• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[INNOCENTS WIN] First Anniversary Fanfic Mafia - Game Thread

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
[[Next, he turned his attention to the discussion of lovers. "If anyone has chosen to become mates with someone else here - a horrible decision, by the way, there are few here I would consider mate material - they should keep it to themselves. Speaking up would only make them an easy target and, well, I don't want to hear about it."]]
Quick note to keep this not weird, by mate he more or less is referring to dating/marriage, but its the only language he has/knows for that kind of relationship.

A couple of quick notes based on where the vote is going, and my vote?

1. Nonanalogue. Has been relatively inactive, but most of what she's done is just focus on Tanuki. If tanuki dies or is jailed and flips innocent, definitely worth looking into. That said I am a little bit hesitant to go off of meta, since I imagine different roles would also affect how a player acts? But this is my first game, and I know someone previously mentioned that it's kind of part of the game so... shrug. I'm not particularly tied to this read, but non definitely isn't who I'd target today. Emphasis on today. Tomorrow, I'd be willing to re-evaluate this, depending on what we find out.

2. Tanuki. Kind of all over the place, but I think it was previously discussed that this might be on purpose? I dunno. I don't have good read on him either way.

3. DawningWinds. Several people have pointed out reasons they might be scum and... For the most part, I'm inclined to agree. That said, I can understand the strat dw might be going for as town, if they are town, but I don't think it's the most efficient way to handle things. It's been argued back and forth so much though that I don't have anything new to contribute so I'm going to just leave it at that.

So, of these three, the one I'm most settled on leaving alone is Tanuki. His claim as backup has gone uncontested, and if he is a healer, I think it's a good idea to have as many as possible tonight. He's worth looking into more, but I'm not too concerned at the moment and think, if he is truthful, he's of more use alive.

Now, between non and dw... I have to think for a moment. Someone else brought up the concern that a bus driver, especially a mafia one, could mess up Namo's shot, and I'm inclined to agree. So with that in mind, I feel like DawningWinds is the safest one to jail.

[["What in Yveltal's name is that voice and why is it making a decision for me? You. God or whatever you are. Are you the one that brought me to this godforsaken world?"]]

...maybe?

Sike Saner

fundead
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. glalie
[["What..." What was Diyem on about? People speaking without speaking? Was he trying to imply there were telepaths among them? Perhaps that was how the enemies were coordinating their attacks...]]

Yes, that's it, friend. Keep your head in the immediate, don't read anything else into--

[[Wait. Someone was speaking just now.

Ntairow tensed, the branches of her tail bristling. The words were undeniable. They didn't quite feel like telepathy, though. They felt like... she wasn't sure...

"Who's there?" she demanded, feeling slightly foolish as she spoke up. But she wasn't the first to talk to someone with no provable presence. If she was mad, so were they.]]

Oh. Shit. Um, hi?

[[One of the humans said something about gods. Ntairow wasn't sure she was ready to leap to that conclusion.

A "place" that was actually something alive, however, with an ability to swallow up those who are "jailed" and the ability to speak in some manner...

"What are you...?"]]

Uh... Hey look, a distraction!

[[Ntairow glares upward, unamused.

"Explain yourself. Now."

Moments pass, and she gets only silence in return. Or some voiceless equivalent of silence, anyway.]]

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
Eh, I can agree that changing your mind is fine but he's also kind of done this on you before. Before he said about you "if you are a healer"
[[“I didn’t say nothin’ o’ the sort,” Desper spat.]]

Yes you did. Anyway, don’t take what he says seriously most of the time. He meant he was working under the assumption Ntairow was a healer.

[[“I’on’t need you sayin’ t’others wh’I just did.”]]

I have word from several people that yes you do, and what you just said would probably be evidence enough on its own.

[[Desper listened close, findin’ just where th’voice was speakin’ ‘n’ ‘n one swift motion, a shot rang out, firin’nto the sky.]]

God, I wish that worked.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
"If anyone has chosen to become mates with someone else here - a horrible decision, by the way, there are few here I would consider mate material
[[“Wha’s wrong, Nippers? ‘M I too outta y’r league?” Desper asked with a grin.]]

His translator chose not to comment.

[[Desper grit his teeth. “Y’just did sayin’ ye wouldn’t.”]]

Oh fuck you. You get prose and I don’t? This is bullshit. “Experience for the job market” my ass. My specialty language is Japanese, not hick.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
[["Board game gods? I suppose they're part of a form of religion in your world?" There were plenty of other, more logical explanations for the strange voices making suggestions. Such as recordings, psychic-type Pokémon who made a habit out of messing with people's minds, hallucinations, or maybe this entire game was a dream and none of the others existed. But gods? Sure, she'd met her share of semi-immortal Pokémon that were stronger than most others, but she wouldn't call them deities.]]
[[Dave gritted his teeth. "No, it's not a fucking religion. We've got things that can drag you into hell-dimensions with board game rules where physics don't exist and there are dead people walking around. Call them what you fucking want."]]

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
[[“Wha’s wrong, Nippers? ‘M I too outta y’r league?” Desper asked with a grin.]]
[[Nip narrowed his eyes, his ear flicking as he tried to figure out what the raichu was trying to say.]]

Oh, come on bud, that's an easy one.

[["I didn't ask you!" he snapped at the sky before turning his attention back to Desper. "It's the exact opposite and you know it."]]

Just ignore him, Desper, he's always like this.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
*taken, God. Desper’s inability to speak a full word is infecting me.

[[“I’ll choose not t’comment on that’n.”]]

You just did.

[[Desper ignored the intern and went back to Nip. “Aw, think I ain’t got’nuff actual to buy you a night? I’d make it worth your while.”]]

Please don’t make me translate that. He, uh, offered to take you on a nice, expensive dinner date.

[[Desper gave Nip a sultry wink.]]

I’m gonna vomit.

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
[["I am... not certain you are telling the truth, Voice That Speaks For Desper."]]

Sorry Desper, that won't work because Nip is still learning about the concepts of money. He only just learned that weird shiny things can be exchanged for goods and services.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
[[“Votin’s closin’ soon, ain’it?” Desper asked ‘mself. “Well, might’s well reiterate mine’s goin’ t’wards that’n.”]]

Profesor Finnar. He means Professor Finnar.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
Sorry Desper, that won't work because Nip is still learning about the concepts of money.
[[Desper shook his head, grin spreadin’ his cheeks. “Aint’n issue ‘t’all. I ride mares, not stallions.”]]

He... his dating—he isn’t interested in men.

Day 3 End

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Although the day certainly began with a bang, compared to the one previous it's practically sedate. Tefiren fires cutting accusations at Professor Finnar, and for the most part, the rest of the group agrees. Even Professor Finnar has to shrug and admit they aren't without merit. That inspires some nervous mutters, and NonAnalogue's name is mentioned once or twice, but this time the whispers remain no more than that. The revelation of some kind of supernatural entities in the group's midst turns discussion away from jailing entirely.

As darkness falls and the malleable ground beneath her feet begins to ripple, Professor Finnar remains calm. Disdainful, even. She crosses her arms even as she begins to sink. "I hope you learn something valuable from this," she says. "How disappointing, if you went to all the trouble of killing me and it didn't even help you figure anything out." The not-ground closes over her head. A brief pulse of green blossoms across its surface, then fades to leave the ground as dark as the sky overhead.

Professor Finnar (DawningWinds) has been jailed. She was Innocent.

7 DawningWinds - Namohysip, Tanuki, DawningWinds, Sike Saner, elyvorg, Equitia, windskull
1 Desper - NonAnalogue
1 NonAnalogue - qva

Not Voting:
Dragonfree, SparklingEspeon

Night 3 begins now and will last until 9:30 PM UTC/5:30 PM EST May 16th, or until all night actions have been received.

Day 4 Start

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
To everyone's relief, the fourth day begins quietly. There are no roars, no cackles--certainly no manifestations of demonic power, draconic or otherwise. All that happens is the blank sky overhead grows abruptly bright.

Quiet doesn't mean safe, though. By now even the more confident characters have acquired a healthy dose of paranoia, the lot of them moving the way Tefiren did even at the start of the game: in short, cautious bursts, eyes always moving, scanning their surroundings for danger.

Nothing seems amiss until Desper finds Fiametta's phone lying discarded on the ground--or perhaps not so much discarded as hurled there, the malleable surface around it scuffed and gouged as if by some struggle. The rents are even now healing over, the ground returning to its usual blank featurelessness, but the phone itself is in rough shape, screen shattered and glass sctrewn across the healing ground beside. The battery icon flashes low, the screen so dark that Fiametta's last conversation is only barely readable.

Code:
-- Conversation initiated with WitchesBlue [FORTUNATA, FIAMETTA] --

[WB] wait no
[WB] no
[WB] cmon
[WB] you dont wanna do this
[WB] please
[WB] they were gonna let me go
[WB] they were gonna let me go if i did this
[WB] all i had to do was win the game
[WB] and like
[WB] i dunno what its like for everyone here
[WB] all really into your roleplayin and stuff
[WB] there was the thing with the dragon
[WB] that was weird to get described to me second hand
[WB] but they got me
[WB] i dont know where i am
[WB] all i got is this axsis
[WB] and a line out to play the game
[WB] and if i win
[WB] if we win
[WB] maybe theyll let me out
[WB] you dont understand
[WB] axsis got the drop on me
[WB] the people that happens to
[WB] nobody ever sees them again
[WB] i guess they just get locked in empty rooms
[WB] and get forced to play games for their freedom
[WB] i was gonna win
[WB] i could have done it
[WB] im not great at this kinda game
[WB] but it woulda meant that they coulda let me go
[WB] i mighta been able to talk to my friends again
[WB] and maybe i wouldnta been able to go home
[WB] but at least i wouldnta been here
[WB] please
[WB] please im beggin you
[WB] just let me win
[WB] let me win
[WB] let me go
[WB] everyone here can go on with their lives after this game
[WB] you get to log off
[WB] but
[WB] i dont know what theyre
[WB] wait
[WB] no
[WB] no no no
[WB] im not ready
[WB] please
[WB] please wait
[WB] please

-- AXSIS SpeechToText 4.7.1 has ceased running --
-- Conversation terminated with WitchesBlue [FORTUNATA, FIAMETTA] --
-- Have an AXSIS-approved day! --

Disturbing final words, to be sure, but the ripples of red that spread out wherever the ground has started to absorb the phone screen's shards suggests that, however determined she was to win, Fiametta wasn't playing for the home team.

Fiametta Fortunata (NonAnalogue) has been eliminated. She was Mafia.

The revelation of Fiametta's disappearance, as well as her alignment, leave people frazzled. One more mafia down, one day closer, perhaps, to the time when they all might return home. For a few minutes no one is thinking of who else might not have woken up this morning. Murmured speculation has already begun on the meaning of Fiametta's disappearance when Jen wonders aloud where Ntairow's gone.

It's true--the kwazai is usually a quiet but very visible presence, towering over everyone else on her four stiltlike legs. Once it's been pointed out, her absence is immediately obvious. It doesn't take long to establish that the kwazai isn't around--she'd certainly be difficult to hide--and when the group visits her makeshift cave, they find it empty.

Any sense of reassurance that might have come from the removal of a Mafia member rapidly evaporates as the group stands outside Ntairow's empty cave, watching it, in the absence of any will to shape it, slowly begin to lose its form and sink back into the featureless ground.

Ntairow Fade (Sike Saner) has been eliminated. She was Innocent.

Day 4 discussion begins now and will continue until 9:30 UTC/5:30 EST May 18.

(( If it wasn't immediately obvious, NonAnalogue wrote Fiametta's last conversation. As a reminder, if you'd like to write your own death flavor, please contact me about it ahead of time. ))

Last edited:

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
[[

Diyem slammed his mallet on the ground with a grunt. "You can thank me," he said, puffing a small ember, "for the phone."

]]

holy shit I can't believe that worked. I spent like an hour poring over the whole thread. I targeted Non with my power.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
[["What 'n the...," Desper flipped at the phone's screen after reading through the messages. Message of Ntairow's elimination strikes his heart next. He casts the phone aside and heads to the not a bird's abode. Once more, two boards'n twine appear, and he says a prayer as he ties them into a cross. "Trail-Rider above, thy name be glorified. Thine plan's b'yond m'understadin', but I pray tha'chu r'veal what 't'is I cannot see."

He pushed the cross into the ground, using the back end of his iron to hammer it down. "'Ga'dless, I pray you accept this soul 'mong y'ranks. If'n she saved one life, I b'lieve that's 'nuff. Fin'lly, may you reveal th'evil that brought her life to'n end. Amen."]]

...huh? What happened? Sorry, I just got here and apparently nobody in the office decided to make coffee. Mine's still brewing.

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
[[Tefiren watched the broken slate disappear into the floor with a flash of red. Red meant Them - and it made sense, really. Anyone who was talking out of their hiding place was either stupid, or they didn't even need to hide in the first place. It'd probably been the fiery one who got her. Not that Tefiren wouldn't have been able to as well, hypothetically, if he'd had tricks like the fiery one had. He was good at this game; he was. It was just certain other players being stupid that had stopped him from showing it properly.

...And the big blue one was gone, too. Which also made sense. Her tricks were helpful for protecting others, but apparently she couldn't protect herself. Of course They'd have gone for her.

But more importantly than any of that...

Tefiren walked up to the specific the spot on the ground that the white-coat Human had disappeared beneath yesterday, and glared at it. "Are you happy now, stupid Human?" he snapped irritably. "You thought we'd get so much information if we learned you weren't one of Them. Let's see, shall we? What information do we have now that we didn't have before?" He paced around the group in frustration. "That the big blue one is innocent? That the feline one is innocent? No! Even if the blue one hadn't got caught last night, even if we hadn't got rid of you, we'd still have thought that! We already thought that anyway, because what the blue one said and what the feline one saw had nothing to do with whether your stupid swapping trick happened or not! Did we learn that They have a trick to stop people acting? No! Because we already knew that once we've decided the blue one was telling the truth!"

He paced some more. "Oh, but at least now we know that the leek-duck isn't one of Them, right, because your stupid swapping means They went for him the night they caught Chibi? No, because we were all sure the duck wasn't one of Them anyway after he helped us get rid of the yellow-haired Human. A reason that had nothing to do with you!"

His pacing brought him right back to that spot on the ground, and he glared at it again. "But even if we hadn't had that reason to believe the leek-duck, I still wouldn't have needed you! I would have known anyway if you hadn't made me waste my trick to find out if someone is one of Them or not by making me use it on Chibi instead!" He morphed his front wing leaf into a shining blade and smashed it into that spot on the ground, hating the way it didn't even leave a mark. "Your stupid swapping and your stupid wanting to lose wasted everything! Why were you even in this game!?"

]]

(Tefiren, you are literally yelling at somebody whom you subconsciously believe is dead. Man, this game is doing things to you.)

(For what it's worth, this time all of Tefiren's frustration is entirely him and not me; I appear to have managed to calm down from that whole thing after a few days away from it.)

Good shot, Namo! Tefiren won't be congratulating you, so I'll do it here.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
"You can thank me,"
[[As the ground trembled from th'impact, Desper stood and turned to the 'tend to be dragon. "That I do." Sorrow still in his eyes, he returned its hat to its place and bowed. "Thank ye f'r hittin' the wicked. I 'pologize f'throwin' s'much s'picion y'r way. Ain't none o' that in m'mind now. I pray we c'n move past it."

He looked back to the grave he'd made, forlorn once more. "I coulda saved you 'f I'd just..." he kicked the dirt.]]

Uh, okay, right, translating. uh, Diyem, he says he's sorry and that he doesn't suspect you. Also, he's mad that he didn't protect Ntairow.

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
[[The small talking box was gone, perhaps the most innocuous of all those gathered here. And yet, as it turned out, she had been one of the deadliest here, sided with the mafia.

But at the same time, the powerful kwazai was also gone, struck down by those that sought to eliminate the others. One of the more powerful beings here (in his eyes, at least), gone with barely a sign of a struggle.

All these things that didn't line up in his mind... they made him uneasy.

Nip acknowledged Tefiren's anger with a grunt before turning his attention to the charizard, the one he felt was best equipped to be in charge. "So, now what? Do we wait to see if the espurr knows anything? Or does anyone else have any information they'd like to share?"

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
[[Desper rubbed his chin. "If'n th'espurr's 'round this time 'round, she mighta gotten blocked. Ntairow's been 'xonerated. We know's they gots a blocker now."]]

He's saying that since—

[["I'on't need you!" Desper shouted at th'air. "I'm easy t'understand 's a boy 'n a barnhouse."]]

Can someone vouch for me here? If you can all understand him, I'd much rather be playing Animal Crossing right now.

Top Bottom