• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Non-Pokémon If you give a cloak a cookie

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
Summary:

Set pre-Civil War, where “underoos” is barely starting out… learning how to swing and getting his toes wet, the multiverse, and even his Stark apprenticeship are on the distant horizon. So for now, it’s a tale about a boy, a purloined cloak, and an endless argument about tide versus downy.

Ranked Teen for occasional swears and rabid bouts of geeking out.

No content warnings yet.

a/n: A new intro chapter for the forum!

If you give a Cloak a cookie… it may follow you home, billowing and flapping to show off its newest grease stain and crumbs. There might have been some accusation to the motions. Maybe. Possibly. The smack atop the head definitely hadn't been friendly and the rat tailing after had been more than a mite mean.

Not fluent in “cloak” the starting spider hero wasn’t one hundred percent sure what it wanted or why it followed him home, or lead him to the complex's laundry ro-

Oh, well once the communal tide was wheeled down, Peter got the message. Sorry, he left his copy of "cloak for dummies" at school.

That line got him a head twack from a fancy do-dad on the Cloak's collar, sheesh tough crowd, he'd just have to do better next time.

So he'd bribed the cloak with the promise of extra detergent for it to stay folded, and right there, and hustled home. Shucking off his hero suit and snapping a few other red things, he got a load going. And the washing room was cramped and noisy, with only the rattle of the washer's drum and sloshing water and... taps from within as something tried to drum out a melody while being tossed around within.

"Sorry don't know it."

Silence then, save the drum and the hum of a fluorescent light.

While the Cloak was washed Peter's brain was looping over the insanity of where the cookie, that he'd given the thing to say "sorry for accidentally webbing you", went.

Oh, it wasn't a real mystery, he'd seen the whole thing go down. Hence the looping and whatnot. But his apology gift for their crash hello had not been eaten, munched, or even ground up and scattered. No no no, that'd be too tame.

The red fabric had CONSUMED its peace offering.

And the CONSUMPTION had been a horrifying melding of “right back at ya’s” waddle dee scene, with the sound effects courtesy of a b horror flick that’d taken its sound bites off of a butcher room floor.

So suffice to say Peter needed a minute, and looking at the timer on the machine figured he had thirty of them to go, so great. Yay.

He head desked the nearest wall, gently not wanting to get stuck again, and groaned. How was this his life?

He'd wanted to go out and help the little guy. Do those good things that everyone, even the best of the best heroes, kinda forgot in their bigness to do. Recusing cats, webbing up guns so people wouldn't get shot, stopping muggers, webbing guns, walking little old ladies,, returning bikes, and webbing up more guns... You know the small but important stuff like awesome guys like Iron Man and Captain America couldn't.

Magic outerwear was not in the bargain.

The "walk back home" had been rather embarrassing. He'd scrambled up a wall, sideways, skittering away, eyes wide, his fast streamed babbling of "wow look at the time" had been taken as an invitation to follow. Peter could still sorta hear the screaming as the last crumbs were dissolving into a seam, and the baffled fabric floated and flaunted its stains in equal measure until Peter'd just... given up anything like tact.

"I should go home, you should too, bye!" hadn't been smooth. But it'd been to the point. Peter swung off into the sunset, to get a start on homework and other sane things, wanting to leave insane outwear behind.

Except flying cloaks could fly, go figure, and this one twisted itself into a question mark, without a dot on the bottom, whenever Peter swung to a stop to get his bearings. And Peter tried to lose it, really tried, really hard, swinging through construction and side alleys, and no luck. He'd come home winded and aching with the red cloth trailing after him and that had been that.

Still… Peter might not get... Cloak talk, its language of wrinkles and flapping, but the question mark had been easy peasy. It'd been asking a question.

And not being able to ask a question, one that Peter knew the answer to, that pushed a button deep in Peter's soul. It was that irrelevant fanboy button that lay deep within Peter’s very psyche. Nearly as ingrained as his altruism, because he'd babbled out the references on his first attempt out. Spoken the very mainstream and perfectly understandable comment about "wow that's a nice real-life reinterpretation of the waddle dee scene," and it had skated right over the thread count of his... cloth companion.

And that, that was not ok.

Legend spoke, of the almighty fanboy button hat when pressed the wise quaked, and found other greener pastures to be at. Cloak didn't have a clue, didn't hear a thing. But Peter's sharing trait had kicked in hard, and Nerd Herd did not leave nerds out in the cold about references. No matter how Grimdark.

So, coming and going, coming back with detergent, because no one left that in stock in this laundry room, and with his cell phone, because May wasn't due back until stupid late so he could slack a little, Peter tapped the glass.

He tapped "shave and a haircut", old enough it might be recognized, and deliberate so that Cloak had a clue that this wasn't an accident. A spot of red, a flap or fold, rapped back. An echo of the tune and Peter tipped his phone down so the fabric could see hopefully around the suds.

"Hey, do you know what a waddle dee is? Tap one for yes and two for no."

And that was a nope. Well, there were ways to fix that. Peter popped open his account and hunted up the relevant scene, and tipped the phone so hopefully, the red thing inside could see.

"Wanna find out?"

One tap was all it took for one fate to be sealed, and for Peter to maybe burn up all his battery life catching the Cloak up on all the memes, nerd stuff, and begin, the awesomeness that was StarWars, the OG experience.

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Heya, I remember this one-shot was up for Review Tag earlier in 2022… which I wound up not quite getting around to. But hey, better late than never, since it seems nicely bite-sized, and I figure I can take the plunge on things even if MCU fanfiction isn’t normally in my wheelhouse.

If you give a Cloak a cookie… it may follow you home, billowing and flapping to show off its newest grease stain and crumbs. There might have been some accusation to the motions. Maybe. Possibly. The smack atop the head definitely hadn't been friendly and the rat tailing after had been more than a mite mean.

… Wait, is the opening sentence supposed to be in past tense? Since everything else about this paragraph is written as if it has “just happened”, so the difference in verb tenses feels a little weird.

Not fluent in “cloak” the starting spider hero wasn’t one hundred percent sure what it wanted or why it followed him home, or why it led him to the complex's laundry ro-

You’re missing a couple words there assuming you're sticking to the “just happened” format.

Oh, well once the communal tide was wheeled down, Peter got the message. Sorry, he left his copy of "cloak for dummies" at school.

The communal what now? Though I see that this is going to be a bit of a crackier one-shot. :V

That line got him a head thwack from a fancy do-dad on the Cloak's collar. Sheesh, tough crowd. He'd just have to do better next time.

Some minor suggested changes for punctuation here. Though is there actually a gag universe somewhere out there in Marvel Comics where something like this happens?

So he'd bribed the cloak with the promise of extra detergent for it to stay folded, and right there, and hustled home. Shucking off his hero suit and snapping slinging in a few other red things, he got a load going. And the washing room was cramped and noisy, with only the rattle of the washer's drum and sloshing water and... taps from within as something tried to drum out a melody while being tossed around within. [ ]

"Sorry, don't know it."

IMO, you should explicitly add a moment of realization where Peter realizes “oh, the cloak’s trying to kick up a song”. It should only require an extra sentence or two.

Silence then, save the drum and the hum of a fluorescent light.

While the Cloak was washed Peter's brain was looping over the insanity of where the cookie, that he'd given the thing to say "sorry for accidentally webbing you", went.

… Wait, when exactly did Peter do this to the cloak again? Since this is literally the first mention of “web” or any variation of it in this one-shot thus far.

Oh, it wasn't a real mystery, he'd seen the whole thing go down. Hence the looping and whatnot. But his apology gift for their crash hello had not been eaten, munched, or even ground up and scattered. No no no, that'd be too tame.

The red fabric had CONSUMED its peace offering.

How? O_o;

And the CONSUMPTION had been a horrifying melding of “right back at ya’s” waddle dee scene, with the sound effects courtesy of a b horror flick B-movie that’d taken its sound bites off of a butcher room floor.

That… is quite the cloak there.
:fearfullaugh~1:

Though if this is all things that Peter has seen this cloak do already in the past by virtue of it trailing him, it might make sense to give more of an indication of when he first ran into it sometime earlier on in the story.

So suffice to say Peter needed a minute, and looking at the timer on the machine figured he had thirty of them to go, so great. Yay.

He head desked the nearest wall, gently not wanting to get stuck again, and groaned. How was this his life?

Because you’re in a comedic one-shot right now?
:gardeshrug~1:

He'd wanted to go out and help the little guy. Do those good things that everyone, even the best of the best heroes, kinda forgot in their bigness to do. Recusing cats, webbing up guns so people wouldn't get shot, stopping muggers, webbing guns, walking little old ladies,, returning bikes, and webbing up more guns... You know the small but important stuff like awesome guys like Iron Man and Captain America couldn't.

Not sure what you mean by ‘bigness’ there. It might make sense to substitute some other term, since I think you mean something like ‘importance’ here.

Magic outerwear was not in the bargain.

No kidding, but hey, you can’t say that it doesn’t make for funny shenanigans.
:loltias:

The "walk back home" had been rather embarrassing. He'd scrambled up a wall, sideways, skittering away, eyes wide, his fast streamed babbling of "wow look at the time" had been taken as an invitation to follow. Peter could still sorta hear the screaming as the last crumbs were dissolving into a seam, and the baffled fabric floated and flaunted its stains in equal measure until Peter'd just... given up on having anything like tact.

Wait, screams from what? Onlookers? Or was the cape literally screaming while eating?

"I should go home, you should too, bye!" hadn't been smooth. But it'd been to the point. Peter swung off into the sunset, to get a start on homework and other sane things, wanting to leave insane outwear behind.

Except flying magic cloaks could fly, go figure, and this one twisted itself into a question mark, without a dot on the bottom, whenever Peter swung to a stop to get his bearings. And Peter tried to lose it, really tried, really hard, swinging through construction and side alleys, and no luck. He'd come home winded and aching with the red cloth trailing after him and that had been that.

Somebody needs to fire up The Incredibles to get a few ideas of how to lose a cape. Ideally without him attached to it. :P

Still… Peter might not get... Cloak talk, its language of wrinkles and flapping, but the question mark had been easy peasy. It'd been asking a question.

Yes, but did he understand the cloak’s question itself? ^^;

And not being able to ask a question, one that Peter knew the answer to, that pushed a button deep in Peter's soul. It was that irrelevant fanboy button that lay deep within Peter’s very psyche. Nearly as ingrained as his altruism, because he'd babbled out the references on his first attempt out. Spoken the very mainstream and perfectly understandable comment about "wow that's a nice real-life reinterpretation of the waddle dee scene," and it had skated right over the thread count of his... cloth companion.

And that, that was not ok.

Why, were where others watching Peter do this in public or something?
:loltias:

Legend spoke of the almighty fanboy button that when pressed, the wise quaked and found other greener pastures to be at. Cloak didn't have a clue, didn't hear a thing. But Peter's sharing trait had kicked in hard, and Nerd Herd did not leave nerds out in the cold about references. No matter how Grimdark.

Wait, what is ‘Nerd Herd’ again? Though you have a couple typos here and there.

So, coming and going, coming back with detergent, because no one left that in stock in this laundry room, and with his cell phone, because May wasn't due back until stupid late so he could slack a little, Peter tapped the glass.

He tapped "shave and a haircut", old enough it might be recognized, and deliberate so that Cloak had a clue that this wasn't an accident. A spot of red, a flap or fold, rapped back. An echo of the tune and Peter tipped his phone down so the fabric could see hopefully around the suds.

Peter: “Boy is this going to be a headache to explain at the next Avengers meeting.” -_-;

"Hey, do you know what a waddle dee is? Tap one for yes and two for no."

Two taps in reply. And That was a nope. Well, there were ways to fix that. Peter popped open his account and hunted up the relevant scene, and tipped the phone so hopefully, the red thing inside could see.

"Wanna find out?"

Cue the one tap there.

One tap was all it took for one fate to be sealed, and for Peter to maybe burn up all his battery life catching the Cloak up on all the memes, nerd stuff, and begin, the awesomeness that was Star Wars, the OG experience.

I’m not sure what I just read there, but the ending was kinda cute.

Alright, so I gather that this is supposed to be a bit of a cracky and bite-sized piece to just sit back with and have a giggle with, and to its credit, I think that you pull it off decently well. Though it does have a few rough edges to it that I think weigh the overall piece down a bit.

In my opinion, the best aspect of this story is its humor. It’s a bit “wait wut”, but it doesn’t overstay its welcome and it’s a fun “brain off” piece about Peter Parker getting surprised by a cape that seemingly has a mind of its own and him coming to terms with it with a bunch of absurdist humor along the way. The ending made me smile a bit, and hey, if you ever wanted to continue the adventures of Peter and his magical cape, you have a decent enough opening to do so.

As for some of the flaws of this one-shot, but IMO, you should strongly consider reading through your one-shot again aloud at some point to iron out the wording and spelling, since there were a number of little awkward issues that I noticed throughout the one-shot. Nothing major, but something that would’ve been noticed immediately with a closer eye on things. On the more structural side of things, I kinda wished you described things a bit more, especially with regard to the “chronology” of Peter’s encounter with the cape. Since the story behind when and how Peter came across the cape a bit hazy and there’s some contradictory signals at different parts of the one-shot. At first it feels like Peter just ran into the cape, but then it turns out that it’s been shadowing him for much of the day. Try and make sure that that vibe is consistent at all times.

Also, meta-wise, I kinda wish you had played up the Marvel side of things for jokes more, like Peter dreading what Captain America or someone else would have to say about his present state of affairs. Like the whole Kirby anime gag was kinda funny, as was Peter teaching the Cloak to enjoy pop culture nerdery, but it did feel like the whole MCU side of things wasn’t really touched much on barring in one or two places.

I’m not fully sure what the impulse was for writing this story, but it’s fun in a weird sort of way, @K_S . It’s a bit cracky, but with a little more polish, I think that it’d be a nice “kick back and have a laugh” one-shot.

Hope the feedback helped, and best of luck with Review Blitz. ^^

Top Bottom