• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon House of Marble (one-shot, PMD-ish)

ShinyMachoke

Hitmonchan Defense Squad
Pronouns
He/they
Note: This short story was originally written in 2015. It takes place in Tabira, the setting for a pmd-like group I used to help run, "Tales of Tabira". Familiarity with the setting isn't required. The story just so happens to be Valentine's themed, imagine that!

homarble.jpg

“Well. We’re here.”

Marble and Xavier approached a modest, nondescript house of the usual Tabiran architecture; wooden exterior, windows framed by hollowed, cut tree stumps, a single door carved with soft edges, all nestled beneath towering oak trees. The Braixen observed a trio of locks on the door. He snickered.

“What’s so funny?” Marble asked as she fished a rusted keyring from her pocket.

“Oh, my dear, just the irony of having so many locks to keep thieves out. Yet here you are, inviting one... correction, a rogue, and a dashing one at that!... into your guarded abode!”

“It was like this when I moved in,” she responded bluntly.

Xavier’s large ears twitched and swiveled with each turn of a key into its corresponding lock. He told himself he had no intention of breaking in, yet old habits die hard. Still, one never knows when such information would come in handy.

Clunk! A final metallic turn, and Marble pushed the door open. Xavier hastily bounded onto the doorstep ahead of the Machoke, removed his hat, and took a bow. “After you,” he said with a flourishing gesture. Marble stifled a laugh, her muzzle blushing a purplish pink.

The pair entered. Xavier figured that Marble would be someone who didn’t keep many wordly possessions, but he didn’t expect the inside of her home to be so stark. Just the bare minimum of black-stained wooden furniture without a trace of any personal items, no pictures, decorations, anything of the sort.

“Quite a cozy little place, isn’t it?” Xavier said facetiously.

Marble shrugged. “It works for me. I just come here to sleep. And now that I’m a guild leader, I’m barely... what are you doing?!”

Xavier casually opened a drawer and peered inside. He caught a glimpse of a book before Marble effortlessly shoved him aside, and slammed the drawer shut. He nimbly caught himself before he hit the floor, and resumed his posh posture.

“Ugh, sorry Xavier. I’m just... I don’t like people poking through my things.”

“I should be the one to apologize, fair lady. My curiosity got the better of me, but that is no excuse.” After a beat, he continued. “What was that book I just saw?”

“It’s nothing.”

Xavier nodded. She keeps her things hidden out of sight. Who knows what other treasures lie within those closed drawers? Did the cover of that book have roses engraved on it? Perhaps the fair lady enjoys romantic literature. I shall have to remember this.

Marble continued the house tour, which merely involved her turning a bit and gesturing towards her left.

“Here’s the kitchen. Which is also the entrance. Kind of.”

“I presume the cooking area is seldom used?” Xavier said as he eyed an iron pan and various pots gathering dust in a corner.

“You’re a regular slylock, huh? Well, I used to cook more, but really, I just eat out these days. Guild member discounts are a nice perk.”

Disregarding his previous lesson, Xavier opened the door to the brick oven and was greeted by a cloud of dust. He coughed. “Not much of a baker, either.” He said this more to himself.

“Why bake when that great donut place exists?”

Xavier closed the oven. “Well, I was thinking more along the line of roasts and breads. Not junk food.”

Marble scoffed, crossing her arms. “Hey, if it wouldn’t bring down the property value, I’d demolish the kitchen myself. It makes the house too cold and drafty, no matter how much I cover the vents.”

“I pay no mind to the cold. But then, I suppose, I am gifted with warm, lush fur, and a fiery passion.”

“Yeah, move in and heat the place up... uh, I mean. Crap!”

Xavier grinned wide, baring his sharp teeth. “Why, my dear Marble, I thought you wanted to take things slow?” Marble sqirmed, the blushing on her snout intensifying. “But if you’d like, I could come by sometime and cook up something ravishing.”

Marble relaxed a bit, uncrossing her arms. “Oh, that sounds nice. What sorts of things can you make?”

“I know a plethora of recipes, my lady. I could pull something from a book I stol-er-ah, borrowed. Yes, borrowed. From a library.”

Marble sighed. “Xavier, everyone knows you’re a former thief. Sorry, rogue. It’s not like your past is a huge secret or anything. And you’ve more than redeemed yourself over the past year. But anyway, yeah, you should totally make dinner for us sometime.”

“Continuing this romantic turn of conversation, would you care to show me the bedroom?”

Marble tensed back up, her muzzle returning to a rosey hue. “Um. Sure, but I need to go in first for a second. Clear some things, and junk.”

Xavier innocently cocked his head. “Or there’s something scandelous out in plain open that you feel compelled to hide from me.”

The devious fox barely had time to leap out of the way as Marble made a mad dash to her bedroom. Humming to himself and smiling smugly, Xavier followed at a casual pace. Sounds of rustling paper could be heard from the bedroom, the door left slightly ajar in Marble’s haste. He stopped a good few feet from the door. He didn’t bother trying to sneak a peek inside; he’d return on his own time and uncover the guild leader’s closely guarded secrets.

After a few more paper rustles, followed by the click of a closing drawer, Marble called out “Okay, it’s safe.”

Xavier strolled in. Expecting the usual starkness, he was pleased to see a semblance of personality in Marble’s bedroom. Authentic Xin Tou tapestries, depicting ancient tales, decorated the walls. Jade figurines of fabled heroes stood proudly on a chesnut shelf on a wall opposite the window. There wasn’t a trace of those coveted papers Marble hid, yet it would take little effort to find where they were.

“I see you fancy the Xinese aesthetic,” Xavier deduced.

“Ha ha, yeah, I guess it’s pretty obvious.”

The Braixen approached one particular tapestry showing the legendary Dragon Falls. He looked at Marble expectantly, and she gave a wave of her hand, indicating she was fine with him touching it. Xavier obliged, gingerly picking up the bottom corners and scrutinizing the paint work.

“It is a lovely country,” Xavier murmered. “Especially if you keep to the outskirts. The eastern port had become rather crowded over the years.”

Marble’s eyes widened. “You’ve been to Xin Tou?”

“You have not?”

“I’ve always wanted to. But, even though I’ve been with the Trackers Guild since I was a kid, we just never had a reason to go there. And now, my free time is pretty limited. So, unless some criminals is making trouble over there, I doubt I’ll get to see Xin Tou anytime soon.”

Marble sat on her bed, and Xavier joined her side. He noticed a few folded blankets and a thick quilt at the foot of the bed, and recalled her mentioning the coldness of the house. How terrible it must be to be devoid of fur!

“Why the interest?” Xavier asked.

“Well, I always thought it’d be cool to compete in the Dragon’s Honor tournament. Also, my dad’s from there. He died before I was born, of course, but I guess I just feel a sort of kinship with Xin Tou.” After a brief silence, Marble turned to Xavier. “So, tell me more about what it’s like!”

And so, Xavier regaled his host with his adventures in Xin Tou with great embellishment. Marble hung onto his every word, sometimes interjecting with excitement (or to point of a hole in his stories... not too surprising for a Tracker to be sharp). She especially enjoyed his descriptions of the countryside and marketplace, his tellings so vivid she could almost imagine being there herself. Before they knew it, evening had come, waning sunlight bathing the small room in a veil of fiery orange.

“Hey Xavier. It’s getting late.”

The Braixen flopped down on the bed, posing seductively. “I suppose we should turn in, get ourselves comfortable...”

“Oh my god, no!” Marble cried out as she flew off the bed. “I mean, um. Not now. Not tonight. It’s too soon.”

“I understand. If I may be frank, you make it far too easy to tease you, so it can be difficult to hold back!”

“Please be serious,” Marble groaned.

Xavier hopped off the bed, closed his eyes, and removed his hat, holding it infront of his chest. “My fair lady Marble, I am aware that my behavior has been less than ideal this evening. From this day forward, I promise to act more as a gentlemon should. I take an oath to honor and respect..!”

Xavier’s pledge was interrupted by Marble scooping him into a hug and planting a kiss on his muzzle. “You hold yourself to that,” she said. “As a guild leader, I can dock rep for misconduct.” She kept her tone light despite the authorative declaration. Xavier just lowered his head and smiled sheepishly as Marble set him back down.

“It’d be wise to leave before any rumors start, hairball.” She hooked her arm onto his. “I’ll walk you out.”

“Lead the way, ma’am.”

A moment later, the guild leader and her date found themselves at the house’s entryway. The two exchanged a chaste kiss and then, after a curt bow, Xavier bounded into the woods. “You can take the roads, you know,” Marble called out in vain. Shaking her head, she remained in the doorway for a bit, realizing how warm she felt despite the chilly, early spring night air. “Stupid sexy Braixen,” she murmured before retreating back into her home, smiling.

Meanwhile, Xavier continued his trek through the woods. Sure, things didn’t exactly go to plan (they seldom do), but he felt satisfied in learning so much about his girlfriend in his brief visit. He slowed his pace. He realized that the burning desire to infiltrate her home had all but been doused. Besides, he was a mon of honor. It’s more rewarding to let things develop, to work at a lock with patient precision instead of eager haste.

Xavier settled into a clearing. He then yanked his stick from his tail, the friction from his fur igniting it, then plunged it into the ground. He pulled a blank sheet of paper and a fountain pen from his bag. He held the pen in his teeth, thinking. After a moment, Xavier proceeded to fervently scrawl on the paper, determined to write the shmaltziest, most flowery love poem he could muster for his lady love!

Last edited:

NebulaDreams

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. luxray
  2. hypno
So, hey, popping in to say this was a nice read and a good introduction to your works, plus I've developed a liking for romance stories so this hit the spot for me. For a short fic, it gives a really good picture of the characters: Marble is a tough, guarded figure who has a secret geeky and soft side (not one I'd expect from a Machoke character but a welcome addition), and Xavier is, of course, the rogue with a heart of gold. I thought these two had good chemistry together, and there were some adorable moments, especially when Marble reveals her more affectionate side.

I don't have any real complaints since this is a brief slice-of-life story, but now I want to know more about these characters and what their bigger adventures would entail. I guess if I had to nitpick, I wasn't too keen on the 'Stupid sexy Braixen' line since the meme brought me out of the story a tad, but it's nothing huge. In any case, I'm excited to check more of your stories out in the future.

Top Bottom