• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Inner Focus Training Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Something reached inside of her, cold and then hot. And then, a strange, abrupt stop, everything suspended.

Taylor shuffled frantically back from the advancing Tyranitar, eyes wide, falling over pathetically, and she grinned: look at this idiot, not so cocky now. Letting Tyranitar toy with him a little seemed only fair, right? Only fair after that ridiculous farce of a finals match, Tyranitar getting thrown around helplessly by a psychic who shouldn't have been able to hurt him at all.

Get him off me! came the boy's panicked yells, and May wanted to tell him no. To just savour the moment of watching him be scared, helpless, begging, at her mercy, while she alone had the power to stop it.

But she told Tyranitar to come back anyway. And then he didn't.

The strange, surreal, uncomprehending moment of that power slipping away into something beyond her control. Probably she could have just raised her voice, told him again to come back. He would've listened if he'd thought she meant it. But she didn't know what was happening. She reached for his ball and her fingers fumbled and by the time she had a grip on it Tyranitar'd put his foot through his ribs.

Taylor's mouth moving limply in a last helpless croak before the light went out in his eyes, horrid glassy stare burned into her mind. Waking up over and over to that stare with her heart racing sickeningly in her chest. Blood creeping outward in a puddle that felt like it'd swallow everything, jutting ends of ribs and Tyranitar's foot covered with nauseating gore as he ran off, wailing for her.

He'd just wanted to please her. And she'd been pleased.

She was kneeling when she became aware of herself, sweaty hands clutching Spirit's mane. The Ninetales was curled protectively around her, enveloping her with her tails, pressing her forehead into her neck. Somewhere behind it all was a strange detached awareness of what had happened to Odette, an unsettling grin and blurry silhouettes and an unnatural rage.

Self-defense, while possessed by a demon legendary. Should've guessed. Had she seen everything, too? May didn't have the energy in her body to even look up, arms trembling. She pressed her face into Spirit's damp fur and waited for it to pass. Shouldn't have come in here in the first place. Maybe when she looked up Odette would be gone.

"Are you okay?" she asked the girl.
A jolt went through her at the sound of her voice, enough to look up and break away from Spirit. "I'm fine," she said through clenched teeth, without looking Odette in the eye. Her heart hammered thunderingly in her chest.

Marshadow, at least, looked thrilled about the whole thing, topped with crackling green fire. A new gem attached to Spirit's necklace. Its help had better be worth all this.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Marshadow remained silent for a time, simply watching. These humans carried a deep pain. He felt a lingering piece of it, even now. It was an alien sensation, such a human thing, lingering on the tragedy of the past. And now something he carried.

"it is fine not to be fine." The words felt strange to say. Human concerns were rarely his own. But he'd caused this pain. "i am sorry."

After a moment, he added, "humans often share their burdens to ease their pain. perhaps you can ease yours by sharing." His form wavered slightly, as if he were uncertain of sharing his advice.

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
"it is fine not to be fine." The words felt strange to say. Human concerns were rarely his own. But he'd caused this pain. "i am sorry."
Odette Tearing Up.PNG
It's fine not to be fine.

Suddenly she felt like she was back in therapy for a moment. They'd said things like that before. It's okay to feel the way you feel, you went through something nobody should ever have to, you don't have to always act like you're fine...

She sniffled and wiped her eye, still knowing it wasn't going to do anything to stop the tears. "It's okay," she muttered. "You warned us and we agreed." She thumbed her damp nose. "Just don't let it all be in vain, please."

After a moment, he added, "humans often share their burdens to ease their pain. perhaps you can ease yours by sharing." His form wavered slightly, as if he were uncertain of sharing his advice.
She considered it for a second, before forcing a slight chuckle to herself. Of course Marshadow meant well, but talking about her assault with a kid who looked no older than 13 not only didn't interest her in the slightest, but would probably be deemed weird and even irresponsible. And that was such a heavy topic in general; who would she want to burden with that?

In general, why would she even want these people who she'd only known a week to know that had happened to her? Even the ones she'd grown closer to, like Kimiko or Wes or Steven or Gladion or Laura? She didn't need any more pitiful eyes, or the occasional looks of sheer anger. While the latter often made her feel better for a moment, they were inherently rooted in pity. Even the words that usually followed, meant to be apologetic or even empowering? Also full of pity. Gods, I'm so sorry that happened to you. He got what he deserved. You didn't do anything wrong. You're so strong, and I'm glad--

Shuddering, she brushed off her knees. Now she was going down some mental buneary hole she needn't have bothered with when she was already swimming in misery.

"Sometimes," she sniffled. "Depends on the person."

Tapping both Odile and Enora once, they both moved aside to allow her to stand. She was wobbly in her step, all while the weight deflated from her head and left her feeling like she would fall back over. She really needed to get it together if she was going to help with this big espionage mission. She couldn't be there involuntarily crying and on the verge of fainting like this. Unfortunately, this was something she was going to have to wait out.

"I am sorry that happened. To you and your 'mon. I think it was your 'mon," she said. She spoke as evenly as she could manage, keeping as much of a logical sounding tone as she could. If this girl was anything like her, she wouldn't want the pity either. Plus, as the adult in the room, at least Odette could try to be comforting. Key word 'try,' as much as she probably shouldn't. But she couldn't just sit there in the awkward ghostly silence.

"Gods, I don't even know your names," she rasped, pushing her bangs out of her face for a moment. She let them drop as she sighed.

"You should probably get some rest for now. So we have the energy for later."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"I am sorry that happened. To you and your 'mon. I think it was your 'mon," she said. She spoke as evenly as she could manage, keeping as much of a logical sounding tone as she could. If this girl was anything like her, she wouldn't want the pity either. Plus, as the adult in the room, at least Odette could try to be comforting. Key word 'try,' as much as she probably shouldn't. But she couldn't just sit there in the awkward ghostly silence.

"Gods, I don't even know your names," she rasped, pushing her bangs out of her face for a moment. She let them drop as she sighed.

"You should probably get some rest for now. So we have the energy for later."
What the hell did she mean, I'm sorry that happened to you and your mon? As if it was a thing that had happened to them? She'd probably seen something garbled, more blurry silhouettes. Assumed it was something other than what it was, because why the hell would May be here otherwise?

The knot in her stomach didn't loosen any at that.

May pushed herself to her feet, tried to stop her legs shaking. "May," she said. "This is Spirit."

Spirit looked up at Odette. "I'm sorry for what happened to you," she murmured. May's hand tightened in her mane.

"We did what we came for," she said. "Let's go."

Marshadow stood awkwardly in the corner, talking about sharing. May didn't acknowledge it.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Marshadow let his power flare for a moment, his helm crackling with energy. "This will be worth it," he said. It was, perhaps, the best comfort he could give for now. He wished he could say more. But perhaps words from him could not lift the weight they believed they carried. The stain they were certain marred them - oh. Maybe there was a final comfort.

"Your auras are bright still. Though death has touched them, they are not twisted. They are not the auras of life-takers."

And then Marshadow's body faded, though a presence still seemed to linger in the room. This time, a sort of warmth seemed to wrap around the group of them, as if Marshadow were perhaps trying to offer a comfort.

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
"This will be worth it," he said.
Odette Tearing Up.PNG
Odette had no real reason to not believe him. If that short display was anything, then surely it had some power on hand. She would have to take his word for it and just try to nurse herself back to a semi-decent state of mind on that alone.

"Your auras are bright still. Though death has touched them, they are not twisted. They are not the auras of life-takers."

And then Marshadow's body faded, though a presence still seemed to linger in the room. This time, a sort of warmth seemed to wrap around the group of them, as if Marshadow were perhaps trying to offer a comfort.
Maybe it was the bias of ghost types, or it was because she desperately needed to hear it from somebody who would know, but those words were oddly comforting. Not enough to stop the tears, or to make her less exhausted, but enough to at least somewhat pull her from the melancholy. The warmth was helpful too. People could say what they wanted about ghost types, but they had the capacity to be so gentle when they needed to be.

She wasn't a murderer. Every time she'd taken a life, it was to save her own. That was certain, and she'd need to keep remembering that.

"One last thing," she said through another sniffle. "Just out of curiosity...what are your thoughts on Orzo? Or Clink? If you even know either of them personally?" She paused, wondering for a beat if she should even ask the next part.

"Have you ever been inside Xavian's room?"

When she got her answer, she nodded once in thanks before wordlessly trekking out of the arena, Enora in step close to her side, and Odile walking just close enough to intertwine her fingers with hers.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
"One last thing," she said through another sniffle. "Just out of curiosity...what are your thoughts on Orzo? Or Clink? If you even know either of them personally?" She paused, wondering for a beat if she should even ask the next part.

"Have you ever been inside Xavian's room?"

"Clink is good. And i am glad to hear Shaymin could help them. Orzo is... hard. I have met them a few times. I cannot read them very well. I think they are nice." A hesitation. Consideration. "but nice is not always good. I am unsure, though it is hard to imagine a mythical having ill will. We are meant to be guardians. Protectors..."

At Odette's next question, a sort of faint buzz filled the air, as if the thought upset Marshadow. "I would not use my powers to intrude upon Xavian or Clink in such a manner."

Marshadow melted fully into the shadows as the two trainers departed. A faint voice, carried like a whisper on the wind, followed them. "Goodbye."

After they left, they would find that if they tried to return to the eerily plain battlefield, it was simply... gone. There was no door, no sign of there ever being such a spot...

<><><><>​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom