• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Hey, Kyogre!

Full Story

The Walrein

Vicinal Dragging for the Truth
Partners
  1. gulpin
  2. kricketot
  3. bulbasaur
Brief mild violence.

Hey, Kyogre!

Waves crashed against a rocky, desolate shoreline. There was no living creature to be seen except for a large, red, armored beast slowly approaching the water. Groudon stopped just before the point where the waves encroached furthest inland, and stared out at the ocean with a look of disgusted contempt. Finally, he cupped his hands over his mouth and yelled, “Hey, Kyogre!”

There was no response. “Kyogre, HEY! Heyyyyyyy Kyogre! Come on up here, Kyogre! HEY, KYOGRE!”

After a long delay, Kyogre’s rounded head broke the surface of the water a few meters out to sea. “What do you want?” they asked, observing their counterpart with a weary eye.

“You’re going to let me make two more continents, Kyogre! The days of ‘too much water’ are over!” Groudon announced, slapping the ground with his tail.

“And just what makes you think I’ll let you do that?” Kyogre responded, unimpressed.

In response, Groudon looked up to the sky and yelled, “Hey, Landorus!” Within moments, Landorus descended from the clouds to hover beside Groudon. “You’re outnumbered, Kyogre! There are two legendaries on Team Land now, so you have to give into our demands!”

“Outnumbered? I think not. Hey, Manaphy!” Kyogre bellowed. To their left, Manaphy emerged from the ocean in a spray of foam.

Groudon scowled at the sight of the little legendary, then interleaved his claws and cracked his knuckles. “Ha! I’m just getting started!” He stomped on the earth. “Get up here, Heatran!” The ground trembled, then split apart as Heatran burst forth, rivulets of magma dripping off their body.

Kyogre’s eyes narrowed. “Hey, Lugia! Time to warm up that old ‘Guardian of the Seas’ title!” Once more, the surface of the ocean parted to make way for Lugia swimming out from the depths.

“All right, playtime’s over.” Groudon pulled a hitherto-unmentioned backpack off his shoulders, from which he extracted a portable Reassembly Unit and a Zygarde Cube. He proceeded to insert the cube into the unit and press a button, which caused it to glow and rattle around before finally releasing Zygarde’s Complete Forme in a burst of light.

“Oh come on! Zygarde is the protector of the ecosystem in general, not the land in particular!” Kyogre protested.

“Well, he’s ground-type, isn’t he? That’s more than can be said about that oversized psychic-flying Swanna of yours!”

“Fine, if that’s how you want to play it...” Kyogre bent his head in a direction that was neither up, down, left, right, forwards, or backwards. “Hey, Palkia!”

Out of seemingly nowhere, Palkia slid sideways into Groudon and Kyogre’s reality, displacing air and water into some hidden dimension as they did so.

Groudon took a moment to gawk at the Spatial Dragon before shouting, “Now that’s just cheating! Palkia doesn’t have anything to do with seas or oceans! You send them right back!”

“Well, they’re water-type, aren’t they? So naturally, they’re on my side,” Kyogre said smugly.

“You leave me with no choice, Kyogre! HEY, ARCEUS!” Groudon roared.

A golden portal opened in midair, and the supreme deity strode forth onto the land, emanating an almost-palpable aura of grace and power. Immediately, Groudon whipped out an Earth Plate from his bag and poked Arceus with it, turning them ground-type. “Beat that, Kyogre!”
“Oh no you don’t!” Kyogre lunged onto the shore bearing a Splash plate in their flipper, and slapped it against Arceus’ ankle, who promptly shifted to water-type.

“Ground-type!” Groudon yelled, prodding Arceus with the Earth Plate to change them back.

“Water-type!” Kyogre countered, jabbing Arceus even more forcefully with the Splash Plate.

“Ground-type!Poke.

Water-type!Prod.

“Ground-type!” Jab!

“Water-type!” Jostle!

GROUND-TY-

ENOUGH OF THIS!” Arceus bellowed, blowing back Groudon and Kyogre with a shockwave of pure force. “You two are behaving like squabbling children! The balance between land and water should be determined by what’s best for the greater good of the planet, not by whoever’s side has more questionably-aligned legendaries! And for the rest of you!” Arceus turned their attention to the various scattered legendaries around the shore and sea. “You should be ashamed at helping to enable this petty behavior! Especially you, Palkia! Some of you are thousands of years old, so please try to act like it!”

The gathered legendaries mumbled various apologies. Placated, Arceus opened another portal and left, taking Palkia along with them. Groudon and Kyogre watched them leave, then turned towards each other.

“So...” Kyogre started.

“So,” Groudon echoed.

“I guess it was silly of us to be fighting like that,” Kyogre said, then gave a meaningful glance towards the sky. “At least, not while we have a common enemy. Are you thinking what I’m thinking?”

Groudon pounded his fists together. “Yeah! With all these allies of ours, we don’t have to listen to Rayquaza telling us what to do any more!”

“Exactly! Hey, Rayquaza!” Kyogre yelled.

“Rayquaza, hey! Heyyyyyyyy, Rayquaza!” Groudon joined in. “Get down here, Rayquaza! Get down here so we can beat you up!”

“We’re through with taking your guff, Rayquaza! You’re outnumbered now!”

“We’re all gonna beat you up, Rayquaza! Get down here!”

The clouds parted, and down from the heavens descended Rayquaza, light scintillating off their brilliant jade scales. Alongside them flew Tornadus, Thundurus, Zapdos, Articuno, Moltres, Ho-oh, Latias, Latios, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Yveltal, Eternatus, and a host of other minor flying or dragon-type legendaries.

“Looking for a fight, hmmmmm?” Rayquaza asked. “Good thing you’re not opposed to fights with uneven numbers, or else some of us would’ve had to miss out on all the fun.” Sparks and draconic fires crackled ominously from the mouths of the Pokemon around them.

Groudon took a step backwards as he craned his neck to take in all the different forms flying above him, then snarled.“Ha! We don’t care about your numbers! With us land and water legendaries working together, we’re unbeatable! Right, guys?”

Landorus coughed loudly. “Er, normally I’d be right with you, Groudon, but you can’t expect me to fight against my brothers, can you? I think I’ll have to sit this one out.” He promptly hovered to a far distance away from the brewing conflict.

“Uh, I guess that’s fair...” Groudon said, then glanced towards Heatran and Zygarde.

The latter returned his gaze awkwardly. “Sorry Groudon, but Kyogre had a good point about me being the protector of the whole ecosystem, which includes the air as much as it does the land or sea. Don’t think I can really take sides in this one.” Zygarde slowly backed away from the gathering, hands raised palms-out.

Meanwhile, Heatran was already beginning to burrow back underground. “You know, I may hang out around caves and volcanoes a lot, but my true home is in the mantle. All this business going on outside the crust doesn’t really concern me. Bye!”

“Wha-! Get back here, you cowards!” Groudon dived to the ground and shoved a hand into Heatran’s tunnel, but narrowly missed catching their back leg.

“Bah. I should’ve known Groudon wouldn’t have reliable allies,” Kyogre grumbled. “But Lugia, Manaphy and I will never surrender!”

Lugia swallowed nervously. “Um, you know that whole ‘Guardian of the Seas’ bit is really just something the humans came up with, right? Really, I feel much more aligned with my flying-type,” she said, then flew up to join Rayquaza’s army.

“Wait, you were calling for Manaphy? I’m actually Phione!” Manaphy said. “Ha-ha, silly mistake, people get us confused all the time, guess-I’ll-be-going-now.” They plunged below the waves without another word.

Rayquaza laughed. “Looks like you two are all out of allies. My, my, I don’t think there’s ever been a confrontation between us before that’s been quite this lopsided, wouldn’t you say? Seems like a good time for me to tell you about some new ideas I have regarding the balance of land, sea, and sky...”

“Uh, if Kyogre’s ‘never surrendering’ but I do, would that mean I’d get a better deal?” Groudon asked.

“So this is what I get for graciously setting aside my many, many grievances and trying to work with you. Eat salt, you traitor!” Kyogre yelled, then blasted Groudon’s face with a Hydro Pump attack.

“Aack! Pthh- I was only asking!” Groudon said, spitting out saltwater. “You attacked first, so that makes you the traitor!” He summoned a sharpened boulder from the ground with Stone Edge, then hurled it at Kyogre.

A short while later, Groudon was lying on his back in a small pool of water, moaning and staring up at the sky. Kyogre, beached upon jagged rocks, was pathetically trying to wriggle their way back into the ocean.

“Finally ready to hear about my plans, now?” Rayquaza asked. “For starters, I was thinking about drilling some huge holes in the centers of mountains to give birds a path to fly through. What do you say to that, huh?”

“You- you monster!” Groudon spat.

“Ha-ha, glad you like it! And for you, Kyogre, know what I think would improve those oceans of yours? If I added in some big ol’ air bubbles down there! A-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!”

“You’ll never get away with this!” Kyogre growled. “As soon as I- errrgggh! As soon as I get off this rock, you’ll- you’ll see...”

***​

A blue hedgehog and a two-tailed fox made their way across the floor of a flooded grotto, occasionally stopping to breathe at convenient air bubbles that seemed to spring from the ground in endless quantities. When they finally made their way to solid land, the fox breathed a sigh of relief. “That was a close one! Good thing there were so many air pockets down there! ...how do those even form, anyways? I can’t think of any natural process that would cause that...”

“Don’t worry about it, Tails,” Sonic said, emptying water from his shoes.

“Gosh, there’s just so many things science still has to figure out! Like where all those loop-de-loops in the sides of hills and mountains you like running on come from,” Tails said.

Sonic chuckled. “I suppose there’s just some things that hedgehogs – or foxes – were never meant to know. Now, how about you check down that tunnel over there for any more of Eggman’s robots?”

“Okay Sonic!” The fox obediently headed to complete this task. When Sonic was sure he wasn’t looking, he furtively pulled a little medallion displaying a winding emerald dragon out of his ring pouch.

“Thank you,” he whispered.

THE END

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
"Mom said it was *my* turn with the terraforming! Moooooom! Kyogre's getting my rock garden wet!"

"Nuh-uh, Mom said it was *my* turn to play with the planet! Mooooom! Groudon's putting rocks in my wave pool!"

"Now kids, you both know it's your big brother's turn to make a Sonic OC."

~

This is as hilarious as it is absurd. I always love the humorous takes on Kyogre and Groudon's squabbles over who gets to wreck Hoenn more. (Really, land vs water supremacy? Did they even pay attention in ecology class?) This is like a mash up of the sand guardian meme and the ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny (and probably part of the Hoopa Movie plot thrown in for good measure). The pettiness of grabbing allies based on typing really tickled me, including the stretch that is water-type ally Palkia, and Arceus-type-tug-o-war. (Poke-god is too old for this shit, honestly. Think he regrets creating these imbeciles yet?)

A little part of me is wanting this to have been what the player character is privy to in the games. Not too far of a stretch to have this be ORAS canon, after all. What's three to five (or twenty) more Hoopa hoops, anyway?

Of course sky snek has the ultimate army, (duh he's banned from competitive play). K and G never stood a chance. Defector Lugia was pretty funny, and of course K and G can't leave well enough alone. RayRay got the last laugh, because now he's best friends with Sonic, and the power of friendship always wins.

Petition to change the title of this fic to "The Ultimate Shitpost of Ultimate Destiny".

Persephone

Infinite Screms
Pronouns
her/hers
Partners
  1. mawile
  2. vulpix-alola
This is better if you imagine Arceus saying Knuckle’s “oh no” sound effect every time he’s hit.

Okay it seems like everything’s solved, but what type are Sonic and Tails? Sonic can’t breathe water, but he is blue. Blue means water type means ocean. And I guess Tails is land. So now Sonic must run faster than light to go back in time and join the fight. This is the true ending.

Also Dialga is a steel-type. Could’ve brought him in to counter Palkia. After all, you mine steel on land. And Palkia isn’t just “thousands of years old” like Arceus says. They’re literally as old as time. This plot hole ruined my enjoyment of the fic. Unsubscribed.

Which suggests that the Pokémon world is only thousands of years old. That means that Young Earth Creationism is confirmed in the Walreinverse. The Big Bang is a lie, Hand Llama made everything in six days with his many, many arms. Is this something scientists debate? Is there a religious faction that believes that actually the cosmos are way older and demands that the controversy be taught, even if all scientists disagree?

Okay but really tho I thought the joke would be about new regions being created given the start of the story. Kyogre very begrudgingly giving up land as all the legendaries bicker about what the new region should be like. I imagine Kyogre was delighted by Alola, for instance. That would also be a fun story.

Also never fully appreciated just how many legendaries are borbs. So many good borbs.

Last edited:

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Would you believe me if, when looking through the fics on the forums, I thought this one was meant to be paired with your Groudon story? I suppose while in a similar tone, this one was much more thoroughly composed. Liked it a lot more, even if it amounted to another shitpost. A good shitpost, though. More on that later.

While it didn't quite persist for the whole story, I have to give special note to some of the dialogue, particularly when they're shouting at each other. The dialogue style at the beginning almost reminded me of Rick and Morty, with the arrhythmic repetition style of addressing someone with actual sentences in between. I don't know if that was intentional or not, but it does help give a sense of disorganized urgency that helped set the tone early on for what to expect form the rest of the story.

I'd also like to give special note to the meta awareness the story leans on when gathering up the Legends for the fight that never happened. Answering Zygarde with Palkia, for example, once Groudon "expanded the rules" was a great follow-up. Really liked that one in this lightning fast cold war.

Nothing could have prepared me for the ending, though. I wasn't really sure where it was going, because I thought air bubbles in the sea and holes in the mountains made some sense for how to piss off the guardians of said kingdoms... But, well, all right, gotta admit, a Sonic crossover was probably near the bottom of my expectations from you and at this point I don't think I should be surprised by anything. It's pretty rare to see a creative way of bringing together almost two wholly different ideas together in a way that at least feels just cohesive enough that I can call it something that makes sense on some level. So for that, it was impressive. I also heard Sonic and Tails' voices pretty well, so I think you caught their manner of speech nicely!

So, I guess, thanks for... expanding my perspective on the Sonic-Pokemon metacanon. I'll keep this in mind going forward.

Partners
  1. skiddo-steplively
  2. skiddo-px2
  3. skiddo-px3
  4. skiddo-iametrine
  5. skiddo-coolshades
  6. skiddo-rudolph
  7. skiddo-sleepytime
  8. snowskiddo
  9. skiddotina
  10. skiddengo
  11. skiddoyena
Saw people recommending this, and hot damn I can see why! This was a lot of fun!

One of my favorite interpretations of Groudon and Kyogre's relationship and constant fighting is the idea that it's just something they do, something that is part of the natural course of their behavior rather than borne out of animosity or anger. One of my other favorite interpretations is that they're a pair of goddamn five-year-olds who can't share or get along for ten minutes without Dad threatening to turn this car around so help him, and this is a fun example of the latter. Groudon and Kyogre's over-the-top petulance and awkward, frankly-kinda-desperate attempts at oneupmanship are cute, and Rayquaza comes across less like my exasperated dad example but more like an older but equally-obnoxious sibling who gets a real kick out of lording it over the other two (even though Arceus's chastisement of the other two applies just as firmly to them, too)—I love it.

The steadily increasing array of legendary allies (or "allies") was a great mental picture, too.

Water-type!” Jostle!

Jostle! Heh. It's so energetic and silly and great.

Landorus coughed loudly. “Er, normally I’d be right with you, Groudon, but you can’t expect me to fight against my brothers, can you? I think I’ll have to sit this one out.”

C'mon, Groudon, don't let him off that easy! Smacking his brothers around so they behave is literally exactly what he does, man!

A blue hedgehog and a two-tailed fox

oh my god. oh my god. I don't even need to read the rest of it. That's fucking brilliant. I had no idea where on earth you were going with Rayquaza's demands but then this. A round of applause for you, sir!

I like this! Short and sweet and utterly ridiculous, all some of my favorite things. The build-up to the punchline was a little baffling and perhaps a bit more of a non-sequitur than it needed to be (since the point was the conflict with Rayquaza, the other legendaries didn't really contribute much to what actually happened), but by George did it pay off in the end. Thank you for yet another good laugh; I've really got to read your stuff more often!

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Hey, saw that this was recommended in the hype thread, so I decided to poke my head in and see what the fuss was about as part of Week 4, since I'd like to add a little bit of shortfic spice in between my longer catchup fare.

Waves crashed against a rocky, desolate shoreline. There was no living creature to be seen except for a large, red, armored beast slowly approaching the water. Groudon stopped just before the point where the waves encroached furthest inland, and stared out at the ocean with a look of disgusted contempt. Finally, he cupped his hands over his mouth and yelled, “Hey, Kyogre!”

There was no response. “Kyogre, HEY! Heyyyyyyy Kyogre! Come on up here, Kyogre! HEY, KYOGRE!”

Oh hey, I think I saw a webcomic of this once. :V

d7hvc39-496ef308-fd29-4f13-8232-30f2219b4e7e.png

After a long delay, Kyogre’s rounded head broke the surface of the water a few meters out to sea. “What do you want?” they asked, observing their counterpart with a weary eye.

“You’re going to let me make two more continents, Kyogre! The days of ‘too much water’ are over!” Groudon announced, slapping the ground with his tail.

Kyogre: "Yeah, no, I'm going back underwater." >_>;

“And just what makes you think I’ll let you do that?” Kyogre responded, unimpressed.

In response, Groudon looked up to the sky and yelled, “Hey, Landorus!” Within moments, Landorus descended from the clouds to hover beside Groudon. “You’re outnumbered, Kyogre! There are two legendaries on Team Land now, so you have to give into our demands!”

Kyogre: "... You realize that there's at least 3 other Legendaries I can think of offhand that are sea-related right? You're not gonna win this battle." >:|

“Outnumbered? I think not. Hey, Manaphy!” Kyogre bellowed. To their left, Manaphy emerged from the ocean in a spray of foam.

Surprised he didn't go with Lugia there, but I suppose Manaphy is the safer bet thanks to constantly living inna-sea.

Groudon scowled at the sight of the little legendary, then interleaved his claws and cracked his knuckles. “Ha! I’m just getting started!” He stomped on the earth. “Get up here, Heatran!” The ground trembled, then split apart as Heatran burst forth, rivulets of magma dripping off their body.

Kyogre: "... I'm sorry, who now?"
:what:

Heatran: "Hey, I'm not that forgettable!" >.<

Kyogre’s eyes narrowed. “Hey, Lugia! Time to warm up that old ‘Guardian of the Seas’ title!” Once more, the surface of the ocean parted to make way for Lugia swimming out from the depths.

Lugia: "This had better be important, Kyogre. I was just watching my child's performance in a play about young Pokémon going on an island-hopping adventure facing pirates and-"
Kyogre: "I don't care, help me win this argument here!" >_>;

“All right, playtime’s over.” Groudon pulled a hitherto-unmentioned backpack off his shoulders, from which he extracted a portable Reassembly Unit and a Zygarde Cube. He proceeded to insert the cube into the unit and press a button, which caused it to glow and rattle around before finally releasing Zygarde’s Complete Forme in a burst of light.

“Oh come on! Zygarde is the protector of the ecosystem in general, not the land in particular!” Kyogre protested.

“Well, he’s ground-type, isn’t he? That’s more than can be said about that oversized psychic-flying Swanna of yours!”

- Lugia beats out wings and makes shotgun cocking noises out of nowhere -
Lugia: "Psychic-flying Swanna?! Oh, he's going down!" >:|
Kyogre: "(Yeah, you always struck me as more of a Wingull-) Er... I mean, glad to see you're on the team here."

“Fine, if that’s how you want to play it...” Kyogre bent his head in a direction that was neither up, down, left, right, forwards, or backwards. “Hey, Palkia!”

So... Kyogre was just not moving his head then? :V

Out of seemingly nowhere, Palkia slid sideways into Groudon and Kyogre’s reality, displacing air and water into some hidden dimension as they did so.

Groudon took a moment to gawk at the Spatial Dragon before shouting, “Now that’s just cheating! Palkia doesn’t have anything to do with seas or oceans! You send them right back!”

Kyogre: "Part Water-type. If Zygarde counts, then so does Palkia."
:gardeshrug:

“Well, they’re water-type, aren’t they? So naturally, they’re on my side,” Kyogre said smugly.

“You leave me with no choice, Kyogre! HEY, ARCEUS!” Groudon roared.

Okay, that has to be cheating. >:V

A golden portal opened in midair, and the supreme deity strode forth onto the land, emanating an almost-palpable aura of grace and power. Immediately, Groudon whipped out an Earth Plate from his bag and poked Arceus with it, turning them ground-type. “Beat that, Kyogre!”

“Oh no you don’t!” Kyogre lunged onto the shore bearing a Splash plate in their flipper, and slapped it against Arceus’ ankle, who promptly shifted to water-type.

Oh yeah, I can already tell this will end terribly.
:loltias:

“Ground-type!” Groudon yelled, prodding Arceus with the Earth Plate to change them back.

“Water-type!” Kyogre countered, jabbing Arceus even more forcefully with the Splash Plate.

“Ground-type!Poke.

Water-type!Prod.

“Ground-type!” Jab!

“Water-type!” Jostle!

Oh hey, it's the Emerald Groudon/Kyogre battle cutscene animation playing out again.
:hoodLUL:

GROUND-TY-

ENOUGH OF THIS!” Arceus bellowed, blowing back Groudon and Kyogre with a shockwave of pure force. “You two are behaving like squabbling children! The balance between land and water should be determined by what’s best for the greater good of the planet, not by whoever’s side has more questionably-aligned legendaries! And for the rest of you!” Arceus turned their attention to the various scattered legendaries around the shore and sea. “You should be ashamed at helping to enable this petty behavior! Especially you, Palkia! Some of you are thousands of years old, so please try to act like it!”

- Everyone points proverbial fingers at each other
All: "They started it!"
Arceus:
807798727154728961.png

The gathered legendaries mumbled various apologies. Placated, Arceus opened another portal and left, taking Palkia along with them. Groudon and Kyogre watched them leave, then turned towards each other.

“So...” Kyogre started.

“So,” Groudon echoed.

“I guess it was silly of us to be fighting like that,” Kyogre said, then gave a meaningful glance towards the sky. “At least, not while we have a common enemy. Are you thinking what I’m thinking?”

Kyogre: "You deal with your 29% of the planet that's land, and I deal with the awesome 71% that's water?"
:gardeshrug:

Groudon: "... Okay, now you're just rubbing it in." >:|

Groudon pounded his fists together. “Yeah! With all these allies of ours, we don’t have to listen to Rayquaza telling us what to do any more!”

“Exactly! Hey, Rayquaza!” Kyogre yelled.

“Rayquaza, hey! Heyyyyyyyy, Rayquaza!” Groudon joined in. “Get down here, Rayquaza! Get down here so we can beat you up!”

“We’re through with taking your guff, Rayquaza! You’re outnumbered now!”

“We’re all gonna beat you up, Rayquaza! Get down here!”

dis_gon_be_good.gif

The clouds parted, and down from the heavens descended Rayquaza, light scintillating off their brilliant jade scales. Alongside them flew Tornadus, Thundurus, Zapdos, Articuno, Moltres, Ho-oh, Latias, Latios, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Yveltal, Eternatus, and a host of other minor flying or dragon-type legendaries.

“Looking for a fight, hmmmmm?” Rayquaza asked. “Good thing you’re not opposed to fights with uneven numbers, or else some of us would’ve had to miss out on all the fun.” Sparks and draconic fires crackled ominously from the mouths of the Pokemon around them.

Rayquaza: "Just remember, it's the sky that rules all-"
Ho-Oh: "Rayquaza, can you not tempt fate with someone like Dialga taking offense and butting in? Thanks." >v>;

Groudon took a step backwards as he craned his neck to take in all the different forms flying above him, then snarled.“Ha! We don’t care about your numbers! With us land and water legendaries working together, we’re unbeatable! Right, guys?”

youre_serious_futurama.gif

Landorus coughed loudly. “Er, normally I’d be right with you, Groudon, but you can’t expect me to fight against my brothers, can you? I think I’ll have to sit this one out.” He promptly hovered to a far distance away from the brewing conflict.

“Uh, I guess that’s fair...” Groudon said, then glanced towards Heatran and Zygarde.

The latter returned his gaze awkwardly. “Sorry Groudon, but Kyogre had a good point about me being the protector of the whole ecosystem, which includes the air as much as it does the land or sea. Don’t think I can really take sides in this one.” Zygarde slowly backed away from the gathering, hands raised palms-out.

Meanwhile, Heatran was already beginning to burrow back underground. “You know, I may hang out around caves and volcanoes a lot, but my true home is in the mantle. All this business going on outside the crust doesn’t really concern me. Bye!”

Groudon: "Oh COME ON!"
Kyogre: "Hmph, looks like we sea Legendaries are just made of tougher stuff than your ilk, Groudon."

“Wha-! Get back here, you cowards!” Groudon dived to the ground and shoved a hand into Heatran’s tunnel, but narrowly missed catching their back leg.

“Bah. I should’ve known Groudon wouldn’t have reliable allies,” Kyogre grumbled. “But Lugia, Manaphy and I will never surrender!”

Manaphy: "... You do realize that we didn't sign up for a 5 v... what on earth is that? 15, fight, right?" :|
Kyogre: "Yeah, well plans change. You are sticking your ground, right?"

Lugia swallowed nervously. “Um, you know that whole ‘Guardian of the Seas’ bit is really just something the humans came up with, right? Really, I feel much more aligned with my flying-type,” she said, then flew up to join Rayquaza’s army.

Lugia: "Also, my child has that play and... yeah. I'd like to be well enough to see it." https://cdn.discordapp.com/emojis/720106605982646283.png?size=44&quality=lossless/IMG]

“Wait, you were calling for Manaphy? I’m actually Phione!” Manaphy said. “Ha-ha, silly mistake, people get us confused all the time, guess-I’ll-be-going-now.” They plunged below the waves without another word.

Kyogre: "But I can clearly see your red-"
Manaphy: "J-Just some spilled dye! See ya!"

[ ]

Rayquaza laughed. “Looks like you two are all out of allies. My, my, I don’t think there’s ever been a confrontation between us before that’s been quite this lopsided, wouldn’t you say? Seems like a good time for me to tell you about some new ideas I have regarding the balance of land, sea, and sky...”

I personally think this bit would've worked better with some description dropped in of Kyogre and Groudon's reaction given that literally everyone they summoned bailed on them.

“Uh, if Kyogre’s ‘never surrendering’ but I do, would that mean I’d get a better deal?” Groudon asked.

“So this is what I get for graciously setting aside my many, many grievances and trying to work with you. Eat salt, you traitor!” Kyogre yelled, then blasted Groudon’s face with a Hydro Pump attack.

“Aack! Pthh- I was only asking!” Groudon said, spitting out saltwater. “You attacked first, so that makes you the traitor!” He summoned a sharpened boulder from the ground with Stone Edge, then hurled it at Kyogre.

<><><>

A short while later, Groudon was lying on his back in a small pool of water, moaning and staring up at the sky. Kyogre, beached upon jagged rocks, was pathetically trying to wriggle their way back into the ocean.

I personally feel the cutahead would've worked better with a hard scene / Gilligan cut there. But it's up to you as an author.

Rayquaza: "Well that went about as well as expected.

“Finally ready to hear about my plans, now?” Rayquaza asked. “For starters, I was thinking about drilling some huge holes in the centers of mountains to give birds a path to fly through. What do you say to that, huh?”

“You- you monster!” Groudon spat.

“Ha-ha, glad you like it! And for you, Kyogre, know what I think would improve those oceans of yours? If I added in some big ol’ air bubbles down there! A-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!”

“You’ll never get away with this!” Kyogre growled. “As soon as I- errrgggh! As soon as I get off this rock, you’ll- you’ll see...”

Whelp, guess we're getting holes in the mountains and air bubbles at sea. :V

A blue hedgehog and a two-tailed fox made their way across the floor of a flooded grotto, occasionally stopping to breathe at convenient air bubbles that seemed to spring from the ground in endless quantities. When they finally made their way to solid land, the fox breathed a sigh of relief. “That was a close one! Good thing there were so many air pockets down there! ...how do those even form, anyways? I can’t think of any natural process that would cause that...”

Talk about your unexpected crossovers there.

“Don’t worry about it, Tails,” Sonic said, emptying water from his shoes.

“Gosh, there’s just so many things science still has to figure out! Like where all those loop-de-loops in the sides of hills and mountains you like running on come from,” Tails said.

Sonic chuckled. “I suppose there’s just some things that hedgehogs – or foxes – were never meant to know. Now, how about you check down that tunnel over there for any more of Eggman’s robots?”

-snerk-

“Okay Sonic!” The fox obediently headed to complete this task. When Sonic was sure he wasn’t looking, he furtively pulled a little medallion displaying a winding emerald dragon out of his ring pouch.

“Thank you,” he whispered.

THE END

I mean, the changes only wiped the world clean of Pokémon, but hey. Acceptable sacrifices! :V

Alright, final thoughts:

I had fun with it. Like it was completely nonsensical and absurd, but some stories just are like that, and this one owns its niche quite well. I don't really have too many complaints to add that weren't already brought up. Maybe some more description would've been nice, but the story fundamentally runs on absurdist character interactions, so I'm kinda a bit less bothered by it.

Good work there @The Walrein . I'd been looking forward to getting to this story, and while I didn't know what I was expecting, I certainly wasn't disappointed at the end.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Hey, Walrein! Congrats on your infinity% increase in Blitz points this year. I didn’t get to catch up with as much of your work as I wanted to during one-shot week, but I wanted to try and stop by at least one more time.

lmao, didn’t see that coming, pretty much sums this one up for me. Hypothesizing a conflict in the Pokémon world that would explain the bizarre structure of the terrain in a completely different franchise is a galaxy-brained premise even by your standards. I love how you keep things fresh in your one-shots; I never know quite what to expect, but it’s always a good time.

You do seem to have found particularly fertile ground in the Groudon/Kyogre conflict, though! I’d initially thought this might be in the same continuity as “Groudon’s Map”, but I’m tickled that no, you’re ready with a variety of different takes on the petty sibling rivalry of the ancients.

You certainly do a great job of portraying the kind of inane slapfight siblings often get into, with the insane twisting of the rules in absurd one-upmanship until ultimately it takes a parent stepping in to restore peace. (But of course the conflict isn’t over, merely postponed, and G/K can’t just leave well enough alone.)

My favorite part here was definitely the dueling plates, where Arceus is just standing around, growing increasingly irritated, until finally he explodes and puts a temporary end to the fight. I always enjoy Arceus as long-suffering parent to a horde of squabbling, superpowered children, and he was in fine form here.

The final Sonic section is almost entirely disconnected from the opening scene, serving as a sort of non-sequitur punchline. Which is kind of interesting; I don’t think you usually structure your stories that way. I prefer the first section for its characters, but the Sonic ending did give me a smile and make for an effective last laugh, I think.

Good times all around! I’m always excited to see what a new story from you has in store. Thanks for sharing this one!

The Walrein

Vicinal Dragging for the Truth
Partners
  1. gulpin
  2. kricketot
  3. bulbasaur
The review responses continue!

This is as hilarious as it is absurd. I always love the humorous takes on Kyogre and Groudon's squabbles over who gets to wreck Hoenn more. (Really, land vs water supremacy? Did they even pay attention in ecology class?)

Worrying about ecology is Zygarde's job, or maybe Mew's or Xerneas'. If biodiversity plummets into the abyss due to eliminating most of the world's land/water, don't come complaining to Groudon or Kyogre - that's somebody else's department!

A little part of me is wanting this to have been what the player character is privy to in the games. Not too far of a stretch to have this be ORAS canon, after all. What's three to five (or twenty) more Hoopa hoops, anyway?

I guess the player character could be standing just off-page with binoculars, watching the whole drama play out. All those legendaries gathering in one place probably attracted a lot of attention.

Petition to change the title of this fic to "The Ultimate Shitpost of Ultimate Destiny".

Sadly, this fic has one Chuck Norris too few to qualify for Ultimate Destiny status. I'm flattered by the comparison, though!

Also Dialga is a steel-type. Could’ve brought him in to counter Palkia. After all, you mine steel on land.

Unfortunately, Groudon's familiarity with post-paleolithic technology like 'steel' is sadly limited. It's a miracle he even knows how to work a Zygarde assembler.

And Palkia isn’t just “thousands of years old” like Arceus says. They’re literally as old as time. This plot hole ruined my enjoyment of the fic. Unsubscribed.

Technically, any duration of time which isn't exactly one thousand years can be described as "thousands of years", in the same way that one millimeter is 0.001 meters, plural, or 1001 millimeters is 1.001 meters, plural.

Which suggests that the Pokémon world is only thousands of years old. That means that Young Earth Creationism is confirmed in the Walreinverse. The Big Bang is a lie, Hand Llama made everything in six days with his many, many arms. Is this something scientists debate? Is there a religious faction that believes that actually the cosmos are way older and demands that the controversy be taught, even if all scientists disagree?

My serious canon is generally that the legendaries (or other entities a level above them) created the particular planet the games take place on, but not the universe as a whole. There are religious factions which hold that the universe is eternal with no ending or beginning, but they're generally unconcerned if anyone actually believes that or not.

Okay but really tho I thought the joke would be about new regions being created given the start of the story. Kyogre very begrudgingly giving up land as all the legendaries bicker about what the new region should be like. I imagine Kyogre was delighted by Alola, for instance. That would also be a fun story.

I actually did have Groudon create a new region as a plot point in Groudon's Map, if you'd like another story about legendary shenanigans.

While it didn't quite persist for the whole story, I have to give special note to some of the dialogue, particularly when they're shouting at each other. The dialogue style at the beginning almost reminded me of Rick and Morty, with the arrhythmic repetition style of addressing someone with actual sentences in between. I don't know if that was intentional or not, but it does help give a sense of disorganized urgency that helped set the tone early on for what to expect form the rest of the story.

I haven't seen Rick and Morty yet. The dialogue here was probably most influenced by Filmcow videos, in particular Hell Yeah Batman, which starts with a sequence of "Hey Batman!"s which is pretty similar to Groudon's initial string of "Hey, Kyogre!"s.

I like this! Short and sweet and utterly ridiculous, all some of my favorite things. The build-up to the punchline was a little baffling and perhaps a bit more of a non-sequitur than it needed to be (since the point was the conflict with Rayquaza, the other legendaries didn't really contribute much to what actually happened), but by George did it pay off in the end. Thank you for yet another good laugh; I've really got to read your stuff more often!

This was another of those fics where I wasn't sure how to end it, so I ended up going with something way out of left field.

Oh hey, I think I saw a webcomic of this once. :V

d7hvc39-496ef308-fd29-4f13-8232-30f2219b4e7e.png

I chose the shoreline of an ocean as the setting for this fic to try to give some balance between the two sides. I never actually played any of the Hoenn games or saw any of the concurrent anime, so I'm woefully ignorant of what situation the comic's referring to.

Surprised he didn't go with Lugia there, but I suppose Manaphy is the safer bet thanks to constantly living inna-sea.

When I was writing this, I thought that Manaphy also had a formal 'Guardian of the Seas' title like Lugia did, but looking it up now, apparently not.

- Lugia beats out wings and makes shotgun cocking noises out of nowhere -
Lugia: "Psychic-flying Swanna?! Oh, he's going down!" >:|
Kyogre: "(Yeah, you always struck me as more of a Wingull-) Er... I mean, glad to see you're on the team here."

Yeah, this was pretty much a direct reference to everyone assuming Pleo was some kind of weird Swanna in Fledglings.

So... Kyogre was just not moving his head then? :V

This was supposed to mean that Kyogre had turned their head along a fourth-dimensional axis to call out to Palkia, but honestly this bit was kind of silly.

Rayquaza: "Just remember, it's the sky that rules all-"
Ho-Oh: "Rayquaza, can you not tempt fate with someone like Dialga taking offense and butting in? Thanks." >v>;

I had Palkia leave with Arceus because they could actually beat all of Rayquaza's cohort by themselves in my head-canon.

I personally think this bit would've worked better with some description dropped in of Kyogre and Groudon's reaction given that literally everyone they summoned bailed on them.

Perhaps. I sometimes worry that I have a problem with under-describing things, as I don't particularly like writing description and have a tendency to avoid it. Maintaining narrative momentum is pretty important in comedic works, though, and adding in description tends to slow things down.

I personally feel the cutahead would've worked better with a hard scene / Gilligan cut there. But it's up to you as an author.

I'm not sure what you meant here - I don't know how this scene transition could be any snappier than it already is.

The final Sonic section is almost entirely disconnected from the opening scene, serving as a sort of non-sequitur punchline. Which is kind of interesting; I don’t think you usually structure your stories that way. I prefer the first section for its characters, but the Sonic ending did give me a smile and make for an effective last laugh, I think.

I think I may have started shifting to having more non-sequitur endings as of lately. Charitably, you could call this a new comedic style rather than laziness around thinking up a compelling ending.

Thanks to everyone who left a review - I honestly don't know how to respond to praise very well, but I'm glad that you all enjoyed it, and reading your comments is always a big boost to my mood.

Top Bottom