• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[MAFIA WIN] Second Anniversary Fanfic Mafia - Game Thread

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
[[not Firefighter though]]

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
With three players gone, even if one of them was a member of the Mafia, the atmosphere of the game is distinctly subdued. A couple players find it too much to bear, the stress and suspicion. They can't stand what this game's done to them, or to the people around them. Chappie, in particular, wants no part of this anymore. She says as much before curling up, her back to the group, and ignoring them completely.

Accusations fly, if slowly. A halfhearted debate ensues. For the most part, people don't want to think about what just happened, what it might mean for all of them. They don't want to send someone to jail, not when they might fail and pick an innocent today. It feels like fate is closing in around all of them, promising no good end, save perhaps for the Mafia. Chappie, unresponsive and having made strange statements earlier, seems like the best choice of target.

In time, most people simply fall silent, waiting for the end of the day. Not entirely comfortable in their decision, perhaps, but seeing no real alternative. After all, if Chappie wants to go, shouldn't they honor her wishes?

Dave isn't done yet, though. Mulling things over with beer in hand, he comes to a revelation. "Hang on just one fucking second," he says, glaring at Mewtwo, who's hovering nearby, giving an impassive look to a hissing Tefiren.

But it's too late for further discussion. The light leaches rapidly from the blank sky, and the ground below Chappie grows soft, then actively treacherous. Like Lance before her, she doesn't react, will not acknowledge what's happening. She's done, for good or for ill. Unlike Lance, though, the treacherous ground seems to know something about her. In the last fading rays of light the players can just manage to catch a flush of color in the spot where Chappie disappeared: green.

Chappie (AbraPunk) has been eliminated. She was Innocent.

Night Three begins now and lasts until midnight May 18 UTC/8 PM May 17 EST.

Final Vote:

AbraPunk: 8 (windskull, Seren, Dragonfree, elyvorg, Equitial, Namohysip, HelloYellow17, Fusion)
Equitial: 2 (DawningWinds, Inkedust)

Not voting: Mellow, SparklingEspeon, AbraPunk

Last edited:
Day Four Start

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Dave tossed and turned, anger simmering restlessly in his mind. The Luxio who'd simply given up in the face of the slightest scrutiny, refused to even mount a defense; her fate was on her, had left them no goddamn choice. Suspicions shifting, targets he burningly wanted to ask some fucking questions. The entities whose presence he felt even now, probably cackling at the thought of having stuffed him here with Jesse fucking Stranger. It was bound to be a cold day in Hell when he wanted to just go back to being a fucking Mightyena, but that day had come.

He heard a noise, and he bolted upright on the bed. The featureless shelter the void had built had no light switches, no lamps. He stared into the darkness, heart thumping, but felt the presence more than he saw it. There was something there, in the room with him. A shiver went down his spine, hair rising on the back of his neck.

"You here to kill me?" he snarled at the abyss. "Good. Great. Worth it to be free of all you fucking people. Can't fucking wait to have no memory of any of you. Have fun dancing along to the rest of their bullshit."

He braced for the awful disintegrating coldness of last time, temporary, just a minute or two of that and then he'd be back, in Cibus, and they'd go save Sword in the Worldcore--

Only now that he thought about it, something horrible and creeping told him that had already happened. He remembered it, in some strange, detached way. Another him was with Brisa right now, somehow, having beers, talking about her therapy. Cibus had moved on without him, merrily racing along and leaving him behind. He wasn't going there. Was he going anywhere?

Home, flew into his head with a jolt, but why the fuck would he go home? The guy in Cibus was going home. He'd better.

He stared into the darkness, heartbeat deafening in his ears, facing oblivion, or maybe, if he was unlucky, more of this forever, and wanted to say something else defiant but didn't have the voice.

As the presence closed in, he hoped it'd be quick.

--​

Once again it's noise that awakens the players, a great tearing noise, as though someone had rent a circus tent in half, followed by a low, menacing hiss. But as they pile outside, it soon becomes apparent that what was torn wasn't any kind of fabric, but the world itself. Dave's humble, nondescript shelter is half-gone, what's left leaning precariously over a huge gash in the ground nearly two meters deep. Altair lets out an impressed whistle, staring wide-eyed into the chasm. Its ragged edges flake and crumble away even as the group watches, hissing and crackling faintly, the tear digging itself deeper almost faster than the inevitably-oozing ground can fill it back in. To no one's surprise, there isn't any sign of Dave.

But that isn't all. The group of players is dwindling fast, and by this point, any absence is noticeable. It doesn't take Cold Fusion long to spot that Miyako's missing, and not much longer to come upon a certain familiar staff, now cracked and lying lonesome without an owner. Telltale scuff marks litter the rucked ground, a series of ripples and tears even now fading to nothing. Whatever came for Miyako was clearly far less powerful than whatever went for Dave, but whatever it was, it must have been enough.

Miyako (Seren) has been eliminated. She was Innocent.

Dave (Dragonfree) has been eliminated. He was Innocent.

Day Four begins now and lasts until midnight May 20 UTC/8 PM May 19 EST.

(( Dragonfree wrote the Dave flavor for this post! ))

@windskull @DawningWinds @Equitial @SparklingEspeon @Fusion @Namohysip @Mellow @Inkedust @elyvorg @HelloYellow17

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
[[Hold up are you claiming right now? Are you a healer? Please forgive me if you already claimed and I happened to miss it lol]]

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
[[ugh it was supposed to quote the message but whatever lol. That was to @SparklingEspeon ]]

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
[[ Just imagine Alexander is screaming at the sky right now.

Now hang on, how many healers are we up to now? Three? And we had some Reluctant people, did we ever get confirmation on what Dave would've been? We have way too many healers...]]

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
Oh, for the love of Arceus.

Wes pinched his nose in frustration. More innocent deaths. They would all be dead if they couldn’t get their act together in time...

He snapped his head up to glare at Mewtwo. “I don’t give a damn what you have to say. I know you’re one of them, and you’ll have to bend over backwards to change my mind,” he snarled.

Vote: Mewtwo

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
[[ Just imagine Alexander is screaming at the sky right now.

Now hang on, how many healers are we up to now? Three? And we had some Reluctant people, did we ever get confirmation on what Dave would've been? We have way too many healers...]]
[[90% sure that Mewtwo is a mafia doctor and that Espy and I are Town healers...unless Espy is a mafia doctor as well?? Have we ever had TWO mafia doctors before??

I suppose I could also potentially be a mafia doctor but, come on people. I think I’ve shared enough to prove my innocence by now hdhandkhehwjfify]]

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
[[

I was ready to try to map out two healers as just a negative-utility town hazard, but Espy suddenly coming in with being a third healer is throwing that theory through a loop.

Don't have time for substantial posts yet, Blacklight and ticket day at work has me strapped. Hopefully in a few hours I'll have something substantial to add.

]]

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
"God... dammit..." Fusion hissed, picking up the staff and gripping it tightly. He dismissed Nimbus, causing it to poof out of existence in a flash of yellow dust and, what the professionals would call, space particles. "We're dropping like flies, aren't we? One innocent life after the next..." he chuckled morbidly, his tail swishing anxiously from side to side, and a heavy weight grew in his chest. Fusion fell to a knee, still clutching Miyako's staff. "...Is it better or worse that I can't do shit about it?"

Nothing at all, just a time patroller without any of his skills. All he could do is stay alive and hope things went right for the good remaining. A hero, forced to sit and wait for someone to save him. The one decision he made, thinking it was for the good of all, ended up being the wrong choice. Fusion had a hand in killing someone so... defenseless. Then he was played like a goddamn fool. Whatever kind of joke this was, it wasn't funny.

Man, Lusamine wasn't even here for the two of them to bitch at each other over clothes. How helpless did someone have to feel to want her around...

"I... don't want any more people to die. And, thanks to Dave's sacrifice, we know of at least one rotten bastard here." Fusion turned his head towards Mewtwo, his... not at all but kinda lookalike.

"I cast my vote on you, Mewtwo."

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
Tefiren's tree looked a little different that morning.

The ground around it was littered with a scattering of twigs, branches and leaves, their broken edges unusually flat, like they'd been cut off by something sharp. Similar smooth cut-marks could be seen on the edges of some of the tree's still-attached branches, while several long, straight gouges dug into in the bark of the tree's trunk.

In the early hours of the morning, Tefiren perched up in the boughs of his tree, not paying attention to any of these details, sulking as he waited for the light to return. Everything he'd said about the thunder cat yesterday had made sense. It made the most sense for her to have been a Mafia; anyone even halfway clever could have seen that. So the fact that she hadn't been - that wasn't his fault. It was the fault of this game, this world, for deciding to make no sense at all.

(Of course it made no sense at all. This world had taken away his tricks, all for the sake of this game. How backwards was that?)

Even the noise of the world tearing itself apart didn't make Tefiren more than flinch and check around for danger for a moment. That was just the sound of somebody else being caught. It didn't matter to him. He didn't need to go down and check who it was.

Or, he wasn't going to, until the light begin to return and he saw, lying cracked and broken on the rippled ground, that stick...

Tefiren leapt out of the tree and dashed over to that spot, determined to get a proper look at the marks this time before they faded - those ripples.

Last time there'd been this sort of pattern on the ground, the Human with the stick - Miyako - had said it had been one of those psychic marks. And Tefiren had ignored her, too wrapped up in his own theory, his theory that'd been proven wrong by the green light closing over the thunder cat yesterday evening.

He should have listened to her. If he'd listened to her, then maybe she--

--He stopped himself, frowning. Why did it matter? Miya-- the Human was gone. She hadn't been very good at the game anyway, so really it was just natural that she'd lose sooner or later. She'd had to rely on him to make all the smart choices and teach her how to be better at it. Relying on someone else was a stupid move in and of itself. Tefiren would never do that.

If he'd really wanted to teach her to be better, he should have told her not to do that too, to stay away from him.

just like he'd tried to do with Forsira

Tefiren found himself letting out a roar of frustration without really knowing why, lighting a blade and slamming it into the flat ground where the ripples had been only moments ago. (He made sure not to hit the stick.)

Still hissing with angry breaths, he turned towards the big white bird that'd been dozing in their nest the whole time and fired a soft air blade over at them to wake them up and make them notice.

"It was them," he snarled. "They're the Arsonist."

[[

So, the arsonist is absolutely still around and I am like 90% sure it's Namco, but also we shouldn't lynch them today because we're running low on time to find mafia and they can't kill anybody tomorrow night.

I told you guys Miyako was innocent. I told you.

And I am so sad about this! I had some fun RP written out for Tefiren doing his whole detective-with-sidekick thing with her again and I was so excited for them to bond more and now that's never going to happen! :<

also RIP Dave, thank you Dragonfree for the delightful Dave death flavour again, I feel very alone right now

And, uh, regarding yesterday's lynch. So, guys, in next year's game, when Chibi inevitably dies N1 again and a bus driver claims some involvement in their death: that bus driver is absolutely without a doubt 100% confirmed innocent, no matter what happens from then on. Okay? Okay. Glad we're clear on that.

I am joking, of course, but geez.

So I told myself after my extreme frustration at the mislynch yesterday that I'd try to take a break from the game overnight and wouldn't spend it producing morning wallposts for the next day...

I, uh... I have some more morning wallposts for you today. Though one of them involved that aforementioned Tefiren-Miyako scene that can't happen now and I guess I'll just have to rework it slightly without that, I am very sad.

(i'm fine, guys, it's fine, this level of hyperfixation on a mafia game is totally normal and healthy and not causing me any issues whatsoever)]]

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
[[

I have a really bad feeling that we're near or at lynch or lose or something close to it right now. Anybody with information or tracking roles, I think we need to throw caution to the wind and get everything out there so we can be absolutely sure that we take out a mafia today. We NEED to know what's up, and I'm not 100% on the Mewtwo train yet. We have two days and I want to deduce as much as we can.

]]

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
[[active play to come later but. Healers, who did you heal? Trying to work out how this double kill happened rn]]
[[Tefiren. I was SO CLOSE to choosing Dave but I was afraid of a Mafia doctor predicting that and causing a healer clash, so I thought it would be best to not choose him. I was wrong, apparently...]]

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
[[Okay, you know what? Morning wallposts can wait, there is a situation here I need to try and defuse.]]

Tefiren was snapped out of waiting for the white bird to wake up as he saw everyone else gawking over the much bigger mark in the ground - oh, right, the messy Human was gone, too - and immediately snapping that it was the think-talky one, because the purple fox was a healer too, and the messy Human had wanted the think-talky one gone last night.

After poking the tall blue tailed one to make him drop Miyako's stick--("That's not yours," he hissed")--Tefiren dashed over to the group, flapping his wings to create a gust of air to make him noticed.

"You think it's the think-talky one? You think they went and caught the messy Human because he was suspicious of them? Don't you think that's too obvious? This might be exactly what they're wanting us to think!"

[[Guys, please calm down and at least wait until we've heard from all of our healers - including Mewtwo - before you jump on this. I don't think it's Mewtwo. I think if it was, killing Dave would have been way too obvious a move. They had to know that exactly this would happen if they did that.]]

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
"And, also," Tefiren added, pointing emphatically at the huge rent in the ground that everyone who was standing next to, "this isn't normal. This isn't how the Mafia normally catch people. Normally people just vanish when they get caught. Isn't anyone going to talk about that?"

(It was Miyako who'd made him realise that the marks left on the ground were important. This one had to be important.)

[[Also, this flavour makes me think something very different from normal mafiakill or overdose. Possibly they were so determined to kill Dave that they used a strongman, just in case he'd be healed?]]

Top Bottom