• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Game Week of the Multiverse: Polteageist Cafe

Day 1: Reconciliations

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
The cafe was mostly empty, due to it being early in the morning. Tables of various heights were scattered around, some surrounded by stools, some having chairs, some having no seats at all. The only Pokemon in the cafe were a small Pumpkaboo drinking a drink as orange as they were, a Chespin setting an empty cup down on a table, and a Tyrogue and a Poltegeist behind a counter at the far end of the store. Near them were various boxes, one filled with cups, the others filled with berries, gummies, seeds, and leaves.

"Welcome to our cafe!" the Tyrogue said as the Lycanroc entered. "What would you like?"

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
How quaint. Cafes weren't Lee's usual place of preference, since they tend to be too crowded for his liking. Luckily, there was almost no one here, perfect for whatever the hell he got himself into.

"I'll take a coffee, if you would. Don't bother with any sugar or cream," Lee nodded, then waited for Jesse to give his order and walked over to a secluded spot, taking a seat at a table.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Jesse asked for a beer, and got declined. Instead, he took a mug of sweet tea, which he couldn't help but drop some whiskey in. He took his place at Lee's table and levelled a stern gaze at his friend.

"So, are ya gonna tell me what the fuck that was all about? Did somethin' happen betwixt the mountain and this fuckin' place to make you a federal-grade clown? Explain it t'me, Lee."

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
Lee inhaled for a moment, then sighed. A mix of anger and disappointment came off of Jesse in waves, as to be expected. It felt... bitter. In order to try and look unaffected, Lee took a sip of his drink. "Nothing happened, I simply... had a chance to get back to my normal self."

"Everything about that event, fighting for my life, needing to cooperate to survive... being powerless..." an angry growl left the wolf, and he fought back a snarl. "None of that was normal, for me. What you saw then? If what I am here is a clown, then that was the entire fucking circus."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Jesse frowned, and took an angry sip.

"So the side of you I knew, the side of you I fuckin' liked, is that still in there? Or is that gone, and this is what yer like now?"

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
Lee flinched slightly, holding his cup to his lips but not drinking anything. "The side you..."

He could taste bitterness in the back of his throat and he hissed, then finally took a drink. "The circumstances might have changed, but... I am still me. Less mentally distraught and far more functional, but all the same... Lee." Lee's eyes drifted away from Jesse, and he took another sip. The bitterness got worse.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Jesse nodded. "The mountain was fuckin awful. I'm sore glad yer feelin' better after that purgatorial escapade."

That much was very true. Not just out of general goodwill to sapientkind, but because Lee had been a friend to Jesse at all, let alone in a tough spot, and... Jesse wanted the sorry fuck to be well with himself.

"Look, I don't know what to make of this place and right now it seems like there's no reason to fret or hurry, which suits me just fine with this headache I'm nursing. But it ain't home, and yer the only thing I recognise here. The only thing I've been fuckin' glad to see."

This was at once an admission of his own fatigue, his fondness, and his disappointment. Fuck, it really was better not to care, wasn't it...

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
...but because Lee had been a friend to Jesse at all, let alone in a tough spot, and... Jesse wanted the sorry fuck to be well with himself.

"Look, I don't know what to make of this place and right now it seems like there's no reason to fret or hurry, which suits me just fine with this headache I'm nursing. But it ain't home, and yer the only thing I recognise here. The only thing I've been fuckin' glad to see."

Lee bit his tongue. He wasn't used to feeling so many... positive emotions towards him. It felt... more than unusual. But nice, in a way.

"I am... glad you made it out alright, in the end," Lee muttered, taking another sip, then a deep breath. That wasn't everything he wanted to say, but he couldn't bring himself to say it. He didn't want to risk anyone around him to hear this... show of weakness. So, he thought it, knowing full well that Jesse would still hear it.
Lee's Thoughts said:
"I would be lying if I said I wasn't happy to see you as well, more happy than I was leaving that mountain. You... there aren't a lot of creatures I know that... calm me like you do. And having you see me like that is... it wasn't ideal..."

He bit his lip, holding his cup before his lips again. "I... I'm..."
Lee's Thoughts said:
"I'm sorry..."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Jesse groaned sympathetically. "Fuck. Look, Lee, I'm not gonna ditch ya cause you made an ass of yerself one time. I'm here, ain't I?"

Just once, it'd be nice to navigate a conversation without upsetting his conversational partner. Was he really such a complete bastard that it took telepathy to barely get through normal social interaction? He could only imagine how badly he'd be fucking up without it.

"...sure y'don't want some whiskey in that coffee?"

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
Just once, it'd be nice to navigate a conversation without upsetting his conversational partner. Was he really such a complete bastard that it took telepathy to barely get through normal social interaction? He could only imagine how badly he'd be fucking up without it.

Lee shut his eyes. He felt like he should do something, but couldn't. Hades' hatred was a pleasure to experience, but Jesse's hatred was... painful. And this, this felt even worse...

"Fuck. Look, Lee, I'm not gonna ditch ya cause you made an ass of yerself one time."

"You say that now, but..." His eyes tightened, and he growled quietly. Mostly towards himself.
Thoughts of the Wolf said:
"If being like this, being normal, was easy, that little event earlier wouldn't have happened. I can't... I can't promise I won't do that again, and that I won't disappoint you again...

The drink he had wasn't helping to wash that bitter taste from his mouth, it was certainly missing something. He put his cup on the table, slowly opening his eyes and sighing. "I... wouldn't mind the whiskey, since you're offering. It's a fucking shame my tolerance for it went up after that damn mountiain," he chuckled, trying to lighten things up a bit but... failing. A moment passed, and he opened his mouth to speak, but... nothing. The words were lost in his throat.

A poor excuse explained in thought said:
"I'll be honest, I can't tell if what I did was for me or for the kid. Kora. I hate his guts, but him having everyone hate him at once... Again..."

He chuckled to himself, looking down, not even trying to face Jesse anymore. "What was I saying earlier, thinking I was still functional? I'm still... Lee..." he muttered.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Jesse poured a generous dose of whiskey into the lycanroc's mug. Judging by the guy's surface thoughts, he could not only use a drink, but could hold it. Jesse almost decided not to push, but...

"Lee," he growled. "What's yer deal with the zoroark kid, anyway?"

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
Lee didn't bother hiding the snarl this time, every time he had to think this over, he hated it even more.

"It's... a long story. A very, very, long story. Cutting it short wouldn't do it... not justice, but it wouldn't explain it clearly. Basically, I'm in debt to him, and his friends. And I fucking loathe every last one of them..." Lee hissed, clenching his fists. He took a moment to breathe and relax, then said, "And with Kora, specifically... I'll just say that he and I literally cannot live without each other."

He finally locked eyes with Jesse, not even entirely pissed. A faint sadness shone in his eyes, and his body softened as well. "It is my own personal hell... and if I'm going to be trapped in hell with that brat..." Lee sighed, shaking his head. "I might as well look out for him... Even if I want him dead."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Jesse contemplated this over a long drink of spiked tea.

"I can see that bein' a recipe fer resentment right there, partner."

He sighed in resignation. Whatever grudge Lee had built up wouldn't fade in a minute, especially if it had become... weirdly codependent.

"Try to keep a civil tongue in yer mouth at least while we're here, willya? I guess y'don't much care what folks think of you if'n yer body is as ethereal as it seems and y'got no bonds here y'care fer, but it pays t'keep some social credit in a strange land. And I ain't itchin' t'spend all of mine vouchin' fer ya if'n you don't, Lee."

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
Lee let out a sigh, taking his freshly spiced up drink and swirling it around in his cup, then downing most of it in one gulp. Whiskey and berry juiced mixed together well, it was a shame there was so little whiskey here, or alcohol in general.

"I want to say that I will keep that promise, that'll I'll keep my good behavior here. The last thing I need is... to lose more than I already have, but it's complicated," Lee said, swirling his cup again. "Frankly, if there was more alcohol readily available, it wouldn't be a problem."
Lee's Thoughts said:
"And I can't ask you to stay by my side at all times for something as... trivial as managing my behavior. I may be seen as selfish, but I'd rather not be seen as needy or clingy."

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
The Pumpkaboo hopped over towards the Lycanroc and whispered, "Don't tell anyone this, but they serve alcohol here at night."

Then they hopped back to their seat.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Oh? Interesting.

"I ain't gonna be able to keep an eye on you anyway. We're bunkin' with different fuckers, what happens when I'm not hangin' around ya is outta my paws."

Jesse shrugged, had some more of his drink.

"We'll play it by ear, then. If'n y'want to keep my fuckin' favour, you'll do yer goddamn best not to make a pest of yerself. I sorely hope that happens."

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
Lee winced, then growled and chuckled.
Wolf Thots of the brain said:
"My respect for you grants you the strangest power over me..."

"I'll try my best not to shoot myself in the foot. But, hypothetically... other than good standing with a group of strangers, what would be in it for me?" Lee asked, leaning on the table with his elbows, and resting his chin in his paws.
Literally mentally admitting that he's seen as a dick said:
"Again, I already know I'm seen as selfish. So allow me to selfishly ask, what would you grant me for my good behavior? If you were to grant me anything at all?"

It was, surprisingly, easier to play coy using his thoughts over his own words. That was probably a problem, but a problem isn't a problem if it's fun. Like drinking.

"Don't tell anyone this, but they serve alcohol here at night."
Speaking of...

Actually, while that was good news to him, Lee realized just how much he was saying out loud, and was grateful he hid most of the conversation in their thoughts. He'd have to be more careful with what he said around here, apparently. More than he already was.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Jesse raised a brow and down the rest of his mug.

"What, my fond friendship ain't enough fer ya?" he drawled.

Then, sending directly into Lee's head, {Out with it, motherfucker. What do you want from me?}

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
Lee snickered, pleased at the little reaction he managed to pull out of Jesse. He raised his cup to Jesse and downed he rest of the drink, shaking his body afterwards. "I would want nothing more than your continued friendship, partner."

Thoughts with definitely no ulterior motives said:
"Although, now that that Pumpkaboo pointed it out, I wouldn't mind coming back here for drinks every once in a while? As friends."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Sounds good t'me, Lee. Friends, then."

Jesse raised his flask to Lee and returned the gesture. It seemed they'd be seeing more of each other, so long as they were here. And Jesse...

Jesse was alright with that.

<><><><><>​

Last edited:
Top Bottom