• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Fourth Anniversary Event Planning

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Fourth Anniversary Event Planning

It's that time of year again! The Thousand Roads community is turning four this year, and we'll be celebrating from April 23rd - May 7th with all kinds of events! The anniversary period is intended to be a relaxed community event where you can sample a number of small activities--go back to old favorites or try something new! This is also a chance for you to earn one of those coveted forum companions.

This is also a great time to give running your own community event a try! Whether you've been thinking about doing an art stream, doing a flash RP, or otherwise organizing a small community get-together, the anniversary is a great time to give it a shot. If you'd like to host an event of your own or otherwise help out with this year's anniversary, check out the "How You Can Help" section below.

Forum Events

- Drabble bingo returns by popular demand! Ask for a bingo card of prompts on a theme--or completely at random--and write ultra-short stories in response to win a prize!

- As usual, we'll be holding a small review event--leave a couple nice pieces of feedback this anniversary, and you could find yourself with a new forum companion!

- I'd like to revive/put a twist on the old Character Interviews thread... still mulling this one over, details to come soon!

Discord Events

- As usual, we'll be hosting a couple casual VC hangouts to open and close out the events!

- If you play Pokétwo, we'll also be setting off a couple incenses during the anniversary--hopefully resulting in much better spawns than last year!

- I meant to bring back Catnip Speed Dating less than a year after I ran the last one, but, well, better late than never. We'll be doing another lightning round read and reply swap this anniversary, too!

How You Can Help

- I'd love to get one-two other people to help me fill out drabble bingo!

- If you have any interest in running a run-off Discord event, such as a round of One Night Ultimate Zoroark or Mafia, an art or movie stream, or a small RP, now would be a great time to do it! Feel free to post here to gauge interest, or send me a DM if there's something you know you'd like to do.

- Similarly, a casual forum RP, game, or discussion thread wouldn't go amiss! If you have ideas for a short or low-commitment game that people could drop in and out of over the course of a couple weeks, please pitch it to me or to the thread!

- Perhaps a small art event? It's been a while since we've done a Smeargle Swap; if there's interest, I could run one of those.

- Any other thoughts on the event--activities you'd like to see (or not like to see!), ways to make it run more smoothly, or different things we ought to try, are all very much welcome!

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
I'd willing to host a few rounds of For the Queen for this anniversary!

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Chibi and I want to run a small RP in advance of the Heartache campaign, to tide people over and specifically to help them figure out what characters they'd like to bring! We'd like to do a faster-paced weekend-long "Truth or Dare" session in a Discord thread, and something a little slower-paced on the forum for folks for whom that'd be better suited.

And on that note, I'd like to formally announce Heartache very soon, for folks who've not had a chance to hear about it, and to put all the official info about it somewhere accessible.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Seconding a smeargle swap! I think it would be fun to do an art thing.

I've also long since wanted to do some kind of art corpse somehow? I've done it physically and I feel decent confidence it's possible to pull off digital.... I picture these being very short events (like you get your assignment and draw it in a few hours/1 day) so basically everyone gets an assignment for a part to draw (head, torso, hands, legs, feet) and then a host compiles them into one dreadful image. It's also possible to maybe organize by broad categories - biped, quadruped and.... Idk, heh.
I figure we'd need to do them in small groups though because numbers?

Best part is there's absolutely zero skill requirement!

Not sure if this is something people are interested in, but if so I would be fine hosting a couple perhaps! (Although depending on numbers having another host could be good...)

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
I could potentially host an anniversary Jackbox evening, if there's interest!
Awesome! I think people had a great time with that last time we played. Let me know when you might be interested in hosting this!

I'd willing to host a few rounds of For the Queen for this anniversary!
Awesome! It'll be great to have that game return this year. Just let me know when you're thinking you'd like to host.

Chibi and I want to run a small RP in advance of the Heartache campaign, to tide people over and specifically to help them figure out what characters they'd like to bring! We'd like to do a faster-paced weekend-long "Truth or Dare" session in a Discord thread, and something a little slower-paced on the forum for folks for whom that'd be better suited.

And on that note, I'd like to formally announce Heartache very soon, for folks who've not had a chance to hear about it, and to put all the official info about it somewhere accessible.
Is the idea that this is an open-to-all RP where people can bring whatever character they like, whether or not they're interested in Heartache, or is it intended to be a testing ground for people who intend to participate in the campaign? The former's fine; I think the latter would be better off as its own thing, to occur sometime later in May or June.

Seconding a smeargle swap! I think it would be fun to do an art thing.

I've also long since wanted to do some kind of art corpse somehow? I've done it physically and I feel decent confidence it's possible to pull off digital.... I picture these being very short events (like you get your assignment and draw it in a few hours/1 day) so basically everyone gets an assignment for a part to draw (head, torso, hands, legs, feet) and then a host compiles them into one dreadful image. It's also possible to maybe organize by broad categories - biped, quadruped and.... Idk, heh.
I figure we'd need to do them in small groups though because numbers?

Best part is there's absolutely zero skill requirement!

Not sure if this is something people are interested in, but if so I would be fine hosting a couple perhaps! (Although depending on numbers having another host could be good...)
Ooh, I love this idea! I think I'd want to do either this or a Smeargle rather than both, but if you're up for running it I think it would be a lot of fun. You probably couldn't fit more than five or so people in one image, so it would need to be small groups, yes, and depending on interest you might have four-five of them total. I'd be happy to run one or two myself, though!

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Ooh, I love this idea! I think I'd want to do either this or a Smeargle rather than both, but if you're up for running it I think it would be a lot of fun. You probably couldn't fit more than five or so people in one image, so it would need to be small groups, yes, and depending on interest you might have four-five of them total. I'd be happy to run one or two myself, though!

I'm good with whichever people are more interested in, honestly. I could always run a few Art Corpses another time anyway if people are in the mood for Smeargle.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
I think you probably won't get much feedback one way or the other about Smeargle vs Art Corpse--I'd say give it a shot if you're excited to try it and feel ready to do so. If not, you'll have other opportunities, like you said!

Quick reminder that I'm still looking for anyone who might be interested in helping to create drabble bingo cards this year! I'm going to be putting the full event schedule together over the next couple of days, so if there's anything you'd like to do this anniversary, please let me know soon!

MintyMimix

Otherworldly Dessert
Pronouns
They/Them
Partners
  1. lurantis
  2. noivern-astrea
Awesome! I think people had a great time with that last time we played. Let me know when you might be interested in hosting this!
The only weekend I can't do is the 26th - 28th, but otherwise I should be available Friday evenings (EDT) or Saturdays all day! I can send out a WhenIsGood if that will help!

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
For these sorts of events I usually do it as organizer's choice/whenever works best for the person running it, but if you'd like to do a WhenIsGood to see when other people would be available to play, feel free!

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Is the idea that this is an open-to-all RP where people can bring whatever character they like, whether or not they're interested in Heartache, or is it intended to be a testing ground for people who intend to participate in the campaign? The former's fine; I think the latter would be better off as its own thing, to occur sometime later in May or June.

That's not a problem! We'd be more-or-less following Namo's precedent, in that it would be a game of Truth Or Dare, with no particular relevance to the campaign itself, and indeed open to all (while not requiring that participating characters be destined for the campaign).

Top Bottom