• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[INNOCENTS WIN] Grand Opening Fanfic Mafia - Game Thread

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Grand Opening Fanfic Mafia

Player List

DeliriousAbsol (Infinite)
NebulaDreams (Ess)

Dragonfree (Dave)
Namohysip (Hecto)
Virgil134 (Cabot)
Umbramatic (Loki)
Sike Saner (Karo)
The Walrein (Psyduck)

Chibi Pika (Starr)
qva (Lachlan)
NonAnalogue (Mel)
M&F (Mia)

Of everyone here, Mia and Loki are the only ones who've experienced inter-narrative travel before. Perhaps as a result Mia's the only one looking even remotely calm, waiting patiently for something actually interesting to happen. There are chattering, excited pokémon, humans who look a bit weirded out that the pokémon are chattering, and what might be a pokémon no one here has ever seen before or might be something else entirely, a lean jackal-creature staying at the far edge of the crowd. There's also one pokémon who seems to consider herself too good to mingle with the rest, a psyduck off by herself, periodically grimacing as though in pain. Mia likes that she doesn't make noise when she doesn't need to.

Starr, too, would probably prefer the psyduck to the cranidos who's currently trying to talk her ear off. Personality clashes are inevitable when you bring people from so many different storylines together. They all know they'll have to put up with it, though, that these are the only people who have any hope of bringing the Mafia to justice--except, of course, for those very same Mafia hiding in their midst.

Night zero has now begun. All role PM's have been sent--if you didn't receive one, please contact me immediately!

Night zero will last for 48 hours. As a reminder, no players will be eliminated tonight. See my post in the sign-up thread for more information; I've also added some additional clarification to that post regarding how the recruitment action can be interacted with.

Good luck, everyone!

Last edited:

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
"So who's got information?" Starr said, when the group reconvened the next morning. "Who knows something? Who did something?"

"You expect us to give it up that easy, human?" Ess asked, arms crossed over chest. He wished he had the rest of his gang here to back him up. Too many people he didn't know, this whole weird inter-dimensional situation he didn't understand. But he couldn't show any of that, of course. "Why don't you share what you've got, if you're so eager."

"Yeah. I don't take orders from some human," Loki said, grinning toothily and tapping his scepter idly against one leg.

"Umm, hang on, hang on. We can't be fighting. That's what the Mafia want," Lachlan interjected. "And if you have information, you should definitely share it. We have to work together if we're going to win this."

"And paint a target on my back? No thank you," Ess said. "Who do you think the Mafia are going to go after? The people who know things, duh."

"Look, the sooner we get working on this, the sooner we can all go home. I don't like it either, but standing around arguing isn't going to help," Starr said, hands on hips.

Home. There was more than one person who shifted at the sound of the word, glanced away across the strange and empty narrative junction. Who wanted to be here, after all? Who wanted to be wrapped up in any of this?

At least it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Everyone had met up here, just like they said they would. No one missing. No more strange disappearances. But how much longer could this peace possibly last?

Night zero is over. No one was eliminated.

Seventy-two hours for discussion.

Also, just a couple of quick notes on gameplay if you haven't done a forum-based mafia before. By the end of the day there should be a vote for one player to be jailed (and thus removed from the game) at the end of the day. To indicate that you're voting for someone, please put their name in bold font. Votes will not count if they're not bolded. At the end of the day, if the vote is tied, then one of the players with the highest vote count will be eliminated at random.

Please do not edit your posts in this thread! If you need to correct something or follow up, simply double (or triple, whatever!) post. If you edit your post I will edit it back so that everyone can see the changes. Post carefully--if you accidentally give something away, you won't be able to take it back.

Last edited:

kyeugh

you gotta feel your lines
Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
[ i don't really know how the whole roleplaying thing is supposed to work so i'll wait for someone else to post that way and then try my hand at it. but: no nightkill, nice!! lucky doctor? ]

M&F

emerald girl
[not lucky doctor, no; Negrek actually set this up so nobody would die N0, because it's our first mafia game in this forum so it'd be undesirable for one of us to miss out on the whole game. however, instead of today's nightkill, the mob gets to convert someone -- starting N2, if the action's successfully gone through today]

The Walrein

Vicinal Dragging for the Truth
Partners
  1. gulpin
  2. kricketot
  3. bulbasaur
Psyduck glanced around at her fellow inter-narrative travelers, head already starting to throb as the inevitable bickering began. Although she was tempted to waddle off into a soothingly dark and quiet corner and and ponder the philosophical implications of multiple fanfiction dimensions with contradictory backstories and worldbuilding existing simultaneously, Psyduck knew she couldn't. The thought of an entity powerful enough to extend across the multiverse and cause people to vanish into nothingness - to make their existence as fictitious as most imagined fanfic characters to be - unnerved Psyduck more than she cared to admit. And perhaps - as absurd as the possibility might seem - there might even be something to learn from some of these strange characters and their different worlds. So, with great reluctance, Psyduck forced herself to make her way towards the crowd and approached the wiry, black-haired human who had spoken earlier.

"Excuse me, ah, Lachlan, I believe your name was? I happened to overhear something you stated earlier, about the necessity of pooling our common knowledge for us to have any chance of getting out of this situation. And I quite happen to agree. The best place to begin, I believe, is the beginning itself - that is, the circumstances surrounding the initial bout of disappearances in our home worlds that compelled each of us to gather together here today. Perhaps by comparing our different tales, we may glean commonalities in the disappearances that suggest who this "Mafia", as I suppose everyone's terming it now, might be likely to target next.

Until recently, I lived a humble but philosophically rich life in a Pokemon daycare deep in the countryside. The first inkling I had of something being amiss came when a Zoroark who lived alongside us failed to return from one of his extended excursions into the surrounding wilderness. Of course, at first we dismissed the disappearance as merely a prelude to one of his infantile pranks. But several days later, just as the finest minds among us were debating the merits of sending out a search party, another us of vanished right from under our beaks - a Slakoth who'd been the first to express alarm over the Zoroark's absence. After a full examination of the daycare's grounds failed to turn up even the scent of him, a Farfetch'd with a tenuous grasp on reality began to shriek that Zoroark must've devoured him whole. He was the next to vanish, which to the simpler-minded members of our daycare lent credence to his accusation.

Following that, it was decided that we should adopt a risibly-named "buddy system" - as if mere physical proximity could bring about bonds of true companionship - which was, of course, effectual only at accelerating the growth of distrust and paranoia between us. When Clefairy disappeared after that, suspicion naturally fell upon the 'buddy' who was supposed to have been accompanying her, Seviper. After Seviper's next volunteer comrade, Grumpig, disappeared, it was decided that she should be locked in the basement. By this point, of course, it had become apparent to me that these disappearances were being done in a systematic fashion, calculated to turn us against each other.

The situation deteriorated quickly after that. Each new dawn brought with it a new disappearance. Pokemon began to fear what would happen when whatever shadowy force was behind all of this had diminished our numbers enough that they no longer felt they needed to stay hidden. Then, our resident Porygon claimed that they'd found out about similar patterns of disappearances in other worlds through some sort of telepathy they called the 'internet', and that they'd also heard of a rumor that certain residents of those worlds were gathering together to try to get to the bottom of the situation. Although I held great skepticism of this rumor, I was under no illusions as to my odds of remaining corporeally unchallenged if I remained at the daycare, and so I sought out this meeting ground between worlds. What happened to the Pokemon I left behind, I know nothing of."

Psyduck paused for a moment, and, as if suddenly realizing she'd forgotten to do so even once during her long monologue, let out an exaggerated moan and clutched the sides of her head.

"...there. I've told my story. Is there anyone else here who'd care to provide similar elucidation?"

NebulaDreams

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. luxray
  2. hypno
Ess picked his nose, trying to distract himself to avoid falling asleep at the Psyduck's story. He waited for them to shut their trap before tossing his own hat into the ring, and after sorting through the walls of flowery language, he concluded that this Psyduck went off on a complete tangent. After they were done, he spat some acidic phlegm at the floor.

"I have no idea what the hell you're yappin' about, Psy. I'm pretty damn skippy the people here don't speak nerd like you do.”

He yawned. “Still, sounds like you had a pretty peaceful life. I envy ya.”

Ess stood up, puffing his chest. He had to make a good first impression, and he hoped the Minccino™ designer gear he wore would make him stand out from the rest.

"Pokemon, humans, and all you freaks in between, I'm just as confused as you guys are. I ain't gonna make any promises. I might be part of the mafia. I might not. Why give the either of you ammo to axe me off either way? But lemme tell you my own story, just to break the ice a bit.”

He whipped the phone out of his pocket and started playing a rap beat. He danced in place, forming up lyrics in his head before attempting a freestyle.

“Yo,

I’ve lived in the shadows,
Been hanged from the gallows,
I know what it’s like pickin’ off table scraps.

I’m a Scrafty in body,
I know it’s pretty shoddy,
But trust me, I know being a Pokemon’s crap.

Ferals, strays,
huntin’ nights and days,
Whenever they strike, best not to leave a witness.

In the woods, it’s madness,
in the streets, there’s sadness,
but either way, it’s just the survival of the fittest.

I wanna change that shit,
Now I’m makin’ a hit,
I’m spittin’ bars like I spit my sizzle, yo.

I’ll try my best,
My ego’s like my crest,
It stands proud, so know I’m number one, my nizzle, yo.”

He stopped the music and waited, trying to gauge everyone’s reactions.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
A canid Zygarde watched Ess, hexagonal, featureless eyes showing no expression, though his ears twitched backward. The Scrafty seemed confused in quite a number of ways, and briefly, Hecto wondered if he should have packed a Persim Berry or two.

"A very passionate performance," replied Hecto. His manner of speaking was neutral but pronounced, easy to understand, yet difficult to read. Was he impressed by the rap? Had he heard better? Or was he disturbed? Frightened? There was no telling how he felt. "I do hope your sizzle and bar spitting is not the result of detrimental health conditions." Perhaps there was some telling.

The Zygarde then sat down, posed like a show Froufrou, and spoke next. "I am Zygarde Hecto of Kilo. I have come here across the Overworld to investigate the strange disappearances taking place in worlds insecure. While this place is beyond my typical jurisdiction... my superior insisted that I go regardless. Matters of duty and justice, and I imagine also because there is worry that such chaos of unknown scope may continue to spread. Though, I must agree with Scrafty: We currently know very little."

Hecto paused, eyeing Loki. His ears twitched again. Is that...? "Hm. It appears that I was not the only of my kind sent to such matters. Though I am unfamiliar with the form you are taking... are you also an Embodiment of Balance?" It was mostly to himself, though if within earshot, Loki may have been able to hear his words. A Zygarde taking on a human shape? Humans in general, in fact, Hecto's eyes trailing to Starr and Dave, among others. The white hexagons glowed slightly; morbid as the situation was, there was at least a silver lining in being able to see such a foreign species.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Just some additional notes and rules clarifications.

You are not required to RP in this game. If you're not feeling it, in a hurry, whatever, out of character posts are entirely acceptable. You can also include OOC portions in your post if you want to do strategizing that your character would not. Play however you think would be the most fun for you!

If no one votes by the end of the day, a player will be chosen at random to be eliminated. If you want to vote to jail no one for the day, you must actively choose to vote that way by bolding your choice, the same as for a regular vote. If the option to jail no one wins for the day, no one will be jailed.

A player's alignment will be revealed when they are eliminated from the game. Their role will not. The roles used in this game will remain unknown until the game is over.

NonAnalogue

Losing her head
Pronouns
she/her
Mel sighed. It had not been a great couple of days up until that point. There had been the injured Oddish that she'd been trailing - her job was, after all, to bring severely hurt Pokemon to the shelter so that they could be rehabilitated - and it had not wanted to come quietly. One spray burst of Sleep Powder, and...

Well.

Here she was, which was weird enough on its own.

"Hey boss," whispered a voice at her ear, "are you doing okay?" It belonged to her stalwart companion, a Ditto named Repeat; he'd scarcely left her side in the decade-plus that they'd known each other. He sat on her shoulder and patted the back of her head.

"Yeah, Repeat," Mel whispered back. "I'm good. Thanks." She looked around the assembled group. Most of them were Pokemon, ones she'd only seen rarely around Kanto, though there were a few other humans and even a couple that she couldn't immediately identify. A few of them had already started introducing themselves; Mel was less surprised than perhaps most humans would be to hear Pokemon talking. She could feel a cloud of emotions hanging over the group - confusion, mostly, but also frustration here and there and even a little hint of amusement. Her psychic abilities weren't strong enough to peg what was coming from who, but, to put it bluntly, some of them were wearing their emotions on their sleeves anyway.

Mel cleared her throat after the green dog, the one that called himself 'Zygarde Hecto of Kilo,' whatever that meant, finished speaking. "Uh, hey," she said. "Name's Mel. This," she continued, hooking a thumb at the Ditto on her shoulder, "is Repeat."

"Hi," Repeat said, waving a pseudopod.

"We have no idea what we're doing here. Wish I could say it was some stuff about how we were sent here for a purpose or whatever, but nah. We got blasted with Sleep Powder and woke up here, both of us." Mel let out a long breath. "Anyway, soon as we figure out a way outta here, I'm gone. Nothing against all of you, but we were in the middle of a job and I wanna get back to it quick."

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. weavile
  3. kommo-o
  4. noivern
  5. mothim
Cabot blinked silently as Ess finished his performance. What… did he just listen to? The music sounded strange to say the least, and whatever the Scrafty was trying to tell everyone was definitely harder to follow than what Pysduck said. Did all Pokémon from his world act that way? And why did he openly say that he might be part of the Mafia? If he wasn’t a bad Pokémon, surely he’d deny being associated with a group that made people disappear. But if he was… well, he’d have to pretty incompetent to just blurt it out like that!

The Cranidos shook his head and briefly considered speaking up, only for Hecto to beat him to the punch. Cabot listened to Hecto, and then Mel, her story making him wonder what sort of job would be more important than stopping this Mafia that was plaguing so many worlds.

“Er… well maybe we should just first get to know each other then? That seems like a good way to start solving this, right?”

Cabot took a step forward and cleared his throat to speak, taking the opportunity to speak next.

“My name is Cabot and I’m from an empire called Anyilla. Some… bad things happened to my world a long time ago and because of that humans no longer exist there and the only livable part is a sea full of islands. Since I wanted to see more of the world than just the island I grew up on, I signed up for the navy.

I first heard about the disappearances when the ship I work on got assigned to defend a small island called Sormus. Multiple Pokémon from the village had mysteriously gone missing, including some of the guards, so they were worried they could no longer defend the island against pirates. While we were stationed there, me and my friends tried to figure out what was going on in the hopes of finding the missing Pokémon and stopping whoever was behind it. We didn’t have much luck at first… but eventually we did make some progress. At least…”

Cabot trailed off and glumly looked down at the ground, before letting out a sigh and continuing with his story.

“At least until one of my friends, Niilo, disappeared as well… I tried to look for him with my other friend, Berecien, but we got separated at some point. When I heard him call out, I came over to find him gone and a fading portal instead. I jumped in hoping whoever was doing this took him through that… and well that’s how I ended up here.”

The Cranidos fidgeted with his claws as he thought of how to continue.

“When I signed up for the navy I was hoping it’d be like an adventure… but I never expected to go to another world, let alone get wrapped up in anything like this. Maybe jumping into that portal was a bit reckless, but now that I know this is happening in so many other worlds, I also think we should work together. We can’t stop this alone, and it’s the only way to keep others from disappearing and maybe find the ones who went missing!”

Sike Saner

fundead
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. glalie
Karo "sat down", so to speak, his stumpy legs receding into his body with an audible grinding of stone. Looked like they could be there a while. Might as well get comfortable.

Then it occured to him that getting too comfortable might have been exactly what got him here. Hmm. Deciding he wasn't altogether interested in another random whisk-away, he rose once more.

"Guess it's my turn," he said. "The name's Karo. I came here from a town called Convergence. Nice place. I think you'd like it," he added, turning with more obnoxious stone-scraping noise to face the human with the ditto perched on top. Or were they human? Karo hadn't known their kind to be capable of understanding pokémon before. Maybe he was actually looking at a ditto perched on another ditto.

"Feel free to interpret for anyone who needs it," he threw in.

Turning back to face no one in particular once more, "Last thing I remember, I was at home," he went on. "I've been watching the place while Ren's away. My trainer," he clarified. "Anyway, at some point I guess I, uh. Fell asleep. Didn't mean to. Whoops. And when I woke up, here I was.

"Far as disappearances go... nothing to report." Something clicked into place inside his mind. "Unless... huh. Maybe that's what happened to Ren?" Something like concern arose, but was waved off just as quickly. "He's fine. Gotta be. He's got three other pokémon to watch his back." Which Karo would've liked to be doing himself,

M&F

emerald girl
Mia watched the discussion pass by, quiet -- and unnaturally still for someone who appears mostly human -- but attentive, like a frog watching the bog in the moments before springing to action at the sight of a fly.

She wasn't sure what interuniversal mess was developing this time, but she keenly felt that it could be resolved within a precise number of well-timed decapitations.

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Pronouns
Any
Partners
  1. reshiram
Loki looked around. They had eyes, many eyes, they'd find out the culprit to this whole debacle anyway. But they needed to start small.

They split into two 10% Zygarde, one approaching Hecto and one approaching Karo.

"Nice to see another Zygarde here," they said to Hecto.

"I'm Loki. You seem to be awfully worried about this Trainer of yours," he said to Karo.

Sike Saner

fundead
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. glalie
"Whoa. Nice trick, there." Karo found himself mildly envious--it'd sure be great to be in more than one place right about now. Or in general, really. Though preferably without turning into some sort of funky-looking houndoom in the process. That snout-to-body ratio would not do.

"Anyway, nah. Not worried. Dude's a gym leader. He knows what he's doing."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Dave sat there, arms crossed, fingers drumming, scowl deepening as the others spoke. A fucking talking duck. A rapping Scrafty. A Cranidos talking about being in the fucking navy. A transforming fucking myth-snake. All just... sitting in a circle telling their stories like some kind of fucking AA meeting.

Whatever unholy nightmare this was that he was stuck in, it didn't make any fucking sense.

And then Mia was there, which was a whole class of not making any fucking sense on its own. He tried not to look at her, but kept finding himself looking at her anyway.

"Look," he said at last when he couldn't stand it anymore, "we're talking about people up and disappearing into thin air. Here's a fucking thought: maybe it's the goddamn legendaries. You know, the deities with the reality-warping fucking superpowers? Anyone?" He glares hard at the two Zygarde.

NonAnalogue

Losing her head
Pronouns
she/her
"Legendaries are capable of a lot of different stuff," Mel said.

"Yeah, chief," said Repeat. "So how do we know..."

"... that any given legendary can just up and make people disappear, right?" Mel shut her eyes, thinking. "Makes sense to me. Wide range of skills out there. I dunno much about these Zygarde, but, like, Articuno and them don't do much reality warping."

"Exactly!" Repeat said with a smile. "So what is it Zygarde can do?"

kyeugh

you gotta feel your lines
Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
[ mother of god all this text. you're all mafia ]

Lachlan rubbed the back of his head, eyes flitting between the various pokémon and people as they spoke. Damn, but it sure was a lot of chitter chatter. What the hell was up with all the talking pokémon anyway? And was that two zygardes? Wherever he was, it certainly wasn't Castelia City.

"Uh, I don't know how helpful this is, but I'm just a normal guy, and uh..." Lachlan was suddenly keenly aware of the fact that speaking up usually resulted in people listening. He felt quite hot under his shirt. "Haha, yeah. Definitely not evaporating people or whatever. Where the hell are we, anyway? And why does that green girl have knife hands?"

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Starr glances around at the others, listening to all the introductory speeches with a look of distaste. Too many wide-eyed, idealistic types. Too trusting. It isn’t until after sitting through the particularly long-winded rambles of an overeager child soldier insisting that everyone work together that she’s finally had enough.

“‘Work together.’ That’s a real nice idea. Real cute. I think you guys are forgetting that someone in this room is behind all this crap and we gotta figure it out soon, or we’re toast, you hear?”

She glances over at a group currently interrogating the Zygarde pair. “And seriously, what makes you guys so damn sure that the ones behind this would be so obvious as to disguise themselves as the most powerful things in the friggin room? This whole thing reeks of a distraction.” At this point she sighs exasperatedly. “Look I’ve been trying to figure out some of this crap myself, but I haven’t got much. But I know someone here has gotta know something about the people who’re trying to axe us. Give us something to work with, dammit. Any info at all.”

((We should... maybe try to do some actual strategizing at some point lol?))

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
(Technically Hecto already did some strategizing in that he said little information is present, though I see your point.)

Hecto gave Loki a formal nod. "It is. I hadn't expected another of our kind to appear, but perhaps a call for balance is in order. It only seemed appropriate." He then addressed the others, turning his head so he could look at as many of them as we could at once. "I understand your concerns regarding suspicion over Pokemon spoken of in tales and legends. However, I can confirm that I am not of the sort that can warp reality at my will, let alone one for mysterious disappearances. I also question the idea that one behind such things would be so brazen with their abilities as to disguise themselves as something powerful. Alternatively, it may also be the case that they are, in a sort of reverse-psychology."

Hecto bowed his head. "Therefore, I believe that the appearance of someone here would play little role regarding their actual capabilities. I also believe that by not attempting to at least apprehend one person today, we are only giving the assailants a free moment to get rid of us. I agree that despite the risk, action is better than inaction. If anybody feels that they can present information to assist, perhaps that will be of use. Could there be someone here that can counteract these disappearances before they happen? Someone who can sense if another is involved with the assailants?" Hecto hummed thoughtfully, ears twitching. "We surely outnumber the assailants. If we can use our numbers to our advantage, then probability will be in our favor. We must vote to jail somebody today, at random, unless someone can provide information otherwise. Perhaps we may draw straws."

Top Bottom