• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

First Anniversary Event Planning

What kind of mafia game would you enjoy playing in?

• No RP--straight mafia

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • RP-optional mafia

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Full-RP mafia

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
As I'm sure no one but me is aware, the Thousand Roads community's first anniversary is coming up in two weeks! I have a number of things planned, but I'm wondering what other people might be interested in trying out. Here's some of what I have on the schedule:

- We'll be playing another game of mafia for sure!

- A small, low-key reviewing event

- A big voice chat on the Discord server--I think it would be fun to try and get as many people in on it as possible and have a big, freewheeling convo! Perhaps two chats in order to account for timezone issues?

- I'd also like a small writing event to complement the reviewing one. A couple options I've considered are a mini/ultra-fast exquiste corpse variant or some kind of prompt-based challenge, maybe a flash fiction challenge where the idea is to write and post a thousand-word story in a week, or something. Or perhaps something collaborative, but not an exquisite corpse? Very open to suggestions on this one.

- I think it would also be fun to host a Discord game night or two--perhaps a reprise of One Night Ultimate Werewolf or For the Queen? Or we could try something new; there are plenty of games that could work over Discord.

I'm open to suggestions in general--what I'm looking for are quick, low-pressure sorts of activities where people could easily pick a couple they were interested in and have time to do both. Feel free to comment on anything here or suggest something completely different. And one way or another... keep an eye out for the actual event later this month!

WildBoots

Don’t underestimate seeds.
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. moka-mark
  2. solrock
I’ve been thinking about running For the Queen again!

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Speedrun exquisite corpse, big voice chat, and One Night Ultimate Werewolf are all things I can get behind! :D

Meridian

local liminal entity
Pronouns
any/all
oh wow I thought this community had been around for a fairly long while.
I'm an idea machine so I def have some thoughts

- a simple art exchange (and by simple I mean more joke exchange than serious)

- does this forum have a mascot so far? I use the shaymin theme so I just assumed it was, but if there isn't there could def be a "lets design an OC together" concept. whether it's a trainer/gym leader/or pmd character would be up to the event

- a general-purpose roleplay, maybe something like a fic character masquerade?

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
I’ve been thinking about running For the Queen again!
Excellent! I would definitely try to get in the next game.

Speedrun exquisite corpse, big voice chat, and One Night Ultimate Werewolf are all things I can get behind! :D
Awesome! Would you be willing to host the ONUW game? This one I think I'd be able to do myself, but you definitely have more experience.

oh wow I thought this community had been around for a fairly long while.
I'm an idea machine so I def have some thoughts

- a simple art exchange (and by simple I mean more joke exchange than serious)

- does this forum have a mascot so far? I use the shaymin theme so I just assumed it was, but if there isn't there could def be a "lets design an OC together" concept. whether it's a trainer/gym leader/or pmd character would be up to the event

- a general-purpose roleplay, maybe something like a fic character masquerade?
Jokey art exchange sounds like it could be fun! I wonder if there could be a fun way to combine that with the exquisite corpse/other writing activity, hmm...

The forum doesn't have an official mascot! I've generally used sky-Shaymin because that ended up being the default skin and I like the colors, but we could certainly come up with something else. Is there anyone else who would be interested in this kind of an activity?

The mafia is kind of its own little fic character masquerade, but I imagine some people would probably enjoy something where their character isn't put in mortal peril. Is that's something you would be willing to run? Unfortunately I can't commit to another RP-like-thing on top of running the mafia or I will die, but if someone else is open to doing a little RP, I think it could be fun!

WildBoots

Don’t underestimate seeds.
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. moka-mark
  2. solrock
I’ll spitball some FtQ dates in the chat. 💪

Werewolf and Mafia are fun but stressful. I’ll play by ear whether I’ll join. Down for joke art exchange.

Last edited:

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
I'm down for pretty much anything that's been suggested already (though the corpse or art exchange in particular interest me) but I don't know which ones I'll actually have time for.

kintsugi

golden scars | pfp by sun
the warmth of summer in the songs you write
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. silvally-grass
  2. lapras
  3. golurk
  4. booper-kintsugi
  5. meloetta-kint-muse
  6. meloetta-kint-dancer
  7. murkrow
  8. yveltal
If you need help running a review event, I'd be happy to reprise! I think Review Roulette has had reasonable success for fast-paced/quick turnaround, but I also think a generalform "write as many reviews as you can in X hours", like a really miniaturized Review Blitz, could potentially favor towards smaller/faster reviews.

Writing event - I made a shitpost in the discord, but I do think drabbles (100 words @ prompts) would be really fun, and the opportunity to pun on thousand roads / thousand words is *chef's kiss*

kyeugh

you gotta feel your lines
Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
The mafia is kind of its own little fic character masquerade, but I imagine some people would probably enjoy something where their character isn't put in mortal peril. Is that's something you would be willing to run? Unfortunately I can't commit to another RP-like-thing on top of running the mafia or I will die, but if someone else is open to doing a little RP, I think it could be fun!
mafia sounds fun but tbh i’m not huuuge on the roleplay aspect of the last one personally so i’m kind of in favor of separating the rp and mafia things. people making in-character decisions at the expense of solving and getting on me for not rping kinda took me out of the game. but i know a lot of people liked that aspect so that’s just my two cents

drabbles/art exchange sound really fun!

Meridian

local liminal entity
Pronouns
any/all
so i’m kind of in favor of separating the rp and mafia things
drabbles/art exchange sound really fun!

yeah same, but from a roleplayer's perspective. most of the times I've played it's not set up as any specific characters and more me trying to play my role. So while I think mixing the two is a neat concept, I'm also personally not down for it.
I also lack a microphone past the one built into my laptop. my headset's at the end of it's lifespan so it's really not optimal for me to try right now.

beyond that I'm also up for a drabble event, and glad to see people are interested in an art exchange.
would it be better to do a secret santa setup, or something else? I'm assuming the latter considering timespan until the event would have to happen, but I figured it should be asked regardless.

Pen

the cat is mightier than the pen
Staff
Partners
  1. dratini
  2. dratini-pen
  3. dratini-pen2
Drabble prompt event sounds like fun!

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
mafia sounds fun but tbh i’m not huuuge on the roleplay aspect of the last one personally so i’m kind of in favor of separating the rp and mafia things.
yeah same, but from a roleplayer's perspective. most of the times I've played it's not set up as any specific characters and more me trying to play my role. So while I think mixing the two is a neat concept, I'm also personally not down for it.
I also agree.
Vote: Separate RP and Mafia

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Depends on the RP, I'd say... I had a lot of fun RPing mafia, and the RP aspect was what made this game unique. It does get awkward just because imagining actual people in a realistic situation and strategizing according to board game mechanics don't entirely jive with each other; on the other hand, I personally had a great time with putting Dave in this sort of nonsense situation that seems to be directed by uncaring gods toying with them for fun.

If we had a regular mafia game and some kind of fairly mundane RP, I would definitely miss last year's mafia. But I'm sure there could be an RP concept I'd enjoy.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
If RP and Mafia are separated, I'll probably sit out, as the RP aspect was definitely the only reason I ejoyed the mafia game. But that said, if it's what the majority prefer, I understand. At the very least, I definitely wouldn't want there to be an expectation for "amount of RPing" to reflect on someone's guilt or innocence, and I think that would need to be established.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
We could also do a mafia game with optional RPing. :P People who want to RP do it, others who don't really want to just post as themselves.

kyeugh

you gotta feel your lines
Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
We could also do a mafia game with optional RPing. :P People who want to RP do it, others who don't really want to just post as themselves.
would definitely not mind this! i enjoyed seeing everyone else play it out and even liked writing my own stuff when the inspiration came to me, but did not really like feeling pressured to wrap all my thoughts in prose. this is a good middle ground i think...!

Starlight Aurate

Ad Jesum per Mariam | pfp by kintsugi
Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
I was not here for any previous RP/mafia game, but I think they sound fun! I also like the idea of drabbles prompts and a joke art exchange. Tbh I'll take part in whatever is decided, but the ones I mentioned are my favorites :)

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
I’ll spitball some FtQ dates in the chat. 💪

Werewolf and Mafia are fun but stressful. I’ll play by ear whether I’ll join. Down for joke art exchange.
Thanks for getting started with scheduling! I'll try to make whatever date eventually gets decided on (as long as it's not the 6 pm one, I'm one of the haters lol).

I'm down for pretty much anything that's been suggested already (though the corpse or art exchange in particular interest me) but I don't know which ones I'll actually have time for.
Awesome! And yeah, I wanted to have a variety of smaller things for people to pick from where they don't feel pressured to engage with all of them. Hopefully you'll have the time to try one or two that interest you!

If you need help running a review event, I'd be happy to reprise! I think Review Roulette has had reasonable success for fast-paced/quick turnaround, but I also think a generalform "write as many reviews as you can in X hours", like a really miniaturized Review Blitz, could potentially favor towards smaller/faster reviews.

Writing event - I made a shitpost in the discord, but I do think drabbles (100 words @ prompts) would be really fun, and the opportunity to pun on thousand roads / thousand words is *chef's kiss*
For the review event, I was thinking something even more casual, like, one-two reviews over the course of the whole event casual, haha. Super-fast review windows would definitely encourage smaller and faster reviews, but I think would also still be kind of stressful/frantic. I think that might be something to try, but maybe not as part of this particular event. Reviews done for a Review Roulette roll would definitely count towards the event, though, and I think at least a couple rolls over the course of the event could work out nicely!

I was initially thinking flash fiction, so very thousand-themed, but it sounds like people have been liking the idea of drabbles, so that's where I'm leaning as well. They're certainly faster/less intimidating than even thousand-word pieces.

I also lack a microphone past the one built into my laptop. my headset's at the end of it's lifespan so it's really not optimal for me to try right now.

beyond that I'm also up for a drabble event, and glad to see people are interested in an art exchange.
would it be better to do a secret santa setup, or something else? I'm assuming the latter considering timespan until the event would have to happen, but I figured it should be asked regardless.
Understandable about the RP/mafia thing. More about that at the end of this post. Glad you'd be interested in a drabble event or art exchange, though! I think the format is a good question. I had been thinking of integrating the two somehow, for example people using a drawing from another member as a prompt, or people making art inspired by others' drabbles. A straight-up exchange would be good, too, though. I'll put a question about that at the end of the post.

Drabble prompt event sounds like fun!
Excellent, we'll definitely be doing one of these. :)

I was not here for any previous RP/mafia game, but I think they sound fun! I also like the idea of drabbles prompts and a joke art exchange. Tbh I'll take part in whatever is decided, but the ones I mentioned are my favorites :)
Awesome! Hopefully you'll enjoy the event when it gets rolling.

Also, thanks to everyone who weighed in with their opinions on the mafia game! I know that the RP style we did last year isn't to everyone's taste. I'm open to making it RP-optional (although you'd still need to pick a character to enter with, as that's how the roles are themed), although I'm not sure that would solve the issue of some people making in-character decisions rather than solving the game as normal? Seems like it might increase the friction between people who want to RP and people who want to focus more on straight analysis.

Regardless, is there anyone who would be interested in running some kind of RP event? I can certainly do a mafia game without RP elements, but I still won't be able to handle running both at once. It sounds like there's good interest in some kind of RP in general, so I'll plan on something along those lines (not connected to another kind of game) for next year, but I'm not going to be able to scrape one together in the next couple weeks.

And, if you'd be interested in playing mafia, would you be interested in an RP-optional version, or would you prefer no RP at all? I think an RP-optional rather than an RP-required would be my preferred option, but if people would generally prefer a straight mafia game with no RP whatsoever, we could try that instead.

I also discussed the drabble/art exchange thing a little above, but I was wondering, would people prefer an event where people created art as a prompt for drabbles/drew art based on others' drabbles, or a secret-Santa style art exchange?

I'll start trying to schedule the voice chat(s) and other Discord events in the next couple days, too, so keep an eye out!

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
I'd enjoy art based on drabbles or vice versa! I think that'd be more fun and probably thematically appropriate for a fanfic forum than a straight art exchange.

Top Bottom