• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[INNOCENTS WIN] First Anniversary Fanfic Mafia - Game Thread

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
[[Dave'd been pacing impatiently back and forth for most of the day, occasionally glancing into the sky. And yet, what he'd been waiting for showed no sign of happening. Fuck. Why did he try this bullshit. How was he even so far gone as to expect this to work, even in the fucking board game dimension.]]

Right, I'm about to do some rereading and go more carefully through the case on DawningWinds. Some quick thoughts before that, to get them out there before

- I did find at least some of the behaviour that elyvorg pointed out kind of suspect, and again, the simplest explanation for SparklingEspeon's watcher evidence is that DW just killed them - what gives me pause about that is mainly that DW's claim came long before SparklingEspeon's, so it'd have to have been constructed as potential cover in case of a watcher or tracker result. At the moment I do think there's a significant chance they are town (will revise that estimate later), but even if that's the case, a bus driver isn't really the worst role to lose, I think.
- I don't really think Tanuki has been scummy; he just reads to me like weird town. I don't think his posts seem motivated by a sensible scum agenda; he's just got a very different outlook on the game. I say this with the disclaimer that in one of the last mafia games I played I managed to spectacularly help along a mafia win by among other things hard-defending a mafia member that I'd firmly read as weird town. But I think I'm right this time. Hopefully. I definitely don't want to lynch him today at this stage; might change my mind if I were to get more information.
- NonAnalogue does strike me as playing quite differently than last game, although that might be largely roleplaying. I can just about see the potential for a world where NonAnalogue and DawningWinds are scum partners, and NonAnalogue is hoping for Tanuki to take off without wanting to seem overly defensive of DW, but I'm going to have to do the reread to fully decide if I think this is likely.

NonAnalogue

Losing her head
Pronouns
she/her
Code:
-- Conversation initiated with WitchesBlue [FORTUNATA, FIAMETTA] --

[WB] wait
[WB] some of yalls characters are birds
[WB] for the love of
[WB] i knew i shoulda played as a character
[WB] i got this really cool character thats
[WB] no hold on
[WB] gettin distracted
[WB] sorry

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
oh my god, Negrek's infected me with not finishing my sentence disease

That should have been "before I go and spend probably a ridiculously long time rereading before returning to probably find the thread on fire."

Sike Saner

fundead
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. glalie
I read back on Sike’s accidental claim, and honestly to me, I didn’t see the softclaim that prefaced the hard claim. It might just be my reading level, but what she said seemed entirely innocuous, not suggesting her role at all, until she went and claimed it.

The softclaim, as it played out:

[[ Desper's question went unnoticed by the kwazai looming over what had once, all too briefly, been Chibi's nest. Her hands tightened into fists, shaking with fury. A small target. An easy target. You filthy cowards...

Her sights turned from the makeshift grave to the rest of the gathering. One of them was responsible for this. No... more than one.

"When I find out which one of you did this..."]]

Lmao Ntairow, Chibi was NOT an easy target. Go read TLC sometime, you silly kwazai.

Anyway, pbbbbt... I guess the roleblocker, if there was one, did target the same person. And the mob picked someone else. Or maybe a roleblocker picked someone who would've protected Chibi. Or maybe everybody was just off the mark this time.

what do you mean by this? are you saying you think the mafia get to choose who carries out the nightkill?

I read this post, which was calling out the line "And the mob picked someone else." in my post, as interpreting it to mean that maybe I knew something about how the mafia operates, and I figured the only thing that implication could suggest was that I knew how they operated on account of being one of them. So I saw fit to clarify...

What I meant was simply that the mob didn't target the same person two nights in a row. In retrospect, that was not the way to have phrased it, since whether or not they picked the same person twice shouldn't have had any bearing on the roleblocker's success. My assumption that the mob picked a different target was an unrelated thought that only got connected via the "and" because my wires got crossed on the matter; see previous sentence in this paragraph.

Anyhoo, I guess I just accidentally kind of softclaimed, whoops. At the very least, I might as well make it clear enough that I have ways of knowing that the mafia probably targeted two different people on nights 0 and 1, and the possiblity I raised that the roleblocker (or a switcher, come to think of it?) maybe targeted someone they shouldn't have ties into that.

I guess that in a way, I was projecting when I thought that saying that I knew that the mafia didn't target the same person twice in a row, while also vaguely implying that I'm not mafia (if moving to clarify a response that only MIGHT be interpreted as insinuating I could be mafia in the first place can count at all as implying my own innocence), only left the possibility that I was a doctor who protected Espurr night 0. In other words, I guess I was unconsciously assuming that people had knowledge that only I could have. So in retrospect, yeah, this really doesn't look like a softclaim at all.

I guess it comes down to whether or not you feel confident applying Gray's law here. Whether you believe I bumbled my way into a legit claim or not, that's up to your personal judgment. I don't have any other potential means to defend myself at this point, so. Do what you will, I guess.

“Now, I hate lookin’ at someone who’s tryin’ t’save lives like this, but y’r “accidental” claim ain’t sittin’ right wit’ me, more that I think on it. What you said at the time didn’t suggest much, but you hopped on ‘at saddle quicker’n a shepherd goes for a m’reep.

“I ‘on’t like thinkin’ it, but ‘tis poss’ble ‘Fesser’s clean, ‘n’ y’r muddy. It’d ‘splain why you wasn’t where y’said you was.”]]

[[Ntairow gave an exasperated sigh. "Yes, it would. It's not the only thing that would, though, and I do hope you keep that in mind. But I can see where you'd arrive at a conclusion that reflects poorly on me, and I know I can't--and wouldn't--try to force you into arriving at any other."]]

What she probably couldn't see, if she were properly aware of it, is how anyone could arrive at her being a bird. :B

kyeugh

you gotta feel your lines
Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
- NonAnalogue does strike me as playing quite differently than last game, although that might be largely roleplaying. I can just about see the potential for a world where NonAnalogue and DawningWinds are scum partners, and NonAnalogue is hoping for Tanuki to take off without wanting to seem overly defensive of DW, but I'm going to have to do the reread to fully decide if I think this is likely.
i can definitely also see this. not sure if it's the case but it's the main thing informing my vote on her right now.

Sike Saner

fundead
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. glalie
Just realized that the way I phrased the last post sort of suggested that I was offering up the first thing I quoted as the softclaim. It's not, for the record. The third thing I quoted, wherein I'm responding to qva, was (though, again, it really does kind of fail as one from any perspective other than my own). I only included the first quote because it was the thing qva was responding to. In hindsight I guess including it was kind of redundant since one can just click on the little arrow on the quote and see what qva was quoting. :V

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
[[Desper looked at the kwazai up, down, left’n sideways. “Well, ‘pologies for misunderstandin’, but, I ain’t seen a thing like you’n m’life.”]]

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
Please don't set the thread on fire at the last minute. My internet is so bad it takes minutes to load a page and I don't want to miss it again :(

Speaking of, I should really vote in case I'm unable to later.

My main scumreads haven't changed much. Tanuki still confuses me. In particular, something he's done recently:

Sike: 2/10
Her roleclaim was so accidental it hurts. She reads town.
I read back on Sike’s accidental claim, and honestly to me, I didn’t see the softclaim that prefaced the hard claim.

???

I was leaning Tanuki when I realized something. Others have pointed out why it may not necessarily be the case, but I still like my "if DawningWind's mafia they're a mafia bus driver" theory. And if DW's a mafia bus driver, and if Namo's the vigilante... DW could potentially really, really muck up anything Namo tries to do tonight.

So, even though I'm not certain, right now I think my safest bet is to:

[[
The day was drawing to a close, and Jen still had no idea what to do. And he had to do something. Things wouldn't be over until the townies routed out the mafia or the mafia disappeared all of the townies. And Jen knew which option he would rather have happen.

So, decide. There were still mafia, or else everyone would be back where they had come from. (Probably.) Find one. There was Raichu... Jen honestly couldn't understand a word the Pokemon said, but from how the others reacted to him all Raichu basically did was be weird and confusing. At best a distraction.

There was also Finnar. Grovyle (or whatever species he was) had accused her with such certainty. Jen wasn't sure whether he agreed with the Pokemon or not. Sure, she didn't express much remorse when she swapped one innocent with another, but what would apologizing have done? It's not like she could have changed things. The worse part about it was that she claimed to have thought Sirfetch'd would be targeted so she swapped him with Pikachu, who seemed more innocent to Jen than Sirfetch'd had the first day. And obviously Jen had been right.

Screw it, if Finnar wanted to be jailed so much --

"I vote Finnar," Jen said.
]]

Meh, still not certain. I hope this turns out well.

Sike Saner

fundead
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. glalie
I didn't find what Tanuki did there confusing. Rereading something to be certain of it and changing or questioning your own stance when it strikes you differently the second time around seems reasonable, responsible even. Beats stubbornly rejecting new potential evidence just so you don't have to change your mind

(Which I don't think anyone is doing, incidentally. If they are stubbornly rejecting new evidence, it's escaping my notice. I'm just applauding being willing to incorporate new ideas on principle.)

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Note, the following stemmed from a small (not-gameplay-related) discussion on the discord. For those of you who are familiar with round 1 of this thing a year ago, this will seem familiar... And apparently my doubts about the gimmick were unfounded, because people enjoyed it after all! So if any of you are disoriented by the split of rp and non-rp, this might help bridge the gap in terms of making it more cohesive. Feel free to piggyback off of this, since it seems voting has been decided at this point.

[[

"...Hold." Diyem said, raising a hand to address the others. "...I would like everyone to hold. I've finally noticed something, and I do not know if anybody else has." He pointed at Ntairow, and then at Jen. "We have been spending all our time staring at our feet or at the sky contemplating that we barely looked at one another. Yet I so frequently do, and I noticed something. Particularly with that one." He pointed at Tefiren. "And this one." He pointed at Desper.

"Sometimes you're speaking without the words following from your mouth. The voices seem... different. Has anybody else noticed this? Or am I losing my mind again?"

]]

Oh good, he's noticing.

[[

Diyem shot his gaze upward, glaring. "...And you as well." His growl deepened, but then he snorted and looked ahead. "We all have these. Some more talkative than others. ...Is this where I've been hearing so much chatter despite so many of us contemplating?"

]]

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
[["Yes! Yes. It's the fucking board game gods that trapped us here so we can play a party game for them. Congratulations, you noticed."]]

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
[[“You been on the grass, Scales?” Desper asked. “The hell’s you talkin’ ‘bout?”]]

Oh thank God they’re noticing. They told me not to be noticed. I hope this gets me fired.

NonAnalogue

Losing her head
Pronouns
she/her
Code:
-- Conversation initiated with WitchesBlue [FORTUNATA, FIAMETTA] --

[WB] uhhhhh
[WB] what in the actual fuck are yall talkin about

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
I didn't find what Tanuki did there confusing. Rereading something to be certain of it and changing or questioning your own stance when it strikes you differently the second time around seems reasonable, responsible even. Beats stubbornly rejecting new potential evidence just so you don't have to change your mind

Eh, I can agree that changing your mind is fine but he's also kind of done this on you before. Before he said about you "if you are a healer" in an accusing way (internet too bad to find exact post, sorry) and then he said that was a misphrasing on his. Odd mistake, but I could believe it. But then he appears to flip-flop again?

I don't know. He seems way too all-over-the-place and I just don't know what to make of him.

(Unrelated but I wish my internet were good enough I could roleplay this new development properly)

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
[[Tefiren was drawn out of his afternoon-long sulk just a little as the fiery one pointed at him and accused him of... speaking in a voice that wasn't his? No, never mind; that wasn't worth speaking up, let alone leaving his tree about. He wasn't being accused of being one of Them or being wrong about his definitely-right theory, or anything else that might have made sense or mattered.

Everything he'd said today, and the other days for that matter, had all been things he'd figured out all by himself. Even the bit last night, with him being suddenly sure the blue one was innocent, and going for the yellow-haired Human instead - that'd just been because he was so good at this game, so good at sniffing out Them. Obviously. Even if none of the other stupid people here could see it.
]]

(Nope, sorry, Tefiren is the poster Archopy for refusing to acknowledge things he doesn't want to think about; you're going to have to try harder than that to get him to notice me. =P I could probably wave my metaphysical hand in front of his face and he wouldn't even blink. I appreciate the attempt, though! Maybe this will go somewhere eventually.)

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
[["Yes! Yes. It's the fucking board game gods that trapped us here so we can play a party game for them. Congratulations, you noticed."]]
[["Board game gods? I suppose they're part of a form of religion in your world?" There were plenty of other, more logical explanations for the strange voices making suggestions. Such as recordings, psychic-type Pokémon who made a habit out of messing with people's minds, hallucinations, or maybe this entire game was a dream and none of the others existed. But gods? Sure, she'd met her share of semi-immortal Pokémon that were stronger than most others, but she wouldn't call them deities.]]

Top Bottom