• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Fall 2020 Mafia - Game Thread

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
(alright, i'll be going to sleep soon. back to Phantump.)

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Page 42, give it up for page 42

Also, considering this game is obviously going to be literally decided by two coinflips, I'm ok with day skipping. Nothings really going to happen at this point.

Starlight Aurate

Ad Jesum per Mariam | pfp by kintsugi
Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
Hi everyone, since it seems that all the players have made up their minds, what does everyone say to shortening the day? I'm thinking of making day/night phases 24 hours instead of 48. Let me know!

Starlight Aurate

Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
The four remaining survivors glared at each other, Kekoa and the Braixen standing off against Ashwood and the Kirlia.

Psychic energy emanated from the Kirlia’s horns as she raged at Salac.

“How could you!” she screamed. “After all this time—it was you taking out each of our friends and lying about it so we’d end up picking off each other!”

“You even turned Desper against me,” Ashwood choked though tears. “I—I fell in love. The only love I’d ever known—and I was forced to get rid of him!”

Shimmer pointed at the Braixen. “I say we vote her out!”

“Agreed,” Ashwood said with a dirty glare.

Puffs of smoke curled from Salac’s mouth. “Just try!” she growled. “I think it’s time we take Ahswood out!”

Kekoa looked uncomfortable with the others raising their voices but nodded along with Salac’s suggestion.

In the black sky, the pearly white moon reached its zenith and shone directly down on the four survivors. In the distance, they could dimly hear a deep gong from a bell ring out. Faint at first, it grew in magnitude.

Gong…

Salac and Shimmer pointed at each other and shouted, releasing sparks and bursts of psychic energy. Flames jettisoned from Salac’s mouth—Shimmer nimbly dodged and the fire hit a row of dead trees, sending them up in a cackling inferno.

Gong…

Shimmer sent waves of fairy energy through the air at Salac. The Braixen skittered over the ground and past flaming bushes as Shimmer’s attacks crashed into rocks, reducing them to pebbles.

Gong…

Their clamor sent tremors through the dirt and up Ashwood’s and Kekoa’s legs, the former of whom had gabbed the latter’s shirt and began shaking them roughly.

GONG…

The four of them stopped fighting and shouting as they realized that the tremors came not from the Pokemon fight but from the unseen gonging bell. Ashwood let go of Kekoa’s shirt as they felt the ground shift beneath their feet.

Ashwood let out a cry as the ground rumbled and cracked open right before them, sending them falling face-first into an endless black abyss.

Fear caught in their throat as they fell weightless into the earth’s maw. The heat from Salac’s inferno was gone as deathly cold air from the pit enveloped them, turning their blood to ice and leeching out life.

So this was how it was to end, was it? All that hard work—only to be subject to the cruelty of chance and to meet a grisly end. At least they got to know love—better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. And this way, perhaps, they could finally see Desper again…

Ashwood (Equitia) was eliminated. He was Innocent.

“Ashwood!” Shimmer screamed as she watched her companion disappear into the great hole. She peered down, trying to see them in the glow of the firelight. But the depths quickly disappeared into blackness.

“Why are you worrying about them?”

Shimmer turned around and saw Salac and Kekoa staring down at her. The glow of blazing flames highlighted their features and sent ghastly shadows dancing across the ground. The two of them were unlike anything she had seen before—their faces were twisted and distorted beyond natural dimensions and some dark, ethereal energy emanated from each of them. In spite of the heat from the flames, Shimmer’s blood ran cold. Salac’s face cracked into an uncanny, wide smile as her glinting red eyes stared at the quivering Kirlia.

“They had it coming,” Kekoa said—but that voice was not like Kekoa’s at all. It was very deep and sounded as though multiple people spoke at once.

“Now you’re left all alone, aren’t you?” Salac said—like Kekoa, she spoke with the voices of a thousand people joined in unison.

Shimmer stared back at the two of them, her fear reducing her to numb silence.

“You should be worried about yourself!” Salac cackled and before Shimmer could respond, the Braixen pushed her into the pit. Shimmer screamed as her feet left the ground.

“No! NO!” she cried out, sending erratic bursts of psychic energy. How could this happen? She couldn’t die like this! She couldn’t—she had made her way through mystery dungeons and fought off strange Pokemon before! She couldn’t leave behind everyone she knew—he father, Muse, and her dearest Toshi! But as the blackness grew around her, Kekoa and Salac were lost to sight. The last thing Shimmer saw was the two of them glaring down at her, their ghoulish red eyes burning in the light of the inferno.

Mafia reached a majority.

The Mafia win!

Starlight Aurate

Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
That's game! Thanks so much to everyrone who participated. I certainly had fun, and I hope some of you did, too!

Here are the Roles and Night Action log if anyone would like to take a look. (Yes, I messed up and made a bulletproof Mafia when there was no Innocent vigilante... oops).

Windskull (Shimmer)
Ability: Psychic Insight

What is this horrible place you’re stuck in? Is it, like, some new kind of mystery dungeon? Where are Muse and your beloved Toshi? Will you have to make it out of here on your own? Fortunately, your use of psychic powers has been getting better! Now you can see what’s happening around you that others can’t!

You are aligned with the Innocents and win when all non-Innocent players are slain. Once per night you may choose another player to watch. If you do, at the end of the night you will receive a PM containing the names of all the players who used their abilities on your target during the night.

DawningWinds (Iona)
Ability: Extreme Survivor Skills

You’re no quitter, and this strange, spooky place definitely isn’t going to deter you! You waited at a Pokemon lab for fifteen hours just to get your first starter Pokemon and dealt with Legendary Pokemon. No possessed people are going to get to you or anyone around you, not if you can help it! You need to survive, and surviving here means stopping those who would kill you and the others.

You are aligned with the Innocents and win when all non-Innocent players are slain. Once per night you may choose another player and prevent them from acting. Any ability the targetted player tries to use that night will fail.

Persephone (Kekoa)
Ability: Supernatural Endurance

This is all bullshit. You’re stuck in a random place with a bunch of idiots who are freaking out over whether they’ve been possessed by spirits or whether they’re going to be killed. You’ve always liked fighting games, but your parents hardly let you play any. Maybe now it’s time to take things into your own hands and make all others your target.

You are aligned with the Mafia and win when Mafia-aligned players make up the majority of remaining players. Your associates are Salac (Shiny Phantump) and Desper (Tanuki). You may communicate freely with other Mafia-aligned players outside the game thread.
You cannot be eliminated during the night. If all other Mafia-aligned players have been eliminated, you will lose this ability and instead gain the ability to choose one other player to eliminate per night.

Equitia (Ashwood)
Ability: Concrete Results

This place gives you the creeps. It doesn’t look like something you can muscle your way through—there’s no exit to this spooky place in sight! There’s something about the overall atmosphere of the place that distinctly feels wrong. It’s so hard to keep your head on straight when you have all these eerie ghosts moaning and flying about you. You’ll have to keep a close eye on the others and see if they have any success.

You are Innocent-aligned and win when all non-Innocent players are slain. Once per night, you can select a player to “check.” Checking a player will allow you to see if the action they performed that same night was successful or not.

Fusion (Koraza)
Ability: Deceptive Shield

You wished people had more faith in you. Sure, you weren’t always the best at figuring out right or wrong, or who was innocent or guilty, or… Well, you had trouble figuring out a lot of things. But what you might lack in brain power, you make up for with brute force. Everyone else might be afraid of these spirits, but nothing here will take you down!

You are Innocent-aligned and win when all non-Innocent players are slain. Once per game, if you would be eliminated during the night, you will survive instead. You will be informed when this ability has been activated, but not why or by whom.

DeliriousAbsol (Enigma)
Ability: Ghastly Perception

This place doesn’t look all that different from Hydreigon’s realm! And you have to find and slay those possessed by spirits? How fun! Being a ghost and one of Hydreigon’s top soldiers, there’s nothing here that can scare you. You’ve always been an expert at collecting information, and your skills here will be invaluable.

You are Innocent-aligned and win when all non-Innocent players are slain. Once per night you may choose another player and inspect their spirit. At the end of the night you will receive a PM disclosing whether that player is aligned with the Innocents or the Mafia.

Waffle (Luna)
Ability: Selfless Support

What is this place? Everything about it seems spooky and unnatural… There are other people and Pokemon here. Some of the people seemed as creeped out as you feel, but others don’t seem bothered in the slightest. Will they be friendly? Maybe they’ll be easy to get along with—oh, but what if they’re possessed? How do you tell? This is so hard… But you know there’s good here, and you can do your best to protect it.

You are Innocent-aligned and win when all non-Innocent players are slain. Once per night you may choose another player to defend. If you do, that player will be immune to any attempts to eliminate them during that night.

Tanuki (Desper)
Ability: Wild West Defense

Well, just look at all ‘em people ‘n Pokemon ‘n spirits ‘n things! Y’never wanted this, an’ y’never thought the day would come when you’d be meetin’ all ‘at hocus-pocus-spooky-wooky stuff. But life in the desert and out on the frontier has taught you to be quicker ‘an a ‘Chu on ‘roids! Ain’t nobody out here can match yer wit, yer quickdraw (though ye’d like to see ‘em try!), and yer impeccable perception. You an’ the boss’ll get outta here alive, or some varmint’s gonna get what’s comin’ to ‘em!

You are aligned with the Mafia and win when Mafia-aligned players make up the majority of remaining players. Your associates are Salac (Shiny Phantump) and Kekoa (Persephone). You may communicate freely with other Mafia-aligned players outside the game thread.

Once per night you may choose another player and render their power useless. Any ability the targetted player tries to use that night will fail. If Shiny Phantump has been eliminated, you will lose this ability and instead gain the ability to choose one other player to eliminate per night.

Shiny Phantump (Salac)
Ability: The Magical Science of Life and Death

Science, magic—those are just two sides of the same coin, are they not? And you’re sure that all the paraphernalia happening her has an explanation to it. As your gaze rests on the cemetery, your heart sinks a little further. You hope the shrine is okay in the time you’re away. You’ve got to do your best to get back there soon. Until then, maybe you can learn more about this strange place.

You are aligned with the Mafia and win when Mafia-aligned players make up the majority of remaining players. Your subordinates are Desper (Tanuki) and Kekoa (Persephone). You may communicate freely with other Mafia-aligned players outside the game thread. Once per night, you may choose one other player to eliminate.

SparklingEspeon (Detective Looker)
Ability: More than just an MD

People randomly ending up in a strange place? And falling under spiritual possession? Neither of those things are good, and both require immediate action. You aren’t sure how to proceed with investigation—you’ve never dealt with the supernatural before. But you have other skills that you can put to good use, even in a supernatural place like this. You knew getting that Doctor of Medicine degree would pay off someday.

You are Innocent-aligned and win when all non-Innocent players are slain. Beginning on any night you choose, you may select one player to defend throughout the rest of the game. Until you die, that player will be protected from any attempts to kill them at night.

Night 0
  • Equitia checks windskull (result: unsuccessful)
  • Windskull watches SparklingEspeon (blocked)
  • DawningWinds does nothing
  • DeliriousAbsol inspects Tanuki (read: Mafia)
  • Tanuki blocks windskull
  • SparklingEspeon does nothing

Night 1
  • Tanuki: blocks Equitia
  • Shiny Phantump: targets windskull (blocked)
  • DawningWinds: blocks Shiny Phantump
  • Equitia: checks SparklingEspeon (blocked)
  • SparklingEspeon: does nothing
  • Waffle: does nothing
  • Windskull: watches DawningWinds (result: nothing)
No one dies!

Night 2 Actions
  • Tanuki: blocks DawningWinds
  • Shiny Phantump: targets nobody
  • DawningWinds: blocks Shiny Phantump (blocked)
  • Equitia: checks Shiny Phantump (result: none)
  • SparklingEspeon: protects windskull
  • Waffle: protects Equitia
  • Windskull: watches Equitia (sees: Waffle)
No one dies!

Night 3 Actions
  • Tanuki: blocks Waffle
  • Shiny Phantump: targets SparklingEspeon
  • Equitia: checks Persephone (result: no result)
  • SparklingEspeon: protects windskull
  • Waffle: protects Shiny Phantump (blocked)
  • Windskull: watches Waffle (sees: Tanuki)
SparklingEspeon dies!

Night 4 actions:
  • Shiny Phantump: targets Waffle
  • Equitia: checks Shiny Phantump
  • Waffle: protects windskull
  • Windskull: watches Waffle
Waffle dies!

Last edited:

Starlight Aurate

Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
In case anyone was wondering why Fusion felt so confident letting the others vote for him:

Attachments

• Fusion.JPG
    Fusion.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 22

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
@Starlight Aurate Can I be added to the scum chat? (I'm sorry if this is a weird question and/or seems against Mafia etiquette for you guys it's pretty normal on Bulba.)

Also Fuse why didn't you counterclaim Phan?

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
Balance thoughts (note that I am no expert):
Mafia:
Bulletproof
Roleblocker
Don

Town:
Cop
1x-Bulletproof
Roleblocker
Tracker/Motion-Detector Hybrid
Doc
Seraph Knight
Watcher

I'd probably replace the Seraph Knight or the Doc with something else- as it is, I think there's too much protection for only one killing role. Either replace the doc with a weaker protection role such as Babysister or Bodyguard, or cut the Seraph Knight entirely for a role that isn't a protective or investigative role.

For investigative roles, I think there's maybe too many of those, too, or they need other roles to weaken them. If you were to put a Miller over the Seraph Knight and made the don a Godfather as well, that would weaken the cop a bit (alternatively, make the Bulletproof scum Ascetic instead so it weakens all the invest roles- probably have the Miller either way). If you weren't putting in weakening roles, I'd actually drop the cop. This game is really small, so having a role that can, with complete accuracy, determine someone's alignment is probably a bit too powerful, even with the roleblockers to weaken it. If you were to go for a weaker protection role instead of doc and keep the seraph, you could maybe mske the cop a vig and keep scum's bulletproof (you could maybe even keep the doc a plain doc if you did this).

The scumteam isn't super strong, role-wise (with all claims out the roleblocker is more powerful but that's not a balance thing, that's the player's fault), which is good because a three-person team in a game this size would lean heavily scum-sided if they had, say, a Rolecop-Roleblocker-1x Strongman setup. But maybe a bit too weak with the town as strong as they are. Also, giving them bulletproof when there's no way for someone to die at night is bullshit. It reminds me of when I was Godfather in a game with no cop- just tell the bulletproof player that they're a Mafia goon. Or make them ascetic as I said before, I think that would balance it slightly more. I'd change the inheritance order of the don to the bulletproof player (or whatever you were to change them to) before the roleblocker regardless of what else you were to change about this setup.

Yeah I'm just poking at the balance because I feel like it's town-sided a bit (even though Mafia won) and I have nothing better to do so I'm giving suggestions that honestly would probably not fix it.

Speaking of Mafia winning, congratulations Phan, Nuki, and Perse! You four did well.

Top Bottom