• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Grass Continent ~ Treasure Town Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExplosiveTurkey

gib bludoge pls
Pronouns
him/his
"Eeyup -- figured that much out over a couple drinks. It's fascinating talking to someone who can beat me to my own backstory," Aria said, a laugh in her voice. "Which reminds me, we talked a bit about you too. Ooor more accurately, she gushed about you while I egged her on. It was kind of cute."

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Starr had to let out a snort. "Can't say I'm too surprised at that one. What with all the months she spent with a crush anyone could see from a mile off." She smirked. "And yeah, it's cute as hell."

"You two got to have a fight, right? How'd that go?" Of course, she'd heard about it plenty from Brisa's enthusiastic retelling, but still, she was curious to hear what Aria thought of it.

ExplosiveTurkey

gib bludoge pls
Pronouns
him/his
"Hm. It was... fun," Aria replied, brisk and matter-of-fact-edly. "We fight pretty differently, but I like to think we gave each other a good workout. Was worth the early visit to the infirmary for me, at least, and I'm glad it happened before the big team brawl. I'm kind of rusty at managing the strength of this body, so there were a couple hiccups at the start."

She swung her arm around a few times, rolling her joints. "But we sorted that out quickly enough thanks to that power of hers. Whiplash, I think she called it? Helped me get back in the groove of just throwing myself at someone."

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Yet another way those two were similar. Wasn't hard to imagine that if Brisa had been called back to test the strength of her successors, that she'd be throwing herself back into the thick of things as soon as possible.

"Yeah, Whiplash, that's the one—lets her 'speak from the heart' or something like that. Sooo I'm guessing it wasn't exactly a mystery that she thought you looked strong as hell. Heard a lot about that Extremespeed in particular."

ExplosiveTurkey

gib bludoge pls
Pronouns
him/his
Aria blinked, looking unsure of how to react for a moment. "...You know a compliment's genuine when you're not there to hear it. But I guess Extremespeed kind of is my calling card -- it's hard to ignore someone pinballing around, after all."

She punctuated that with a chuckle, which then led into a grin. "And yeah, it was pretty obvious she thought I looked like a good fight. Though... I also got her to admit she was into that in more ways than one. And now I think I have a pretty good idea of what to expect from you."

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Starr raised an eyebrow. "You think so?" But then she let out a snort. "Yeah, I bet if you and Brisa went drinking, you probably got to hear plenty about the way I do things. ...Not that anyone couldn't just head over to the colosseum if they wanted to know how my shit works," she added with a small laugh. "You guys definitely have the surprise advantage on us, that's for sure. I was talking with Ben the other day and I still don't have a clue how he fights. The guy could be a healer for all I know."

ExplosiveTurkey

gib bludoge pls
Pronouns
him/his
Aria thought about it for a moment, before shrugging. "That checks out. I've been fighting next to these guys for a while, and I still don't have a handle on all the assorted bullshit they can come up with. Hell, I'm pretty sure I've healed the team once or twice before.

"And yeah, we're still hiding all our aces. The Blacklight's not going to hand over a brochure for what to expect from it, so... think of this as us preparing you guys for that," she said with a shit-eating grin.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Starr matched Aria's grin with her own. "Good. I'd have been pissed if I heard you guys were holding out on us. Bring on the weird bullshit, cause we're planning on winning." She was probably going to regret saying that but... whatever, they'd beaten a god on the fucking moon. Literally what did it even matter if they lost.

...But also winning would be satisfying as hell.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Starr met Aria's fist with her own and grinned. "Well then, I'll look forward to seeing you guys try."

<><><><><>​

[R17] — Two Canines Talk (Icetales & Koa)

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
A few days had passed since the trying battle at the Colosseum, and Icetales and Petram decided to spend the day by the beach.

The sky was partially cloudy, offering just enough sunlight for Petram and enough shadows for Icetales. Synthetic meat was being cooked on a small barbecue they brought from their house, with Petram breathing some small embers on the coals to keep the temperature high enough.

Meanwhile, Icetales was preparing some extra cold lemonade from underneath a tree, while sitting inside a medium-sized refrigerator. He quivered once in a while and hissed to himself whenever he moved too fast — his joints still felt like burning.

“Hey, Daddy! What do you think if after the barbecue we build a castle? I bet you could come up with some cool designs!” said Petram, grinning at the Ninetales. “I mean, you used to live in one, so you could give me a few pointers.”

Icetales stared at the shade for a few seconds, mulling over that request.

“I shall consider that, but keep in mind what the doctor said — I cannot stay under the sunlight for too long,” replied Icetales, before grabbing an ice bag with one of his free tails and pressing it on his face. “Bejirah… It was most distasteful to have to endure a literal inferno of flames! By the heavens, isn’t my entire body aching and I am not feeling as if I am trapped inside a oven! Not even my own darkness could shield me from those scorching tongues of fire…”

In all fairness, I am not some infallible nor impenetrable barrier. Besides, that was nothing in comparison to the injuries we had sustained during this entire time on in this planet.

I am fully aware of that. Howbeit, that doesn’t make the ache any less dolorous…

It will pass. Our body is plenty durable.

Indeed. It would pass. Icetales wasn’t looking forward the time in-between, however.

“Aww. Alright! Do what you feel like doing!” said Petram, showing a thumbs-up. He resumed focusing on the roasting meat, but his gaze lingered on the sand grazing his feet.

“Hmm… Maybe later I’ll build a sandmon!”

Icetales quirked an eyebrow. “A… sandmon?”

“Yeah! It’s basically a snowmon, but with sand!”

“Ah. That sounds intuitive enough.”

“I think I’ll do just that… later!” exclaimed Petram, before he started humming to himself. “Do you wanna build a sandmon? Come on, let’s go and play…”

Something about those lyrics sounded oddly familiar to Icetales. Snowmons… royals with ice powers… hmm… that rang quite a few bells.

Speaking of bells, it was time to use his restorative technique. The Ninetales lifted a tail, and the mystical bell chimed with a limpid tone. A soothing energy was spread on his back, making him feel a bit better.

With that matter settled, he curled up inside the refrigerator and kept preparing more lemonade with his tails, fulling enjoying the mixture of fresh marine breeze and chilly ice.

…But someone was approaching. His ears swiveled and his darkness churned underneath his body. Keo’Keo emerged from the darkness and darted through the shadows, in order to find out who was coming. Icetales turned his head and checked on his rushing shadow, and his curiousity increased when the spectral fox approached him.

Well, it looks like we have company, and of the pleasant kind…

Last edited:

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Koa made his way down the beach, enjoying the cool, salty breeze and the sand under his paws. It was different than Canalave's beach, but it was nice still and reminded him of home.

To his delight, he soon spotted Icetales in the distance, as he'd hoped. It'd been far too long since he'd caught up with his first and oldest friend. Instinctively, he opened his mouth to call out to him, then closed it again with a grimance. His throat still felt sore after the blow he'd received. Instead, he opted to walk the rest of the way. Curiously enough, Icetales lay curled up inside a refridgerator, but he supposed that was far from the srangest thing he'd ever seen. "Hey Icetales." His tone remained cheerful, but his voice came out a little quieter, and just slightly hoarse.

"How's it going?" he stretched carefully, then lay down nearby. Between all the beatings they'd taken, he was beginning to appreciate laying down more and more.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Soon enough, the familiar shape of the Manectric came into view, and Icetales’ eyes glistened in delight. He waved his forepaw.

“Ah! Sir Koamaru! What a pleasant surprise to see thee here!” he chirped, wagging a couple of his tails. “Thou fancied some relaxing time by the beach, too? How lovely!”

The phantom fox stood beside his host and stared at Koamaru for a while. Upon determining that his presence wasn’t required, he retreated into his host’s darkness.

"How's it going?" he stretched carefully, then lay down nearby.

Icetales narrowed his eyes, having detected the change of tone in his friend’s voice, but quickly flashed a reassuring smile.

“Well, it is going swell enough, I reckon. At least, as much as an overcooked body can recover. That battle with the Miracle Matters was quite the scuffle, hm?” The Ninetales chuckled sheepishly and dug himself into the ice. He glanced at the pitcher of lemonade in his tails, then looked intently at Koamaru. “Fancy some fresh lemonade? It is a nice beverage during such a warm day.”

And in the meanwhile, Petram was singing to himself, totally enthralled in his hamburger-flipping and daydreaming about sand sculptures.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
“Well, it is going swell enough, I reckon. At least, as much as an overcooked body can recover. That battle with the Miracle Matters was quite the scuffle, hm?” The Ninetales chuckled sheepishly and dug himself into the ice. He glanced at the pitcher of lemonade in his tails, then looked intently at Koamaru. “Fancy some fresh lemonade? It is a nice beverage during such a warm day.”
"That's one way of putting it," he said, with a chuckle. He'd never have said it to their faces, but the Miracle Matters were no pushovers, that was for sure. Icetales had taken quite the beating too. Still, they'd won in the end.

"And sure, lemonade sounds amazing." He said with a grateful smile. Between the lemonade and the burgers, his mouth was already beginning to water. "Are you recovering good?"

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales shrugged. “Heh. I am recovering well enough. Spring isn’t the ideal weather for me, but aspear and rawst blends are a good way to speed things up. I hope thy recovery is faster than mine, at least.”

He wagged his tails. “Anyway! Here is some fresh lemonade, then!”

With that said, Icetales grabbed a tall glass from a set placed on a sheet on the grass, then poured the fruity drink and extended it to the Manectric. “There. It is all yours.”

There was a loud whistle, which got Icetales’ attention. Petram was grinning happily, as he rolled a few coals with his claws.

“The burgers are almost ready! Ah, I can’t wait to chow on—” Petram paused when he noticed that Daddy wasn’t alone, and beamed an elated grin at Koamaru. “Yo, buddy! Cool to see you here!” He glanced at Icetales. “Daddy! You didn’t tell me you had invited guests!”

“Because I did not,” replied the Ninetales, chuckling in amusement.

“Oh! Well, the more and the merrier!” Petram rubbed his paws and looked at the sauces, before murmuring to himself. “Hmm… I should have brought more mayo, though…”

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Koa took the drink and sipped at it, sighing with relief as the cool liquid trickled down his throat and chilled him slightly. It soothed his still aching throat in a very pleasing way. "Thank you.I hope you don't uh... mind me joining you out here by the way. Hi Petram," he called, giving the eager Zoroark a friendly smile. He'd never had the pleasure to talk with Icetales familiar at length, but he seemed nice. He'd certainly changed a lot from that little Vulpix.

"I'm recovering... fine. That battle hurt but Pokemon here are pretty durable I guess." He paused for a moment to take another sip of his lemonade. "Except for my throat," he muttered. He rubbed at it with one paw.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
"Thank you.I hope you don't uh... mind me joining you out here by the way. Hi Petram," he called, giving the eager Zoroark a friendly smile.

Petram grinned and wagged his tail. “Oh, we don’t mind at all! There’s nothing better than some good company to spend a nice time by the beach, haha! And hey! This fresh air is good the lungs, or whatever!”

“Ah, yes. Iodine…” mused Icetales, before grabbing a piece of ice and chewing it. “My dear sister Fifth used to speak plenty of the benefits of iodine. Ice baths, too, but well… this isn’t the best season for that. Too warm.”

"I'm recovering... fine. That battle hurt but Pokemon here are pretty durable I guess." He paused for a moment to take another sip of his lemonade. "Except for my throat," he muttered. He rubbed at it with one paw.

There was a brief moment of silence, which was interrupted by Petram’s hiss of sympathy.

“Oof, man! Now that you mention a throat… I might have heard something about that Bisharp — Gene, was it? — who slammed her fist into someone’s throat. It was you?” He rubbed the back of his neck. “Hm. Gosh! Sorry you had to go through that, pal. Must’ve hurt like hell.”

“…Queen Gene did that?” asked Icetales, his face a mix between dismay and bewilderment. “I… was unaware of that…”

“I mean, you were out cold back then, Daddy. They really wanted to get rid of the healer and shield master, didn’t they? They even roared at you or something!”

Icetales frowned. “I am no shield master, but… Yes, perhaps that was what they were aiming at.” He shook his head and looked worriedly at Koamaru. “But still, that was such an underhanded technique. I didn’t expect that she, of all ‘mons, would have… How art thou feeling now?”

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
“Oof, man! Now that you mention a throat… I might have heard something about that Bisharp — Gene, was it? — who slammed her fist into someone’s throat. It was you?” He rubbed the back of his neck. “Hm. Gosh! Sorry you had to go through that, pal. Must’ve hurt like hell.”

Koa gave a half hearted chuckle. "Yeah, that was me."

The memory of the attack still felt raw, more raw than the slight ache in his throat. Lying there, helpless, unable to even call out to his team...

He shuddered internally at the memory.

"I'm fine now, honestly though." He paused for a moment to consider his next words. "Besides, even if they hadn't knocked you out, its not like I could have called for help. I was..."

Silenced.

"Whatever move she used, I couldn't speak, or use any of my attacks." He took another sip of his lemonade. "I have to admit, they were good. Really good." His voice trailed off and he frowned, his thoughts returning to the battle. The other Owen, their own, those brief glimpses of a silver barrier... "Maybe too good."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
The two foxes traded glances, with both of them realizing what had happened. After all, it was easy to spot a dark technique when you were attuned to darkness.

‘Throat Chop… Sounds like a cruel joke to me,’ projected Petram in Icetales’ mind, who simply nodded. ‘Better try to… y’know, do what you do best.’

‘I shall, but thou better make sure that the burgers aren’t burning.’

It was in that moment that the Zoroark registered the new smell in the air. Smell of something burning… Oh! Snap!

While Petram was busy savaging the burgers and scratching the burnt parts, Icetales stood up and got out of his refrigerator. He shook his mane, spreading a faint snowy veil on the fresh grass, and sat down beside Koamaru.

“Indeed. Those Miracle Matters are a force to behold. And truly, they had the upper paw throughout most of the match.” He sighed and closed his eyes. “I reckon… that one of the many thoughts that went through our friends’ minds was… why are we here, if they had all those incredible Blacklight powers? Why did Sir Diyem summon us instead of them? It is not like he could afford to bring the second choices, what with this world being in peril and all. So, why risk it?”

Admittedly, Icetales didn’t know yet why Diyem had summoned them, specifically, and he had the faintest belief that Diyem himself didn’t quite know who he was picking from across multiple dimensions.

Though, it made some sense to bring the strongest souls he could find, no? It was like trying to grab a shell inside the sea by using a blurred shape and color as the only references. Perhaps… they were just blurred shapes and colors for Diyem, too, when they had be summoned.

However, that wasn’t relevant anymore. They had danced until now, they could keep dancing until the end.

“Howbeit, I digress here. There is something about that battle, however, that I must point out.” Icetales opened his eyes again and flashed a bright smile. “And that’s the fact that we managed to win despite all odds. We managed to prevail over folks who had such mastery over their powers… and win. This, my dear friend, is an accomplishment by itself, dost thou not agree?”

The Ninetales gazed at the sky, his smile serene as a fresh breeze blew through his coat and made the fur glitter with Radiance and snow crystals.

“And if we could win despite looking so hopelessly outmatched, and we believed in us with our last breath and by shining with hope, then… I reckon we can defeat the odds once more. Golly, they might be called Miracle Matters, but we have our share of miracles under our hypothetical belts, too. We just… keep forgetting that.”

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Koa smiled wryly. Good old Icetales. If there was one thing ice fox knew, it was how to see the best in situation, and to always choose hope. Perhaps that was why he'd felt a kindred spirit with him. "You're right," he said, regarding Icetales fondly. They'd pulled off plenty of miracles of their own, and whatever the reasons behind the strange fight, they'd won, even when failure seemed so certain.

Of course, no small part of that was due to their amazing team work. "Of course, we couldn't have done it without everyone. Especially you." He grinned a little, his eyes lightning up as he remembered some of the combo's they'd pulled off during the fight. "You healed everyone and kept them in check and even dealt some good blows to those Miracle Matters! It was sick! You're invaluable you know. To the team." And to me. His heart stung a little at the thought, but he didn't let it show.

He'd miss having a friend like Icetales.

"Anyways, I'm glad I got to fight with the team when the world wasn't at stake." He paused, taking in the soothing sound of the waves crashing against the shore.

"So how are you doing anyway? Besides the fight I guess. It's been pretty chaotic these past weeks. Feels like we've barely spoken properly since..." Koa tilted his head, contemplating. "Spirit's Edge."

He'd been meaning to try to talk to Icetales about that, but he'd somehow never found the time. And now time was running all too short. He wanted to make sure his friend was ok before they had to leave...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom