• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[INNOCENTS WIN] First Anniversary Fanfic Mafia - Game Thread

Sike Saner

fundead
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. glalie
[[

Diyem huffed and turned his back to Desper. "For now, I grudgingly vote in favor of no jail for tonight as well. If we have ample information roles, then we must wait for them to come forward when the time is right. Even a single confirmed assailant would be useful for us. However..." He glared around. "I am not keen on keeping this passive position for long. When more information arises, and yet we do nothing, we will soon have no choice but to gamble or fall."

]]

[[It was comforting--insofar as anything could be at this point--to see something of herself reflected in another. Acknowledgement of a need for action. Reluctance to act against the others just yet--even if the motives weren't quite the same.

But Diyem's reasoning made sense, as well. And with that, the short-term course seemed clear, or at least as clear as it was going to be.

"All right," she spoke up. "I think we'd best refrain from jailing anyone, for now."]]

Again, information is our friend. And if holding off jailing for this round really does give us a better chance to get better intel, then yeah, that's probably the way to go.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
"I stand by what I said. Saying that we get no information if we refuse to eliminate anyone today is just false. We have the chance for all but one of us to go into Day 2 with two nights and one day worth of information. And as for the argument that it means we get nothing out of this day's discussion"--he glances around--"well, I think we're getting a fair amount of info just by seeing how everyone's reacting."

[[Votes ‘n ‘is favor, yet it still had ‘im mighty terse. “Guess’n’ y’all’re only listenin’ ‘cause the cuter “chu” said it,” he spat. Bunch o’ negligent, foolhardy, brim shallots. “Well, I said it ‘fore’n I’ll say it again. Let’s hold the hog-tie’ntil the sheriff’s out a bounty.” ‘N he’d bothered to fluff his fur, too.

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
[[Votes ‘n ‘is favor, yet it still had ‘im mighty terse. “Guess’n’ y’all’re only listenin’ ‘cause the cuter “chu” said it,” he spat. Bunch o’ negligent, foolhardy, brim shallots. “Well, I said it ‘fore’n I’ll say it again. Let’s hold the hog-tie’ntil the sheriff’s out a bounty.” ‘N he’d bothered to fluff his fur, too.
[[
"Can I vote for jailing him, just to shut him up? Please? Anyone?" Glancing around the group, Nip sensed that he was outnumbered. Even if he had an idea of who was guilty - which he, unfortunately, did not - too many had been convinced to abstain.

"Fine. I will trust everyone else's judgement and vote for no jaling today. Don't make me regret it."
]]
---
I'm still not totally convinced this is the best path forward, but since information is so limited at this point, and it seems to be the majority, I'll roll with it unless something major happens between now and voting closing.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
Can I vote for jailing him, just to shut him up? Please? Anyone?
"D'aww, I'm hurt," Desper wept, one paw'n his heart and the other wipin'n'nvisible tear from his eye. "'S'amatter? Bars the only way t'keep them maidens safe?" He shrugged 'n rolled his eyes. "Well, sorry to tumble that weed o' yours, but I got more'n'nough 'xperience with a bottle for that plan to work!" He cackled himself near'nto a stupor.

NonAnalogue

Losing her head
Pronouns
she/her
Code:
-- Conversation initiated with WitchesBlue [FORTUNATA, FIAMETTA] --

[WB] okay first of all
[WB] dude with the accent
[WB] cowboy dude
[WB] desper thats the name
[WB] wait
[WB] ohhh
[WB] like desperado
[WB] i get it
[WB] please tell me your last name is ado
[WB] i need this
[WB] anyway i just want you to know
[WB] your accent is almost entirely incomprehensible through speech to text
[WB] and its fuckin hilarious
[WB] like all this normal text comes through
[WB] and then you come along
[WB] and my axsis barfs up a stream of western gibberish
[WB] dont ever stop i love this
[WB] okay there was something else i needed to say too
[WB] what was it
[WB] oh right the game
[WB] looks like almost enough people have voted for not voting to force a majority
[WB] needs two more people from the looks of it
[WB] if im doin my math right
[WB] which is a very big if mind you
[WB] i was kinda on the fence anyway
[WB] but i guess ultimately its not a bad thing to scope out another night of info
[WB] thats what i was leanin towards at the beginning anyway
[WB] so i guess i vote to abstain too
[WB] wait shit
[WB] how do i bold things on this
[WB] dammit hold on
[WB] okay
[WB] i vote to abstain
Code:
[WB] cool there we go

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
Since we seem to have reached an end to the discussion and night will be starting soon, just want to throw this out there again.

[["Well, at least, if anyone has a trick that can stop someone in their tracks and make it so they can't do anything, they should use it on the same person tonight! That might have been what stopped Them last night, and we'd be able to stop Them again, easy!"]]

I know it's a slim chance that a well-aimed town-aligned roleblock is what stopped the kill last night, and maybe said hypothetical town roleblocker has already thought of this themselves and it didn't need to be said, but - please do attempt to do it again.

Persephone

Infinite Screms
Pronouns
her/hers
Partners
  1. mawile
  2. vulpix-alola
[[ Oh thank goodness. I might not have to kill anyone after all. I agree that if someone can stick their finger in the barrel of a gun and stop it from going off they should definitely stick the same finger in the same gun. Maybe it will even blow up in the mafia's face! Although I think bodyguards are more effective. One of them probably saved a soul. Not sure they should block the same person. The mafia would be expecting it and move on to someone else less likely to be shielded. ]]

No jail

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
I think what elyvorg was getting at was if someone has the ability to block their target from attacking, not someone who can protect the target from being killed.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Anyway, I can get on board with abstaining for today.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
[[[[

"I've already made my preference known, but to make it official: no jail." The Pikachu's ears drooped slightly, almost like he was expecting (and hoping) to have to fight people on this.

I know it's a slim chance that a well-aimed town-aligned roleblock is what stopped the kill last night, and maybe said hypothetical town roleblocker has already thought of this themselves and it didn't need to be said, but - please do attempt to do it again.
Chibi snapped his attention to Tefiren. He’d heard the Archopy (That’s what Dave had called him, right? Not a hybrid?) mention this before and hadn’t considered the full implications yet.

“I hadn’t thought about whether or not any of us can prevent them from making a move. I’m not sure how likely it is. But if it’s possible, that would be a huge benefit to us.”

]]

((OOC: gogo last-minute paranoid theorymongering!

Alright, to be honest, I never even considered that the roleblocker could be town. If it is, that’s a huge benefit to us and they should absolutely follow Tefiren’s advice (at the very least, it’ll make their actions more predictable when the time comes to track what happened each night, and will also make it easier to verify their story later.)

But it also made me think about one other thing: who performs the mafia kill.

Consider: the mafia have multiple members and if they believe one might be targeted for roleblock, could they decide to send another member for the kill instead? I… honestly have no clue. All the guides I’ve read seem to suggest that this is usually how it works, but the after-game discussion in the old thread seems to imply that this wasn’t the case for that mafia. I honestly wish I’d asked either Negrek or the former mafia members back then, but it’s a little late for that.

I, uh, also have no idea if players are allowed to divulge knowledge of how being mafia worked in the previous game. If they’re allowed to, that’d be super useful, but. Kinda hoping yes, not just for the advantage it would give us, but because grilling Dave on this would be hilarious.

I feel like it just makes sense that the mafia should have to pick a member to perform the kill? That’s the whole point of having specific mafia roles like strongman. Well, I just hope it's the case, anyhow.

Anyway, none of that is relevant if we don’t have a roleblocker. To be honest… I’m more concerned that the mafia might have one. That would be a huge problem, possibly even worse than them having an x-shot strongman. Either way, because of the threat the strongman and roleblocker play, we should be very careful about how and when we decide to claim. We potentially could have multiple protectors on our side, but it won’t mean much if they can’t act.))

Day 1 End

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Even without a death to investigate, tensions run high throughout the day. Professor Finnar is adamant that the only way to progress is to root out potential murderers before they can do harm, while Chibi's equally convinced that it can't be beneficial to shut away someone without at least some hint that they might be a threat. In the end only Lauchzelot is comfortable marking anyone out for confinement without clear evidence of wrongdoing, and the group retreats with nothing much concluded, forced back into their temporary dwellings by the arrival of unnatural dark. It's unlikely any will sleep well tonight, whatever nighttime errands they might have aside; in some ways, the uncertainty left by a day with no disappearances is worse than a morbid investigation would have been. What are the chances that they'll all live to see another sunrise.

No one has been jailed. Night 1 begins now and will last for 48 hours (until 6:30 PM UTC/2:30 PM EST May 8) or until all players with night actions have submitted them.

Final Vote:

10 Abstain - Equitia, Namohysip, elyvorg, Sike Saner, Tanuki, windskull, NonAnalogue, Persephone, Dragonfree, Chibi Pika

1 Chibi Pika - qva

Not Voting:
Starlight Aurate, DawningWinds, SparklingEspeon

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
I, uh, also have no idea if players are allowed to divulge knowledge of how being mafia worked in the previous game. If they’re allowed to, that’d be super useful, but. Kinda hoping yes, not just for the advantage it would give us, but because grilling Dave on this would be hilarious.
You can ask players of last year's game whatever you want about what happened there/how their roles worked, but there's no guarantee that the game setup last year is reflective of the game setup this year.

Day 2 Start

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Day returns as abruptly as ever, revealing that a few people have spent some time making improvements to their temporary shelters, some of which have actual colors, now. The human dwelling's even grown the suggestion of siding or shingles. No one here wants to think of these places as permanent, real homes for them to live in, but the thought of the alternative, that they only have a night or two before they disappear forever, is hardly more comfortable.

By unspoken mutual agreement the group gathers again in the patch of clear not-ground roughly at the center of their not-village. There's a brief panic when not one but two people are found to be missing. Thankfully, in the midst of all the commotion, Bakura remembers that no one's gone to pick up Fiametta, who can't exactly make her way out to the counsel under her own power. While he's berating the rest of the group as fools, Espurr is able to retrieve the phone with a burst of telekinesis, floating it over her head almost as though an invisible person were standing there, holding it. The text on the screen clearly shows Fiametta's irritation at having been forgotten.

That still leaves one missing, though, and it's an anxious group that makes their way over to where Chibi was sleeping. The clone pikachu's dwelling is hardly more than a scrape in the ground; he probably didn't have a very strong idea of what a home should be like that he could use to shape his environment. Here and there a spiky yellow feather remains, but other than that, nothing.

"Consarn it. Not th' little 'un," Desper mutters, tail swishing morosely.

Chibi (Chibi Pika) has been eliminated. He was Innocent. Discussion is now open for Day 2 and will continue until 6:30 PM UTC/2:30 PM EST 9:30 PM UTC/5:30 PM EST May 10.

Last edited:

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
Desper pulled his hat down over heavy eyes. T’wasn’t the early morn’ holdin’m down. In the empty nothing, two sticks and twine appeared. “Y’ain’t the first empty grave I’ve dug, boy,” he mumbled, tying the wood into a cross.

“But I’ll make sure you’s the last.” He took a feather and put it into the twine and stuck the cross into th’imitation dirt. His paw put his hat to his chest, and he bowed his head in a prayer. Though he uttern’t a word, he knew t’was heard.

His hat returned to its place. “‘T’s al’ays the yungins.” A paw rubbed his eyes and a hard expression turned to face the group. He hovered over his holster. “All right. Which o’ you’s gettin’ lead for breakfast?”

Sike Saner

fundead
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. glalie
[[ Desper's question went unnoticed by the kwazai looming over what had once, all too briefly, been Chibi's nest. Her hands tightened into fists, shaking with fury. A small target. An easy target. You filthy cowards...

Her sights turned from the makeshift grave to the rest of the gathering. One of them was responsible for this. No... more than one.

"When I find out which one of you did this..."]]

Lmao Ntairow, Chibi was NOT an easy target. Go read TLC sometime, you silly kwazai.

Anyway, pbbbbt... I guess the roleblocker, if there was one, did target the same person. And the mob picked someone else. Or maybe a roleblocker picked someone who would've protected Chibi. Or maybe everybody was just off the mark this time.

Top Bottom