefully, as though nothing had happened. The hat flew up and was placed on my head. “Uhh… sorry to disappoint you,” I shrugged, “but I wasn’t going to wear this hat.” It looked mildly annoyed, and the brim of the hat was suddenly forced down over my eyes. “Hey!” I felt my feet sliding across the ground unwillingly, and I pushed the hat back over my face and saw myself in the bathroom mirror. I… I looked like a whole new person. The Pokémon floated around behind me, staring at me expectantly. “I…” I started. “I actually really like it!”

“MESPRIII!” It flew around the room wildly before stopping in front of me, tapping my nose yet again. This time I suddenly felt really, really happy when it touched me. The Pokémon cheered again as it flew through the halls and out the window.

I turned back to face the mirror, examining myself closely. I really did like it! My hair was usually wild, but the hat pushed it down. I looked like a real Pokémon trainer! I yawned and walked back into my room. I was just about to lay back onto my bed when I realized something. “Wait a minute…” I ran back to the window and shouted, “YOU COULD OPEN THE DOOR BY YOURSELF?!”

Lights flickered on in some houses and I heard my mother stomping down the hall again. A hot wave of panic flushed through me as I realized what I had done and jumped back onto my bed. Just as I did, however, I thought I could hear the mystery Pokémon laughing. I wasn’t mad. Mom shoved the door open and saw me laughing on the bed. “It got me good, Mom, it got me good!”

Last edited:

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Welcome to the forums! It's always fun to see another story crop up. A boarding-school-style Pokémon fic focusing on a trainer school seems like a fun idea--honestly, I don't know why I've seen so few trainer school fics over the years, when it fits so well with the canon. And it sounds like there'll be plenty of supernatural shenanigans at this one, which is even better!

This is a lighthearted and comedic opening chapter, so I was surprised to see that you mentioned that the tone will become a lot darker later on. Not that it's super uncommon for stories to take on darker tones as they go along, but I'll be curious to see how the shift happens here. Somehow leaning into the missing brother, I'm guessing--though Jason's going to end up not taking that trainer journey after all in the end. His mom's still going to be alone, though... hope she'll be all right!

Your mesprit here reads a lot like the characterizations of Mew that I've seen, extremely playful and with little respect for or understanding of what the humans around it may want. The mesprit sequence in general is cute, and overall this opening chapter has a real fun, almost anime sort of feel. The classic "staying up too late anticipating a starter pokémon" setup definitely works to create the sense that this is going to be a standard journeyfic, which is shortly going to be averted. Like I said earlier, I'm curious how long this tone's going to hold.

I do kind of wish we had more of it, though! I know from the summary that Jason isn't actually going to be going on a journey, and there's going to be an invitation to trainer school in there somewhere, but so far we haven't seen any nods to it in the actual text. I'm guessing Mesprit will be involved somehow, although the "how" isn't clear yet. As this chapter's fairly short, if your next one starts to bring in some of the Midnight Hollow stuff, it might be worth thinking of combining them for a longer intro chapter--that way your readers can get a taste of your story's big centerpiece right up front, and hopefully it will make them want to read more!

Your prose is pretty solid, although there are a couple persistent technical errors that I discuss under the spoiler if you're interested. One way or another, thanks for sharing this story with us, and I hope your writing's been going well! This is a fun start, and a really fun concept for a fic--I'm excited to see where it goes.

One thing I noticed is you tend to use a lot of commas where you don't actually want them! Whenever you have a scenario where a character does two (or more) things in a sentence, "The boy smiled and said hello," for example, you don't use a comma! You can tell whether or not a comma fits next to a conjunction like "and" by checking whether the pieces on either side of it would be a full sentence if they were separated. For example, "The boy smiled, and said hello," is incorrect, and you can tell because "And said hello" isn't a sentence. These situations came up quite a lot in this chapter:

She left my room a few minutes later, and wished me goodnight.
"And wished me goodnight" isn't a sentence, so there should be no comma here.

She smiled at me, and left.
"And left" isn't a sentence, so no comma here.

I stared back to the window, and noticed something pressed up against it, and it was staring at me.
Here, the second comma is correct; "And it was staring at me" is a sentence. But the first one doesn't belong.

These are only a few examples--I noticed this issue coming up quite a bit in this chapter. It was a little distracting!

Also, you seem to mix up it's and its a bit. You should only use "it's" in places where you could substitute "it is." When you're talking about something possessing a quality, you use "its," e.g. "its eyes were red." So:

I jumped as I noticed it’s two large, yellow eyes staring at me, seeming to glow in the dark. It floated around in a circle, not blinking. I slowly got out of bed, my eyes locked with it’s own.
Both places you use "it's" in these sentences are wrong. "I jumped as I noticed it is two large, yellow eyes" doesn't make sense, for example--that should be "its two large, yellow eyes." Same deal with "my eyes locked with it's own": you want "its own."

Also, typo:

It starred at the doorknob, and back to me again.
You want "stared," not "starred."

As a random final note, when you have the line with "Mesprit?" all by itself, I initially thought that was Jason wondering aloud about what the pokémon was. I think adding a dialogue tag (e.g. "the Pokémon said") would make things a little clearer here.

AceTrainerWesley

Espeon Lover
Pronouns
He/Him
Welcome to the forums! It's always fun to see another story crop up. A boarding-school-style Pokémon fic focusing on a trainer school seems like a fun idea--honestly, I don't know why I've seen so few trainer school fics over the years, when it fits so well with the canon. And it sounds like there'll be plenty of supernatural shenanigans at this one, which is even better!

This is a lighthearted and comedic opening chapter, so I was surprised to see that you mentioned that the tone will become a lot darker later on. Not that it's super uncommon for stories to take on darker tones as they go along, but I'll be curious to see how the shift happens here. Somehow leaning into the missing brother, I'm guessing--though Jason's going to end up not taking that trainer journey after all in the end. His mom's still going to be alone, though... hope she'll be all right!

Your mesprit here reads a lot like the characterizations of Mew that I've seen, extremely playful and with little respect for or understanding of what the humans around it may want. The mesprit sequence in general is cute, and overall this opening chapter has a real fun, almost anime sort of feel. The classic "staying up too late anticipating a starter pokémon" setup definitely works to create the sense that this is going to be a standard journeyfic, which is shortly going to be averted. Like I said earlier, I'm curious how long this tone's going to hold.

I do kind of wish we had more of it, though! I know from the summary that Jason isn't actually going to be going on a journey, and there's going to be an invitation to trainer school in there somewhere, but so far we haven't seen any nods to it in the actual text. I'm guessing Mesprit will be involved somehow, although the "how" isn't clear yet. As this chapter's fairly short, if your next one starts to bring in some of the Midnight Hollow stuff, it might be worth thinking of combining them for a longer intro chapter--that way your readers can get a taste of your story's big centerpiece right up front, and hopefully it will make them want to read more!

Your prose is pretty solid, although there are a couple persistent technical errors that I discuss under the spoiler if you're interested. One way or another, thanks for sharing this story with us, and I hope your writing's been going well! This is a fun start, and a really fun concept for a fic--I'm excited to see where it goes.

One thing I noticed is you tend to use a lot of commas where you don't actually want them! Whenever you have a scenario where a character does two (or more) things in a sentence, "The boy smiled and said hello," for example, you don't use a comma! You can tell whether or not a comma fits next to a conjunction like "and" by checking whether the pieces on either side of it would be a full sentence if they were separated. For example, "The boy smiled, and said hello," is incorrect, and you can tell because "And said hello" isn't a sentence. These situations came up quite a lot in this chapter:

"And wished me goodnight" isn't a sentence, so there should be no comma here.

"And left" isn't a sentence, so no comma here.

Here, the second comma is correct; "And it was staring at me" is a sentence. But the first one doesn't belong.

These are only a few examples--I noticed this issue coming up quite a bit in this chapter. It was a little distracting!

Also, you seem to mix up it's and its a bit. You should only use "it's" in places where you could substitute "it is." When you're talking about something possessing a quality, you use "its," e.g. "its eyes were red." So:

Both places you use "it's" in these sentences are wrong. "I jumped as I noticed it is two large, yellow eyes" doesn't make sense, for example--that should be "its two large, yellow eyes." Same deal with "my eyes locked with it's own": you want "its own."

Also, typo:

You want "stared," not "starred."

As a random final note, when you have the line with "Mesprit?" all by itself, I initially thought that was Jason wondering aloud about what the pokémon was. I think adding a dialogue tag (e.g. "the Pokémon said") would make things a little clearer here.
Thanks for the feedback! The Prose, Grammar, and other errors will be fixed shortly! (English is my first language I swear XD)

I was actually planning on putting out Chapter 2 in a couple of hours from now, as well! I'm planning on adding 1 chapter here a week- with about 20-ish chapters already written, so there's plenty more to look forward to!

Edit: Fixed! Hopefully the commas are a bit more bearable

Last edited:

AceTrainerWesley

Espeon Lover
Pronouns
He/Him
Chapter 2
The Briefcase in the Lake

“Wake up, Jason!” Mom shook me rapidly. “You’re already late!”

I tried to gather my things as fast as I could, but just a few seconds before I was about to grab something, my mother beat me to it and put it on me or in my backpack with two other things. And every time she did, she hissed “This is what happens when you stay awake until three in the morning on a day that you have to get up early!”

I slumped outside as she hustled. As Mom practically dragged me through the lawn, our grumpy nextdoor neighbor, Ben, came stomping up to us. “I BARELY GOT ANY SLEEP AT ALL LAST NIGHT THANKS TO YOUR BRAT’S SHOUTIN’!”

Ben was a real jerk while I was growing up. Every time he saw me doing something that he didn’t like, he would always go over to my house and begin yelling at my mother as though HE knew how to raise me. I knew that he was arrested by Officer Jenny a few times, and empty bottles usually littered his lawn. Frankly, I don’t think that sounds like someone who should be lecturing my mother on how to raise me.

“Give him a break, Ben, it was the night before his tenth birthday last night!”

He continued yelling, “I DON’T CARE! IT WAS TWO THI-”

“HEEEY! JASOOON!!!” My friend, Barry, who lived a few houses down the street, shouted as he ran past Ben and slammed into me.
“OUCH,” I yelped as we collided, both of us landing hard on the ground.

“Whoops! Sorry about that!” He jumped straight back onto his feet. “I can’t believe that I had to wait until your birthday to get my starter!”

“You didn’t have to!” I protested, “you could have gotten yours on your birthday!”

“I know!” He laughed, “but I’m just a good friend like that, ya know?”

Ben suddenly loomed over Barry and shouted, “WHY DON’T YOU WATCH WHERE YOU’RE GOING YOU LITTLE BRAT!”
Mom started berating at Ben again and they started another arguing match. Barry seemed to ignore him, and continued, “anyways, I think you owe me a million bucks for making me wait so long!”

I laughed, “I’m not going to give you a million bucks because you decided to wait for my birthday!”

Oh yeah?! Well, you’re gonna have to give me a million more if I beat you to the professor’s place! See ya!” He bolted away like a Ninjask, while I quickly fumbled back onto my feet and chased after him. We ran all the way to the edge of Twinleaf Town.

“Wait, wait… we should wait for my mom,” I gasped. “She has a Pokémon so we can get through the tall grass!”

“Jason, Jason, Jason, I’m not planning on going straight to the professor’s lab.”

“That’s not what you were saying a minute ago…”

“Never mind that! Besides, I heard that Professor Rowan is this really grumpy, really old, and really mean dude!” I gulped, as Barry pressed onward, “Besides, did you see the news last night?! About the red Gyarados?!”

“That was in Johto,” I replied flatly.

“Well I know that! But I’m going to find a red Gyarados of my own and catch it!”

“How? You don’t have any Pokémon or Pokéballs,” I said, suspiciously.

Barry frowned. “You really know how to have fun, don’t you? Well, I’m gonna go to the lake and find me a Gyarados! You can either sit there and wait for your mom, or watch as I become a living legend! Whichever works for you, I suppose!” He dashed towards Lake Verity. I stood still for a moment as I glanced from Twinleaf Town to the lake. A gust of wind blew through the grass, carrying fallen leaves that were just starting to turn yellow in color with it across the field. I grumbled as I gave in and ran towards the lake.

“I knew you would come to your senses! Now then,” Barry said, cracking his knuckles. “Let’s find this red Gyarados!” We walked over to the lake and Barry immediately began looking around while screaming, “RED GYARADOOOS!”

I stood on a rock next to him and stared out into the lake. I used to love sitting on this very rock with my mother or Barry when I was younger. We would love to watch the water in the distance, or try to see the Goldeen and Magikarp swimming around in the shallow waters nearby. I stared around at the sunlight reflecting off the lake, and then my eyes settled on a patch of tall grass. There was a briefcase lying in the middle of it. I turned my head towards Barry, and called him over. “Barry! There’s a briefcase in that tall grass!”

“Huh?”

We both walked over to the edge of the tall grass. The case was resting in a tuft of cattail, and was partially in the water.

“What do we do?” I asked, turning to Barry, “If we go in there, we could get attacked by wild Pokémon.”

Barry thought for a moment, making an almost comical thinking expression as he rubbed his chin with two fingers. “I’VE GOT AN IDEA!”

We quickly went through about seven failed ideas. We were sitting at the edge of the grass then Barry suddenly stood up “Alright, I’ve had enough.”

“Uh…” I mumbled, as I sat up and glanced at Barry.

He walked towards the grass, “We go in and grab the briefcase! We’ll be in and out! Faster than any Pokémon can blink!”

“W-wait!” I grabbed his arm, “We don’t have any Pokémon! We can’t defend ourselves!”

“That’s why we gotta be quick! Now come on, Jason!” We stood at the very edge of the grass.

Barry took a deep breath. “Ready, Jason?”

“No! This is dangerous, Barry! My mom isn’t even here,” I shouted incredulously, shaking my head rapidly.

“It’s gonna be fine!” Barry grinned, trying to reassure me with little success, “Now let’s go!”

I didn’t let go of his arm, and as a result I was launched with him. The tug of my weight caught Barry off guard, and he tripped and fell face-first into the mud. However, he was strong enough that I was heaved into the air. I tried to land, but skidded across the mud hidden beneath the tall grass, causing me to slip and fall onto my butt. As this happened, I accidentally kicked the briefcase into the lake, and it began to float away.

Barry immediately yelled, “JASON, THE BRIEFCASE!”

I quickly got back onto my feet and reached out, barely grabbing the handle. “Phew… that was a close one.” I dragged the case back to us. “Now to get out of he-”

We heard something screech, “STAAAR!”

Suddenly, a pair of Starly swooped down from the nearby trees and began pecking at us. We both began yelping in pain, “Argh! Ow, ow!”

“Ow! Gah! HEY! OW! JASON, OPEN THE BRIEFCAAASE!!

“Why! It doesn--OW! It doesn’t belong to us! Ngh!”

“JUST DO IIIIIT!!!”

I swung the briefcase at the Starly, but they both avoided it with ease by flying backwards. I haphazardly unhooked the hinges in the moment I had. The case flung open and three pokeballs rolled down towards us. “Pokeballs?!”
“Pokeballs! Jason, please tell me there are Poke-AAAOOOOWWWW!!”

The Starly dive bombed us, slamming into Barry and I. Barry grabbed one of the Pokeballs. “Wait! Those aren’t ours!”

“Well what better plan do we have!?”

I hesitated and grabbed one of the remaining Pokeballs. We threw them into the air simultaneously. Bursts of light erupted from them. Suddenly, a Turtwig appeared in front of me, and a Chimchar in front of Barry. “WOAH! A CHIMCHAR!”

“A TURTWIG!? The Professor’s supposed to hand these Pokémon out, right?!”

“It doesn’t matter right now! Chimchar, attack!”

“Chim!” Chimchar jumped up and scratched the Starly that was attacking Barry. I saw my aggressor loop in the air and dive. I braced for impact, but just before it hit me, Turtwig jumped up and blocked the attack with its shell. “Tuuurt-TWIG!” Turtwig stared back at me and our eyes met. It’s hard to explain, but in that small moment, I felt something with Turtwig. “Turtwig, Tackle!”

“Chimchar, use Scratch!”

Chimchar jumped over the Starly and scratched its back. Turtwig slammed into the other Starly head-on.

“Staaar-LY!” Starly tackled Turtwig, and it skidded back a little in the mud. The other Starly flew around in a circle overhead, and swooped down at Chimchar. “Do it again, Chimchar!”

“Keep it up, Turtwig!”

Chimchar grabbed the Starly as it swooped down, but was knocked onto its back. Turtwig blocked Starly’s attack with its shell, before slamming into Starly yet again. Both Starly flew up into the air and flew around in a circle, before breaking apart and swooping down at us.

“Chimchar, grab it and use Scratch!”

“Turtwig, block it and use Tackle!”

Chimchar seized Starly’s wings this time, the force of the attack dragged it back a little in the mud. Meanwhile, Turtwig turned around and jumped, its shell facing Starly. Starly bashed into Turtwig, but Turtwig managed to flip midair and slam Starly down to the ground. Chimchar recovered its strength and slashed Starly across the face with one hand, as Turtwig recoiled and slammed down onto Starly from above. Both of them lay on the ground- fainted. Turtwig and Chimchar turned around and beamed at us respectively.

We bolted out of the grass quickly, not risking a second attack, and stared at the Pokémon. We both burst out laughing, and we each hugged the Pokémon we had sent out. “You were GREAT Chimchar! Absolutely GREAT!”

“Amazing! Good job Turtwig! I don’t think I could have done it without you!”

Footsteps marched into the opening, and we both stopped laughing abruptly. A girl who looked to be about our age with long dark-blue hair under a beanie and fierce blue eyes stomped into the clearing, “And just what do you think you’re doing with Professor Rowan’s Pokémon?! You no-good thieves!”

“H-hey wait!” I protested, as I jumped back to my feet, “We were only using the Pokémon to protect ourselves!” Turtwig jumped out of my arms and examined my shoes.

“Yeah!” Barry continued getting up as well, “We were trying to get the case out from the tall grass, but we were jumped by a couple of Starly!” Chimchar climbed up his back and onto his head.

She gasped, “You USED the Pokémon in there!?” she turned to the side and mumbled, “Oh my gosh… What’s the Professor going to say…” She suddenly walked off, as though in a daze.

“What was that about?” I asked Barry.

“I don’t know. I… I don’t even know what’s going on right now. We should get out of here.”

We walked out of the opening and back onto Route 201. Just outside of Twinleaf Town, the weird girl from before was talking to a tall old man standing next to my mother. Barry’s mom was also there. When they saw us, they both ran over to us and scooped each of us into their arms respectively. “Are you okay Jason?” My mother asked me in a panic, “I heard from Professor Rowan’s assistant that you were attacked by a Starly!”

“I’m okay Mom. All thanks to Turtwig.”

“Twig!” Turtwig cheered, proudly. In the background, Barry struggled to break free from his mother, insisting that she was choking him. “Ahem.” Professor Rowan’s voice seemed to break through all the commotion. Professor Rowan stepped forward, examining Barry and I closely. “It seems my Pokémon have taken quite a liking to you two.”

“Chimchar, Chim!”

“Twig, Turtwig!”

“Hmm… So that’s how it is.” He stepped back and turned to his assistant, “Dawn, I’m going back to my lab!” He turned around on the spot and headed down the trail. Dawn shot a confused look at the professor, gesturing at Turtwig and Chimchar, and then turned around as well, saying “W-Wait for me Professor!” She turned back to us and quickly said, “You two had better come visit the professor later tonight! His lab is in Sandgem Town, at the end of Route 201.”

She turned and darted to the professor’s side. She was skipping by his side as they both departed down towards Sandgem Town.

AceTrainerWesley

Espeon Lover
Pronouns
He/Him
Chapter 3
The Offer

We each went home with our mothers. While Turtwig, my mom and I were eating dinner, someone began knocking rapidly on the door. “Jason, could you please answer that?” I opened the door and Barry immediately began shouting in my face.

“I’M heading out to the Professor’s lab!”

“W-what?! I’m still eating dinner.”

“FIIINE! But every minute I have to wait for you is another million dollar fine! See you!”

I shoveled down the last of my spaghetti and dashed out the door. My mother waved goodbye. On route 201, I stood in front of a patch of tall grass, and collected my courage from the earlier incident. Immediately, a wild Bidoof jumped out. “Turtwig, use Tackle!”

Turtwig pummeled the Bidoof. The Bidoof charged and slammed Turtwig with a tackle attack of its own. “Tackle, again!” It only took a couple more tackles after that to defeat the Bidoof. I was attacked by a few other Bidoof and Starly on my way there, but Turtwig seems to have grown enough that enemy tackles didn’t do much to it anymore. I walked into Sandgem Town, where the Professor’s apprentice was waiting. “Oh, hey! You made it! The professor’s lab is just this way!” We walked down the road for a little bit before Dawn stopped in front of a rather large building. “This is it,” Dawn said excitedly, “Our Pokémon Research Lab! Let’s go ins-”

The door suddenly burst open and Barry slammed straight into me with a T H U D. I was knocked onto the ground, and Turtwig jumped away. “OOOW!! BARRY! This is the fourth time this week!”

“I KNOW, I KNOW! OWW! Anyways, now that you’re here, the Professor wants us both inside! I was just about to run back onto route 201 because you were taking so dang long! I was almost thinking that you had been jumped by a bunch of Starly.”

“Alright, alright, I get it. Let’s get inside.”

Dawn chuckled behind us and led us into the lab. Rowan closed a book and turned around to face us. “Finally, you’ve arrived. Jason, was it?” I nodded cautiously. Rowan kneeled and studied Turtwig. “I see… Turtwig appears to be rather happy with you, as Chimchar is with Barry… Alrighty then. You may consider that Turtwig yours.”

“R-Really!?” I looked down at Turtwig. It looked up at me happily and bounced a couple times, with an enthusiastic “Twig!”

“Barry already told me everything that happened at the lake,” Rowan continued, as Barry smiled at me triumphantly, “And I heard you each battled very well, despite it being your first time. And from what I can see, there is a growing bond between you two and your Pokémon, though it is still young. That is why I am entrusting you two with these Pokémon.”

“I’m so glad that you two are so kind to Pokémon,” Dawn chimed in, “If you weren’t, I’d have to… Oh, I just can’t say it…”

An ominous breeze blew over us all, and we all stared at Dawn in a moment of silence.

“Er-hem!” Rowan interjected, “Let’s move on to the main topic. Recently I received a letter from a good friend of mine from another region. His name is Professor Palm.” Barry and I nodded, not knowing where this was going. Rowan went on, “He is a teacher at a well-known Pokémon School. It is called, ‘Midnight Hollow.’ I would greatly appreciate it if you could attend that school, as a new semester is beginning in just a few days.”

“Wait a minute!” Barry interrupted, “You’re telling us to go to a SCHOOL? Like, a really far away school!?”

“Yes,” Professor Rowan continued, “After the Team Galactic incident two years ago, I realized that we need strong, educated trainers to secure the future for everyone. If you decide to go, you will only be required to spend two years there, but I think that you two should take this opportunity.”

Several words rang in my head. A really faraway school, required to spend two years at the school. I remembered my promise to my mother that I would return to visit her frequently. I wouldn’t be able to do that if I was far away and she would be all alone for two years. I remembered my promise to myself, that I would become a Pokémon Master, but would I have to wait two years, or would it get me even closer to my goal.

“Wow, lucky!” Dawn chimed in, “I wish that I would be able to go to that school!”

“Actually,” Rowan continued, “I talked it over with your parents, Dawn, and they said that you could go, even though you are not yet ten years old.”

Dawn paused and looked up at the professor, her eyes sparkling, “D...Did you really?!”
“I did. And as a matter of fact, I would appreciate it if you brought Piplup with you.” The Professor turned around and took the last Pokeball from his briefcase, “I know that Piplup was the one you’ve always wanted.”

“Oh, professor!” Dawn ran up and hugged professor Rowan. Barry sat down and for the first time in his life, he seemed to be thinking something through. I still stood there, thinking about all my promises, and my mom, my brother who never returned, and my future. “I discussed it with your parents as well,” Rowan started, addressing us again, “Each of your parents said it was okay, just outside of Twinleaf Town… I know this isn’t an easy decision, but I truly believe attending this school would benefit both of you with whatever you wish to achieve as Trainers.”

Words shifted in and out of my head, as my own thoughts tangled them in a web of anxiety. It felt as though my mind was tearing itself apart with the two different options. Everything that could go right, everything that could go wrong, and every little detail in between. My mother said it would be okay if I went? But wouldn’t she be so lonely at home alone? But I want to be a Pokémon Master. My mouth opened, almost seeming to be involuntary, “ah… uhm... “ Thoughts screeched in my head yet again, fighting between two different things. I stared at Rowan in the eyes, and the corners of my sight appeared to go black, only leaving Rowan, staring down at me. My heart slammed against my chest as though it wanted to break itself free.

My mouth opened yet again, as though it was possessed, and even though I had plenty of doubts, my mind seemed to go on autopilot so I could say what I really, truly thought I wanted...

“I’ll do it. I’ll go.”

AceTrainerWesley

Espeon Lover
Pronouns
He/Him
Chapter 4
Twisted Paths

Barry looked over at me, shocked. “All right then,” Barry started suddenly, “If Jason’s going, then I’m going too!”

“Hm!” Professor Rowan perked up, “I do not believe that you didn’t make a good choice.” Rowan stepped back and addressed all three of us, “You all will have three days to gather what you want and need. You may also use this time to catch a few more Pokémon to bring with you.” Rowan stepped up to us and held out multiple empty Pokeballs. Barry and Dawn each grabbed theirs, but I stood still, lost in my own mind. “Are you okay, Jason,” Rowan asked, with a note of concern. I quickly shook myself back together, “Y-Yeah! I’m fine!”

“Hmm…” Rowan stared disbelievingly at me, “I know that look, Jason. That’s the look of someone who isn’t entirely sure of what they agreed to. Come, my boy.” Professor Rowan walked into a different room at the back of his lab. I followed and watched as Rowan sat down in a seat. “I can see it in your eyes,” He said, sipping a cup of coffee, “You’re afraid, aren’t you.”

“Uh…”

“You know Jason,” Professor Rowan continued, “Your brother had the same look on him.”

“My… My brother?”

“Mhmm,” Rowan nodded, “I gave your brother his first Pokémon many years ago. I believe he too, must have realized what you might’ve realized. That you can’t keep every promise that you make.”

I stopped, I was lost in how accurate his words were. “I still believe that you should go to the Pokémon School. I can see that this decision was one of the hardest that you’ve had to make in your life. Being a Pokémon Trainer isn’t easy, Jason. You may wish that you could have the power to make everything you want for everybody come true, but nobody has the strength or time to do everything for everyone, and save time for themselves.” He took another sip from the mug. “I believe you have a lot of potential Jason.” Rowan said, turning in his chair to face me,
“Midnight Hollow will help you figure out what you want to do, I’m sure.”

Some time later, all three of us left the laboratory. Rowan’s words really helped me out. I was now feeling more confident in my decision. “It’s already late!” Dawn said, looking up at the sky, “I need to go home now! I’ll see you both in three days!” She ran off and we waved goodbye.

“Well then,” Barry began, “And here I was thinking that I was all finished with school.” He released a huge yawn, “Well, I should head home now! Coming with me, Jason?”

“Not yet.” I said, looking up at the stars. “I want to stay here a little longer. I want to see what it would be like as a trainer.”

“Suit yourself! Also, I expect my two million dollars next to my bed when I wake up in the morning!” He smiled brightly yet mischievously, then ran off abruptly. I looked up into the sky. The stars appeared brighter than they had ever been before. I walked further North, and laid down in an opening, where I could clearly see all the stars. Kricketot were chirping in the trees. I sat and watched the stars, slowly but surely scrolling across the sky above. Turtwig tuckered down next to me. Out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw a yellow gleam. I sat up quickly, and looked into the thicket of trees. Nothing was there. “Twig?”

I got up carefully and walked towards where I was sure the glimmer was. Nothing. Turtwig stammered over and stared up at me curiously. I felt as though I was being watched… closely. Kricketot were still chirping in the shadows, but I’ve seen Kricketot before, and I’ve never seen one shimmer in the way I just saw.

A rustling noise emitted from a nearby bush. I stepped over some twigs on the ground, getting closer to it, wearily. Suddenly, from within the rustling leaves, two glowing eyes peered out at me. I stepped closer once more, and whatever was in the bush darted out at me. “AH- eh?”

“Shrrr! Rrrr! Rrr-Rrrr!” a fuzzy, small blue Pokémon was gnawing at my leg, but it really didn’t hurt at all (my jeans seemed to be absorbing most of the bite’s strength). The Pokémon was attacking me, sure, but it was just so cute and fluffy! “Awww,” I gushed as I picked it up, “You’re just a liddle ferocious, aren’t you?”

It barked at me multiple times as I picked it up. I couldn’t help myself. “It’s okay,” I assured it as I began stroking its back, “It’s okay.”

It calmed down for a moment, seeming to become lost in the comfort of the back rubs, and it let its guard down for a moment, before realizing that its was supposed to be attacking me. It began barking again. Turtwig stared up at it a little enviously. After a few more barks, it turned and bit my arm (which was exposed because of my short-sleeved shirt). “Ow!” I dropped it unintentionally, and honestly I felt more emotionally hurt than physically hurt.

“Shink! Shink! Shink! Shink! Shiiink!”

“Alright, if you want to fight, let’s fight! Turtwig, use Tackle!”

Turtwig jumped into its combat stance and charged at the foe. It barked a couple more times then… then it jumped directly into Turtwig’s attack while trying to bite it. It rolled back a little, before jumping back onto its feet. “Use Tackle! Again!”

Turtwig charged at it yet again, and struck it with a good amount of power. It struggled back to its feet, growling at Turtwig. It pounced again and bit Turtwig’s shell, not dealing a lot of damage. “Uh… Turtwig… use tackle?”

Turtwig bashed it again, and it cried, “Shiiink!” as it stumbled back into my legs. It gathered itself back together, and realized it was against me. It jumped onto its feet again, and slowly crept away, shaking, it’s tail between its legs and with a noticeable limp. It suddenly charged at Turtwig again, but tripped on a branch, causing it to tumble and roll across the grass. It sat up and looked depressed. My heart sank just looking at it sitting there, all droopy-eared. I walked over and picked it up again. It made a startled and confused noise as I lifted it up. It glanced up at me, appearing to be unwilling to fight anymore. I gently began to stroke its head, and Turtwig stammered up next to me.

I set my backpack aside and dug through it, holding the Pokémon with one arm. I dug through my backpack a little bit. I felt what I needed and I grabbed onto it. I brought my hand back out and revealed one of the empty pokeballs that Professor Rowan gave me. “I’m going to be leaving soon,” I said, knowing perfectly well that it probably couldn’t understand me, but I needed to vent a little, “I never thought that I would. I always thought that I would stay in Sinnoh forever. I thought I would be able to stay here, and fight the gym leaders, and become a Pokémon master. But now… I can’t.”

I cleared my throat, and looked down at the wild Shinx. “But… Since I can’t stay here… I want to take you with me.”

The Pokémon glanced between me and the pokeball. Suddenly, it tapped the button, and a red light engulfed it, bringing it into the Pokeball. Air settled into my arm, and I had to get used to the odd feeling of sudden weightlessness. The pokeball shook once, twice, three times, and then it clicked- releasing a small display of glowing sparkles. Securing the Pokémon as my own.

I yawned, and remembered that I should’ve headed home a while ago. I sent Turtwig back into its Pokeball, and drowsily walked back home.

AceTrainerWesley

Espeon Lover
Pronouns
He/Him
Chapter 5
Flying Away

I told Mom about everything when I got home, and she too agreed that going to a Pokémon school was probably a good idea. She also identified my newest team member as a Shinx. I sent both my Pokémon out in my room, and fell into my bed. When I woke up, Shinx was curled up in my right arm and Turtwig was sleeping in my left. I sat up and saw my mother watching me.

“Uh, mom? That’s kind of weird, not gonna lie.”

“I know… I’m sorry, you just reminded me of your brother the night before he left on his adventure… He was-,” she sniffed, “He was snuggling with his two Pokémon as well. It's one of my favorite memories.”

“Really? What did he have?!”

“He owned a Chimchar and a Ralts at the time… here.” She grabbed a picture from the top of my book case. She showed it to me, and in the photo, sure enough, was my brother at my age sleeping in what was now my bed, his limbs spread out wildly across the mattress and his blanket dangling off his foot, with his Chimchar sleeping on his head and his Ralts, awake and looking curiously at the camera.

The next two days flew by. Next thing I knew, I was in Sandgem town once again, with Barry and Dawn to each of my sides, waving goodbye to our families. Professor Rowan led us into Jubilife City, and into the airport. “I gotta admit, I was a little worried before,” Barry began, “But now I’m really, super excited! What about you guys?!”

“I guess,” I shrugged shyly. Dawn was almost as enthusiastic as Barry was. “Ah, Professor Rowan!” Said a voice unknown to me, “So these are the children who will be attending our school!”

“Yes, Professor Palm. I believe these three will prove to be great students.”

Professor Palm was a lot younger than Professor Rowan, and his hair was quite a bit messier as well. He wore a large pair of glasses and a tan coat. “Kids, Professor Palm will take you to your plane. You are to keep your eyes on him at all times so you don’t get lost.”
We all nodded. “It’s nice to meet you, Professor Palm!” Dawn said politely, “I’m Dawn!”

“It’s good to meet you too, Dawn. Now then, which of you is Barry?”

“Meeee!” Barry bounced hyperly, “Me! Me! Me! Me! Meeee!!”

“Ahahah! Full of energy I see! Now then, you’re Jason, right?”

“Mhmm,” I mumbled, “That’s me…”

“I see we have quite a colorful assortment of students,” Professor Palm observed, “Right! Thank you so much for this, Rowan! They’ll be great!”

“I don’t doubt it.”

A bell rang, and an automated woman’s voice chimed, “Luxray Line: Plane 405 to leave in 15 minutes. Luxray Line: Plane 405 to leave in 15 minutes.”

“That’s our flight,” Professor Palm said quickly, “It’s been wonderful seeing you again Rowan, and I wish we had more time to catch up, but we really must go!”

“It’s not a big deal, now move along. It would be disastrous if you missed your flight.”

We walked with Professor Palm, who kept staring back at us every few seconds to make sure we were all there. I always thought that the airport was cool, on the rare occasion that a relative came to visit from another region. But now that I was actually further than just the main area with all the mini stores and fast food restaurants, I felt like some kind of business man, about to go on another flight to another region. There was also a tube-like thingy that connected to the airplane, and walking through it was awesome! Dawn and Barry seemed to be equally interested in… well, everything!

On the plane, I was surprised to see that there really weren’t a lot of people on it. Mostly other kids my age and what appeared to be their parents. “All these other kids,” Palm began, “Will be your classmates! You’re all going to the same place!”

“Where are we going exactly!?” Barry asked, quickly, “Kanto? Johto? Hoenn? UNOVA?!?!”

“No, no,” Professor Palm chuckled, “Midnight Hollow Pokémon School doesn’t really belong in a major region. It’s actually located in a city quite a ways south of the Unova region, but not IN Unova, mind you. It’s in Sailsea City.”

“Sailsea City?” I asked, “I’ve never heard of it...”

“I’m not at all surprised!” Palm laughed, “Sailsea City is a big resort that only some of the richest people in the world go to! But one day, one of those rich people decided to open up a school, in hopes of attracting attention to the place and driving in some visitors!”

“So, is there a gym leader?!” Barry barged in.

“Nope, no gym leader,” Palm laughed, “As a matter of fact, calling it a ‘City’ is kind of glorifying it. It’s more like an oversized plaza, with Midnight Hollow smack in the middle of it!”

Almost all of the kids on the plane got out of their seats to look out their windows as the plane took off. We watched as we flew higher into the air, and kept on watching as we flew over Sinnoh and over the Ocean. I always liked watching the waves on any body of water. And it didn’t make a difference that I was high in the sky. We spent the whole flight chatting and enthusing about the Pokémon school.

The sun never set, but I fell asleep eventually, despite my discomfort from sitting in the same seat for multiple hours. Professor Palm had to shake us awake to tell us that we were going to be landing soon. It felt like I had only slept for a couple of hours and that I had been shaken awake at 2:00 in the morning, but the sun shined brightly into the plane. Barry was already up and at it as though he had gotten a full nine hours.

I slumped over to the window and watched as we descended. Now, instead of water as far as you could see, there was a good mix of land and water.

When we landed, Professor Palm led us through the new airport, which was decorated with several aquariums filled with tropical fish Pokémon. When we went outside, there was a familiar sense of humidity, but the weather was a lot warmer than it normally was in Sinnoh. Professor Palm guided us to a street along the beach. Sailsea was very lively, with trainers and their Pokémon to be seen in every direction. We walked through a plaza with jets of water bursting out of the sidewalk, and children about my age playing in them with their Pokémon. We walked further in that direction, and I could see a giant building further along. We got closer and closer, and into a giant garden. We walked up a set of stairs and gazed at a large, mystic, majestic building.

Professor Palm announced, “Jason. Barry. Dawn. Welcome to Midnight Hollow Pokémon School!”

Top Bottom