• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon From the Ashes [2023 One-shot Contest]

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
From the Ashes

pusum-ho-oh-and-lugia.jpg

Sun and rain. Light and dark. Life and death. Everything moves in cycles. Orre was not always a barren desert, and Johto was not always Ho-oh and Lugia's home.

A tale of rebirth. Of the past, present and one day, the future.

I have been DYING to share this. Welcome to my contest entry for the 2023 one-shot contest, legendary POV! From the Ashes is a concept thats been lodged in my brain for several months now, after abruptly deciding Orre was the original home of the two legendary birds of Johto!

I won't ramble here too much, except to say I am proud of how this turned out! I had a lot of fun trying to capture the POV and language. There's a vague idea for an extended version someday, but for now have the OG version, unedited, as was submitted for the contest.

CW: discussions of death, death, moderate blood & violence

Please feel free to leave any commentary that comes to mind, both positive and negative! However I might not be doing heavy edits for now so keep that in mind. I am aware of apparent tense changes, according to other judges comments? The one in the first line 'we are Lugia and Ho-Oh' is intentional, as is the switch at the end of the story to present after the resolution.

Let me know if these don't hit stylistically. The end one in particular is meant to signify them sort of 'cacthing up' to present day but maybe this doesn't work. Any others are probably unintentional? Lmk lol, this is apparently a blind spot.
EDIT: A few minor adjustments have been made purely to smooth out tense. Let me know if you catch any though because apparently I am utterly tense blind.

See authors note at the end for additional notes.

Life

Endless desert dunes sprawled before us; an unbroken sea of sand. In the distance rocky canyons gutted the land like reefs, and a dark mountain split the horizon, smoke pouring from the mouth. Together we soared across this expanse, the winds carrying us like currents through an invisible sea.

A silver soul and a golden heart. Brother and sister, two apart and yet together we were whole. Just as east and west have no border, nor did our spirits. We were wanderers, destined to cross the lands and seas for all of time, protecting the fragile world. We were bound to no one, and we were free.

We are Lugia and Ho-Oh.

And we had no home.

This was by design, my sister believed. But in the depths of my soul, I did not agree.

~

While my sister watched the sky, I watched the land below. A movement among the dunes caught my eyes, one not caused by the ceaseless winds and shifting sands.

Humans.

My curiosity bled into my sister, but she paid the small shapes below no heed. Her voice rang as harsh as the sun above.

"The affairs of mortals are not our own."

I made no reply. We both knew words were wasted; I sensed her disdain spilling over into me. The sensation did little to dampen my curiosity. To see a human this far from any village is a rare thing indeed, especially in a desert so harsh and a land unforgiving. My desire to know more far outweighed my sister's caution and frustration. I drew near to her and I touched my forehead to hers in farewell. With a final cry, I descended to the land below.

There I gave up my divine form, and made myself appear as a simple pokemon. A useful trick to walk among mortals unseen. I could hold the form for seven revolutions of the sun, enough time to observe these humans.

"You are acting foolish," Ho-Oh chastised me through our link.

I fluffed my feathers and took a few experimental steps in my mortal body. "And you are boring."

For a single revolution of the sun, I trailed after the small group of humans, remaining unnoticed. In that time, I learned they are a small clan, fleeing some mortal war. Their leader was a man named Osiri, and he was like the ocean. Fierce and relentless, yet gentle and adaptable. His people were weary and worn from long travels with little food, and many fights with wild pokemon.

I could not help but feel drawn to them. Despite their troubles, their spirits remained unyielding, Osiri's in particular. In the face of all the trials the desert produced, they did not fear, nor did they seek to turn back to the land they came from.

That night, as they assembled their tiny camp to ward off the desert chill, I drew nearer to them still. But curiosity, like any good thing, is dangerous when taken too far. And in my curiosity, I had grown careless. So fixated was I on the humans, I failed to see.

Perhaps had I been truly mortal, I would have noticed the signs. The unnatural curve of the sand sloping downward, the faintest shine of dark eyes, scales that were a shade off from the rest of the sand. I realized too late.

The sand around me erupted. Three sandile surged out, razor teeth and claws lacerating the skin of my mortal body with horrifying ease. Primal fear rose within me, swallowing me, drowning me in its icy embrace. In that moment I felt the chill of death breathing upon me. To die here would mean spending an eternity's moment in Yveltal's embrace while my body healed. Hundreds of years separated from the living world and my sister.

In despair I cried out for her and sensed her response, but I knew she had gone to the far edges of the desert. She would not arrive in time. Brown scales flashed in the corner of my vision. I reacted, too slow, too unused to this mortal body. Jaws close around my neck and I close my eyes and await my fate.

A terrible roar split the night and the jaws of death were torn asunder. As the sandile retreated, I turned to see my savior, a majestic Flygon, and by its side, a human wielder. Osiri.

Osiri brought me back to camp. Wounded as I was, I could not fight back, or return to my true form. There, he took me into his own tent, tended to me from food he could scarcely spare and with his own medicine. In all his ministrations, not once did he or his Flygon hesitate.

It was then my sister reached out to me, her presence hidden high overhead. "Shall I raze their pathetic encampment and free you, brother?"

"No. They are helping me. I will remain with them while I gather my strength and rejoin you later."

I sensed her disquiet and unease, rolling off her like turbulent waves. "... Very well."

For six cycles of the sun, I remained with the humans. Though they had little, they were generous. They protected one another, shared their burdens, and their supplies. The strong cared for the weak, and the wise led the strong. During the times they were not traveling, they battled together, growing stronger in mind and body, and bonding with their partners. In doing so, these wanderers understood each other innately, almost like pokemon.

On the seventh revolution of the sun, I revealed myself, casting off my mortal bindings and once again assuming my divine form.

At first, they cowered in fear, wondering if I sought to smite them. Humans were aware of our kind, pokemon spoken of in legend who possessed power and dominion far beyond any mortal. But they knew little of us, and ignorance so easily breeds fear. Only Osiri and his Flygon did not cower, and faced me with spirits unyielding. As ready to protect as they were to extend a branch of peace.

I eased their fears, and explained to them I meant no harm. Much the opposite. My soul was moved by their kindness and their plight, and I sought to help them in some way. So I approached Osiri, and I offered my power, and I asked him, "I can grant you one blessing within my power. Ask, and if it is within me, it will be yours."

I expected Osiri to request knowledge, or perhaps human wealth, or even power. An eternal blessing for his lineage.

Instead, he bowed before me. "I would ask of you only a small favor, not for my sake but my kin. Just a morsel of water, so we may quench our thirst, and ease the burden on our water pokemon. If it would not trouble you."

"Is that all?" I cannot help but chuckle, even as a warmth filled my soul. Faced with a god before him, Osiri's spirit remained pure and unselfish. He could have asked me for anything, and I think I might have given it to him, so fascinated was I by him. Yet all he asked for was a grain of sand in the desert of my power.

Then I would give him the desert.

"I can give you much more than that, young one."

Filled with resolve, I rose into the sky.

My sister, still unseen high above, spoke. "Surely you are not going to do this."

"These are good humans. Good pokemon," I insisted.

Her words were hot and harsh, like dying embers stoked. "No. They are mortals. Mortals are cruel and cause war and strife. They do not deserve anything."

"We should not turn our backs on hope."

"Do as you will, I shall take no part in this."

My sister's disdain did little to dissuade me. Osiri would not ask much of me, but I could give him and his people far more than simple temporary things.

I soared high above the flattest stretch of desert, an area marked by cracked bedrock and salt flats, an endless wasteland among wastelands.

Groudon forgive me, I thought wryly.

Reaching within me, I drew upon every ounce my power. Deep, deep under the earth, locked beneath the bedrock, I found what I sought. Swirling chasms of water churned below the sands and salt flats. With a mighty swell of psychic strength, I tore the earth asunder, calling for the sea.

It answered, water surging forth, filling the dead plains with new life. As my power drained away, the waters came to life, currents formed, and the land awoke. I did not stop until I had drained almost all my strength to stabilize the creation.

And I looked upon my work, I knew it was good.

My gift to them would be the sea.

They did not waste my gift. They worked hard and tirelessly, day after day, week after week. I was amazed by the speed at which humans moved, the ways in which they innovated and created, things which even we legends could not have conceived of. I suspected even the Original One would have been surprised by them.

Pokemon flourished, and humans thrived. With my gift, new life filled the waters, and the people of the land found a place they could call a home. They already possessed means to transform the salted waters to fresh, and swiftly found they could harvest the bedrock and rich clay in the canyons to build.

There, on the very shores of the sea I gave them, they built their first settlement, a small village. And as time passed, the village grew, and the people did as well. The sun circled endlessly, and in that time, as I regained my strength from calling the sea, I watched them grow, their spirits growing stronger, their hope never waning. Under Osiri's guidance, the village blossomed into a shining town.

On the anniversary of its formation, Osiri called out to me. I answered, rising from the depths.

"You have given us the sea, so we will give you back something. Every year we wish to honor you for what you did."

So he gave me two gifts; the first fruits of their harvest and a grand dais in the center of the town. It was a massive perch carved from a single stone, inlaid with fine jewels and delicate reliefs chronicling their journey here and our meeting.

All of me sought to deny their gift, for I had not given to receive. But as I gazed upon the people, I saw their earnest souls, pure and true. To reject it would be crueler than accepting it, so I did, resting myself upon the perch as the humans celebrated their new home with song and feast. With the strength from their generous gift, I also gave them back a blessing of good tides and harmonious weather.

After the blessing was given, I gave a second and final gift. A single scale of mine, which I bestowed upon Osiri. "You have proven yourself pure of soul. This will be a symbol of my blessing to you, and our bond. It will keep you safe and strengthen your spirit."

Every year after, the people gathered and threw a grand festival, and gave the first of their harvest to me, and I would give a blessing of the sea to them. And for the first time in many seasons, I discovered a new kind of happiness.

XXX​

This was not my home.

We were meant to be wanderers, carried by wind and warmth, sailing the skies eternally. Free. Yet my brother was captivated by these mortal creatures. Captured by them. I could not share this fascination, for my heart belonged to the sky alone, to the sun and the winds. We were meant for liberty, unshackled by needless ties. But I could not leave my kin, for without him, I would be alone in this world.

So I remained, but I secluded myself far from the sea in a volcano at the edge of the land. Every year, I watched my brother go to their fragile human nesting site for their silly festival. Why he indulged them was beyond me.

Perhaps the humans' fancy structures held a certain beauty, and perhaps their little town displayed some creativity, but it was fleeting. Meaningless. A single storm from Kyogre or rend of the earth from Groudon could smite it in an instant. How could that be worth building?

Nevertheless, my brother needed me. Every winter at their festival, he expended a great deal of energy to bless the little mortals. If I did not protect him he would surely destroy himself in the process, and I shared some of my essence to restore him. So I remained.

Still, I was bored. And boredom was its own special kind of agony. I did not wish to stay, yet I could not bear to leave. My wings yearned for new skies and freedom. Many summers passed by in monotony. I took flights around my volcanic home, but otherwise remained in seclusion, content to be far from the humans.

Until a most curious thing happened.

As I rested within the volcano, something approached me from the peak. A human, and his pokemon. Humans are quite skittish things, so I cried out with a terrible shriek to drive it off. The human did not run. In fact, it gave a battle cry of its own, and called forth its pokemon partner, Flygon.

For the first time in many seasons, something burned away my boredom in favor of something much more pleasant. Surprise. The human fought me, displaying more grace and cunning than I expected. Though my power far surpassed their own, I found myself drawn into the battle. The dance of wills, the way their hearts became one in battle. There was beauty in it.

All too soon the fire of battle died, their valiant pokemon exhausted. In a heartbeat, I healed both pokemon and wielder. I wished to meet the one whose spirit burned so bright, and to face him again. He introduced himself as Osiri.

Perhaps my brother was not as foolish as I believed.

Osiri departed with his partner, but returned the very next cycle of the sun to challenge me. And again, and again, they came and challenged me. No more did I lapse into boredom, for I found myself looking forward to our meetings. Eventually, Osiri began to bring different humans, and I would challenge them as well.

Lugia informed me that my volcanic home had been given a nickname because of me - Mt. Battle. I found the name a bit dry for my taste, but that was humans for you I supposed. Yet, I felt oddly pleased as well.

The humans built a small nest at the base of my home, and I could not help but find myself drawn to it. Humans had a way of working with the land that even the most skilled pokemon could not match. Truly, they were a gifted species in their own right, if you liked that sort of thing.

The first passing of the seasons after Osiri challenged me, the humans called me from my home with a grand song. There I found a perch, much like the one carved for my brother, built in my honor, along with an offering.

Frustration burned within me. I demanded answers. I had no need of mortal offerings, and I was well capable of finding my own food. I did not want any fancy trappings or need their worship in return.

Osiri quelled my annoyance. "It is not a matter of need, Ho-Oh. It is gratitude. My people were happy, but we grew bored. You granted us the honor of combat, and for that we wished to thank you. Please, to refuse would devastate my kin."

Every part of me desired to reject it, but I knew I could not. Or would not. The thought of hurting Osiri and his kin saddened me too greatly. So I relented. But to ensure fairness, I gave them something in exchange. A portion of my divine power, a blessing of fair winds and bountiful harvests for the next season.

So it became that every summer I descended from the volcano and they threw their festival, and I blessed them, not because of what they gave me, but because I wanted to give them something. To help them. Even if their little village was small, and fragile. Even if the mortals were weak and frail.

By our combined efforts, the little patch of desert flourished beyond anything we could have foreseen. The people and their pokemon developed a harmony stronger than any I or my brother had witnessed in our flights through other lands. As time passed, some of pokemon's unique gifts even rubbed off on their human friends, a phenomenon quite rare indeed.

For the first time, my heart did not long to leave and follow the wind. And I sensed too, my brother's soul had found peace.

And so Osiri had given us our greatest gift - a home.

One hundred summers passed. In that time, Osiri grew as close to us as kin. He had children of his own as well, and his children had children. The land bloomed.

But time is a cruel ruler to mortals.

His spirit remained strong, but his body—as every mortals' did—began to fail. No longer did he dance with his kin during the festivals, and less and less did he make the pilgrimage to my mountain home for our battles or visit the sea to commune with my brother.

One day, as winter turned to spring, Osiri called to us.

"My dear friends. My time draws near. Yveltal has turned his gaze upon me. I will not see the next Festival of the Silver Tide or Rainbow Harvest."

My brother bowed his head and nodded. Accepted it. Like a coward.

I was no coward. "No, Osiri. Let me help you. With my energy, I can save you. I can spare you from the talons of death. To grant you a decade, even a century more would take only a small fraction of my power."

Osiri shook his head. "Thank you. But I would not ask such a thing of you, nor do I desire it. It would bring me no peace to take such a gift. Us humans are not meant to walk this world forever. I have lived well, and that is all I could ask for."

Anger flared in me. "What of your people then? Who will guide them?"

"I have already appointed others in my place," he said gently.

The flame inside me burned even hotter. "Then your kin?" I demanded. "What of your children, and their children!"

Osiri gave a soft chuckle, only fueling the flames of my frustration. How could he not be more upset? Did he not care?

"My children have grown old, and their children have flourished. They have made peace with the cycle we abide by. And my dear Flygon has crossed the threshold, and I wish to join him."

"And what about me?" The words exploded from me before I could contain them. Osiri's shoulders slumped and he broke his gaze upon me. I could sense the pain in his heart and I knew my words wounded him. But my anger burned brighter than my sympathy.

He reached out a hand to me. "Please. Would you not permit me the kindness of a peaceful death?"

"No!" I spat out the words like embers. "You don't deserve to die! If you were my friend you wouldn't do this to me."

Lugia growled. "Ho-Oh." A chill rippled through the air.

I ignored him and fixed my gaze upon Osiri. "Osiri."

He gave no response.

I whipped around and flared my wings at Lugia. "You are cowards! To accept death blindly, without remorse. Do you have no fighting spirit?"

The spines on my brother's back rattled and his eyes glinted like chips of ice in a frosted sea. "I see only one coward before me, who truly fears death."

The words pierced my heart and I flinched, and my brother flinched as well, pain and guilt melding between us. I spread my wings and gave a final glance to Osiri. "When you change your mind, you know where to find me."

Then I departed.

Cutting myself off from Lugia was impossible, we were linked too close, but I was able to dampen his presence. I secluded myself in the depths of the volcano, and waited. Waited for Osiri to understand. Waited for him to change his mind, to seek me out. To accept my gift.

He never came.

"Osiri is dead." Lugia landed on the mouth of my volcano. His soul churned endlessly and restlessly. His gaze was sharp. Angry. Grieving.

Perhaps my brother expected me to feel sad, as he did. The only thing I felt was burning, blazing anger. The lava stirred and churned, and the heat in the inner chamber increased to a level almost unbearable for any not gifted with inner fire. "Osiri was a fool. He brought this upon himself." Why should I be sad? "He had his chance and he rejected it."

Lugia said nothing, simply watching me, for a long time. I tried to mute the emotions and sensations from our bond, I could still feel them lapping at my mind. I could still sense the pain within him. Sparks crackled through my feathers. Did he mean to stare at me forever? "I warned you. We should never have interfered with mortal affairs."

"Then let us take our leave." Lugia's challenge crashed over me like a wave, but I pushed aside the panic that rose within me. His own emotions receded like the tide, and I couldn't read him. "We shall take to the wind and seas once more, leave this land to its devices. There is no longer anything for us here."

Our gazes met. The volcano's heat stirred my feathers. He stood stiff and defiant, unyielding. Finally, I shook my head. "No." My heart twisted and the fire within me smoldered. "I would like to remain for now. At least until the next festival. To ensure the people receive the blessing. Then we shall leave."

Lugia narrowed his eyes, but said nothing. With a flap of his wings, he rose skyward and flew away.

The festival in my honor came and went, and Lugia's did as well. Once, I stood at the lip of the volcano, wings spread, wind caressing my feathers. I thought about leaving again. Yet I could not. Osiri or not, everything in the land reminded me of him. I could not turn my back on it yet. Even if everything I saw only hurt me more.

More festivals came and went, so many I did not count. We continued to bless the land, though lately it seemed the people hardly needed it, for they were as skilled and proficient as ever, and the land only grew stronger under their care. An anger still burned within me. Lugia and I still communed, yet it always felt as if a fog had fallen between us; one I could not penetrate. Or perhaps, did not wish to. I was no longer sure if I could tell.

Perhaps if my vision had not been so clouded, I would have foreseen what came next.

XXX​

Almost one hundred more mortal years passed. One hundred celebrations of the Festival of the Silver Tide. I befriended a few of the mortals, but none quite so closely as Osiri, though I would often speak with his descendants, and his descendants' descendants. Fewer and fewer over the years, but the mortals nonetheless appreciated our presence.

In the times I was not with humans or my sister, I occupied myself in the ocean's depths, resting. My soul had been uneasy as of late, turbulent. I never believed such a thing was possible, yet my bond with my sister felt weak, merely a trickle of what it once was. Perhaps she still resented me for not convincing Osiri to accept her offer. His death was still so fresh and recent to us.

Maybe after her upcoming festival I would see if she wanted to leave. Maybe the horizon could bring her peace. Then we could be whole again.

On the day of the festival, Ho-Oh descended from the sky to greet the humans, while I watched from a distance, my thoughts a ceaseless whirlpool. Just as every year, she landed gracefully upon the perch set before her. As every year, the humans came forward with their offering. And just as every year, they played their ceremonial song in her honor.

The song wove through the air, calming my worries. We were both saddened by the death of Osiri. Perhaps she simply needed gentleness instead of my scorn. As the last notes of the song drifted into the wind, my heart was decided. After the ceremony, I would make things right with my sister. And we would leave together.

Something sliced through my chest and I screamed. My head whipped downward as a horrible pain pierced my heart. Searing agony blotted out conscious thought. Blood, I expected to see trails of indigo blood pouring from a wound on my chest. Yet when I looked, there I saw nothing.

My chest, unblemished. No wound to be seen. Yet even in my haze, I could still feel the pain, the strength slipping away from me, my vision swimming. What—

Then I saw. Far below, splayed across her own dais of honor, chest stained dark with blood and a gaping hole in her heart.

My sister.

Our eyes locked, her gaze burning with fear and rage and confusion. I felt it, clear as the skies above, like a flame blazing to life, our connection strong again for a single horrible moment.

Pain burned out all conscious thought. Primal fear swallowed my being as my heart thumped erratically in my ears, blood pumping from my chest, filling my lungs. Despair. The drumming within me grew weaker, my heart tearing weakly in my chest, a gaping wound I could not heal from, blurring turmoil and a strangled cry for help—

And then I died.

I howled, my voice tearing the sky, the winds roaring around me. Black clouds swallowed everything above and lightning split the air. The void of a hurricane's eye opened within me, an endless pit of emptiness where my sister's presence once resided, a half of me ripped away.

Rage, horror and grief drowned and took hold of me, beams of devastating energy gouged the world as I laid waste to everything.

Pokemon, masses of them, rose up against me with their humans, empowered by their auras. In the turmoil of my mind, I understood too late. The mortals whom I had loved and given my all to now sought to end my life, as they had already.

Attacks struck me and glanced off, no more than an ember to the ocean or a drop of water to a wildfire. None of them meant anything to me. Vengeance and justice for my sister would be mine. But these were mere ants. I sought the queen.

One among the mortals, dressed differently, and stronger than the others. Her aura flared with uncommon power, as she commanded the other humans and pokemon.

Wind bent to my will as energy surged from my maw, razing the land around her and cutting her off. With barely a speck of my power I smashed her to the earth as I landed. My mind tore hers open as I cried out with fury like lightning. "Explain."

Even in her agony, she was defiant. Arrogant. Hates oozed from her soul like poison. "Kill me, it matters not, now. We have our freedom. We won."

"Freedom?" I made no effort to restrain the might of my psychic fury.

"You legendaries... We give you the best of our best but we're tired of living under your rule, beholden to your desires. This is our land. We refuse to rely on the whims of petty gods to supplant us any longer." She hissed out the words, triumphant. Happy.

I looked up from the fire around us, and I saw now, the truth I was blind to. Darkness, running through so many humans, even as a few innocent ones try to resist. The people I loved are not my people any longer, and have not been for a long time. Chilling rage pooled in the hole in my heart. I turned my gaze back upon the human. She did not cower before me or flinch.

"You see? We have already won. Even if you kill me we will never serve you again. You will never have what belongs to us. I am but one of many. We are free."

I narrowed my gaze disdainfully. "Then so be it." She did not speak again. Yveltal could have her.

Many of her ilk fled the area, but I knew they would be back. Those innocent, a disturbingly small number, seemed to have hidden themselves for now. The ones who remained to try to fight me never rise again. But there are many. So many, darkness in their souls, bitterness and greed and everything I did not see, because I did not look. Because I believed. Because I hoped.

I destroyed it all. I struck it down and chilled the land and scourged it with lightning and ice and flame.

When every living soul had fled or was gone, I was free to land beside the lifeless body of my sister. There I found a final, terrible blow. Buried in her heart was a single white scale. The very gift I granted Osiri so long ago.

I had killed my sister. For what else could be strong enough to kill a god as ourselves?

The winds howled and wailed through the now empty remains of the town, and after a moment I realized the wailing was my own, the sounds of my grief. I bowed and gently pressed my head against my sister's one last time. She was cold now, as cold as the stone of her perch, stained with her blood and dripping into the sand. Her spirit was gone, far beyond my reach.

Weeping, I gathered her lifeless body and brought her to Mt. Battle, and returned her to the flames within. Once the last vestige of her has been taken by the lava, I departed.

Anger boiled within me, a primal rage cold and white hot and burning eternally, as the skies and seas bend to my will and become a turbulent storm. All those who rose against me were razed. Those who were innocent, I spared. It was a small number. It was only as I glided listlessly across the empty desert that I felt the pain, and I realized the attacks I ignored from the humans had hurt me. To recover would take time.

Still I am consumed, alone, a half of a whole, a fragment without meaning. A shell.

So with the last of my power, I took back my gift. I drew upon all my strength, and I pulled back the waters, locked them beneath the earth again, until endless salt flats were all that remained.

Then I sank into the distant water, and I mourned.

Death

I awakened alone. Swirling, impenetrable gray mists surrounded me, broken by indistinct shapes that shifted and changed with the wind. The land had no true discernible form, only phantoms of trees and mountains. Though I had never laid eyes upon it myself, I knew without a shadow of a doubt where I was.

Yveltal's Embrace.

I was dead.

And I was alone.

For the first time in all my life, I knew solitude. A hole that ran far deeper than the one in my chest. The chasm that separated me from my brother was an impenetrable wall of gray, severing us in half. The link that I knew my whole life, the link that was my whole life, was gone.

My heart burned, aching with the memory of the blow that struck me down. That glint of shimmering silver-white. The price of his belief and my love. The very gift given to Osiri by my brother so long ago. Even longer still is the time until my physical body is healed. Until I will see my brother again.

For the first time I noticed my face and neck were damp. The tears didn't sizzle away, and I realized that I was cold. All my life I had known warmth, even in the harshest of winters. I was Ho-Oh of the Eternal Flame. Now I was nothing.

I bowed my head and I wept.

After a time, I sensed a presence, though it did not seem possible to track the passage of time here.

Turning about, I sought out the presence. The mists receded. Upon a gnarled tree rested a jagged crimson and black avian, eyes like cold flames and a neck ringed in pure white. He dipped his head. "Greetings, Ho-Oh." His voice was strange. Raspy, as if unused, yet with a tone of regality. I couldn't help but note how my name rolled off his tongue oddly.

"Yveltal." I spat the word, a spark of something forming inside me. I studied him but could not read his impassive face and stoic body. My talons dug into the nothingness beneath me.

He regarded me with frustrating calmness, his eyes free of any anger. He was studying me. "You should not be here." Despite his matter of fact tone, there was a sadness to his voice. A sorrow that rankled my feathers. As if I needed Death's pity. After everything he'd done.

"The Eternal Flame should not have been snuffed out? Truly a stunning conclusion to come to." My voice was drier than the desert I left behind.

A ripple passed through his feathers and his eyes seemed to harden before they softened again. "It was not meant to upset you. Forgive me."

Never. "Have you only come to speak nonsense, or is there a purpose to your presence, oh gracious Lord of Death?"

"Only to offer my-" he hesitated. "An affirmation. I regret that we must meet under such circumstances. One such as yourself did not deserve to come to these lands as you did, not after all you gave."

A tiny flicker of curiosity shined past my annoyance. "All I gave?" I studied him closer. Until this moment, my only knowledge of him was by name and purpose, never face to face. "What do you know of what I gave?"

Yveltal flew down and approached slowly, dipping his head as he passed me. Now at ground-level, I could see he stood taller than me, if only by a margin.

Once next to me, he stretched out a wing. With a graceful motion, he dispelled the mists around us, revealing a shimmering pool of water. The reflection rippled, distorting the image of the two of us, before warping into a familiar sight.

My former home.

The city I once loved, burned; a broken, stained dais, all that remained. Golden blood, my life and my love, everything I sacrificed year after year, draining into the sands. The few people and pokemon not slain by their kin wept in anguish and cried out in anger. I could not tear my gaze from the site of my death.

It was not until Yveltal spoke again that I was jarred from my trance.

"I often watch the mortal lands as part of my duties. And to observe the way you and your brother transformed the people of the land was a beautiful sight to behold."

"And what good is that beauty now?" I turned upon him, eyes blazing. "Everything we gave was for nothing."

"Not for nothing—"

I flared my wings and took a step towards him. "Do not speak as if you understand anything of what transpired. Just because you watched means nothing."

"I understand enough to see the truth," he said coldly.

"Truth? The only truth is we made a mistake giving mortals a chance in the first place. I have no need for your meaningless observations."

The mists thickened, and the air grew heavy. Tilting my beak upwards I continued to glare at him. There was no more to fear from him here. Now I could see the anger in him, the fluffed feathers and the disgusting smug look. Yet beneath that, a sense of... disappointment? Self-righteous bastard.

"Enjoy your eternal solitude." Yveltal turned and spread his wings, then vanished into the mists.

I watched him go, a chill swallowing me. No longer could I see the tree or the pool, only gray again. My feathers deflated and I was struck suddenly by the all consuming silence. I didn't like it.

Solitude gives me time with my thoughts. Too much time. Death took everything from me, but directing my anger at it was pointless now. For however long I was to be here, I do not find myself wanting to spend it in this terrible silence.

Restlessly, I soared through the mists with no purpose or reason, if only to occupy myself and hear the sound of my own wings. In time, another pair of wing beats joined my own. Wordlessly, I glided alongside Yveltal.

Apparently, it was I who had to break the silence. "Perhaps it was harsh to rebuke your thoughts so... hastily." Even if you deserved it. I turned to study him as we flew.

"So I see you finally sickened of your solitude." His voice was sharp and cutting now, lacking the gentleness from before. "Has the eternal flame finally burned itself out?"

In a second, my anger rekindled. "This is what I get for apologizing to death," I snarled. "I see you only sought me out to preen once more, mighty one."

Infuriatingly he did not flinch, or rise to anger. "I expected too much of you."

Heat flared across my body and red swirled through my vision. How dare death mock me on top of all he'd done? The embers of my annoyance blazed to life as I confronted him. "I have nothing to apologize for. It is you who owe me one!"

Scorn bled into his eyes as he turned upon me. "For what?"

The fires within me shifted from orange anger to white hot rage. "For taking everything from me! My home burns because of you. My brother grieves because of you. You snatched Osiri from me, took his life in your talons and killed him."

Yveltal shrieked, a horrible rising cry that drew the breath from my lungs and sucked the air from the very world itself. A pervading chill seeped down to my very bones. Words failed me like a sputtering candle, and my body betrayed me, my feathers wilting as I drew my head in and cowered.

His wings, spread out, seemed to swallow all that was around me. Darkness rose up in the mist until red and black were all that remained, and icy blue. His words pierced like a dagger into my chest, lodging into my lungs. "I am the god of death. Not of killing." His body screamed anger; spread wings and flared feathers, talons tearing at the ground. "Do not dare to think for a moment you know of my duty."

I could bear it no longer, and tore my eyes away from his gaze, the color gone from me. The air returned to normal and he folded his wings, a strange spark in his gaze. I felt his eyes lingering on me. Waiting.

I turned away before he could, spreading my wings and flying away.

Much time passed, time I spent alone. Solitude was agony, deeper than I could bear. My heart burned with resentment and roared with loneliness. Death to a divine is not as to a mortal. There are no other spirits in the realm. I am the only legend to have died, the only one foolish enough to have loved a mortal enough to bring such a fate upon myself.

The black pit in my heart grew as my thoughts turned to Osiri. Did he remember me with regret and disappointment? Perhaps he hated me for turning my back on him in his last hours. If he had simply accepted my offer I would not be here, alone. And if I had remained with him in the end, he would not have been alone.

The last ember of anger in me died out and my wings faltered. I sank to the ground as a keening cry escaped my beak. And as the weight of my loneliness dawned upon me I found myself wondering a strange thought.

Can Death feel lonely too?

When I flew again, I told myself it was to give myself something to do. But I knew in my heart what I was seeking. A part of me hoped for the rest of my time here, I would simply endure being alone, and then return to my brother so we could depart for a new land. The rest of me longed for peace.

Familiar crimson graced me after what felt like another eternity. I cannot ignore the way my heart soared at the sight. The air between us rippled and thickened with tension. Caution replaced the kindness of the first time he greeted me, along with a cool anger.

I landed, steadying myself on the formless earth. My eyes met his and I bowed my head. "I am sorry." A flicker of surprise ran through him and he tipped his head. I continued. "For so long I was angry, and when I saw you... I saw him."

When Yveltal spoke, his voice was like a gentle caress. "Osiri."

I flinched at his name, and hung my head. "I convinced myself he rejected me and you took him from me. But I turned my back on him. When he needed me most, I was not there. It was I who turned my back on him."

He didn't speak, as if sensing I am not done.

"I'm sorry for being so cruel to you. You came to me to try and offer companionship and I gave you anger instead."

Instead of a rebuke, he drew alongside me, pressing his body against my own in a gesture of comfort. "I am sorry as well. In truth, a part of me envied you. To walk among mortals, to be loved and celebrated. Even though I understand it is not my place, I have found myself wishing to experience such a gift. To see you reject it stung me."

My heart lurched. I'd spent so long dwelling on the pain Osiri's loss brought, I had forgotten his love. The home he gave me. His gift. And I had not considered how it would feel to never have known such love.

Yveltal continued, his voice low and gentle. "Anger is a terrible thing. And the guilt it brings is a heavy burden, and I would not wish that fate on anyone. But you must not allow yourself to be consumed. If you cannot move past the darkness it will define you."

"Then what am I to do?"

"You must let it die. If it dies, you can move on, and you can grow. But as long as it lives it will have a hold over you."

"What if the pain is all I am now? What happens when it dies?"

"Then? You are reborn."

Time passed, and my sole companion amongst the mists was Yveltal. Though he was occasionally away, tending to his duties in some way, he always returned. In our times together, we observed the mortal world.

In the aftermath of my death, my land transformed. The earth has a curious way of remembering the deeds committed upon it. The blood of my betrayal stained the sands and poisoned it to its very core. It cast a deep shadow over the hearts of wild pokemon, blackening them and shutting them off to all but their pain.

Though the humans were not changed the same way, as they did not have the same connection to the land, the poison ate at them nonetheless, little by little. Pokemon and humans began to leave and in time, all that remained of the home I knew was a barren wasteland, devoid of color. A place no pokemon could survive, and no human could live. Even my brother was powerless against these shadows.

So it remained, for hundreds upon hundreds of seasons; until I lost count.

At least I was not alone as I watched. Yveltal brushed his head against my neck.

I turned to him, searching yet dreading to ask. "Can it ever be whole again?"

"Yes. But it will require hope."

I could not help but snort in amusement. "Hope? Hope brought us here."

"That is not all it did. Before the sea and before the blessings you and your brother gave, and before Osiri, the land had nothing. You gave it life."

I tipped my head, studying him. "All we gave was a few simple blessings... the humans did everything, and destroyed everything."

Yveltal's gaze is distant as he speaks, yet smoldering with an admirable intensity. "To hope... it is more than an empty feeling or some paltry wish. Your brother sought a future where humans and pokemons could live in peace, so he gave them the sea. You opened your heart to Osiri, and the people became strong because of their time battling you." He turned, fixing his eyes on me.

"As long as you are willing to believe and act on the future you seek, there is your hope."

Death ended too quickly.

A thousand conversations together were but an instant, forever stamped on my memory. All the time we spent together still felt like only a brief moment to me, and I found a part of me wishing I could remain in his company.

Yet my heart yearned to return to the blue skies and the familiar winds of the mortal world.

We perched side by side on the edge of a misty volcano, gazing into its maw. Gray swirled below me, an impenetrable fog, but at its center pulsed a scarlet glow. A barrier between this world and my own. The way back to the mortal world, now open to me.

I turned, running my beak through his feathers, preening him as we are accustomed to. He returned the gesture, and for a moment, we savored the silence and company.

"There is something I need to tell you before you go."

I listened, ignoring the way my heart started to race.

"Osiri does not hate you."

My heart skipped a beat and I turned to him in surprise. Oddly, until now, it never occurred to me to ask him about Osiri. Or perhaps I had been afraid to.

"He loved you as his own kin, until the end. And he would want you to know that he understands your anger. Everything you needed to say, you told him without speaking aloud. He forgives you."

It had been a long time since I had cried, but I could not hold back the tears any longer.

With his final words, Yveltal had given me back something I hadn't realized I'd lost. Words felt like a paltry expression for the feeling I wished to express. So instead, I said nothing, leaning closer to him as we spent our final moments together.

Rebirth

Lava. Surging past me as I soared upward, bursting forth and free from the maw of Mt. Battle, my cry filling the skies as I proclaimed my return. As I crossed the threshold between the land of mortal and the land of spirit, a wave of emotions overwhelmed me, a burning torrent tearing open my chest and setting every feather alight.

My consciousness slipped away and I found myself drowning, buried beneath a thousand tons of ocean and watching myself through the eyes of my brother, body splayed across the sand.

Anger and a horrible primal fear as I lay there, my blood pouring from my own chest— A strangled cry escaped my beak as memory after memory bled through me until the boundary between reality and past and my brother's emotions threatened to sweep me away.

"Ho-Oh."

His voice drew me from the depths and I found myself opening my eyes, not even aware I had closed them. My wings were limp but I was airborne, and I recognized the telltale blue shine of a psychic hold keeping me from plummeting to the ground below.

"Lugia." To speak his name again felt like the first wind of spring, pure and blissful. He hovered before me, eyes shining with iridescent tears. The wind gathered under my wings and my heart stirred. I leaned forwards, pressing my forehead against the cool scales of his own forehead.

Finally, we are whole again.

As one, we danced through the skies, and for a moment, I was free. I was happy.

The feeling didn't last. I saw our home below, ravaged, and my brother's shame washed over me. No life remained, only gray and shadow, my blood a poison that tarnished the very core of the land.

"You were right, Ho-Oh," my brother said. He banked, setting his sights on the distant horizon, his back to the sea. "It's time for us to go. I only wish I'd seen the truth earlier."

I didn't follow. I wanted to. I longed to go, to leave behind the glass burned sands and frosted canyons, and the lava scorched slopes of the volcano. But I think of Osiri and all the humans we did help, and of Yveltal.

"No."

Lugia stopped and turned.

"You were right. To be curious, to believe in a better future and to try to help."

"But what can we do? There is nothing left for us," Lugia said softly. "The curse runs deep, and will not be forgotten. It cannot be undone. Life has left this place, even wild pokemon will not stay."

I gazed out upon the land which we once called home. "You're right, we can't fix it now. But we can still choose hope."

Lugia stared at me, puzzled. "Choose hope?"

I sensed him probing for answers, but I kept my thoughts hidden. The words I wanted to say, I wished to speak out loud. It was the only way to make them real.

"We can't save the land if we believe it is lost. To do nothing is to doom it, but I desire to see the sea return and the shadows repelled." My heart grew heavy with every word I spoke, until it was almost leaden in my chest. "You once gifted Osiri the sea. Now I will give my own gift."

"Ho-Oh..."

"A divine bestowment."

My brother recoiled sharply and I forced myself not to block his shock and fear. It washed over me, pulled at me, begged me to change my mind. But my heart was already set. If I channeled all my energy into the land, I could heal some of it. Repel the shadows. Enough of it that the future would have a chance. Even if it meant more separation, and perhaps cost my divinity.

Unflinching, I met his gaze. "I am sorry, so very sorry. But I have to do this."

"Why? For what?" Lugia asked.

"For who," I replied softly. "Osiri. I refused to accept his death, and my last act in his life was to hurt him. I want to do good. No matter the cost."

The clouds overhead became gray, and a few raindrops fell across my feathers, then vanished with a sizzle.

"But why? Haven't you already given enough?"

"This land was barren once. You chose to believe in a human. And in return, he brought life. He gave us a home, and he gave us love. Then the ones who called this home turned their backs on us, and stole my life. But as cruel as those humans were, if we believe all are as them, then we are giving up. My first life was taken from me, but my second I can give freely."

As I continued, I locked eyes with him. "If I give my life for this land by choice, I can give it a chance to be whole again. Not now but... in time."

Lugia gazed out across the horizon, and I could not read his thoughts. "I hated them for what they did to you. For nothing. No reason other than falsities they placed upon themselves. Am I to watch you die for them again?"

"There cannot be change without death." I drew close to my brother, and brushed my wing against his. "I am not dying for the ones who slayed me, but for the future. If our home is to one day be reborn, this is the only way."

He turned to me, his eyes blazing. "Then I shall give my own blessing as well. Even weakened as I am, with both of us bearing the burden, perhaps it will not take our lives. And perhaps one day, we may see the seas return and the land whole again."

I could not argue with him. His mind was as set as mine, our hearts and souls resolute. For this, we would give all we could.

In the end, we did not lose our life, though we drew so near to death I imagined I saw a familiar flash of crimson and black, and a watchful cyan gaze. Thank you, I whispered in my heart.

Hope cannot undo the damage done. It cannot bring back the wild pokemon or rewind the scales of time; nor can it burn the shadows from the land. But it can bring color. It can spark a fire, a blazing carpet of green on the slopes of the very volcano my body was once laid to rest. It can raise up a forest where only rock once stood, and it can bring a tiny flicker of life back to the land.

It cannot make right the wrong, but it can give a second chance.

Golden desert dunes sprawl before us; a tapestry of shining sand. In the distance, a scarlet-mouthed volcano looms over copper canyons carving through the land. A river of azure water weaves through the emerald slopes to the west. Together we soar across this expanse, the winds carrying us into the rising sun.

A golden heart and a silver soul. Sister and brother, two apart and yet together we are whole. Just as east and west have no border, nor do our spirits. For now, we are wanderers again, bound to guide the hearts and souls of mortals.

We are Ho-Oh and Lugia.

And we have no home.

But one day, we will.

I figured I'll address a couple common worldbuilding/story stuff real quick for further reviews.

Feel free to continue to give any advice in how to clarify the following in a concise way, if you feel the story would be improved by it!

The Betrayal:

The betrayal of Ho-Oh is intentionally, sudden, abrupt, and without reason. Ho-Oh didn't do anything, and there's no unreliable narrator elements at play. Neither Ho-Oh nor Lugia did anything wrong. They gave a blessing to the land, and the festivals and everything they received in turn was a free gift they didn't want.

What did happen is after Osiri's death, as humans do, they grew ignorant of their history and past. They forgot that the legends blessings was a free gift and the festivals were for gratitude. Instead they were swayed by their own fear and selfishness to resent the legendaries, believing they were beholden to them. That they were somehow being forced to give these festivals and gifts and honor the duo. That somehow they were slaves to legendaries.

Thus a group formed within Orre's people determined to slay the legends and take that power, and end the cycle of blessings (which by this point were hardly needed, ironically). They sought to kill Lugia after ambushing Ho-Oh, but failed. Lugia kills the leader of this rebellion in revenge. Its a tragedy of human selfishness.

Not all of Orre's people agreed or sought to do this. The ones who disagreed, fled or were killed by the civil war.

Now to be clear, a lot of this is context thats unclear. Some was due to word constraints, or time. Some of it is narrative purpose of conciseness and limited POV.

I fully intend to preserve the shock of the betrayal for themeatic and narrative purposes, but I welcome any advice in how to make the followup a bit clearer now, without time/word constraints (although I'd still hope to keep it short).

Yveltal's Embrace/Afterlife
Legendaries and humans have a seperate afterlife. Yveltal oversees both, and is locked into the realm of the dead but can ocassionally leave. When a legendary dies, they rarely die permanently, rather their body must be reborn. However such a powerful physical vessel takes time to regenerate, regardless of the injury or the legend. In this time, the legends soul resides in Yveltal's embrace, aka the afterlife.

A legendary dying is rare, and challenging to do. Legendaries are aware of what happens if they die, but its probably only happened a couple times. In this case, its Ho-Oh's first time.

Blessings

Legendaries can bestow/use their power to influence the natural world, but doing so always requires some sacrifice, generally loss of power and leaving them vulnerable. Simple blessings like harvest or some weather are easy. Something like the ocean thing is pretty hard and exhausting, leaving a legendary fairly vulnerable (as in, more killable by a mortal, etc).

The 'divine bestowment' at the end is essentially the most powerful form of blessing, imbuming the land itself with divine essence. It would basically risk leaving Ho-Oh mortal or near dead, severely depleted. However two legendaries sharing the burden lessens the severity. Thus they were essentially able to create the foundation for modern day Agate, driving out the corruptive death/shadows plaguing Orre and kicking off the future way to purify shadow pokemon.

Last edited:

ErazonPo3

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
She/her
This really is an entrancing read, it's incredibly emotional and moving. Ho-Oh's death by Lugia's scale was such a powerful moment, and I don't think I'll ever be able to look at Shadow Lugia again without remembering that perfectly poetic tragedy. It really does feel like something out of an ancient epic, which I think encapsulates the Legendary theme of the contest in a more abstract way too.

I'm also very drawn to fiery, passionate personalities, and your depiction of Ho-Oh really struck gold with me in capturing her righteous anger without scorning her for just how strongly she feels. In some ways I wish Yveltal had been a little more understanding because to let her burn out in solitude is a very cruel fate, but that's less of a narrative problem as much as it is me connecting so strongly to Ho-Oh in that moment, so... good job! Yveltal and Ho-Oh's relationship and understanding of each other felt very poignant, and on one hand I wish there could have been more of it but on the other I think it's best to avoid dragging that section out for too long.

I'm really glad to have read this, and thank you for writing it!

kintsugi

golden scars | pfp by sun
the warmth of summer in the songs you write
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. silvally-grass
  2. lapras
  3. golurk
  4. booper-kintsugi
  5. meloetta-kint-muse
  6. meloetta-kint-dancer
  7. murkrow
  8. yveltal
There's something delightfully, beautifully hooky about "we had no home. / This was by design, my sister believed. But in the depths of my soul, I did not agree." that pulled me in here--maybe it's the simplicity of the language couching such a poignant sentiment, maybe it's what it simultaneously says about both Lugia and Ho-oh in this exact moment, these conflicting ideas of the lonely weights of assigned duty/predestination versus a little voice asking you to hope for something brighter. Maybe it's just the mood I'm in these days, idk, but this is the kind of line that makes me really excited to read what comes next, like actually-I-get-why-they-call-it-hooked-now, which is a feeling I don't find myself having very often. I was reading through the judge comments for each of these and was immediately interested in this one from this specific line in the intro excerpt, so I'm really quite fortunate that you were equally impatient to release the full thing, lol.

I quite liked how the story widens in scope after this, zooming out from a personal quibble Lugia has with his role to these broader, weightier topics and the dramatic effect that they have on the rest of Orre. I was surprised by how much ground you covered in the space you had, and how the story felt simultaneously short to read but also very comprehensive--there's a lot of events happening here, gods are razing and dying, some familiar faces for Orre origins showing up here and there. Between these is a really interesting dissection of godhood and belief, of the things you should and shouldn't accept. I do love me some tales of spurned gods who can't quite bring themselves to Stop, but I think the way you flesh out Ho-oh and Lugia specifically was a good choice. It's easy to get caught up in these weightier topics and it's also really hard to draw a relatable deity character in a way that still makes them feel sufficiently distinct, but it's a balance that I thought you juggled really well. They also feel like younger gods here, in that they're still learning a lot about their roles and each other--obviously with the main siblings growing apart, but also with Yveltal being jealous of them and not really getting how to interact with Ho-oh at first--and even just flat-up dying, which I thought was a good way to juggle the need for stories to have character arcs vs gods typically being seen above such things. The decision to write about these characters as a pair, and to swap between them, was one I wouldn't have found intuitive but that I thought really worked here, as it lets you view these legends from the outside and the inside, and really drives home how they're growing from one another.

Also I can see why you were most excited about writing the bit with Lugia going apeshit. It's a really raw moment, both in the sense that there's a lot of pain being felt and that it's super intense watching Lugia beam all these people down. The bit in Lugia's narration where they both die, or at least feel that way, really sold the POV swaps for me. I also liked that it's Lugia's gift that undid them; it shifted the end conversation from one of asking someone to believe for the first time to asking someone to believe again, and I think that's a really weighty distinction to make.

There's a few places where I think some stuff got swapped (mostly hyphens/em dash consistency), most of which I imagine was for the deadline, lol, been there. If you're interested in a tighter prose read lmk; I wasn't sure if you were wanting to rest easy on this one for a bit (been there too).

Thought this one was a lovely read, and it's great to see some Ho-oh love, so thanks for sharing!

-

oh whoops, just saw the note. re: tense shifts, I agree that the past/present bookends felt intentional, and worked for me. Likewise I think some of the ones in the middle of the story could be intentional, but they're mixed in a way that I don't think they all can be, so I just flagged the other ones I spotted:
Did he remember me with regret and disappointment? Perhaps he hated me for turning my back on him in his last hours. If he had simply accepted my offer I would not be here, alone. And if I had remained with him in the end, he would not have been alone.

I cannot ignore the way my heart soared at the sight.

Caution has replaced the kindness of the first time he greeted me, along with a cool anger.

A terrible roar split the night and the jaws of death are torn asunder.

As I continue, I lock eyes with him.

I don't follow. I want to. I long to go, to leave behind the glass burned sands and frosted canyons, and the lava scorched slopes of the volcano. But I think of Osiri and all the humans we did help, and of Yveltal.

My wings were limp but I am airborne, and I recognize the telltale blue shine of a psychic hold keeping me from plummeting to the ground below.

I cannot help but snort in amusement.

A place no pokemon can survive, and no human can live.

He doesn't speak, as if sensing I am not done.

Caution has replaced the kindness of the first time he greeted me, along with a cool anger.

How dare death mock me on top of all he'd done?

No longer can I see the tree or the pool, only gray again.

The few people and pokemon not slain by their kin weep anguish and cry out in anger. I cannot tear my gaze from the site of my death.

It is not until Yveltal speaks again that I am jarred from my trance.

Still I am consumed, alone, a half of a whole, a fragment without meaning. A shell.

Last edited:

tomatorade

The great speckled bird
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. quilava
  2. buizel
My god, it’s so mythical. I like how much this resembles a lot of classic legends of gods and their interactions with humans. Obviously, it’s been structured into a more contemporary story about hope despite everything instead of all the crazy shit those weirdos were doing. But the dna is definitely there. In this, I can see some ancient greek philosophers writing about Zeus transforming into a mortal to watch them screw around in the desert as if the gods have nothing better to do lol.

Ho-oh and Lugia are a great pair to explore, here. I'm specifically impressed how many little pokelore tidbits crop up. Ho-oh’s rebirth, for example, as a thing she tends to do. I thought I spotted a Shadow Lugia reference, too.

They’ve got a great contrast in personality. Very strong. Ho-oh especially is obstinate and motivated in a way that oozes personality without being irritating, which is often a difficult balance to achieve. It’s touching how much she cares despite herself. And once again, there’s a sort of ideological split meant to impart some sort of lesson, as is tradition. Of course, here it’s less tragic. They combine powers and both live and are very wholesome together :0 (Side note: It’s interesting to me that Ho-oh is the one so averse to death, considering their ties to the phoenix.)

Plotwise, my favourite part might be the betrayal. In one sense, it comes out of nowhere. One day, blam! Stabbed! But there’s such an investment in the Lugia/Ho-oh POV that has it click in such a satisfying way after. Those damn, ungrateful humans. I’m an empath so I would never be like them smh, but it’s very easy to imagine the way their boon could be lost through the ages—how a story about a great people who climbed mount battle and left offerings for fun could be twisted into one of subjugation. Here, it happens so quickly because gods live a dang ol’ time, so we feel just as shocked as Lugia.

The impact of Lugia’s wrath is not lost on me either. It’s a very visceral scene. One, especially that sells me into Lugia’s shoes more than any other thing in the fic. I mentioned how strong the POV is, but it works especially well here, on having me sympathise with him. Feel the same hurt and betrayal.

I also love that they used his scale to do it. I don’t remember there being any logical reason, but it’s a clever little detail that sells the myth.

Then luigi sad :(

Even though I am aggressively asexual, I ship Ho-oh/yveltal. It’s a classic romcom setup, that. Two characters who don’t like each other are forced together and must learn to get along and kiss and whatever. They don’t get to kiss, but I still liked the repertoire. It’s built up quickly (in terms of prose) but is sold well. Normally things like this feel a little contrived, but it helps that this is a little unstructured. Both Yveltal and Ho-oh have to try a couple times before they can talk like normal people.

Anyways, I loved how this all tied together in the end. Literally, on reareads. Lugia has some stuff to say about hope early on and it works its way back to the end. It's easy to read back and pick the theme up in other places. Like, The story ends with them determining that they would build a home, which is believable because, well... they already had a home. At least, at one point. It captures this cyclical nature of hope. Lugia has hope in the humans and supports them, which is true and right, even if it collapses eventually.

There was a discussion on discord a little bit ago about appreciating positive characters with depth. I thought a lot about that when reading this fic. What makes its message so strong to me, as with optimistic characters, lies in recognising a bit of a worst-case scenario. The depth comes in knowing that things will be terrible sometimes but, as is demonstrated, also knowing you’ve only truly lost when you stop believing things can be improved.

And damn that ending hit me a little harder than I expected it to. In a world of doomerism it’s easy to get caught up in believing everything is terrible. Sometimes you have to remind yourself that the only way things will get better is by believing in a better world and making it happen.

Thank you for writing this! It’s a wonderful piece and I can see how it got such a positive reaction.

This review was a little scattered but oh well.

;)

Mirage

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
He/him
Partners
  1. minccino
This was honestly so beautiful! So much raw emotion - the happiness when Lugia and Ho-oh bond with the humans, the ferocity of Lugia's wrath after he's betrayed, Ho-oh's anger at Yveltal after she dies, hers and Yveltal's loneliness in the afterlife, and then the hope Lugia and Ho-oh feel at the end in trying to bring humans back. It really runs the whole spectrum, and it makes the story feel like it's 30 chapters long instead of just a oneshot.

Ho-oh's character development was especially great. The way she swung back and forth between being dismissive of humans, then growing compassion for them, then feeling betrayed and angry, then hopeful - it felt like she was going through cycles of rebirth not just physically, but mentally and emotionally as well. I also really enjoyed her and Yveltal's relationship! I never really thought of the two going together, since Xerneas is usually Yveltal's counterpart, but it works wonderfully here. You can't have rebirth without death first, something she grows to understand as she spends more time with Yveltal and appreciates his role.

The humans' motivations for wanting to kill Ho-oh did feel a bit random, to me at least. The queen says that they resent needing to serve and offer sacrifices to the duo, but we never really see either Lugia or Ho-oh assert their wills on the humans. Maybe it went something like the humans wanted to cancel the ceremony and save the sacrifices for themselves, but Ho-oh refused, because she viewed it as disrespecting the legacy of Osiri (whom she was still grieving for)? The humans didn't understand the source of her grief, and instead thought she was ordering them around like slaves? Still very selfish of them...

Thanks for an excellent read - you did an outstanding job!

Last edited:

Nekodatta

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. koraidon-apex
  2. miraidon-ultimate
I really really liked this and how it was written. Not being that much familiar with Orre at first I thought the concept a bit random, "Ho-oH and Lugia in Orre?" but after a moment I realized the connection "wait of course, Shadow Lugia and I think you actually met Ho-Oh winning the equivalent of the battle tower??" So this is actually a brilliant idea! Really really cool.

I really like how you characterized both by making them a sibling pair.
For being the first "cover legendary pair",except for both having a tower in Johto Lugia and Ho-oH don't really interact much in official Pokémon media. They each have their own trio they feel more connected to, the idea of making cover legendaries a dual pair wasn't quite there yet, so I really liked that you did it instead.

As for the story itself, I like the constant point of view switches. It lends itself well to understanding the bond Lugia and Ho-oH share, the different ways they see humans, and it's especially effective in the betrayal scene.

I also really liked the almost little "role reversal" at the end, where Ho-oH rising again and wanting to give a blessing contrasts Lugia being the one that had now lost hope in humans. It feels fitting after her character development with Yveltal, and her representing a phoenix, rising again and again.

Her words were hot and harsh, like dying embers stoked. "No. They are mortals. Mortals are cruel and cause war and strife. They do not deserve anything."
I find it interesting how she is the one that has a harsher look on people, while her lore states that she supposedly shows herself to pure-hearted people to bring them happiness. It's a nice way of showing that she isn't quite there yet, in terms of character development.
With the strength from their generous gift, I also gave them back a blessing of good tides and harmonious weather.
Same here, Lugia's lore usually emphasises their "destructive" side, mentioning creating whirlpools and storms, so I love that the focus here is on him using his powers for good by doing the opposite!
Lugia informed me that my volcanic home had been given a nickname because of me - Mt. Battle
Oh hey there it is!! Love the background given to the Orre region itself here.
But one day, we will.
While this definitely feels hopeful and gives a really nice bookend to the story, a part of me couldn't help but think that their new home in Johto would end up getting destroyed and they still end up leaving and getting separated again... But I guess that's just part of the cycle.

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Heya, here for Catnip, though… a oneshot about Ho-Oh and Lugia once upon a time originally living in Orre, huh? That’s definitely different, even if I suppose that it wouldn’t be hard to come to that conclusion with how prominent the two feature in the Colosseum games.

Not sure what this is going to entail other than that this is probably going to get dark since the tagline literally states that Orre used to be a place that wasn’t a barren waste, but let’s get right into things:

Life

Endless desert dunes sprawled before us; an unbroken sea of sand. In the distance rocky canyons gutted furrowed the land like reefs, and a dark mountain split the horizon, smoke pouring from the mouth. Together we soared across this expanse, the winds carrying us like currents through an invisible sea.

A silver soul and a golden heart. Brother and sister, two apart and yet together we were whole. Just as east and west had no border, nor did our spirits. We were wanderers, destined to cross the lands and seas for all of time, protecting the fragile world. We were bound to no one, and we were free.

Couple of small tweaks that I’d suggest there.

We are Lugia and Ho-Oh.

And we had no home.

This was by design, my sister believed. But in the depths of my soul, I did not agree.

Oh hello, birdies. Though that’s definitely one of the more memorable openings to a one-shot that I’ve seen in a while.

While my sister watched the sky, I watched the land below. A movement among the dunes caught my eyes, one not caused by the ceaseless winds and shifting sands.

Humans.

Wait, but who’s the brother and sister of the pair? Since you can technically make an argument either way given that the creator of Lugia’s design apparently explicitly conceptualized her as female.
921185848735711243.webp

My curiosity bled into my sister, but she paid the small shapes below no heed. Her voice rang as harsh as the sun above.

"The affairs of mortals are not our own."

I made no reply. We both knew words were wasted; I sensed her disdain spilling over into me. The sensation did little to dampen my curiosity. To see a human this far from any village is a rare thing indeed, especially in a desert so harsh and a land unforgiving. My desire to know more far outweighed my sister's caution and frustration. I drew near to her and I touched my forehead to hers in farewell. With a final cry, I descended to the land below.

Is the identity of the narrator is intended to be up to audience interpretation? Since this entire time, we actually haven’t gotten any firm cues aside from that one “depths of my soul” line that I think implies the narrator is Lugia? Maybe it’ll get cleared up a bit later on.

There I gave up my divine form, and made myself appear as a simple pokemon. A useful trick to walk among mortals unseen. I could hold the form for seven revolutions of the sun, enough time to observe these humans.

Ah yes, it’s Wingull time. I’d actually seen this take done before in my PBP RP days, though this is the first time I’ve seen it rolled in a fic from someone outside of that original circle. Dunno how much I agree with it in terms of headcanon, but I’ll admit that it allows for some fun story scenarios.

I fluffed my feathers and took a few experimental steps in my mortal body. "And you are boring."

Okay, that confirms that the narrator is Lugia. Noted. And based off that description, I’m guessing that it really is Wingull time.

For a single revolution of the sun, I trailed after the small group of humans, remaining unnoticed. In that time, I learned they are a small clan, fleeing some mortal war. Their leader was a man named Osiri, and he was like the ocean. Fierce and relentless, yet gentle and adaptable. His people were weary and worn from long travels with little food, and many fights with wild pokemon.

‘Osiri’, huh? As in a clipping of ‘Osiris’, or….?

Though I’m wondering how quickly things are going to wrap right around to
662499149396180996.webp
for the narrator, since… anyone can be warm and nice to their friends...

I could not help but feel drawn to them. Despite their troubles, their spirits remained unyielding, Osiri's in particular. In the face of all the trials the desert produced, they did not fear, nor did they seek to turn back to the land they came from.

Not that I’d expect Lugia to understand the intricacies of human conflicts given how aloof the opening made him and Ho-Oh sound, but does Osiri’s people even have the option to turn back to their land of origin?
994427253242990704.webp

That night, as they assembled their tiny camp to ward off the desert chill, I drew nearer to them still. But curiosity, like any good thing, is dangerous when taken too far. And in my curiosity, I had grown careless. So fixated was I on the humans, I failed to see.

Perhaps had I been truly mortal, I would have noticed the signs. The unnatural curve of the sand sloping downward, the faintest shine of dark eyes, scales that were a shade off from the rest of the sand. I realized too late.

Can’t tell if this is going to be a Gible ambush or not.

The sand around me erupted. Three sandile surged out, razor teeth and claws lacerating the skin of my mortal body with horrifying ease. Primal fear rose within me, swallowing me, drowning me in its icy embrace. In that moment I felt the chill of death breathing upon me. To die here would mean spending an eternity's moment in Yveltal's embrace while my body healed. Hundreds of years separated from the living world and my sister.

Well, Sandile ambush. I guess that would be a bit more probable statistically. Though Legendaries in your setting reincarnate after they die, huh? I suppose that explains why this is a “tale of rebirth”, even if I’m not convinced that Lugia’s already going to bite it this early.

In despair I cried out for her and sensed her response, but I knew she had gone to the far edges of the desert. She would not arrive in time. Brown scales flashed in the corner of my vision. I reacted, too slow, too unused to this mortal body. Jaws closed around my neck and I closed my eyes and awaited my fate.

A terrible roar split the night and the jaws of death were torn asunder. As the sandile retreated, I turned to see my savior, a majestic Flygon, and by its side, a human wielder. Osiri.

I should be a lot less surprised that Lugia’s rescuer would be a Flygon considering who’s writing this thing. >:V

Though a bit more seriously, but I wonder if “wielder” feels a little strange for how Lugia is parsing Osiri’s Flygon. Since objects get “wielded”, while even if it’s a bit unclear how mutually intelligible they are to each other, Lugia and the Flygon are both Pokémon, so something about the verbiage for how Osiri is working with Flygon felt a bit strange coming from Lugia’s perspective.

Osiri brought me back to camp. Wounded as I was In my wounded state, I could not fight back, or return to my true form. There, he took me into his own tent, tended to me from food he could scarcely spare and with his own medicine. In all his ministrations, not once did he or his Flygon hesitate.

I was going to ask whether or not ‘ministrations’ would work better with a simpler term to the effect of “help” or “rendered care”, but I suppose Lugia’s narration thus far has had a spot of formalese, so I won’t question it too hard.

It was then my sister reached out to me, her presence hidden high overhead. "Shall I raze their pathetic encampment and free you, brother?"

I now have the mental image of Ho-Oh shrilling “Don’t worry, Lugia, I’ll save you!” loudly from the skies above and the entire encampment just staring up dumbfounded. Like I get the idea that Ho-Oh is supposed to be doing this telepathically but that’s not explicitly stated, and I wonder if she’s skipping a step of “Ah! You’re hurt / captured!” that would then provide context for “Do you want me to toast the campsite?”

"No. They are helping me. I will remain with them while I gather my strength and rejoin you later."

I sensed her disquiet and unease, rolling off her like turbulent waves. "... Very well."

Is that meant to be her emotions? Aura? Some combination of the two? Not that I don’t buy that Lugia as a very strong Psychic-type could manage this, but I do wonder if it should’ve been more of a recurring feature of Lugia’s interactions with Ho-Oh, since this is coming up for the first time right now.

For six cycles of the sun, I remained with the humans. Though they had little, they were generous. They protected one another, shared their burdens, and their supplies. The strong cared for the weak, and the wise led the strong. During the times they were not traveling, they battled together, growing stronger in mind and body, and bonding with their partners. In doing so, these wanderers understood each other innately, almost like pokemon.

On the seventh revolution of the sun, I revealed myself, casting off my mortal bindings and once again assuming my divine form.

Ah yes, cue the mass
770125468800122880.webp
-ing from Osiri and his fellows.

At first, they cowered in fear, wondering if I sought to smite them. Humans were aware of our kind, pokemon spoken of in legend who possessed power and dominion far beyond any mortal. But they knew little of us, and ignorance so easily breeds fear. Only Osiri and his Flygon did not cower, and faced me with spirits unyielding. As ready to protect as they were to extend a branch of peace.

Wait, were there any other Pokémon in Osiri’s camp beyond the Flygon? Like not that I wouldn’t have them to similarly be
371529302006693890.webp
-ing over surprise Lugia in their midst, but they’re not really acknowledged as existing or reacting here. Like do they recognize Lugia? Are they reflexively going up to defend their trainers? Busily noping out? Lotsa possibilities there given that you did imply Osiri’s people traveled with other Pokémon.

I eased their fears, and explained to them I meant no harm. Much the opposite. My soul was moved by their kindness and their plight, and I sought to help them in some way. So I approached Osiri, and I offered my power, and I asked told him thus:

"
I can grant you one blessing within my power. Ask, and if it is within me, it will be yours."

Some small tweaks, since Lugia’s dialogue as written isn’t a question, thus it’d be a bit hard to ask. Also, for completely unrelated reasons:

de7.png

I expected Osiri to request knowledge, or perhaps human wealth, or even power. An eternal blessing for his lineage.

Instead, he bowed before me. "I would ask of you only a small favor, not for my sake but my kin. Just a morsel of water, so we may quench our thirst, and ease the burden on our water pokemon. If it would not trouble you."

Founding of Phenac story? Since this feels like a founding of Phenac story.

"Is that all?" I cannot help but chuckle, even as a warmth filled my soul. Faced with a god before him, Osiri's spirit remained pure and unselfish. He could have asked me for anything, and I think I might have given it to him, so fascinated was I was by him. Yet all he asked for was a grain of sand in the desert of my power.

Not that Lugia being surprised by Osiri asking for something that’s trivial to his perspective wouldn’t warrant a reaction like this, but I kinda wonder if it’s missing an emphasis on how Osiri’s initial impulse to “whatever you wish, it will be yours” is “please help my people” beforehand.

That said, there wasn’t really a consistent undercurrent of Osiri and his people having water problems in the sequence of Lugia living among them for a week. I wonder if it’d have been worth mentioning a bit more explicitly than what is presently there.

Then I would give him the desert.

"I can give you much more than that, young one."

Ah yes, I can already see that the source of our problems in this story are going to start here.
1105356025936228434.webp

Filled with resolve, I rose into the sky.

My sister, still unseen high above, spoke. "Surely you are not going to do this."

Wait, huh? She’s just been here the whole time? I wonder if that should’ve been established somewhere that after Lugia’s first near-disaster of a night, that Ho-Oh felt compelled to stay close since for all she knew, Lugia was going to get gutted for food sometime during the week, since without it, this is a bit sudden and surprising.

I take it that Ho-Oh already got her cheerios pissed in by mortals at some point in the past with that sort of reaction.

"[ ] We should not turn our backs on hope."

[ ]

"Do as you will, I shall take no part in this."

I think that you’re missing a step in Lugia’s logic that basically amounts to “Ho-Oh, they don’t have to be that way, they can change.” / “But Osiri’s people weren’t cruel at all to me this past week!” since his current rebuttal isn’t really rebutting Ho-Oh’s point directly there.

Also, it might make sense to more explicitly lay out Ho-Oh’s
662499150780432397.webp
reaction back to Lugia afterwards, especially if it’s stuck with him in memory through the ages.

My sister's disdain did little to dissuade me. Osiri would not ask much of me, but I could give him and his people far more than simple temporary things.

I soared high above the flattest stretch of desert, an area marked by cracked bedrock and salt flats, an endless wasteland among wastelands.

Groudon forgive me, I thought wryly.

Kyogre: “No, no, this is fine! Keep going!” ^^

Reaching within me, I drew upon every ounce my power. Deep, deep under the earth, locked beneath the bedrock, I found what I sought. Swirling chasms of water churned below the sands and salt flats. With a mighty swell of psychic strength, I tore the earth asunder, calling for the sea.

Wait, but isn’t the sea specifically salty water?
699082306027126844.webp

It answered, water surging forth, filling the dead plains with new life. As my power drained away, the waters came to life, currents formed, and the land awoke. I did not stop until I had drained almost all my strength to stabilize the creation.

Osiri: “Wait, but how does that help when we can’t drink seawater?”
401085511176814613.webp

Lugia: “... It’s a freshwater sea? It’s not like those don’t exist, you know.”
921185848735711243.webp

They did not waste my gift. They worked hard and tirelessly, day after day, week after week. I was amazed by the speed at which humans moved, the ways in which they innovated and created, things which even we legends could not have conceived of. I suspected even the Original One would have been surprised by them.

Pokemon flourished, and humans thrived. With my gift, new life filled the waters, and the people of the land found a place they could call a home. They already possessed means to transform turn the salted waters to fresh, and swiftly found they could harvest the bedrock and rich clay in the canyons to build.

Oh, so Osiri’s people learned how to do mass desalination. Noted then. Though I kinda wonder given how this is a pretty big jump in time from the “my gift to them” paragraph, if this would be more effective coming after a hard scene break.

There, on the very shores of the sea I gave them, they built their first settlement, a small village. And as time passed, the village grew, and the people did as well. The sun circled endlessly, and in that time, as I regained my strength from calling the sea, I watched them grow, their spirits growing stronger, their hope never waning. Under Osiri's guidance, the village blossomed into a shining town.

Ah, so this is Gateon, huh? Or Gateon once upon a time, anyways.

On the anniversary of its formation, Osiri called out to me. I answered, rising from the depths.

"You have given us the sea, so we will give you back something. Every year we wish to honor you for what you did."

So he gave me two gifts; the first fruits of their harvest and a grand dais in the center of the town. It was a massive perch carved from a single stone, inlaid with fine jewels and delicate reliefs chronicling their journey here and our meeting.

I actually wonder if this is based off of something from Colosseum / XD or if it’s a wholesale creation for this oneshot.

All of me sought to deny their gift, for I had not given my gift to them under the expectations of to receiving one back. But as I gazed upon the people, I saw their earnest souls, pure and true. To Rejecting it would have been crueler than accepting it, so I did relented, resting myself upon the perch as the humans celebrated their new home with song and feast. With the strength from their generous gift, I also gave them back a blessing of good tides and harmonious weather.

Ho-Oh: “... Lugia, I think you’re getting a bit too chummy with these mortals, just saying.” >v>;

After the blessing was given, I gave a second and final gift. A single scale of mine, which I bestowed upon Osiri.

"You have proven yourself pure of soul. This will be a symbol of my blessing to you, and our bond. It will keep you safe and strengthen your spirit."

I am not convinced that this isn’t going to age poorly in the future, but okay then.

Every year after, the people gathered and threw a grand festival, and gave the first of their harvest to me, and I would give a blessing of the sea to them. And for the first time in many seasons, I discovered a new kind of happiness.

Ho-Oh: “Yes, yes, very cute, Lugia. Now seriously, get out of there. We all know this is going to end in tears for everyone involved.” >v<

This was not my home.

We were meant to be wanderers, carried by wind and warmth, sailing the skies eternally. Free. Yet my brother was captivated by these mortal creatures. Captured by them. I could not share this fascination, for my heart belonged to the sky alone, to the sun and the winds. We were meant for liberty, unshackled by needless ties. But I could not leave my kin, for without him, I would be alone in this world.

Oh, it’s a Ho-Oh perspective episode. Duly noted. Though boy is that different to read considering how the Tin / Bell Tower is a thing canonically. I wonder if Ho-Oh will wind up changing her outlook over the course of the oneshot.

So I remained, but I secluded myself far from the sea in a volcano at the edge of the land. Every year, I watched my brother go to their fragile human nesting site for their silly festival. Why he indulged them was beyond me.

Lugia: “Because they throw great parties and fluff my plumage? Sounds good enough for me, really.” ^v^

Perhaps the humans' fancy structures held a certain beauty, and perhaps their little town displayed some creativity, but it was fleeting. Meaningless. A single storm from Kyogre or rend of the earth from Groudon could smite it in an instant. How could that be worth building?

I’m a little surprised that Ho-Oh of all Pokémon would have this sort of outlook given that she’s quite the looker herself. Wouldn’t rebuilding a ruined shrine or whatever be parseable under similar terms as molting damaged feathers?

Though then again, I suppose molting would come trivially to Ho-Oh while rebuilding a shrine wouldn’t, so the comparison still holds up.

Nevertheless, my brother needed me. Every winter at their festival, he expended a great deal of energy to bless the little mortals. If I did not protect him he would surely destroy himself in the process, and I shared some of my essence to restore him. So I remained.

Still, I was bored. And boredom was its own special kind of agony. I did not wish to stay, yet I could not bear to leave. My wings yearned for new skies and freedom. Many summers passed by in monotony. I took flights around my volcanic home, but otherwise remained in seclusion, content to be far from the humans.

Until a most curious thing happened.

Ah yes, this won’t be totally worrisome at all from what we’ve seen of Ho-Oh’s thought process thus far.
1105356025936228434.webp

As I rested within the volcano, something approached me from the peak. A human, and his pokemon. Humans are quite skittish things, so I cried out with a terrible shriek to drive it off. The human did not run. In fact, it gave a battle cry of its own, and called forth its pokemon partner, Flygon.

I can’t tell if this is supposed to be Osiri, or another unrelated Flygon trainer who’s entered the mix.

For the first time in many seasons, something burned away my boredom in favor of something much more pleasant. Surprise. The human fought me, displaying more grace and cunning than I expected. Though my power far surpassed their own, I found myself drawn into the battle. The dance of wills, the way their his and his partner’s hearts became one in battle. There was beauty in it.

All too soon the fire of battle died, their valiant pokemon exhausted. In a heartbeat, I healed both pokemon and wielder. I wished to meet the one whose spirit burned so bright, and to face him again. He introduced himself as Osiri.

Yeah, I suppose I should’ve seen this one coming.

Perhaps my brother was not as foolish as I believed.

I like how in the present day, it’s Ho-Oh who’s the open one while Lugia’s the withdrawn recluse. Which can only imply good things™ for what will happen in this one-shot.
994427253242990704.webp

Osiri departed with his partner, but returned the very next cycle of the sun to challenge me. And again, and again, they came and challenged me. No more did I lapse into boredom, for I found myself looking forward to our meetings. Eventually, Osiri began to bring different humans, and I would challenge them as well.

Oh, so this is the precursor to the Mt. Battle encounter with Ho-Oh in Colosseum, huh?

Lugia informed me that my volcanic home had been given a nickname because of me - Mt. Battle. I found the name a bit dry for my taste, but that was humans for you I supposed. Yet, I felt oddly pleased as well.

Yeah, I knew it.

The humans built a small nest at the base of my home, and I could not help but find myself drawn to it. Humans had a way of working with the land that even the most skilled pokemon could not match. Truly, they were a gifted species in their own right, if you liked that sort of thing.

The first passing of the seasons after Osiri challenged me, the humans called me from my home with a grand song. There I found a perch, much like the one carved for my brother, built in my honor, along with an offering.

Oh hey, so they had a Tin / Bell and Burned Tower combo counterpart even out here in Orre, huh?

Frustration burned within me. I demanded answers. I had no need of mortal offerings, and I was well capable of finding my own food. I did not want any fancy trappings or need their worship in return.

Osiri quelled my annoyance. "It is not a matter of need, Ho-Oh. It is gratitude. My people were happy, but we grew bored restless. You granted us the honor of combat, and for that we wished to thank you. Please, to refuse would devastate my kin."

I mean, we saw how fast you came around to humans in general, Ho-Oh, so… o<o

Though I think that considering the ‘formalese’ of Lugia and Ho-Oh’s narration in this story, “restless” probably works better than “bored” since they’re similar sentiments, but “restless” has the explicit connotation that someone in that state is seeking out something else to do.

Every part of me desired to reject it, but I knew I could not. Or would not. The thought of hurting Osiri and his kin saddened me too greatly. So I relented. But to ensure fairness, I gave them something in exchange. A portion of my divine power, a blessing of fair winds and bountiful harvests for the next season.

Okay, so not that it doesn’t make sense that Ho-Oh and Lugia would come to similar destinations as each other, but I kinda wonder if Ho-Oh’s warming up to humans here reads as a bit sudden. Like for Lugia, there was the whole “almost dying and getting rescued and living among them” bit, but here, Ho-Oh basically just warms up to them because they fought with her and impressed her a bunch of times.

I dunno, maybe it’d feel a bit more symmetric if she had a stint going to a human town to try and figure out their secret as to how they’re putting up such a fight or something like that, but that’s just me.

So it became that every summer I descended from the volcano and they threw their festival, and I blessed them, not because of what they gave me, but because I wanted to give them something. To help them. Even if their little village was small, and fragile. Even if the mortals were weak and frail.

D’aww. Though I can already tell that if things are going where I think they’re going by the end, that things are going to hurt to watch, especially as Ho-Oh and Lugia invert in outlooks.

By our combined efforts, the little patch of desert flourished beyond anything we could have foreseen. The people and their pokemon developed a harmony stronger than any I or my brother had witnessed in our flights through other lands. As time passed, some of their pokemon's unique gifts even rubbed off on their human friends, a phenomenon quite rare indeed.

Oh, so this is alluding to people like Rui being a thing where they quite literally are capable of feats like aura sensitivity that normally we only see among Pokémon, huh? Or at least I think that’s where this is going.

For the first time, my heart did not long to leave and follow the wind. And I sensed too, my brother's soul had found peace.

And so Osiri had given us our greatest gift - a home.

Which we’re going to see burn to the ground, aren’t we? Since I remember what happened with your homes in Johto…
699082306027126844.webp

<><><>

One hundred summers passed. In that time, Osiri grew as close to us as kin. He had children of his own as well, and his children had children. The land bloomed.

But time is a cruel ruler to mortals.

This feels like another part where you could hack things off into a brand-new scene here.

His spirit remained strong, but his body—as every mortals' did—began to fail. No longer did he dance with his kin during the festivals, and less and less did he make the pilgrimage to my mountain home for our battles or visit the sea to commune with my brother.

One day, as winter turned to spring, Osiri called to us.

"My dear friends. My time draws near. Yveltal has turned his gaze upon me. I will not see the next Festival of the Silver Tide or Rainbow Harvest."

Ah yes, time for the
662499150742552576.webp
episode… unless if Ho-Oh is just going to casually step in and break the rules with Sacred Ash or something like that.

My brother bowed his head and nodded. Accepted it. Like a coward.

I was no coward. "No, Osiri. Let me help you. With my energy, I can save you. I can spare you from the talons of death. To grant you a decade, even a century more would take only a small fraction of my power."

994427253242990704.webp

Ho-Oh, don’t make me break out the Bubsy image macro again. Though I like how for how much crap Ho-Oh originally gave Lugia for getting too close to mortals, it’s ultimately her that goes full YOLO about using her powers in ways they’re not supposed to to help her friends.

Osiri shook his head. "Thank you. But I would not ask such a thing of you, nor do I desire it. It would bring me no peace to take such a gift. Us humans are not meant to walk this world forever. I have lived well, and that is all I could ask for."

Anger flared in me. "What of your people then? Who will guide them?"

"I have already appointed others in my place," he said gently.

The flame inside me burned even hotter. "Then your kin?" I demanded. "What of your children, and their children!"

Lugia: “Just saying, you’re never allowed to give me crap over wanting to hang around mortals after this, Ho-Oh.”
916590116670144542.webp

Though I do wonder if this sequence would’ve worked a bit better getting a bit more into Ho-Oh’s head as to why Osiri just yielding to death is so absurd to her mindset. e.x. is the very idea of passing on and not coming back as a leader alien to her given that she expects to be reincarnated?

Osiri gave a soft chuckle, only fueling the flames of my frustration. How could he not be more upset? Did he not care?

It’s his lot in life as a mortal, Ho-Oh. If you could take a moment to get the obvious sand out of your eyes, you’d understand intellectually that that’s the case.

"My children have grown old, and their children have flourished. They have made peace with the cycle we abide by. And my dear Flygon has crossed the threshold, and I wish to join him."

Oh…
401083507872366598.webp

Though I wonder if that should’ve been mentioned at all in the “time went along” sequence, since unless normal Pokémon are not sapient or else not intelligible to Ho-Oh and Lugia, you’d think that they’d
662499150742552576.webp
a bit more over his/her passing.

"And what about me?"

The words exploded from me before I could contain them. Osiri's shoulders slumped and he broke his gaze upon me. I could sense the pain in his heart and I knew my words wounded him. But my anger burned brighter than my sympathy.

He reached out a hand to me. "Please. Would you not permit me the kindness of a peaceful death?"

"No!" I spat out the words like embers. "You don't deserve to die! If you were my friend you wouldn't do this to me!"

I can see why Ho-Oh wanted to avoid getting too close to mortals, even if in the end, she was either misplacing or projecting who her worries would be about.

Lugia: “Ho-Oh? You’re… kinda scaring me right now.”
662499149396180996.webp

Lugia growled. "Ho-Oh." A chill rippled through the air.

I ignored him and fixed my gaze upon Osiri. "Osiri."

He gave no response.

I whipped around and flared my wings at Lugia. "You are cowards! To accept death blindly, without remorse. Do you have no fighting spirit?"

Not that I don’t buy Ho-Oh ultimately getting to this destination, but I do wonder if her having problems letting go should’ve been foreshadowed / built up to more earlier on. Since if she’s getting this stubborn about letting Osiri pass on, you’d think that at a minimum, that she’d have attempted to rez his Flygon after s/he passed along only to get gently shot down with a “no, Ho-Oh, it’s important to let him/her” rest, which could even inform her stubbornness and franticness here. Since then it’s not just “I can’t lose you, Osiri, I won’t.”, it’s “I can’t lose you too, Osiri” along with all the bubbling regret that she didn’t do something while she could’ve with Flygon’s body back in the day.

Though then again, Osiri’s Flygon has basically been a non-entity in terms of Ho-Oh and Lugia’s mindspace this story, so…
921185848735711243.webp

The spines on my brother's back rattled and his eyes glinted like chips flakes of ice in a frosted sea. "I see only one coward before me, who truly fears death."

The words pierced my heart and I flinched, and my brother flinched as well, pain and guilt melding between us. I spread my wings and gave a final glance to Osiri. "When you change your mind, you know where to find me."

Then I departed.

Oh. So this was really the last thing that Ho-Oh said to Osiri before he died, wasn’t it?
1105356025936228434.webp

Cutting myself off from Lugia was impossible, we were linked too closely, but I was able to dampen his presence. I secluded myself in the depths of the volcano, and waited. Waited for Osiri to understand. Waited for him to change his mind, to seek me out. To accept my gift.

Yeah, she’s totally gonna just wait out the rest of his life, isn’t he?

He never came.

<><><>

"Osiri is dead." Lugia landed on the mouth of my volcano. His soul churned endlessly and restlessly. His gaze was sharp. Angry. Grieving.

This feels like another spot where things jump ahead enough to be a place to cut things off into a new scene. Or else, you need an extension of the “He never came” to explain how much time passes between Ho-Oh bailing on Osiri and Lugia catching up.

Perhaps my brother expected me to feel sad, as he did. The only thing I felt was burning, blazing anger. The lava stirred and churned, and the heat in the inner chamber increased to a level almost unbearable for any not gifted with inner fire.

"Osiri was a fool. He brought this upon himself." Why should I be sad? "He had his chance and he rejected it."

Ah yes, Lugia will take this well™, I’m sure.

Lugia said nothing, simply watching me, for a long time. I tried to mute the emotions and sensations from our bond, I could still feel them lapping at my mind. I could still sense the pain within him. Sparks crackled through my feathers. Did he mean to stare at me forever?

"I warned you. We should never have interfered with mortal affairs."

Lugia: “I’m sorry, I’m not the one who wanted to break the rules of mortality to hang onto one human, Ho-Oh.”
662499150780432397.webp

Ho-Oh: “You literally redrew the map of this region!
476586337689141257.webp

Lugia: “That was different and it doesn’t count.”

"Then let us take our leave." Lugia's challenge crashed over me like a wave, but I pushed aside the panic that rose within me. His own emotions receded like the tide, and I couldn't read him.

"We shall take to the wind and seas once more, leave this land to its devices. There is no longer anything for us here."

Lugia: “I’m going back to that place I’ve got in the Whirl Islands, peace.”

Our gazes met. The volcano's heat stirred my feathers. He stood stiff and defiant, unyielding. Finally, I shook my head.

"No." My heart twisted and the fire within me smoldered. "I would like to remain for now. At least until the next festival. To ensure the people receive the blessing. Then we shall leave."

Narrator: “It would not just be the next festival.”

Though why am I getting the feeling that this is going to wind up going in the direction of these two coming to blows and wrecking the region that Osiri and his people worked so hard to build up? Since this sure feels like it’s headed in that direction.

Lugia narrowed his eyes, but said nothing. With a flap of his wings, he rose skyward and flew away.

The festival in my honor came and went, and Lugia's did as well. Once, I stood at the lip of the volcano, wings spread, wind caressing my feathers. I thought about leaving again. Yet I could not. Osiri or not, everything in the land reminded me of him. I could not turn my back on it yet. Even if everything I saw only hurt me more.

Ho-Oh: “Seriously, Lugia? After going out of your way to get in cozy with mortals, you’re the first one to bail here?” >_>;

More festivals came and went, so many I did not count. We continued to bless the land, though lately it seemed the people hardly needed it, for they were as skilled and proficient as ever, and the land only grew stronger under their care.

And yet, an anger still burned within me. Lugia and I still communed, yet it always felt as if a fog had fallen between us; one I could not penetrate. Or perhaps, did not wish to. I was no longer sure if I could tell.

I mean, considering how Orre is presently a barren wasteland and Ho-Oh is a Fire-type. Um… this feels like a pretty bad combination for where things are going to go.

Perhaps if my vision had not been so clouded, I would have foreseen what came next.

698047915079237695.webp

Oh boy, let’s see where things go from here.

Almost one hundred more mortal years passed. One hundred celebrations of the Festival of the Silver Tide. I befriended a few of the mortals, but none quite so closely as Osiri, though I would often speak with his descendants, and his descendants' descendants. Fewer and fewer over the years, but the mortals nonetheless appreciated our presence.

I can already tell that chilling with Ho-Oh in this time was a bit of a
701085210766344223.webp
affair from how much she’d keep uncomfortably going on and on about Osiri and how he was.

In the times I was not with humans or my sister, I occupied myself in the ocean's depths, resting. My soul had been uneasy as of late, turbulent. I never believed such a thing was possible, yet my bond with my sister felt weak, merely a trickle of what it once was. Perhaps she still resented me for not convincing Osiri to accept her offer. His death was still so fresh and recent to us.

Oh, so he really did peace out to his place in the Whirl Islands. Noted, then.

Maybe after her upcoming festival I would see if she wanted to leave. Maybe the horizon could bring her peace. Then we could be whole again.

bender-laughing.gif

On the day of the festival, Ho-Oh descended from the sky to greet the humans, while I watched from a distance, my thoughts a ceaseless whirlpool. Just as every year, she landed gracefully upon the perch set before her. As every year, the humans came forward with their offering. And just as every year, they played their ceremonial song in her honor.

Ah yes:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRrflvE1DIU

Intensified, then.

The song wove through the air, calming my worries. We were both saddened by the death of Osiri. Perhaps she simply needed gentleness instead of my scorn. As the last notes of the song drifted into the wind, my heart was decided. After the ceremony, I would make things right with my sister. And we would leave together.

Something sliced through my chest and I screamed. My head whipped downward as a horrible pain pierced my heart. Searing agony blotted out conscious thought. Blood, I expected to see trails of indigo blood pouring from a wound on my chest. Yet when I looked, there I saw nothing.

giphy.gif

Though indigo blood, huh? That’s definitely different and unexpected, even if I suppose that there’s nothing preventing Legendary Pokémon from having alien biology.

My chest, unblemished. No wound to be seen. Yet even in my haze, I could still feel the pain, the strength slipping away from me, my vision swimming. What—

Then I saw. Far below, splayed across her own dais of honor, chest stained dark with blood and a gaping hole in her heart.

My sister.

I can’t tell if that’s a sign that Ho-Oh had been taking things well™ since Osiri’s departure or if someone in Orre did this to her.

Our eyes locked, her gaze burning with fear and rage and confusion. I felt it, clear as the skies above, like a flame blazing to life, our connection strong again for a single horrible moment.

Pain burned out all conscious thought. Primal fear swallowed my being as my heart thumped erratically in my ears, blood pumping from my chest, filling my lungs. Despair. The drumming within me grew weaker, my heart tearing weakly in my chest, a gaping wound I could not heal from, blurring turmoil and a strangled cry for help—

Lugia: “H-Ho-Oh! Q-Quick, do that Sacred Ash thingy that you do-!”
662499149396180996.webp

Ho-Oh: “Yeah, that’s going to be easier said than done here.” XvX

And then I died.

Well, that was sudden. But did Lugia really drop dead there? Or is that supposed to be “And then she died.” meaning that Ho-Oh finally gave up the ghost.

I howled, my voice tearing the sky, the winds roaring around me. Black clouds swallowed everything above and lightning split the air. The void of a hurricane's eye opened within me, an endless pit of emptiness where my sister's presence once resided, a half of me ripped away.

Rage, horror and grief drowned and took hold of me, beams of devastating energy gouged the world as I laid waste to everything.

Well, it’s not quite a grudge match between angy legendaries, but yes. That would certainly turn a region into a wasteland, yes. I like how Lugia’s just snapping and going berserk without even getting to the bottom of what happened with Ho-Oh. Is that a deliberate thing there, or was Lugia meant to see something that would make him think that the culprit was from Orre, and more specifically someone he trusted from Orre?

Pokemon, masses of them, rose up against me with their humans, empowered by their auras. In the turmoil of my mind, I understood too late. The mortals whom I had loved and given my all to now sought to end my life, as they had already.

Oh, well. That would explain things. Though I wonder if this should’ve been foreshadowed more, since there wasn’t any real indication from Ho-Oh’s time that things would take a turn like this, so when Lugia follows up some indeterminate time later, it becomes less “outside context” to witness.

Though I would suppose that might explain a thing or two about how Lugia got shadowed in this continuity come XD-times, since I can’t imagine that returning to “oh gods, this place” would exactly make the process harder for Cipher.

Attacks struck me and glanced off me, no more than an ember to the ocean or a drop of water to a wildfire. None of them meant anything to me. Vengeance and justice for my sister would be mine. But these were mere ants. I sought their queen.

One among the mortals, dressed differently, and stronger than the others. Her aura flared with uncommon power, as she commanded the other humans and pokemon.

Lugia: “You ungrateful bitch! What did my sister ever do to deserve this?!”
712475006570856480.webp

Wind bent to my will as energy surged from my maw, razing the land around her and cutting her off. With barely a speck of my power I smashed her to the earth as I landed. My mind tore hers open as I cried out with fury like lightning. "Explain."

Even in her agony, she was defiant. Arrogant. Hates oozed from her soul like poison.

"Kill me, it matters not, now. We have our freedom. We won."

What. Lady, there was literally no indication that anybody was unhappy about the state of affairs from the last sequence.

"Freedom?" I made no effort to restrain the might of my psychic fury.

"You legendaries... We give you the best of our best but we're tired of living under your rule, beholden to your desires. This is our land. We refuse to rely on the whims of petty gods to supplant us any longer." She hissed out the words, triumphant. Happy.

I… kinda wonder if there should’ve been hints that Ho-Oh was starting to get overbearing as a ruler in Orre, especially getting overbearing while trying to chase a past that would never return. Since while I can buy things eventually winding up in a state of affairs such that “nope, birdie needs to go”, it probably would’ve worked a lot better with more foreshadowing and buildup since without it it feels like this rebellion kinda comes out of the blue.

I looked up from the fire around us, and I saw now, the truth I was blind to. Darkness, running through so many humans, even as a few innocent ones tried to resist. The people I loved are not my people any longer, and have not been for a long time. Chilling rage pooled in the hole in my heart. I turned my gaze back upon the human. She did not cower before me or flinch.

"You see? We have already won. Even if you kill me we will never serve you again. You will never have what belongs to us. I am but one of many. We are free."

Oh, so Lugia’s going to try and take his gift back in a rage, isn’t he?

I narrowed my gaze disdainfully. "Then so be it." She did not speak again. Yveltal could have her.

Many of her ilk fled the area, but I knew they would be back. Those innocent, a disturbingly small number, seemed to have hidden themselves for now themselves. The ones who remained to try to fight me never rise again. But there are many. So many, darkness in their souls, bitterness and greed and everything I did not see, because I did not look. Because I believed. Because I hoped.

Let’s check in on our Lugia-cam right now:

im-such-a-fool-sayaka.gif

I destroyed it all. I struck it down and chilled the land and scourged it with lightning and ice and flame.

Yeah, I knew it. Though I wonder if we should’ve dwelled a bit on Lugia’s thought process a bit more before he goes full:

Screen_Shot_2023-01-02_at_2.27.44_AM.png

Since from his perspective, he went out on a limb to be nice to this land against his sister’s protestations, and poured his heart and soul into making it a place that could thrive and the end result of it was that it turned into a land full of ingrates who didn’t remember what they did to make Orre and flatly killed his sister over a dispute.

When every living soul had fled or was gone, I was free to land beside the lifeless body of my sister. There I found a final, terrible blow. Buried in her heart was a single white scale. The very gift I granted Osiri so long ago.

I had killed my sister. For what else could be strong enough to kill a god as ourselves?

Oh, so the scale did become important after all.
699082306027126844.webp

Not sure how I feel about the idea of ‘only a Legendary or a part thereof can kill another Legendary’, but you can’t say that it’s not thematically great for a story like this.

The winds howled and wailed through the now empty remains of the town, and after a moment I realized the wailing was my own, the sounds of my grief. I bowed and gently pressed my head against my sister's one last time. She was cold now, as cold as the stone of her perch, stained with her blood and dripping into the sand. Her spirit was gone, far beyond my reach.

She’s a phoenix and will get better eventually?
921185848735711243.webp

Lugia: “Not helping right now!
712475006570856480.webp

Weeping, I gathered her lifeless body and brought her to Mt. Battle, and returned her to the flames within. Once the last vestige of her has been taken by the lava, I departed.

Anger boiled within me, a primal rage cold and white hot and burning eternally, as the skies and seas bend to my will and become a turbulent storm. All those who rose against me were razed. Those who were innocent, I spared. It was a small number. It was only as I glided listlessly across the empty desert that I felt the pain, and I realized the attacks I ignored from the humans had hurt me. To recover would take time.

>Those who were innocent, I spared.

Yeeeeeeeah, given that Lugia’s a bit of an unreliable narrator here, I’m going to take the under on that fitting human definitions of ‘innocent’ there, especially since Lugia’s literally equipped to be able to go “oh, your heart’s corrupted, time to die”.

Still I was consumed, alone, a half of a whole, a fragment without meaning. A shell.

Wait, I just realized, but given that Ho-Oh was able and wanted to revive Osiri, doesn’t that mean that if Lugia bit it during his failed attempt at checking out his encampment, that she could’ve rezzed him? Or does that not work on other Legendaries?

So with the last of my power, I took back my gift. I drew upon all my strength, and I pulled back the waters, locked them beneath the earth again, until endless salt flats were all that remained.

Yeah, I knew that things would come to this. Though part of me is wondering if had Lugia been less filled with grieving rage, if he’d just have skipped to this step and gone “here’s your salt flats, people, now piss off or have fun starving to death”

Let’s check back on that Lugia-cam right now:

PAHEwz5.gif

Though let’s see where things are going from-

Oh, that well, huh? ^^;

I awakened alone. Swirling, impenetrable gray mists surrounded me, broken by indistinct shapes that shifted and changed with the wind. The land had no true discernible form, only phantoms of trees and mountains. Though I had never laid eyes upon it myself, I knew without a shadow of a doubt where I was.

Yveltal's Embrace.

I was dead.

I actually wonder if this is based off anything from folklore, since it kinda reminds me of some near-death experiences that are reported from Eastern cultures.

And I was alone.

I mean, would you really be happier if Lugia deliberately killed himself just so that way you two could be back together with each other, Ho-Oh?

For the first time in all my life, I knew solitude. A hole that ran far deeper than the one in my chest. The chasm that separated me from my brother was an impenetrable wall of gray, severing us in half. The link that I knew my whole life, the link that was my whole life, was gone.

I actually wonder if Kitakami’s crystal pool was around whenever this occurred since… yeah. Considering some events very deep in Indigo Disk, I can imagine that it’d have been a popular hangout spot for Lugia if he knew about it.

My heart burned, aching with the memory of the blow that struck me down. That glint of shimmering silver-white. The price of his belief and my love. The very gift given to Osiri by my brother so long ago. It would be even longer still is the time until my physical body is healed. Until I would see my brother again.

I mean, there is an alternative solution to that problem, but… that would get really, really dark in short order so yeah, let’s not go rooting for it. ^^;

For the first time I noticed my face and neck were damp. The tears didn't sizzle away, and I realized that I was cold. All my life I had known warmth, even in the harshest of winters. I was Ho-Oh of the Eternal Flame. Now I was nothing.

I bowed my head and I wept.

401083507872366598.webp

Aw…

After a time, I sensed a presence, though it did not seem possible to track the passage of time here.

Turning about, I sought out the presence. The mists receded. Upon a gnarled tree rested a jagged crimson and black avian bird, eyes like cold flames and a neck ringed in pure white. He dipped his head.

"Greetings, Ho-Oh." His voice was strange. Raspy, as if unused, yet with a tone of regality. I couldn't help but note how my name rolled off his tongue oddly.

Yveltal: “So, what brought you here this time? And seriously, how on earth do you manage to die when you’re the one with the resurrection powers?”
803141280380485632.webp

"Yveltal." I spat the word, a spark of something forming inside me. I studied him but could not read his impassive face and stoic body. My talons dug into the nothingness beneath me.

He regarded me with frustrating calmness, his eyes free of any anger. He was studying me.

"You should not be here." Despite his matter of fact tone, there was a sadness to his voice. A sorrow that rankled my feathers. As if I needed Death's pity. After everything he'd done.

Waaaaaaait, but logically haven’t Ho-Oh and Lugia been here in this afterlife before? Unless this was their first life cycle ever and now it’s Ho-Oh’s first reincarnation ever. It might make sense to have Yveltal allude to that if so.

"The Eternal Flame should not have been snuffed out? Truly a stunning conclusion to come to." My voice was drier than the desert I left behind.

A ripple passed through his feathers and his eyes seemed to harden before they softened again. "It was not meant to upset you. Forgive me."

Huh, Yveltal is surprisingly chill here. Which is a bit of a trip given how aggressive it was depicted in that one anime movie and in PSMD.

Never. "Have you only come to speak nonsense, or is there a purpose to your presence, oh gracious Lord of Death?"

"Only to offer my-" he hesitated. "An affirmation. I regret that we must meet under such circumstances. One such as yourself did not deserve to come to these lands as you did, not after all you gave."

Ho-Oh: “Wait, how on earth were you even aware of what I was up to in Orre?” >v>;
Yveltal: “I have my ways. Don’t question them too hard.”

A tiny flicker of curiosity shined past my annoyance. "All I gave?" I studied him closer. Until this moment, my only knowledge of him was by name and purpose, never face to face. "What do you know of what I gave?"

Yveltal flew down and approached slowly, dipping his head as he passed me. Now at ground-level, I could see he stood taller than me, if only by a margin.

Once next to me, he stretched out a wing. With a graceful motion, he dispelled the mists around us, revealing a shimmering pool of water. The reflection rippled, distorting the image of the two of us, before warping into a familiar sight.

My former home.

Ho-Oh:
795119682369093724.gif

“Wait, did you always have that there? Since I swear I didn’t remember anything about there being vision pools in the afterlife.”
Yveltal: “It’s been a while since we last met, so some details might have grown hazy for you. To say nothing about how you probably don’t get to hold onto memories across lives.”

The city I once loved, burned; a broken, stained dais, all that remained. Golden blood, my life and my love, everything I sacrificed year after year, draining into the sands. The few people and pokemon not slain by their kin wept in anguish and cried out in anger. I could not tear my gaze from the site of my death.

Wait, is this meant to be before or after Lugia came along and then promptly razed Orre to the ground?

It was not until Yveltal spoke again that I was jarred from my trance.

"I often watch the mortal lands as part of my duties. And to observe the way you and your brother transformed the people of the land was a beautiful sight to behold."

Ho-Oh: “...”
701085210766344223.webp

Yveltal: “I mean, I was talking more about at the beginning, though hey, the ending wasn’t half-bad either. Never knew that Lugia had that destructive side in him. I should honestly consider extending him a position.” ^v^

[ ]

"And what good is that beauty now?" I turned upon him, eyes blazing. "Everything we gave was for nothing."

"Not for nothing—"

I flared my wings and took a step towards him. "Do not speak as if you understand anything of what transpired. Just because you watched means nothing."

I kinda think that it might make sense to show Ho-Oh’s thought process a bit more before having her respond to Yveltal, since we’ve had a pretty long streak of unbroken dialogue up to this point.

Ho-Oh: “Seriously, don’t you get off on watching disasters or something like that? How on earth is any of this supposed to make me feel better?” >v>;

"I understand enough to see the truth," he said coldly.

"Truth? The only truth is we made a mistake giving mortals a chance in the first place. I have no need for your meaningless observations."

The mists thickened, and the air grew heavy. Tilting my beak upwards I continued to glare at him. There was no more to fear from him here. Now I could see the anger in him, the fluffed feathers and the disgusting smug look. Yet beneath that, a sense of... disappointment? Self-righteous bastard.

"Enjoy your eternal solitude." Yveltal turned and spread his wings, then vanished into the mists.

Ho-Oh: “Hey, wait! Nobody said anything about this being an eternal solitude! I’m supposed to be reincarnated in a few centurie-!” OvO

I watched him go, a chill swallowing me. No longer could I see the tree or the pool, only gray again. My feathers deflated and I was struck suddenly by the all consuming silence. I didn't like it.

Solitude gives me time with my thoughts. Too much time. Death took everything from me, but directing my anger at it was pointless now. For however long I was to be here, I do not find myself wanting to spend it in this terrible silence.

Ho-Oh: “Is this really how the entire rest of the fic is going to be like? Just me stuck here in this void?” ·v·

Restlessly, I soared through the mists with no purpose or reason, if only to occupy myself and hear the sound of my own wings. In time, another pair of wing beats joined my own. Wordlessly, I glided alongside Yveltal.

Apparently, it was I who had to break the silence. "Perhaps it was harsh to rebuke your thoughts so... hastily." Even if you deserved it. I turned to study him as we flew.

Yveltal: “Ho-Oh, you do know that I can tell that you’re not sorry, right?” -v-;

"So I see you finally sickened of your solitude." His voice was sharp and cutting now, lacking the gentleness from before. "Has the eternal flame finally burned itself out?"

In a second, my anger rekindled. "This is what I get for apologizing to death," I snarled. "I see you only sought me out to preen once more, o mighty one."

Infuriatingly he did not flinch, or rise to anger. "I expected too much of you."

Ho-Oh: “Hey! What’s that supposed to mean?!”
785236292803100683.webp

Heat flared across my body and red swirled through my vision. How dare death mock me on top of all he'd done? The embers of my annoyance blazed to life as I confronted him.

"I have nothing to apologize for. It is you who owe me one!"

Yeah, I figured that Ho-Oh wouldn’t be happy about that.

Scorn bled into his eyes as he turned upon me. "For what?"

The fires within me shifted from orange anger to white hot rage. "For taking everything from me! My home burns because of you. My brother grieves because of you. You snatched Osiri from me, took his life in your talons and killed him."

Yveltal:
oh-no.gif

Yveltal shrieked, a horrible rising cry that drew the breath from my lungs and sucked the air from the very world itself. A pervading chill seeped down to my very bones. Words failed me like a sputtering candle, and my body betrayed me, my feathers wilting as I drew my head in and cowered.

His wings, spread out, seemed to swallow all that was around me. Darkness rose up in the mist until red and black were all that remained, and icy blue. His words pierced like a dagger into my chest, lodging into my lungs.

"I am the god of death. Not of killing." His body screamed anger; spread wings and flared feathers, talons tearing at the ground. "Do not dare to think for a moment you know of my duty."

I mean, if Yveltal wanted to twist the knife harder, he could’ve pointed out that it wasn’t him who depopulated the region. That was all the locals + Lugia in action and he just came along to collect the souls afterwards.

I could bear it no longer, and tore my eyes away from his gaze, the color gone from me. The air returned to normal and he folded his wings, a strange spark in his gaze. I felt his eyes lingering on me. Waiting.

I turned away before he could, spreading my wings and flying away.

<><><>

Much time passed, time I spent alone. Solitude was agony, deeper than I could bear. My heart burned with resentment and roared with loneliness. Death to a divine is not as to a mortal. There were no other spirits in the realm. I was the only legend to have died, the only one foolish enough to have loved a mortal enough to bring such a fate upon myself.

This feels like another part where you could split things off into another scene given the big jump-ahead in time. Though at least as of the present day, this definitely isn’t true anymore. Though if Ho-Oh really was the first Legendary to die, it does make me wonder how on earth Lugia had an awareness of what would happen if he died all the way back in the Life section of this one-shot.

The black pit in my heart grew as my thoughts turned to Osiri. Did he remember me with regret and disappointment? Perhaps he hated me for turning my back on him in his last hours. If he had simply accepted my offer I would not be here, alone.

And if I had remained with him in the end, he would not have been alone.

Yeeeeeeeeah, you kinda picked a terrible time and place to sequester yourself in a fit of rage there, Ho-Oh.

The last ember of anger in me died out and my wings faltered. I sank to the ground as a keening cry escaped my beak. And as the weight of my loneliness dawned upon me I found myself wondering a strange thought.

Can Death feel lonely too?

Narrator:
589897202890047522.webp

Ho-Oh: “That was a rhetorical question!” >v<

When I flew again, I told myself it was to give myself something to do. But I knew in my heart what I was seeking. A part of me hoped for the rest of my time here, I would simply endure being alone, and then return to my brother so we could depart for a new land. The rest of me longed for peace.

Oh, so that’s how these two wound up going to Johto in this setting.

Familiar crimson graced me after what felt like another eternity. I cannot ignore the way my heart soared at the sight. The air between us rippled and thickened with tension. Caution replaced the kindness of the first time he greeted me, along with a cool anger.

I landed, steadying myself on the formless earth. My eyes met his and I bowed my head. "I am sorry." A flicker of surprise ran through him and he tipped his head. I continued. "For so long I was angry, and when I saw you... I saw him."

When Yveltal spoke, his voice was like a gentle caress. "Osiri."

Wait, wait, wait. How did Ho-Oh see Osiri in Yveltal again? Since I think that I missed a step here.

I flinched at his name, and hung my head. "I convinced myself he rejected me and you took him from me. But I turned my back on him. When he needed me most, I was not there. It was I who turned my back on him."

He didn't speak, as if sensing I was not done.

"I'm sorry for being so cruel to you. You came to me to try and offer companionship and I gave you anger instead."

Yveltal: “I mean, if it’s any consolation, I kinda get that a lot here. Turns out that people get really angry when you point out that they die when they’re killed.” -v-;

Instead of a rebuke, he drew alongside me, pressing his body against my own in a gesture of comfort. "I am sorry as well. In truth, a part of me envied you. To walk among mortals, to be loved and celebrated. Even though I understand it is not my place, I have found myself wishing to experience such a gift. To see you reject it stung me."

All we need is to hook you up to a death lazor so that way a little boy/girl can befriend you and you too, can have a mortal you care about and would tear the world down for. ^^

My heart lurched. I'd spent so long dwelling on the pain Osiri's loss brought, I had forgotten his love. The home he gave me. His gift. And I had not considered how it would feel to never have known such love.

Yeah, that actually does make me wonder if for as awful as things got towards the end, if Ho-Oh really did have some role in stoking the conflict between her and the rest of Orre.

Yveltal continued, his voice low and gentle. "Anger is a terrible thing. And the guilt it brings is a heavy burden, and I would not wish that fate on anyone. But you must not allow yourself to be consumed. If you cannot move past the darkness it will define you."

Let’s not even get into how that’s probably afflicting Lugia in the present day while he’s alive.
1105356025936228434.webp

"Then what am I to do?"

"You must let it die. If it dies, you can move on, and you can grow. But as long as it lives it will have a hold over you."

"What if the pain is all I am now? What happens when it dies?"

"Then? You are reborn."

Oh, I guess that Pokémon that are in a position to reincarnate in this world don’t get to hold onto anything when they come back to life.

Time passed, and my sole companion amongst the mists was Yveltal. Though he was occasionally away, tending to his duties in some way, he always returned. In our times together, we observed the mortal world.

In the aftermath of my death, my land transformed. The earth has a curious way of remembering the deeds committed upon it. The blood of my betrayal stained the sands and poisoned it to its very core. It cast a deep shadow over the hearts of wild pokemon, blackening them and shutting them off to all but their pain.

I mean, them noping out over the prospect of the giant angry seagull coming back to blow away everything again surely didn’t help with Orre’s recovery, just saying.

Though the humans were not changed the same way, as they did not have the same connection to the land, the poison ate at them nonetheless, little by little. Pokemon and humans began to leave and in time, all that remained of the home I knew was a barren wasteland, devoid of color. A place no pokemon could survive, and no human could live. Even my brother was powerless against these shadows.

That actually makes me wonder just how old those settlements in Colosseum-era Orre are if Ho-Oh is explicitly mentioning that by her estimation, the land is just flatly uninhabitable.

So it remained, for hundreds upon hundreds of seasons; until I lost count.

At least I was not alone as I watched. Yveltal brushed his head against my neck.

I turned to him, searching yet dreading to ask. "Can it ever be whole again?"

1d6.jpg

"Yes. But it will require hope."

And a looooooooot of Pokéspots thrown into the mix. But it’s theoretically doable?
921185848735711243.webp

I could not help but snort in amusement. "Hope? Hope brought us here."

"That is not all it did. Before the sea and before the blessings you and your brother gave, and before Osiri, the land had nothing. You gave it life."

Ho-Oh: “Which… he just went and took back at the end.”
1105356025936228434.webp

Yveltal: “You two can give it to more deserving people that come there sometime in the future?” ^v^;

I tipped my head, studying him. "All we gave was a few simple blessings... the humans did everything, and destroyed everything."

Yveltal's gaze is distant as he speaks, yet smoldering with an admirable intensity.

"To hope... it is more than an empty feeling or some paltry wish. Your brother sought a future where humans and pokemons could live in peace, so he gave them the sea. You opened your heart to Osiri, and the people became strong because of their time battling you." He turned, fixing his eyes on me.

Until they forget about it in another couple hundred years and ruin everything. Again. But let’s think positive here!

"As long as you are willing to believe and act on the future you seek, there is your hope."

<><><>

Death ended too quickly.

A thousand conversations together were but an instant, forever stamped on my memory. All the time we spent together still felt like only a brief moment to me, and I found a part of me wishing I could remain in his company.

This is another part that IMO feels like you could hack things up into another scene.

Yet my heart yearned to return to the blue skies and the familiar winds of the mortal world.

We perched side by side on the edge of a misty volcano, gazing into its maw. Gray swirled below me, an impenetrable fog, but at its center pulsed a scarlet glow. A barrier between this world and my own. The way back to the mortal world, now open to me.

Oh, so Legendaries just poof into existence when they’re born in this setting, huh? No baby phase at all?

I turned, running my beak through his feathers, preening him as we are accustomed to. He returned the gesture, and for a moment, we savored the silence and company.

Huh, Ho-Oh has definitely gotten really friendly with Yveltal with her time in Not!Purgatory. Though I suppose it makes sense since she doesn’t exactly have much in the way of alternative company.

"There is something I need to tell you before you go."

Ho-Oh: “I’m sorry, what? But how on earth do you know this when there’s been no indication that Osiri was ever in this place at all?” .^.

My heart skipped a beat and I turned to him in surprise. Oddly, until now, it never occurred to me to ask him about Osiri. Or perhaps I had been afraid to.

"He loved you as his own kin, until the end. And he would want you to know that he understands your anger. Everything you needed to say, you told him without speaking aloud. He forgave you."

If the idea is that Osiri already passed on and is no longer present in the afterlife, you specifically want all of this in past tense.

It had been a long time since I had cried, but I could not hold back the tears any longer.

With his final words, Yveltal had given me back something I hadn't realized I'd lost. Words felt like a paltry expression for the feeling I wished to express. So instead, I said nothing, leaning closer to him as we spent our final moments together.

Alright, time to see what it looks like when a Legendary comes back out on the other side in this continuity.

Rebirth

Lava. Surging past me as I soared upward, bursting forth and free from the maw of Mt. Battle, my cry filling the skies as I proclaimed my return. As I crossed the threshold between the land of mortal and the land of spirit, a wave of emotions overwhelmed me, a burning torrent tearing open my chest and setting every feather alight.

Ah yes, getting reborn in the style of a phoenix from mythology. I should be a lot less surprised.

My consciousness slipped away and I found myself drowning, buried beneath a thousand tons of ocean and watching myself through the eyes of my brother, body splayed across the sand.

Anger and a horrible primal fear as I lay there, my blood pouring from my own chest— A strangled cry escaped my beak as memory after memory bled through me until the boundary between reality and past and my brother's emotions threatened to sweep me away.

"Ho-Oh."

Wait… is Lugia meant to be slumped over on a beach right now? Or else what is going on here again? ^^;

His voice drew me from the depths and I found myself opening my eyes, not even aware I had closed them. My wings were limp but I was airborne, and I recognized the telltale blue shine of a psychic hold keeping me from plummeting to the ground below.

"Lugia." To speak his name again felt like the first wind of spring, pure and blissful. He hovered before me, eyes shining with iridescent tears. The wind gathered under my wings and my heart stirred. I leaned forwards, pressing my forehead against the cool scales of his own forehead.

Finally, we were whole again.

Oh, so the ocean thing was metaphorical. Duly noted.

As one, we danced through the skies, and for a moment, I was free. I was happy.

The feeling didn't last. I saw our home below, ravaged, and my brother's shame washed over me. No life remained, only gray and shadow, my blood a poison that tarnished the very core of the land.

Lugia: “Er… yeah. A lot of things have changed since you were last here, Ho-Oh. Some of them I’m kinda responsible for…”
662499149396180996.webp

"You were right, Ho-Oh," my brother said. He banked, setting his sights on the distant horizon, his back to the sea. "It's time for us to go. I only wish I'd seen the truth earlier."

I actually wonder what convinced Lugia to finally settle down at the Burned Tower before it got torched, since… yeah. This experience sounds like a fantastic reason to just go to the Whirl Islands and never leave it again.

I didn't follow. I wanted to. I longed to go, to leave behind the glass burned sands and frosted canyons, and the lava scorched slopes of the volcano. But I think of Osiri and all the humans we did help, and of Yveltal.

"No."

Lugia stopped and turned.

"You were right. To be curious, to believe in a better future and to try to help."

D’aww… even if I can already tell that Lugia is going to have another episode of self-doubt in the wake of whatever went down in Johto.

"But what can we do? There is nothing left for us," Lugia said softly. "The curse runs deep, and will not be forgotten. It cannot be undone. Life has left this place, even wild pokemon will not stay."

I gazed out upon the land which we once called home. "You're right, we can't fix it now. But we can still choose hope."

Lugia stared at me, puzzled. "Choose hope?"

Ho-Oh: “Also, us hanging around here is probably giving them ideas that they’ll die if they try coming back, so…” ^v^;

I sensed him probing for answers, but I kept my thoughts hidden. The words I wanted to say, I wished to speak out loud. It was the only way to make them real.

"We can't save the land if we believe it is lost. To do nothing is to doom it, but I desire to see the sea return and the shadows repelled." My heart grew heavy with every word I spoke, until it was almost leaden in my chest. "You once gifted Osiri the sea. Now I will give my own gift."

Lugia: “Ho-Oh, this region is a waste of barren salt flats right now? Just what can you even do to give a gift to improve things?” .^.

"Ho-Oh..."

"A divine bestowment."

My brother recoiled sharply and I forced myself not to block his shock and fear. It washed over me, pulled at me, begged me to change my mind. But my heart was already set. If I channeled all my energy into the land, I could heal some of it. Repel the shadows. Enough of it that the future would have a chance. Even if it meant more separation, and perhaps cost my divinity.

Oh, so that’s how you balance Legendaries to keep them from being able to do gamebreaking stuff willy-nilly in this setting. Duly noted, then. Even if it makes me wonder just how many once-Legendaries out there have willfully depowered themselves.

Unflinching, I met his gaze. "I am sorry, so very sorry. But I have to do this."

"Why? For what?" Lugia asked.

"For who," I replied softly. "Osiri. I refused to accept his death, and my last act in his life was to hurt him. I want to do good. No matter the cost."

Lugia: “... Ho-Oh, just what do you have in mind here? Isn’t this all a bit late right now?”

The clouds overhead became gray, and a few raindrops fell across my feathers, then vanished with a sizzle.

"But why? Haven't you already given enough?"

"This land was barren once. You chose to believe in a human. And in return, he brought life. He gave us a home, and he gave us love,” I told him. “Then the ones who called this home turned their backs on us, and stole my life. But as cruel as those humans were, if we believe all are as them, then we are giving up. My first life was taken from me, but my second I can give freely."

And thus the reason why these two decided to give things another go in Johto. Or at least I think that’s what this is getting at.

As I continued, I locked eyes with him. "If I give my life for this land by choice, I can give it a chance to be whole again. Not now but... in time."

Lugia gazed out across the horizon, and I could not read his thoughts. "I hated them for what they did to you. For nothing. No reason other than falsities lies they placed upon themselves. Am I to watch you die for them again?"

"There cannot be change without death." I drew close to my brother, and brushed my wing against his. "I am not dying for the ones who slayed me, but for the future. If our home is to one day be reborn, this is the only way."

Lugia: “Are we really just supposed to stay here in all of this, Ho-Oh?”
916590116670144542.webp

Ho-Oh: “Well, no. We’d probably need to find a second home in the interim, but it would be nice to be able to come back to an Orre made whole one day.” ^v^;

He turned to me, his eyes blazing. "Then I shall give my own blessing as well. Even weakened as I am, with both of us bearing the burden, perhaps it will not take our lives. And perhaps one day, we may see the seas return and the land whole again."

I wonder how this setting’s Lugia feels about this in retrospect in light of the whole episode being shadowed in Orre during XD.
1105356025936228434.webp

I could not argue with him. His mind was as set as mine, our hearts and souls resolute. For this, we would give all we could.

In the end, we did not lose our life, though we drew so near to death I imagined I saw a familiar flash of crimson and black, and a watchful cyan gaze. Thank you, I whispered in my heart.

Wait, but… what exactly did you two do again? ^^;

Hope could not undo the damage done. It could not bring back the wild pokemon or rewind the scales of time; nor could it burn the shadows from the land. But it could bring color. It could spark a fire, a blazing carpet of green on the slopes of the very volcano my body was once laid to rest. It could raise up a forest where only rock once stood, and it can bring a tiny flicker of life back to the land.

It could not make right the wrong, but it could give a second chance.

Oh, so are they the reason why Agate Village is dramatically more livable than the entire rest of the region or something? Since I’m kinda getting that vibe right about now.

Golden desert dunes sprawl before us; a tapestry of shining sand. In the distance, a scarlet-mouthed volcano looms over copper canyons carving through the land. A river of azure water weaves through the emerald slopes to the west. Together we soar across this expanse, the winds carrying us into the rising sun.

A golden heart and a silver soul. Sister and brother, two apart and yet together we are whole. Just as east and west have no border, nor do our spirits. For now, we are wanderers again, bound to guide the hearts and souls of mortals.

We are Ho-Oh and Lugia.

And we have no home.

But one day, we will.

That actually makes me wonder in this continuity if they went to Johto or to Navel Rock first, since those are technically candidates for the home of a Ho-Oh and/or Lugia.

Whew, that was a bit of a chunky one-shot there, and there’s definitely a lot to sift through, so let’s start with the positives:

I thought that you had neat, unconventional tie-in between Lugia and Ho-Oh and Orre that still feels pretty believable. Like Lugia and Ho-Oh aren’t what people would reflexively think of as “Orre” Pokémon, but they did feature prominently across Colosseum and XD, and it was nice to see you make an actual story behind that and where things came from it. I also thought that the characterization was a pretty big draw, since just seeing Lugia and Ho-Oh bounce off each other and how their outlooks evolve based off their experiences is one of this one-shot’s bigger draws, especially seeing how Ho-Oh evolves from being a legendary standoffish towards humans and normal Pokémon and wanting to avoid them, to someone who ultimately acts as their advocate to Lugia to give them another shot in spite of literally having all her fears early on in the story confirmed by the ones they met in Orre.

As for flaws, I noticed that there were a lot of verb tense errors, which you already acknowledged. I tried cleaning up the ones that I spotted, but I probably still missed a good number. In general, the verb tenses for a given point in time in a scene should be consistent. e.x. if the present time is dealt with in “present tense” verbiage, “past tense” verbiage should very specifically be used for the likes of flashbacks to past events. I also felt that some of the paragraphs here and there were a little too chunky and would’ve been smoother to read as multiple smaller ones.

On the more structural side, there were a couple parts of the story where I was basically asking “wait, what’s going on?” either at something happening in the story or a character’s thought process, which would be cleared up by some combination of being more explicit about things that are otherwise implied or else adding supplemental description or internal thoughts in narration. On the more structural side of things, I unfortunately kinda felt like the sequence in which Orre turns on Ho-Oh kinda came out of nowhere. Like, yeah, I can buy that would be the eventual destination but I wonder if it’d have worked better with more foreshadowing that things were taking a bad turn locally in Orre against Ho-Oh and some hints as to why as opposed to there being “all of a sudden, the Queen of Orre and most of the locals decided they hated Ho-Oh and Lugia and didn’t want to live under their rule”.

Lastly, a part of me actually wonders if this story would’ve worked better as a multi-shot, even if I understand the meta reason why these were shipped to last year’s writing contest. Like you already have three internal divisions to this one-shot with “Life”, “Death”, and “Rebirth”. If “Life” was further subdivided, it wouldn’t take a whole lot of work for them to be turned into standalone chapters, especially after factoring in how the length would increase from added descriptions to each part.

Not sure if that feedback was what you were hoping to receive @Flyg0n , but on balance, I had fun with this story, and I wouldn’t mind seeing a followup one day about how Lugia and Ho-Oh came to pick Johto as their present homes. Even if I had some issues with this one-shot, there’s a lot of genuine charm and imagination behind it, and it’d be fun to see it expanded on.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Amusingly, before this sentence I was actually assuming this was Ho-Oh's POV we were in; there was no clear indication which of them was the POV character and which was the sister. Unsure if the ambiguity is intended or not.

they're good humans, Brent

That moment when you ask the legendary for drinking water and they create the sea, which is undrinkable :V (I'm sort of surprised they already had the means to get fresh water from seawater - if there was no sea before, why did they know that? Or did Lugia not literally create the sea, just add seawater where there wasn't before? I guess that might make sense.)

Lugia informed me that my volcanic home had been given a nickname because of me - Mt. Battle.
Aha, nice. So this isn't Johto; this is Orre. Fascinating to see a take on Lugia and Ho-Oh where they live there before Johto.

The spines on my brother's back rattled and his eyes glinted like chips of ice in a frosted sea. "I see only one coward before me, who truly fears death."

Ohoho, I enjoy their connection meaning they both feel it when they snipe at each other. Creates a bit of a unique dynamic.

Perhaps my brother expected me to feel sad, as he did. The only thing I felt was burning, blazing anger. The lava stirred and churned, and the heat in the inner chamber increased to a level almost unbearable for any not gifted with inner fire. "Osiri was a fool. He brought this upon himself." Why should I be sad? "He had his chance and he rejected it."
Well, someone doesn't deal well with death :copyka2:

I like the fury in this paragraph.

Hates oozed from her soul like poison.
Is this meant to be hates in the plural, or is this a typo?

Ooof, ouch. What a way to symbolically make Lugia's choice to trust humans appear misplaced.

Aha, so here's the reason Orre is so barren again.

Turning about, I sought out the presence. The mists receded. Upon a gnarled tree rested a jagged crimson and black avian, eyes like cold flames and a neck ringed in pure white. He dipped his head. "Greetings, Ho-Oh." His voice was strange. Raspy, as if unused, yet with a tone of regality. I couldn't help but note how my name rolled off his tongue oddly.
I feel like this paragraph could use being broken up before the quote.

His wings, spread out, seemed to swallow all that was around me. Darkness rose up in the mist until red and black were all that remained, and icy blue. His words pierced like a dagger into my chest, lodging into my lungs. "I am the god of death. Not of killing." His body screamed anger; spread wings and flared feathers, talons tearing at the ground. "Do not dare to think for a moment you know of my duty."
Really dig this paragraph and Yveltal drawing this distinction.

Ohoho, Shadow Pokémon as a uniquely Orrean phenomenon originating from Ho-Oh's betrayal rather than Cipher technology per se :eyes:

There is something I need to tell you before you go."

"He loved you as his own kin, until the end. And he would want you to know that he understands your anger. Everything you needed to say, you told him without speaking aloud. He forgives you."

Aww, very cathartic.

Hope cannot undo the damage done. It cannot bring back the wild pokemon or rewind the scales of time; nor can it burn the shadows from the land. But it can bring color. It can spark a fire, a blazing carpet of green on the slopes of the very volcano my body was once laid to rest. It can raise up a forest where only rock once stood, and it can bring a tiny flicker of life back to the land.

It cannot make right the wrong, but it can give a second chance.

We are Ho-Oh and Lugia.

And we have no home.

But one day, we will.
And a very good ending! I think you really nailed writing this whole bit and making the partial restoration of the Orre we know feel genuinely hopeful and moving.

All in all, I liked Ho-Oh a lot and think her characterization ultimately carried this story. She's so angry because she's scared, and you did a nice job of showing that. I liked how she was won over by Osiri through battling, the way she refuses offerings initially because she doesn't need worship but reluctantly accepts it when it's put as gratitude for what she did for them, the way she reacts to Osiri's upcoming death with anger and storms out with this conviction that he'll come see her and let her extend his life, only he doesn't.

Likewise, I enjoyed seeing her grow and change during her stay in Yveltal's Embrace - first snapping and defensive with him, then being driven by the silence and solitude to admitting she was hasty only to flare right back up with anger again and accuse him of taking Osiri from her, then spending a while with nothing to do but think about his rebuke and about Osiri again, trying to justify to herself that he should have just accepted her offer, only to come to the inescapable conclusion that it was she who left him to die alone. That final progression about Osiri felt a little abrupt as it played out, perhaps, but I really liked that it ends with that particular realization of her own culpability, that the fact she couldn't be with him in his final moments really was on her because she chose to walk away in her fear and denial. It just feels very good to see her admit this to Yveltal, and sweet to see Yveltal confess in return that he was jealous of what she had.

And of course Ho-Oh doesn't really want to ask Yveltal about Osiri, not when she fears the truth is he resented her as he died. I'm sort of surprised Yveltal never just decided to tell her, but I suppose it makes sense for it to be something he saves for when Ho-Oh is truly ready to return to the mortal world - she needed to learn and understand and accept what happened.

And, like I said, I think you nailed the landing here, which is really important to how well a story ultimately comes across. Speaking of how hope can't undo the damage or reverse the scales of time but it can bring some color back, restore a flicker of life, was just a really strong emotional way to drive the point home, and the description of the region that follows is beautiful, really gives a sense of hope about a place that feels kind of barren and hopeless in canon - they really managed to plant the seed to make it heal, make it better, and that's stirring.

I'm sort of curious why Ho-Oh was so distrustful of humans to start with in this story - a big point was made of how Lugia was down to trust the humans but Ho-Oh insisted mortals are cruel and cause war and strife, but we never quite get into why Ho-Oh had such a strong opinion against humans even before the betrayal here, and when we move into Ho-Oh's POV it doesn't quite feel like she's actually distrustful in that way, so much as just calling humans silly mortals, fragile, fleeting, meaningless. Ultimately it turns out humans do end up betraying her with cruelty and violence, but we haven't actually spent much time developing Ho-Oh's thoughts on humans, why she always thought this and whether anything of that belief lingered with her even after befriending Osiri.

You talked a bit about the betrayal in your author's note and asked about tips for making it come across better. I do think it reads a little weird right now that it sounds like over time most of Orre's inhabitants joined this anti-legendary cult (it's explicitly stated there are only a few innocents, and you mention in the note that those who didn't agree just fled or were killed), but Ho-Oh and Lugia didn't notice the population thinning, or any sense that anything's off with the enthusiasm of the festival crowd as it becomes mostly anti-legendaryists, nor did any pro-legendary person ever catch wind of what was going on and choose to try to tip them off. I think something I might do if I were writing this would be something like

- The reason Ho-Oh is initially distrustful of humans is that she has actually witnessed or heard of humans committing horrors and violence, and though she grows to trust Osiri's people, that knowledge lingers with her. She's emphatic about the possibility humans might betray them even after accepting and growing to care about them a bit, though over time she stops bringing it up; Lugia always denies it.
- The anti-legendaryists are relatively few in number, and most of the people of Orre just don't know about their plans. When they carry them out, most of the peaceful people flee, rather than actively trying to fight back against them; they were caught just as unawares.
- All Lugia can see, though, is that Ho-Oh was right all along that humans would betray them in the end. It doesn't have to be most of them, just enough to poison everything. Lugia still kills their leader, strikes back in his grief, perhaps thinks about how even the ones who weren't attacking were running away and doing nothing to stop them.
- The betrayal itself is still just as shocking and sudden - Ho-Oh hasn't been thinking poorly of humans for a while, after all, and we're in Lugia's POV when it happens.
- While Ho-Oh is in Yveltal's Embrace, they talk about the betrayal; we learn Yveltal watched it all, after all. He can confirm that they didn't do anything to prompt this, that these humans had simply twisted things around in their own minds to believe their relationship to the legendaries was toxic, but also point out that not all of the humans took part in it, that so many still sincerely loved and revered them. I think this is something that would fit in quite well with that progression and as part of Ho-Oh learning to let go of her anger (as it is her anger at the humans for doing this to her actually plays a surprisingly small part there), and I think it would be a very sensible way to clarify your intent there without awkwardly stepping out of the POV or lengthening the story by a lot!

But that's just my thoughts off the top of my head, and of course it's up to you whether you want to make further changes to this and whether they'd look anything like this.

Overall, though, I thought you did a lovely job, particularly with Ho-Oh and with the ending, which I really can't overstate is executed just right to make the overall resonance work - endings are hard, and being able to really stick the landing does so much for a story. Nice work!

A movement among the dunes caught my eyes, one not caused by the ceaseless winds and shifting sands.
I believe the phrase is "caught my eye".

To see a human this far from any village is a rare thing indeed, especially in a desert so harsh and a land unforgiving.
I can't quite parse "a land unforgiving" here; should it be "a land so unforgiving"?

There I gave up my divine form, and made myself appear as a simple pokemon.
Since "made myself appear as a simple Pokémon" is not a full sentence that could stand on its own, the comma before and is unnecessary here.

Jaws close around my neck and I close my eyes and await my fate.
A shift into present tense here.

They protected one another, shared their burdens, and their supplies.
"Their supplies" is neither sensibly an item in a list not a sentence of its own here, so the comma before it feels off.

During the times they were not traveling, they battled together, growing stronger in mind and body, and bonding with their partners.
Again, the final comma doesn't belong; the comma right now suggests the final bit of the sentence should be a continuation of "they battled together", with "growing stronger in mind and body" as an insertion, but then it should be "and bonded with their partners".

Only Osiri and his Flygon did not cower, and faced me with spirits unyielding.
Another comma-and splitting off a dependent clause that couldn't stand on its own.

I eased their fears, and explained to them I meant no harm.
Again.

Just a morsel of water, so we may quench our thirst, and ease the burden on our water pokemon.
And another one.

Reaching within me, I drew upon every ounce my power.
Think you're missing a word here; presumably every once of his power?

This one's a comma splice, two sentences that could stand on their own separated only by a comma. You could turn it into a period or a semicolon, or add an and after the comma.

And I sensed too, my brother's soul had found peace.
I believe there should be a comma before the too here, given it's an insertion into a sentence that'd make sense if you cut it out of it ("And I sensed my brother's soul had found peace.")

I tried to mute the emotions and sensations from our bond, I could still feel them lapping at my mind.
Comma splice again.

Her aura flared with uncommon power, as she commanded the other humans and pokemon.
Generally you never need a comma before "as".

Once the last vestige of her has been taken by the lava, I departed.
Present tense slip with "has" (possibly a typo).

Anger boiled within me, a primal rage cold and white hot and burning eternally, as the skies and seas bend to my will and become a turbulent storm.
Sentence starts in past tense but then goes into the present with "bend" and "become".

"Only to offer my-" he hesitated.
Since "He hesitated" is its own sentence - it doesn't describe how the dialogue is said - it should be capitalized normally.

Solitude gives me time with my thoughts.
Present tense again.

Your brother sought a future where humans and pokemons could live in peace, so he gave them the sea.
"pokemons"

But I think of Osiri and all the humans we did help, and of Yveltal.
More present tense.

Top Bottom