• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

"I'll get around to it" Idea Thread.

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
Recently found notes for a weird, and I mean weird human-centric mon fic...

The pokemon were all endangered, except for common mon because somehow, someway, in the past either with the blessings of science so advanced we can't comprehend it, or a miracle, people managed to empty out their chakras, leaving a skein/web that kept them functional, but in the empty "slots" other life could be absorbed, and since 'mon were already physically designed to be compacted "pokeballs" ect people found that in the right circumstances they could absorb 'mon and gain supernatural abilities for it.

It went about as well as could be expected, wars, social upheaval, all for someone trying to give humanity an immortality ticket that went badly. Come centuries later and society's been up-ended, then reformed back into something mirroring the "good old days/present" but with some really jarring differences.

People until they absorb their first 'mon have to deal with an EMPTINESS in their spiritual centers. This makes them suseptable to illness, physical and mental, and is treated almost as soon as a child is born by passing (tossing on them) the newborn a common 'mon.

This fills their first slot, bypasses most of the ill effects of EMPTINESS, and has produced a society where eighty percent of people are melded to rattata and pidgy newborns.

Why is the 'mon so young? It's best to have something without much personality/needs so the child doesn't get overwhelmed. Studies have shown that a newborn who melds to an adult 'mon can be overwhelmed by the creature's personality, as the 'mon is its own being with its own personal needs/personality/lives, this can overlap with the absorbing human's own and lead to madness.

so, eighty percent of the world never have to deal with their EMPTINESS, and most of the effects of the melding lead to them getting fluffs of feather around their ears, necks when startled, maybe cooing when happy, it's very superficial from childhood to adolescence, come fifteen, the 'mon either "wakes up" and the person has to start dealing with worse impulses/trades off with abilities, a lucky few can fly but have to wrangle with Pidgeot level predatory urges and their diets can change. Those "blessed" with abilities are driven to fight, train, and force their 'mon to evolve, granting them more and more power. It's a compulsive obsession that only tapers off when the 'mon hitching a ride in them is evolved and either murges personality with the host "a second sleep" it's commonly called, or if their "host" is heavily medicated. Also medicating someone until x amount of time passes doesn't work, and violence is required.

"carriers" are cursed with more fragile psyches and can turn feral, supposedly turning 100% to whatever their carrier is, but that's only when the human psyche is utterly lost.

But then imagine literally waking up sometimes around fifteen to having urges that aren't yours, and a voice in your head... not everyone can cope with it.

suffice to say mental health is handled very differently in this place.

For everyone else the 'mon "stays asleep" and nothing else seems to happen to their carriers except the occasional molt and itch for bird seed.

At this point, a child is considered stable, an adult in training, and encouraged to Journey to find themselves.

There's even a league, two leagues actually. The first one is familiar, people get a starter, get sent out, and rustle in the tall grass-catching things, this is considered safe at this point because for most the EMPTINESS is resolved, and it's TIGHTLY controlled since even common 'mon are rarer than rare. However, if you catch something powerful, evolved, and bring it back to society, there's a killer market for breeding. For example, a full-grown Persian of breeding age, with a mate, could raise someone out of the poverty line, and into the comfy middle or upper class, easily. Rarer 'mon are supposedly sighted, but not susceptible to present capturing tech so bringing anything from say... the Raichu line or the Evee line is going to be an act suitable to make someone a legend (and also going to take a lot of bribes, fast-talking, etcetera, because if a 'mon suffers too much or is coerced they can kill themselves vai stress or what's called "Aura imbalances" certain speiceis cant' even exist in cities at all (most grass types, or fairy types for example).

Under the table, theirs a second league, one where those who have "awake" 'mon go out to test their abilities to the maximum. You can't enter unless your "starter" is fully evolved and you pass a psych evaluation, but it's very much a case of looking the other way, on the official paperwork it looks exactly like a regular "journey" they may even have a mon and everything. There are "gyms" for this process, their leaders aren't openly acknowledged, but exist as part to test, and cull, those going mad or willing to do harm to others. Gym leaders have the obligation to "put down" any up-and-coming dangers to society while living luxuriously on the government's dime. You're also, legally, allowed to absorb more than one 'mon, though after each you have to have a competence hearing, a psych evaluation, and pain tolerance tests (no one wants someone to spit fire when they stub their toe after all), and blood work to make sure you aren't harboring any ill effects that will make others ill (a common concern of poison type "carriers").

Not everyone's on board with this world order, however.

The rich and famous have their children melded to more powerful infant 'mon to give them an edge. Accidents/mutations can occur, and there is even a chunk of the population who can't absorb a starter and are just "regular" humans (this is treated as a disability with all the attendant stigmas). Some allow their children to be raised with 'mon(a real dated holdback, near archaic) using modern tech to keep their offspring from "absorbing" the family pet. None absorbed 'mon who can tolerate human society/cities are able to exist as second-class citizens. (no voting, can work, limited rights but some protections)

There are old "hold over" families that refuse to allow their children's charkas to have any 'mon in them, thinking it's letting evil in.

There are others who hold onto the belief that their kids should be allowed to choose whether or not if they want to have something melded to them. And that the "mental illness" is society dumping on the kids and families that are resistant to the majority rules philosophies.

And there are families, secluded either by wealth or geology, that have traditions of binding their families to a specific breed of 'mon that isn't socially acceptable (anyone with a cat 'mon is going to raise eyebrows and get mobbed on, a lot because anyone with even a sleeping "pidge" is going to find something instinctually wrong with that person)

Then their an underground criminal element, allowing others to "bond" with dangerous fully evolved 'mon to do crimes, commit murders, sabotage, ecetera. They promise to have ways to expel the new attachment, risk-free, and thus loan out abilities/powers to the highest bidder and aren't above tempting those on a "special journey" to cheat for a slice of the winnings. They also have a tight fist on the human experimentation market, trying to improve, enhance, or alter people and 'mon to make both, and thus themselves later down the line, more powerful. They dip into terrorism, and run things under the table, though most people don't know anything about this organization called "Rocket".

Some of their tech has leaked out, emergency "'mon" extraction, for example, and it's being used in the medical community for those developing mental imbalances but hasn't done enough to warrant being "put down". Their attempting to fine-tune it so that it's not fifty percent lethal to the participant, it can be done involuntarily, and as an attempt to stop the old "culling" system used by the underground league.

As to why I hinged this system on charkas...

There are seven of them, one to hold the whole human soul, six other slots for the traditional "carryable" team.

And that's just the world-building, I've already pages on the cast and snippets that I will release as one-shots for this verse (once I think of a title) once some of my more present obligations are done..

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
One day:

If Ingo or the PC can get yeeted to ancient Sinnoh/Hisui, what about a fic where N gets sent to ancient Hisui? I just think between N's views and the world setting, there's so much conflict to explore.

How does N feel about the current relationship to people and pokemon?

How does he feel about the idea of seeing the origin of pokemon training?

What about the ways the village people have begun to befriend and work alongside pokemon?

What about someone else using the power of a legendary pokemon to alter reality?

In what ways would he try to change the world, or perhaps even halt the progress of pokemon training? I could see a version where N perhaps tries to interfere, stopping training from really starting off, or perhaps he somehow tries to change the path.

Of course, so much of this rests on from when N is pulled from but it sure would be something!

Or even what if there was an AU where a broken version of reality is created because N succeeded? Imagine reading a Hisui fic with N only for a reveal later into the story that its not the past, its current day and the world regressed because people and Pokémon were separated?
(It doesn't have to take this route of course, that's just one direction I might go)

SO MUCH POTENTIAL

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
I’ve had a random thought a few days ago while reading through the page about Pokémon villains, and I was particularly intrigued by Cyrus’ backstory. Something I’ve learned was that what happened to him is a reference to some behavior which can be found in Japanese families, about people’s interferences for the sake of other families’ children being frowned upon at best.

So, I was thinking about a story from the POV of Cyrus which starts with a regular child-like but somewhat timid vibe, and that it devolve into a more cold and methodical narrative as he grows up and represses his own emotions.

It’s just a pity that I didn’t get this idea a month ago… :rip:

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
I got bit by a stream of wild plot bunnies and none of them related to my present stories...

If you tip your head in a westerly direction you can hear the screams...

I think my next year's resolution is going to be about focus... finding some, and maybe using some...

Anyway here are the snippets I sketched up for a weird LOZ Au inspired off of the "linked worlds" idea that's been kicking around.

So what if instead of the main links being jumbled together in a slipshod quest across their worlds why not have the cast of "Ages of Calamity" get bundled together and tossed into other links worlds. Obviously, it's AU. And though they're all corny as heck I couldn't resist the sheer pandemonium of chasing that idea around a little.

So here's the cast:
Yiga blade master, Kogha
Gerudo Champian Urbosa
Goron Champian: Daruk
Rito Champian: Revali
Zora Champian: Mipha
Zelda
Link

Now here's the world they're getting dropped in and their details/plot snippets.

Skyloft: cast: Khoga/Daruk (kinda pair the spares sort of thing)
Ideas:

kinetic travel is used for daruk. They can't go up to the world above, no birds, Daruk's stone, and Kohga is scared of heights in my headcanon, so birds are a nope. So stasis is used, or rather Kohga stasis' a balled up Daruk and "pings" them between the regions. He's got a saddle for the Goron and everything.

They both mutually hate each other and occasionally Kohga will "accidentally" forget to trigger stasis before he starts with the whaling. Both their motives are "we gotta get back" .

Sky Link is poking around right after Zelda's kidnapping. Both groups run into each other and Kohga, out of pity helps, Daruk out of gratitude towards his Link, though Sky Link wanders in on them when they're talking about "foreing" out of the region and totally misunderstands.

Also, Kohga is easily distracted by fruit, especially bananas, Daruk refers to Kohga as a crazed fruit keese. Daruk is "that old pile of rocks".

Sky Link wonders if they aren't married but is too polite to ask out right...

Their initial encounter has Link wandering into a rather tame argument that he steps in to "protect" the helpless costumed old guy from the rock monster, Kohga won't let anyone live that down, ever. when they split up their grumbling triggers a few false alarms for poor Link as both are very vocal and the world below is rather quiet as a rule of thumb and sound carries here.

Dynamics:
Link is a laid-back do-gooder, with bouts of asthma. Baseline is sweet/straightforward. Daruk's boisterous bruiser, and the Yiga a snarky flaming villain with no filter. (Stooga normally claps a hand over his "bosses" mouth during those times.)

Misc plot notes:

Koh' is disgusted by Demise's footie monster form and makes many age-inappropriate hints after seeing it. Is scathing towards impa, old lady form and otherwise, and gets punched by Groose for it.
"Deserved that"
Daruk's main line "I'm sorry he's always like this."
Koh' demands payment in bananas, and is enthralled by Kukis.
Daruk is shocked by the mole people, "Mole monsters in the closet were an old horror story and I didn't know they were real..."
Dar' tries flying, once. and only once.
Everyone agrees, never again.

Twilight notes:

the terrain is landlocked, twilight areas transform all who go through it into spirit animals.
Character notes:

Urbosa: Gerudo territory centric
Impa: Shiek village centric

(set in late game?/post mastersword retreval)

Windwaker notes:
Terrane is an ocean for like ninety percent of the overworld. KORL personality conflict?

introduction:
Story starts with Link's discovery, with him being tossed out of Forsaken for the first time.
the Age cast catch Link before the KORL. drop him off at "star island" . Revali harasses persuing u-boats. They get the heck out of dodge dragging the kid between them. Mipha sneaks back after dark, loots ships, and finds a partial map. Link is able to read the "modern" language if badly.

Dialogue scene:
"where are.. well people on this thing?"
(map is about ninety percent water so it's a legit question)
"Well, I don't know where there are bird and fish people..."
(is corrected)
"But I know where people people are? Sturgeon, my teacher at home said there's a uni-inves-city at great fish. Windfalls for merchants, and Outset's home....
"how about the castle, royalty?"
Link tips head... "What are those?"

MISC:
Age cast, base reaction: WTH are we?
Links base reaction: what are these things...

Links main motivation: I'm here to save my sister.

Revali kneejerk impulse: It's so small (link) externally manages to keep his cool though his neck feathers fluff occasionally when the internal
squee gets too loud.

Mipha: He reminds me of Sidon.
Revali: He's nothing like Sidon. Your ankle biter for a brother left me needing stitches.
Mipha: huffy. He's sweet like him.
Revali: well don't start building a nest here or something...

Reactions to Links back story:
Link: But we could rescue her now!
Rev: and how many kids are there? because between me and Mipha we can carry like two things your size if they don't fight back. And we're so far from somewhere safe from what you saw on the map... We need something to carry everyone safely, once we get that then we can rescue everyone.
Mipha: A boat, a ship, once we have those we can safely get everyone home.
Link: you'd help me get that?
Rev: rescuing damsels is what champions do best. If we pull this off, well I know a rather feather-brained champian who can't even save one lady instead of several, small, nestling ladies... We'll break a record doing this! Prove our superiority...
Mipha: (claps a fin over Rev's beak) While we're here we'll do what we can.

Rito flight notes:
WW rito are transformed by a scale of valoo. this causes them to become lighter arms shift from mundane looking with a feathered sleeve to proper wing forum. Flight requires frantic wing beats to maintain. Gliding for short bursts then flapping to make up lost altitude. Once the quest for a scale is complete the scale triggers a Rito to molt, making them grow in their sleeves and shift at near will so long as the scale is touching thier skin.

AGE rito flight is innate. Rito can go from running to gliding with barely a jog and hop Thermals are used to rise and there's no transformation as their arms are wings. Specific minute motions with feathers can summon small gales for them to "hop" up on Revali has expanded onto this to make a personal Gale. No token or alliance is required for this trick and all are taught these tricks so they can fly with the most ease..

Special transport notes:
Link travels between Mipha and Revali, and uses his telescope to scope out islands/sharks/trouble. Link is expressive, exuberant, and charms "Mr. Revali" and "Ms. Mipha" initially with his manners and general sweetness. When traveling Link "takes care" of Mipha's spear, passing it down when they encounter trouble. He tries to handle Revali's bow, it goes badly. Eventually, the two train him to take care of himself, vai bow and arrow and spear weapons lessonsm but htis happens later in the tale...

More pending but that's going to be posted on the story/site when I get around to making it on ao3

myuma

I still think about y%#'()_*{\\"'&36)%("'$&''&(15y
Pronouns
she/her
anything to do with Pokémon tbh. I don't care enough about the concepts in it rn to come up with something, as much as I'd really like to because it's the one fan culture I'm properly involved in

Fire Emblem on the other hand...

Top Bottom