• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[MAFIA WIN] Second Anniversary Fanfic Mafia - Game Thread

Inkedust

Harbinger of Sunrise
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. ninetales-inkedust
  2. solgaleo-inkedust
  3. xerneas
  4. zoroark-inkedust
"I'm claiming that-" Arctozolt began, before their tail slapped them in the face, cutting them off mid-sentence.

"I'm saying-" The tail rose up and slapped the head again.

"I'm-" Another tail-slap.

"Will you-" And another.

"I'M VOTING FOR YOU!" Arctozolt screeched at their tail.

Vote: Arctozolt

Tired of being continually baited with new information, Altair pounced on the mismatched creature's tail; pinning it down and digging in his talons slightly.

"Spit it out," he demanded, glaring right into the creature's eyes. "Now."

[[Don't mind him, he's just being a drama queen. But if you know something useful, Bench, it might not be the best idea to keep it to yourself.]]

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
The creature screeched in pain, their tail wriggling under the bird's talons.

"Hey, I can feel that too! Cut it out!" it squealed.

Don't you dare say it-

"It's almost certainly the mafia who targeted the human. Not the arsonist! There! Let us go now!"

Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. absol-mega
  3. silvally-psychic
  4. ninetales-phantump
  5. cosmog
  6. gallade-phantump
  7. ceruledge-phantump
Oh, splendid. Someone else pinned the tail down for her. That made life easier.
It's almost certainly the mafia who targeted the human. Not the arsonist! There! Let us go now!
Lusamine mused over that information. "Well, I'm already of the belief that the psychic marker probably wasn't the one responsible... Being certain of it, however, would be nice. Unfortunately, I'm afraid there's a big difference between certainty and almost-certainty, especially when you... don't necessarily agree with yourself on the matter."

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"It's because they had something that was dangerous for the mafia!"

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
[[i swear to god if chibi really did die on n1 when they otherwise wouldn't have thanks to swapping shenanigans again i am going to laugh so hard. the irony of them extolling the virtues of bus drivers while they keep getting accidentally murdered by a bus]]

[[ Miyako and I were having some serious self-confidence issues after yesterday's events. Apparently brain games are not our strength. Tefiren helped alleviate that to a small extent. At least in-character, Miyako's thankful for having it be pointed out; even though it seemed at least to us to be obvious, we'd hadn't made much of an impact on progressive thoughts otherwise, so having someone else at least acknowledge and agree with what little contribution we were able to make was nice. It's a small gesture, but it lifted my spirits, at least. ]]
[[Oh, heh, yeah, maybe I should have made it clearer that *I* understand the sentiment behind you thanking me perfectly fine. (You're welcome!) That bewilderment was a pure in-character Tefiren thing. He really Does Not Get interpersonal relationships for reasons wrapped up in his massive issues (that's also why he almost never remembers anybody else's names), so seeing Miyako try and momentarily connect with him on a personal level that wasn't really about the game itself just made him "??????" all over the place.]]
[[ This would probably be very amusing. I dunno if you're at all familiar with Persona, but I know we're not familiar with Tefiren's species, so I'd be going into it relatively blind, anyway. Would be funny to see Tefiren's reaction to a giant half-human, half-phoenix suddenly bursting into existence behind the tiny human-with-a-stick! ]]
[[I am actually a big Persona nerd, as it happens! It's possible that a small fraction of my good feeling about Miyako has been influenced by my brain going "Oh, hey, a Persona-user, cool!", which I am trying not to let consciously bias me, but. And man, yes, I have been hoping that at some point Miyako ends up summoning her Persona for some reason, because Tefiren's reaction to seeing her greatest "trick" would be very fun.]]

Dave scratched his chin, frowning. "Yeah. Something I've been thinking about Nefari's claim is that it was really fucking dumb to reveal it right out of the gate."
"See?!" Tefiren piped up as soon as these words were out of the Human's mouth. "The small fox really is a huge fool! I said so!"

[[Yeah, sure, Tefiren, just you try and make it sound like you always knew the roleclaim was a bad idea and totally didn't just figure it out today at around the same time Dave did.]]

Still, now Mewtwo considered Achropy's gambit in a new light. Though Mewtwo may question the usefulness of the actual results, they couldn't help but admire the thinking behind such a play. This creature demonstrated much out-of-the-box thinking.

Considering, Mewtwo let their thoughts wander as they drifted back to their den.

Perhaps they could appreciate a person such as this Pokemon.
Tefiren's mind was prodded with the sense of the think-talky one thinking in his direction specifically, about his whole plan from yesterday. It was true that the plan hadn't been all that successful in the end - not that he was going to admit that out loud, of course - but at least the think-talky one appreciated that it was a clever and cunning idea. Good! So many of the people here didn't even realise that, like they didn't understand the point of the plan at all. This think-talky one was smarter than most. Made sense, Tefiren supposed, since he was someone who thought so hard that he could talk with it.

[[Joke's on you, Tefiren, Mewtwo can definitely hear you thinking about how the plan didn't amount to much even though you're not saying it.]]

[[As with Mewtwo, I'm kind of surprised you considered--even kind of half-hoped--that all of the active players were innocent. For me, it feels like there has to be at least some actively working to pull the wool over our eyes, yes?]]
Eh, I don't think I'm the only one who was getting vaguely good vibes for one reason or another from more or less everyone who was active yesterday? Dave said so too, and Lexx's readpile was pretty close to that. Regardless, it seems like my playstyle leans more towards trying to find people I can trust, whereas yours is evidently more in the other direction. Accumulating townreads on nearly everyone and then finding the mafia from among the nulls worked well enough to win us last game; I guess time will tell if things end up working out that way in this game too. Still, it's good to have that reason to remind myself that I can't actually completely trust everyone I'm feeling good about, not until mechanical confirmation comes up.

"Alright, if you say so. I swapped Lexx and Spark, since I thought nobody would be targeting either of them... you can see how well that went. But now, my question is: Why Spark? Who would possibly be targeting her, and why?"

[[ I'm not 100% on that the swapping even played a big part in any of this, but regardless, it did happen, and Chibi did end up getting killed. ]]

"I've already said what I did. Maybe there's another swapper somewhere who messed with others, but for now, I believe that the Mafia were going for Spark originally-- again, I don't know why-- and instead killed Lexx. And as of right now, i can't really say anything about Rascal, because I just don't know anything of what happened there."

Tefiren tilted his head in puzzlement as the thunder cat finally spoke up about who she'd swapped. "You swapped the Human with... who? That weird tiny Raichu? Not the Tyrunt?"

[[(Before you claimed, I was actually thinking the thing was that you'd swapped Lexx with Rascal. That would explain the contradiction in the hider/babysitter theory of "the mafia would be way more likely to target Lexx than Rascal, but on the other hand Rascal would be way more likely to babysit Lexx than hide behind him", because it'd have meant both were true. It'd have been a hilariously unfortunate coincidence, but it'd have explained things so well. Alas.)]]

"You're right. It doesn't make any sense that the Mafia would go for the tiny Raichu. She was just dozing at the back all day yesterday, not even saying anything! And maybe there's some ways it'd still work if they went for the Tyrunt instead, but that doesn't make much sense either; she said some stuff yesterday, but not much."

Out of the three people involved - the fun Human, the Tyrunt, and the tiny Raichu - the fun Human was the obvious best target. There was no way it hadn't been him, right? There was no way this Mafia weren't at least smart enough to know that. Was there any way it could work out for him to have been the target anyway, despite the swap? Tefiren racked his brain for any combination of swapping and hiding or babysitting that'd make it work, but he couldn't think of one.

"There has to have been something else going on," he concluded. "Maybe you were blocked, or there's another swapper, or something. They can't have just gone after the tiny Raichu, surely. What'd be the point?"

[[I just cannot let go of the thought that Lexx has to have been the mafia's target, because targeting relatively quiet players this early on doesn't make any sense to me. I feel like there's got to be more to this. ...You know, as if this wasn't complicated enough already.]]

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
Killing Chibi N1 by accident targeting someone who hasn't looked to be much of a threat sounds... more like a joke than a likely possibility.
Happened before.

Frankly didn't read the flavor will later so if it implies otherwise sorry. But. Bare with me people- let's consider the possibity that Chibi babysat Rascal for whatever reason (maybe figuring the Mafia would shoot them, targeted someone they were scumreading I can't remember if Chibi mentioned a read on Rascal but that might be plausible? Or they figured the Mafia would go for elyvorg again since she claimed she used up her bulletproof maybe?) rather than the other way around. The Mafia target Chibi, and Rascal died with them. Or there's a Lovers role (probably not flavoured as actual Lovers but a role where one dies where the other does), which Rascal and Chibi rolled, thus resulting in Rascal dying when Chibi got shot.

Alternatively: we have a vig who shot Rascal, a PGO who didn't claim hoping Mafia might target them and Rascal hit them (if this is a thing please claim now you're not doing town any favours by not doing so more likely than not you will continue being target by town), a Paranoid Axe Owner who protected someone not named Chibi (this one's not on MafiaScum so it's much less likely but I'm like eighty percent sure it's on Mafia Universe so you should be able to look it up), a TFPTSLOOIA/Flying Pumpkin who shot Rascal (if this is the case I'll be kinda surprised because Pumpkins are in many ways just weirder and weaker vigilantes).

Also sorry this post doesn't contain any thoughts on specific players I know I haven't really done much of that this game I have every intention of putting together a readslist between today and tomorrow and then I shall vote.

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
"It's because they had something that was dangerous for the mafia!"
Kyros blinked. "Weren't you paying attention? The luxio said she swapped the places of Lexx and Spark. That would mean they targeted Spark, not Lexx."

But why would they target Spark? Was it a shot in the dark? Surely there had to be some reason...

[[Don't have time to do a more elaborate post rn, but is it possible we have a mafia-aligned role cop? If so, then it's possible they saw something they didn't like on Spark, which would explain the target. I'll try to organize and formulate my thoughts on this and other possibilities later.]]

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
[[I don't have the energy to do this all in character, so here's my theory. Pretend Arctozolt says something along the lines of this but with some Arctozolt flair and pained screeching.

This is what I know:
- Lexx had a power that was very bad for the mafia.

Basically, this is what I think happened:
- Someone aligned with the mafia found out about Lexx's role.
- It was so potentially catastrophic to the mafia, that they used their strongman to get rid of him, so that there was no chance of him surviving due to a swap or protection.]]

"NOW can you let us go?" Arctozolt growled at the bird.

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
Kyros blinked. "Weren't you paying attention? The luxio said she swapped the places of Lexx and Spark. That would mean they targeted Spark, not Lexx."
Unless they roleblocked Chappie. I see it as more likely their roleblock would be a shot in the dark than their nightkill, and especially since I don't remember anyone claiming any roles which could presently be of threat to Mafia.

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
I realize that post was directed at Bench but thank you for pointing it out I did miss that Chappie claimed switching them I will consider that a bit more.

- It was so potentially catastrophic to the mafia, that they used their strongman to get rid of him, so that there was no chance of him surviving due to a swap or protection.
I don't think Strongman can dodge bus driver though? Might depend on the host though.

Also Bench since Chibi's dead if you think you know what role they had it's probably best to say so.

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
Eh, I don't think I'm the only one who was getting vaguely good vibes for one reason or another from more or less everyone who was active yesterday? Dave said so too, and Lexx's readpile was pretty close to that. Regardless, it seems like my playstyle leans more towards trying to find people I can trust, whereas yours is evidently more in the other direction.

[[Good vibes are one thing, but Lexx noted that people in his good pile could still be Mafia. Still, playstyle differences--fair enough.]]

On the one hand, the Hider option seems more likely because Lexx is a far more likely target for the mafia to go after. On the other, Rascal's death flavour said she was protecting someone (quite likely Lexx), which would fit more with Babysitter. On the other other hand, maybe it's just in Rascal's character to deny that she was trying to hide and protect herself and she wanted to insist that no, she was the big fierce protector. Seems appropriate. On the other other other hand, Rascal hiding behind Lexx would be setting herself up to get potentially killed, because he was quite a juicy possible target. On the other other other other hand, maybe Flyg0n didn't take that into account and just had Rascal pick her hiding target for RP purposes.
"Alright, if you say so. I swapped Lexx and Spark, since I thought nobody would be targeting either of them... you can see how well that went. But now, my question is: Why Spark? Who would possibly be targeting her, and why?"

[[Oh no... this is not my favorite part of Mafia.

*curls up into a ball and screams*]]

But, zooming in on a part of this-- I swapped Lexx and Spark, since I thought nobody would be targeting either of them--then... why did you do anything? Assuming this is maybe a misspeaking.]]

Mewtwo bristled, honing in Arctozolt.

The creature screeched in pain, their tail wriggling under the bird's talons.

"Hey, I can feel that too! Cut it out!" it squealed.

Don't you dare say it-

"It's almost certainly the mafia who targeted the human. Not the arsonist! There! Let us go now!"

They claimed to have valid reasoning as to why the human would be targeted. In this realm, that would have to come from a role, or else be a guess literally any other player could throw into the air (and thus should be substantiated by evidence). There were roles that could allow this, but--as the Delphox so noted on the board--Arctozolt also claimed not to have used an ability on N0. What ability would give Arctozolt this knowledge, but not be helpful to use the first night?

Mewtwo would like an explanation, or a clarification if this was just heedless guessing.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
This is what I know:
- Lexx had a power that was very bad for the mafia.

"...Hold." Alexander hummed, looking between the hybrid Dragon and then the others. "You. Hybrid-freak. You mentioned that you didn't use your power on the zeroth night. How do you know this so certainly?"

The Hydreigon pulled from the records, reading a few aloud in a mocking tone.

"I did nothing last night except try to sleep. I might have even been able to, too, if it wasn't for this asshole," Arctozolt said, glaring at its tail.

I was perfectly still! YOU were the one whining because you were hungry!
"I still don't know what you're going off about with 'claims' and such, but I didn't use any abilities last night. Unless conjuring up a blanket THAT WAS WAY TOO SMALL FOR US counts as an ability," the chimera said.

He cleared his throat. "...Why did you not use this power of information the zeroth night? Or are you making this claim about Lexx by deduction alone? Be specific. There is a very big difference between giving information and deducing it. I don't want to operate on any assumptions. ...In fact... if this was done this night... and you targeted Lexx... Wouldn't you have targeted the person Lexx was swapped with instead?"

Inkedust

Harbinger of Sunrise
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. ninetales-inkedust
  2. solgaleo-inkedust
  3. xerneas
  4. zoroark-inkedust
Altair let go of the creature's tail, swiftly getting out of range of a tail slap and climbing back onto the bowsprit. He closed his eyes and began absorbing all the new information. The creature's claims he could consider more later, for now he'd focus on the apparent swapping that had occurred last night.

Out of the three people involved - the fun Human, the Tyrunt, and the tiny Raichu - the fun Human was the obvious best target. There was no way it hadn't been him, right? There was no way this Mafia weren't at least smart enough to know that. Was there any way it could work out for him to have been the target anyway, despite the swap? Tefiren racked his brain for any combination of swapping and hiding or babysitting that'd make it work, but he couldn't think of one.
But why would they target Spark? Was it a shot in the dark? Surely there had to be some reason...

"So if I'm hearing things right, the luxio swapped Lexx with the dedenne and Lexx ended up dying. Hmm. By that logic that would mean that the kill was targeted on dedenne but I'm not buying it. The dedenne is like the tyrunt; an easy target but not one the mafia would take. As I said before, this mafia seems more focused on turning things in their favour by getting rid of sharp players rather than going for the easy pickings and leaving the town's investigative ability intact. That's a good enough reason on its own to target Lexx. So here's what I'm thinking: the mafia did target Lexx and the reason the luxio couldn't protect him was because someone decided to interfere with what she was doing [[meaning that someone blocked her]]. This would also explain why the tyrunt also fell if she had been some kind of Hider/Babysitter."

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"How I did it is something I can't tell you, or THIS IDIOT will never let me hear the end of-" the chimera began, before being cut off by another tail slap.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Just answer," Alexander snarled. "We don't even know if what you did is speculation, deduction, or a true read. This will be very important for how reliable it can be! And the fact that you didn't use this very valuable ability on the zeroth night... Why?" His voice was rising. "Your information is useless if we can't attribute it reliably. I'm not going to use it for deducing Mafia logic if I can't trust it. You two... halves make up with each other and start cooperating."

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"I COULDN'T USE IT ON THE FIRST NIGHT BECAUSE NOBODY WAS DEAD THEN YOU FU-" the creature screeched, before getting cut off by another tail slap to the face.

Top Bottom