• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Grass Continent ~ Treasure Town Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa laughed in agreement. "Yeah, we're both always lookin' to work on things. Look fer solutions, train up, all that."

She hummed in thought, lips pursed, as she padded further along the beach. Luz had found a piece of jet-black sea glass and was showing it off to Cal as if it were the most exciting thing in the world. Cibus' hope, huh? Brisa didn't think a force like that existed in her world. But maybe she could be wrong. And maybe she had grit enough that she could do without it. She didn't doubt for a second that Owen could.

"The things as matter to us, the ways we try'n solve our problems, what we value and hope fer ourselves an' others... That stuff ain't changin' when we go home. Maybe the world around us and the challenges in our lives will go back to what they were, but I think in some ways, you and I were always gonna grow the way we grew. Becomin' our best selves was just a matter of time."

Brisa smiled at her friend, and felt proud enough to float on air.

"I bet if you and I met each other a dozen times over, we'd be friends every time," she said, chuckling.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Definitely," Owen said, stretching his wings routinely as Cal marveled at the sea glass, literally wrapping one of her hands around it.

Owen, smiling a little, glanced at Luz and Cal thoughtfully. "It's interesting, huh?" He gestured to Luz and Cal. "...Luz likes to keep her form, right? Mimic bones and everything. But Cal, uh..."

As he spoke, Cal was curling her neck around Luz to get a better look at the shard.

"Guess she's embracing it."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Heh, yeah. Luz has always known exactly who she is. The person li'l Brisa wanted t'grow up to be. I think she's okay with bein' a void eterna after the 'hatching' and everythin', and it's in her nature to be upbeat, but I know it gets to her sometimes."

Brisa smiled at the two shades getting along. "They didn't always see eye to eye on, y'know, shade stuff. I'm glad they're friends fer after we're gone. Wish I could see who they turn out to be a decade from now, but I got plenty faith in 'em all the same."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"She'll grow up fine," Owen said, nodding. "I think they're going to be pretty big unknowns to the world, but between help from Diyem, Eien, the Overseers... I think it's pretty clear they're gonna be heroes in their own way. That's... probably exactly what they'd asked for, huh?" He looked down at Brisa, an odd smile on him. It had mixtures of realization and relief, like he hadn't really pieced it together until just then: they would be fine.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa couldn't help but laugh. A bright and cheerful one, for once.

"Yeah, pretty much. Maybe soome of the others, too. I know that Rocky has one hell of a penchant for . . . well, theatrics more than heroics, honestly. But our gals? Yeah, they'll... They'll get by."

She sighed, and though she'd already had every confidence in them, sharing that belief with Owen made it seem real, and another layer of tension lifted away. One piece of closure after another, in one long, long list...

"Anythin' else y'need to get off yer chest, fella?" she asked, both serious and playful at once. "Think of it this way. Anythin' super fuckin' weird and uncomfortable, I'll just forget in a matter of hours."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa grinned at him, unsurprised. "I'd be a hypocrite if'n I weren't able to handle that li'l reveal," she said, evenly. "I didn't wanna risk makin' you real uncomfortable, but y'deserve a chance to process that before we part ways. Closure, an' all."

She nudged him with her elbow, (pretty hard, he had several times her bulk after all,) and put a tiny spark of Radiance into it, enough to say hey, it's okay.

"I dunno if it helps, but... If I were ever to pick a fella, y'know? It'd have to be you."

Or at least, a recognisable you. His younger doppelganger didn't quite have the temperament.

The thought flashed into her mind that Miracle Owen might have discussed what happened during the swap with her Owen. Oh dear.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Yeah." Owen nodded. "And if there was a time where I'd be cut off from my world... Well, that'd be awful, actually, but... It'd be at least a little, or a lot, better if someone like you was there, too." Funny. He hated what was happening in his world, but he still wanted to go back. Maybe he had the power to change it after all.

"Mm... Something weird," Owen went on, humming. "...Oh, I know. Back at our place..." His voice lowered; Cal and Luz were a bit far ahead. "...There's a secret compartment under my bed. It has a lead box, so not even you can see through it. That's where I keep them. The other comics." He paused. "...I'm gonna have to destroy that before we go."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Yeah, Cibus wouldn't've been what it was if it weren't fer you bein' here with me, partner," she murmured. She thought she caught a smile in reply.

Brisa put a paw to her mouth and chuckled as Owen made this next, deeply unnecessary confession. "Don't worry, man, I ain't lookin' at those. I did wonder why there was a black spot 'neath the buildin', figured it were none of my business." She smirked at herself. "I used to have some trashy fuckin' pulp romance novelas back in my world. Dog-eared the fuckin' things. Turns out DV's library has whole shelves of better-written material. Ugh. I'll miss the company, the sense of purpose, the food... But I'll miss decent romantic literature, too. Damn and blast."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"I tried tracking down some of the authors, but a lot of them are really secluded," Owen said. "But for my favorite one... I found the author there. But I can't talk about the ending; I'm sworn to secrecy." He nodded firmly, looking deadly seriously for only a second. Then, he relaxed again. "...I'll definitely miss this place. I hope when I get memories of this place again, it won't be too different. I wanna try to visit if I can. See how Cal's doing. See how a lot of things are doing, maybe leave some notes behind for anyone who gets the same idea..."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa gave the occasion hum of acknowledgement as she listened. Good on Owen for finding out how his favourite series were gonna end.

"If I get my memories back, I'm trackin' down my world's Voice an' contrivin' to get to Spirit's Edge, at least. Assumin' that's possible fer all Voices, anyway. I'd visit Luz, an' Zeraora, an' God Squad. I'd visit you. I'd visit Starr, an' Astrid; Dave an' Koa. Even Aria, if she ain't got t'me first. I tell ya, the Voice'd get real sick of me!"

It was a little forced . . . but still, it felt just possible enough to be happy about.

She sniffed, and wiped her muzzle with the back of her paw. "Can't believe I spent all those years on my lonesome, only t'find a lover, a father figure, and true friends aplenty on another fuckin' planet I can't even come visit. Makes me luckier'n all those miserable bastards back home, though."

She turned to Owen, aware that she was at risk of messy emotionality. Who cared?

"Gimme a damn hug already, you sonofabitch," she managed, voice thick.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
It didn't take long for Owen to reciprocate, swooping down and picking Brisa up in not just his arms, but his wings, too. He wasn't the strongest, physically, but his sheer size made the gesture trivial.

He was so warm. The air was like blankets. And Owen held her at just the right pressure that she couldn't get away, but not enough to crush her. He knew his strength after all this time.

"I'll miss you," he whispered. "But one day, I'll remember. I'll find a way. And so will you."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa struggled to speak, her head empty of anything but the need to keep holding Owen, as if by never letting go, she'd never have to finally say goodbye for that final time. So she kept hugging him tightly, with just enough presence of mind to use her Radiance to let him know, I'm okay, I love you, don't let go.

Eventually her breath returned. It couldn't have been more than a minute at most, though it had felt longer.

"I'll miss you too," she managed, voice thick and throat tight. "You're the kinda friend I'm lucky to have even once in my lifetime. It'll be a miracle to know you twice. But I'll keep hopin'."

The two of them stayed on the beach together after that, but less was said. Easier to watch their familiars play on the sand together. Luz building a palossand as fast as she could, while Cal worked to spew seawater at it from afar. Cal trying to prove she could go rigid if needed, and Luz showing off her mediocre shapeshifting ability – though she made a creditable luxray, perhaps unsurpisingly. Having fun. Being friends.

Brisa squeezed Owen's paw in her own as they watched. It was getting late. Nearly the end, now. Perhaps only one thing was left to say.

Her paw flickered gold.

Thanks, partner.

<><><><><>​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom