• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Light Drabbling (Drabble Bingo Collection)

JFought

Sloooowly writing...
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. jfought-sword
  2. jfought-blue
  3. deerling-summer
  4. charmeleon
  5. vulpix
This is where I'll be putting any drabbles I write, both for now and in the future. Content may vary greatly between drabbles.

As for now...

TR Anniversary Drabble Bingo 2023!

The theme for my first card was "The relationship between people and pokémon." Thanks to Torchic for the prompt list! I took a few liberties here and there, which I hope isn't too much of a problem ^^; I managed to finish four of them, making the bingo straight down the middle.

I sorted them here in order from "most wholesome" to "least wholesome." And as a fair warning, the last one is very not wholesome. And so without further ado...

Prompt: A Typical Morning
----------
----------

The litten lay down on his side on the floor of the apartment building. His eyes were locked with his trainer’s, who likewise was also lying down, his black hair a mess on the hard tiles. “You aren’t coming to work with me,” the trainer repeated, more firm this time.

The litten just kept staring. Their tail slowly raised upwards, then crashed down to the floor, and it kept moving this way in a rhythm. His face and ears betrayed no emotion, those yellow, deadpan eyes threatening to break through Remo’s own to pierce his soul. Remo shifted onto his side and tried to match his cat’s apathetic indignance.

“I mean it Ruddy. No coming to work,” Remo said for a third time. Ruddy’s tail slapped the tile again.

“I mean, this is my first day,” the trainer tried to explain. He shifted his arm to rest his head on his elbow. “I don’t even know if they let you bring pets.”

It didn’t even seem as if Ruddy had heard that. His tail hit the ground again.

Remo continued. “And I’m not risking it. This is a big deal to me.”

Ruddy gave no indication that he cared.

“I won’t be gone for very long. It’ll just be a little while, and then I’ll get you a treat or something afterwards. That sounds good, right?”

Ruddy’s face refused to change, but his tail still dramatically gave its answer.

Did this cat really have to be so difficult? Remo’s growing frustration hardened his gaze. “Look, you can sit here all day and sulk, and it still won’t change the fact that I gotta leave. And I’m not bringing you.”

The two stared each other off for a while. Remo blinked. Ruddy didn’t. “Has he even blinked once yet?!” It didn’t matter: Remo had one more argument up his sleeve. His secret weapon.

“If I-”

Remo’s next word fell out of his mind and his train of thought fell with it. Ruddy shifted his gaze towards the ground, as if staring at where the rogue word had landed. The trainer just stared, struggling to get his mind back in order and failing.

Finally, he sighed. “Fine. You can come with me.”

The litten’s demeanor changed instantly. The cat happily pushed himself to his feet, walked right up to his trainer’s head, and flopped his back into Remo’s face, purring loudly the whole way.

“Yeah, yeah.” Remo’s voice was muffled by fur. “I hope you're happy.”

Ruddy was very happy.
Prompt: Like Father, Like Son
----------
----------

Lumen looked up at the wall of his father’s office. Pinned to a corkboard were rows upon rows of calendars, each for a different year. Most were stuck on December, except for this year’s. “March,” Lumen read.

“Hm?” Lumen’s father swiveled in his office chair. “Oh, Lumen. I didn’t hear you enter.” The eyes behind his glasses followed his son’s gaze to the calendar wall, and he smiled warmly. “That’s today’s month alright.”

“Why?” asked Lumen. “Why do you need paper to tell you that?”

“Oh, I don’t.”

“Then why so many?”

Lumen’s father ran a hand through his auburn hair, chuckling slightly. “Well, I guess I’ve always just had a knack for pre-tech stuff.” He got up from his chair and walked to Lumen’s side, deciding to fiddle with the pages of the latest calendar. “And besides, they look nice on the wall, and if I’m not buying them no one else is.”

Lumen just tilted his head. “...That’s dumb.”

His father balked at that. “W-Woah there! When did I teach you to be so blunt?!” Lumen only smiled mischievously in response, which seemed to strengthen the man’s resolve somehow. “Oh, I’ll convert you yet,” he declared, then pointed out one near the top of the board. “This one here's my favorite one. It’s from quite a few years back, but check out these landscape shots!”

He pulled the calendar down and flipped through its pages, keeping it low so that Lumen could see. Each month was decorated with a different photo, each photo being of a different breathtaking vista. The one for March featured a vast, seemingly endless field of multi-colored flowers. “Woah…”

“Each calendar usually has some kind of theme to it. That year was ‘Beautiful Places.’ And this year’s…”

One by one, Lumen’s father showed him every calendar on the wall. He pointed out the themes and the meanings behind various photos. Lumen liked the one about swords the best. Though there was a thought at the back of his mind, and eventually he had to ask it. “Why do people keep making these? No one needs them anymore.”

His father pushed up his glasses and contemplated for a moment. “Well… I guess it's just for the novelty really. Sure, this stuff’s so old no one even remembers the names of the people who invented themed calendars in the first place. But sometimes trends really do just last that long. And besides, they’re a nice decoration, aren’t they?”

Lumen fiddled with his bangs. “I guess…”

The man laughed and patted his son on the head. “It’s a bit too early now, but maybe we can order next year’s online together. What do you say?”

Lumen's fake reluctance disappeared, and he nodded enthusiastically. “That sounds fun!”

There were still a couple of calendars left to go through. And so they looked through the rest of them together.

---

The gardevoir flipped over the page of the calendar. “March,” it read.

Carefully, Lumen placed it on the corkboard wall of his office, in a row alongside many others, all stuck on December. The sun from the window didn’t catch on them from here, but it was fine enough. This calendar had no theme, but he had to make do with what he could. Besides, he had more practical purposes for them nowadays.

Lumen winced. He knew he shouldn’t let Venus’ words get to him. After all, he once thought the same thing.

He raised his right hand towards the calendar and traced his only thumb down towards the bottom right corner. “It’s not dumb.”
Prompt: Legendaries and Mortals
----------
----------

Date of last archive: July 15th, 2072.

The Distributed Rayquaza Distraction System, or DRAYDIS, was a global satellite system created for the purpose of hampering the legendary pokémon Rayquaza’s ability to interfere with human operations in the stratosphere or beyond. Devised in the wake of the 2001 Mossdeep Disaster, this system used to send concentrated blasts of sound into the stratosphere in the moments before critical launch and reentry missions in order to divert Rayquaza's attention and decrease the likelihood of interference. Fifteen satellites were installed as a part of this system in key locations around the world, typically a specially measured distance away from launch sites in order to ensure the highest chance that Rayquaza would not be near the site in time for the launch.

The project was funded primarily by the Mossdeep Space Center, with contributions from the space programs of other regions around the world. The last satellite was installed on February 21st, 2007, off the coast of Galar. These satellites remained in operation for several years, until October 13, 2012, when during a routine test firing of the Dewford satellite, Rayquaza discovered its operation and violently destroyed it, killing 11 people and hospitalizing the remaining four. The satellite was never rebuilt, and the project as a whole was abandoned afterwards.

During its years of operation, DRAYDIS was met with opposition from multiple environmentalist and pokémon-rights groups, who raised concerns regarding noise pollution and the disruption of migratory bird patterns, as well as the ethics of disturbing Rayquaza’s natural behavior and habitat. In the wake of the satellite’s destruction, popular opinion of the program had fallen to the point where it was deemed too much trouble to continue its operation, leading to its abandonment.

DRAYDIS would later be succeeded by similar attempts at the idea, such as the SSPS, RDF, SOnAP, LDS, Operation GTFS (Get That Fucking Snake), Operation Apology, GRTS, and many others.
Prompt: "...A Pokémon proposed to the others to always be ready to help humans..." - Sinnoh Region's Mythology
----------
----------

The following is a Lati parable passed down as part of their shared network of knowledge. It is an important story in their mythology of the world.

“We should assist them.”

These were the words of Archsage Eligius, the Blue Aeon, upon meeting humanity for the first time.

“For as long as this cursed world has existed, it has been the purpose of the Lati to guide its damned creatures towards the truth of the Ark,” he had said. “It is to that end that we have created our tribes and roamed this world. Even if they may be impure, these ‘humans’ wish to do the very same, do they not? Regardless of the purity of our souls, we are all part of the same whole. It is our duty, then, to guide them as well.”

And so it was decreed. Eligius met with what the humans called their 'leader' as a representative of the Lati, and they made a pact to assist each other so as to ease the suffering of all. The Lati would provide their extensive knowledge of the world, its creatures, and the cosmos, while humans would make use of their sheer numbers to spread that knowledge and enact our teachings. Eligius personally taught their 'leader' the nature of divinity and the principles of goodness; how treating the lesser pokémon with kindness would be met with kindness in turn, and elevate both parties above the sinful laws that governed them. For the first few centuries, all seemed well. The daunting task of saving this world from destroying itself never seemed more attainable. Both cultures lived alongside one another in harmony, and neither of the Aeons had any reason to doubt their decision was the wrong one.

That is, until one day, when a rather unsettling set of rumors began to spread throughout the tribes.

“I saw a human wearing another pokémon’s fur.”

“I saw another, who ordered a pokémon by whip to build a castle for them.”

“And what of the human who forced two pokémon to pull some odd contraption for other humans to sit in?”

Archsage Eligius did not know what to make of these rumors. “What are they doing?” he asked himself. “Our agreement was for them to protect pokémon. For what purpose would they treat their charge in such an undignified manner?”

Naive Eligius had believed there was a good reason for these actions, for he did not yet know of humanity’s true nature. Eligius met once again with their 'leader.' Humans have short lifespans, and so the human he had met with was one much different from the one he had taught not long ago. A young, ambitious sort, who referred to himself as 'King.' This 'King' had no equivalent, no other half. This was the first warning sign, though Eligius ignored it, for he knew that humans were impure and simply believed this was normal for them. He met with King with the intention of confronting him on those rumors, and it was in that very same meeting that those rumors were confirmed true. King arrived to this meeting not on his feet, but atop the back of a haggard rapidash, muzzle bound and body constrained with a material composed of the hide of dead pokémon: what the humans called 'leather.' It’s flames were small and did not seem to bother the human at all.

“What is the meaning of this?” Eligius had asked. “What have you done to that rapidash? Why are its eyes so dull? Did it agree to this?”

“Agree?” asked King. He spoke with a haughty voice, and dropped from his slave. He wore a suit of metal that one would think protected him, yet seemed purely ornamental in nature. “What an odd question to ask. I suppose in a sense it has, for it was born and bred for this purpose.”

“That does not constitute agreement,” Eligius argued back. “Is it well cared for? Is its soul, tainted as it may be, treated with the respect that it deserves?”

King only laughed. “Rest assured that this pokémon eats better than any wild one could ever imagine in their lifetime. It is a life of comfort, only interrupted by the occasional excursion such as this one.”

Eligius found that answer to be acceptable, though he could not rid himself of the terrible feeling sinking into him. “I am here in representation of the Lati regarding a set of rumors that have been circulating throughout the tribes,” he announced. “It is said that humans have been seen treating pokémon in a way that robs them of respect and denies their divinity. As their ‘leader,’ it is said that you would know the most if such things were occuring.”

“Rumors? They certainly sound odd,” said King. “Could you elaborate?”

“I would, though many of these rumors concern similar situations as that rapidash’s. I’ve heard of pokémon being used to build castles and pull cargo, as well as killed for their furs and hide.”

At that moment King finally understood. “I see. I believe you are mistaken, Blue Aeon. We humans have been following the Lati’s teachings to their last word. We are simply elevating pokémon to their highest potential.”

Eligius did not understand. “Have you not already reached your highest potential? What further potential could a lesser pokémon possibly harbor?”

“It is as I spoke regarding this rapidash here. In the wild, it is a majestic, yet frail creature. It hides from the rain and approaches lakes with fear, and it must run from battle for a single defeat would ruin its life forever. It would seem as if its form is more of a detriment to it then a boon. Of course, as the Lati have taught, it is the nature of materiality that its life should consist of suffering,” explained King. “But look closer at its form. It has a long, broad back, can travel faster than any human and farther as well. It is obedient, and while its flames seem a hindrance, they prove to be quite harmless as long as it is treated with care. It is almost as if it were made to be ridden.”

“Its existence is a mistake,” Eligius reminded him. “Do not forget why we are here.”

“You would have us believe that, but something so useful cannot possibly be a mistake. No, us humans have come to a different conclusion. This was intentional. The reason this rapidash exists is for our benefit, and no one else's.”

“Such arrogance!” admonished Eligius. “To use that rapidash in such a way is to deny its divinity!”

“Is it truly? By treating pokémon with kindness, they will treat us with kindness as well, and perform our work for us. In turn, we shall both be lifted beyond our base nature into something more. That is what you taught my predecessor, is it not? Pokémon can do so many fantastical things, and we have accomplished much through their use. Cities, kingdoms and empires, all built off of their backs. We have spread far and wide, and have claimed ownership over this world. No longer are we the meek, inferior beings that you found us as. We have been elevated beyond that pitiable existence.”

“You cannot mean to say that you have missed the point of our teachings?! To seek such domination over the material world is to engage in sin! There is nothing at the end of this path, except for assured destruction!”

“Rapidash here does not seem to take issue with that, and neither do I. We are fed, we are comfortable, and we are happy. And if the world is fated to end, then we shall protect it so that we may continue to feel that way. That is the true reason us humans exist. Your immaterial god has nothing to do with it.”

“Your impurities say one thing, but your soul says another!” Eligius preached. “The Ark is everything! You cannot hope to avert the end, that is why our teachings matter! For should you continue to indulge in material pleasures, the Ark will die along with this world and there will be nothing left but void! It is not too late to turn back from this path! You can still save the Ark within you!”

But Eligius’ plea fell on deaf ears. “You have already saved us, there is nothing else to save us from,” he said. “And do not think to oppose our use of pokémon in this way, for we have also trained them in the art of battle, and will use their power against you should it come to that. This conversation is over.”

In the wake of this confrontation, Eligius was left baffled as to how the situation could have taken such a turn. He was confused by King’s words. “Pokémon exist for human benefit? How could that make sense? Pokémon were an accident, and humans are no different.”

That is when he was hit with an epiphany. As he discovered, the humans were correct. Pokémon were created for human benefit. And the humans themselves represent the other half of the duality we had not realized we existed in until that moment. Humans are, in fact, the scions of the material god. Without the Lati realizing, this false god must have created the humans before its death in order to maintain its creation. And in doing so, they could guarantee the destruction of the Ark that they so hated. That is the source of the impurity present in the souls of pokémon, for they were created to assist humanity in that endeavor. And Eligius had unwittingly assisted them towards that same goal.

In the wake of this incident, all of the tribes attempted to share the blame. But the Blue Aeon blamed himself the most, for it was him who proposed to assist the humans in the first place. He considered for a long time what must be done. Violence was out of the question, as that, too, is a material sin. But every time he looked out at the state of the world, he saw humanity’s conquest progress further and further. His guilt grew and twisted within him, until it turned to darkness and impurity, and even the words of his sister could not get through to him.

“The Ark is the only thing that matters. Even morality and tradition are secondary. And yet, this is my mistake, and so I shall commit this sin alone so that it may not be borne by the souls of any other. This is my punishment.”

And so, Eligius left the tribes behind to kill the humans that he had assisted. The powerful magic of the Blue Aeon showed the humans the harsh reality of their impurity, for they could never hope to replicate such feats. Yet, true to the words of King, the humans demonstrated their own mastery of the material world. They employed all of the world’s pokémon to stop Eligius, and fought alongside them as well using their weapons made from the earth’s metals and their fortifications made from its mountains. For the first time, the Lati had met a species capable of outlasting them, and so Eligius eventually fell at King’s own hand. For that is the fate of anyone who dares to challenge humanity.

That is the story of how the humans killed the Blue Aeon. The Red Aeon, too, would one day fall to the humans, but that is another story…

The first one I wrote is just a cute scenario I thought up. Originally I was going for "My Only Friend," but the actual result fit "A Typical Morning" far better. I feel I might not have utilized the scene to its Maximum Cuteness Potential, buuuuut its good enough.

Next, I wrote Eligius' Parable. This one's really more of a one-shot, at 2000 words. Its also a bit of a reversal of the prompt, but it follows the same idea. I feel it might've been a bit risky to write, for some reasons I can't talk about and other reasons I can: both characters in this story are kinda assholes, but the nature of the story means I have to portray one of them as an Ontologically Good tragic figure. But maybe I just need to trust people to not take the story so literally.

Oh, and originally King was just called Man. I was trying to replicate that trend in some myths to give very literal names to characters who are supposed to represent concepts, and I felt a proper name wouldn't have fit the story's tone, considering what he is supposed to represent. 'Man' was the best I could come up with for a while, until very recently when I figured 'King' fit better, while also not sounding as silly :P.

DRAYDIS is a very dry one, but its also me sharing something of a personal in-joke. Rayquaza's a pokémon who is quite literally above the machinations of mankind and other surface dwellers. A lot has changed regarding the relationship between humans and legendaries in this setting here, but it wouldn't really affect Rayquaza unless they got caught, which humans can't do because of the important role they play in protecting the planet (like many things, humanity found this out the hard way). So I like to joke that for as much as things change over the years, Rayquaza always stays the same, much to the dismay of humanity. "hey rayquaza, can we send people to space?" "Sure, but I will kill them on reentry." "oh."

So after all that, I specifically tried not to write anything for Lumen, but then my spirit left my body and did it for me. He spent seven-and-a-half years unpublished. it was a good run :sadbees:

That's all! See you here next year!

Last edited:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Merely a collector
Pronouns
Them
Partners
  1. shaymin
  2. dusknoir
That last one reminds me of a text I once read that kept going on about how horses were proof that God exists because their backs are perfect for humans to sit on. It brought that up SO MANY TIMES.

Though also in that story, why didn't Eligias speak directly to the Rapidash? I feel like having a direct through line would be a boon, and also give more material evidence.

JFought

Sloooowly writing...
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. jfought-sword
  2. jfought-blue
  3. deerling-summer
  4. charmeleon
  5. vulpix
That last one reminds me of a text I once read that kept going on about how horses were proof that God exists because their backs are perfect for humans to sit on. It brought that up SO MANY TIMES.

Though also in that story, why didn't Eligias speak directly to the Rapidash? I feel like having a direct through line would be a boon, and also give more material evidence.
That does sound like it dragged a bit! I was intentionally evoking that kind of logic for King here.

Also...
He didn't ask because the Rapidash is a prop, both in the context of the story-within-a-story, and to Eligius himself. Like, he doesn't believe that Rapidash or most other Pokémon are capable of higher thought: this is part of the "impurity" that he talks about. And because of that, he doesn't actually trust the Rapidash to know whether or not they're being unfairly manipulated. His concern for the Rapidash here is also entirely based on principle: he doesn't actually relate to them, and so talking to them in a genuine way is something both he and the storyteller see as beneath them. The only reason the humans are different is because they show that capacity for intelligence while also being highly organized in a way similar to the Lati.

Though in hindsight, I probably still could have expanded on this a bit more, as Lati are supposed to be hybrid empath/telepath-based psychics in this setting, so he would've at least known how the Rapidash was feeling without having to ask anything, and that would be important evidence as you say.

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Heya, I was a bit tight on time and energy tonight, but I figured that I’d still try to peck away at a few targets from my author hitlist, which brought me here to this drabble collection of yours. Though “the relationship between people and Pokémon”, huh? Lots of different ways you can take that one, so let’s go ahead and see where you went here.:

No, you can’t go to work with me / A Typical Morning

The litten lay down on his side on the floor of the apartment building. His eyes were locked with his trainer’s, who likewise was also lying down, his black hair a mess on the hard tiles.

You aren’t coming to work with me,” the trainer repeated, more firm this time.

Litten: “Oh yeah, like that’s gonna stop me.”
828155228875784233.webp

The litten just kept staring. Their tail slowly raised upwards, then crashed down to the floor, and it kept moving this way in a rhythm. His face and ears betrayed no emotion, those yellow, deadpan eyes threatening to break through Remo’s own to pierce his soul. Remo shifted onto his side and tried to match his cat’s apathetic indignance.

“I mean it, Ruddy. No coming to work,” Remo said for a third time. Ruddy’s tail slapped the tile again.

Yeah, Remo’s gonna give in by the end. I can already tell. :P

“I mean, this is my first day,” the trainer tried to explain. He shifted his arm to rest his head on his elbow. “I don’t even know if they let you bring pets.”

It didn’t even seem as if Ruddy had heard that. His tail hit the ground again.

Remo continued. “And I’m not risking it. This is a big deal to me.”

Ruddy gave no indication that he cared.

Ruddy: “*Remo, you literally have a Pokéball for me. Just keep me in there until your break or something.*”
759842884115103804.webp

“I won’t be gone for very long. It’ll just be a little while, and then I’ll get you a treat or something afterwards. That sounds good, right?”

Ruddy’s face refused to change, but his tail still dramatically gave its answer.

Remo: “... I’m just going to take that as a ‘no’.”
659983090747441181.webp

Did this cat really have to be so difficult? Remo’s growing frustration hardened his gaze.

Look, you can sit here all day and sulk, and it still won’t change the fact that I gotta leave. And I’m not bringing you.”

Ruddy:
592055067104772107.webp

Remo: “Ruddy, seriously! I need to go to work!” >.<

The two stared each other down for a while. Remo blinked. Ruddy didn’t. “Has he even blinked once yet?!” It didn’t matter: Remo had one more argument up his sleeve. His secret weapon.

“If I-”

Remo’s next word fell out of his mind and his train of thought fell with it. Ruddy shifted his gaze towards the ground, as if staring at where the rogue word had landed. The trainer just stared, struggling to get his mind back in order and failing.

Wait, what was Remo’s secret weapon he had to work with? Since it wasn’t really obvious to me from his dialogue there.

Finally, he sighed. “Fine. You can come with me.”

Yeah, I knew it.

The litten’s demeanor changed instantly. The cat happily pushed himself to his feet, walked right up to his trainer’s head, and flopped his back into Remo’s face, purring loudly the whole way.

“Yeah, yeah.” Remo’s voice was muffled by fur. “I hope you're happy.”

Ruddy: “*See, I knew you’d come around!*” >:P

Ruddy was very happy.

Yeah, I figured. o<o

It’s not dumb / Like Father, Like Son

Lumen looked up at the wall of his father’s office. Pinned to a corkboard were rows upon rows of calendars, each for a different year. Most were stuck on December, except for this year’s. “March,” Lumen read.

“Hm?” Lumen’s father swiveled in his office chair. “Oh, Lumen. I didn’t hear you enter.” The eyes behind his glasses followed his son’s gaze to the calendar wall, and he smiled warmly. “That’s today’s month alright.”

Wait, why does Lumen’s father even hold on to those old calendars anyways?

“Why?” asked Lumen. “Why do you need paper to tell you that?”

“Oh, I don’t.”

“Then why so many?”

Lumen’s father ran a hand through his auburn hair, chuckling slightly. “Well, I guess I’ve always just had a knack for pre-tech stuff.” He got up from his chair and walked to Lumen’s side, deciding to fiddle with the pages of the latest calendar. “And besides, they look nice on the wall, and if I’m not buying them no one else is.”

Oh, well. I guess we have our answer there. I kinda wish that there were more calendars made that such that you could swap in the date portions every year, but I suppose that would defeat the business model for making calendars.

Lumen just tilted his head. “...That’s dumb.”

hes-right-you-know-morgan-freeman.png

His father balked at that. “W-Woah there! When did I teach you to be so blunt?!” Lumen only smiled mischievously in response, which seemed to strengthen the man’s resolve somehow.

Oh, I’ll convert you yet,” he declared, then pointed out one near the top of the board. “This one here's my favorite one. It’s from quite a few years back, but check out these landscape shots!”

Oh, so this is where the Pokémon angle of this one-shot is going to be coming in, huh?

He pulled the calendar down and flipped through its pages, keeping it low so that Lumen could see. Each month was decorated with a different photo, each photo being of a different breathtaking vista. The one for March featured a vast, seemingly endless field of multi-colored flowers. “Woah…”

“Each calendar usually has some kind of theme to it. That year was ‘Beautiful Places.’ And this year’s…”

Floaroma Town? Since this feels an awful lot like Floaroma Town.

One by one, Lumen’s father showed him every calendar on the wall. He pointed out the themes and the meanings behind various photos. Lumen liked the one about swords the best. Though there was a thought at the back of his mind, and eventually he had to ask it.

Why do people keep making these? No one needs them anymore.”

For people who want to fill up empty spaces on their walls and are too cheap to get proper decorative picture.

His father pushed up his glasses and contemplated for a moment. “Well… I guess it's just for the novelty really. Sure, this stuff’s so old no one even remembers the names of the people who invented themed calendars in the first place. But sometimes trends really do just last that long. And besides, they’re a nice decoration, aren’t they?”

Lumen fiddled with his bangs. “I guess…”

Methinks that Lumen isn’t particularly impressed with the calendar collection there.

The man laughed and patted his son on the head. “It’s a bit too early now, but maybe we can order next year’s online together. What do you say?”

Lumen's fake reluctance disappeared, and he nodded enthusiastically. “That sounds fun!”

Wait, Lumen’s reluctance was fake? This whole time, I’d been getting the vibe that he was genuinely disinterested in these calendars. It might have made sense to show off his thought process a bit more for when he starts coming around to the idea.

There were still a couple of calendars left to go through. And so they looked through the rest of them together.

Huh, I’m honestly surprised that this whole time, there hasn’t been a single Pokémon in-

The gardevoir flipped over the page of the calendar. “March,” it read.

Oh, there we go.

Carefully, Lumen placed it on the corkboard wall of his office, in a row alongside many others, all stuck on December. The sun from the window didn’t catch on them from here, but it was fine enough. This calendar had no theme, but he had to make do with what he could. Besides, he had more practical purposes for them nowadays.

Oh, so that’s why you gave this drabble the title it has. Though I’m a bit curious as to what this “practical purpose” is.

Lumen winced. He knew he shouldn’t let Venus’ words get to him. After all, he once thought the same thing.

He raised his right hand towards the calendar and traced his only thumb down towards the bottom right corner. “It’s not dumb.”

Wait, who is Venus here again? His Gardevoir? Or an offscreen human?

Distributed Rayquaza Distraction System (DRAYDIS) / Legendaries and Mortals

Date of last archive: July 15th, 2072.

The Distributed Rayquaza Distraction System, or DRAYDIS, was a global satellite system created for the purpose of hampering the legendary pokémon Rayquaza’s ability to interfere with human operations in the stratosphere or beyond. Devised in the wake of the 2001 Mossdeep Disaster, this system used to send concentrated blasts of sound into the stratosphere in the moments before critical launch and reentry missions in order to divert Rayquaza's attention and decrease the likelihood of interference.

Fifteen satellites were installed as a part of this system in key locations around the world, typically a specially measured distance away from launch sites in order to ensure the highest chance that Rayquaza would not be near the site in time for the launch.

Huh. So these satellites have been around for over 70 years at this point, huh? Though messing with Rayquaza’s presence sounds like a really bad idea given how he’s the planet’s living meteor shield.

The project was funded primarily by the Mossdeep Space Center, with contributions from the space programs of other regions around the world. The last satellite was installed on February 21st, 2007, off the coast of Galar. These satellites remained in operation for several years, until October 13, 2012, when during a routine test firing of the Dewford satellite, Rayquaza discovered its operation and violently destroyed it, killing 11 people and hospitalizing the remaining four. The satellite was never rebuilt, and the project as a whole was abandoned afterwards.

1105356025936228434.webp

Well, that went places quickly. Like I know you said that these drabbles got progressively less wholesome as they went along, but that still caught me off-guard.

During its years of operation, DRAYDIS was met with opposition from multiple environmentalist and pokémon-rights groups, who raised concerns regarding noise pollution and the disruption of migratory bird patterns, as well as the ethics of disturbing Rayquaza’s natural behavior and habitat. In the wake of the satellite’s destruction, popular opinion of the program had fallen to the point where it was deemed too much trouble to continue its operation, leading to its abandonment.

So… did they get into the habit of shooting off decoy rockets with each launch? Or just accepted the possibility of getting peaced by Rayquaza while exiting or entering the atmosphere as a fact of life?

DRAYDIS would later be succeeded by similar attempts at the idea, such as the SSPS, RDF, SOnAP, LDS, Operation GTFS (Get That Fucking Snake), Operation Apology, GRTS, and many others.

>Operation GTFS (Get That Fucking Snake)

822923369149890622.webp

Wasn’t expecting the sudden swerve into humor there, but I suppose that people get crabby after their rockets get blown up for the umpteenth time.

Eligius' Parable / "...A Pokémon proposed to the others to always be ready to help humans..." - Sinnoh Region's Mythology

The following is a Lati parable passed down as part of their shared network of knowledge. It is an important story in their mythology of the world.

Oh, so it’s the Latiis who are the ones who did the honors of “let’s help the humans”, huh?

“We should assist them.”

These were the words of Archsage Eligius, the Blue Aeon, upon meeting humanity for the first time.

Aha, so Eligius was a Latios. Duly noted.

“For as long as this cursed world has existed, it has been the purpose of the Lati to guide its damned creatures towards the truth of the Ark,” he had said. “It is to that end that we have created our tribes and roamed this world. Even if they may be impure, these ‘humans’ wish to do the very same, do they not? Regardless of the purity of our souls, we are all part of the same whole. It is our duty, then, to guide them as well.”

>this cursed world
>truth of the Ark

1105356025936228434.webp

I can’t tell whether or not this is meant to be canon-divergent or not, but yeah, I can tell this is going to get really real, really fast.

And so it was decreed. Eligius met with what the humans called their 'leader' as a representative of the Lati, and they made a pact to assist each other so as to ease the suffering of all. The Lati would provide their extensive knowledge of the world, its creatures, and the cosmos, while humans would make use of their sheer numbers to spread that knowledge and enact our teachings. Eligius personally taught their 'leader' the nature of divinity and the principles of goodness; how treating the lesser pokémon with kindness would be met with kindness in turn, and elevate both parties above the sinful laws that governed them.

For the first few centuries, all seemed well. The daunting task of saving this world from destroying itself never seemed more attainable. Both cultures lived alongside one another in harmony, and neither of the Aeons had any reason to doubt their decision was the wrong one.

I… just realized that this section is implying that Latiis used to be a lot more common in this world. Emphasis on used to be. Though this paragraph is chunky enough that you should consider splitting it up into at least two parts.

That is, until one day, when a rather unsettling set of rumors began to spread throughout the tribes.

“I saw a human wearing another pokémon’s fur.”

“I saw another, who ordered a pokémon by whip to build a castle for them.”

“And what of the human who forced two pokémon to pull some odd contraption for other humans to sit in?”

I mean, as
994427253242990704.webp
as this is, surely Eligius would’ve had an idea that there would always be cruel and sociopathic types in any given population of sapient beings. Unless this is a folktale among Latiis meant to rationalize how they’re now living as small, highly-mobile herds/flocks/whatchamacalits.

Archsage Eligius did not know what to make of these rumors. “What are they doing?” he asked himself. “Our agreement was for them to protect pokémon. For what purpose would they treat their charges in such an undignified manner?”

Naive Eligius had believed there was a good reason for these actions, for he did not yet know of humanity’s true nature. Eligius met once again with their 'leader.' Humans have short lifespans, and so the human he had met with was one much different from the one he had taught not long ago. A young, ambitious sort, who referred to himself as 'King.'

This 'King' had no equivalent, no other half. This was the first warning sign, though Eligius ignored it, for he knew that humans were impure and simply believed this was normal for them. He met with King with the intention of confronting him on those rumors, and it was in that very same meeting that those rumors were confirmed true.

King arrived at this meeting not on his feet, but atop the back of a haggard rapidash, muzzle bound and body constrained with a material composed of the hide of dead pokémon: what the humans called 'leather.' Its flames were small and did not seem to bother the human at all.

This second paragraph seems like it should be cut into a few smaller pieces, since there was a lot going on in it. Also, I can already see how members of Eligius’ entourage were busy [squirpuke]-ing at the realization that King’s steed was wearing parts of other Pokémon.

“What is the meaning of this?” Eligius had asked. “What have you done to that rapidash? Why are its eyes so dull? Did it agree to this?”

“Agree?” asked King. He spoke with a haughty voice, and dropped from his slave. He wore a suit of metal that one would think protected him, yet seemed purely ornamental in nature. “What an odd question to ask. I suppose in a sense it has, for it was born and bred for this purpose.”

This sounds like a really, really fast way to get Luster Purged into oblivion. Just saying.

“That does not constitute agreement,” Eligius argued back. “Is it well cared for? Is its soul, tainted as it may be, treated with the respect that it deserves?”

King only laughed. “Rest assured that this pokémon eats better than any wild one could ever imagine in their lifetime. It is a life of comfort, only interrupted by the occasional excursion such as this one.”

Eligius found that answer to be acceptable, though he could not rid himself of the terrible feeling sinking into him.

I am here in representation of the Lati regarding a set of rumors that have been circulating throughout the tribes,” he announced. “It is said that humans have been seen treating pokémon in a way that robs them of respect and denies their divinity. As their ‘leader,’ it is said that you would know the most if such things were occuring.”

Background!Latios: “Eligius, for the Creator’s sake! Just look at that Rapidash’s eyes! This isn’t normal!”
884646573487820852.webp

“Rumors? They certainly sound odd,” said King. “Could you elaborate?”

“I would, though many of these rumors concern similar situations as that rapidash’s. I’ve heard of pokémon being used to build castles and pull cargo, as well as killed for their furs and hide.”

At that moment King finally understood. “I see. I believe you are mistaken, Blue Aeon. We humans have been following the Lati’s teachings to their last word. We are simply elevating pokémon to their highest potential.”

press-x-to-doubt-la-noire.jpg

Eligius did not understand. “Have you not already reached your highest potential? What further potential could a lesser pokémon possibly harbor?”

“It is as I spoke regarding this rapidash here. In the wild, it is a majestic, yet frail creature. It hides from the rain and approaches lakes with fear, and it must run from battle for a single defeat would ruin its life forever. It would seem as if its form is more of a detriment to it then a boon. Of course, as the Lati have taught, it is the nature of materiality that its life should consist of suffering,” explained King. “But look closer at its form. It has a long, broad back, can travel faster than any human and farther as well. It is obedient, and while its flames seem a hindrance, they prove to be quite harmless as long as it is treated with care. It is almost as if it were made to be ridden.”

I kinda wonder if King’s dialogue is long enough that it should be two separate paragraphs, but I’m tripping up a bit on good places to recommend dividing things up.

“Its existence is a mistake,” Eligius reminded him. “Do not forget why we are here.”

“You would have us believe that, but something so useful cannot possibly be a mistake. No, us humans have come to a different conclusion. This was intentional. The reason this rapidash exists is for our benefit, and no one else's.”

699082306027126844.webp

I mean, I suppose it’s a good thing that the Latis apparently think of most Pokémon as being lesser beings to them, since you’d think that this would be as strong a cue as any to break out the Luster Purge.

“Such arrogance!” admonished Eligius. “To use that rapidash in such a way is to deny its divinity!”

“Is it truly? By treating pokémon with kindness, they will treat us with kindness as well, and perform our work for us. In turn, we shall both be lifted beyond our base nature into something more. That is what you taught my predecessor, is it not?” King insisted. “Pokémon can do so many fantastical things, and we have accomplished much through their use. Cities, kingdoms and empires, all built off of their backs. We have spread far and wide, and have claimed ownership over this world. No longer are we the meek, inferior beings that you found us as. We have been elevated beyond that pitiable existence.”

Boy is that a dark spin off of the “humans and Pokémon working together mythos”. I take it that this myth was created by a Latii that was deeply dissatisfied with the way things presently are in the world, huh?

“You cannot mean to say that you have missed the point of our teachings?! To seek such domination over the material world is to engage in sin! There is nothing at the end of this path, except for assured destruction!”

I mean, considering how many times humans have tried to turn living gods into batteries and almost oopsed the world just in trainerverse times…
720106605982646283.webp

“Rapidash here does not seem to take issue with that, and neither do I. We are fed, we are comfortable, and we are happy. And if the world is fated to end, then we shall protect it so that we may continue to feel that way. That is the true reason us humans exist. Your immaterial god has nothing to do with it.”

“Your impurities say one thing, but your soul says another!” Eligius preached. “The Ark is everything! You cannot hope to avert the end, that is why our teachings matter! For should you continue to indulge in material pleasures, the Ark will die along with this world and there will be nothing left but void! It is not too late to turn back from this path! You can still save the Ark within you!”

King:
giphy.gif

But Eligius’ plea fell on deaf ears. “You have already saved us, there is nothing else to save us from,” he said. “And do not think to oppose our use of pokémon in this way, for we have also trained them in the art of battle, and will use their power against you should it come to that. This conversation is over.”

And thus, Latiis promptly buggered off and almost never showed themselves before humans ever again.

In the wake of this confrontation, Eligius was left baffled as to how the situation could have taken such a turn. He was confused by King’s words. “Pokémon exist for human benefit? How could that make sense? Pokémon were an accident, and humans are no different.”

Now I’m curious as to what the story is behind the Latiis in this setting and why they have such a dour outlook on material existence.

That is when he was hit with an epiphany. As he discovered, the humans were correct. Pokémon were created for human benefit. And the humans themselves represent the other half of the duality we had not realized we existed in until that moment. Humans are, in fact, the scions of the material god.

Without the Lati realizing, this false god must have created the humans before its death in order to maintain its creation. And in doing so, they could guarantee the destruction of the Ark that they so hated. That is the source of the impurity present in the souls of pokémon, for they were created to assist humanity in that endeavor. And Eligius had unwittingly assisted them towards that same goal.

>the scions of the material god
>this false god

Oh, so there’s a straight-up demiurge in this setting, since boy is that setup familiar to anyone who’s got even a passing knowledge of Gnosticism. Though it makes me wonder if they see Arceus as that demiurge, or some other party.

In the wake of this incident, all of the tribes attempted to share the blame. But the Blue Aeon blamed himself the most, for it was him who proposed to assist the humans in the first place. He considered for a long time what must be done.

Violence was out of the question, as that, too, is a material sin. But every time he looked out at the state of the world, he saw humanity’s conquest progress further and further. His guilt grew and twisted within him, until it turned to darkness and impurity, and even the words of his sister could not get through to him.

“The Ark is the only thing that matters. Even morality and tradition are secondary. And yet, this is my mistake, and so I shall commit this sin alone so that it may not be borne by the souls of any other. This is my punishment.”

I mean, you could just go and play phone-a-friend with one of the Taos, since as of Gen 9, it’s established that they would gleefully come along and lay waste to King’s realm if he were remotely representative of its people.

And so, Eligius left the tribes behind to kill the humans that he had assisted. The powerful magic of the Blue Aeon showed the humans the harsh reality of their impurity, for they could never hope to replicate such feats.

Yet, true to the words of King, the humans demonstrated their own mastery of the material world. They employed all of the world’s pokémon to stop Eligius, and fought alongside them as well using their weapons made from the earth’s metals and their fortifications made from its mountains. For the first time, the Lati had met a species capable of outlasting them, and so Eligius eventually fell at King’s own hand. For that is the fate of anyone who dares to challenge humanity.

That is the story of how the humans killed the Blue Aeon. The Red Aeon, too, would one day fall to the humans, but that is another story…

401083507872366598.webp

I don’t know if this setting is meant to share one with some of your other writings, but I suppose that would explain a thing or two about why Latiis are so elusive in this setting. Since… yeah. I wouldn’t want to get too close to humans either with something like that in my culture’s mythos lingering around.

And made it to the end. The four drabbles had a really big spread of themes and moods, which definitely kept things interesting, though it makes me wonder if they share a setting or not from just how different they are to each other. Eligius’ Parable is definitely the main standout of the bunch since there’s a lot of “there’s more to this story” just dripping from it that would be fun to see one day, but I suppose that’s a story for another time if / when you’re motivated.

I had a few issues with the way that the paragraphs were divided up in a few parts and a couple spots that felt like they were underdescribed like the tail end of the calendar drabble. The calendar drabble one in general I thought was the weak link, since it’s basically completely disconnected from showing how Pokémon and humans relate to each other barring the passing mention of the Gardevoir in the outro scene. It might have made sense to try and incorporate Pokémon a bit more into it, even if it was something as simple as having them present in various scenes on the calendars’ images, which could dovetail into why Lumen and his father develop attachments to their old ones.

But altogether, I thought that these were pretty fun flash fics, @JFought . Some of them seem like they’d be fun to be explored a bit more, especially the DRAYDIS and Eligius’ Parable ones, but even if you don’t go further with them, I think that they were fun breathers (well, mostly, Eligius’ Parable was a lot more [cabotcrying]), and it’ll be fun to see what other spur-of-the-moment stories you can cook up in future drabble bingos.

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Hi there! Hitting this one up for review blitz.

For "No, you can't go to work with me..."
Man you really did a great job of capturing the vibe of a person and their pet they're particularly close to. And the vibe of a cat and how much it can feel like they're silently judging you if you don't do what they want. While I've never felt the desire to take my pet to work and never felt like they wanted me to, I have DEFINITELY had instances where my pet lays down on me or in my way when I need to do something because they don't want me to go or want something out of me.

If there's one critique that I could offer, it's that the cadence of the first sentence feels a little off, due to the amount of short, one syllable words coming one after the next.

For "It's not dumb"
I feel like I may be missing some crucial context for this one, but I'll say what I can.

This one was honestly really a really cute and heartwarming vignette. A little peek into someone's life and a special moment they shared with their father. And then juxtaposed with the second scene, it gives the vibe that it's something that stuck with him, even if his dad isn't around anymore (at least that's the tonal implication I got)

For “DRAYDIS”
Something I'm noticing across these ficlets is that you have a good grasp of when to be detailed, and when to leave things up to the reader to interpret and fill in the blanks. The Mossdeep incident is a great example of that. This one also does a nice job of touching on the precarious balance of human advancement versus its impact on nature. It's particularly noticeable when “Nature” is a giant sky dragon that can kill humans if they piss it off.

I appreciate the bit of levity at the end with the GTFS project lol.

For “Eligius’ Parable”
If there's one thing I think you are extremely good at. It's tone. And that really shows itself here. With the word choice, tense, and style you use, this really reads like a parable/religious short story. I will say though, I can’t help but find myself asking questions or wanting to know more. For example, I want to know who this false god is, or what the deal with the Ark is, but I also find myself wondering things like “do pokemon eat each other in this universe? Or is everyone an herbivore/there’s non-pokemon meat sources. Would the Lati’s find that unacceptable? Or is that okay, or is it just something they look the other way on? If either of the latter, what makes eating a pokemon okay, but using their fur/hides unacceptable? I may be overthinking this a little because of my own approaches, sorry if that’s a bit tangential.

Regardless, overall, I really liked reading these. Like I said, I think you do an amazing job setting tone. Keep up the good work.

JFought

Sloooowly writing...
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. jfought-sword
  2. jfought-blue
  3. deerling-summer
  4. charmeleon
  5. vulpix
Some quick review replies!

Wait, who is Venus here again? His Gardevoir? Or an offscreen human?
Lumen is the Gardevoir, actually! I think I see where the confusion with that one lies, as in hindsight I took it for granted that the audience would immediately understand the twist, when really the ending probably needed a little bit more context to hit properly. I know his species wasn't mentioned earlier, which is intentional.

As for Venus, thaaaat was a name that in a regular story I'd never drop removed from context like this, but I figured if I was just gonna be self-indulgent I might as well go all the way. Which is to say that this story probably makes more sense with context from Sword, and maybe doesn't really hold up on its own.

Wasn’t expecting the sudden swerve into humor there, but I suppose that people get crabby after their rockets get blown up for the umpteenth time.
That wasn't the only joke in the acronyms, though the other is a lot less obvious. :P

I mean, as
994427253242990704.webp
as this is, surely Eligius would’ve had an idea that there would always be cruel and sociopathic types in any given population of sapient beings. Unless this is a folktale among Latiis meant to rationalize how they’re now living as small, highly-mobile herds/flocks/whatchamacalits.
As odd as it might sound, for the Lati, humans were their first exposure to these kinds of power dynamics. Not that they're unaware of the concept of manipulation, their perception is just Different (the best way I can put it is that they aren't affected by scarcity in the same way everything else on the planet is).

I don’t know if this setting is meant to share one with some of your other writings, but I suppose that would explain a thing or two about why Latiis are so elusive in this setting. Since… yeah. I wouldn’t want to get too close to humans either with something like that in my culture’s mythos lingering around.
Everything here is canon to Sword. that's actually why it's called "Light" Drabbling. I've gone back and forth on how outright I want to be about it, as some of the stuff I wrote (and may write for this in the future) is very indulgent in parts of the setting I haven't gotten to yet. Regardless, that's part of the reason this isn't in my signature: this is all basically secret content where I screw around with concepts that'll take years to get to otherwise.

Which is to say that if you're interested in seeing more of some of these concepts, don't worry, I have every intention to go further with them :copyka:
Something I'm noticing across these ficlets is that you have a good grasp of when to be detailed, and when to leave things up to the reader to interpret and fill in the blanks. The Mossdeep incident is a great example of that.
I'm glad this one came across well! I was going for the vibe of a Wikipedia article (specifically the summary that every article begins with). Originally I considered underlining all of the key terms as if they were hotlinks to other pages, but I decided against it.

I will say though, I can’t help but find myself asking questions or wanting to know more. For example, I want to know who this false god is, or what the deal with the Ark is, but I also find myself wondering things like “do pokemon eat each other in this universe? Or is everyone an herbivore/there’s non-pokemon meat sources. Would the Lati’s find that unacceptable? Or is that okay, or is it just something they look the other way on? If either of the latter, what makes eating a pokemon okay, but using their fur/hides unacceptable?
I can actually answer these! Well, not the first one ;P. Pokémon do eat each other, and the Lati view this as a necessary evil: a "material sin" forced by an imperfect world. The Lati themselves are omnivores, and most do go vegan out of the belief it makes them more "pure," though generally they don't blame others for their diet, as it's seen as necessary for survival (though part of it is just that Lati are generally conflict-averse). Humans skinning Pokémon for their furs and hides is seen as unacceptable because they don't believe it's necessary (at the very least, they don't understand that humans need clothes to stay warm). To kill and use others in one-sided ways for unnecessary reasons is seen as being indulgent in material sin, and so it's portrayed as one of the ways in which humans don't respect nature or the divinity of the world's creatures. If you could convince a Lati that a human in a cold environment would die without fur clothing, you might be able to get them to change their mind, though they'd definitely try to argue with you first, and while they don't like conflict they are also very stubborn.

Regardless, overall, I really liked reading these. Like I said, I think you do an amazing job setting tone. Keep up the good work.
I'm glad you enjoyed them! It's nice to hear I did well on tone, given the variety at play and some of the experiments I tried.

Thanks to both of you for checking these out! I wasn't expecting it to get much more attention at all tbh ^^;.

Last edited:
Top Bottom